PDA

View Full Version : How many drives will the first team play in preseason?

TexanSam
08-06-2006, 11:58 PM
In the Hall of Fame game, each team only played one series. Is that what we should expect on Saturday? I always figured at least a quarter.

Bobo
08-07-2006, 12:22 AM
In the Hall of Fame game, each team only played one series. Is that what we should expect on Saturday? I always figured at least a quarter.

One series in the first exhibition game has been standard, well, for about as long as they had exhibition games.

Ye Olde Pro
08-07-2006, 06:51 AM
My guess is that the O line will go the entire 1st quarter. Carr will see 2 series, remember, these guys have something they want to prove!

And we need to be supportive. Kubiak is a brilliant young man. BUT... he doesn't take the snaps anymore. only time will tell how well he teaches. Personally, I have faith in this bunch and the way they are approaching this season. They know that expectations are high. I don't believe that we'll be disappointed.

texanfan2100
08-07-2006, 09:11 AM

Since both offensive and defensive systems are new, you might see the regulars for longer than usual. Usually for the first game, the starters are in for 2-3 series. Then they'll ususally play for about a quarter in the second game. The third game is where you see them most, as they play into the second half normally. The fourth game, though, don't even bother. If, that's if, the starters play at all, they only play for one series. The exception to this would be the Texans last year, when they looked so bad in their third game that they had to play alot in the final game.

As far as last night, don't put too much weight into how much the Eagles and Raiders played their guys. Remember, both of those teams play five preseason games, so their tendancies won't be the same as other teams.

stx-texans
08-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe starters will be out after 1st or 2nd series especially with all the injuries so far on the team.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I believe starters will be out after 1st or 2nd series especially with all the injuries so far on the team.

I agree.

I think the coaching staff wants to see them at full speed against someone that does not know the plays on the other side of the ball as well as get that initial hit at full impact form the other side.

Then they will get them out. mainly because they have so much depth this season that they need to see many players in game situations to see which of 3 guys deserve that one open position roster. ( I am not specifying any positions, it was just a vague statement about all positions that have abundance of talented guys, but limited spots on the roster)

Tyr
08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Also keep in mind that the teams playing in the HOF game get 5 preseason games, isn't as important to play your starters more than a series.

I would expect to see the main starters for 2-3 series and some maybe the whole 1st QTR.