PDA

View Full Version : McKinney Sidelined with injury. . . maybe 10 days

Texans Pride
08-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Right guard Steve McKinney is expected to miss at least a week and possibly longer with an injured left ankle, coach Gary Kubiak said.

McKinney suffered the injury Thursday and the ankle was swollen after Friday's afternoon workout. While he's out, fifth-year pro Fred Weary will work with the first-team offense.

"He's an Aggie. He's tough," said coach Gary Kubiak, who along with McKinney is a Texas A&M alum, "but I think it's going to take a little longer than the next few days.

"He could be out seven, eight, nine days."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4096143.html

nunusguy
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I dunno, but isn't this McKinney's routine every year for TC, and he's always
ready when the RS begins in September ?
As far as I'm concerned, the more we keep the starters off the field in TC,
the better. Even if they have to wait to the RS to play themselves into shape, given the rampant outbreak of the injury bug. Besides, its gives us
a real good opportunity to check out the new guys and give them important reps to gain experience in the event they are needed in the RS.

Texans Pride
08-05-2006, 11:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the more we keep the starters off the field in TC,the better. Even if they have to wait to the RS to play themselves into shape, given the rampant outbreak of the injury bug. Besides, its gives us
a real good opportunity to check out the new guys and give them important reps to gain experience in the event they are needed in the RS.

While I understand you wanting to be careful because so many injuries have taken place, we are teaching a new blocking scheme, these guys need all the practice and coaching they can get. I know we employed some of the zone blocking techniques last year, but this is the true system coming from Denver, and there are going to be key fundamentals that should be practiced over and over.

Double Barrel
08-05-2006, 02:00 PM
One article I read recently mentioned Kubiak letting a lot of the veterans take practices off and stay at home at night instead of the team's hotel. I'm not sure how that plays into learning a new blocking scheme, though.

Coach Kubiak's attitude was that it keeps the older players from getting burnt out, especially later in the season when the wear and tear starts catching up to them. And, it allows the younger guys to get more reps in practice.

I hope McKinney gets better soon, but I've got a feeling that he'll be ready on opening day. "He's an Aggie. He's tough," said coach Gary Kubiak

texanskan
08-05-2006, 04:05 PM
One article I read recently mentioned Kubiak letting a lot of the veterans take practices off and stay at home at night instead of the team's hotel. I'm not sure how that plays into learning a new blocking scheme, though.

Coach Kubiak's attitude was that it keeps the older players from getting burnt out, especially later in the season when the wear and tear starts catching up to them. And, it allows the younger guys to get more reps in practice.

I hope McKinney gets better soon, but I've got a feeling that he'll be ready on opening day. "He's an Aggie. He's tough," said coach Gary Kubiak

"he's an aggie. he's tough"

look I like McKinney but this aggy **** makes me want to puke.

Double Barrel
08-05-2006, 04:07 PM
"he's an aggie. he's tough"

look I like McKinney but this aggy **** makes me want to puke.

Hey, hey, let's not get emotional. I have little doubt that Coach Kubiak made that statement with a wink in his eye. ;)