PDA

View Full Version : Wand story in the Chronicle

Runner
08-09-2006, 04:32 AM
There's another Wand story in the Chronicle. Highlights: still a battle for LT, Wand isn't a quitter, has been working hard and improving through camp but needs to improve technique and regain confidence.

It sounds like Wand is finally getting the coaching he needed but didn't get his first three years. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4104124.html

Oh - and the writer called him the invisible last year. That's my line!

3/11/2006 - http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=19532&highlight=invisible:
I've seen the black and white Invisible Man movie. I saw its more recent poorly done remake. I saw the invisible man character in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Heck, I've even studied The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison in American Literature class in college.

In none of these movies or books was the invisible man ever 6'7" and 320 lbs. Seth Wand has to be the biggest invisible man ever.

Is it impossible for a man who stands 6-7 and weighs 327 pounds to become invisible? Wand was by season's end.

ccdude730
08-09-2006, 05:35 AM
i am hoping that this saturday he shows up and plays big, it will be his first time against new/real competition in quite some time. i hope he does well and shows the coaching staff that he is the answer at LT...at least for this season

nunusguy
08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
"I do think at times, playing at a small school, you never play against the kind of talent you face here on a daily basis," Sherman said. "You develop some bad habits. You can step with the wrong foot on the run blocking and win. At that level, Seth was a dominant player.
I don't think the difference (between small and large schools) affects the skill-position players as much. In the offensive line, it's big. But he's developing and I hope he'll continue to."
I'm a native of northwestern Missouri, and have visited the campus of the school that Wand attened, which is in a small town named Maryville, Mo.
This is a very nice, quiet farming community in middle America that is a total backwater football program which is the complete opposite of big time university programs at Big 10, Big 12, SEC, schools.
Its well known that Wand didn't have a full time OL coach and faced maybe
a couple marginal type defensive players at best all the time he was at
Northwest Missouri State. So he goes from that experience and is drafted by the Texans in the Spring of 2003 and about 16 months later in 2004 is a starting LT in the NFL playing against the likes of Dwight Feeney. Pretty incredible journey for an Olineman with Wand's very modest credentials.
But no matter, this is Wand's fourth year now in the NFL and it is time for him
to fish or cut bait.

Runner
08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Pretty incredible journey for an Olineman with Wand's very modest credentials.

Not to mention the modest credentials of his coaching until now. If raw talent has gotten him this far, well coached talent might get him to the next level. That is why there is still hope for Wand.

infantrycak
08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
"It got to where they didn't bother to talk to me," he said of the departed staff. "I didn't exist. Last year, it was like I wasn't out here. I'd been phased out.

Regardless of whether Wand ever works out for the Texans his path here is an indictment of the old coaching staff. You have a guy everyone says has the athletic ability to play OT who needs technique improvement, i.e. coaching. Logical thing to do?--leave him on his own and ignore him. Pendry completely abdicated his responsibilities as a coach. Pendry should have been living out at the practice facility with Wand between 2004 and 2005 with Alfred Malone and Peek improving all three.

Runner
08-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Regardless of whether Wand ever works out for the Texans his path here is an indictment of the old coaching staff. You have a guy everyone says has the athletic ability to play OT who needs technique improvement, i.e. coaching. Logical thing to do?--leave him on his own and ignore him. Pendry completely abdicated his responsibilities as a coach. Pendry should have been living out at the practice facility with Wand between 2004 and 2005 with Alfred Malone and Peek improving all three.

How many indictments does that make now?

There are parallels to this throughout the team. Why hasn't Peek shown the drastic improvement we expected every year that we might be seeing now? Where would Armstrong be had he received better coaching? Why aren't any of our linebackers taking more advantage of their talent? This last goes double for the various tight ends that have passed through here. Carr should be better, and is improving now in part because the coaches have taken him back to basics - such as how to look at the field without locking in to a receiver. Why hadn't he been taught that before? Andre had a bad year last year regardless of injury; he should always be threatening to be a Pro Bowler. Maybe even Travis Johnson would be a gamer had he been given guidance.

Peek seems like he'll be successful this year; it may be too late for the likes of Armstrong and T.J. Players like Carr and Dre will recover from the stunting. Others could go either way - time will tell.

It is really disgusting to me when I step back and look back at the big picture of what incompetent coaching has done to these players. This little rant has purged some bile though.

thunderkyss
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
There's another Wand story in the Chronicle. Highlights: still a battle for LT, Wand isn't a quitter, has been working hard and improving through camp but needs to improve technique and regain confidence.

It sounds like Wand is finally getting the coaching he needed but didn't get his first three years. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

3/11/2006 - http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=19532&highlight=invisible:

This is a great thread Runner....... I tried to give you some rep points for starting it, but it says I've got to spread it around first........ so, I'll catch you on the next one.

jerek
08-09-2006, 10:29 AM

That's the key.

U4ikrob
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
a good article for sure and like many of you I hope Wand takes this opportunity by the horns and really plays his guts out and earns the starting spot.

This article is just the latest in players from the old team speaking out against the "Lack of coaching' by the last staff which has been my main complaint all along and esp since training camp 05 last season. I'm really excited to see what our team will look like now with "Real Coaching & Teaching' going on at all levels of the team as it should have been from the very start. I think folks will truly see alot better product on the field this year and a staff taht actuallys pays attention to details, teaches their players and adjusts the gameplan to the roster strength like most other "NFL TEAMS" in the league do. Now that we got rid of the 3 :stooges: staff and the "mickey mouse gameplan" We can finally have a REAL team play some Football for a change and hopefully start a winning tradition for this team!!

:gotexans1

jdog
08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
How many indictments does that make now?

There are parallels to this throughout the team. Why hasn't Peek shown the drastic improvement we expected every year that we might be seeing now? Where would Armstrong be had he received better coaching? Why aren't any of our linebackers taking more advantage of their talent? This last goes double for the various tight ends that have passed through here. Carr should be better, and is improving now in part because the coaches have taken him back to basics - such as how to look at the field without locking in to a receiver. Why hadn't he been taught that before? Andre had a bad year last year regardless of injury; he should always be threatening to be a Pro Bowler. Maybe even Travis Johnson would be a gamer had he been given guidance.

Peek seems like he'll be successful this year; it may be too late for the likes of Armstrong and T.J. Players like Carr and Dre will recover from the stunting. Others could go either way - time will tell.

It is really disgusting to me when I step back and look back at the big picture of what incompetent coaching has done to these players. This little rant has purged some bile though.

I am not trying to excuse what appears to be some bad coaching by the previous staff, but I think the reasoning behind having Capers here for an expansion team was good. He seems to have the best credentials for an expansion team, right. It is too bad the young players did not receive the best development in such a physically punishing sport (meaning long careers are hard to come by). On a positive note it will great to see what they play like after a year of good coaching.

thunderkyss
08-09-2006, 06:30 PM
I am not trying to excuse what appears to be some bad coaching by the previous staff, but I think the reasoning behind having Capers here for an expansion team was good. He seems to have the best credentials for an expansion team, right. It is too bad the young players did not receive the best development in such a physically punishing sport (meaning long careers are hard to come by). On a positive note it will great to see what they play like after a year of good coaching.

Hey Dom..... Now's not the time.... let's wait till the '07 offseason, then we can discuss this......... objectively, and intelligently.

Insideop
08-09-2006, 07:42 PM

Just speculation, but maybe Pendry was doing Wand and others a favor by not coaching them. I mean is it better to be coached by a bad coach (bad techniques) or not be coached at all? :hmmm: If Pendry had coached Wand there's no telling how screwed up his technique would have been. He may well have been unsalvagable. Just food for thought!

Zac
08-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I just don't buy that the old Texans regime wasn't coaching appropriately. When the Texans were progressing nicely the first 3 years and were on the brinks of an 8-8 record; everyone and their brother was talking playoffs. The only complaint that I heard was that the offense was too conservative.

The coaching staff lost the confidence of the players and that was the downfall. I doubt the coaching was the bigest problem. That just sound like excuses that translate to :chicken: doo doo.

Wand and Weary were jerked around because the coaching staff knew that time was running out; the handwritting was on the wall, protect Carr or you will be fired! Both OF linemen were so raw and needed just too much help. Why doesn't everyone here compliment the coaching staff on Chester Pitt?

I'm pulling for Wand and Weary. But, I don't buy the argument that they were not receiving proper coaching. They were too raw to begin with. The only thing is the old coaching staff lost their nerve and didn't continue the job that got them there.

Last year was an ill faded atempt by a coaching staff to rebound from a slow start and after hitting the panic button imploding!!! :bomb:

aj.
08-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I just don't buy that the old Texans regime wasn't coaching appropriately. :

Then why are Pendry, Fangio, Marshall, and T. Marciano (and probably others I can't recall of the top of my head) still unemployed? I have a feeling it's not because they are waiting for the best offer.

cuppacoffee
08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I just don't buy that the old Texans regime wasn't coaching appropriately. When the Texans were progressing nicely the first 3 years and were on the brinks of an 8-8 record; everyone and their brother was talking playoffs. The only complaint that I heard was that the offense was too conservative.

Yet they refused to change.

The coaching staff lost the confidence of the players and that was the downfall.

Ever wonder why the players had no confidence in the coaches?

I doubt the coaching was the bigest problem. That just sound like excuses that translate to doo doo.

Do you have a theory of what the biggest problem was?

Wand and Weary were jerked around because the coaching staff knew that time was running out; the handwritting was on the wall, protect Carr or you will be fired! Both OF linemen were so raw and needed just too much help.

Sure they were 'raw'. How much time does a coach need to teach a raw player? Three years enough?

Why doesn't everyone here compliment the coaching staff on Chester Pitt?

Coaches found a good player and consistantly moved him around. :lightbulb:..Is that good coaching?

I'm pulling for Wand and Weary. But, I don't buy the argument that they were not receiving proper coaching. They were too raw to begin with. The only thing is the old coaching staff lost their nerve and didn't continue the job that got them there.

"Lost their nerve" Now thats another sign of good coaching.

Last year was an ill faded atempt by a coaching staff to rebound from a slow start and after hitting the panic button imploding!!! :bomb:

"Hit the panic button". Brilliant strategy by a great coaching staff.

Guess we have different opinions.

:coffee:

Runner
08-10-2006, 08:46 AM
... If Pendry had coached Wand there's no telling how screwed up his technique would have been. He may well have been unsalvagable. Just food for thought!

I think the Pendry influence indirectly led to Wand's slow start in training camp. He was apparently taught a lot of new techniques (read: correct techniques) through the off-season and OTAs. It seems to me he was thinking too much the first few day of camp. He was thinking about how he should do things rather than just doing them. I think his improvement as camp went on was partially based on him getting comfortable and playing without thinking about every hand and foot placement. Once the techniques began to get ingrained he was able to play more naturally and quickly.

nunusguy
08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm very thankful we've got Sherman as our OLine coach, because I'm real
nervous about LT. We just have too many questions about Wand, and my
concern about him is even heightened with all of this talk from camp about
Spencer seriously challenging for the starting LT job. OK, that's good to an extent, but this is a rookie who only played 2 seasons in college on the OL after converting from the D side of the ball, and just one of those seasons was spent playing tackle. No matter how much potential Spence may have to be an NFL LT, its hard for me to imagine how he can be ready this early given the difficulty factor of the position (for reference, see Robert Gallery, #2 overall in the 2004 NFL Draft who is just now in his third NFL year being moved to the Raiders LT slot). I can't help but think that Spencer is getting
the consideration to the degree he is because of the reservation Sherman & others have about Wand ?
But Sherman has so much experience with this position, and as a former HC you know he's gotta have some real judgement ability,i.e, I don't think he'd leave of with a Victor Riley type situation at LT. In other words, there's always the "Chester option", and I think he would have the sense to go that route if he doesn't like the way things are going in preseason.
The preseason, starting with the Chiefs game Saturday, is really big for Wand
and our LT position as we're going to begin to see what we've got there
at this point in time. And I'm so glad we've got somebody like Sherman making
the decisions on who to have there when the season begins, along with the whole OL as opposed to the past decision-makers with the Texans.

painekiller
08-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I notice that no one is really catching the line Sherman said about the LT we currently have,"It's not like we have a lot of choices at left tackle right now," Sherman said. "But we have some guys we're working and, when the dust settles, we'll find out who's going to start the first ballgame. Seth's not the guy and Spence isn't the guy not yet anyway. But we're going to find out who that guy is."

That should scare us all. Yes he is saying they are improving, but he is also saying it is not NFL quality currently. I hope Carr :crutch: makes it one more season unhurt.

nunusguy
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I notice that no one is really catching the line Sherman said about the LT we currently have,"It's not like we have a lot of choices at left tackle right now," Sherman said. "But we have some guys we're working and, when the dust settles, we'll find out who's going to start the first ballgame. Seth's not the guy and Spence isn't the guy not yet anyway. But we're going to find out who that guy is."
That should scare us all. Yes he is saying they are improving, but he is also saying it is not NFL quality currently. I hope Carr :crutch: makes it one more season unhurt.
That's what I'm talking about. The name of the guy who starts the season for the Texans at LT against the Eagles might be found on todays DC under "LG".