PDA

View Full Version : DB wish list

Sco-tai
08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
It's fairly obvious that we're going to have to dig through other camps "scraps" to find some DB's that can help out while we wait for our guys to recover. And this could possibly involve using some of said "scraps" as starters even. With that in mind, are there any guys out there you think have a good chance of getting cut, but would be a quality pick-up considering the Texan's situation?

The 1 guy that immediately came to mind for me was a DB we drafted right after Glen Earl also from ND....Vontez Duff. I remember really liking him when he was in college and would love to see us get him back. He's currently listed at the tail end of the Giant's depth chart, so it looks like we could get him pretty soon.

Anyone else that looks like a good possible "sleeper"?

real
08-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't think the Texans are going to get any more yound guys...or relatively young...I think they would like to add more DB's in line with the experience of Dexter McCleon...

El Amigo Invisible
08-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I think this is a great thread to start! I do not have answer for you but I wanted to ask a question. Why didn't we draft a CB or DB in this year's draft?I know we needed a tight end/O Line but werenh't there a couple of steals in the later rounds?

whiskeyrbl
08-04-2006, 12:37 PM
what about Ahmed Plummer from SF ?

TexanFan881
08-04-2006, 12:48 PM
what about Ahmed Plummer from SF ?

He retired :francis:

texflex513
08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Texans signed CB Earthwind Moreland anybody ever heard of him? :shoot:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/transactions.php?section=N%20Transactions

Hervoyel
08-04-2006, 12:58 PM
At the rate we're going we will all end up wishing we could get Marcus Coleman to come back and play CB for us before long. I wonder if either he or Aaron Glenn will shake loose in Dallas?

As another poster noted I think the young guys who can play are going to be harder to come by from here on out. We're going to see young guys who can't do much more than play special teams and old guys who've lost a step. In that case give me the old guy who can play since it's a stop-gap measure anyway.

TexanFan881
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Hasn't played in a year so interesting signing :hmmm:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/192400

I personally think we're okay at CB right now with Robinson, Buchanon, McCleon, Sanders, and Garrett

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM

Started for the Patriots the season Ty Law broke his foot.

Hervoyel
08-04-2006, 01:13 PM
You know Berman must have done an "Earth, Wind, and Fire" nickname on him. How could he not have? If he started an entire season while Ty law was out then you know Berman must have been stalking him for a highlight, ANY highlight just to say that.

chuckm
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM

Trivia question:

What is Earthwind Moreland's parents favorite singing group?

dalemurphy
08-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I think this is a great thread to start! I do not have answer for you but I wanted to ask a question. Why didn't we draft a CB or DB in this year's draft?I know we needed a tight end/O Line but werenh't there a couple of steals in the later rounds?

What positions didn't we need this offseason? There were a limited number of picks:

Worst DL in the NFL last year and were transitioning to a 4-3: Mario Williams
We couldn't tackle. Did you watch the Seattle game last year?: DRyans
Worst in the league in sacks allowed again: Spencer and Winston
The franchising all-time best TE to date was Billy Miller: ODaniels
Dominick Davis hasn't played a full season yet: Wali Lundy

exactly where in the draft did the team not draft value and need?

Texans Horror
08-04-2006, 01:57 PM
We've needed a good secondary for a couple of years now. In fact, I remember having a glimmer of hope that Houston would trade out of the #1 spot and take Huff.

The Texans' problems in the secondary weren't as noticeable because the rest of the team looked so bad, but with the teams we play against this year, we could be hurting due to a lack of secondary.

Maybe next season is the year we draft/sign somebody else to the secondary...

mexican_texan
08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
There was no point in drafting a safety or corner since we already have Glenn Earl, CC Brown, Lewis Sanders, Chris McKenzie, etc., guys that we have not seen the best from.

hollywood_texan
08-04-2006, 02:06 PM
We've needed a good secondary for a couple of years now. In fact, I remember having a glimmer of hope that Houston would trade out of the #1 spot and take Huff.

The Texans' problems in the secondary weren't as noticeable because the rest of the team looked so bad, but with the teams we play against this year, we could be hurting due to a lack of secondary.

Maybe next season is the year we draft/sign somebody else to the secondary...

This team had so many holes at then end of last year there was no way they were going to fill of fix everything. IMO, they did a great job of addressing the must needs (the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball) first to start to be competitive.

Having said that, if you can get to the quarterback, your DBs work less or make marginal DBs look good.

The front seven is way improved this year and the DB problem may not be as bad as everyone thinks if the front seven can control the line of scrimmage and get to the quarterback.

Let's not start freaking out just yet and make rash decisions...

Also, this is a 2 to 3 year plan to get this team to the playoffs, and there is no need to mortgage this team for this season. Another draft and free agency and this squad could be very strong next season.

Patience is key here...

infantrycak
08-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Having said that, if you can get to the quarterback, your DBs work less or make marginal DBs look good.

Example A--the Patriots in 2004 playing the guy the Texans just signed and WR Tim Brown as DB's after they had what 4 starters go down.

Meloy
08-04-2006, 02:46 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/transactions.php?section=N%20Transactions Earth, Wind, More, Land is the youngest son of the lead singer of Eart, Wind & Fire that great group from the 1980s. :bananasplit:

Meloy
08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
This team had so many holes at then end of last year there was no way they were going to fill of fix everything. IMO, they did a great job of addressing the must needs (the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball) first to start to be competitive.

The front seven is way improved this year and the DB problem may not be as bad as everyone thinks if the front seven can control the line of scrimmage and get to the quarterback.

Let's not start freaking out just yet and make rash decisions...

Also, this is a 2 to 3 year plan to get this team to the playoffs, and there is no need to mortgage this team for this season. Another draft and free agency and this squad could be very strong next season.

Patience is key here... Exactly. We should fall about the middle in wins. I think another strong draft will kick us into upper 25% the following season. I think Smith/Kubes are building the team to last.

THEFUTURE
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Example A--the Patriots in 2004 playing the guy the Texans just signed and WR Tim Brown as DB's after they had what 4 starters go down.
ummmm.... Tim Brown? you mean Troy... I would hope Tim Brown never had to play DB for the Pats

EF55
08-04-2006, 03:29 PM
With this kind of need it makes one wonder why they didn't take a hard run at Ty law. Of course they did not know they would also have injuries in this area but it was still an area that needed to be addressed.
Being an Eagles fan first and (trying to be) a Texans fan 2nd, I can tell you they should keep an eye on who gets cut from that camp. there are a couple of guys they're just not going to have roster space for,

If matt Ware or dexter wynn get cut these are young guys who have played in big games and are still developing. Dexter Wynn is more of a nickle back situational DB but he also does kick returns OK

I'm pretty certain at least one of those guys will not make the roster,
Strickland is another guy but I think he will edge out both Ware and Wynn for the Roster spot. They may move Ware from CB to safety but they have pretty good competition there already.

I am a homer when it comes to the birds but they really do stockpile and develop DB's very well. They do not develop receivers very well but DB's yes.
Al Harris is a perfect example of this from the past he is afixture in Green bay and he was strictly a backup or situational guy for the eagles.

If I were Kubiak I would look at whoever they place on the practice squad after final cuts at that position and go after him.

Runner
08-04-2006, 04:05 PM
So, which one of our receivers do we turn around to play defense?

joking, joking

Brandon420tx
08-04-2006, 04:10 PM
So, which one of our receivers do we turn around to play defense?

joking, joking

Anderson :shades: or Walters since he's the on that put the stinger in Mckenzies shoulder... I think.:hunter:

RT2
08-04-2006, 04:26 PM
NFL | Weathersby cleared to play
Thu, 18 May 2006 16:08:14 -0700

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports former Cincinnati Bengals CB Dennis Weathersby has been cleared by doctors to play football again. An NFL source that regularly deals with teams said Thursday that Weathersby is reportedly back up to 205 pounds and is interested in returning to the league after appearing in just four games as a rookie in 2003 before a near-fatal car accident. It is doubtful the Bengals would re-sign him at this point.

wags
08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
NFL | Weathersby cleared to play
Thu, 18 May 2006 16:08:14 -0700

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports former Cincinnati Bengals CB Dennis Weathersby has been cleared by doctors to play football again. An NFL source that regularly deals with teams said Thursday that Weathersby is reportedly back up to 205 pounds and is interested in returning to the league after appearing in just four games as a rookie in 2003 before a near-fatal car accident. It is doubtful the Bengals would re-sign him at this point.

Why wouldn't the Bengals re-sign him? This guys been shot before..he has street cred!!

Sco-tai
08-04-2006, 05:23 PM

There were three steals available right off the bat. Ashton Yobouty fell to the 3rd (but I can't complain at this point about our 3rd round picks yet)...and DEFINITELY Alan Zemaitis & Ko Simpson in the 4th. Any of those guys would be HUGE to have on our squad right now.

But hey...what do I know?

:hides:

No worries. I have faith (albeit perhaps blind) in Kub & the gang.

TexanFan881
08-04-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're okay at CB right now. We've still got our starters and it could be a lot worse and we picked up probably the best CB available in Dexter McCleon. We're going to be okay. Sure, another solid CB would be nice, but it's not a neccessity.

WILLIEG
08-05-2006, 05:57 AM
I don't see why the Texans wouldn't give CB Dennis Weathersby a shot and after reading up on him he was a top CB in the nation. He has all the measurables 6 "1" 205 lbs and runs the 40 yd in a sub 4.4, it's not like we've been pulling guys in with his overall athletic ability. There's more to gain than to loose at this point.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't see why the Texans wouldn't give CB Dennis Weathersby a shot and after reading up on him he was a top CB in the nation. He has all the measurables 6 "1" 205 lbs and runs the 40 yd in a sub 4.4, it's not like we've been pulling guys in with his overall athletic ability. There's more to gain than to loose at this point.

Even though all the accounts of Weatherby's shooting (http://lists.rollanet.org/pipermail/rampage/Week-of-Mon-20030421/044412.html) seems to put him as an innocent bystander (two gangs in Duarte, the very rough residential neighborhood he grew up in), he seems to have a poor attitude/discipline problem. He was a 4th rounder that was projected prior to the draft to go as high as the 2nd or even the 1st by some..........the shooting happened in April, just days before the draft. Weatherby's Profile (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/weathersby_dennis)

HJam72
08-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I wanted them to take KO Simpson pretty bad, but I think this line is going to get after QBs and that Buchannon will show major improvement (crossing fingers).

A lot of teams made choices in that draft that didn't seem right to me at the time, including the Texans. Obviously, they know things that I don't and I don't think I'd ever even heard of Demeco Ryans, for instance.