PDA

View Full Version : Peter King on Carr, Palmer

MightyTExan
08-07-2006, 08:36 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/06/mmqb/index.html

Very interesting......................

HOUSTON -- This is why Gary Kubiak is the best thing that ever happened to Carr:
Decision making
The other day, Carr threw a pass into a coverage scheme that he, and Kubiak, knew right away was the wrong pass at the wrong time. Terrible decision. And instead of soft-pedaling his criticism, which is the way Carr has been treated for four years as the Disappointing Golden Boy of Houston football, Kubiak offered this gem: "You've been in the league four years and you make that throw? There is no way you can make a throw into coverage like that!''

Staring down the receiver
You've got to love a coach who does not come in and kiss the franchise quarterback's hiney. Because smooching is not what Carr needs.

Last winter, when Kubiak sat down to study every game Carr played last year, he noticed something fatal to quarterbacking success: when Carr faded back to throw, he consistently looked to the side of the field that was his first option. Imagine how crucial this is. If you're a safety, and you've scouted Carr from the end-zone coaches' tape that every team sees, and you've seen that you can figure out the side of the field he's trying to throw to the second he begins his pass drop, wouldn't that be a huge advantage? When Kubiak first sat down with Carr to watch tape, he said, in so many words: Are you kidding me? You're an NFL quarterback, and you telegraph your throws so blatantly? So on this day, in this practice, Kubiak watched Carr take his drop and watched his eyes as much as his arm. He watched to make sure Carr was surveying the entire field on his drop, not just half of it.

chuckm
08-07-2006, 08:41 AM
good read ..... Thanks MT

TommyS
08-07-2006, 09:35 AM
palmer, pendry, capers and all the rest need to be seriously ashamed of themselves. what an awful job they did with the kid they invested so much in.

Thank *insert name of deity of choice here* for Gary.

Porky
08-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Many of us on this forum have been saying for years that Carr locks in on an area or specific receiver. Of course, as always the Carr lovers chastised us. I remember a particular incident last year with Charley Casserly on his Friday 610am morning show. Either a caller, or one of the hosts specifically asked Casserly about Carr's habit of locking onto a WR, and Cass said in so many words - that's overrated and media and fan driven. Every QB locks onto his primary target. Heck, Manning locks onto his target. I lauged so hard, I had stuff coming out my nose that is usually reserved for my stomach. What a bunch of BS I thought. Anyway, it's so refreshing to have Carr getting real coaching. This portends the beginning of the end for the Carr excuses. I don't expect him to be his best this year, but I expect that he make significant strides in some of these fundamental areas. If not, we need to go another direction in 2007.

southtexan
08-07-2006, 10:36 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/06/mmqb/index.html

Very interesting......................

HOUSTON -- This is why Gary Kubiak is the best thing that ever happened to Carr:
Decision making
The other day, Carr threw a pass into a coverage scheme that he, and Kubiak, knew right away was the wrong pass at the wrong time. Terrible decision. And instead of soft-pedaling his criticism, which is the way Carr has been treated for four years as the Disappointing Golden Boy of Houston football, Kubiak offered this gem: "You've been in the league four years and you make that throw? There is no way you can make a throw into coverage like that!''

Staring down the receiver
You've got to love a coach who does not come in and kiss the franchise quarterback's hiney. Because smooching is not what Carr needs.

Last winter, when Kubiak sat down to study every game Carr played last year, he noticed something fatal to quarterbacking success: when Carr faded back to throw, he consistently looked to the side of the field that was his first option. Imagine how crucial this is. If you're a safety, and you've scouted Carr from the end-zone coaches' tape that every team sees, and you've seen that you can figure out the side of the field he's trying to throw to the second he begins his pass drop, wouldn't that be a huge advantage? When Kubiak first sat down with Carr to watch tape, he said, in so many words: Are you kidding me? You're an NFL quarterback, and you telegraph your throws so blatantly? So on this day, in this practice, Kubiak watched Carr take his drop and watched his eyes as much as his arm. He watched to make sure Carr was surveying the entire field on his drop, not just half of it.
3. I think the interesting test for Houston's Williams will be whether he can handle all the crapola the first pick in the draft has to put up with. He's chafing at it right now. A defensive end out of North Carolina State, Williams is a good kid but has started to whine a bit about the media demands. Imagine going from one of three very good players on a decent college team's defense in a small market to the first pick of the NFL draft in a top 10 market. Courtney Brown hated the public side of it when Cleveland picked him No. 1 in 2000. Other guys have had problems with the intense time demands too. And what happens when Williams goes four games in a row without a sack and the fans are screaming for his head? It's going to happen. Being the first pick in the draft is one of those be-careful-what-you-wish-for kind of things. The money's great, the draft-week adulation in New York City's great, all the free stuff is great. But it all goes away if you stink, or even if you're just average. I wonder what fond memories Tim Couch has of going No. 1. Or Dan Wilkinson, or Jeff George.
Wonder if this is accurate.

tsip
08-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Many of us on this forum have been saying for years that Carr locks in on an area or specific receiver. Of course, as always the Carr lovers chastised us. I remember a particular incident last year with Charley Casserly on his Friday 610am morning show. Either a caller, or one of the hosts specifically asked Casserly about Carr's habit of locking onto a WR, and Cass said in so many words - that's overrated and media and fan driven. Every QB locks onto his primary target. Heck, Manning locks onto his target. I lauged so hard, I had stuff coming out my nose that is usually reserved for my stomach. What a bunch of BS I thought. Anyway, it's so refreshing to have Carr getting real coaching. This portends the beginning of the end for the Carr excuses. I don't expect him to be his best this year, but I expect that he make significant strides in some of these fundamental areas. If not, we need to go another direction in 2007.

Good Post. It's kinda scary to think so many people could see what was going on with the team, except those in a position to change things. My biggest concern now is whether Carr will be able to elevate his play to the next level and that begins with leaving the past behind--all the excuse making and 'coddling' are history--can Carr accept that? Now, he's accountable. How will he respond to that? When faced with a pass rush, will he be able in a timely manner to make the right decision and quick throw? It's going to be an entirely new experience for Carr to walk off the field as a success or as a failure and know the 'honeymoon' is over and he's part of the result---good or bad.

Lucky
08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
From Peter "I'd rather be watching girls lacrosse" King.
I wonder what fond memories Tim Couch has of going No. 1. Or Dan Wilkinson, or Jeff George.
I hope Mario remembers that at the first opportunity, Peter King compared him to a bunch of draft busts. Has King watched Williams play a down of football? No. And that doesn't matter to a hack like King. Someone in H-town pissed in his low fat-double expresso-extra whipped cream-hazelnut caffé mocha venti, and Peter will make us all pay.

Another gem from Peter the Great:
Petty and sportswriterish, yes, but when I finished listening to all the speeches (during which I aged about 17 years), my first thought was, Warren Moon made a mistake in not crediting John McClain, the Houston Chronicle sportswriter who made one of the best cases I've ever heard for a candidate in February in presenting Moon's case to the 39 selectors. Quite frankly, I wasn't voting for Moon before McClain spoke that day, but afterward I was a Moon man. Very powerful. I just think Moon would not have been standing there Saturday with a pedestrian presentation, and he should have thanked McClain in front of the world.
Well, at least we can agree that you're petty and sportswriterish (if "sportswriterish" is defined as self-important, phony, and lazy). So you weren't voting for Moon, until someone did the research for you that proved Warren was indeed a hall of famer? I'm glad Peter King takes his responsibility as a HOF voter seriously. And a Moon TD pass isn't a TD pass until "journalists" like McClain and King say it's a TD pass.

nunusguy
08-07-2006, 12:41 PM
palmer, pendry, capers and all the rest need to be seriously ashamed of themselves. what an awful job they did with the kid they invested so much in.

Hey, it goes all to the way to the very top. Old man McNair has got nobody to blame but himself because he got so thick with the HC and even the coachs family/wife that he bestowed the handle of "Karen's Caper" on one of his very favortie KY properties.

thunderkyss
08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
oh MY.... I hope Jerek and Infantrycak don't see this, or they'll accuse Coach Kubiak of not knowing a thing about football.... accussing David of staring down a reciever, and not acting like a 4 year starter....

oh my indeed.

jerek
08-07-2006, 01:14 PM
oh MY.... I hope Jerek and Infantrycak don't see this, or they'll accuse Coach Kubiak of not knowing a thing about football.... accussing David of staring down a reciever, and not acting like a 4 year starter....

oh my indeed.

Not at all. I've freely admitted he's done both. There's just a difference in the implied level of blame. Your writing, whether intentional or not, assigns Carr blame in spite of all of the obvious negative factors; i.e. Carr just sucks. My take leans more toward a causal relationship; Carr performs poorly primarily because of bad supporting cast and laughable coaching.

It's like asking you or anyone else to deliver a package to a destination ten miles away and then, rather than giving you a car to use, making you walk it. Sure, maybe you're not in shape, and if it's late, it might be true that you could have walked faster, jogged it out even. It's another thing entirely to act like you should have gotten the package there in ten minutes despite you not having a car.

Look, I'm not going to debate this any further with you. If you can't see that Carr is human and makes mistakes, maybe even more than many other great quarterbacks, and has had zero support to cover him on those mistakes, then there's nothing much I can say or do to convince you otherwise. Other than to say "I told you so" when Carr has a good year this time around ... though I suppose you will attribute that one to his teammates and coaching. Some guys just can't win, no matter how you slice it.

TwinSisters
08-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, interesting story indeed.

A rumour that Casserly is going to be working for CBS ( not in the NFL's highest office ). Once Casserly is assured not to be working in the NFL, then I suspect the NFL's east coast writers will start to tear into Carr and Casserly like they did with Casserly's mentor Beathard and his fatal mistake Ryan Leaf.

infantrycak
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM

oh my indeed.

Nice BS Boudreaux--where have I said anything contradicted by this article?...class...Bueller?

What has become clear this off-season is there was an almost complete abdication of responsibility by the old regime for coaching their QB. You can call it coddled or anything else you want--the best description is ignored.

From the article:

Carr is definitely one who wants and needs to be coached. He is no prima donna and he wants to be around people who will make him better. To him, those aren't just words. And with Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun micromanaging his every move, there's no doubt in my mind Carr's going to be a better player this year.

Runner
08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
What has become clear this off-season is there was an almost complete abdication of responsibility by the old regime for coaching their QB. You can call it coddled or anything else you want--the best description is ignored.

Couple that with the fact that we've never had an o-line coach experienced in coaching **gasp** an offensive line, and it's no wonder the Texans were such an offensive juggernaut. Make that just naught.

I just can't see how the offense won't be greatly improved. I don't know what will have more impact - the coaching or the new talent. Taken together, we should be fun to watch.

MightyTExan
08-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Just the playcalling alone should make things more intersesting.

joetexan
08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't think Peter King deserves the extensive criticism offered in an above post. Most of what he writes is informative and well-done. And, let's be honest - I really like Mario, but given what we know now about DD (see the post about the Rick Smith interview where he said DD needs to realize his knee will never be the same, and the Chronicle article that noted Kubiak was concerned about DD when he took the job, weeks before the draft), we need Bush more than we need Mario.

Face it, guys - we have zero depth at RB, and as much as everyone loves to chime in and say, "Defense wins championships" and "we need to pressure Peyton to move forward", neither of those means a thing if we can't put points on the board and keep pressure off of Carr. And, as much as everyone loves to rally around "the system", I'm not all that comfortable with putting all my faith into Antowain Smith, Wali Lundy, Vernand Morency, and Chris Taylor. Not exactly a pick-your-poison, murderers row.

IMO, the signing of Weaver and the transformation back to a 4-3 helped accomplish making the defensive side a lot better; the drafting of Bush would have helped make the offense (and the team) more complete. Instead we've got a great defensive line (again, not hating on Mario) and (unless one of the above RBs turns into the second coming of Terrell Davis), a one-trick pony offense with Carr trying to get the ball to Andre (and/or Moulds).

And, I know I'll be just blasted for this, but as much as I like Mario (and I do - for the fourth time in this post), there are things that concern me about him, like his many comments about playing in the heat, or his toenail problems, or his "chafing at the media attention" as Peter King calls it. Those aren't exactly indicative of a solid future warranting a No. 1 overall pick. I really hope Mario has it in him to live up to his talent potential and expectations, but I am concerned. And yes, I know that's probably too early to say since we've had exactly zero games this year to see him in action on the field. But, I still think we'd be better off with Bush than Mario given what we know about DD. (And I do like Mario - he is a beast with a lot of potential.)

I think that's what Peter King and a lot of NFL analysts outside of Harris County think. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't make him a hack or a moronic sportswriter. Heck, I hope I'm wrong, he's wrong, they're all wrong. But for the moment, while I'm excited about the upcoming season, I am left to wonder what this team might have looked like (and what kind of attention and credibility nationally it would have generated for the Texans) had Bush been the No. 1 pick.

infantrycak
08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Just because you don't agree with him doesn't make him a hack or a moronic sportswriter.

What makes him a hack or a moron are statements like this: "I think the Colts gained more with the addition of Adam Vinatieri than they lost with the subtraction of James."

So replacing the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL is going to help more than it hurts to loose a top 5 RB?--sure it does Petey.

tsip
08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
" Some guys just can't win, no matter how you slice it."

I made a post the other day about some of the 'things' that Kubiak was saying to/about Carr, like this quote, and hinted that maybe K is concerned about Carr's progress--maybe a little suprised at some of the 'basics' of his position that he has not mastered. I'm not professing to know what is behind this type of coaching skill, but it is interesting.

I can understand the volumes of rhetoric about 'all' that has been lacking in Carr's development that was beyond his control, but I have a difficult time accepting his lack of basic mastery skills of his craft. I mean-for example-if you're going to hire a person to be a NASCAR racer, you'd at least think he knows how to drive a car...

I'll be the first one to admit right here that my hat is off to Carr if he can turn around his performance in the next few weeks!!..if so, bring on the crow.

tsip
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
What makes him a hack or a moron are statements like this: "I think the Colts gained more with the addition of Adam Vinatieri than they lost with the subtraction of James."

So replacing the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL is going to help more than it hurts to loose a top 5 RB?--sure it does Petey.

...so, why can't he have an opinion w/o the name calling? Too, accuracy is one thing, kicking in 'crunch' time is another..

KKHouston
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Rick Smith interview where he said DD needs to realize his knee will never be the same, and the Chronicle article that noted Kubiak was concerned about DD when he took the job, weeks before the draft), we need Bush more than we need Mario.

I am left to wonder what this team might have looked like (and what kind of attention and credibility nationally it would have generated for the Texans) had Bush been the No. 1 pick.

If you know anything about Rick Smith or Gary Kubiak, signing your life away for a pick like Bush would never have happened. The just don't believe a back like Reggie would be worth the high outlay, and looking at their success record, they're correct until proven wrong. I respectfully disagree we needed Bush more than Mario.

And yes.. attention would have been generated, but why credibility? That makes no sense. You become credible when you draft a back with Potential to be successful? Hmmm... I don't know abou that.

HoustonFrog
08-07-2006, 03:25 PM

So true Porky. I pounded those two points and was just yelled at by the hair patrol.;). Hope everyones doing well!

ledzeppelin229
08-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I've lost several hours of my life reading Peter King's garbage in the past, and I intend on not making that mistake again unless I specifically see a Houston reference. He needs to just give up the NFL and stick to his daughters little league junk and his beloved Boston Red Sox that he writes about every week. I agree that some Houstonian pissed in his coffee because every single thing I've ever read from him about Houston has been negative.

hollywood_texan
08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
3. I think the interesting test for Houston's Williams will be whether he can handle all the crapola the first pick in the draft has to put up with. He's chafing at it right now. A defensive end out of North Carolina State, Williams is a good kid but has started to whine a bit about the media demands. Imagine going from one of three very good players on a decent college team's defense in a small market to the first pick of the NFL draft in a top 10 market. Courtney Brown hated the public side of it when Cleveland picked him No. 1 in 2000. Other guys have had problems with the intense time demands too. And what happens when Williams goes four games in a row without a sack and the fans are screaming for his head? It's going to happen. Being the first pick in the draft is one of those be-careful-what-you-wish-for kind of things. The money's great, the draft-week adulation in New York City's great, all the free stuff is great. But it all goes away if you stink, or even if you're just average. I wonder what fond memories Tim Couch has of going No. 1. Or Dan Wilkinson, or Jeff George.
Wonder if this is accurate.

All Williams will have to say is, "Carr got four years, so should I."

TexanSam
08-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I've lost several hours of my life reading Peter King's garbage in the past, and I intend on not making that mistake again unless I specifically see a Houston reference. He needs to just give up the NFL and stick to his daughters little league junk and his beloved Boston Red Sox that he writes about every week. I agree that some Houstonian pissed in his coffee because every single thing I've ever read from him about Houston has been negative.

Is the article in his Monday Morning QB negative? I think it's very informative. Peter King is my favorite NFL writer. He knows what he's talking about.

By the way, congrats on your 3000th post.

TwinSisters
08-07-2006, 04:12 PM
All Williams will have to say is, "Carr got four years, so should I."

Doesn't seem to be working so well for Travis Johnson.

ledzeppelin229
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Is the article in his Monday Morning QB negative? I think it's very informative. Peter King is my favorite NFL writer. He knows what he's talking about.

By the way, congrats on your 3000th post.

Thanks on the 3000th.

No it wasn't particularly negative, especially compared to his usual stuff. But I've read too much useless information in his articles (His aforementioned daughter, his beloved Red Sox, and theres actually a 3rd: An extremely disturbing man-love for Tom Brady (And everything Patriots) that I seem to remember noticing now and then. But really, I could be making the last one up. Can't really remember at this point but it seems to fit right in with the rest.)

When it comes to actually football reporting, he maybe has a paragraph or so that looks worth reading. Maybe I can dig up some of his old articles and see what I find, fortunately I haven't eaten a whole lot today and we're getting the carpet replaced soon so the clean up shouldn't be too bad.

hollywood_texan
08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Doesn't seem to be working so well for Travis Johnson.

It only works for the #1 pick in the draft and drafted by the Houston Texans.

Good point though!

ledzeppelin229
08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Here is my first example breakdown of a Peter King MMQBTE -- I'll provide more if it isn't adequate. This is just a random article I managed to google.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/05/02/mmqbte/1.html

I know you come to this column to read about football, sports and other things. I'll get to the regular Tuesday fare, your e-mails, in a few paragraphs. First, there's something a little more significant to discuss.

Here he admits he's a hack that fills up his articles with non-football material no one really cares about (from him, anyway).

Next he goes on an "emotional" and political rambling. Peter, this is what we watch the news for.

I sense that we in this country have Katrina fatigue. The New York Times reported as much recently, saying that people in some of the areas that welcomed Katrina evacuees last September are sick of hearing about the hurricane, the flooding and the aftermath.

Well, my wife and I were in a car last Wednesday that toured the hardest-hit area of New Orleans, the Lower Ninth Ward. We worked a day at a nearby Habitat for Humanity site on Thursday, and we toured the Biloxi/Gulfport/Long Beach/Pass Christian gulf shore area last Friday. And let me just say this: I can absolutely guarantee you that if you'd been in the car with us, no matter how much you'd been hit over the head with the effects of this disaster, you would not have Katrina fatigue.

What I saw was a national disgrace. An inexcusable, irresponsible, borderline criminal national disgrace. I am ashamed of this country for the inaction I saw everywhere.

I mentioned my outrage to the mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, on Thursday. He shook his head and said, "Tell me about it.'' Disgust dripped from his voice.

What are we doing in this country?

"It's been eight months since Katrina,'' said Jack Bowers, my New Jersey friend and Habitat for Humanity guide through the Lower Ninth Ward, as he took us through deserted streets where nothing, absolutely nothing, was being done about the wasteland that this place is.

"Eight months!" he said. "And look at it. When people talk to me about New Orleans, they say, 'Well, things are getting back to normal down there, aren't they?' I tell them things are a long, long way from normal, and it's going to be a long time before it's ever normal. And I tell them they've never seen anything like this.''

Our Mississippi guide, Josh Norman of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, put it this way: "People outside of here are tired of hearing about it. They've moved on to the next news cycle.''

How can we let an area like the Lower Ninth Ward sit there, on the eve of another hurricane season, with nothing being done to either bulldoze the place and start over, or rebuild? How can Congress sit on billions of looming aid and not release it for this area?

I can't help but think that if this were Los Angeles or New York, that 500 percent more money -- and concern -- would have flooded into this place. And I can't help but think that if the idiots who let the levees down here go to seed had simply been doing their jobs, we'd never have been in this mess in the first place -- in New Orleans, at least. Other than former FEMA director Michael Brown, are you telling me that no others are paying for this with their jobs? Whatever happened to responsibility?

Am I ticked off? Damn right I'm ticked off. If you're breathing, you should be morally outraged. Katrina fatigue? Hah! More Katrina news! Give me more! Give it to me every day on the front page! Every day until Washington realizes there's a disaster here every bit as urgent as anything happening in this world today -- fighting terrorism, combating the nuclear threat in Iran. I'm not in any way a political animal, but all you have to be is an occasionally thinking American to be sickened by the conditions I saw.

The Lower Ninth Ward is a 1.5-by-2-mile area a couple of miles from the center of New Orleans. It is a poor area. I should say it was a poor area. Before the storm, 20,000 people lived there. Fats Domino lived there. So, formerly, did Marshall Faulk. And now you drive through it and see nothing being done to fix it or tear it down, or to do anything.

In Mississippi, we drove through one formerly thriving beach town that has two structures left. We drove past concrete pads with litter and shards of wood around them. Former houses. The houses, quite literally, have been eviscerated. Hundreds of them. This is what nuclear winter must look like, I thought.

Notice how, at the beginning, he said he would get to football related stuff in a few paragraphs. Lies, all lies from Peter King.

To give him some credit, he does mention Marshall Faulk which I have bolded. In his mind he has now connected his ranting to the NFL, and thus justifies the above article.

I'm a sportswriter. It's not my job to figure how to fix what ails the Gulf Coast. But the leaders of this society are responsible. And they're not doing their jobs. I could ignore everything I saw and go back to my nice New Jersey cocoon, forgetting I saw it. And I know you don't read me to hear my worldviews. But I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't say something.

Then why do you have an entire internet page devoted to it, Peter?

His next two pages are concerned with NFL Football and the Draft, but despite talking about the first pick and the suspense, he never once mentions Houston, Texans, or Mario Williams. Instead he makes a couple paragraphs about how the Patriots and Broncos reloaded and makes a fuss about the Patriots 4th round kicker and how they got a 3rd round steal in David Thomas.

THE RICH GET RICHER. From Vince Chase of Winchester, N.H.: "With all the draft selection ink being given to the AFC bottom feeders, not much has been said about how well the top teams reloaded. So which of the following AFC powerhouses -- Colts, Steelers, Broncos and Patriots -- do you think reloaded for a championship run?"

While researching a Vince Young story a few weeks ago, I saw a bunch of highlight-film catches by Texas tight end David Thomas, including a spectacular seam route he ran to make a difficult catch while getting blasted at Oklahoma State by a safety. New England was lucky to get him in the third round.

You never know about young kickers, but the kid they got in the fourth round from Memphis, Stephen Gostkowski, was 10 for 10 on field goals outside of 40 yards last year, and he'll be given a chance to compete with Martin Gramatica to replace the legendary Adam Vinatieri. Those are the two AFC contenders that I think did the best.

I know this seems overdone, but I have deep and endless disgust for everything Peter King.

Wharton
08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
"David can't assume, 'I'm OK, we've just got to fix the stuff around me,''' Kubiak told me after a Texans practice, sounding Parcellsian. "He's not OK. He's a long way from being OK.''!I like Kubes! With or without DC, he will bring us a winner in time. Of course, I thought to myself as I read the above passage "Why did we gave this guy a $25 MM extension??".

:tomato:

Doody
08-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Did he really say we dont have any offensive weapons around Carr? If our offense really resembles Denver's, the running game shouldnt be a concern as long as we have a warm body to carry the ball (one that can hang on to it at least) and if Davis can pull through, we'll have more than enough talent. Isn't Putzier one of the top recieving TE in the league? and last I looked we have 3 recievers over 6ft 2in and 200lbs with great hands and two of them have names recognizable to anyone who's a fan of NFL football as star players. I'm pretty sure the Texans have enough respected players on offense. Do sportswritters ever do any research?

ocd
08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Carr lovers and Carr haters.

One thing is certain. Our QB, no matter who he is, will have trouble for a while with the playbook...count on it from Carr.

Plummer, Greise and even Elway had trouble initially with the complexity of the Bronco playbook. The only guy who really took to it was Steve Young and he had been Montana's backup for some time.

If the three mentioned for the Broncos had trouble with an established O line then just how much trouble will Carr have with all the transitions we're making? Please don't count on September being a great month because we could easily go 0 and 4 depending on so many aspects of the team.

So if Kubes is working on the little OBVIOUS things a QB does, I'm just hoping Carr is dissecting and digesting the playbook...and I mean ALL the intricacies.

tsip
08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
"Who is the best national football columnist (other than our buddy TMQ)?"

30.2% Peter King, SI
25.1% Len Pasquarelli, ESPN
20.4% Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman, SI
9.3% Chris Mortensen, ESPN 8.7% John Clayton, ESPN
3.4% Vic Carucci, NFL.com
2.9% Don Banks, SI

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/print/159/

...think maybe he'd get more respect by the Carr :homer: 's if he wrote that David was the 'best thing since sliced bread?' No, wait, I got it--he's really first on a list of the worse writers--'best' is a type-o.

Lucky
08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
30.2% Peter King, SI
2.9% Don Banks, SI

King may beat Banks 10 to 1 in a popularity contest. IMO, Banks has 10X the football knowledge.

painekiller
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
If you know anything about Rick Smith or Gary Kubiak, signing your life away for a pick like Bush would never have happened. The just don't believe a back like Reggie would be worth the high outlay, and looking at their success record, they're correct until proven wrong. I respectfully disagree we needed Bush more than Mario.

And yes.. attention would have been generated, but why credibility? That makes no sense. You become credible when you draft a back with Potential to be successful? Hmmm... I don't know about that.

I was rewatching the USC v Arizona from last year. Bush was not the back that changed that game, had some yards yes, but he did not worry the Arizona defense. Lendale White was the better back. He carried for the tough yards. He carried on the long drives. He ran behind one of the best college offensive lines ever to play the game.

Passing Reggie Bush was the best decision the team every made. A 10-15 carry RB does not change this team as much as a 60 play DE. Get over the ESPN hype. Reggie Bush is not Barry Sanders. He will be a distant memory before Mario retires. Reggie Bush is closer to Eric Metcalf than Gale Sayers IMO. Time will tell. :spy:

hollywood_texan
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Carr lovers and Carr haters.

One thing is certain. Our QB, no matter who he is, will have trouble for a while with the playbook...count on it from Carr.

Plummer, Greise and even Elway had trouble initially with the complexity of the Bronco playbook. The only guy who really took to it was Steve Young and he had been Montana's backup for some time.

If the three mentioned for the Broncos had trouble with an established O line then just how much trouble will Carr have with all the transitions we're making? Please don't count on September being a great month because we could easily go 0 and 4 depending on so many aspects of the team.

So if Kubes is working on the little OBVIOUS things a QB does, I'm just hoping Carr is dissecting and digesting the playbook...and I mean ALL the intricacies.

I think you are totally right.

But, it begs the question of if a future Hall of Famer like Elway had a tough time getting through it, why even run this thing? What's the reason for having the best plan but you can't implement it?

I am not banging Carr, but Elway was a unique athlete and it is tough to find some of his ability and decision making.

TwinSisters
08-07-2006, 07:04 PM

...think maybe he'd get more respect by the Carr :homer: 's if he wrote that David was the 'best thing since sliced bread?' No, wait, I got it--he's really first on a list of the worse writers--'best' is a type-o.

Peter King gets his props, but this link is flawed.

We chalk up Brady finishing second to our heavy New England readership

Since King stands with charges of being a patsy... the readership ruins the results about respect.

joetexan
08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey LedZep 269 - I think you are totally off base by criticizing the King article on New Orleans. I thought it was one of his absolute best pieces. Perhaps that's because I live in Louisiana and have seen New Orleans first-hand, and it affected me because I've lived in New Orleans and what happened there is incredibly sad. What he wrote is the same as what I felt after I saw it. It was a few paragraphs from the heart about something he felt strongly about, and it resonated with a lot of people. Is it directly football-related? Maybe not, but it is indirectly relevant through the city's connection with the Saints.

As for his not kissing David Carr's butt every time he pens a column, geez...if that's a reason for not liking him, you must not like any columnist out there at all. Maybe he does have a liking to Tom Brady, but let's see...Brady has three rings and is the best QB in the game today (Peyton included). He deserves the press. Carr simply does not deserve as much as Brady, and the Texans don't deserve as much coverage as the Pats.

He's far more informative/in the know than virtually anyone else out there. And if he throws in the occasional daughter detail or the ongoing coffeenerdness comment, that's fine IMO.

As for the credibility comment someone else posted on...I do think the team took a credibility hit for taking Mario over Bush. First, who was involved with the decision? A lame duck GM most think should have been fired immediately after the season. Why should he be involved with the draft process if he won't be a part of the future of the team? Plus, the team obviously needs a RB now with Davis so banged up, so why take a DE - especially when you had just signed a DE two months earlier for the same position? I think my definition of "credibility" also includes some national attention, and I should have clarified that. What I mean is, the Saints are somewhat in the national sports-fan consciousness now for more than Katrina and 40 years of losing. What do people have to identify with the Texans? Nobody, except that they're the team that passed on Bush when virtually nobody else would have. That's what I'm referring to in terms of credibility. And how some of you don't think Bush would have made the offense much better, I just cannot understand it. The offense (which really only has Carr, Johnson, and Moulds as legitimate weapons) has potential to go from awful to halfway decent without Bush. With him, it would have gone from awful to pretty good. Think about it...how good will the Saints offense be with him, as opposed to without?

Wolf
08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Last Thursday, the day I watched Carr run Houston's talent-shy first-team offense

Peter lost some credibility with the article on the offense with me on this.. AJ/DD(injured)/Moulds/pitts/Weigart/flannagan ... are pretty good talent IMO

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2006, 07:44 PM
As for the credibility comment someone else posted on...I do think the team took a credibility hit for taking Mario over Bush. First, who was involved with the decision? A lame duck GM most think should have been fired immediately after the season. Why should he be involved with the draft process if he won't be a part of the future of the team? Plus, the team obviously needs a RB now with Davis so banged up, so why take a DE - especially when you had just signed a DE two months earlier for the same position? I think my definition of "credibility" also includes some national attention, and I should have clarified that. What I mean is, the Saints are somewhat in the national sports-fan consciousness now for more than Katrina and 40 years of losing. What do people have to identify with the Texans? Nobody, except that they're the team that passed on Bush when virtually nobody else would have. That's what I'm referring to in terms of credibility. And how some of you don't think Bush would have made the offense much better, I just cannot understand it. The offense has potential to go from awful to halfway decent without Bush. With him, it would have gone from awful to pretty good. Think about it...how good will the Saints offense be with him, as opposed to without?

Why would we populate our heavily tilted investment on the offense further by selecting a RB at #1? When they extended Carr they then had 15+ million wrapped up in him and AJ through 2008. If you add Bush to that mix it would have been ~23 million wrapped in three skill position players. Just does not make good fiscal sense, in my opinion, in a game that is won or lost in the trenches.

Super Bowls are not won on credibility with the fans or the sportswriters, who are nothing but lemmings most of the time prodding over wire services. Moreover, credibility is not deserved in any profession, it is earned. By King tipping his hat to McClain, it is almost transparent on where his takes about the Texans are coming from. McClain may know football people but he certainly does not have the passion nor understanding of what this franchise is about and King's regurgitation of this stale line of thinking is all the proof that we need on King's credibility on this specific subject matter.

ledzeppelin229
08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey LedZep 269 - I think you are totally off base by criticizing the King article on New Orleans. I thought it was one of his absolute best pieces. Perhaps that's because I live in Louisiana and have seen New Orleans first-hand, and it affected me because I've lived in New Orleans and what happened there is incredibly sad. What he wrote is the same as what I felt after I saw it. It was a few paragraphs from the heart about something he felt strongly about, and it resonated with a lot of people. Is it directly football-related? Maybe not, but it is indirectly relevant through the city's connection with the Saints.

As for his not kissing David Carr's butt every time he pens a column, geez...if that's a reason for not liking him, you must not like any columnist out there at all. Maybe he does have a liking to Tom Brady, but let's see...Brady has three rings and is the best QB in the game today (Peyton included). He deserves the press. Carr simply does not deserve as much as Brady, and the Texans don't deserve as much coverage as the Pats.

He's far more informative/in the know than virtually anyone else out there. And if he throws in the occasional daughter detail or the ongoing coffeenerdness comment, that's fine IMO.

I (used to) read Peter King for football. I have news and the NSZ for that other stuff. Also, just because I criticize King's narrow minded view of the NFL doesn't really give you a reason to accuse me of being a Carr homer. Not once did I mention Carr's name in that post, if you can find it, let me know. And about his daughters crap, I used to have their damn names and activities memorized because he would talk about them every single article.

Insideop
08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
I found some parts of this article interesting and informative, but King lost any credibility with me by talking about our so called mistake of taking Mario over Bush. I wish these writers would get over the fact that we didn't take their beloved superhero, and there is nothing in the world that's going to change that fact! We picked Mario! GET OVER IT! LET'S MOVE ON! STOP :deadhorse ! PLEASE! Excuse my:rant:

:gotexans1

Maddict5
08-07-2006, 08:24 PM
maybe on thursday(couldnt be bothered checking), DD and moulds(heat) and even putz/other starters were sitting out so king sees chris taylor and kevin walters etc....no names to him so he calls it a talent shy offence.....

and why do people care what he thinks..i much prefer his report now rather than if he was really starting to talk us up etc

aj.
08-07-2006, 08:31 PM
... King lost any credibility with me by talking about our so called mistake of taking Mario over Bush.

Why should anyone lose credibility for having the opinion that the Texans made a mistake on draft day? It's an opinion and it's not off the wall. Maybe it was a mistake - maybe it wasn't. We may not know for a couple of years. Just because someone's not selling cups of Texans homer-ade on the street corner doesn't make them a fool.

Response to articles like this fall into predictable patterns. If it was pro-Texan, the writer was "right on the money." If it was in any way anti-Texan, the writer is usually a dumb ass or it's rationalized by "who cares what he thinks..."

Napa Auto Parts
08-07-2006, 08:50 PM

oh my indeed.

i hope Kubiak dont have a and account here jerek is sure to give him some bad rep for that i know first Hand. coming from jerek lol:stirpot:

edo783
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
In same artical, an interesting quote from the new GM.

"I guarantee Gary will have David go into the game on Sunday more confident about the game than he's ever been in his life,'' new Texans GM Rick Smith told me. "They'll massage the offensive game plan during the week and he'll feel great about what they're going to be doing by Sunday.''

And Kubiak says in another artical that Carr can be and is going in the direction to being a top 3-5 QB.

“In this league, the coach and the quarterback have to have a great relationship,” Kubiak said. You know the pressure that’s on that guy taking the snaps and he has to know you are doing everything to make him better. It’s been good, I love it. That’s why I do what I do. I’ve been around a lot of quarterbacks and it’s a (heck) of a battle to get to the point where you are one of those top three or top-five quarterbacks in this league. That’s a battle and a tremendous accomplishment when it does happen, but I see a guy that can do it and he’s headed in that direction.”

Porky
08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Why should anyone lose credibility for having the opinion that the Texans made a mistake on draft day? It's an opinion and it's not off the wall. Maybe it was a mistake - maybe it wasn't. We may not know for a couple of years. Just because someone's not selling cups of Texans homer-ade on the street corner doesn't make them a fool.

Response to articles like this fall into predictable patterns. If it was pro-Texan, the writer was "right on the money." If it was in any way anti-Texan, the writer is usually a dumb ass or it's rationalized by "who cares what he thinks..."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Predictable repsonse from the peanut gallery.

Maddict5
08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
and why do people care what he thinks..i much prefer his report now rather than if he was really starting to talk us up etc

i hope that wasnt referring to me:) ...i just meant that people should be expecting this because we know we have strengths(d-line) and weaknesses(o-line,secondary) so its better that king says we aren't a great team right now because if he did we'd know it wasnt a true report.....

anyway no need to be so cruel to the 'peanut gallery'...fans, by nature, dont like to hear bad things about the team pre-season and will get defensive plus sentences like 'talent-lacking offence' and 'shouldve taken reggie' paragraphs arent likely to endear him to texans fans, are they?

Insideop
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM

So aj, you're saying it's ok for the writer to express his opinion about the team, but it's not ok for me (or any fan) to express my/our opinion about the writer?

Also, I didn't say the Mario pick wasn't a mistake or was a mistake. The point I was trying to make is that I'm tired of all these sportswriters/fans :deadhorse and asking the same questions about why we didn't pick Bush! They need to get over it! We didn't pick him. Maybe we will regret it and maybe we won't. Only time will tell. And that's JMHO!

Maddict5
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Predictable repsonse from the peanut gallery.

predictable response from a pro-reggie poster to a pro-reggie article:tease:

AfricanCracker
08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Wowzers...

"I do agree that Bush would have gotten chewed up a good deal by defenses focusing on him because of the lack of other respected offensive weapons."

"Texans should have taken Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams with the first pick in the draft because Carr desperately needs another offensive weapon."

"the day I watched Carr run Houston's talent-shy first-team offense..."

I dont know what to say... i think this guy wrote this article 5 minutes before the deadline. How can anybody in the right mind; much less a Sports Illustrated NFL Beat writer, proclaim the texans offense as "talent shy", or even saying bush would get torn up because of the "lack of other respected offensive weapons." Ummm... yahhh. Geez, that is just pitiful. I must have been at a misunderstanding all of these years by thinking that going to multiple probowls merits more "respect" in retrospect to the respect of a rookie. Where has this guy been the past 10 years?? Eric freakin moulds... and he writes like he has never heard of this spectacular receiver. On top of that... Andre Johnson, ummm.. that makes sense. I guess reggie bush having played in 0 NFL games deserves more respect than quite possibly a "top 3" wide-out tandem in the league. After all, it is Reggie Bush... yup.... i see the light... how can a national sports writer forget two receivers in the likes of moulds and johnson?? All this ridiculous media affection given to bush is making me hope that bush is no more than a desmond howard or dante hall.... i know he's much better than those talents, but nothing would please me more than to see williams as the DROY, on his way to the playoffs, booking his tickets to hawaii... haha, kinda corny, but thats what has to happen,.. mario, if your out there.... DOMINATE... so many things will go right if you play like the freak of nature that you are... ok, enough venting... cheers

Wolf
08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I honestly think the reports we get on here is more accurate than what Peter King or Len (not going to spell his last name from espn) or even Clayton gives.. those guys are talking about 32 teams...and the "assistants" they have goes through them then him..

I am not saying some on here sugar coat things but I think people like AJ or TC or jerek or coach..tell it like it is... granted we might have steel blue glasses on at times but I trust their take over a weeks worth of practice than one day with king over here.

:twocents:

Wolf
08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
it is easy for anyone to get a first impression after the first day but everyone knows that sometimes that one time might not tell the whole story

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2006, 09:36 PM

We were 2-14 last year. I see zero problem with fans taking in their own poster board material against national sportswriters who take a hardline against our team.

All of you in the peanut gallery are very bad people and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Now log off of your system and go to bed after you have dusted off your monitor and cleaned your keyboard.

thunderkyss
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM

If we had picked anyone, other than the offensive coordinator from the Denver Broncos as our new head coach...... then I can understand people thinking the Texans would take REggie Bush with the #1 overall. But as soon as I found out Kubiak was our guy..... I had no doubt we'd pass on Reggie.... no doubt.

But having Kubiak on my team, and DD, and Morency, and Wells...... at the time..... IMHO is like having a Ladanian Tomlinson, or a Priest Holmes, or a Larry Johnson.... even a Duece McAllister & Michael Bennette on our team.

If you have any of those guys on your team(or a combo, like DD & Morency, and Duece & Bennett) then you don't even consider a Reggie Bush. It makes no sense...

If You're a Tennessee, with a Kris Brown, or NewYork Jets, with an aging & ailing Curtis Martin...... then you take Reggie Bush.

With the Texans at #1 overall, D'brickshaw Ferguson, or Mario Williams should have been projected going #1 overall from the get go.......

Reggie was the Most Talented player in the Draft(excluding Vince Young of course....... but he's more than just a player), but Houston wasn't dissatisfied with their QB, and their running game was actually better than most......

The only way anyone could possibly think Reggie would go #1, was if they were expecting a trade..... & if you were smart, and wanted Reggie, you wouldn't trade higher than #2, to beat the Titans to the punch...... but with McNair's contract and all...... you'd have to be stupid not to think they would take a QB..... so then you only had to beat the Jets....who gambled hoping Regie would fall....... which he should've...

TexanSam
08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
But having Kubiak on my team, and DD, and Morency, and Wells...... at the time..... IMHO is like having a Ladanian Tomlinson, or a Priest Holmes, or a Larry Johnson.... even a Duece McAllister & Michael Bennette on our team.

Wells isn't on the team anymore. Became a free agent, but I don't think he's signed with anyone.

aj.
08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
So aj, you're saying it's ok for the writer to express his opinion about the team, but it's not ok for me (or any fan) to express my/our opinion about the writer?

You said King "lost all credibility" with you because he said the Texans made a mistake taking Williams. What I was asking is why is that opinion not credible?

Porky
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
predictable response from a pro-reggie poster to a pro-reggie article:tease:

Granted, I wanted Reggie, and still think he was the better choice. I hope I am proven wrong. I think Mario is an excellent #2 choice. It's not so much I am anti Mario, as I am pro Bush. Hopefully, I am wrong.

In terms of AJ's statement, it really doesn't matter what the subject matter is. If he/she happens to have an opinion that isn't 100% homer approved, they are bashed. That's all well and good. Have your fun. Personally, I seek objective opinions from various sources. I may agree, or I may disagree, but I hope to learn something either way. I prefer that style of writing to cheerleading, but I do realize that is a minority viewpoint on a forum such as this.

aj.
08-07-2006, 10:22 PM
i hope that wasnt referring to me:) ...

I hadn't read what you posted until now, so no, that was a coincidental choice of words.

anyway no need to be so cruel to the 'peanut gallery'...fans, by nature, dont like to hear bad things about the team pre-season and will get defensive plus sentences like 'talent-lacking offence' and 'shouldve taken reggie' paragraphs arent likely to endear him to texans fans, are they?

Cruel? I was just wondering how an SI writer could "lose credibility" simply by expressing an opinion....(one that happens to be shared by many) .... does that mean whomever shares that opinion all "lack credibility?" (apples), or does that mean you just disagree with the guy - which I happen to btw - and are tired of hearing it. (oranges)

...that plus I was citing the predictability of responses (in general) to anything that's written it seems .. good or bad ... informed opinion or left field....

We were 2-14 last year. I see zero problem with fans taking in their own poster board material against national sportswriters who take a hardline against our team.
I have no problem with it either and I happen to disagree with King's take on Bush. But that has nothing to do with the notion that he's coming from a place that isn't believable or trustworthy - especially if the recoil is only because he's taken a hard line on us for whatever reason.

thunderkyss
08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Wells isn't on the team anymore. Became a free agent, but I don't think he's signed with anyone.

Thanks TexanSam........ but I did say "at the time"

dalemurphy
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
You said King "lost all credibility" with you because he said the Texans made a mistake taking Williams. What I was asking is why is that opinion not credible?

Right on... The real question is, "why did Peter King have credibility with you up to that point?" He's a talented writer and satirist. However, he is Tony Kornheiser with a full head of hair. His opinion shouldn't hold much weight.

tsip
08-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Right on... The real question is, "why did Peter King have credibility with you up to that point?" He's a talented writer and satirist. However, he is Tony Kornheiser with a full head of hair. His opinion shouldn't hold much weight.

...hadn't seen you posting lately like you did last year, everything OK?

southtexan
08-08-2006, 12:00 AM
That guy from SI is just giving his unbiased opinion on our beloved Texans, I'll just take for what it is, I truly believe that Mario was the right choice, also, Compared to last year we do have more talent on offense maybe that's not saying much but we do have more talent that the previous year.

quicksilver
08-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Peter King is not an Xs and Os guy. He is not a technique guy. He is a human interest guy. He writes about the NFL from the point of view of the people who play the game and about the gameday experience from the perspective of the fans. What he writes is based on the NFL players and personnel with whom he speaks (and he has good relationships with many, many such) and on what he sees take place on the gridiron--again, without much technical knowledge.

When I've had the time to read his stuff, I've enjoyed much that he has had to say. But I don't ever look for an accurate talent report from King. It ain't gonna happen. That's not what he writes and that's not what he's qualified to write.

I can only repeat what others have pointed out--we get the best information available on the technical progress of our Houston Texans here on this message board from the people who have access to the practices and team personnel and who have the knowledge and experience to recognize the nuts and bolts of what's taking place and have the communication skills to convey all of that to us.

TEXANRED
08-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Can someone tell me how you can continually say this is a talentless offense when you have AJ on one side and Moulds on the other and Putzier as your TE? DD is hurt right now but will be ready by the season opener and Smith does have a super bowl ring for a reason.

Its the D I am worried about. Solid D line but after that a severe drop. Our best player at the LB position may be a Rookie and Drob, (until Pbuc can prove he can cover and hit someone) is the only CB with any skills. I am still not convinced at the safety position. They are going to have to show me something.

Its going to be a long year on the D side of the ball so if we are going to win 10-11 games like some of us say, Carr is going to have to be clutch and win some shoot outs.

jerek
08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Peter King is not an Xs and Os guy. He is not a technique guy. He is a human interest guy. He writes about the NFL from the point of view of the people who play the game and about the gameday experience from the perspective of the fans. What he writes is based on the NFL players and personnel with whom he speaks (and he has good relationships with many, many such) and on what he sees take place on the gridiron--again, without much technical knowledge.

When I've had the time to read his stuff, I've enjoyed much that he has had to say. But I don't ever look for an accurate talent report from King. It ain't gonna happen. That's not what he writes and that's not what he's qualified to write.

I can only repeat what others have pointed out--we get the best information available on the technical progress of our Houston Texans here on this message board from the people who have access to the practices and team personnel and who have the knowledge and experience to recognize the nuts and bolts of what's taking place and have the communication skills to convey all of that to us.

Great post, young grasshopper. Welcome to the MB.

bigTEXan8
08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Can someone tell me how you can continually say this is a talentless offense when you have AJ on one side and Moulds on the other and Putzier as your TE? DD is hurt right now but will be ready by the season opener and Smith does have a super bowl ring for a reason.

Its going to be a long year on the D side of the ball so if we are going to win 10-11 games like some of us say, Carr is going to have to be clutch and win some shoot outs.

Well, about Smith, he doesn't run like the RB he is. He's a big guy, who doesn't really hit the hole like he should. He won the SB ring on the back of T. Brady and master jedi Bellichick.

I do agree with you though that Carr is going to have to win some shootouts though. I like the d-line, and it appears pretty staunch, but other the D-Rob, I don't have complete and utter faith in anyone else behind them. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

Vinny
08-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I've talked about Carr and his issues for years.....why does it take some dufus like Peter King to make this "insightful"?....in year 5

HJam72
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I've talked about Carr and his issues for years.....why does it take some dufus like Peter King to make this "insightful"?....in year 5

If you were a dufus, we'd listen to you too. :ok:

bigTEXan8
08-08-2006, 10:28 AM

hehehehahah...that's true. I'm sorry yo, but that's funny.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Its the D I am worried about. Solid D line but after that a severe drop. Our best player at the LB position may be a Rookie and Drob, (until Pbuc can prove he can cover and hit someone) is the only CB with any skills. I am still not convinced at the safety position. They are going to have to show me something.

You might have Moulds and AJ (Putzier is mediocre) but if you don't have an O-Line to block for them and give Carr time to throw to them then it doesn't matter how good your receivers are. And your starting RB is injured.

So from the outside looking in, i won't call it a "talentless" offense but having talent only gets you so far.

The O-Line needs to step up .... big time. (but i'm just staing the obvious)

bigTEXan8
08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
You might have Moulds and AJ (Putzier is mediocre) but if you don't have an O-Line to block for them and give Carr time to throw to them then it doesn't matter how good your receivers are. And your starting RB is injured.

I think that Morency is going to be a welcomed suprise around the league. I totally believe he is going to bust out this year. There's is still a part of me that misses Wells though.

Nutbusta
12-18-2006, 11:03 AM
If Carr won't sit himself down.
I think we need mafia intervention.

Sportsfan
12-18-2006, 11:10 AM
This is from August...