PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rule Additions and Changes

Texans34Life
08-04-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4093924.html

Review time sliced

Those annoying long waits while calls are being reviewed by instant replay should be reduced significantly this season.

According to NFL referee Mark Hittner, who briefed Texans officials and the media on Thursday, the maximum time to review a call will be cut from 90 to 60 seconds this season. However, the range of reviewable plays will be expanded to include the always-popular "down by contact."

Other points of emphasis for the 2006 season:

Along with a prohibition on grabbing the inside or back of the shoulder pads, a horse-collar tackle will be flagged for grabbing the inside collar of a jersey. (15 yards).
A rushing defender is prohibited from hitting the passer who has one or both feet in the ground in the knee area or below, even if the initial contact is above the knee. (15 yards).
It will be illegal to load up on one side for a free kick. At least four kicking team players must be on each side of the kicker when the ball is kicked. (5 yards).

infantrycak
08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
After a review, the refs will also not wait for the end of the commercial break if one is taking place to announce the results of the review according to the guys on 610 am yesterday afternoon.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I also heard that you aren't allowed to blitz Peyton Manning in the postseason cause it "makes him look bad". (may be a rumor)

D-Vizzl
08-04-2006, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Texans34Life]http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4093924.html
[b]• Along with a prohibition on grabbing the inside or back of the shoulder pads, a horse-collar tackle will be flagged for grabbing the inside collar of a jersey. (15 yards).
• A rushing defender is prohibited from hitting the passer who has one or both feet in the ground in the knee area or below, even if the initial contact is above the knee. (15 yards).

With the first rule change above, that will do more good than anyone can ever think, players like Roy Williams and LaVar Arrington will have to adjust heavily.

Second one I think is a little excessive, the QB is already the most guarded player on the field, what is this the Carson Palmer rule?

real
08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I hate the rule about not being able to hit the QB below the knees...How gay is that ?!?!?
They are asking athletes to do to much...

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I hate the rule about not being able to hit the QB below the knees...How gay is that ?!?!?
They are asking athletes to do to much...

AKA the "Carson Palmer Rule"

TwinSisters
08-04-2006, 11:10 AM
The Roy Williams rule
The Carson Palmer rule

and what is the loaded free kick about? Somebody must have gotten hurt doing that too?

TwinSisters
08-04-2006, 11:11 AM
player on the field, what is this the Carson Palmer rule?

:D double dipping at the same time rule

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-04-2006, 11:12 AM
:D double dipping at the same time rule

You double dipped the chip....

You dipped.....then you dipped AGAIN

tulexan
08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't like the Carson Palmer rule. Kimo von Olhaufen didn't intentionally injure Palmer to start with and sometimes that is all you can get. I'm surprised they haven't made a rule against hitting a QB in the torso after McNabb got injured.

Maybe QBs can wear flags and just for them it is flag football.

KKHouston
08-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I also heard that you aren't allowed to blitz Peyton Manning in the postseason cause it "makes him look bad". (may be a rumor)

You may be a Tack fan, but that was funny...:redtowel:

gwallaia
08-04-2006, 12:40 PM
We need the same rule for David Carr, all season long.:ok:

chuckm
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
A rushing defender is prohibited from hitting the passer who has one or both feet in the ground in the knee area or below, even if the initial contact is above the knee. (15 yards).

I'm OK with this as long as allowances are made in the case of "blocked into the QB" similar to roughing the kicker, interfering with the punt returner, ...

J-Man
08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I keep hoping that at some point the pendulum will swing back towards the defense but that's probably not going to happen.

You hear a lot of discussion about the league and fans favoring offense so the rules adjust. However, I do wonder if the league would have done anything if guys like Charlie Frye and Brad Johnson took the knee shots instead of Roethlisberger and Palmer.

Wolf
08-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Previously, if a player was ruled down but the ball popped out, the whistle stopped the play in its tracks. Beginning this season, the whistle won't stop the play if the ball comes loose. The play will be reviewable -- it wasn't reviewable if the issue was merely forward progress of the ball carrier -- and could result in a change of possession.

One likely outcome is that the well-worn cliche of "playing until the whistle blows" may lose some of its validity. That's assuming players can adapt to the new way of thinking.

"You can't leave the ball anymore," Barber said Friday. "Sometimes you get tackled and you just get up, and now it could be interpreted as a fumble. You have to be cognizant of that, maybe literally hand the ball back to the official. It's not something you're going to think about until something like that actually happens."

It also raises safety concerns, particularly if some players have eased up when the whistle blows and there is suddenly a scrum for a loose ball.

"That's going to be a very interesting change for us," coach Tom Coughlin said. "It's a very difficult thing. It was well discussed in all the meetings, too. The fact of the matter is that the players have got to keep playing. If the whistle blows and the ball is out on the ground, you've got to keep playing. We're hoping that it does not turn into some kind of safety issue."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2539849

Offensive linemen rolled their eyes at the league's new categorizations for holding that begin with the phrase, "materially restricting a player at the point of attack."

what the heck is that?

thing I hate is you see when they review it in the lotted am't of time yet then spend another 5 minutes trying to see where the ball is to be spotted