PDA

View Full Version : Tramon Williams

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I've read much of the thread discussions about our CB situation and the lack of depth (I agree). However, I've seen just about every CB's name in the discussions except Tramon Williams. First off, he holds the 2005 statistical award for passes defended / PBUs in NCAA IA football. Secondly, he has lead our DBs (Texans) in PBUs through most of camp.....(I know P-Buch and D-Rob are currently injured. I'm speaking about our healthy DBs, including the new "vets"). He was considered as one of our 5 best CBs at the end of mini-camp and OTAs. The kid is very smart, has outstanding hips and can cover. Tramon has a freakishly wide wingspan for his height and can vert 41". Here's an additional bonus........the kid hits like a freight train! He doesn't shy from any contact what-so-ever. So, tell me what you folks have heard thus far about Tramon with regards to camp......any insight/thoughts?

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Here....this is what I was talking about. Take a look at Tramon's scout grades compared to the other CBs taken ahead of him in the draft and I believe the Texans got a pretty darn good player!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/williams_tramon
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/key

Sco-tai
08-06-2006, 10:20 PM
wow...great read.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of him? I'm the one that started the "DB wish list" thread a few days ago and I'm embarrassed to admit I had never heard of him.

Now...if ONLY we could get a depth chart. I mean..c'mon guys. If the Raiders & Giants can get one out there, certainly so can Kub & the gang. I mean.....we're not asking for THE FINAL...just "current status', aye!?!?

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Exactly....I've been to the practices and this kid has been making plays! I was at the La Tech vs Auburn game in 2004 when Tramon "smashed" Ronnie Brown. It wasn't one of those "caught off guard" shots either. Both players knew the other was comin', they sized each other up and let what ever happen..happen. Tramon caught Ronnie right around the chest / chin area and almost knocked him out. Tramon has all the tools to be a huge contributor for the Texans....all he needs is the opportunity. He's my pick for a solid back-up CB and I'll be there Saturday to root for him!

aj.
08-06-2006, 10:31 PM
... He was considered as one of our 5 best CBs at the end of mini-camp and OTAs?

According to ....?

Dunta, Petey, P Buc, Sanders, McKenzie....

So you're saying he was ahead of either Sanders or McKenzie. Based on.....?

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-06-2006, 10:32 PM
wow...great read.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of him? I'm the one that started the "DB wish list" thread a few days ago and I'm embarrassed to admit I had never heard of him.

Now...if ONLY we could get a depth chart. I mean..c'mon guys. If the Raiders & Giants can get one out there, certainly so can Kub & the gang. I mean.....we're not asking for THE FINAL...just "current status', aye!?!?
Your knot alone I read as much as I can and I've never heard of him. Maybe AJ, or Coach C or anyone else thats been to TC can fill us in on his status.

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 10:34 PM
AJ...every player you mentioned received a "Playmaker" jersey except a healthy McKenzie. It was the 4 others you mentioned plusTramon Williams.

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Please...I'm just curious!

southtexan
08-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Please...I'm just curious!
AJ....have you noticed this CB, if so do you think he's got a shot to make at least the pratice squad?

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Remember AJ....Tramon Williams (#41) was the CB who snagged a one-handed pick during a practice last week. Then on yesterday, he went up high to knock a pass down and it was picked by Simmons (?).

aj.
08-06-2006, 10:52 PM
fwiw, from a "notice" perspective, I see John Walker making more plays than Williams.

Justafan, you appear to be the one with all the scoop on Williams.

mexican_texan
08-06-2006, 10:57 PM
fwiw, from a "notice" perspective, I see John Walker making more plays than Williams.

Justafan, you appear to be the one with all the scoop on Williams.
In the highlights from camp shown on ABC13(in which some of you guys were in) John Walker was often around the play, I don't know if it was because the QB picked on him or if he rushed to the ball swiftly.

aj.
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Walker doesn't have great speed but he seems to be in the right place at the right time more often than not.

That Simmons interception was a terrible pass (jump ball) into the endzone into quadruple coverage. Almost hail mary-ish. It was much more of a bad play by the QB as it was a good play by the DBs.

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Maybe Saturday's pre-season opener will do some "swaying". :texans:

JUSTAFAN
08-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Has anyone noticed that they are trying Walker at the Free Safety position?

AFD1717
08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Tramon seems like the classic tweener. Smaller than you'd like for a safety and slower than you'd like for a corner. Hopefully his play will outweigh his measurables because he seems like a good football player.

JUSTAFAN
08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
One thing about Tramon......he's a gamer. The way I see it, D-Rob is a beast at the position. He owns it. He's the man! No question. Sanders has good size and has looked great throughout camp. This is a contract year for P Buch so expect him to shine (that's just the way it is!). Other than those three, it's really up for grabs. I've read what Faggins fans (great practice player) and McKenzie fans (come on now!) have written in their threads and I can respect their loyalty, but the only three sure fired CBs who have a spot locked-up are the three that were mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph. I'm just a fan. Who knows.....crazier things have happened. Let's just see what happens on Saturday. :hmmm:

jerek
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
FWIW I haven't noticed Tramon much one way or the other, meaning nothing really good but nothing bad either. However I tend to watch a particular group of players and don't have the luxury of video review for analyzing the others, so that opinion is probably only worth so much. I have heard good things about him though and I think he will likely make the squad if for no other reason that our lack of depth at DB right now.

JUSTAFAN
08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Well, all he needs is for the stars and moon to line up creating an opportunity. Once he gets the opportunity, we'll be hearing a lot more from this kid!

LORK 88
08-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, all he needs is for the stars and moon to line up creating an opportunity. Once he gets the opportunity, we'll be hearing a lot more from this kid!
Well if by stars and moon you mean McKenzie and Fagins getting hurt, then yes he has his chance. It sucks we lost those 2 guys, but all it means is that someone else has the chance to step up and be big for us. Personally, Im hoping its him or Walker.

JUSTAFAN
08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Great thread! I agree with that. That's all this game is about. How would we ever know if Tramon or Walker can get the job done if the opportunity doesn't present itself? Let me clarify something.....you hate to see anyone go down injured. That's not what I want to see. However, this does present an opportunity. Walker has been taking mostly all reps as a Free Safety and doing a pretty good job. Tramon has been making consistant plays at the CB spot. Remember, you heard it here first....TRAMON IS ALSO BIG HITTER!

TexanAddict
08-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Justafan, are you, in fact, Tramon Williams?

JUSTAFAN
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
You would think so by the way I root for this kid! No, I'm not Tramon. I'm something like an older brother to him though. He's one of the guys (family) represented by Next Level Sports & Entertainment. www.1nextlevel.com :shades:

Coach C.
08-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Justafan, Tramon Williams has been doing ok during TC. He at no point was in the top 5 of CBs on our team, but I like your enthusiasm. Tramon shows that he is athletic enough to play in this league, but he makes alot of rookie mistakes. You mentioned how smooth his hips were, but he routinely opens the gate making it hard for him to direct a receiver. His hand punch does not move receivers, leaving him beat out the gate in press coverage. While he is physical and does not shy from contact, he has a tendency to get his head down to early making his tackles all to easy to avoid or break with a move. Overall I would say that Tramon has a good chance of making the practice squad, but he will have to show something major in order to make the active roster. He has these upcoming preseason games to survive the Turk. I personally think he can do it, but I dont see him making the active roster without improvement. Right now John Walker slightly edges him out, but if Tramon comes in and works his @ss off he could make some noise.

Porky
08-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Excellent analyis coachc! Tramon and Walker are longshots to make the final roster, but may land on the practice squad. Maybe one or both will be our next Faggins.

OVerall, I think our secondary is one of the worst in the league. I think it was the failure of the offseason not to address it in FA or the draft. Pburnt is a soft prima donna, and other than Dunta we have nobody who deserves to start in a standard formation, even when healthy. The depth is less than avg at corner. At safety, Earl and Brown to me are solid backups, but not starter quality, and neither of them shows the kind of range you need at FS, which means we have a SS playing FS. And the depth at safety is terrible. Easily the worst area on the team, and we better hope for one heck of a pass rush, or we are in for a long season via the air. :crying:

Coach C.
08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Porky I see what you are saying, but it I would not go that far. P. Buch has worked his ass off to get back to when he was a solid cover corner. He will never be able to tackle and that is the fault of the old regime for thinking they could get him to do so. Earl and Brown are adequate safeties, but you are right they do not have alot of range. Brown is quite solid in coverage though and will not be nearly as lost as he was last year. Michael Stone has alot of range and we might see him a good bit on certain packages. As far as depth goes now that Petey, Buch, and McKenzie is out we really dont have any. Some castoff vets and wet behind the ear rookies that could turn into something. The great thing about the situation is that we will see exactly what Tramon Williams and John Walker can bring to the table this preseason.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Excellent analyis coachc! Tramon and Walker are longshots to make the final roster, but may land on the practice squad. Maybe one or both will be our next Faggins.

OVerall, I think our secondary is one of the worst in the league. I think it was the failure of the offseason not to address it in FA or the draft. Pburnt is a soft prima donna, and other than Dunta we have nobody who deserves to start in a standard formation, even when healthy. The depth is less than avg at corner. At safety, Earl and Brown to me are solid backups, but not starter quality, and neither of them shows the kind of range you need at FS, which means we have a SS playing FS. And the depth at safety is terrible. Easily the worst area on the team, and we better hope for one heck of a pass rush, or we are in for a long season via the air. :crying:
I understand your concern I think we all have it for our DB's but dont get uptight just yet we still have preseason games to see what the young pups can do plus we can still pick up other players that are bound to get cut from other teams. Its not time to lose faith in our players,coaches or FO yet we still have time. If where in this position a week before the reg. sea. then we panick.

Porky
08-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I understand your concern I think we all have it for our DB's but dont get uptight just yet we still have preseason games to see what the young pups can do plus we can still pick up other players that are bound to get cut from other teams. Its not time to lose faith in our players,coaches or FO yet we still have time. If where in this position a week before the reg. sea. then we panick.

That's all well and good. But, if you are relying on other teams camp cuts to improve your team, that doesn't bode well for all of the heads in the clouds, glass totally full homers predicting 13-3 seasons now does it? 6-10 for me, thankyavedymuch.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-08-2006, 06:31 PM
That's all well and good. But, if you are relying on other teams camp cuts to improve your team, that doesn't bode well for all of the heads in the clouds, glass totally full homers predicting 13-3 seasons now does it? 6-10 for me, thankyavedymuch.
Too a point I agree with you that camp cut are not a fix to the problem but more like a bandaid, PB is nick up and Drob is already back in pratice not 100% but he's back. Find a vet. that can go till Petey gets back last I heard that was the 6/7 game just to get by. WE all know DB is the concern but we have to faith in the team as a whole. I also disagree with most of the 13-3 posters on this MB. IMO we have a 8-8 season that is a very large step in the right direction. This team has a lot on its plate to take in in a short time and add to that the 5th hardest sedule(misspelled I Know) in the NFL. Again all I'm saying is chill, I'm sure the coaches see more than we do.

JUSTAFAN
08-10-2006, 10:13 AM
What??? No T-Mon chatter??? Oh well, he's my guy so I'll just have to hold this down myself. Here goes....T-Mon or Tre' (the guys now call him) is going to make it real hard for a decision to be made as to who should be at the second spot. Come this Saturday, he's going to re-write the depth chart! Go Texans!!! Go Tre'!!!!!!! :yahoo:

YoungTexanFan
08-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe one or both will be our next Faggins.

Stopped reading your post after that line. I want no part of that.

JUSTAFAN
08-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I know that's right Young Texan Fan.....Porky must've just fell asleep at the wheel. Tell you what....If Faggins doesn't come back swingin', he's gone.

YoungTexanFan
08-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I know that's right Young Texan Fan.....Porky must've just fell asleep at the wheel. Tell you what....If Faggins doesn't come back swingin', he's gone.

I'll take your boy or a aging pirate over faggins anyday.

JUSTAFAN
08-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Solid (I'm bringing that slang back)! I'm with ya'. Are you going to the game Saturday?

Hookem Horns
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
The first I heard of this guy was that jersey thread. Mario jerseys are being sold with just the name "Williams" on the back. Someone was asking why the jerseys didn't match what Mario was now wearing in camp which is "M. Williams". Mario had to switch to "M. Williams" because Tramon Williams joined camp. Someone was joking that they hoped Tramon would get cut so that his jersey would be accurate. :)

So that is all I know about Tramon Williams. Like everyone else here I have not seen anything in print about him or heard anyone speaking about him.