PDA

View Full Version : Babin and Spencer Fight

TexansMVP
08-02-2006, 02:32 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4088266.html
By DALE ROBERTSON
Houston Chronicle

I found this excerpt in the last section of the article, and thought you guys would find it interesting. FYI, the article was about Putzier and was a pretty good read.

Heat of battle

Rookie offensive tackle Charles Spencer and veteran defensive end Jason Babin got into a fight, but they weren't involved in a drill. They were standing to the side, and Spencer slapped Babin, and they got after it, but it was quickly broken up.

"It was hot, and we'd been going at it (in drills), and it's just one of those things that happens," Babin said. "It only lasted about 10 seconds. We were too tired to even cuss."

They were even more tired when they went at it briefly a second time.

texan279
08-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Babin is one brave man because Spencer is a whole lotta beef! Seriously I am curious as to what happened since they were not involved in any drills at the time.

AggieTexanFan
08-02-2006, 03:13 AM
It's good to see some fire in Babin, hopefully it will transfer onto his field production.

texan279
08-02-2006, 03:16 AM
It's good to see some fire in Babin, hopefully it will transfer onto his field production.

I agree, I guess it is also good to see fire from our rookie tackle as well, and it is a REALLY good thing that Spencer didn't squash Babin like a bug!

nunusguy
08-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Babin is one brave man because Spencer is a whole lotta beef! Seriously I am curious as to what happened since they were not involved in any drills at the time.
I suspect Babin got the best of Spencer in a just concluded one-on-one drill
and Spencer had some lingering sore feelings about the incident.

TEXANRED
08-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Did I miss something or have I not been paying attention?

When did Dale Robertson start writting again? Is Justice still around? Don't tell me we have both those guys writting equaly as horable as the other, writting for the same paper.

I also read a Fran Blinberry the other day. I thought he retired.

Or I just haven't been paying attention.

nunusguy
08-02-2006, 08:59 AM
When did Dale Robertson start writting again? Is Justice still around? Don't tell me we have both those guys writting equaly as horable as the other, writting for the same paper.
Gotta hand it to the Chronicle, they are beefing up their Texans coverage
this year, so far.
Robertson starting writing Texans stuff just the last few days as TC commenced.
And Blinberry did seem to have gone thru a hiatus from Journalism, but has starting wrinting Texans stuff himself as TC cranked up.

TEXANRED
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Gotta hand it to the Chronicle, they are beefing up their Texans coverage
this year, so far.
Robertson starting writing Texans stuff just the last few days as TC commenced.
And Blinberry did seem to have gone thru a hiatus from Journalism, but has starting writing Texans stuff himself as TC cranked up.
So you are saying I should blame TC for Robertson and Blineberry?

I am sure that would make her happy to know she is responsible for the blond afro making his triumphant return back to Houston.:) :tease:

TwinSisters
08-02-2006, 09:08 AM
O man there was a lotta good stuff in that article.

Offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun, another Denver import and Putzier fan, echoed his boss' sentiments.

"It helps your execution when you've got a player who's familiar with your system," Calhoun said. "He's always helping the other guys. Just because he knows how to line up we can operate out of a few more formations."

and Kubiak bringing out the BUM!!!!

Bum talks to Texans

Former Oilers coach Bum Phillips visited the afternoon practice. Coach Gary Kubiak, who served as one of Phillips' ball boys for two years in San Angelo, asked Phillips to address the team before practice.

When Phillips, 81, entered the practice bubble, he couldn't figure out if it was proper to keep his cowboy hat on or take it off. So he took it off.

"It was great to see Bum here," Kubiak said. "It brought back a lot of memories.

"When I asked him to talk to the players, he got real excited. He told them some stories about what it takes to be a winner. It was good to see him."

Stories about how to be a winner... I'll be. Hope somebody had their transitors wired to the right frequency.

ArlingtonTexan
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
On the writing at the Chronicle, one issue is that Manfull is pretty close to having a child and has probably gone on leave. Robertson is probably just filling in until she returns.

nunusguy
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I am sure that would make her happy to know she is responsible for the blond afro making his triumphant return back to Houston.:) :tease:
And Robertson would be the blond afro ?
BTW, what ever happened to afros ? Real afros.
That was one of the hallmarks of the proclamation about "black is beautiful".
I wish they'd come back.
You don't like Roberston & Blineberry ? I want copious amounts of Texans
coverage, no matter where I get it.
And Justice is still very active, but MLB seems to be his specialty.

TEXANRED
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
And Robertson would be the blond afro ?
BTW, what ever happened to afros ? Real afros.
That was one of the hallmarks of the proclamation about "black is beautiful".
I wish they'd come back.
You don't like Roberston & Blineberry ? I want copious amounts of Texans
coverage, no matter where I get it.
And Justice is still very active, but MLB seems to be his specialty.
Not trying to be to negative but yes, I dislike Robertson. Richard Justice had spawned from this mans DNA. Although Justice has never been beat up by a player unlike Robertson.

I also blame the Oilers leaving due to the lack of support from that eras sports writing. All they did back then was blast the Oilers and harp on how we didn't need a new stadium.(now we have 3) The public formed there opinions based on what they had read and no support was ever generated for the team. They didn't even bother to report on the save the Oilers rally.

The pen truly is mightier than the sword.

Yes, Roberston back in the day has this huge head of curly blond hair. If you get a chance look up his old pics, they are kinda funny.

TexansSeminole
08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Lol nice, your supposed to get mad on the football field. My coach used to tell us that we weren't practicing hard enough if we didn't get into fights.

Runner
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
My coach used to tell us that we weren't practicing hard enough if we didn't get into fights.

I don't think Kubiak shares that philosophy. I hope those two enjoyed the mile they had to run after practice in the sweltering heat.

Frills
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Normally fights in camp aren't news, but when Babin hits someone for the first time in a years I guess some press is to be expected

TexansSeminole
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't think Kubiak shares that philosophy. I hope those two enjoyed the mile they had to run after practice in the sweltering heat.

Secretely, he enjoyed it. There is nothing wrong with two men fighting, as long as its not a bitter fight.

Runner
08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Secretely, he enjoyed it. There is nothing wrong with two men fighting, as long as its not a bitter fight.

I think this is true of many coaches (and fans) and it may well be true of Kubiak.

I bet the players didn't secretly enjoy their run though. :ouch:

kingh99
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Spencer's going to the steal of the draft. Just seeing that guy at the open house and I thought, he's going to mature into a MAN. Peek said he was the secret about to get out. Said he blocks heavy. Heavy as in you can't move him. Said he reminded him of Walter Jones.

Kaiser Toro
08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I am sure that Spencer's OL rookie counterpart, AKA Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer will come to his defense in the Texan's kangaroo court

"Gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see Spencer's image during the film session, I wonder, is Babin stealing his soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the gridiron to the locker room, where I get TJ to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing: in the 20 years from March 22, 1986, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25, 2006, when he issued an interoffice memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane."

wrestler4life
08-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Lmao

Sportsfan
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I saw a clip of it on Fox 26 news last night.
Nothing much happened, they were standing there and Spencer appeared to be the one mouthing off, Babin said something in return, then Spencer went after Babin and started throwing some blows. Babin had his helmet off but looks like nothing was landed. Babin didn't have time to retaliate since it was broken up. But like he said they looked dead-tired.

chuckm
08-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I heard some scuttlebutt about Babin popping Spencer on the arse with his towel later in the day .... I guess that about evens it up ...

ocd
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Good LORD you people crack me up!

A fight in TC is more like a wrestling match with football pads on. You guys make it out like two Muay Thai fighters went at it for a while.

Until they throw some elbows just think Sumo wrestlers...some pushing, some slapping, some throwing...no big deal.

We definitely need our players to be aggressive.........let the testosterone flow!

:whip:

Hardcore Texan
08-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Good to seem some fire from these guys, now just bring into the season against the opposition. :cowboy1:

titan hater
08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
We definitely need our players to be aggressive.........let the testosterone flow!

Agreed...it should flow everywhere except in La Tour De Fance....

Meloy
08-02-2006, 01:18 PM

I am sure that would make her happy to know she is responsible for the blond afro making his triumphant return back to Houston.:) :tease:Robertson says, "No thanks, Dante. I can find my way through the door without your help". HAHAHAHA

TransplantTexan1
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Count me in the "ain't nothin' wrong with a little fistacuffs during TC" group. Keeps the guys on the toes. Keeps things aggressive. Gives the guys involved a bit of a chip on their shoulders.

Now, if it becomes a locker room issue, then that's different.

cuppacoffee
08-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Might need a way to distinguish between

TC training camp
TC Texan Chick

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

done88
08-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Good LORD you people crack me up!

A fight in TC is more like a wrestling match with football pads on. You guys make it out like two Muay Thai fighters went at it for a while.

Until they throw some elbows just think Sumo wrestlers...some pushing, some slapping, some throwing...no big deal.

Maybe while we are at camp we can instegate a few more fights to help our team get better. We can tell Car Mario thnks he is a pretty boy and that Mario said Car's mom is ugly. Then we can tell Mario that Winston said Mario was an idiot for buying that house and that Mario's sister was ugly. We can call it WWF at TC.
:bananasplit: :cowboy1: :shoot:

TEXANRED
08-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Maybe while we are at camp we can instegate a few more fights to help our team get better. We can tell Car Mario thnks he is a pretty boy and that Mario said Car's mom is ugly. Then we can tell Mario that Winston said Mario was an idiot for buying that house and that Mario's sister was ugly. We can call it WWF at TC.
:bananasplit: :cowboy1: :shoot:
Whatcha gonna do when these 46 inch pythons run wild on you!?

and while we are at it.

Snap into a slim Jim........oooooooooo yaaaaaaaaa.

DocBar
08-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Did I miss something or have I not been paying attention?

HAHA !!! I just got some hate mail from John McClame after I posted a comment on his blog. Told him he should read some of the posts on here if he thinks he has such a wide fanbase.
I like the part where Spencer smacked Babin to start the scuffle off. Pretty ballsy for a rookie.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM
HAHA !!! I just got some hate mail from John McClame after I posted a comment on his blog. Told him he should read some of the posts on here if he thinks he has such a wide fanbase.
I like the part where Spencer smacked Babin to start the scuffle off. Pretty ballsy for a rookie.

Maybe TC is kinda like prison. You have to shank someone in order to get respect. He just gave him a little Bi---slap to let everyone know he ain't screwing around.:cowboy1:

TEXANRED
08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
You got hate mail from McClain? Oh man you gotta post that.

Texans Pride
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
You got hate mail from McClain? Oh man you gotta post that.

no doubt, what did he say?!

Hutch13
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM

Man you gotta post that!

I got my money on Spencer :money:

thunderkyss
08-02-2006, 07:06 PM

Does it really matter to you how big the guy is?? I mean disrespect is disrespect.....

Sure, Spencer might look like a giant to Gary Coleman, or Doug flutie, but Babin ain't exactly mousy.....

Hulk75
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
They were standing to the side, and Spencer slapped Babin, and they got after it, but it was quickly broken up.

I love it, Spencer is my new favorite lineman.

Dont take stuff from anyone on the football field, NOT even on the sideline. LOVE IT!!!!

Thats a guy I want protecting my QB back side.

3 year vet talking stuff and the Rookie Slaps him, I love it.

DocBar
08-02-2006, 07:58 PM
You got hate mail from McClain? Oh man you gotta post that.Here's the whole deal.
I wish you would devote at least as much space to events on the practice field as you do name dropping and talking about extraneous garbage such as where you ate lunch, with whom you ate lunch, and who recommended the place. Just talk about football, you egotistical jerk. You're just a sportswriter. And not a young or particularly talented one.

Posted by: Dennis McCleney at August 2, 2006 01:16 PM

Dennis,

Geez, what side of the bed did you get up on. Of the 106 comments I've received
about this blog, yours is one of two that complained. Sorry. 104-2 is a
percentage I'll take any time.

My blog, which I started three years ago and stopped because of time restraints,
is very personal. That's the way it's always going to be. The Chronicle won't be
personal. The blog will be.

When I posted your take, maybe you'll get a bunch who agree with you but just
didn't get up on the wrong side of the bed and feel like writing such a nasty
e-mail.

Have a nice day.

john

Dennis,

By the way: egotistical jerk? Have you ever met me? That would be like me
ripping into you, but I wouldn't do that because we've never met. How old are
you? 10.

This will be posted shortly.

john

Mr. McClain, I have never met you, so I may be mistaken on the
egotistical jerk comment. I have, however, read many of your articles
and listened to your weekly show on 610 AM. You seem at least as
interested in "name dropping" as you are about what happened on the
field. If you think you have such a wide fanbase, try reading the
official Texans message boards. That's where serious fans and
students of the game express views and find out accurrate, up-to-date
news about our favorite team. Cowboy and VY fans are tolerated, but
just barely. In your blog today, the Texans practice seemed an
afterthought as you explained in gory detail the off-field
happenings. I'm not 10, I'm a Texan fan, working out of town, who
wants to know which players are doing what, not where you ate lunch
or with whom you ate it. In the words of Sgt. Joe Friday, "just the
facts, sir".

I read the message boards all the time. This is my 30th training camp. I
never said I have a high fan base. I talk about what I'm asking. If you listen
closely to a talk show to what the hosts and callers ask, and that's what I
usually talk about. Sorry you don't like to listen. I just can't imagine someone
calling someone an egotistical jerk they've never met, but, hey, that's you.

My blog will continue to have personal things in it. It's like a radio, Dennis,
if you don;t like something, just skip it.

Sorry you think I'm so bad.

john

Hutch13
08-02-2006, 08:02 PM
:redtowel:

Some rep to u Docbar. Tell him whos boss!!

the wonger need food
08-02-2006, 09:20 PM
You guys should ease up on McClain. You might not agree with everything the guy writes, but he is one of the most respected sports journalists in the country and we are lucky to have him here in Houston.

Stampede
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Im not a big mcClain fan, but in reading the transcript between you guys, it seems to me that he responded rather nicely. Kudos to john for responding to a hostile letter. In a roundabout way it seemed as though he was extending his hand to you. I for one respect him for that.

nunusguy
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
"Rookie offensive tackle Charles Spencer and defensive end Jason Babin got into a couple of skirmishes this week, and they weren't even involved in a drill. They were standing to the side, and Spencer slapped Babin. They got after it, but it was quickly broken up.
"It was hot, and we'd been going at it (in drills), and it's just one of those things that happens," Babin said. "It only lasted about 10 seconds. We were too tired to even cuss."
They were even more tired when they went at it briefly a second time.
"It's all in the heat of battle," Spencer said. "He's my teammate. I love the guy."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4090973.html
According to todays Chronicle, there was not 1 but 2 scraps between Babin
and Spencer, and both were on the sidelines.
But the report says everybody is cool now, including the rook who says of
Babin, "He's my teammate. I love the guy."

TEXANS84
08-04-2006, 08:58 AM
610 reported that Babin and Winston got in a fight yesterday as well.

real
08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
610 reported that Babin and Winston got in a fight yesterday as well.

I heard that too...Are our rookies geeked up, or is babin just an ass...:boxing:

texan279
08-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I heard that too...Are our rookies geeked up, or is babin just an ass...:boxing:

Probably rookies getting "geeked up". Maybe Babin is taking em to school in drills or something who knows...

real
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Probably rookies getting "geeked up". Maybe Babin is taking em to school in drills or something who knows...

I heard Spencer was throwing guys down(Peek) and pretty much holding his own out there...

texan279
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I heard Spencer was throwing guys down(Peek) and pretty much holding his own out there...

Well I dunno, I don't think Babin has had any problems like this in the past during camp and the two guys he got into it with were tackles so I would assume it would have something to do with something that happened during a play or drill, just my opinion though since I haven't seen anything first hand.

Stampede
08-04-2006, 09:39 AM
fwiw Jason Babin was a HS State wrestling champion at Paw Paw. He was the first wrestler to have over 100 wins there. Not sure how that would help him against spencer however. Prolly couldnt get his arms around the guy.

infantrycak
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I saw a couple of exchanges where DLmen had words with OLmen over what they apparently thought were holds or something similar (hands to the face), etc. Nothing that developed into a full argument, but something like that certainly could.

Frills
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Could it be the O-line practicing cutblocks?

texan279
08-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Could it be the O-line practicing cutblocks?

I would doubt it in camp due to preventing injury to one of our own defensive guys but I could be wrong...

real
08-04-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't think they're out there cutting eachother...

HJam72
08-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't think they're out there cutting eachother...

Nope, just steppin' on toes. :rolleyes:

Mr. White
08-04-2006, 11:12 AM
You guys should ease up on McClain. You might not agree with everything the guy writes, but he is one of the most respected sports journalists in the country and we are lucky to have him here in Houston.

I agree. I think McClain gets a bad rap around here. I give him a ton of credit. The guy gets good information and then he answers questions when his readers ask them.

When I try to get ask a question of these hack journalists in Austin, I never hear back from them.

I never have seen a journalist that writes about what I want him to write about 100% of the time.