PDA

View Full Version : In the mood:Stirpot thread

Wolf
08-07-2006, 10:35 PM
:stirpot:

would yall be happy if DD got 1400 yards and 9 tds(4.4 average) and Carr completed 60%of his passes passed 3000 yards and had 20 TD's and 19 INTS?

would that make you happy for the season and this would be a successful season?

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2006, 10:37 PM

would yall be happy if DD got 1400 yards and 9 (4.4 average) and Carr completed 60%of his passes passed 3000 yards and had 20 TD's and 19 INTS?

In a heartbeat, for next season.

AFD1717
08-07-2006, 10:39 PM

would yall be happy if DD got 1400 yards and 9 (4.4 average) and Carr completed 60%of his passes passed 3000 yards and had 20 TD's and 19 INTS?

What was our record during this season? Scoreboard baby. That's the only numbers I care about.

Wolf
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
well Carr had 3500 yards for 16 td's and 14 ints and a completion rate of 60.5% in 2004

Wolf
08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
What was our record during this season? Scoreboard baby. That's the only numbers I care about.

ok so Carr plays defense also

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
well Carr had 3500 yards for 16 td's and 14 ints and a completion rate of 60.5% in 2004

But you said 20 TD's.

infantrycak
08-07-2006, 10:46 PM

would yall be happy if DD got 1400 yards and 9 tds(4.4 average)

Yes

and Carr completed 60%of his passes passed 3000 yards and had 20 TD's and 19 INTS?

No

I don't know--how did the other 51 players play?

TexanBacker93
08-07-2006, 10:46 PM

would yall be happy if DD got 1400 yards and 9 tds(4.4 average) and Carr completed 60%of his passes passed 3000 yards and had 20 TD's and 19 INTS?

It depends on how the team does. I don't mind seeing low personal statistics if the team wins games. I don't want high stats and a bunch of losses either. If the Texans win 16 games I'll be happy. Ok, I'll be happy if they win 8, but the same goes for doubling that.

I don't know if I'd be happy with Carr throwing 19 INTs, though. He's kept his INTs low so far. I'd be more impressed with 20 TDs and 11 INTs. I think he should be able to get 3500 yards again too. Remember he had a 3500yd, 16/14 year 2 seasons ago. He should be able to improve upon those numbers not the ones he threw out last season. He's been over 60% completion percent the last 2 years; he should be looking to get that into the 64% range.

Wolf
08-07-2006, 10:48 PM
KT: very true, I am hoping moulds (over bradford) gets us 4 more tds

however I am not thrilled about 8 more int's

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
very true, I am hoping moulds (over bradford) gets us 4 more tds

however I am not thrilled about 8 more int's

60% completion with 19 int's would suggest that it would not all be on the QB, except if your last name is Favre. Moreover, 3k out of DC is an accomplishment per his measureables as a Texan to date.

Wolf
08-07-2006, 10:56 PM
60% completion with 19 int's would suggest that it would not all be on the QB, except if your last name is Favre. Moreover, 3k out of DC is an accomplishment per his measureables as a Texan to date.
even as his stats in 2004?

2004 ...3531..61.2% 16 tds and 14 ints...granted I don't like the 7+ yards a completion

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2006, 10:59 PM

2004 ...3531..61.2% 16 tds and 14 ints...granted I don't like the 7+ yards a completion

I will take it, anything that approaches his career highs will benefit our overall success.

CajunTexan
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM

I believe Carr's INT total will go up this year simply because we will take more shots downfield.

If he has 19 INT's, I would need to see 25-35 TD's.

TexansLucky13
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
This Carr thread has been alive for 25 minutes and SWTBound hasn't responded to it? AMAZING. Let's chalk this up as a MB record, how bout it?

Stats from Carr that will make me smile:

>20 TD
<15 INT
3500+ Yards

Anything greater than that just reiterates my position when it comes to Carr. And by now I know that every single one of you knows my feelings when it comes to our QB.

Carr haters wanna go at it tonight? I'm game! :boxing:

Wolf
08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
boxing one cracks me up

JAXwithanX
08-07-2006, 11:13 PM
anyone who would be truly happy with only one more touchdown than interception and worse, 19 in total, is crazy. especially if he was a big enough part of the O to throw for over 3000 yards.

DD better be rushing for 15 touchdowns as well. with 2 fumbles (not likely).

TwinSisters
08-07-2006, 11:14 PM

Don't care what Davis gets.

Beat the Colts.
For crying out loud to the gods of football, don't get beat by both Mannings.
Don't lose to Capers.
Beat a Cowboy team with a winning record.

be down 24-3 at the half against the Patriots and Brady. And then watch a ride to victory on the arm of a QB. Would even be okay if Carr was able to drive the ball within field goal range. Then Brown puts it away as the clock expires.

Throw 50 INTs... I could care less. Carr already has more INTs then TDs and it doesn't mean much. If you throw one, then throw it again and keep throwing it until you win.

5-11 and that season would have already passed every high watermark that we have set so far. That would be 4 to 5 teams dropped by the Texans that had a winning record.

swtbound07
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
I could care less if carr throws for 50 tds....All I want is 8-8. If he can do that, I'll lay off him....if he can't, then he needs to leave.

TexansLucky13
08-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Don't care what Davis gets.

Beat the Colts.
For crying out loud to the gods of football, don't get beat by both Mannings.
Don't lose to Capers.
Beat a Cowboy team with a winning record.

be down 24-3 at the half against the Patriots and Brady. And then watch a ride to victory on the arm of a QB. Would even be okay if Carr was able to drive the ball within field goal range. Then Brown puts it away as the clock expires.

Throw 50 INTs... I could care less. Carr already has more INTs then TDs and it doesn't mean much. If you throw one, then throw it again and keep throwing it until you win.

5-11 and that season would have already passed every high watermark that we have set so far. That would be 4 to 5 teams dropped by the Texans that had a winning record.

This post has a cynical yet seemingly positive meaning behind it. There is a good point that lies within that..... who cares what Carr does anyways? He isn't the only guy on that field. We need to win games, with or without a performing QB. You guys know that I believe he will soar next year.... but that doesn't mean I think we will lose without him.

Good post TwinSisters, for some odd reason it seemed to make me a little more objective about my outlook on this season.

:texflag:

Wolf
08-07-2006, 11:20 PM
:ok: makes sense.... Carr is responsible for 22+ other men to get their jobs done...

Wolf
08-07-2006, 11:22 PM
oh yeah esp..with a30+ ranking on defense.. :ok:

swtbound07
08-07-2006, 11:22 PM
:ok: makes sense.... Carr is responsible for 22+ other men to get their jobs done...

Carr does his job well, it makes the rest of the teams job easier.....unless you are blaming the other 22+ men on the field for every loss?

Wolf
08-07-2006, 11:25 PM
well if D-rob doesn't do his job and gives up a Td.. how many times did we see a penalty on the defense that sustained a drive that led to a penalty or a penalty that pushed our offense back...let me look those up.

thunderkyss
08-07-2006, 11:32 PM
3000 yards is not the kind of numbers I expect to see from a good WCO QB.... might I point out Aaron Brooks avgs about 3500 a year, or something like that.... and he isn't a good WCO QB. So I expect more than 3000 yards from David.

But if he looks good.....

command the team (and they have to respect his command on the field, not this lip service we've been getting in the locker room, through the media, or on the sideline).

I've always thought of David as a pocket passer........ I'm hearing I was wrong about that, and that he is actually better, when allowed to buy time.. or move out of the pocket(as a QB, not as a rusher)...... So if I see that in '06, and he does look like that's the style he ought to be playing... then I'd be happy with that.

Poise..... he's got to understand the blitz is coming..... 4 years, he should know by now. Can he avoid every sack?? no. but I don't want to see 1 sack that he caused on a weekly basis... every now & then, fine.

and I don't care if he throws more interceptions than TDs....... I mean I'd like for him too, but I'd much rather see a high interception count, than a high sack count....

DD........ I'm thinking 2000 total yards if he starts the season healthy..... 1400, if he misses half the season.

Hottoddie
08-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I'd be excited if the offense just gave up 40 less sacks.

HJam72
08-07-2006, 11:42 PM
So, are some of you people going to want Carr gone if he passes for 3500 yds. and has 20 tds. and 14 ints., but we go 5-12??? Our secondary may be weak and our starting RB is hurt, so I can see this as a possibility, but I'm expecting about 8-8.

swtbound07
08-07-2006, 11:51 PM
So, are some of you people going to want Carr gone if he passes for 3500 yds. and has 20 tds. and 14 ints., but we go 5-12??? Our secondary may be weak and our starting RB is hurt, so I can see this as a possibility, but I'm expecting about 8-8.

yes. if we can't be a .500 team with carr as qb i want him gone. as simple as that.

thunderkyss
08-07-2006, 11:52 PM
It depends on how he looks..... I still think 6 years is a long time, but if he looks like part of the problem for that 5-12 season..... then he's got to go.

Let me add, that I honestly expect 10 wins in '06....... of course, that is without seeing a Preseason game, or attennding training camp.

by September 10th, my expectations may very well drop to 5-12.... for whatever reason........six years is a long time, but if he is definitely showing progress, I'll wait 8 years..... what else are you gonna do??

I'll look at each player, and I'll give you my honest opinion of what I think we should do.

TexansLucky13
08-07-2006, 11:53 PM
yes. if we can't be a .500 team with carr as qb i want him gone. as simple as that.

Haha. Beautifully orchestrated, Mr. SWTBound. Bravo! :rolleyes:

Wolf
08-07-2006, 11:53 PM

still I wonder ...21 other guys on the team too.

so if everyone's goal is a super bowl win.. so that makes marino/moon/tarkington/pastorini oh and better yet Earl Campbell a failure (Earl WAS the offense) etc..etc.

swtbound07
08-07-2006, 11:56 PM

so if everyone's goal is a super bowl win.. so that makes marino/moon/tarkington/pastorini oh and better yet Earl Campbell a failure (Earl WAS the offense) etc..etc.

Marino never got it done. So if you follow logic, Marino was not the proper qb to get the dolphins to a super bowl. how do i know this? he never did. If your goal is gaudy stats, sure, Carr might get there one day. But he won't ever get a ring, and thats what I want out of this franchise.....if your happy with 5-11 seasons as long as your boy throws for 3500 20/10 then have at it....i wont accept that.

TexansLucky13
08-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Marino never got it done. So if you follow logic, Marino was not the proper qb to get the dolphins to a super bowl. how do i know this? he never did. If your goal is gaudy stats, sure, Carr might get there one day. But he won't ever get a ring, and thats what I want out of this franchise.....if your happy with 5-11 seasons as long as your boy throws for 3500 20/10 then have at it....i wont accept that.

Wrong buddy... he did. He went, and lost. Time to read up on a little Super Bowl history I think.

swtbound07
08-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Wrong buddy... he did. He went, and lost. Time to read up on a little Super Bowl history I think.

A little careless with my typing....I meant a ring and a trophy, and I think its pretty clear what I meant, but fine I'll restate.

Marino was not the correct quarterback to get the dolphins to WIN a superbowl. My overlying point still remains.

TexanFan881
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
A little careless with my typing....I meant a ring and a trophy, and I think its pretty clear what I meant, but fine I'll restate.

Marino was not the correct quarterback to get the dolphins to WIN a superbowl. My overlying point still remains.

Believe it or not Marino wasn't the whole team.

The Miami Dolphins as a whole were not the team to win a Super bowl

Like everyone keeps emphasizing it's not one player that makes or breaks a team. If a QB and his offense puts up 35 poinst and they lose, that is not the QBs fault. T

he Dolphins D allowed 38 points in the loss in the Super Bowl. It is hard for any QB to put up more than 38 points when the D is not performing.

HJam72
08-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Only way I could possibly blame Dan Marino for the Dolphins problems is if he was taking so much money they couldn't pay to have a good enough team around him. Hey, ain't that Manning's problem? :)

If Carr has a good year (stats wise) and seems to be improved, I really doubt I'm gonna want him out. It would take an obvious problem with his attitude or personality. I don't even agree that a QB necessarilly has to be a leader, but it does help. A good season by Carr and a losing record would mean that some other facet of the team really stunk--like the running game or more likely (I guess) the secondary. I'm not blaming Carr for bad pass coverage. Can't do it.

I do expect to see improvement though. Obvious improvement.

Wolf
08-08-2006, 12:10 AM

Like everyone keeps emphasizing it's not one player that makes or breaks a team. If a QB and his offense puts up 35 poinst and they lose, that is not the QBs fault. T

he Dolphins D allowed 38 points in the loss in the Super Bowl. It is hard for any QB to put up more than 38 points when the D is not performing.
yeah..ask Warren Moon about that

HJam72
08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
yeah..ask Warren Moon about that

I was thinking the same thing and I've never blamed the offense for that loss.

TexansLucky13
08-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Only way I could possibly blame Dan Marino for the Dolphins problems is if he was taking so much money they couldn't pay to have a good enough team around him. Hey, ain't that Manning's problem? :)

Props to you buddy, PROPS! I have been saying that since day 1. DAY 1! Guys like Marino and Manning are a curse! I love you David!

TwinSisters
08-08-2006, 01:46 AM

Not me. It's not about going 5-12. It's about beating teams that need to be beat. Beating a bunch of loser teams is not going to cut it for me.

5-12 beating somebodies, not 7-9 or 8-8 beating a bunch of nobodies.

8-8 is going to be success for the team ( unfortunately against my wishes ).

Kubiak could survive on just 2-14 beating the Colts and Cowboys.

Kubiak going 8-8 while losing to the Cowboys, Dolphins, and the Colts will be bitter sweet.

If we are going 8-8 winning just against the Coonville ************ and the overachieving Jaguars, the Browns, and the Jets. Then I want to see that Carr is not the problem. I want to see him sticking out above the rest, not wallowing in mediocrity and setting pitiful NFL records for losers.

ccdude730
08-08-2006, 02:25 AM
pretty good article on the HT website about practice talking about carr and the offense.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2725&section=N%20Latest%20News

TK_Gamer
08-08-2006, 03:43 AM
if I had to guess david carr's stats right now I would think 3800 yds 28 tds 15ints 26 sacks. the texans go 10 and 6 beating indy once but losing the wildcard game to the chiefs in a close game. I could live with that

michaelm
08-08-2006, 03:57 AM

You'll never get back the time it took you to type the first 36 characters of this statement (not including spaces).

D-Vizzl
08-08-2006, 06:12 AM
if I had to guess david carr's stats right now I would think 3800 yds 28 tds 15ints 26 sacks. the texans go 10 and 6 beating indy once but losing the wildcard game to the chiefs in a close game. I could live with that

You seem to have the only reasonable expectations round here, at least IMO. If your td\int numbers are anywhere near each other that is a sure sign that either a bunch of tipped balls occured, or the QB's decision making is horrible. David Carr is capable of dominating with his arm, if you go back to his glory days per say (senior year at fresno) check those stats and get back to me about this 20 td 18 int aspirations. I will go out on a limb and say if he executes the offense the way he is supposed to then he could end up 3800 yds. 30-33 td's 11-13 int's 63% completion rate and a QB rating of 88-91 (okay that one may be to much to ask). Anything significantly less than that would show little or no progression and it's time to move on.

bigbrewster2000
08-08-2006, 06:34 AM

It's funny how easily you get "careless" with your typing when you give shotty info. I also find it interesting that of all the posts of yours that I read, that while you claim to :stirpot: you rarely bring something new to the table:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:, at least on Carr threads. I think at this point most people are immune to your tactic.

thunderkyss
08-08-2006, 07:11 AM

........the Texans' success is directly tied to the success of David Carr.

:hunter:

thunderkyss
08-08-2006, 07:11 AM

:twocents:

HJam72
08-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

thunderkyssView Public Profile (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/member.php?u=4189)Send a private message to thunderkyss (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/private.php?do=newpm&u=4189)Send email to thunderkyss (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=4189)Find all posts by thunderkyss (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/search.php?do=finduser&u=4189)Add thunderkyss to Your Buddy List (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=buddy&u=4189)

#46 (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=400129&postcount=46)

1 Hour Ago

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/image.php?u=4189&dateline=1152618783 (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/member.php?u=4189)thunderkyss (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/member.php?u=4189) vbmenu_register("postmenu_400129", true);

Texans 2006 It's All Good

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanFan881

Quote:

Quote:

:twocents:

I don't get it. :twocents: :)

Kaiser Toro
08-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't get it. :twocents: :)

I don't get it.

HJam72
08-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Don't get what? :tease:

chuckm
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
The Texans received some sour news on Thursday when they learned that cornerback Chris McKenzie was lost for the season due to a fractured bone in his shoulder. McKenzie injured the shoulder when he bumped into receiver Kevin Walter during practice on Wednesday.

That was some hellacious bump ....

http://houstonprofootball.com/news.html

real
08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't get it.
I don't get it.:tease:

chuckm
08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't get it.:tease:

That's because Vince Young has "it" .....

TexanFanInCC
08-08-2006, 10:40 AM

domanick yes, carr no. 19 picks is too many. he could easily throw for 4000 if he set his mind to it.

eriadoc
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Four QBs threw for 3800+ yards last season. The two Super Bowl QBs were not among them. Two of those threw for 4000 or more. Only three QBs threw for 25+ TDs, only one of whom threw for 30+. Neither Super Bowl QB did that.

Just something to think about while setting expectations.

thunderkyss
08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
That's because Vince Young has "it" .....

chuckm gets it.

Four QBs threw for 3800+ yards last season. The two Super Bowl QBs were not among them. Two of those threw for 4000 or more. Only three QBs threw for 25+ TDs, only one of whom threw for 30+. Neither Super Bowl QB did that.

damn that's a good post............

chuckm
08-08-2006, 12:07 PM
chuckm gets it.

I'm not sure but I think my name was taken in vain .....

HJam72
08-08-2006, 12:10 PM

That's what I'm saying, people. We need a QB who can't do that well. :tease:

Lucky
08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
So I expect more than 3000 yards from David.
With the Broncos, Jake Plummer's numbers (prorated to a 16 game schedule) are:
3585 Passing Yards
22 TDs
13 INTs
60.1% completions

Considering the influx of talent at the receiver positions (and a big season from Andre), I think Carr should be able to attain these numbers in a Kubiak offense.

While 1400 yards @ 4.4 yards a pop sounds great for a healthy DD playing a 16 game schedule, I don't think Domanick can stay healthy if you have him carry the ball 20 times a game (plus receptions). I've hoped that the Texans would reduce Davis' load for 3 seasons. Capers & Palmer gave lip service to giving Hollings (and then Morency) some touches. But, that never happened once the whistle blew.

Kubiak will be different, I think. No Bronco RB (not even Portis) had 300+ rushing attempts in a season since Terrell Davis' MVP performance in '98. Look for guys like Smith, Morency, or maybe even one of the rookies to share the rock with DD. I remember in Green Bay, Mike Sherman would use his backup RBs in the middle of the field and save Ahman Green some carries. Maybe the Texans try this?

TwinSisters
08-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure but I think my name was taken in vain .....

Not really. Charlie Frye has "it".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9589837

The offense presents a lot more challenges to be ready for the 2006 season. Second-year quarterback Charlie Frye has been handed the starting job after Trent Dilfer was traded -- which was a high-risk decision -- but from the GM to the ball boys, everyone says Frye has "it." What is "it"?

chuckm
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Not really. Charlie Frye has "it".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9589837

Vince had "it" first ....... so there :francis:

Double Barrel
08-08-2006, 02:47 PM

If rings/trophies are the measure of a great QB, then Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Moon, Marino, and Kelly.

But rings/trophies are not necessarily the measure of individual players, they are the measure of teams.

michaelm
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
If rings/trophies are the measure of a great QB, then Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Moon, Marino, and Kelly.

But rings/trophies are not necessarily the measure of individual players, they are the measure of teams.

Well Done, DB.

on the subject of Carr's stats...

I predicted in an earlier post something like:

3200+ yds
23-25 tds
18-19 ints

I still think those are reasonable numbers... maybe even a tad conservative, but I'll stick with the ones I listed.
I would be happy with 23-25 tds this year, but I'd like to see 17> ints...

Wolf
08-08-2006, 10:03 PM

Ding!Ding!Ding!!! we have a winner Bob :lightbulb:

ccdude730
08-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Stats from Carr that will make me smile:

>20 TD
<15 INT
3500+ Yards
i would have to agree with this - i cant see carr throwing more than 15 INTs and 20+ TD sounds pretty good to me, the yards will be there but 3500 sounds good

tulexan
08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
I could care less if carr throws for 50 tds....All I want is 8-8. If he can do that, I'll lay off him....if he can't, then he needs to leave.

If Carr threw for 50 TDs and we weren't 8-8 then that would mean that Mario was a complete bust and we have the equivalent of a NFLE defense.