PDA

View Full Version : honestly, Travis Johnson?

pittbull
08-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Man, I hope that all guys play to their potential, and I pray their all successful, but this guy looks like he is going through the motions, just collecting a check. Being reduced to special teams, when you are the 2005 #1 should be an embarrassment, and he still looks like he is just happy to be there. I hope someone is able to light a fire under him and get the juices flowing. He could help and already tough playing D-Line! He looked like a slug at the training camps I have been to:fireball: :bowser:

MightyTExan
08-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Stick a fork in him.

thetexanator
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
hasnt really done much. i never liked the pick :deadhorse

Zac
08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
He sure as heck talks real tough every time he is interviwed on T.V. And the first thing he mentions is how you don't put a 4-3 guy in a 3-4 defense, "GEESH". And he goes on and on about the team not putting his God given abilities to good use, all about how he has had to cover when he is best at rushing the quarterback.

But, those comments are natural of a guy whose destined to fail. EXCUSES!!! Who doesn't have them to hang their losses on? I bet everyone reading this post has enough excuses to put their lives to waste. But, everyone must perservere.

Johnson sure talks big, but he's proving that he is just giving excuses to collect a paycheck with his chin held up high. At least for the next couple of month. Before the excuses become annoying.

Prove me wrong Travis!!!:francis:

TexanFan881
08-03-2006, 10:14 PM
With the talent that we have on the DL right now we don't need him and it was a horrible pick in the first place. Looks like the whole 2005 draft turned out to be a horrible one, except for the 5th and 6th rounds where we got a couple pretty good players that have performed better than our first two picks (exactly why the late rounds matter just as much as the early ones). I wish we could just trade him and get this guy off our team. We don't need him and his work ethic.

Zac
08-03-2006, 10:24 PM
There is one positive that has come from drafting Travis!!

Both Capers and Casserly are GONE :ok:

But Reality speaking! It's a shame that the Texans virtually had to waste the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks last year on Travis and Buchanon. That is pure incompetence. Irrelevant is the fact of wether Travis and/or Buchanon amount to anything in the future. These 2 guys high on potential were the same ones whom the old regim were counting on last year to provide a spark to make a playoff run; the 2-14 season as a result cleaned house. :crying:

F-minus67
08-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm not giving up on this guy until he has had one year in the 4-3. He was a monster for streches in college and and could get into the backfield and reak havoc. So I say give him one more year before he is run out of town.

thetexanator
08-03-2006, 11:55 PM
man this thread is bringing back bad memories. cass and capers. :brickwall

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm not giving up on this guy until he has had one year in the 4-3. He was a monster for streches in college and and could get into the backfield and reak havoc. So I say give him one more year before he is run out of town.

You may...........Kub may not.

Reddevil63
08-04-2006, 12:14 AM
There was a play tonight during the 2-minute drills where he was 1 on 1 with Weary and he just collapsed, layed there for a minute or two and got up and lumbered off of the field. From what I have seen in limited time, he shouldnt even make the team.

YoungTexanFan
08-04-2006, 12:16 AM
With the talent that we have on the DL right now we don't need him and it was a horrible pick in the first place. Looks like the whole 2005 draft turned out to be a horrible one, except for the 5th and 6th rounds where we got a couple pretty good players that have performed better than our first two picks (exactly why the late rounds matter just as much as the early ones). I wish we could just trade him and get this guy off our team. We don't need him and his work ethic.

Mathis was taken in the 4th round.

And drafting Morency after he failed at baseball and was marginal at football and was 26, was a waste of our 3rd round pick.

TexanFan881
08-04-2006, 12:17 AM

And it looks like he's going to be out for awhile this year...

Basically, the 2005 draft did nothing for our team. We got one solid starter in CC Brown but that's all.

phan1
08-04-2006, 12:28 AM

And drafting Morency after he failed at baseball and was marginal at football and was 26, was a waste of our 3rd round pick.

Morency was definitely not a bad 3rd round pick. There were a whole lot of reports saying he was the best RB after the big 3 of Benson, Cadillac, and Brown.

Trapped
08-04-2006, 12:29 AM
at least we got Eric Winston? does he count? Gyea, it's almost safe to say that Travis is going to be a bust. I don't see him turning it around anytime soon.

TexanFan881
08-04-2006, 12:32 AM
And I wanted Mark Clayton so bad...I thought he might be a reach at 16, considering he was supposed to go about 20, but then we get Travis Johnson who was supposed to be around 24 or 25. Mark has been so much more successful then the slob we have in Travis Johnson.

ocd
08-04-2006, 02:33 AM
So we all agree that the last regime was incompetent? Good.

This regime will do many things differently but I don't think they'll cut TJ. He was the 16th pick last year and based on how the reports are coming out of TC as him being lazy, what could we get for him in trade? Very little.

We'll keep him as insurance and he'll get his shot cause somebody's gonna get injured. Hopefully, he'll step up big in games because of the pressure.

beerlover
08-04-2006, 03:45 AM
So we all agree that the last regime was incompetent? Good.

very sloppy handling of a multi-million dollar investment, agreed. now this makes two years in a row the Texans used their first pick on the defensive line. Not trying to bash :mario: (looks like a Monster) but Bush is going to carry a team, not to mention VY. the idea from a drafting standpoint at the top of the board is to take the bpa, have the moxie to utilize his talents and mold your team around that individual.

Travis Johnson could have been selected in the 2nd rd. (oh wait they traded that pick plus their 3rd for PB). if they had to go DL I would have taken Luis Castillo (Chargers) but as someone had already mentioned a solid #2 WR to compliment Andre like Mark Clayton would have been nicer.

back to the ocd - So we all agree that the last regime was incompetent? Good.

aj.
08-04-2006, 05:12 AM
... drafting Morency after he failed at baseball and was marginal at football and was 26, was a waste of our 3rd round pick.

Morency has been looking good recently. He's getting a ton of first team reps in camp. When (not if) DDs knee flares up again they will call his number often. He's our fastest back. Hardly a waste of a pick. For some reason I'm not concerned about RB. Between DD, Morency, Smith, Taylor and Lundy, they will find a combination that's effective.

Travis is Travis. He needs to bring back the Mr. T cut or chug a few of those energy drinks they're giving away in the parking lot or something. The only thing I saw different last night was they brought him in (instead of Payne) when they went to that 5-2 short yardage front. Although you can't make depth chart inferences from that since they might have been resting Payne for some reason. I noticed more flip-flopping of first, second, and sometimes third teams last night. With all the injuries, part of it is to preserve health I'm sure.

Quote of the night. Rick Smith standing on the sidelines, catches an errant pass from either Carr of Rosenfels (can't remember) that went over the head of the receiver and the DB. He caught the pass with one hand - his left hand. Voice from the stands: "Sign yourself up," which brought a huge grin across Smith's face.

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2006, 06:35 AM
very sloppy handling of a multi-million dollar investment, agreed. now this makes two years in a row the Texans used their first pick on the defensive line. Not trying to bash :mario: (looks like a Monster) but Bush is going to carry a team, not to mention VY. the idea from a drafting standpoint at the top of the board is to take the bpa, have the moxie to utilize his talents and mold your team around that individual.

I must have missed the memo that both Bush and VY will be carrying their team and not Mario. Can you please forward us the memo?

I hope we never mold a team around an individual that is way to much investment, which has been my problem with Carr.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2006, 06:59 AM
I must have missed the memo that both Bush and VY will be carrying their team and not Mario. Can you please forward us the memo?

I hope we never mold a team around an individual that is way to much investment, which has been my problem with Carr.

Hopefully our biggest investment, in the new "System"/coaching minds, will prove to overshadow the investment in any one individual player.

thunderkyss
08-04-2006, 07:38 AM

So we take Reggie Bush.... then what?? Have the moxie to use his talent, then if we have a shot at Adrian Peterson, we dump Reggie, and start building around Peterson??

The point is/was....... we don't need a flashy #1 overall runningback. I honestly don't think Kubiak had any intention of playing Reggie Bush, can you imagine him telling Reggie to stop Dancing, and just run??... if we had drafted him, he would have been traded by now.....

And the Vince thing, is just like the scenerio I framed earlier....... we already have the guy they want to build around....... I believe Vince will be more prolific in the NFL than David Carr..... by far..... but you don't dump Drew Bledsoe to draft Donovan McNabb.......

true enough, Reggie is once in a lifetime......... Vince is once in the history of time...... but we've got a bonafide #1 overall QB, and a Coach with a history of making duds into studs at RB..... and we've got a pretty impressive corps of "duds" on our roster......

Travis Johnson could have been selected in the 2nd rd. (oh wait they traded that pick plus their 3rd for PB). if they had to go DL I would have taken Luis Castillo (Chargers) but as someone had already mentioned a solid #2 WR to compliment Andre like Mark Clayton would have been nicer.

back to the ocd -

& if frogs had wings.......

William.carter
08-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Travis is Travis. He needs to bring back the Mr. T cut or chug a few of those energy drinks they're giving away in the parking lot or something. The only thing I saw different last night was they brought him in (instead of Payne) when they went to that 5-2 short yardage front. Although you can't make depth chart inferences from that since they might have been resting Payne for some reason. I noticed more flip-flopping of first, second, and sometimes third teams last night. With all the injuries, part of it is to preserve health I'm sure.

Travis just looks like he wants to be somewhere else. Even during warm-up and stretching lastnight. He was more focusd on the crowd watching them than on what was going on on the field. I hope he comes around but it's going to be an up hill battle to get him where he needs to be. IMHO

William.carter
08-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Case in point from above post.
http://lh6.google.com/william.carter/RNNBAKUmABI/AAAAAAAAAI4/tsIMVwig-c8/P1030446.jpg?imgmax=640

texan279
08-04-2006, 08:09 AM
I honestly do not think we went wrong with drafting TJ where we did, a lot of people had him ranked as the #1 defensive lineman in the country after his senior year in college. From some of what I have read from you guys who have been to the practices, I think some of his problem if not all of it could be his ADD or his medication. Whatever the problem is it's kind of sad really because we now have a defense in place that TJ could thrive in.

Mr. White
08-04-2006, 08:22 AM
I honestly do not think we went wrong with drafting TJ where we did, a lot of people had him ranked as the #1 defensive lineman in the country after his senior year in college. From some of what I have read from you guys who have been to the practices, I think some of his problem if not all of it could be his ADD or his medication. Whatever the problem is it's kind of sad really because we now have a defense in place that TJ could thrive in.

If he's got mental problems that require medication, that's a pretty valid explanation. There's lots of guys who end up busting because they have mental health issues.

I'm still hoping he pans out.

Thanks for the angle, 279.

texan279
08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
If he's got mental problems that require medication, that's a pretty valid explanation. There's lots of guys who end up busting because they have mental health issues.

I'm still hoping he pans out.

Thanks for the angle, 279.

No problem...

Travis finished 2003 with 36 tackles (17 solo), an assisted sack, three stops behind the line of scrimmage and eight pressures. He returned to the football field in 2004 with renewed vigor. He was placed on medication prior to 2004 to help him battle attention deficit disorder and his performance drastically improved.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Johnson,Travis-DT-Florida%20State.htm

titan hater
08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Not trying to bash :mario: (looks like a Monster) but Bush is going to carry a team, not to mention VY.

-

Did we just go back in time to January. Get over it...VY is with the Oilers (making him the enemy) and Bush is in NO. Please, lets not get into this debate again...

Honoring Earl 34
08-04-2006, 08:36 AM
I'll present a different angle , what if TJ can't take his medication because of the heat . Medication for ADD/ADHD is speed . You know what happened to the players on ephedra (sp) while in the heat .

texan279
08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I'll present a different angle , what if TJ can't take his medication because of the heat . Medication for ADD/ADHD is speed . You know what happened to the players on ephedra (sp) while in the heat .

Well he played college ball in Florida where it is just as hot and sometimes hotter than it is here, and if it was because of the heat and medicine I would think we would have seen something like this out of him last year during camp.

Honoring Earl 34
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Maybe the NFL came down on these things after heat related illnesses seemed to balloon . TJ would have only had two camps medicated , if the drug for ADD/ADHD is speed then it does not take a DR. to figure out speed and heat is a lethal combo .

nunusguy
08-04-2006, 08:54 AM
He sure as heck talks real tough every time he is interviwed on T.V. And the first thing he mentions is how you don't put a 4-3 guy in a 3-4 defense, "GEESH".
Genuinely talented NFL caliber DLineman can play in the 3-4 "and" 4-3 even though they'd probbly be more suited for one scheme or the other, just consider the likes of Seth Payne and Anthony Weaver.
And speaking of Weaver, I think this is our best DL right now.
Standing in the back of the EZ last night and watching the DLine personnel go
thru some basic drills, its quickly apparent that Weaver has the strength and quickness to be a solid one-gapper in the 4-3.
BTW, anybody know anything about this Davarick Scandrett, undrafted rookie FA from Middle Tenn State ? Got a look at that guy over by the fan
line where players enter and he was autographing stuff. The guy has an amazing physique and looks like an oversized LB, but is listed on the roster as a DE @ 277 lbs.

Chicagotexan1
08-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I wonder if there is a trade in the future? I wouldn't mind if we picked up another DB or even an another DL.

Frills
08-04-2006, 09:04 AM
In the NFL if you trade someone you're gonna get screwed.

Its a way to turn a 1st round pick into a 5th or 6th. Sometimes a lazy TJ is marginally better than a 6th rounder who gets cut

Big J
08-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Early this summer I was one of those fans who believed we have a legitment shot at 8-8.

But after the injuries during training camp, the new system players have to learn, and the questionable health of DD, what are we to expect from this year realistically. Thats not to mention some of the players held over from the prior scheme and the players that have the potential to be bust picks. (See TJ)

I truly beleive that once our O-line is fortefied and set (we pick up a #1 center in 2 years, maybe also a gaurd for depth), our DB get improved (PB plays to his potential and we add 2 picks next year to DB), pick up a good safety (be it the draft or FA), and add some real depth at linebacker, we will have a strong team. We have some great pieces to the puzzle on D, but I still think there is alot of work left to do to it.

This year I can see 5-6 wins (We are playing the Bills/Jets so thats at least two), next year 8-8, and in year 3 I could see a wild-card berth with 10 wins.

Sorry to be the pessimist for this year. Just my opinion.

Mr. White
08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe the NFL came down on these things after heat related illnesses seemed to balloon . TJ would have only had two camps medicated , if the drug for ADD/ADHD is speed then it does not take a DR. to figure out speed and heat is a lethal combo .

The newer medications that physicians are prescribing aren't really amphetamine-based like Adderal or Ritalin.

Usually they prescribe Strattera and Wellbutrin nowadays for ADD/ADHD.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-04-2006, 09:44 AM
So we take Reggie Bush.... then what?? Have the moxie to use his talent, then if we have a shot at Adrian Peterson, we dump Reggie, and start building around Peterson??

The point is/was....... we don't need a flashy #1 overall runningback. I honestly don't think Kubiak had any intention of playing Reggie Bush, can you imagine him telling Reggie to stop Dancing, and just run??... if we had drafted him, he would have been traded by now.....

And the Vince thing, is just like the scenerio I framed earlier....... we already have the guy they want to build around....... I believe Vince will be more prolific in the NFL than David Carr..... by far..... but you don't dump Drew Bledsoe to draft Donovan McNabb.......

& if frogs had wings.......

If you guys had drafted Reggie Bush you wouldn't have traded him by now.....

And David Carr is not Drew Bledsoe, at all.....

NoBullTexan
08-04-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't mind the investment in Carr. He will more than pay his dividends for us this year. Bush on the other hand is all about Bush, to hell with the team. If you think that will carry a team, then carry on. I rather doubt that carrying the ball 16-17 times a ballgame as the spotlight RB can, or could be considered, carrying the team.

NoBullTexan
08-04-2006, 09:59 AM
And if Frogs had wings they would be a ticky tacky fan like the "tack". Go play in your own backyard troll.

real
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
And if Frogs had wings they would be a ticky tacky fan like the "tack". Go play in your own backyard troll.

lmao...what did he do ? lol

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM

You're cool...

According to your profile you're 69 years old. You're 69 years old and you're on a message board calling people trolls??

lmao...what did he do ? lol

All i said was that Reggie Bush wouldn't be traded (like someone else said he would) if the Texans would have drafted him. And i also said David Carr is not Drew Bledsoe (someone else compared the two)

real
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
All i said was that Reggie Bush wouldn't be traded (like someone else said he would) if the Texans would have drafted him. And i also said David Carr is not Drew Bledsoe (someone else compared the two)

I saw that...I was just wondering what was trollish about that...:mario:

infantrycak
08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Geez did folks wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning. Let's keep the troll acusations down to clear troll activity.

El Amigo Invisible
08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Travis Johnson instead of DJ. I have been saying it since I joined this MB. For the first time,I felt ashamed to be a Texan's fan. I can live with the P Burnt situation, but last year's first pick is unexcusable. I think this year's first pick has alot more upside. The draft announcers were in shock when we picked TJ!They actually said he would be a steal in the second or third round. Why didn't we get a corner or saftey ? I think TJ looks really tiny compared to Payneor Smith. I was hoping Kubes could help him but it looks like he has enough on his plate with David Car.

HomeBred_Texan
08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Off with there Heads....

Good grief, it's only training camp in the Texas Heat. Let's see what the COMPLETED season has done....

It is right around the corner you know....:chicken:

Trapped
08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Even if Travis doesn't get playing time becuase of Weaver, Payne, and Bear. He needs to understand that he is valuable in our goal line sets.

Mario - Bear - Payne - Travis - Weaver

If Travis can get him himself into the 1st round pick that he was supposed to be, we would have some OX's in the front line that will be very hard to score on in goal line situations.

ocd
08-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Dang good post/question.

I was dissappointed with the pick of TJ over what other players available but he's what we got at #16.

I was wondering if he just hates the heat and TC but Honoring Earl addresses the subject far better.

beerlover
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
no I don't want to bring back the Bush/Young debate- been there done that! the point is if Travis had been all that the Texans would not still have such a hole to fill on the DL (drafting Mario). two years in a row c'mon which is why ocd got rack'ed-

So we all agree that the last regime was incompetent?

aj.
08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Travis Johnson instead of DJ. .

Travis Johnson and Winston instead of DJ.

shinerbock_girl
08-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I saw that...I was just wondering what was trollish about that...:mario:

MMMM, saw that too, didn't think it was trolling either...Just a good opinion.

Wolf
08-05-2006, 05:40 PM
KRISTIE RIEKEN - The Associated Press
HOUSTON - Coach Gary Kubiak admonished Travis Johnson in front of the entire team as the person who had the most work to do before the Houston Texans' month-long break before training camp.

Much has been made about that moment, and many wondered how the team's first-round pick from last season would respond. Turns out that publicly confronting the defensive tackle might have been the best tactic Kubiak could have used to get results.

Houston Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson, right, responded to a challenge from Texans head coach Gary Kubiak by returning to camp lighter and in better shape.

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/JOHNSON-TEXANS-CAMP-FOOTBAL_sm2.jpg

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/sports/sports/story/3617250p-4181812c.html

"I've been very impressed with Travis," Kubiak said. "You don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I'll tell you all like I told him, 'Travis, it's time to be a big-time player on this team, and there isn't another year of growing. Now is the time.'"

kubiac trying to build up TJ's confidence?

Ibar_Harry
08-05-2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/JOHNSON-TEXANS-CAMP-FOOTBAL_sm2.jpg

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/sports/sports/story/3617250p-4181812c.html

kubiac trying to build up TJ's confidence?

From day 9 camp notes

"on DT Travis Johnson) I dont know exactly what he did, I think it was a hamstring or an ankle, but Travis came back and hes OK, hes alright. Hes developed a new habit. Hes been out here everyday busting his tail, and he needs to do that for us. I think hes challenged himself. He knows what the team expects of him. I think hes challenged himself. He knows how important it is to him.

yumyum
08-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Pick #13-Texans---->Traded to Saints for #16---->Saints#13-Jamaal Brown-OT
Pick #16-Texans---->Travis Johnson-DT

Think we shoulda kept the pick? I did.:brickwall Remember it like it was yesterday.

Wolf
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Pick #13-Texans---->Traded to Saints for #16---->Saints#13-Jamaal Brown-OT
Pick #16-Texans---->Travis Johnson-DT

Think we shoulda kept the pick? I did.:brickwall Remember it like it was yesterday.

got to remember we got Eric Winston out of the deal too ;)

if last year Richard Smith was running the show, I wonder if we would have went the DJ route. All we heard was DJ didn't fit into the 3-4 (but memory might be bad..we might have gotten greenwood already so it may be a moote point)