PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Clarett arrested after highway chase

texan279
08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5858558

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Maurice Clarett was arrested early Wednesday after a highway chase that ended with police using Mace on the former Ohio State running back and finding four loaded guns in his truck, a police spokesman said.

Officers used Mace to subdue Clarett after a stun gun was ineffective because the former Fiesta Bowl star was wearing a bullet-resistant vest, Sgt. Michael Woods said.
"It took several officers to get him handcuffed," Woods said. "Even after he was placed in the paddy wagon, he was still kicking at the doors and being a problem for the officers."

Clarett was taken to police headquarters to be interviewed. Police planned to charge him with carrying concealed weapons and other counts, Woods said.

Clarett made an illegal U-turn on the city's east side and failed to stop when officers, in a cruiser with lights flashing, tried to pull him over, Woods said.

Police were pursuing Clarett on eastbound Interstate 70 when he darted across the median and began heading west. Clarett drove over a spike strip that was placed on the highway, flattening the driver's side tires of the SUV, Woods said.

Clarett exited the highway and pulled into a restaurant parking lot, where officers removed him from the SUV after he failed to obey numerous orders to exit the vehicle, Woods said.

After Clarett was placed in a police van, officers discovered a loaded rifle and three loaded handguns in the front of the vehicle, Woods said.

Woods said he did not know where Clarett got the guns or why he had them, and that federal authorities plan to trace their ownership.

Clarett, 22, is currently awaiting trial on two counts of aggravated robbery, four counts of robbery and one count of carrying a concealed weapon in a separate case. Authorities said he was identified by witnesses as the person who flashed a gun and robbed two people in an alley behind the Opium Lounge in the early hours of Jan. 1.

Messages seeking comment were left Wednesday morning for Clarett's attorneys in that case, Nick Mango and Michael Hoague.

chuckm
08-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Messages seeking comment were left Wednesday morning for Clarett's attorneys in that case, Nick Mango and Michael Hoague.

Looks like these guys will be busy for quite a while ....

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I wonder if he plays "Grand Theft Auto" video game, cause it sounds like he's playing it out in real life.

tulexan
08-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Think about how different his life would've been if he stayed in school rather than trying to go into the draft.

disaacks3
08-09-2006, 09:55 AM
WOW, just WOW.

There's not a lot of wiggle room here for the last remaining Clarett supporters. Wearing a bullet-proof vest, loaded weapons in the front seat, trying to do his own re-enactment of a "Cops" car chase sequence (including spike strips)...these things don't bode too well.

I hope he gets himself straightened out while in the slammer, looks like he's destined to spend some time there.

Lucky
08-09-2006, 10:05 AM
There's not a lot of wiggle room here for the last remaining Clarett supporters.
Maurice was merely on his way to Cincy for a tryout. Who wouldn't vest up and pack some artillery if you went to the Bengals camp?

Chicagotexan1
08-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Think about how different his life would've been if he stayed in school rather than trying to go into the draft.

Think about how different his life would've been if he stayed out of trouble and didn't hang with thugs. I take that back, that was not fair. Perhaps Clarrett IS just a low life thug on his own?

Yankee_In_TX
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Please move this to off topic!! It offends me as an Ohio State and an NFL fan that he keeps making ESPN headlines.

powerfuldragon
08-09-2006, 11:01 AM
what a twit.

Hutch13
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
What a punk. Hes going to busy for awhile.

HoustonFrog
08-09-2006, 12:51 PM
"Officers used Mace to subdue Clarett after a stun gun was ineffective because the former Fiesta Bowl star was wearing a bullet-resistant vest, Sgt. Michael Woods said."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5858558

Wow, 4 guns and a bullet proof vest. Wonder if he was heading to run errands..lol. I guess he was looking for action.:hunter:

stx-texans
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
what a waste of a talent and a life, hope he can get his life together.

Huge
08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Hindsight (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=3998&highlight=Maurice+Clarett) is always fun.

TheRealJoker
08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Maurice was merely on his way to Cincy for a tryout. Who wouldn't vest up and pack some artillery if you went to the Bengals camp?

LMAO!!!

YoungTexanFan
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Holy mother of all that is holy!! 4 loaded guns and a bullet proof vest and a police chase don't really go together at all. What was he expecting? Was this his way to restart or maybe even end his life? This scrub is freaking nuts!

He's even crazier than francis: :francis:

houstonbuckeye
08-09-2006, 03:05 PM
IT never fails to amaise how dumb this guy is

Peldon
08-09-2006, 03:13 PM
After Clarett was placed in a police van, officers discovered a loaded rifle and three loaded handguns in the front of the vehicle, Woods said.

I'm suprised the police only found four guns, they must have forgotten to check the trunk.

KKHouston
08-09-2006, 04:58 PM

As much as I don't like his behavior, I can't help but wonder what psychological problems he has. It's sad, really.

Porky
08-09-2006, 05:33 PM

5 Stars. Line of the month! Two thumbs way up. :yahoo:

kbourda
08-09-2006, 05:41 PM

If you are going to call someone dumb, at least spell "amazed" correctly. Come on. I'm normally not a "spell check cop" but felt compelled to do so in this case. On Clarett, oh well, my mom always told me a hard head makes a soft ***.

edo783
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure you guys heard that when he was at Broncos camp he would talk about "Getting his goose on" and it turned out he had Grey Goose Vodka in his water bottle at practice. Well guess what, they found a half empty bottle of Grey Goose in the car with him. This has the look of a guy who is an alcholic who might be mixed up in gang stuff, hence the guns and bullet proof vest and booz. Might have been a boozer for quit some time, maybe even back in high school and it is/has caught up with him.

Hutch13
08-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Well call me crazy but i think this kid is really good at heart. I just think he is hanging around the wrong crowd. Its pretty sad to see so much talent go waste.

texan279
08-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Well call me crazy but i think this kid is really good at heart. I just think he is hanging around the wrong crowd. Its pretty sad to see so much talent go waste.

Please tell me you forgot the sarcasm tag at the end of your post...

Hutch13
08-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Please tell me you forgot the sarcasm tag at the end of your post...

No i think he is a decent guy who made some mistakes in life. I hope he recovers from this and does something good in his life.

texan279
08-10-2006, 02:38 AM
No i think he is a decent guy who made some mistakes in life. I hope he recovers from this and does something good in his life.

The guy was indicted on 2 charges of aggravated robbery, now is involved in a police pursuit and found to be wearing a bullet proof vest and have 4 loaded weapons in the vehicle, including 3 pistols and an AK-47, and someone else earlier in this thread pointed out the allegations of him drinking vodka during practice, it really sounds like the guy has some serious mental problems or maybe as far as the police chase, wearing the bullet proof vest and having all the guns, maybe he was looking to go out in a blaze of glory so to speak.

Hutch13
08-10-2006, 02:51 AM
The guy was indicted on 2 charges of aggravated robbery, now is involved in a police pursuit and found to be wearing a bullet proof vest and have 4 loaded weapons in the vehicle, including 3 pistols and an AK-47, and someone else earlier in this thread pointed out the allegations of him drinking vodka during practice, it really sounds like the guy has some serious mental problems or maybe as far as the police chase, wearing the bullet proof vest and having all the guns, maybe he was looking to go out in a blaze of glory so to speak.

I Know, I know. Im usually hard on guys like this. But for some reason i feel like he could be a decent guy.

HeartofHouston
08-10-2006, 08:42 AM
All i can say is forget that whole, he's hanging with the wrong crowd stuff, he is the bad influence he is a spawn of reckleness and trouble.

Besides.. where the heck could you be going with a Bullet Proof Vest and 4 Loaded Guns??.... Church?? Grocery Shopping??

Texans_Chick
08-10-2006, 10:00 AM
It was just reported by David Stein on the David Stein show (late night Sportsradio 610am) that he was in the neighborhood of some lady that was supposed to testify against him next week. You guys do the math on that one.

Interesting.

Given what he had on him, I thought he might be trying to do suicide by cop and chickened out. Wearing a vest makes them take him down with a headshot.

Just so messed up.

J-Storm
08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I seriously thought this was a joke when I saw the headline. All I can say is some of what has been said above, the guy obv. has a lot of BIG issues that he needs a LOT of help to deal with.

I know it's hard to feel sorry for a guy who does stuff like he has recently, but it really is sad and is a shame to see guys with talent waste the talent they have been given by God and throw it away over things we have no idea about going on with him. Here's hoping he can get help in prison and turn himself around in some way for good when he gets out...

Porky
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM

May I ask how old you are?

tulexan
08-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Has anyone else heard that he was listening to Children's music?

I don't know what his plan was that night, but whatever it was, it wasn't a good one.

Enjoy prison Maurice...Maybe you can star in the real life version of The Longest Yard

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I think you got it backwards....Maurice IS the wrong crowd. Don't let nice kids near him. Clarett is nothing to pity imo. He wasted his talent.

Pity, no. Compassion for another human being, yes. It's clear he has psychological issues, and serious ones at that. Not all people choose the path, regardless of what one may think. I hope he gets the help he needs. I could care less about his football talent. I just don't like to see someone who is so obviously mis-firing needing help and not receiving it.

tulexan
08-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Pity, no. Compassion for another human being, yes. It's clear he has psychological issues, and serious ones at that. Not all people choose the path, regardless of what one may think. I hope he gets the help he needs. I could care less about his football talent. I just don't like to see someone who is so obviously mis-firing needing help and not receiving it.

From what I've heard about him, several people have tried to reach out and help him, but he has never listened.

MightyTExan
08-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Bail bond set at 5 meeellionn dollars.
http://www.oracleofottawa.org/drevil.jpg
http://www.click2houston.com/sports/9659325/detail.html
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was ordered held under $5 million bond on Thursday, one day after allegedly leading police on a chase with loaded weapons inside the SUV he was driving.

Porky
08-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Cry me a river. Shall I summon a violin for you. How bout some hanky's while we discuss his upbringing. :crying:

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
From what I've heard about him, several people have tried to reach out and help him, but he has never listened.

I'm sorry.. I've missed that somewhere. As for having personal experience with a family member with illness issues... sometimes, it's a matter of forcing them to listen. It sounds like he will get the help he needs now, and regardless of tossed-talent, that's a good thing.

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Cry me a river. Shall I summon a violin for you. How bout some hanky's while we discuss his upbringing. :crying:

What a rude, crass, poor taste statement. Why make it personal?

Second Honeymoon
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
This guy is just one of the many young African-American males who feels its more important to 'keep it real' and live the 'thug life' than it is to be a responsible and successful part of society. I am sure Maurice listens to all the garbage 'gangsta rap' that permeates all of our society and he has now reaped the rewards of such an adulation for criminals, high dollar booze, and highpowered violence. Until the youth of our country realize that worshipping guns, diamonds, drugs, booze, and hos is not what life is about, we will continue to have people develop into scumbags such as Maurice.

And God forbid if someone in the African-American community comes out against these misguided values. He is then labeled an Uncle Tom like Bill Cosby and Spike Lee have been for making these same observations. What do these true pillars of the community have to gain by making their statements? They were only made in order to open people's eyes to the current problem but were promptly 'dissed' for doing so. The thing is the real racists in this country love perpetuating this ghetto-life mentality because it keeps the African-American community in a more retarded state of development than other communities. Trust me, I am sure that the KKK love gangsta rap and the drugs/crime that permeate some of the community.

Jim Brown tried to save this guy from himself back in the day and from what I read the Broncos tried to do the same. Dude was so braindead that he agreed to an incentive deal rather than guaranteed money when he got drafted by the Broncos WAYYY before he should have been drafted. So when he couldnt buy all the bling, booze, and hoochies that are so glamorized in videos and music, he felt he had to turn to crime to do so. Not because he didnt have other opportunities but rather because those opportunities didnt afford him the thug appeal he was looking for.

I hope the guy gets some help while in prison and can try and give back to the society that attempted to give so much to him. If he can prevent another wanna-be gangsta from following his footsteps, he may not have wasted his own life after all. I am sure its more important to him to 'represent' his hood than it is to try and make something of the gifts God gave him. Well Maurice, you represented your hood alright....congratulations on wasting your life.

Oh nice touch on it looking like he was going to assassinate a potential witness in his upcoming court case....way to keep it real Maurice.

I am sure some people will label me a racist for piling on like I am, but I am merely stating my honest feeling that the African-American community is having some growing pains in regards to what the community values, cherishes, and supports. When Bill Cosby, Colin Powell, and Condi Rice are vilified and chided by the community while DMX, 50Cent, and Lil Kimare set up as role models, you know there is something wrong.

Just my :twocents:

Doug from the Woodlands

p.s. Seems to me that 3 of the past 5 NCAA national championships have been ill-gotten due to Clarett and Bush's breaking eligibility rules during their championship runs. IMHO only UT and LSU's championships are worth anything over the past 5 years. The buckeyes are a joke and the biggest cheater's and thugs in recent history. Can't wait to see them get steamrolled in Austin, as I feel they are everything that is wrong with college football and have been for the past decade.

Buckeyes = Suck
Trojans = Suck

2006 National Championship - University of Texas

Porky
08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
What a rude, crass, poor taste statement. Why make it personal?

But, it's not rude to drink and drive while wearing a bullet proof vest, with 4 loaded weapons is it?

crass Pronunciation (krs)
adj. crass·er, crass·est
So crude and unrefined as to be lacking in discrimination and sensibility.

I think I am very discriminating. I discriminated against your crapola.

HOU-TEX
08-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry.. I've missed that somewhere. As for having personal experience with a family member with illness issues... sometimes, it's a matter of forcing them to listen. It sounds like he will get the help he needs now, and regardless of tossed-talent, that's a good thing.

I saw Shanahan saying that on NFL network last night, I think. He was saying how much the Bronco Vets were trying to reach out to him and offer advice and tips to help him. He neglected to take any of it in. You reap what you sew!

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I saw Shanahan saying that on NFL network last night, I think. He was saying how much the Bronco Vets were trying to reach out to him and offer advice and tips to help him. He neglected to take any of it in. You reap what you sew!

Understood, but what I am having trouble with is that he "neglected" or "refused" help. From what I gather, he has absolutely no understanding of the seriousness of his illness. Really, I'm not a bleeding heart tree hugger... but it pains me to see illness so severe.

HOU-TEX
08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
I heard on sportsbeat that he was in camp and always talking about, "getting his goose on'' (grey goose vodka) during practice and asked that the weight coach get fired because he yelled at him...I hear he liked to stay drunk all the time. Clarett is just a sociopath.

Agreed. Didn't he show up to camp at like 250 lbs? He'll play in the NFL or any other pro football associations when :pigfly:

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I heard on sportsbeat that he was in camp and always talking about getting his 'goose' on (grey goose vodka) and asked that the weight coach get fired because he yelled at him...I hear he liked to stay drunk all the time. Clarett is just a sociopath.

Interesting. I'd like to see this footage, so will have to search for it when I get home this evening. And Vinny, you're right... He does appear to have all the signs and symptoms of a Sociopath. Most people with Antisocial Personality Disorder reject treatment which sheds some light on the above comments.

Huge
08-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I believe he does have some form of mental disability. But I believe that disability is a by-product of the stress involved from all the wrong decisions he's made in life.

So in a way it's tough to feel sorry for the guy.

Yankee_In_TX
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
America needs to STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Especially the sporting world. When was the last time an athlete fessed up? "I did something wrong, and I am sorry."

Instead of someone rubbed cream on me, or it's the NFL's fault for not letting me enter the draft.

Seriously, people saying that the NFL is partially to blame makes me sick to my stomach. The next time I apply for a job and get turned down, can I go thug life and blame the company? Seriously, it sickens me so much to hear people blame OSU and NFL.

I'm sorry he was so selfish and stupid that he blew a full academic scholarship.

I'm sorry he was so selfish and stupid that he carried a water bottle filled with Vodka at Denver practices.

No one is to blame but HIM.

the wonger need food
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
He's been given every opportunity in the world to succeed and has figured out a way to screw it up every step along the way. Some people just can't be helped and belong in a cage with the rest of the animals.

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 06:36 PM
America needs to STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Especially the sporting world. When was the last time an athlete fessed up? "I did something wrong, and I am sorry."

Instead of someone rubbed cream on me, or it's the NFL's fault for not letting me enter the draft.

Seriously, people saying that the NFL is partially to blame makes me sick to my stomach. The next time I apply for a job and get turned down, can I go thug life and blame the company? Seriously, it sickens me so much to hear people blame OSU and NFL.

I'm sorry he was so selfish and stupid that he blew a full academic scholarship.

I'm sorry he was so selfish and stupid that he carried a water bottle filled with Vodka at Denver practices.

No one is to blame but HIM.

No one to blame but him, correct. Selfish and stupid? He's ill. He has all the signs of antisocial personality disorder. Look it up... he has every sign. I feel sorry for ANYONE who has an illness like this. Not defending him in the least... but I am sympathetic to his issues.

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
He's been given every opportunity in the world to succeed and has figured out a way to screw it up every step along the way. Some people just can't be helped and belong in a cage with the rest of the animals.

True, some can't be helped. Now, possibly, when he has to face it and quit running from it, he can get some treatment to control those impulses. Then we can make an accurate assessment on if he can be helped or not.

mexican_texan
08-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Maurice Clarett chose to become like OJ Simpson...except for the football thing.

the wonger need food
08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
True, some can't be helped. Now, possibly, when he has to face it and quit running from it, he can get some treatment to control those impulses. Then we can make an accurate assessment on if he can be helped or not.

In the meantime, he needs to spend about 10 years in prison for acting like an idiot. If he's "rehabilitated" when he gets out maybe the Copperheads will sign him.

KKHouston
08-10-2006, 07:48 PM
In the meantime, he needs to spend about 10 years in prison for acting like an idiot. If he's "rehabilitated" when he gets out maybe the Copperheads will sign him.

Where do you get rehabilitation from, Wonger? No one has said anything about a second chance ( or third, fourth, whatever). It's about getting help for an issue that is clear (at least to me). I said he needs help as in Medical help. I've repeatedly said I could care less about his football talent going to waste, or throwing away a potential career. I don't care to see anyone who has obvious mental disease go through times like these. It has nothing to do with liking him or not.

tulexan
08-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Where do you get rehabilitation from, Wonger? No one has said anything about a second chance ( or third, fourth, whatever). It's about getting help for an issue that is clear (at least to me). I said he needs help as in Medical help. I've repeatedly said I could care less about his football talent going to waste, or throwing away a potential career. I don't care to see anyone who has obvious mental disease go through times like these. It has nothing to do with liking him or not.

And he will get that medical help that he needs...In prison for the next 10 years.

I understand that some people have diseases that force them to do things against their will, but I don't believe that he is one of them. Does he have issues? Of course. He seems like he is an alcoholic (from stories read about Broncos TC) and I would put money on him being depressed as well. Does he need to be held accountable for his actions? Of course. This is not an isolated event. He was kicked off of OSU for falsifying a police report and then when he left claimed that the coaches and boosters gave him money, cars, and good grades (which they probably did, but it seemed like he was trying to take people down with him). Then he tries to enter the draft and sues the NFL when they point out that he is too young to enter. Rather than sit out a year and transfer to a different school (which he could have done), he decided to move to LA and live with some rap producers/managers. Rather than get in the best shape of his life since he was going to be away from the game for two years, he would sit around and gain weight. Once he did somehow get drafted in the third round, he didn't take advantage of the situation and try to prove everyone wrong that he was a great player. Instead he acted like he was the franchise player on the team, drank vodka before, during, and after practice in a water bottle, and signed a contract that made Master P look like Leigh Steinberg. After he was cut what does he do? Not go the CFL or AFL, but robs two people at gun point behind a bar in Columbus. After that what does he do? Become contrite and change his ways? No, is so difficult to the point that his lawyers want off the case. And after that we all know what happened.

the wonger need food
08-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Here's a good article about Clarett... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2545078

The author is assuming that some people were after him and his family and that's why he had the weapons.

Get your Goose on Maurice.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
And he will get that medical help that he needs...In prison for the next 10 years.[/QUOTE}

And that is good. If it helps, then that's all that matters.

[QUOTE=tulexan]I understand that some people have diseases that force them to do things against their will, but I don't believe that he is one of them.

Thanks for the background... I'm well aware of it, but again, thanks for taking the time.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it sounds as if you don't understand the nuances of Antisocial Personality Disorder. Here's a brief description of the disorder, if you're interested. If not, that's good, too. This was taken from the Mayo Clinic:

The terms "sociopath" and "psychopath" are sometimes used to describe an individual with anti-social personality disorder. People with anti-social personality disorder show a chronic lack of concern for the rules and expectations of society, and repeatedly violate the rights of others.

The exact cause of anti-social personality disorder isn't known. However, genetic and environmental factors may play a role. Anti-social personality disorder occurs more often in men than in women.

Signs and symptoms typically appear in childhood and may include bedwetting, cruelty to animals and pyromania. Teens and adults with anti-social personality disorder may:

Repeatedly break the law
Display reckless or impulsive behavior
Exhibit persistent irritability and aggressive behavior
Repeatedly lie to and manipulate others
Be unable to sustain long-term relationships
Show consistent irresponsibility, such as failing to pay bills or hold a steady job
Abuse alcohol or drugs
Show little or no remorse for their actions
Anti-social personality disorder is difficult to treat. Group counseling may help some people. Treatment of coexisting conditions, such as anxiety, depression and substance abuse, is also important and may improve some symptoms of anti-social personality disorder.

Yankee_In_TX
08-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Interesting note, antisocial personality disorders are NOT mental illness in the eyes of the law.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Interesting note, antisocial personality disorders are NOT mental illness in the eyes of the law.

Very correct. He will do time as long as the Jury finds him guilty. But again, I'mn certainly not defending his actions. But to blow up like he has, with opportunities he's had, suggests the APD, which can explain why someone with the world in his/her hands would do the things they do to lose it.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
But, it's not rude to drink and drive while wearing a bullet proof vest, with 4 loaded weapons is it?

crass Pronunciation (krs)
adj. crass·er, crass·est
So crude and unrefined as to be lacking in discrimination and sensibility.

I think I am very discriminating. I discriminated against your crapola.

Sounds like you have an exaggerated sense of self-worth, there... Maybe you should see a Doctor for that. And you nailed the definition of crass. Impressive!

jerek
08-11-2006, 10:47 AM
This may not be the time or the place for this rant and I certainly don't mean what I'm about to say in a blanket sense, but IMO most "social disorders" diagnoses are a crock. I was diagnosed with ADHD growing up and all I really needed to fix it was a swift kick in the ass. The Ritalin and Adderall didn't help for squat; it was all about lack of personal motivation and parenting technique. Once motivation was gained and technique adjusted, the "disorder" more or less disappeared.

Certainly I was a more mild case and I realize that chemical imbalances can and do exist (though sometimes due to inadvertant fault of the subject, i.e. bad diet or environmental, other times of no personal fault of the subject) but nine times out of ten I read about or see someone with a "social disorder" it's painfully obvious to me that they're dealing with plain old bad parenting/environmental influences or a deeper psychological issue that isn't being addressed through the almost purely symptomatic treatment.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that there are many ways to treat many medical diagnoses, but I hate assignment of a 'disorder' for purposes of absolvment of blame (most often personal), which, too many times, IMO, is what the various psychological 'disorders' boil down to. Clarett did this, Clarett did that, he had a chemical imbalance, the voices in his head told him to, he had a "disorder" that prevented him from acting properly ... again, I'm not blanketly discounting the validity of all such conditions, but as a person who had one, I just come from the viewpoint that more often than not, it's all a load of crap.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
This may not be the time or the place for this rant and I certainly don't mean what I'm about to say in a blanket sense, but IMO most "social disorders" diagnoses are a crock. I was diagnosed with ADHD growing up and all I really needed to fix it was a swift kick in the ass. The Ritalin and Adderall didn't help for squat; it was all about lack of personal motivation and parenting technique. Once motivation was gained and technique adjusted, the "disorder" more or less disappeared.

Certainly I was a more mild case and I realize that chemical imbalances can and do exist (though sometimes due to inadvertant fault of the subject, i.e. bad diet or environmental, other times of no personal fault of the subject) but nine times out of ten I read about or see someone with a "social disorder" it's painfully obvious to me that they're dealing with plain old bad parenting/environmental influences or a deeper psychological issue that isn't being addressed through the almost purely symptomatic treatment.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that there are many ways to treat many medical diagnoses, but I hate assignment of a 'disorder' for purposes of absolvment of blame (most often personal), which, too many times, IMO, is what the various psychological 'disorders' boil down to. Clarett did this, Clarett did that, he had a chemical imbalance, the voices in his head told him to, he had a "disorder" that prevented him from acting properly ... again, I'm not blanketly discounting the validity of all such conditions, but as a person who had one, I just come from the viewpoint that more often than not, it's all a load of crap.

Well said!

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Very correct. He will do time as long as the Jury finds him guilty. But again, I'mn certainly not defending his actions. But to blow up like he has, with opportunities he's had, suggests the APD, which can explain why someone with the world in his/her hands would do the things they do to lose it.

Did you ever think that it just might...just might be plain stupidity?:brickwall

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Did you ever think that it just might...just might be plain stupidity?:brickwall

It's possible...:)

jerek
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Well said!

What cheerleader? That would be cool.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
What cheerleader? That would be cool.

I was thinking that myself. What's the cheerleaders name that lives next door to you.? I think I'd have to install bars on my boys window so he wouldn't try to sneak a peek.:rolleyes:

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I was thinking that myself. What's the cheerleaders name that lives next door to you.? I think I'd have to install bars on my boys window so he wouldn't try to sneak a peek.:rolleyes:

Tiffany. Really intelligent, gorgeous lady, without a bit of conceit in her. My daughter loves her!

jerek
08-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Tiffany. Really intelligent, gorgeous lady, without a bit of conceit in her. My daughter loves her!

Tell her you have an anonymous message board friend you'd like to introduce her to. Lemme know the time and the place. :)

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Tell her you have an anonymous message board friend you'd like to introduce her to. Lemme know the time and the place. :)

Hahahaha! Not until I go out with her, first! Seriously, I believe she's taken.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Hahahaha! Not until I go out with her, first! Seriously, I believe she's taken.

Does she ever sunbathe in her backyard?:drool:

Chance_C
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
He's ill. He has all the signs of antisocial personality disorder. Look it up... he has every sign. I feel sorry for ANYONE who has an illness like this.

He needs a prescription then....

edited to add that Bubba at the correctional facility, has one waiting for him.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Does she ever sunbathe in her backyard?:drool:

Does she? You should see the noseprints in my garage window! I'm working on a treehouse this winter for next summer.

:yahoo:

Yankee_In_TX
08-11-2006, 12:10 PM

She's Lil_Red's 'big sis' type person on the squad. I've never met her myself (shame on Lil_Red), but she is an asset to the squad!

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
He needs a prescription then....

edited to add that Bubba at the correctional facility, has one waiting for him.

What does everyone think the chances are that he will serve time? I'm curious.

Yankee_In_TX
08-11-2006, 12:11 PM

VERY good. He will be having TWO shots at getting time now. And only a jury living in a cave on the first trial won't know about the second arrest.

I LOVE that his lawyer said "He wasn't out to harm anyone."

Sure, he was going hunting. LMAO.

*jerek, I couldn't agree with you more, I posted some where in here about how Americans have stopped taking responsibility for their actions and are always blaming someone/thing.*

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Truthfully, I care about the cheerleader next door to you more than I care about Clarrett.:redtowel:

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
She's Lil_Red's 'big sis' type person on the squad. I've never met her myself (shame on Lil_Red), but she is an asset to the squad!

And an asset to my neighborhood. Who's Lil_Red?

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Truthfully, I care about the cheerleader next door to you more than I care about Clarrett.:redtowel:

Funny thing is, so do I!:spy:

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Funny thing is, so do I!:spy:

HaHa, That's hilarious!

Can someone post a picture of the "Tiffany next door"?

WWJD
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
It's very sad that a young man with so much talent has wasted it. Hope he gets his life in order.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Does she? You should see the noseprints in my garage window! I'm working on a treehouse this winter for next summer.

:yahoo:

Dang! Lucky.. lucky man! I've got a sweet pair of binoculars.:whip:

mexican_texan
08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
VERY good. He will be having TWO shots at getting time now. And only a jury living in a cave on the first trial won't know about the second arrest.

I LOVE that his lawyer said "He wasn't out to harm anyone."

Sure, he was going hunting. LMAO.

*jerek, I couldn't agree with you more, I posted some where in here about how Americans have stopped taking responsibility for their actions and are always blaming someone/thing.*
It's nothing new and it's not American. Humans tend to try to find a scapegoat before a solution. Why else would the Germans go along with the Holocaust? Someone saying that your problems are someone else's fault is easier than admitting you have problems.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 02:03 PM
It's nothing new and it's not American. Humans tend to try to find a scapegoat before a solution. Why else would the Germans go along with the Holocaust? Someone saying that your problems are someone else's fault is easier than admitting you have problems.

It's easy in America. Make people hate the victim... and you're free.

I'd rather go back to the Cheerleader talk.

mexican_texan
08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
It's easy in America. Make people hate the victim... and you're free.

I'd rather go back to the Cheerleader talk.
We're still waiting on a pic...:tease:

cuppacoffee
08-11-2006, 02:46 PM

You are kidding....right?

Ever hear of the SS.

I do believe that todays parents are too quick to abdicate their responsibility to raising their children. Some, not all, are too quick to let that fall on the kids teachers and peers.

JMO though.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Is this our "Tiffany from next door"? Good lord man! When are you going to have a backyard party? I'll bring my binoculars.

http://www.houstontexans.com/cheerleader/bio.php?PRKey=36

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Is this our "Tiffany from next door"? Good lord man! When are you going to have a backyard party? I'll bring my binoculars.

http://www.houstontexans.com/cheerleader/bio.php?PRKey=36

LOL... Dunno how she'd feel about all of us staring her down in her backyard.

Clarett has been ordered to receive a Mental Evaulation:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5865506

texan279
08-12-2006, 12:01 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5865506

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Maurice Clarett was ordered Friday to have a mental health evaluation after a highway chase and violent struggle with police who caught him with four loaded guns. The former Ohio State football star insisted he is competent to stand trial in another case.

Judge David Fais delayed the trial set to begin Monday on previous charges accusing the player of holding up two people outside a bar on New Year's Day.

The events surrounding Clarett's arrest early Wednesday made the evaluation by a doctor necessary, regardless of the objections by Clarett and his attorneys, Fais said.

"I clearly understand everything, and I don't know why we have to drag this thing out," said Clarett, who scoffed, smiled and rolled his head back when Fais ordered the evaluation.

Clarett, who wrote a few notes to his attorneys with his hands cuffed, said he was ready to go to trial.

Fais was concerned by Clarett's attorneys saying in published reports that they were worried about his mental health.

"It's my job," Fais said. "I have to ensure that your rights are protected."

Clarett's girlfriend, who gave birth to the couple's daughter last month, and his mother sat in the courtroom. They declined comment outside.

WildBlackBear32
08-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Oh man...this could be the first ACTUAL loophole an athlete will get off the hook LEGALLY with.

TexansLucky13
08-12-2006, 02:50 AM
LOL... Dunno how she'd feel about all of us staring her down in her backyard.

Just tell her that we are some family friends in town for an annual bird watchers meeting. We have to practice using our binoculars..... for up to five hours at a time! Oh, and make sure that the treehouse has a refrigerator and "No Girls Allowed" sign. Ahahaha.

phantom17
08-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Man, I really enjoy this thread- thugs & cheerleaders!:cool: Can't get any better than this!

KKHouston
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Just tell her that we are some family friends in town for an annual bird watchers meeting. We have to practice using our binoculars..... for up to five hours at a time! Oh, and make sure that the treehouse has a refrigerator and "No Girls Allowed" sign. Ahahaha.

Not a bad idea... lemme work on her, er, it...

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-12-2006, 10:15 AM
This guy is a joke, maybe him and Marcus Vick can hook up together, and make a new version of Cops "THE BAD BOYS OF FOOTBALL":sbad:

mexican_texan
08-12-2006, 11:14 AM
You are kidding....right?

Ever hear of the SS.

I do believe that todays parents are too quick to abdicate their responsibility to raising their children. Some, not all, are too quick to let that fall on the kids teachers and peers.

JMO though.
It was a study I read about, the Germans were going through tough times and a great speaker like Hitler(flawed, of course, but brilliant) gave the people a scapegoat. SS were hated by Jews, not by the German populus.

Anyway...pics?

mexican_texan
08-12-2006, 11:16 AM
I heard that Clarett only had those guns so he could go try out for the Bengals.

You know the world is messed up when the RAIDERS have less convicts than some team in Ohio.

KKHouston
08-12-2006, 11:50 AM
This guy is a joke, maybe him and Marcus Vick can hook up together, and make a new version of Cops "THE BAD BOYS OF FOOTBALL":sbad:

:redtowel:

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
INDICTED TODAY (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/college/4170445.html)

texan279
09-18-2006, 02:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_clarett_charges

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett agreed Monday to plead guilty to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon. The deal would send him to prison for at least 3 1/2 years and end two criminal cases against him.

The agreement was announced by Judge David Fais on the day jury selection was to begin in a case in which Clarett is accused of holding up two people outside a bar.

The concealed weapon charge was from his August arrest after a highway chase with police who found four loaded guns in Clarett's sport utility vehicle after they spiked the tires. Police used pepper spray to subdue and handcuff Clarett, who was wearing a bulletproof vest.

The deal called for a 7 1/2-year sentence with release possible after 3 1/2 years. The 22-year-old player also agreed to serve five years of probation after the prison sentence.

Clarett said he understood he was pleading guilty and reversing his earlier innocent plea.

"I'd like to apologize for my behavior, and I accept the time that was given to me," he said.

After the deal was announced, he looked over at his mother who was sobbing and holding his 8-week-old daughter while sitting next to his girlfriend.

Assistant Prosecutor Tim Mitchell said the plea deal is consistent with how his office handles similar cases.

"Anyone else would have gone to prison. He's not getting any special treatment," Mitchell said.

cuppacoffee
09-19-2006, 11:57 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_clarett_charges

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett agreed Monday to plead guilty to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon. The deal would send him to prison for at least 3 1/2 years and end two criminal cases against him.

The agreement was announced by Judge David Fais on the day jury selection was to begin in a case in which Clarett is accused of holding up two people outside a bar.

The concealed weapon charge was from his August arrest after a highway chase with police who found four loaded guns in Clarett's sport utility vehicle after they spiked the tires. Police used pepper spray to subdue and handcuff Clarett, who was wearing a bulletproof vest.

The deal called for a 7 1/2-year sentence with release possible after 3 1/2 years. The 22-year-old player also agreed to serve five years of probation after the prison sentence.

Clarett said he understood he was pleading guilty and reversing his earlier innocent plea.

"I'd like to apologize for my behavior, and I accept the time that was given to me," he said.

After the deal was announced, he looked over at his mother who was sobbing and holding his 8-week-old daughter while sitting next to his girlfriend.

Assistant Prosecutor Tim Mitchell said the plea deal is consistent with how his office handles similar cases.

"Anyone else would have gone to prison. He's not getting any special treatment," Mitchell said.

This screwup will never make parole. He is a lifer in the making.

He will probably get "special treatment" in the pen. :eek:

Bubba :sumo: is waiting..:yikes:

He declined opportunity.

:coffee:

jerek
09-19-2006, 12:23 PM
On a positive note, look for Clarett's upcoming cameo in Gridiron Gang.

:francis:

Hervoyel
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
This entire story just depresses me. What a waste of opportunity. I think the last good decision this kid made was signing with Ohio State.