PDA

View Full Version : Info on Camp from Fans perspective?

wrestler4life
08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Out of towner here and wondering why info on camp has decreased to a halt. It would really be helpful if someone would post about practices.
Also, why are there no updated pictures on Bullpen?

jerek
08-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I work a 9 to 5 and have been unable to get away. I hope to go tonight. Will be there Saturday morning for sure. I know Coach C is supposed to be going tonight and tomorrow morning.

Just what I am hearing as of today ... Chris Taylor is getting a lot of first team reps ... the O-line is showing a lot of big strides ... Domanick Davis looks questionable for the year, there is a lot of concern about his knee at this point ...

YoungTexanFan
08-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I work a 9 to 5 and have been unable to get away. I hope to go tonight. Will be there Saturday morning for sure. I know Coach C is supposed to be going tonight and tomorrow morning.

Just what I am hearing as of today ... Chris Taylor is getting a lot of first team reps ... the O-line is showing a lot of big strides ... Domanick Davis looks questionable for the year, there is a lot of concern about his knee at this point ...

Man, I really wish I had paid more attention to Taylor when I went. This is not good news about DD.

wrestler4life
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Awesome! thanks for the info. I am dying out here!
It is freaking rediculous. I hate the cowboys, but their camp is 5 minutes away.
I love the Texans, and I will probably never get to a camp.

jerek
08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Taylor was Coach C's darkhorse from the jump and I became a believer the minute I saw him. He is a strong, fast back who makes very decisive cuts (an attribute that Kubiak is extremely high on and has been working to develop in Morency.) He is still making rookie mistakes (occasional fumble/dropped pass) but appears to be improving daily and is working his way into the starting lineup. Can't wait to see him in action in preseason. The Chron reported on Morency's improvement and I see Morency getting early action as well.

At this point, as much as it pains me to say it, I think we are facing the very real possibility that Domanick Davis not play this year. To my knowledge, no decision has been made, but he has sat out of many practices and my understanding is he is still dealing with swelling/pain. I know from personal experience the difference that cartilage breakdown can make. He's a great back and losing him is a blow, but I am looking for Morency and Taylor to get most of the reps, with Smith coming in to spell occasionally or on short yardage situations. Preseason will provide for an amazing depth chart battle, at any rate.

wrestler4life
08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
At this point, as much as it pains me to say it, I think we are facing the very real possibility that Domanick Davis not play this year.
I agree. It does not look too promising.

jerek
08-03-2006, 01:27 PM
I might literally have to buy a Chris Taylor jersey this year. Who saw that one coming?

My Mario Williams battle red is on order.

wrestler4life
08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Quick! Get his rookie card!

titan hater
08-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Taylor was Coach C's darkhorse from the jump and I became a believer the minute I saw him. He is a strong, fast back who makes very decisive cuts (an attribute that Kubiak is extremely high on and has been working to develop in Morency.) He is still making rookie mistakes (occasional fumble/dropped pass) but appears to be improving daily and is working his way into the starting lineup. Can't wait to see him in action in preseason. The Chron reported on Morency's improvement and I see Morency getting early action as well.

At this point, as much as it pains me to say it, I think we are facing the very real possibility that Domanick Davis not play this year. To my knowledge, no decision has been made, but he has sat out of many practices and my understanding is he is still dealing with swelling/pain. I know from personal experience the difference that cartilage breakdown can make. He's a great back and losing him is a blow, but I am looking for Morency and Taylor to get most of the reps, with Smith coming in to spell occasionally or on short yardage situations. Preseason will provide for an amazing depth chart battle, at any rate.

Pardon me for saying this...His problem is seems very reminiscent of former Oiler QB Cody Carlson. If my memory does not fail me Carlson's cartlidge problems was what killed his career. I hope this is not the case with DD and the Texans...

jerek
08-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Pardon me for saying this...His problem is seems very reminiscent of former Oiler QB Cody Carlson. If my memory does not fail me Carlson's cartlidge problems was what killed his career. I hope this is not the case with DD and the Texans...

I have the same thing (cartilage tear in both knees, Level II in one and Level IV in another.) Acquired in tae kwon do and basketball; both of them freak accidents and due more or less to basic wear and tear. I'm actually getting them both scoped later this month, and I can't imagine having to go back to being an NFL player after it. The procedure ought to restore me sufficiently to allow me to be an athlete again, allow me participation in various martial arts and a weekly game of basketball (after nine months or so of muscle rehab, to get back what I've lost due to being inert the last three years) but bottom line, the procedure is only good for so much, regardless of who's doing it.

BullPenPhotos
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry...I just started at my new job, so I can't make it to as many of the practices. but, I am going to be going down there tonight so there should be some new pics posted tonight or tomorrow at the latest...

hobie
08-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Notes: RB Domanick Davis returned to camp Wednesday after spending Tuesday in Charlotte to get a second opinion on his injured knee. He said an MRI did not show any damage and that the doctor told him he had a bone bruise. Kubiak said Davis could return to practice Thursday and that the results of his MRI were encouraging. "If anything else there's a peace of mind about what's going on with his knee," Kubiak said. "I think there's plenty of football left in him. We've just got to be smart in how we get that done. We're not going to panic on that

jerek
08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Notes: RB Domanick Davis returned to camp Wednesday after spending Tuesday in Charlotte to get a second opinion on his injured knee. He said an MRI did not show any damage and that the doctor told him he had a bone bruise. Kubiak said Davis could return to practice Thursday and that the results of his MRI were encouraging. "If anything else there's a peace of mind about what's going on with his knee," Kubiak said. "I think there's plenty of football left in him. We've just got to be smart in how we get that done. We're not going to panic on that

Not sure what a "bone bruise" entails, but that'd be awesome if he's still good to go.

hobie
08-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Bring him along slowly, allow the others to get alot of work in and use DD as a 3rd down back, take some wear/tear of that knee...

wrestler4life
08-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry...I just started at my new job, so I can't make it to as many of the practices. but, I am going to be going down there tonight so there should be some new pics posted tonight or tomorrow at the latest...
Oh- nothing to be sorry about. I was just asking. I appreciate anything that you can show me, really. It is much appreciated!!!

Honoring Earl 34
08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
How many yards does a team need to rush for to open the passing game up ? It may be how many yards per carry do you need to average to soften up the defense ?

TD
08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
How many yards does a team need to rush for to open the passing game up ? It may be how many yards per carry do you need to average to soften up the defense ?

I don't think there is a "magic number". You just have to be successful enough at one (run or pass) to get the defense to overcompensate to open up the other.

hobie
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Well I would say in my opinion that it's not the number of yards per game, since a running game will open up a passing game which in return opens up the running game, but I would like to say a 4-5 yds. per carry average would just about do it. I think a quick strike to AJ or EM early in any game would have to keep the DB's back and then a few dump passes to the TE to keep the LB's honest, then the LB's would have to hold thier ground and that would allow whomever is our ball carrier to get a chance to get the running game going....
Finally the Texans have options to put the ball all over the field, deep, intermediate, short, run, swing out of the backfield....if the OL can play average this season, the Texans offense could be pretty good...

Honoring Earl 34
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I was trying to think of running the ball successfully without a star. The best running by commitee team last year was the Steelers in my opinion . They did OK .

nunusguy
08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Out of towner here and wondering why info on camp has decreased to a halt. It would really be helpful if someone would post about practices.
Fans were admitted to practices over the last weekend but haven't been
allowed in this week, until this evening.
Practice for fans with tickets are tonight, tomorrow morning, and Saturday morning so you should get a resumption of info from fans who are attending
practice again.

Tyr
08-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Not sure what a "bone bruise" entails, but that'd be awesome if he's still good to go.

Take it FWIW, could just be a way of down playing the severity. However, as stated in another thread as well, 610 this morning did report that the current knee issue is due to a bruise unrelated to the other issue(s). This was supposedly stated by DD to the 610 staff.

What this tells me though is that even if different, he is still very injury prone and that in itself does not sit well. Even if ready to go, I find it hard to believe DD can last 16 games.

HJam72
08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
...I find it hard to believe DD can last 16 games.

Well, I guess that all depends on how many carries per game he gets, including receptions. He's been getting way too many in the past.