PDA

View Full Version : Camp: Saturday 8/5

jerek
08-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Chris Taylor and Antowain Smith received most of the first team reps. Morency mostly played on the second team. Taylor looked less than a hundred percent.

Seth Wand was receiving most of the first team reps at LT. I may yet end up eating crow about the guy after all.

Robaire Smith took a lot of first team reps at DT today, in place of Seth Payne.

Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Spencer and Babin were having at it again -- no fight, but it looks like they've got an ongoing battle. Nothing to worry about though; I like to see the fire myself.

Pitts and Spencer make for a dominating left side for the running game.

Our secondary was really struggling today. Our safeties having trouble staying up top. DeMeco looks really good at MLB and remains first team and our probable starter.

Our first team defensive line is still really strong.

Carr was staring down Andre a little too much but for the most part looked good. The TE underneath across the middle continues to dominate, as does the quick slant.

Joppru looked good today but dropped one sure pass. He's getting involved and IMO will challenge for 2nd TE spot.

Practice looked somewhat sloppy today, but the heat was absolutely oppressive, so I can chalk it up to that in part.

Man zones and zone dogs/blitzes are looking good on D. Liked the TE up the seam against Cover 2. Playcalling continues to impress.

Short update, so I apologize. Anyone else who was there, feel free to add.

blockhead83
08-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks again for the scoop. When you say Taylor was less than a hundred percent, do you mean he wasn't at the top of his game, he looked dinged, or both? How is Weary filling in for McKinney at RG? Also, nobody has mentioned our FB's much, is Jameel Cook getting any touches in 11 on 11's?

jerek
08-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks again for the scoop. When you say Taylor was less than a hundred percent, do you mean he wasn't at the top of his game, he looked dinged, or both? How is Weary filling in for McKinney at RG? Also, nobody has mentioned our FB's much, is Jameel Cook getting any touches in 11 on 11's?

Weary looked overmatched at times, but he is often going up against either Mario or Weaver, so maybe that's to be expected. I'm not sure what Taylor's deal is; he looked like he was limping slightly on Thursday, so not sure if he's got an injury or was just sort of out of it. He just looked 90%ish to me today, whatever the reason. Either way I liked that he was receiving so many of the first team reps. Our FBs rarely if ever run the ball but do go out for passes.

RTP2110
08-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I think you got about everything I saw wrapped up jerek. IMO, this was the hottest practice so far. I was close to leaving about 30 mins in to it, but it stayed pretty cloudy after that.

jerek
08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I think you got about everything I saw wrapped up jerek. IMO, this was the hottest practice so far. I was close to leaving about 30 mins in to it, but it stayed pretty cloudy after that.

Definitely the hottest yet.

aj.
08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Our secondary was really struggling today.

Joppru looked good today but dropped one sure pass. He's getting involved and IMO will challenge for 2nd TE spot.

Lewis Sanders and Dexter McCleon running first team corners was a bit scary.

Joppru more than made up for the drop with a beautiful diving catch in the endzone near the end of practice.

Get used to TEs lining up at fullback ... not H-back ... fullback.

It's only a matter of time until Spencer is our starting left tackle.

Carr pulled the defense offsides several times today (Babin twice) with a hard count.

I like what I'm seeing out of John Walker so far.

Charlie Anderson got most of the first team reps at Sam with Orr out.

Flanagan sat out this morning. Hodgdon can't handle Robaire and/or Weaver.

Owen Daniels appears to have the knack for finding the soft spots in the zone. He has good hands and some quicks.

I posted somewhere on another board that we will have a top-ten defensive line which caught some immediate ridicule. We have a very good 7 man rotation with Mario, Kalu, Robaire, Weaver, Payne, Babin, and Peek. Sprinkle in the aggressiveness of Richard Smith and I haven't seen anything like this since House of Pain, Buddy or Fisher. There are going to be a lot of stops for loss or no gain this year BUT there will be problems when the offense attacks the second and third tier. Our defense will make a lot of big plays - in terms of QB pressures, losses, no-gains - but they will also give up some big plays over the top or whenever the opponent is able to breach the first wave.

alphajoker
08-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Long distance thank you from Corpus on TC updates. I hate hearing the bad reports on the secondary though but I just hope that the D-line can make their jobs easier with an effective pass rush.

Wolf
08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I posted somewhere on another board that we will have a top-ten defensive line which caught some immediate ridicule. We have a very good 7 man rotation with Mario, Kalu, Robaire, Weaver, Payne, Babin, and Peek. Sprinkle in the aggressiveness of RIchard Smith and I haven't seen anything like this since House of Pain. There are going to be a lot of stops for loss or no gain this year BUT the problem is when the runner/receiver gets into the second and third tier. Our defense will make a lot of big plays - in terms of QB pressures, losses, no-gains - but they will also give up some big plays over the top or whenever the opponent is able to breach the first wave.

Aj don't tease me.. I am thinking Sean Jones,Ray Childress,Doug Smith and William Fuller .. when I read that :drool:

jerek
08-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Aj don't tease me.. I am thinking Sean Jones,Ray Childress,Doug Smith and William Fuller .. when I read that :drool:

He's not teasing. Dead serious. Our defensive line is going to be top-10 -- I daresay top-5 -- this year.

Really good update, aj, you covered some of the things I left out.

ArlingtonTexan
08-05-2006, 01:42 PM
In terms of investment, both money and draft picks, we should have top 10 DL. I am glad to see that the early reports are that the Return on Investment is looking good.

Wolf
08-05-2006, 01:43 PM
He's not teasing. Dead serious. Our defensive line is going to be top-10 -- I daresay top-5 -- this year.

Really good update, aj, you covered some of the things I left out.

on a side note and I realize it takes a unit to make a good OL, but have y'all seen any offensive lineman be consistant? as far as holding their own?

granted a player is going to be beat a time or two,but any o-lineman standing out?

aj.
08-05-2006, 01:44 PM
In terms of investment, both money and draft picks, we should have top 10 DL.

I was about to say - and I often do (the people who I talk to are sick of hearing it) we SHOULD have a Top 10 d-line because they are one of the highest paid d-lines in the league.

Honoring Earl 34
08-05-2006, 01:49 PM
So Jerek or AJ , who is the steal of the draft in your respective opinions ? If you count Joppru as a 1st year player , how does it make this years group ?

aj.
08-05-2006, 01:53 PM
The steals of this year's draft? I'd have to say Spencer and Winston at the start of the 3rd round.

nunusguy
08-05-2006, 02:10 PM
[B]Seth Wand was receiving most of the first team reps at LT. I may yet end up eating crow about the guy after all.
Spencer and Babin were having at it again -- no fight, but it looks like they've got an ongoing battle. Nothing to worry about though; I like to see the fire myself.

So with Wand getting most of the reps at LT with the first team, and Babin and Spencer mixing it up some more, does that mean that Babin was with the second unit today ?

Hutch13
08-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a feeling that were going to be one of the best DL. Glad to see we have got some fire on the team.

kikiscafe
08-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Quote:Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Jerek, with the addition of Kevin Walter, do you think it is an upgrade over what his name that signed with the Philly? (seriously, I totally forgot his name)

Thanks for all the info during TC

Runner
08-05-2006, 02:27 PM

Joppru more than made up for the drop with a beautiful diving catch in the endzone near the end of practice.

Scuttlebutt is that Joppru's speed and good hands are catching the attention of the right people. The coaches haven't had to get on him much. They've addressed the occasional technique issue, which I guess is to be expected after a 3 year lay-off. Joppru seems very excited to be on the field.

He was a second round pick; he could be a strong part of the offense for a few years.

tulexan
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Looks like giving up a 7th round pick for Walter was a steal.

rmartin65
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Quote:Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Jerek, with the addition of Kevin Walter, do you think it is an upgrade over what his name that signed with the Philly? (seriously, I totally forgot his name)

Thanks for all the info during TC
Gaffney?

kikiscafe
08-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Gaffney?

yup, that's it.. thanks

jerek
08-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Babin continues to take many of the first team reps and will probably be our "starter," though Peek has been getting many looks. I think they will continue to mix them both in and out throughout the season. Babin IMO is the better run stopper/everydown DE at this point, and I see Peek getting more time in obvious pass rushing situations, but neither is a clear cut "better in X situation" type of player. I.e. Peek against the run isn't that much of a dropoff from Babin, and Babin isn't that much of a dropoff against the pass from Peek.

IMO Walter is an upgrade to Gaffney. Gaffney was the better athlete but I hear he was consistently lazy in practice and was prone to drops. FWIW last year's passing attack was an utter joke, so it's a little hard to judge Gaffney last year against Walter in this year's offense. Walter seems to work harder and have better hands, and probably runs crisper routes.

As far as "steal" of the draft, Spencer is a starting quality LT. Winston has a lot of potential as well. Agree with AJ on that one.

aj.
08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Scuttlebutt is that Joppru's speed and good hands are catching the attention of the right people. The coaches haven't had to get on him much. They've addressed the occasional technique issue, which I guess is to be expected after a 3 year lay-off. Joppru seems very excited to be on the field.

He was a second round pick; he could be a strong part of the offense for a few years.

The way Kubiak uses the TE's in this offense is pretty amazing. I have been watching Denver for years but I just didn't grasp it until now. Using TEs at h-back, fullback, split wide and motion everywhere takes a strong, quick, and mobile type of TE.

Brandon420tx
08-05-2006, 03:26 PM
The way Kubiak uses the TE's in this offense is pretty amazing. I have been watching Denver for years but I just didn't grasp it until now. Using TEs at h-back, fullback, split wide and motion everywhere takes a strong, quick, and mobile type of TE.

and makes opposing defensive go ".... A-Dur? :shocked "

aj.
08-05-2006, 03:31 PM
It looks to me like Winston is taking a little longer adjusting to the speed of things but that's to be expected. It's way early and he'll get there. I think Spencer is exceeding almost everyone's expectations at this point..

Hey Brandon, on your avatar, guess which player got up and trotted off the field after that hit, and which one stayed on the ground through the tv time out? All I can say is that Dunta needs to stop taking on the Kyle Johnson's of the world. I was worried he injured his shoulder on that one. We were sitting in the field level about 30 rows up and could almost feel the concussion from the crack of the impact. To his credit, Dunta was the only player on the Texans defense who looked like he gave a damm in the 4th quarter of that game - which is when I believe that hit took place.

Brandon420tx
08-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes I was worried about him being injured after that too, but he came back later in the game. That hit inspires me, because I'm such a small guy, and no one thinks I can hit, but I love tackling people, thats why Dunta is my favorate football player.

Marcus
08-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I just have to ask this.

Is TJ still practiciing like he knows he's going to get cut?

Stampede
08-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes I was worried about him being injured after that too, but he came back later in the game. That hit inspires me, because I'm such a small guy, and no one thinks I can hit, but I love tackling people, thats why Dunta is my favorate football player.
Good role model Brandon. Maybe im missing something here, but if the roof is going to be closed when the temp. is above 80 then why are the guys practicing in this Heat? Seems to me that the players would have a lot less problems and the team as a whole better workouts if they worked inside the bubble. The whole idea of Home field advantage due to the humidity here in Houston seems to fade a bit considering the roof policy....Just wondering. :shades:

aj.
08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
They aren't practicing outdoors because of home field advantage. They are practicing outdoors because they have 3 1/2 football fields at their disposal outdoors, allowing them to spread out, instead of 1 inside the bubble. Then there's the ability to raise two camera towers 30 feet above the field to get that valuable overhead coaches tape. In other words, more room outside to get more done in 2 hrs.

Stampede
08-05-2006, 07:04 PM
They aren't practicing outdoors because of home field advantage. They are practicing outdoors because they have 3 1/2 football fields at their disposal outdoors, allowing them to spread out, instead of 1 inside the bubble. Then there's the ability to raise two camera towers 30 feet above the field to get that valuable overhead coaches tape. In other words, more room outside to get more done in 2 hrs.
Ah, makes sense, thanks a.j. Sorry for the stupid question.

mexican_texan
08-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Speaking of the Dunta hit, that was the same game where Dunta "got did" by Putzier en route for a touchdown.

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while: how are the rookie QB's doing? The fact that they haven't been mentioned worries me, even if it is just the third-string QB spot.

aj.
08-05-2006, 07:26 PM
There are no stupid questions. Keep asking.

Sage can run the offense -- he's not as mobile as Carr but arguably does a better job of stepping up in the pocket than Carr. Sage's arm isn't quite as good as David's. Porter and Pickett are raw. We'll leave it at that.

MorKnolle
08-06-2006, 01:32 AM
on a side note and I realize it takes a unit to make a good OL, but have y'all seen any offensive lineman be consistant? as far as holding their own?

granted a player is going to be beat a time or two,but any o-lineman standing out?

Pitts has looked very solid so far, Flanagan has looked good for the most part and Wiegert has also looked good, the main question for both of them will be injuries. McKinney has looked pretty good much of the time but has looked bad at times, mainly when going against Mario or Weaver in 1 on 1s. Wand hasn't looked very good although he is getting better, I still think Spencer starts at LT as soon as he's ready. Spencer has been coming along very well, he still makes some rookie mistakes and Winston is still making a decent bit of rookie mistakes but both definitely look like they are going to be solid for a long time (coach and I will elaborate more tomorrow in a Training Camp overview thread, didn't have time to crank it out tonight). Fred Weary has looked pretty good in the 1 on 1s and has looked pretty solid overall, I wouldn't want to rely on him as a starter but he's a solid backup. Hodgdon has been getting worked over in 1 on 1s and really needs to gain some strength, in team drills he's looked ok in pass protection and not especially good in run blocking. Ephraim Salaam has looked pretty solid as a depth OT, I don't think I would want him having to start for us though. Other than that the rest of them don't look very good from what I've seen and will only play as a last resort if they even make the final roster.

BradK10
08-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Guys I REALLY thank yall for these reports. It is holding me over. I'll be at the Sept 24th game vs. the Skins and I can't wait.

aj, your mention of the "House of Pain" almost brought a tear to my eye man

YoungTexanFan
08-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Any updates on TJ or #16 Ross?

Is there any real competition at the FS position? Any possibility Brown and Earl are consolidated and a true FS emerges or am I just wishing for too much?

phan1
08-06-2006, 04:54 AM
I think Spencer has to be considered a concensus steal of this year's draft (if you don't count getting Walter w/ a 7th rounder). He's got to definitely be exceeding expectations right now. I think I said this earlier, but I am pretty sure Spencer was projected as a big, mauling guard rather than a LT coming into the draft, so it's really awsome to see him really competing for that starting LT spot. Once he does get that spot, we should be running people down on the left side of the line, a la Seattle last year. :)

aj.
08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Any updates on TJ or #16 Ross?

Is there any real competition at the FS position? Any possibility Brown and Earl are consolidated and a true FS emerges or am I just wishing for too much?

Coaches are pretty impressed with CC. He's come a long way in a short period of time. He's smart, quick, and has more range than Earl who makes a better SS because of his size. I liken CC's story to Petey's ... a low round pick who came out of nowhere and is making the most of an opportunity. I'm more concerned with the corners than the safeties at the moment.

HJam72
08-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Once he does get that spot, we should be running people down on the left side of the line, a la Seattle last year. :)

We always have run to the left a lot, because of Pitts. Now, we'll be even better at it.

Kaiser Toro
08-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Coaches are pretty impressed with CC. He's come a long way in a short period of time. He's smart, quick, and has more range than Earl who makes a better SS because of his size. I liken CC's story to Petey's ... a low round pick who came out of nowhere and is making the most of an opportunity. I'm more concerned with the corners than the safeties at the moment.

Good to hear. Now if Dunta can just lock down his side of the field....

chuckm
08-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Any updates on TJ

TJ dinged his leg up but it didn't seem to be anything substantial .... he spent most of the day favoring it ...

nunusguy
08-06-2006, 11:27 AM
It really sounds as if the Texans under Kubiak, as with his former team, will use the position in a very nonconventional way where blocking ability is not the most important skill of the TE, though still a valued skill.
And this new job description may still and also be different than the positon
as used by such "all purpose" TEs as the Chiefs Gonzales and the Chargers Gates ?

aj.
08-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Denver like everyone else values a blocking TE, that's why they kept Stephen Alexander over Putz, but there's no question they use multiple TEs in more unconventional ways - which gives plenty of opportunity to guys who may not excel at blocking but who may be smaller, quicker, and have better hands.

cj5776
08-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Denver like everyone else values a blocking TE, that's why they kept Stephen Alexander over Putz, but there's no question they use multiple TEs in more unconventional ways - which gives plenty of opportunity to guys who may not excel at blocking but who may be smaller, quicker, and have better hands.

Denver does not coach the Texans. Denver wanted Alexander and not Putz. Kubes coaches the Texans, and he picked up Putz. I just think that maybe Kubes and Shanahan had difference of opinion on a few things, possibly Putz, and maybe the Texans offense will be different than the Broncos.

aj.
08-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Denver wanted Alexander and not Putz.
Yeah, that's what I said ... because Alexander is a better blocking TE than Putzier. Putzier's bonus was also a factor.

Denver does not coach the Texans.. Kubes coaches the Texans, and he picked up Putz.
...and he picked up Putz because he knows the offense like the back of his hand and is like having another coach on the field.

Kubiak and Calhoun will put their own spin on the playbook but if given the choice between carrying one TE who can block, catch, and get downfield vs. two TE's, one who is only a blocker (like a Bruener) and isn't a viable receiving option (or vice versa), I don't think there's any team in the league that would carry two players instead of one.