PDA

View Full Version : SI Humor - Flanagan's take on Mario

Outlander
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
See the link...it gave me a chuckle. The more I read from the national media outlets they seem to be finally getting on the Mario bandwagon after seeing him practice. Is it me or is the national media keeping their pie hole shut about Bush? I haven't seen many articles about him. That and he isn't mention often on the NFL network on Sirius.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/missed.it2/content.6.html

Double Barrel
08-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Nice find. Thanks for posting it. :thumbup

I think Mario will more than prove his worth. And my prediction is that he'll be playing and making an impact long after Bush has retired.

NoBullTexan
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
In the videos I've seen, he has been punishing all the offensive linemen that go against him.

BigDTexansFan
08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
if that is what OUR O-Line is feeling, imagine the opponents O-Line..am betting there are a lot of guys asking for help or as you would say it in a cartoon....HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!:fireball:

TexanSam
08-09-2006, 08:11 PM
In the videos I've seen, he has been punishing all the offensive linemen that go against him.

I hope Courtney Brown wasn't doing the same after he got drafted #1...

joshri
08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
About Courtney Brown....

I have always dreaded that also. Those guys were nothing like Mario though.

I think Mario is more like another former #1 D pick. Bruce Smith

DocBar
08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
He looks taller on TV. No wonder Mario is taking his lunch money.

mexican_texan
08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I hope Courtney Brown wasn't doing the same after he got drafted #1...
Ryan Leaf was doing great in camp and practices...different position, same situation.

DocBar
08-09-2006, 11:35 PM
yea they know they will just sit back and watch REGGIE do his thing. no need to talk only about him. and if you can post some links about how great MARIO will be. we would like to read them.
No NEED to talk about him, or just nothing to talk ABOUT? And,um, that WAS a post about how good Mario IS. He's gonna be like fine wine...better with age. Unlike most RB's. This is killing me. The entire NFL world is PO'd at us for taking Mario, but we have to deal with sAint's fans who are mad because they have the second coming of Eric Metcalf Jr. on their hands. Just look forward to 3rd downs, Broussard. You'll have plenty of them, and that's when the Bush will hit the fan, I mean field.

YoungTexanFan
08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Ryan Leaf was doing great in camp and practices...different position, same situation.

Ryan Leaf was supposed to be picked where he was, it was a true toss up in all scouts eyes between him and Manning. The fact that he failed is different, as is the situation that he was in as compared to Mario's. Mario was not really expected or even thought of to go first overall until a few days before the draft, Leaft was always a top contender.

mexican_texan
08-09-2006, 11:42 PM
yea they know they will just sit back and watch REGGIE do his thing. no need to talk only about him. and if you can post some links about how great MARIO will be. we would like to read them.
hmmm...We have plenty of pics and tapes of Mario in practice...see, he didn't hold out, he came into the OTAs.

infantrycak
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Mario was not really expected or even thought of to go first overall until a few days before the draft, Leaft was always a top contender.

7 teams would disagree with you. Now draftsperts are a whole nuther matter.

mexican_texan
08-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Ryan Leaf was supposed to be picked where he was, it was a true toss up in all scouts eyes between him and Manning. The fact that he failed is different, as is the situation that he was in as compared to Mario's. Mario was not really expected or even thought of to go first overall until a few days before the draft, Leaft was always a top contender.
What I meant is that the performance now doesn't count, its the regular season that counts.

tulexan
08-09-2006, 11:52 PM

Ask and you shall receive

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9593266

The atmosphere in Houston is completely different. This is a team that could surprise some people. The Texans have some good young players. With first overall draft pick Mario Williams at defensive end and a good young linebacker in second-round pick DeMeco Ryans, the defense should be improved.

Running back Domanick Davis is a question mark due to injuries. He might not gain 1,000 yards this season, but Houston should be fine with a running back by committee. Despite uncertainty at the position, though, I still think they made the right decision by taking Williams over Reggie Bush with the top pick in the draft.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3816992.html

Williams, who is entering the NFL draft as a junior, put on an extraordinary exhibition at the Indianapolis scouting combine. He was 6-7, 295 when he ran the 40 in 4.70 seconds, benched 225 pounds 35 times and had a 40 1/2 -inch vertical jump the same as Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush.

Every coach in the NFL would love to have Williams on his roster.

I haven't seen a guy like this in years," said Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who's expected to take a quarterback with the third overall pick. "I've seen impact players but nobody that has the potential to impact a defense like him.

Hervoyel
08-10-2006, 01:31 AM
I think it's a negative that a thread can't focus on Mario Williams without Reggie Bushs name coming up.

I care as much about Reggie Bush right now as I do about Tiki Barber. I'm not interested in news about Tiki and I don't have anything to say to Giants fans who might come in here to talk about him. Last I heard he wasn't a Texan. Niether is Reggie Bush. That marks the end of my interest.

mexican_texan
08-10-2006, 01:45 AM
I think it's a negative that a thread can't focus on Mario Williams without Reggie Bushs name coming up.

I care as much about Reggie Bush right now as I do about Tiki Barber. I'm not interested in news about Tiki and I don't have anything to say to Giants fans who might come in here to talk about him. Last I heard he wasn't a Texan. Niether is Reggie Bush. That marks the end of my interest.
Unfortunately, most, if not all, of articles written about the Texans will feature the name Reggie Bush. It's inevitable.

6 of 11The reality of the Texans drafting Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush is just settling in for center Mike Flanagan.

http://i.a.cnn.net./si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/missed.it2/images/080406_7.jpg

TexanSam
08-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I hope that's a personal bucket for Flanagan.

tulexan
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Unfortunately, most, if not all, of articles written about the Texans will feature the name Reggie Bush. It's inevitable.

Hopefully they will start to be quotes like "Texans were right to pick Mario over Reggie"

beerlover
08-10-2006, 08:54 PM

although many here understand & may agree with this viewpoint, its a part of draft history that may never go away don't blame your every day fan for this unrelenting slew of opinion, heaven forbid David misteps and VY leads the Titans over the Texans latter this season.

as was posted (for those here for pre-draft discussions) the Texans could be winners with selecting any of the top 3 prospects (Mario, Bush & VY). I'm very happy with the results, but I would have also been happy with any of the others as well, the Texans received adequate compensation for failing so miserably last season, but the main coup may have been getting Kubiak & ensuing exodus :redtowel: