PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak calls out Carr

NFLforher
08-09-2006, 12:45 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4101013.html

"David has to practice; you can't come out here and practice like that," Kubiak said. "Guys have to help, but he's the ringleader every day, every practice. I expect a lot out of him, and he knows that.

"I was hard on David today, because our offense goes as our quarterback goes. When he practices well, we practice well."

bayoudreamn
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM

"David has to practice; you can't come out here and practice like that," Kubiak said. "Guys have to help, but he's the ringleader every day, every practice. I expect a lot out of him, and he knows that.

"I was hard on David today, because our offense goes as our quarterback goes. When he practices well, we practice well."

Kubiak is like "Mr. Football Psychologist." Later in that same article he was talking about PBucs hamstring and he said they were going to take it easy on him, yada, yada, yada....then he says that he told him that Sanders was playing well.....kind of a you better get your stuff together comment

It's a head game. He's not pushing 'em....he's making them push themselves and they probably do it without realizing he played 'em

texan279
08-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I don't think it is as much calling him out as it is just holding him accountable for his actions.

Wolf
08-09-2006, 01:15 AM
just Kubiak being Kubiak http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-019.gif

Scooter
08-09-2006, 02:58 AM
we will win 4 games this season purely because of kubiak. i have no doubt that the talent level will get us atleast another 4+.

houston, we have a coach!

beerlover
08-09-2006, 03:45 AM
flash back to last pre-season & remember how poorly the Texans performed :backsout: well the debate rage'ed about the importance or lack there of pre-season football, come to find out that is exactly how the Texans played during the regular season :brickwall

finally someone gets it and a more professional smell is in the air......success :trophy:

Mr. White
08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Kind of reminds me of a Parcells mind game. And I don't think that's bad. Carr's the guy in Houston and he earns accordingly. In Texas, we call it lighting a fire under ...you know.

I'm glad that we at have a coach who at least has a pulse nowadays.

Texans_Chick
08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Kind of reminds me of a Parcells mind game. And I don't think that's bad. Carr's the guy in Houston and he earns accordingly. In Texas, we call it lighting a fire under ...you know.

I don't think it is game playing.

Basically, he said that Carr had a poor morning practice. Later that day, he liked the second practice more. He's not going out of his way to say these things--it is in response to questions after practice.

He is saying what the truth is.

It ain't a Parcells kinda thing--I can't imagine Kubiak referring to a player he didn't want to draft as "she."

You want a competition so fierce in camp that actual competition seems like a relief.

Hulk75
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM

Heres what he said at the next practice that day. I am sure you just forgot to post them.:brickwall
"He's taking the coaching well," Kubiak said about Carr. "We didn't make the same mistakes in the afternoon practice. That's what this game's about. He takes to coaching. He listens, and that's all we can ask."

Tale Gator
08-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I can't believe it has taken 4 years for Carr to be yelled at for bonehead moves and not giving a 110% (etc.) at practice.

Way to go Kubiak -- wake him up, this is the NFL...

TEXANRED
08-09-2006, 11:15 AM

I kinda agree with this. Kubiak does remind me of a Parcells lite.

Parcells busts you down and breaks you. Kubiak seems like he is doing something similar but throws in positive comments.

I am excited about the change. Anything is better than last year.

What time is the game this weekend?

jerek
08-09-2006, 11:38 AM
McClain wrote an article about Texans football and only Texans football, and didn't mention Vince Young.

Well done, John.

hollywood_texan
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
On September 10, 2006, we shall see what all the coaching has done for Carr.

This will probably be his biggest game thus far as a pro.

I think his play that game will be a good predictor of his play for the first half of the season, good or bad.

KKHouston
08-09-2006, 12:23 PM

I think his play that game will be a good predictor of his play for the first half of the season, good or bad.

I agree. It's time to see what he has, and it sounds like Kubiak is giving him all he needs to start playing.

TexanBearkat
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM
McClain wrote an article about Texans football and only Texans football, and didn't mention Vince Young.

Well done, John.

I'm shocked that McClain is able to write an article on anything without mentioning Young. I would imagine when he discusses the Astros he states what they need is a Vince Young in there to give their offense a bit of a lift.

HoustonFrog
08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Kubiak seems to have a little Jimmy Johnson in him.

Overall though, he has to tell them like it is. He is new but the team is not and it is time that they start playing like vets and come to play. As a coach you have to set standards knowing that your job is more likely to be in jeaopardy than the players with their contracts.

mexican_texan
08-09-2006, 01:11 PM

Basically, he said that Carr had a poor morning practice. Later that day, he liked the second practice more. He's not going out of his way to say these things--it is in response to questions after practice.

It ain't a Parcells kinda thing--I can't imagine Kubiak referring to a player he didn't want to draft as "she."

You want a competition so fierce in camp that actual competition seems like a relief.

So Travis Johnson won't be a waterboy named "Chubby Checkers"?

Wharton
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm just happy to get something more the "we need to execute better".

:whip:

aj.
08-09-2006, 01:20 PM

The Broncos with a new QB in Jake Plummer started off 4-1 in 2003. Then Plummer was injured and missed the next four weeks and the Broncos went 1-3. Plummer returned for Weeks 11-16 and the Broncos went 5-1.

Jake's first game was a disaster stat-wise - 0 TD's, 3 Int's and only 115 yds passing and a rating of 21.7 - but the Broncos still won against a terrible Cincy team. After that game, his TD/Int ratio was 15/4.

edit: I amend my "terrible Cincy team" comment since that was Marv's first game as a head coach and they went 8-8 that year. I was thinking of the previous year when they were 2-14 under LeBeau.

Double Barrel
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
I kinda agree with this. Kubiak does remind me of a Parcells lite.

"Lite" being the key word here. The Tuna has a good 100 pounds on Coach Kubiak. ;)

I agree with texan279's statement - "I don't think it is as much calling him out as it is just holding him accountable for his actions."

Kubiak is a no-B.S. item, and he's not going to sugarcoat his thoughts to avoid hurting someone's feelings. He's got a franchise to build, and it can't be done if emotions are involved. His HC career depends on a functioning QB who is consistent in practice, which leads to consistency in play.

jdog
08-09-2006, 01:32 PM

I agree, but I also think he is using the media to talk to the players.

hollywood_texan
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM

The Broncos with a new QB in Jake Plummer started off 4-1 in 2003. Then Plummer was injured and missed the next four weeks and the Broncos went 1-3. Plummer returned for Weeks 11-16 and the Broncos went 5-1.

Jake's first game was a disaster stat-wise - 0 TD's, 3 Int's and only 115 yds passing and a rating of 21.7 - but the Broncos still won against a terrible Cincy team. After that game, his TD/Int ratio was 15/4.

Good point, but I was really making a statement about their schedule and it really doesn't work in their favor with all the changes.

The first six games are really tough (Eagles, Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Jaguars).

Now, if they started off the season first with their 7-13 games (Titans, Giants, Jaguars, Bills, Jets, Raiders, and Titans), I wouldn't be making the statement.

It's really more about a tough schedule to start and that they have to start off strong with the Eagles. The Colts and Redskins are going to be really tough. Drop the first one to the Eagles, and they are basically starting 0-3 with three tough games to follow the Redskins game.

aj.
08-09-2006, 01:48 PM
You can't really judge how well all that coaching has taken hold by one game - especially the first game. Check back with me around Week 12 or so.

hollywood_texan
08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
You can't really judge how well 'all Carr's coaching' has done by one game - especially the first game. Check back with me around Week 12 or so.

Your kind of making my point.

Here is my call, if Carr plays poor to average against the Eagles, look for more or less the same the next five games. Which gets to your Week 12 point.

Carr plays good to great against the Eagles and they can post a W against the Eagles, look for above .500 by Week 12 pushing for a playoff spot.

The Eagles game is extremely important due to the opponents that follow the next 5 games.

Keep this in mind and let's see if I am right.

The Eagles game will be the predictor of the next 5 games that follow. Texans lose to the Eagles, they win only 1 game out of the first six.

This is subject to change after training camp is completed, but it is my call at this time.

tsip
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
As long as Carr's 'evaluating' doesn't start going into next year, I'll be happy--still, will Carr get 'older' sooner than he can succeed or fail? We've got to find out some time, right?

aj.
08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Your kind of making my point

I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing with you. I was just posting random stuff about Plummer and Carr. One specific thing I do disagree with though, is the relevance of Game 1 as a predictor of Carr's and the Texans' total '06 performance.

I don't think how the Texans play against Philly will give us high confidence in how they will play against Washington or Miami. Beating Philly and losing to Washington gives the same net result as losing to Philly and beating Washington.

Just when you start to think you have strength of schedule figured out and how your team (and another) will play from week to week, something will happen to make it all go up in smoke. That's why they play the games.

infantrycak
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing with you. I was just posting random stuff about Plummer and Carr. One specific thing I do disagree with is the relevance of Game 1 as a predictor of Carr's and the Texans' total '06 performance.

I don't think how the Texans play against Philly will give us high confidence in how they will play against Washington or Miami. Beating Philly and losing to Washington gives the same net result as Losing to Philly and beating Washington.

Just when you start to think you have strength of schedule figured out and how your team (and another) will play from week to week, something will happen to make it all go up in smoke. That's why they play the games.

Example--Week 1 win vs. a highly favored Miami coming off a 9-7 season and heading into a 10-6 season followed by 1 win in the next 6 games.

Texan Asylum
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Example--Week 1 win vs. a highly favored Miami coming off a 9-7 season and heading into a 10-6 season followed by 1 win in the next 6 games.
Hummm:hmmm:...that sounds vaguely familiar to a nightmare I once had.

Runner
08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Personally, I thought that was pretty mild for a "calling out".

hollywood_texan
08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing with you. I was just posting random stuff about Plummer and Carr. One specific thing I do disagree with though, is the relevance of Game 1 as a predictor of Carr's and the Texans' total '06 performance.

I don't think how the Texans play against Philly will give us high confidence in how they will play against Washington or Miami. Beating Philly and losing to Washington gives the same net result as losing to Philly and beating Washington.

Totally hear what you are saying, and normally I wouldn't be putting such a significance on Week 1.

But, considering the first 4 years and the new changes, the first game seems very relevant if the Texans are going to push for .500 this year due to their schedule, particularly the first six games. Completely understand the strength of scheduling point and how teams dip or rise from year to year. IMO, that issue will not be in play here. The Texans have six tough opponents to start with the Colts and Redskins in Weeks 2 and 3.

It is as close to a must win they have had their entire existence. Just my call and see if I am right.

Carr has an amazing game against the Eagles, look for an amazing season from Carr. The same goes for the bad side, at least for the first half of the season.

NFLforher
08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Kubiak is like "Mr. Football Psychologist." Later in that same article he was talking about PBucs hamstring and he said they were going to take it easy on him, yada, yada, yada....then he says that he told him that Sanders was playing well.....kind of a you better get your stuff together comment

It's a head game. He's not pushing 'em....he's making them push themselves and they probably do it without realizing he played 'em

That's what I think.

NFLforher
08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Heres what he said at the next practice that day. I am sure you just forgot to post them.:brickwall

No I didn't forget. I've been a long time Carr supporter..I live near Fresno. :)

(Go Dogs!)

I think David and the Texans are moving forward now, not backwards.

Good coaching. What a relief.

Hill doesn't kiss anyone's butt either.

Hulk75
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
No I didn't forget. I've been a long time Carr supporter..I live near Fresno. :)

(Go Dogs!)

I think David and the Texans are moving forward now, not backwards.

Good coaching. What a relief.

Hill doesn't kiss anyone's butt either.
My bad...............Love the way the Dogs play ball, big fan.

thunderkyss
08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Your kind of making my point.

Here is my call, if Carr plays poor to average against the Eagles, look for more or less the same the next five games. Which gets to your Week 12 point.

Carr plays good to great against the Eagles and they can post a W against the Eagles, look for above .500 by Week 12 pushing for a playoff spot.

The Eagles game is extremely important due to the opponents that follow the next 5 games.

Keep this in mind and let's see if I am right.

The Eagles game will be the predictor of the next 5 games that follow. Texans lose to the Eagles, they win only 1 game out of the first six.

This is subject to change after training camp is completed, but it is my call at this time.

Actualy, that game 2 will be more telling..... Can Kubiak get Carr to forget about week one, and improve any mistakes he may have made during that game(the other 51 guys as well)....

If we lose Week 1 to the eagles(which I don't see), and bounce back and kick the Colts butt, I may have to change my prediction from 13-3 to 14-2.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Well done, John.

Isn't that one of the signs of Armaggedon or something?

HOU-TEX
08-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Vince Young of Baseball = Luke Scott :astros:

:francis: :francis:

More like Vince Young = Preston Wilson = Bench!:stirpot:

Texas
08-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Thats it! Push david. If you sugarcoat everything to him he wont go anywhere but give it to him straight and he can excel

NFLforher
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Isn't that one of the signs of Armaggedon or something?

Yes. We're in the end times.

Sportsfan
08-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I can't believe it has taken 4 years for Carr to be yelled at for bonehead moves and not giving a 110% (etc.) at practice.

Way to go Kubiak -- wake him up, this is the NFL...

Same thing i was thinking when i read it.

NFLforher
08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
My bad...............Love the way the Dogs play ball, big fan.

I love going to the Dogs games too.

I think David will do well with the coaching he's receiving. Sounds like he appreciates it too. He's getting help and accurate feedback. IMO, his talent will blossom.

I'm just hoping he won't end up on his butt in the grass.

How many of us could do our jobs if we were repeatedly knocked down over and over?

NFLforher
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Thats it! Push david. If you sugarcoat everything to him he wont go anywhere but give it to him straight and he can excel

Exactly.

Hulk75
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
So I dont start another Carr thread did you hear what Troy Aikman said about Carr on tonights FOX game, Troy said that he is one of his top 3 guys to have break out years............

Carr, Sims and Ronnie Brown.

Thought us as Texans fans would like to here good things about our QB from a Hall of Fame QB.:shades:

Really I just thought I would let you guys know, I thought it was good.

edo783
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
So I dont start another Carr thread did you hear what Troy Aikman said about Carr on tonights FOX game, Troy said that he is one of his top 3 guys to have break out years............

Carr, Sims and Ronnie Brown.

Thought us as Texans fans would like to here good things about our QB from a Hall of Fame QB.:shades:

Really I just thought I would let you guys know, I thought it was good.

Yes, I heard that. Kind of surprised me, as he earlier seemed down on us for not taking RB.

TheCD
08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...People don't give Kubiak the credit he deserves for the work he's accomplished with QB's he coached simply because Young and Elway are Hall of Famer's.

In his only year in San Fransisco, he coached Young to all of the following:

112.8 Passer Rating, increase of 6 TD's and decrease of 6 INT's from the previous year, MVP award, a Super Bowl Championship in his only start in a Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl Record 6 TD passes as well as being tied for 2nd for most pass attempts without an INT in a Super Bowl.

Whether directly or not, these are all things that are the effects of Kubiak's influence. The point of the matter being that Kubiak should have a tremendous impact on Carr. Whether Carr has a hall-of-fame talent or not will not matter, because Kubiak can work an entire offense, not just one part. I have a feeling Carr will set personal records this year.

TexansLucky13
08-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...People don't give Kubiak the credit he deserves for the work he's accomplished with QB's he coached simply because Young and Elway are Hall of Famer's.

In his only year in San Fransisco, he coached Young to all of the following:

112.8 Passer Rating, increase of 6 TD's and decrease of 6 INT's from the previous year, MVP award, a Super Bowl Championship in his only start in a Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl Record 6 TD passes as well as being tied for 2nd for most pass attempts without an INT in a Super Bowl.

Whether directly Kubiak's influence or not, these are all things that are the effects of Kubiak's influence. The point of the matter being that Kubiak should have a tremendous impact on Carr. Whether Carr has a hall-of-fame talent or not will not matter, because Kubiak can work an entire offense, not just one part. I have a feeling Carr will set personal records this year.

I completely agree. IMO, Steve would have pretty much done that on his own, but one way or another Kubiak has better knowledge to share with Carr because of his experience with All-Pro QBs.