PDA

View Full Version : Mario misses practice

Lucky
08-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Toe woes for Mario (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2537342) (ESPN)

No. 1 draft pick Mario Williams missed Houston Texans practice Wednesday morning after a sleepless night dealing with an infection in one of his toes.

Coach Gary Kubiak said the defensive end was OK, but that his toe was "throbbing and really bad" during the night and that he called a team athletic trainer for help.

"I think he could have practiced this morning; I just didn't like the night he had," Kubiak said. "We'll get him some rest today and expect him to be back tomorrow."

It's the second time Williams has had issues with his toes since being drafted. Williams had the toenails on both of his big toes removed in June after struggling with infections after having them stomped on.

The current problem is not related to the earlier procedure and is on another toe.

yumyum
08-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I hope this doesnt turn into a big problem during the season. I hate to have to see Mario miss games because of "toe" problems. :crutch:

Runner
08-02-2006, 04:03 PM
We need a shoe guy. :)

CloakNNNdagger
Toe woes for Mario (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2537342) (ESPN)

Sounds like he might have footwear issues that need to be addressed.

Vinny
I hope he didn't get my staph infection....I no longer underestimate the power of the microscopic beast.

19-10
08-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I hope this doesnt turn into a big problem during the season. I hate to have to see Mario miss games because of "toe" problems. :crutch:

No doubt - another Yao Ming??? Who among us has bad toes???????
Bad enough to lose sleep over? Good grief Charlie Brown :crying: .

HOU-TEX
08-02-2006, 04:06 PM
We need a shoe guy. :)

He needs some steel toed cleats! Man, what's up with him and his toes? Clean the darn things! Geesh. lol. Seriously though, I hope this isn't a chronic thing with him. :crying:

Kaiser Toro
08-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I hope he didn't get my staph infection....I no longer underestimate the power of the microscopic beast.

You ain't lying. I was just at the hospital to see my boss who is battling a staph infection. We should re label that term and call it something that can kill you quickly if you do not take care of it right away. Very scary stuff.

Mr. White
08-02-2006, 04:42 PM

I was fighting one about a year ago. It seems like it came back about every 3 months.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's what he's got.

19-10
08-02-2006, 04:55 PM
You've already posted your comment three times. Are you not seeing this post?

[Lucky

Thanks for the heads up. I was just hitting refresh to read other posts. Wasn't aware that was the result.

Sorry everyone.

GuerillaBlack
08-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Does this mean a bad season for Mario?

tulexan
08-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Note to Texans. Do not step on Mario's toes. They are worth $54 million.

Kaiser Toro
08-02-2006, 05:00 PM
As Navin R. Johnson's adopted father said to him in The Jerk, "see a doctor and get rid of it."

Vinny
08-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Does this mean a bad season for Mario?no, but it means he has some funky toes.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2006, 05:11 PM
no, but it means he has some funky toes.

I'm sure they smell quite nice too.:thud:

PapaL
08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I blame this squarely on T-Mac. Mario was doing good in TC until T-Mac showed up yesterday.

:sarcasm: Well not so much...

threetoedpete
08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
He needs some steel toed cleats! Man, what's up with him and his toes? Clean the darn things! Geesh. lol. Seriously though, I hope this isn't a chronic thing with him. :crying:
Ya beat me to it, N1. Deffinalty need the equiment man to step up. Well I'm reading this as they needed to give the tackles a blow befor he killed them. Gotta be some sort of fiber glass flap encased in leather they can put ontop of his cleats ? Need to get this taken care of no boubt.

Nawzer
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Definitely something to keep an eye on. Many athletes have succumbed to toe problems and hopefully this is not going to become a problem for Mario Williams.

Porky
08-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Shoot, we are paying him about 5 million a toe. Let's hope this isn't an issue all season. Or some people might be reminding them who they could have drafted instead. :stirpot:

Hulk75
08-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Shoot, we are paying him about 5 million a toe. Let's hope this isn't an issue all season. Or some people might be reminding them who they could have drafted instead. :stirpot:
The money thing I love it.:)

I have had both of my Big Toes worked on for in grown toe nails and is the worst pain I have felt.

Personally I hope we can hold him out as long as he wants, CAN NOT BEAT FRESH LEGS ON A ROOKIE, DDs Rookie year anyone?

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Hope he is ok, we need this big guy healthy, so that way he can get to know Peyton Manning this year...........:fireball:

kcwilson
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Time to hire Ronnie Lott as a trainer/defensive coach....

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2006, 07:37 PM
In the famous words of Yao Ming:

http://www.speakingsports.com/wp-content/yao_ming.jpg

OWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GuerillaBlack
08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I seriously hope this isn't bad. Damn, who stepped on his toe in the first place? They outta get they ass beat.

GP
08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Time to hire Ronnie Lott as a trainer/defensive coach....

Yeah, Mario cut off his nails...but I guess it'd be too much for us to ask him to cut off his toes, eh?

"Mario, if you reallllllly want to play and be a man...you'll cut off your own toes." (sarcasm)

By the way, someone told me that if you lost a big toe...you'd actually have to go to a physical therapist to re-learn how to walk. The big toe is perhaps the most important toe of them all. Just a Cliff Clavin (from the show "Cheers") moment I thought I'd share...

Cheroqui
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm nervous now. What did we put our money into? I'm curious what Reggie and his agent wanted in the beginning from us to where Mario got $54 Vince $58 then Reggie, being out of the #1 spot, had to chase the $54- $58 from passing on it the first time?
Then you heard. "We feel we have a great back in DDavis but he's hurt every year and has knee problems... again. Mathis out, Rainer out, who else is hurt? Geez. I still like how our Defense is going to look up front though.

nunusguy
08-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds like he might have footwear issues that need to be addressed.
Baby needs a new pair of shoes ? That's it ?
NP then, because Cloak you're the medical expert in these parts and if your
not worried, then I'm not either.

HJam72
08-03-2006, 01:29 AM
This kind of thing didn't stop him from playing in college, so surely it can be dealt with somehow. I guess that Houston humidity is playing into it though.

Marshall'sLaw
08-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Seems like everyone on the team is has something wrong from the knee down.

Lucky
08-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Here's an interesting article from the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/02/AR2006080201938.html) on what steps the Skins are taking to fight MRSA.

Over the past two years, the Redskins have had five cases of MRSA, team physician Tony Casolaro said last year.

"We're concerned about it," said Bubba Tyer, the Redskins' director of sports medicine. "We don't want to lose any player. We don't want anything to affect their career and we want to do all we can do. It's a terrible infection that can cripple your team."

In addition to spending $17,000 on a new Jacuzzi system that is equipped with an ultraviolet light filtering system designed to kill germs, the Redskins hired SportsCoatings Inc. to treat the training room, locker rooms and weight rooms with an anti-microbial coating the company claims will help kill various strains of the bacteria. Tyer did not divulge the amount the Redskins spent, but SportsCoatings spokeswoman Wendy Orthman said the treatment cost roughly $1.50 per square foot.

BTW, Mario missed this morning's (8/3) practice session.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Mario and Moulds (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2710&section=N%20Latest%20News)Better on grass: During the morning practice, the absence of Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds and Mario Williams on the field was noticeable.

“I want those guys (Johnson and Moulds) to work once a day and I like them working on grass if at all,” Kubiak said. “I want to give them a break, during two-a-days I’d rather it be when we’re in here on the turf.”

Williams was out Wednesday with a toe infection, but it wasn’t on the same toe that he dealt with earlier this past offseason.

“Mario could have gone this morning,” Kubiak said. “I just said, ‘Hey, we’re on the turf and I want him on the grass this evening.’ That was strictly on me.”