PDA

View Full Version : 8/3 Injury report

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Our already thin CB choices are getting thinner:

610 just reported that Chris McKenzie is out for the season with a shoulder socket fracture.

PBuc is being evaluated for hammy.

Kub looking for a vet CB

DD's knee is still swelling and is being held out until at least Monday.

TheRealJoker
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
NOT MCKENZIE!!!

:brickwall :crutch:

infantrycak
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
DD's knee is still swelling and is being held out until at least Monday.

With the 2nd opinion and MRI he received coming back with him suffering a bone bruise.

CnD--what is the treatment and prognosis for a bone bruise?

hollywood_texan
08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
They are going to have to get serious pressure on the QB to help out the defensive backfield. Otherwise, the defense could be giving up some serious points.

nunusguy
08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
At the rate were going, half the team will be out with injuries after the first
pre season game !

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
With the 2nd opinion and MRI he received coming back with him suffering a bone bruise.

CnD--what is the treatment and prognosis for a bone bruise?

The term knee bone bruise is not a proper name, since the knee tissue isn't bone. The effected area is actually the far tip of the upper leg bone ( femur) where it connects to the knee. They are some of the most painful bruises you can get, they can sometimes take months to heal. What happens in a bone bruise is a compressive force pushes the surfaces of the knee joint onto themselves. When this happens the outer cover layer of the bone, which is fibrous tissue, breaks down. This leads to leaking of fluid.Pain and tenderness occurs just like a typical bruise, but a bone bruise will typically locally not swell. It'll be difficult to walk, and there may be discoloration in the area of the knee bone bruise. Pain meds, ice and rest is how you approach these. These can respond from 1 week to weeks to months..... time is very unpredictable but very necessary. Meanwhile, that knee joint needs to avoid immobilization.

Knee fluid buildup for a few weeks is not unusual, but when it lasts as long as DD has shown, you'd be wise to look at other causes. One very worrisome consequence of a severe bone bruise injury is cartilage dies from the crushing trauma and separates from the bone exposing bone...........chronic arthritis.....etc. This is what explains why significant number of ACL injuries do not seem to respond to surgical repair. My greatest worry is that between injury and his "clean out" scope with the reports by the team that he is "thin on cartilage," that DD may be exhibiting the signs and symptoms of arthritis associate with exposed bone surface.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
The term knee bone bruise is not a proper name, since the knee tissue isn't bone. The effected area is actually the far tip of the upper leg bone ( femur) where it connects to the knee. They are some of the most painful bruises you can get, they can sometimes take months to heal. What happens in a bone bruise is a compressive force pushes the surfaces of the knee joint onto themselves. When this happens the outer cover layer of the bone, which is fibrous tissue, breaks down. This leads to leaking of fluid.Pain and tenderness occurs just like a typical bruise, but a bone bruise will typically locally not swell. It'll be difficult to walk, and there may be discoloration in the area of the knee bone bruise. Pain meds, ice and rest is how you approach these. These can respond from 1 week to weeks to months..... time is very unpredictable but very necessary. Meanwhile, that knee joint needs to avoid immobilization.

Knee fluid buildup for a few weeks is not unusual, but when it lasts as long as DD has shown, you'd be wise to look at other causes. One very worrisome consequence of a severe bone bruise injury is cartilage dies from the crushing trauma and separates from the bone exposing bone...........chronic arthritis.....etc. This is what explains why significant number of ACL injuries do not seem to respond to surgical repair. My greatest worry is that between injury and his "clean out" scope with the reports by the team that he is "thin on cartilage," that DD may be exhibiting the signs and symptoms of arthritis associate with exposed bone surface.

With your obvious knowledge of medicine. What's your take on DD for 06? Will he be able to play? Or should he sit back and heal through most of the season?

Porky
08-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Just wonderful. This is becoming a very bad camp for injuries in a hurry. It's not just the number which seems high for a week in and no games, but what is that now - 3 out for the season? Thank God, it's none of the real big guns, but it is guys we were counting on to be contributors. :crutch:

Rightnow
08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
I was thinking 8-8 as a possible goal for the team this year. With our banged up secondary and DD possibly missing a lot of time I'm putting it at 5-11. If we only have Dunta as a good corner it is going to hurt.

12Gage
08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Do you see any possible cb's attainable via trade?

HOU-TEX
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Do you see any possible cb's attainable via trade?

I think Chris Dishman still lives here in Pearland. Maybe I can see if he wouldn't mind strapping it back on for us. He's got a few gray hairs, but still looks to be in shape.:francis:

Seriously though, don't hit the panic button yet. There's still time to bring someone in or get the existing players ready to go.:whip:

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2006, 03:36 PM
With your obvious knowledge of medicine. What's your take on DD for 06? Will he be able to play? Or should he sit back and heal through most of the season?

Again, it's impossible to make that call without having access to DD physically and reviewing all test detailed reports. But, with that said, I remain very guarded about his future "short" term (this season), and long term if the underlying problem develops or has developed into chronic arthritis. Remember, with even initial attempts (5-6 months post scope "clean out") to return to "normal activity" without contact to explain a "new" injury (bone bruise), regular draining of his knee was obviously still a necessity...........definitely a source of concern.

TexanFan881
08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry McKenzie! I change my avatar for the first time in a few months from McKenzie to Taylor and he gets hurt! :brickwall

I was really looking forward to seeing him play this year too. When he got hurt I wasn't thinking it would be out for the season serious, and disappointingly it was. Thanks for the update :thumbup

J-Man
08-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Just a semi-related thought...

The more DBs I see getting nicked up leads me to believe that we will be leaning a bit more on zone based coverages. Could lend some additional credence to the talk that we may be working a significant amount of Cover 2 in to the schemes.

Hulk75
08-03-2006, 04:57 PM
What Veteran CB are out there right now?

Any CBs NOT happy with there teams right now thats going around the news wire?

Cause Holy Moses.............We are really going to need another CB.

Insideop
08-03-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry McKenzie! I change my avatar for the first time in a few months from McKenzie to Taylor and he gets hurt! :brickwall

What ever you do Fan881, DON'T CHANGE YOUR AVATAR AGAIN! I sure don't want to see Taylor go down for the season!:crutch: :crying:

lol:

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Kubiak on CB (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2710&section=N%20Latest%20News)
On the other side of the ball, the team is alarmingly thin at cornerback, but newly acquired veteran Dexter McCleon has given Kubiak some assurance that things will be OK.

I dont know if you guys noticed at practice today how many plays (Dexter) McCleon made, Kubiak said. Hes a veteran player and hes going to help this team. If we dont find someone, we dont have a problem. (Kevin) Garrett started making some plays today. Hes getting comfortable. Were out there looking (for help). Corners dont just walk around. Thats tough, but I think if we keep battling, if (general manager) Rick Smith keeps battling, and we as coaches just keep looking around, I think were going to find some guys that are going to help us.

TexanFan881
08-03-2006, 05:14 PM
We've still got DRob and a greatly improved Buchanon, signed Dexter McCleon who should be a decent nickel along with Lewis Sanders. I don't think were as in as bad of a situation as you guys think we are. We lost our #3 and #5 CBs, and another CB would help, but it's not like we're that bad there. Now if one of our two starters get hurt we're screwed, but as of now I think we can do decent without getting anyone else.

And don't worry, I'm not changing my avatar :)

Zac
08-03-2006, 10:15 PM
It seems everyday I turn on the T.V. another Texan goes out for the season with an injury. :crutch:

What is the deal with this? Are the practices too tough? Or is it that the guys going out with the injuries are the ones fighting for spot and giving it their all :cowboy1:

Either way, the injuries do hurt, even when they are happening to some of the names that people don't really recognize. That signifies added depth. And from the experiences of the past 4 years, we know that the lack of depth ruined the Capers/Casserly regime.

TexanFan881
08-03-2006, 10:20 PM
It's mostly defensive players too. I don't think anyone on offense has gotten hurt badly yet this camp. I think it's just all the defense trying as hard as they possibly can to stop AJ :redtowel:

Frills
08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
DD's knee = Bagwell's shoulder

titan hater
08-04-2006, 10:20 AM
DD's knee = Bagwell's shoulder

I hope not!!! We really do need DD...