PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs acquire Michael Bennett

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TexanFan881
06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
This looks interesting :)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-brown060906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Having drafted LenDale White and re-signed Travis Henry, Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese may trade first-string running back Chris Brown – or allow him to seek a deal with teams in need of backs with starting experience – according to a source close to Brown.

Brown is in his last year of his contract, so any trade could require that the new team come to an agreement on a new, long-term deal. Reese has not given Brown permission to pursue trades, but Brown would be an excellent target for teams looking for an experienced back, such as the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans.
:drool:

WildBlackBear32
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
This looks interesting :)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-brown060906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

:drool:

INDEED. I saw that and I'm salivating. DD and Brown would be a nice combo. You've got your smaller cut back in DD and bigger bruiser back in Brown....oh man.

infantrycak
06-09-2006, 03:02 PM
and bigger bruiser back in Brown....oh man.

Chris Brown may be taller, but he is no bruiser back. He is 6" taller than DD and 4 lbs heavier. Brown makes his living on speed, not on running over guys.

AFD1717
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Chris Brown may be taller, but he is no bruiser back. He is 6" taller than DD and 4 lbs heavier. Brown makes his living on speed, not on running over guys.

He sure ran over my Longhorns when he was at Colorado.

Brandon420tx
06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
We're not getting Micheal Bennet, at least not in a trade, you can quote me on it and throw it in my face if it does happen.

I have no problems about getting Chris Brown :)

TexanFan881
06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
I have no problems about getting Chris Brown :)

When we get Michael Benentt I'm going to shove it in your face lol. We will get someone via trade (with no RBs available via free agency) I can guarantee you, I'm just not sure who though :hmmm:

JAXwithanX
06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Chris Brown is no bruiser. But thats good because no bruiser is going to be getting many yards in a zone block running scheme. It's all about finding and cutting to the hole quick enough. Bennett is the best second back we have talked about. And i'm not counting Jones because he is a starter and unless DD is totally ****ed and we don't know it....we won't be going for him.

HOOK'EM
06-09-2006, 08:44 PM
......in that article it also talks about TJ Duckett. Now he could be a bruiser and thats who I would rather have.:twocents:

TexanFan881
06-10-2006, 12:34 AM
......in that article it also talks about TJ Duckett. Now he could be a bruiser and thats who I would rather have.:twocents:

We got Antowain Smith to be that. We don't need to give up a player/draft choice at a spot we don't need as much.

Hutch13
06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
We got Antowain Smith to be that. We don't need to give up a player/draft choice at a spot we don't need as much.

but micheal bennett would be a very nice backup RB considering Domanick Davis health concern ... but is this trade for bennett "dead"

edo783
06-13-2006, 09:54 PM
but is this trade for bennett "dead"

For the moment, probably. However, once Bush signs and they are sure Duce can play, then it could be on again. Until then, he is their starting RB and no teams trades away the starter before TC.

TexanFan881
06-13-2006, 09:57 PM
but micheal bennett would be a very nice backup RB considering Domanick Davis health concern ... but is this trade for bennett "dead"

I would definately like to have Michael Bennett. I was saying that I wouldn't like to get T.J. Duckett, as he is more of a power back that we already have in Antowain Smith. We'd lose a pick with gaining just a minor upgrade at that spot.

For the moment, probably. However, once Bush signs and they are sure Duce can play, then it could be on again. Until then, he is their starting RB and no teams trades away the starter before TC.

That's correct. Kubes even said in an article (can't remember which one off the top of my head) that he's sure that the Saints don't want to lose their starting RB as of now (Bush hasn't signed and McAllister hasn't been with the team yet). Once something happens along that front I'm sure this trade with come back alive.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Duce will not be a "tried commodity" until he has shown that he can come out of preseason without injury or significantly compromised performance. Even the Saints are not stupid enough to begin the season with only Bush to rely on..........and that would be stupid to a team that relies so heavily on their running game.

Scottyboy
06-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Will this thread ever go away? Were not getting Bennett !!! Argh! :brickwall

TexanFan881
06-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Will this thread ever go away? Were not getting Bennett !!! Argh! :brickwall

I will go as far as saying we will get Bennett. If anyone wants to have a bet or something I'd being willing to (depending on what it is), that's how confident I am in Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak.

TexanFan80
06-14-2006, 12:41 AM
we wont get him

Hutch13
06-14-2006, 12:43 AM
I will go as far as saying we will get Bennett. If anyone wants to have a bet or something I'd being willing to (depending on what it is), that's how confident I am in Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak.

Alright how bout if the texans dont have micheal bennett before the eagles game then you have to put Hutch is sooo much smarter than i am :whip: OK!

cj5776
06-14-2006, 12:46 AM
we will get Bennet... that's how confident I am in Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak.

I have confidence in RSmith and Kubes also, confidence that they won't be idiots. The dudes is way over priced!

El Tejano
06-14-2006, 09:16 AM
I think we will get him because we will be the team more capable of playing the waiting game for him. I think all of the other contenders need someone yesterday and if the right price shows up somewhere else, then they will politely exit out of the race for Bennett.

bigbrewster2000
06-14-2006, 09:34 AM
WE WONT GET HIM. We have 8 RB's on our roster right now including FB's, do the math people. We can find guys to do the job that are already on the roster why trade for someone now. The talks are dead. And let the thread die as well.

Señor Stan
06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
WE WONT GET HIM. We have 8 RB's on our roster right now including FB's, do the math people. We can find guys to do the job that are already on the roster why trade for someone now. The talks are dead. And let the thread die as well.

Don't be too sure about that...

from the homepage...

“We’re going to continue to look,” Kubiak said. “I’ve talked about a veteran running back. We’re going to continue to look for a veteran fullback and this team, I think, will continue to look for a returner type, receiver guy. There won’t be a day where Rick (Smith) and I don’t see what’s going on.”

That veteran running back could be New Orleans’ Michael Bennett. It’s been widely speculated for some time that Houston has had interest in acquiring the six-year veteran out of Wisconsin. Kubiak confirmed that interest Monday.

“We’ve talked to them over and over again. To my understanding, he’s basically been their starting back over the offseason because Reggie (Bush) has missed some time and I don’t even think Deuce (McCallister) has worked so their not just going to let their starting running back go at this point. He’s a fine player and I’m sure we’ll talk to them throughout the summer, but it remains to be seen.”

Kubiack and Smith got their fullback.

I have a feeling that this thread might end up challenging the Moulds thread when all is said and done.

TexanFan881
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Alright how bout if the texans dont have micheal bennett before the eagles game then you have to put Hutch is sooo much smarter than i am :whip: OK!

How about this: If I lose, my sig turns into Hutch is sooo much smarter than I am, and if I win, yours says TexanFan881 is sooo much smarter than I am.

O.G.
06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Don't be too sure about that...

from the homepage...

Kubiack and Smith got their fullback.

I have a feeling that this thread might end up challenging the Moulds thread when all is said and done.

I don't know......there is roughly 5 weeks before camp start and until NO signs Bush, I this situation will be stagnant for a while...

Scottyboy
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I'll Take that beat Texan :yahoo:

Also make it Mr. Scottyboy

Ibar_Harry
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Is it possible RB might just hold out so long that he kills the Texans chances at Bennett? Could there be a little element of revenge? If you haven't figured that out yet that is in play. He has a agent who is known for holding out. If you want Bennett start looking elsewhere so they think you no longer have an interest. So far everytime we have looked elsewhere we have gotten a better deal. NO might be looking for us to pay part of RB signing. I don't think we want to do that.................

TexanFan881
06-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Is it possible RB might just hold out so long that he kills the Texans chances at Bennett? Could there be a little element of revenge? If you haven't figured that out yet that is in play. He has a agent who is known for holding out. If you want Bennett start looking elsewhere so they think you no longer have an interest. So far everytime we have looked elsewhere we have gotten a better deal. NO might be looking for us to pay part of RB signing. I don't think we want to do that.................

That's quite the speculating :challenge I don't think it's as complicated as that. It's probably the simplist reason-that he wants to get paid good. I don't think he's going to hold a grudge against us because we thougth Mario Williams was better than him. If that was the case he has obviously let all of the media get to his head.

Ibar_Harry
06-14-2006, 10:41 PM
That's quite the speculating :challenge: I don't think it's as complicated as that. It's probably the simplist reason-that he wants to get paid good. I don't think he's going to hold a grudge against us because we thougth Mario Williams was better than him. If that was the case he has obviously let all of the media get to his head.

Remember, there are 2 parties involved in this process, RB and his agent. His agent was left high and dry by the Texans.

El Tejano
06-15-2006, 08:31 AM
I don't agree with the RB revenge thing but I do agree that if we start looking elsewhere then we may get them to fall for our bait a little quicker.

Only problem with that is there are other teams that are interested as well.

Texans34Life
06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Texans | Team remains interested in M. Bennett
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:57:04 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans still have their eyes on New Orleans Saints RB Michael Bennett.

the wonger need food
06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Another scoop by Ms. Manfull. That girl is good.

But seriously, is it too much to ask for something original from the local fishwrap. This two day-old news from the Texans website is getting old already?

TexanFan881
06-15-2006, 08:52 PM
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/index.php?c=2&a=802
The Texans are going to trade for RB Michael Bennett, but we hear the Saints are in no hurry to trade Bennett and won't let him go for less than a fourth round pick.

Fourth round is good value :thumbup Maybe we can trade a sixth and a player too, but I would be fine with a fourth. I think we have a lot of talent on our team in which we can afford to lose a 4th round pick next year to gain on this year.

Scottyboy
06-15-2006, 09:20 PM
No deal!

TexanFan881
06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
No deal!

It's too late! I got proof!

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/489/post9zi.png

mike230765
06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
what proof?

Hutch13
06-16-2006, 12:25 AM
i like it i would do it for a fourth round draft pick this guy could potentialy be a starter for us.

El Tejano
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
It's too late! I got proof!

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/489/post9zi.png
What do we got going on here. Can't see the pic, need info on what proof you have.

jerek
06-16-2006, 03:05 PM
If the Texans get Bennett they will be absolutely vicious on Madden 07.

Personally I am all for having a true speed back out here.

Meloy
06-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I think once Bush and Deuce are back, a deal will be done if Houston remains interested. Not sure on a 4th, I'd rather give up a player or lower pick.

El Tejano
06-16-2006, 03:42 PM
I think the 4th is fair if you consider that Bennett hasn't shown why he should not have been a first day pick.

Scottyboy
06-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Texan is talking about our side bet..

It's still on!

We dont get Bennett :ok:

HomeBred_Texan
06-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Why in the world would Kubs give up a 4th when he is betting that the Saints will cut him before the season starts and he can get him for free off the waiver wire?

TEXANRED
06-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Why in the world would Kubs give up a 4th when he is betting that the Saints will cut him before the season starts and he can get him for free off the waiver wire?
That depends on what our waiver order doesnt it?

TexanFan881
06-17-2006, 10:15 AM

The Saints won't cut him because they still like him, but he isn't a neccessity for the team and they could get help at another position with a player or draft pick through trade.

U4ikrob
06-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm on with the sidebet game - I dont think the Texans will get Bennett either.

IMO there is too much up in the air for the Saints at RB right now so they wont be doing anything till camp and seeing where Bush is on signing and health and Deuce too. If both come in - happy, fit and ready then they start entertaining other ideas. Until then I think the Saints will hold their cards tight. :poker:

I still think that Thomas Jones[Chicago] is in the mix along with Chris Brown[Titans] and that if we get to TC and still dont have better news about DD a deal will be done for one of these players. :fridge:

TexanFan881
06-17-2006, 10:30 AM

IMO there is too much up in the air for the Saints at RB right now so they wont be doing anything till camp and seeing where Bush is on signing and health and Deuce too. If both come in - happy, fit and ready then they start entertaining other ideas. Until then I think the Saints will hold their cards tight. :poker:

I still think that Thomas Jones is in the mix along with Chris Henry and that if we get to TC and still dont have better news about DD a deal will be done for one of these players. :fridge:

If you want to do this bet thing, I started up a thread to anyone who wants to bet me http://houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=24132

It's a little different than the one me and Scottyboy got going though.

bigbrewster2000
06-17-2006, 10:36 AM

I still think that Thomas Jones is in the mix along with Chris Henry and that if we get to TC and still dont have better news about DD a deal will be done for one of these players. :fridge:

First wht would we try to get a guy that has been to arrested 4 times this year? That is rediculus. Our WR corp looks very strong to me. 2nd why would the Bears or the Bengals take an injured RB off our hands? Just curious. BTW Thomas Jones would be way too expensive in a trade. So, no dice.

U4ikrob
06-17-2006, 10:59 AM
ack I meant Chris Brown [titans] I edited my post -

Brown might get cut as was stated in an earlier article and that he looked to be a good fit in a system like ours or Denver's.

and as for Thomas Jones - Since hes not in camp and pushing for a trade - the bears just arent getting much on the market for him and an average offer [4th rnd pick liek Bennett] might get them interested.

heres an article explaining a bit more on jones
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/06/16/nfl/1.html

5. Thomas Jones, running back, Chicago: Here's one disgruntled Bear who really is in a bad spot. Though Jones ran for a career-high 1,335 yards last season, he knows that Chicago drafted Cedric Benson in 2005 to be the feature back. Jones has been thinking about a trade since the season ended, preferably to a team running the West Coast offense. Now that he's avoided the team's offseason workout program, it's clear that he's down to his last desperate moves to making something happen. It won't work. The Bears will sell the public on the notion that it's a great deal to have two talented running backs. In reality, that's only true if both running backs are excited about sharing the load. That won't be the case in Chicago.

HOOK'EM
06-19-2006, 05:08 AM
The Bears already said they would take no less than a First for him. Thats way too much, NO DEAL!

I still think we will end up with Bennet.:twocents:

Scottyboy
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
No more room for HB's ! I think we keep our current backs, and don't even
sign another one. Bennett Trade isn't going to go threw! mark my words!:homer:

U4ikrob
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
The Bears already said they would take no less than a First for him. Thats way too much, NO DEAL!

I still think we will end up with Bennet.:twocents:

Really - I hadnt heard the first round stuff - I only heard they were getting offers, but nothing they were considering. Since he was a first rounder 7 years ago I can see them asking for a higher price, but honestly he hasnt put up the stats in any of his season except last year that demands anything more than an average contract offer. He's right in the mold of DD - a good RB, but not elite by whats been showing.

As I said above my hunch is since hes not in camp, has asked for a trade and they have all that money tied up in Cedric he's certainly in a position that a deal could be made if the bears want - He does have 2 years left on his deal so he's stuck too.

I was thinking we could offer a 3rd pick/combo with a player trade for him since he's motivated to move and while they dont have to let him go, I dont see him performing as well this year if they drag him into camp and he's splitting half his time with Benson. There company line is 2 RB's are needed blah blah blah, but in all hoensty no team can afford for very long to pay two 1st round RB salaries and not run into cap problems eventually not mention feel like they are overpaying.

El Tejano
06-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Dallas will get Thomas Jones before we do because they have a man crush on Julius Jones.

TexanFan881
06-21-2006, 03:21 PM
With the Thomas Jones thing, the Bears never said a first round pick. All they said is that they would entertain offers before the draft. They were not interested in trading him, but they were just trying to see if someone would sell the farm to get Thomas.

TexanFan881
06-21-2006, 07:36 PM
More depressing news :)

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=120&p=2&c=541483

With the New Orleans Saints looking more and more like they have no intention of letting RB Michael Bennett off their roster, the Houston Texans may be forced to look at some of the remaining free agents that are still available.

I still think they give in once Bush signs :twocents:

Ibar_Harry
06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
More depressing news

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=120&p=2&c=541483

Quote:
With the New Orleans Saints looking more and more like they have no intention of letting RB Michael Bennett off their roster, the Houston Texans may be forced to look at some of the remaining free agents that are still available.

I still think they give in once Bush signs

Everytime we have said, oh well, and let it play out we found some one better. Look at how many WR's we lamented on until we got Moulds. Then everyone realized he was the best one anyway. Its time to move on and find one who is available and wants to play here. After all NO thinks they have us over a barrel and so does Bush and his agent. Its time to say SEE YA.....

chuckm
06-21-2006, 09:33 PM
I may be wrong about this but I hope we don't give up too much for this guy .... he was never all that great at Minnesota albeit he does (did) have blazing speed .....

chuckm
06-21-2006, 09:38 PM

Morency isn't mentioned at all .... has he disappointed in some way or is he not thought to be a "zone-blocking" type RB?

edo783
06-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Morency isn't mentioned at all .... has he disappointed in some way or is he not thought to be a "zone-blocking" type RB?

Early reports/rumors are that he dances to much instead of one cut and go. Might turn it around, but may not also.

El Tejano
06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
This thing about Bennett staying is a ploy to get Bush to sign. Once Bush signs Bennett will be on the block.

wicked_wayz
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
This thing about Bennett staying is a ploy to get Bush to sign. Once Bush signs Bennett will be on the block.

yeah totally agree untill bush inks the paper then bennett will be on the market

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2006, 10:32 AM

...........Not until the Saints are sure that McAllister is solidly proven to "be back." With all the multi roles that Bush is expected to play, the Saints cannot afford NOT to have a strong counterpart, because even they know that Bush can't play the "Wiz kid" role AND be an every down back...........especially since he was not even expected to be called on as an every down back in college.

El Tejano
06-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Alright, just to make things interesting again. Let's say the Saints say they'd like to give up Mcallister, what do you do?

real
06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Alright, just to make things interesting again. Let's say the Saints say they'd like to give up Mcallister, what do you do?

:shoot: ........:francis:

El Tejano
06-22-2006, 11:03 AM
What is that supposed to mean?

Vambo, the Marble Eye
06-22-2006, 11:41 AM

WE TAKE MCALLISTER unless he is using a walker to get around.

Note: My opinion on Bush is rather bleak. I still can not get over the fact;

that Bush was not in the game when playing for the National Championship... $5 says he didn't want to get hurt and ruin his chances for the big bucks.
He is holding out RIGHT NOW... and is looking for #1 draft choice money (or his agent is)
he has NEVER played at this level.... he will buckle under the pressure of expectations

Bush is going to be a bust in the NFL... somebody is going to crush him one time and he is going to take his money and go to the house!

BigSaint8050
06-22-2006, 12:02 PM
...........Not until the Saints are sure that McAllister is solidly proven to "be back." With all the multi roles that Bush is expected to play, the Saints cannot afford NOT to have a strong counterpart, because even they know that Bush can't play the "Wiz kid" role AND be an every down back...........especially since he was not even expected to be called on as an every down back in college.

Duece is said to be about 85-90 percent right now.

Btw, to the poster that suggested they might give up on Deuce, not going to happen. Look at his contract numbers.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
06-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Btw, to the poster that suggested they might give up on Deuce, not going to happen. Look at his contract numbers.

Agreed... and McAllister is GOOD when he is healthy. The Saints are going to need Duce, 'cause Bush isn't going to play one down this year.

powerfuldragon
06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Agreed... and McAllister is GOOD when he is healthy. The Saints are going to need Duce, 'cause Bush isn't going to play one down this year.
what makes you say that?

El Tejano
06-22-2006, 02:20 PM

It wasn't a suggestion. It was a what if scenario in an attempt to put this thread in a new direction since talks for Bennett are pretty much stale or on hold.

TK_Gamer
06-22-2006, 02:55 PM
WE TAKE MCALLISTER unless he is using a walker to get around.

Note: My opinion on Bush is rather bleak. I still can not get over the fact;

that Bush was not in the game when playing for the National Championship... $5 says he didn't want to get hurt and ruin his chances for the big bucks. He is holding out RIGHT NOW... and is looking for #1 draft choice money (or his agent is)
he has NEVER played at this level.... he will buckle under the pressure of expectations

Bush is going to be a bust in the NFL... somebody is going to crush him one time and he is going to take his money and go to the house!

what game did you watch? he scored a touchdown in the championship game lol

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2006, 04:22 PM

I like Duece and hope he makes it back in full swing. But numbers like 85-90 percent at this point in time are based on rehab performance. The Saints are going to want to know that that translates into full contact competition numbers before they ever decide to give up the farm on Bush's "promise."

BigSaint8050
06-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Rams | Team may pursue M. Bennett
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:19:19 -0700

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams, in need of someone who can help RB Steven Jackson share the load at running back, may try to get RB Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints, but the Saints won't deal until they are covered at the position. They want to sign No. 1 draft choice RB Reggie Bush, and they want to make sure that RB Deuce McAllister is fully recovered from knee surgery.

El Tejano
06-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Now it would just be dumb of them to trade with a division rival.

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Now it would just be dumb of them to trade with a division rival.
Unless you think the guy you're trading really sux. :)

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't be dumb to trade Bennet to the Rams unless they got a lot of good guys in return.

tulexan
06-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Since when are the Saints and Rams a division rival? Saints are in the NFC South and the Rams are in the NFC West.

El Tejano
06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Agghhh!!!! You got me. I thought they were in the same division. Didn't they used to be but got moved in the restructure?

CloakNNNdagger
06-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Agghhh!!!! You got me. I thought they were in the same division. Didn't they used to be but got moved in the restructure?

This should help jog your memory. (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1491199)

El Tejano
06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
What? A quote with no comment?

Oops. Saw the link. I knew they were at one time in the same division.

Oh well now that I was called out, errr let me say errr Saints are dumb just not to trade with us period.

BigSaint8050
06-26-2006, 08:14 PM

Yeah, until they restructured the Saints and Rams were in the NFC West along with the 49ers, Carolina and Atlanta.

BigSaint8050
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Btw, I think the Saints are waiting for Bush to sign to make a move with Bennett. Something will happen, but until they have Bush inked and in camp they will hold onto Bennett for insurance.

bayoudreamn
06-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Btw, I think the Saints are waiting for Bush to sign to make a move with Bennett. Something will happen, but until they have Bush inked and in camp they will hold onto Bennett for insurance.

That's highly probable.....and I'm praying we don't get to sign Bennett until December.

Hutch13
06-27-2006, 05:04 AM

If he doesnt go here i think he wil be a chief.

jerek
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
If he doesnt go here i think he wil be a chief.

A Chief? To sit behind one of the most well guaranteed starters in the league this year, in Larry Johnson? Why?

bigbrewster2000
06-27-2006, 10:25 AM
When will this pointless thread end? This is about as bad as the Carr threads. 30+ pages of the same thing over and over and over again.

jerek
06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
When will this pointless thread end? This is about as bad as the Carr threads. 30+ pages of the same thing over and over and over again.

If this was a Carr thread, it would have been Closed 347 times now and restarted once per week under a different title. :hides:

BigSaint8050
06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
-- Rams Have Deal in Place to Acquire Bennett, But... --
Tue Jun 27, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

Bernie Miklasz reports the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints have the parameters of a deal in place to bring RB Michael Bennett to St. Louis as the backup to RB Steven Jackson. The Rams are waiting on the Saints to give the green light right now -- New orleans will not pull the trigger just yet because of some remaining concerns - particularly to make sure RB Deuce McAllister is healthy. They would also like to get top draft pick RB Reggie Bush signed.

threetoedpete
06-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah but the hundred and fifteen million dollar question we all want to know the answwer to , is insurance for whom, Duce or tinkerbell butt? Inquiring minds want to know ?:stirpot:

TexanFan881
06-27-2006, 08:41 PM
-- Rams Have Deal in Place to Acquire Bennett, But... --
Tue Jun 27, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

Bernie Miklasz reports the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints have the parameters of a deal in place to bring RB Michael Bennett to St. Louis as the backup to RB Steven Jackson. The Rams are waiting on the Saints to give the green light right now -- New orleans will not pull the trigger just yet because of some remaining concerns - particularly to make sure RB Deuce McAllister is healthy. They would also like to get top draft pick RB Reggie Bush signed.

:brickwall

dat_boy_yec
06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
:brickwall

Wow, that must suck. Didn't you have a bet going on about this?

TexanFan881
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Wow, that must suck. Didn't you have a bet going on about this?

Sshhhhhhhh :hides: I'm just kidding. If I lose (there's still hope) I'll be faithful to my bet. But nobody new can take the bet now because that would be cheap :)

powerfuldragon
06-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Sshhhhhhhh :hides: I'm just kidding. If I lose (there's still hope) I'll be faithful to my bet. But nobody new can take the bet now because that would be cheap :)
BOOM goes the dynamite.....

old, i know.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
It was just out that NOLA is talking with the RAMs about a trade of Bennett to reunite him with his old vikings coach who is now the head coach of the rams.

NO - STL - RB Bennett to Rams, More Surgery Talk For Faulk?
Source: Scout.com
The Saints are having ongoing discussions with the Rams about a potential trade for Michael Bennett. The deal could reunite Bennett with former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan -- now the head coach of the Rams. The Rams suddenly have a need at running back since Marshall Faulk, who has been phased out of the Rams offense in favor of Steven Jackson, is scheduled to have more surgery on his own injured knee, which could result in him missing the entire 2006 season -- if not marking the end of his career.
The Saints are still trying to gauge the health of Deuce McAllister and that will of course determine how likely they are to let go of Bennett.
[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
We told you last week that the inside buzz was that Marshall Faulk was considering another knee surgery which could knock him out of the 2006 season. He reportedly is lining up television work on the NFL Network. If that does transpire, Bennett to St. Louis would make sense. Stay tuned.

infantrycak
06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
We need links for quoted material or it will have to be deleted. Thanks.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
06-29-2006, 09:36 AM
We need links for quoted material or it will have to be deleted. Thanks.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/8C2CE0253501D0B486257197000CA2A0?OpenDocument

http://news.footballguys.com/new/blogger.php

jerek
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
This will easily go on record as the longest thread about a player we never acquired.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
06-29-2006, 11:29 AM
This will easily go on record as the longest thread about a player we never acquired.

May as well add to it then...

:stirpot: :backsout: :neener:

OzzO
06-29-2006, 02:00 PM

Don't forget the O. Pace non-deal. That thread was split into two, I think 3.

(sorry, didn't want to extend the life of this thread... but I guess I just bumped it back up.)

texan279
06-30-2006, 11:54 PM
from www.kffl.com

Saints | Team wants high mid-round pick for Bennett
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:27:52 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the New Orleans Saints are looking for a high mid-round draft pick in exchange for RB Michael Bennett. The team insists on taking him to training camp with them if they can not get what they want in a trade.

DominickDavisFan76
07-01-2006, 02:26 PM
How come we cant get him, or how come he cant get a deal settled with another team....this is kinda getting old here...Michael Bennett isnt even that good of a RB, he just has speed.

JAXwithanX
07-30-2006, 04:23 AM
Well. Bush signed.....figure I might as well beat everyone else and bump this monster of speculation back up to the top.

Numbskull
07-30-2006, 04:30 AM
LOL, a 10 page thread on Michael Bennett... I don't think there was even a 5 page thread at SR when we signed him. He's on his way out soon... I think most probably to St. Louis... we'll see though...

wicked_wayz
07-30-2006, 05:02 AM
LOL, a 10 page thread on Michael Bennett... I don't think there was even a 5 page thread at SR when we signed him. He's on his way out soon... I think most probably to St. Louis... we'll see though...

dayum to rams...i was hoping he come here....hey numbskull how long do u think the sharing of carries between bush and mcallister will last for...one of them will leave(maybe next year)????? i think it probly be deuce....i like deuce hes one of the top running backs in the league, but bush is like the next sanders, bush doenst really need an oline, give him a gap and hes gone for a touch down

Numbskull
07-30-2006, 05:30 AM
dayum to rams...i was hoping he come here....hey numbskull how long do u think the sharing of carries between bush and mcallister will last for...one of them will leave(maybe next year)????? i think it probly be deuce....i like deuce hes one of the top running backs in the league, but bush is like the next sanders, bush doenst really need an oline, give him a gap and hes gone for a touch down

I've heard the Rams are really hot on his tail since Marshall went down. Deuce and Bush will be together for atleast 3 years as it doesn't even become a real option to move Deuce until 2009 as he only signed his contract a year ago.

I love Deuce, but like I have said before recently, he hasn't been the same rb he was in 2003 for two years. Even before he was hurt in the 3rd game last year, he looked overweight and ineffective. Not many people talk about it because Deuce is such a fan favorite in New Orleans. He's an even greater person than he is a football player. Its common opinion that Deuce lost that edge he had back in 2002-2003 because of Haslett who asked him to gain 2lbs a year to add to his durability... well.. it slowed him down is what it did... in 2004 he lost that break away speed that we had seen from him so much in previous years...

I honestly think that the injury might actually help him in the long run. Rededicate him to getting slimmer and regain the speed and agility he had a couple years ago. So far, so good.. his knee has held up very well in camp and he has slimmed down quite a bit. If he comes back full force and plays like he did in 2003, it'll be hard to keep him off the field and would be painful to say goodbye in a few years.

TexansSeminole
07-30-2006, 07:00 AM
bush doenst really need an oline, give him a gap and hes gone for a touch down
Thats the most rediculous thing I have ever read on this board.

Napa Auto Parts
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
i wonder if we could get bush from the saints for DD our 1st next year and Eric moulds. and then trade with the titans D.carr and T.J and our second and thrid next year and our 1st the year after that for VY.

RTP2110
07-30-2006, 04:10 PM
i wonder if we could get bush from the saints for DD our 1st next year and Eric moulds. and then trade with the titans D.carr and T.J and our second and thrid next year and our 1st the year after that for VY.

And now that's the most rediculous thing I have ever read on this board.

Texans Pride
07-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Napa, put the pipe down brother. . .Let me drive you to see some people that I think can help!

WildBlackBear32
07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Thats the most rediculous thing I have ever read on this board.

Because linemen create that gap or because he's never had a single rushing attempt in the NFL?

ArlingtonTexan
07-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I thought we had put this thread out of its misery...guess not carry onward.

JAXwithanX
07-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I thought we had put this thread out of its misery...guess not carry onward.

Yeah well we could have let it die. Lord knows that 10 of the first page topics all speculating on what we hope for next year was exciting enough to talk about needlessly for the next 2 months. I'd personally rather talk about things that still could actually occur, instead of reaching, assuming, and re-hashing about the future.

Napa Auto Parts
07-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Napa, put the pipe down brother. . .Let me drive you to see some people that I think can help!

i just wanted to bump this thread since its lived so long. and i can quit whenever i want im not addicted.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Update of Bennet status: (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/3456921.html)

Jul 31, 2006
JACKSON, Miss. — The person most likely to be affected by the signing of first-round draft pick Reggie Bush said Sunday he’s ready to do whatever the New Orleans Saints ask him to do.

Veteran Michael Bennett, who signed with the Saints as an unrestricted free agent before they grabbed Bush in the draft, has worked as the second-team halfback behind Deuce McAllister since training camp opened Friday but figures to drop a notch when Bush gets on the field—likely Tuesday.

Bennett, a former first-round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings and a Pro Bowl pick in 2002, has been the subject of trade talks with Houston, Miami, Kansas City, and, most recently, St. Louis.

After Sunday’s morning practice, Bennett seemed resigned to the fact he’ll be traded, even though Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis has said they won’t give him away.

“Wherever they end up trading me to, I’m just ready to play ball,” said Bennett.

TexansSeminole
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
You think if we were to get Bennett we would have to drop either Lundy or Chris Taylor?

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Chris Taylor and Lundy would likely hit practice squad. I hope we dont get Bennet as I hope that this thread will eventually just die.

TexansSeminole
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
I think as Lundy and Taylor continue to impress, Coach Kubiak will let other teams take over the trade talks for Bennett.

real
07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
I hope We get Bennett...I think he would be a great pick-up, and would help tremendously in the running game...

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
TO bad we couldnt pick up mccallister. We need someone that is fast. Do you think bennet has the juice. We do need to make a move. If davis stays injured. We will have to here about how we should have picked up Bush for the entire season. I am plain sick of haring his name. Bye the way i am glad we have mario. I think he was the best fit for the team.

texan279
07-31-2006, 09:36 AM
I have been against this trade for the most part until the last few days after reading about Davis still having knee problems, IMO the only person right now besides Davis on the roster who could fill in as a starter is Smith.

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 09:40 AM
We still ranked 16th in rushing last year. With davis out most of the time. So we have a chance. GO MORENCY #34

texan279
07-31-2006, 09:46 AM
We still ranked 16th in rushing last year. With davis out most of the time. So we have a chance. GO MORENCY #34

Davis had 230 carries last season and started 11 games compared to Wells and Morency who combined for 136 carries last season.

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
What what i mean stat guy is that whoever we put back there should get the job done

texan279
07-31-2006, 10:15 AM
What what i mean stat guy is that whoever we put back there should get the job done

And what I meant was Davis was not out most of the time last season...

TransplantTexan1
07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Bennett, IMO, would be a solid pick up for the Texans but the Saints wouldn't be very smart in letting him go. Deuce is coming back from a notable injury and Bush is a rookie who, despite his incredible talent, brings some questions regarding his ability to carry the rock "x" number of times in the NFL. Bennett is not only a nice second option for Deuce but a second option for Bush as well.

But if the Saints want to part ways with him and the Texans can snag him, I like it.:ok:

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Do we have enough money for Bennett? And do we actually need this man? He would be a good power runner and back-up for Davis, though.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Bennett, IMO, would be a solid pick up for the Texans but the Saints wouldn't be very smart in letting him go. Deuce is coming back from a notable injury and Bush is a rookie who, despite his incredible talent, brings some questions regarding his ability to carry the rock "x" number of times in the NFL. Bennett is not only a nice second option for Deuce but a second option for Bush as well.

But if the Saints want to part ways with him and the Texans can snag him, I like it.:ok:

The TImes Picayune essentially reports that Bennett will be allowed a trade.......

They will still demand a fair offer for the former first-round draft pick, but they said they also want to be fair to Bennett, who will fall to third on the depth chart.

The Saints would love to keep Bennett around as an insurance policy, especially with Deuce McAllister still recovering from last year's knee surgery. But they also said they want to do right by Bennett, who signed a two-year, $3 million deal in March -- nearly two months before the Saints drafted Bush.

"We want to do what's best for the Saints, with the caveat that we want to be sensitive to Michael," said Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, who likely won't have much trouble finding a taker.

Several teams have made offers or shown interest in recent months -- a list that reportedly includes St. Louis, Houston, Miami and Kansas City. But earlier this month, Loomis said the offers haven't been good enough.

UPDATE ON BENNETT (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-24/1154325738123470.xml&coll=1)

WWX
07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Camp quotes - Day 3
July 30, 2006

Head Coach Gary Kubiak

(on the running back situation) “We’ll keep our eyes out in this league for veteran backs just like corners. That won’t change at any position. I like the competition we have. I like what (RB) Antowain Smith is doing. These are tremendously conditioned athletes and I’m sure you guys are seeing the same thing I have. There is three fine young football players out there, whether they’re a sixth rounder or free-agents. If they can play, that’s all that matters to me. I like watching these three kids and I’m excited to watch them play. I’m talking about the three rookies. I think (RB Vernand) Morency stepped it up. I think when you look at (RB) Wali (Lundy), and you look at (RB Chris) Taylor and you look at (RB Damien) Rhodes , you’re looking at three kids who are showing you they can play in this league. It doesn’t matter where you’re drafted. I’ve been through that before, and as long as they keep doing that, I’m going to give them a chance to contribute to this football team.”

The man likes running backs, the more the better i guess.
:trophy:

jparrish
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
TO bad we couldnt pick up mccallister. We need someone that is fast. Do you think bennet has the juice.

Bennett was an extremely fast running back. I believe he was a standout in track. This guy is definitely fast, but injuries may have slowed him a little. A marginally slower Bennett is still a pretty fast RB in the NFL.

He would be a good power runner and back-up for Davis, though.

I disagree here. The Bennett I've seen in the past is not a power running back. I definitely don't see him as a big tackle breaker...more of a really fast smaller guy.

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
I think as Lundy and Taylor continue to impress, Coach Kubiak will let other teams take over the trade talks for Bennett.

I don't think we should expect our 6th round pick and our undrafted free agent to fill the duty of starting RB if DD gets hurt. We have about 4 solid #3s and no real #2 RB, which is why Michael Bennett would be a huge help for us considering two back systems have been really effective in recent years. Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor will probably be practice squad for a year or two just so we can get more RBs into the roster.

HOU-TEX
07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't think we should expect our 6th round pick and our undrafted free agent to fill the duty of starting RB if DD gets hurt. We have about 4 solid #3s and no real #2 RB, which is why Michael Bennett would be a huge help for us considering two back systems have been really effective in recent years. Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor will probably be practice squad for a year or two just so we can get more RBs into the roster.

I think A. Smith is going to be a effective #2 RB. He still has some left in the tank.

El Tejano
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Can we give them cash? They are going to need it.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Why wont this thread die...

Honoring Earl 34
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
:bananasplit: You must put a stake through its heart .

mexican_texan
07-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Why wont this thread die...
...because we're putting all our hope on an undrafted FA running back.

Mr. White
07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
This thread mocks us. :tease:

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Why, DD will be able to play, Morency is getting better, Antowain Smith can shoulder a good bit of the load, and Taylor and Lundy are talented. Kubiak has been successful with undrafted and low round picks consistently for the last 7years so what is the problem.

jparrish
07-31-2006, 03:52 PM
...because we're putting all our hope on an undrafted FA running back.

Does nobody remember a certain running back named Willie Parker? I believe he was undrafted, and I believe he did a pretty damn amazing job.

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Does nobody remember a certain running back named Willie Parker? I believe he was undrafted, and I believe he did a pretty damn amazing job.

Yeah, he was pretty good in that Superbowl. A long touchdown run, too. We have nothing to worry about, and don't need Bennett.

real
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't think running back is a big concern...I think we can pretty much piece together a unit that can be effective...I don't know what the value scale is on running backs but Id have to think they'd be just above kicker/punter...

mexican_texan
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
We don't have Jerome Bettis to teach Chris Taylor the nuances of the game.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
The Tacks just released this RB with about same size as DD and little experience in his 1 year of experience (6 carries for 5.3 ypc).........FYI his profile DAMIEN NASH (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/nash_damien)

Scooter
07-31-2006, 04:26 PM

no, we have gary kubiak and antwain smith. i think there are 5 rings between those 2 men, we should be ok.

jparrish
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM

We have coaches.

Hutch13
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, he was pretty good in that Superbowl. A long touchdown run, too. We have nothing to worry about, and don't need Bennett.

I dont think we need him but its always nice to have a RB that can get you 800 yards and 5 touchdowns

TexanSam
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
I would still rather have Bennett than the backups we have.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Why, Why would you guys even want Bennet. He is a scat back, and yeah he is fast, but he is injured just as much a DD so what are we gaining.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-31-2006, 07:52 PM
If we are going to trade for a running back that has struggled with injuries we might as well give the Ravens a call and make a deal for Musa Smith, former 3rd round pick out of Georgia. According to reports in Baltimore, Musa Smith is completely healed from his broken leg and looks great in camp.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/players/721.html

RTP2110
07-31-2006, 08:14 PM

Priest Holmes anyone?

nya982001
07-31-2006, 08:30 PM
I heard Schifino has sure hands hows he doing in camp so far??:whip:

WiiBrawler
07-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Priest Holmes anyone?

Priest Holmes has a back problem, and might not come back:crutch: .I dont think the Chiefs would give him away

tulexan
07-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Priest Holmes has a back problem, and might not come back:crutch: .I dont think the Chiefs would give him away

I think he brought up Priest Holmes because he was an undrafted free agent.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM

He's been placed on PUP. For the past 4 days, they've been saying that they are waiting for the final medical testing results. He's been seen by several different specialists over the past 6 months. He is speaking of retirement, leaving me with the impression that he has had opinions warning him about the consequences of another spinal trauma.

mexican_texan
07-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Kubiak is a former QB and Antowain Smith isn't exactly a HOF running back. I'm sure they'll do a great job, but nothing compares to having a player of Jerome Bettis' caliber teaching you the game.

tulexan
07-31-2006, 11:52 PM
Kubiak is a former QB and Antowain Smith isn't exactly a HOF running back. I'm sure they'll do a great job, but nothing compares to having a player of Jerome Bettis' caliber teaching you the game.

Plus Jerome has all of that chunky soup at his disposal.

the wonger need food
08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting on NFL Network that the Saints are asking for a 3rd. Rams, Dolphins and Texans are in the running.

TexansLucky13
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM

Antowain Smith is the perfect mentor for Kubiaks running game. There are many parallels between the Patriots running game and ours. Antowain Smith knows it better than anyone.... he's the OG of the modern dynasty.

tulexan
08-01-2006, 08:16 PM
You do realize that the Texans have two pro bowl receivers right?

texan279
08-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting on NFL Network that the Saints are asking for a 3rd. Rams, Dolphins and Texans are in the running.

I'd be torn on giving up a 3rd for Bennett...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-01-2006, 08:38 PM
A first day pick for an often injured first round bust? No thanks.

the wonger need food
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd be torn on giving up a 3rd for Bennett...

That's a tough one. He's only had 1 good season. He fumbles a lot and can't stay healthy. But he appears to be the best RB available and the Texans might be getting desperate now that they've seen where Domanick is.

I know that he doesn't have much say in the matter, but Houston is about the only place he has a chance to be a starter.

tulexan
08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
A third is a little high, but if he can stay healthy he would be a great addition to this team. Having that kind of speed in the Denver system can equal a lot of yards.

MorKnolle
08-01-2006, 09:38 PM
That's a tough one. He's only had 1 good season. He fumbles a lot and can't stay healthy. But he appears to be the best RB available and the Texans might be getting desperate now that they've seen where Domanick is.

I know that he doesn't have much say in the matter, but Houston is about the only place he has a chance to be a starter.

I doubt the team will make a move for Bennett, and if it happens it won't be for another week or two until they have a better idea of what they already have at the RB position, maybe even after a preseason game or two. I really don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd rounder for Bennett, he is very fast for a RB but he has had fumbling problems and plenty of injury problems, and I don't think we are in that desperate of a RB situation.

texan279
08-01-2006, 09:57 PM

I agree, on one hand, I doubt any better RB's hit waivers or would be available for trade anytime soon, if at all this season, on the other, we don't know at this point exactly how bad DD's knee is or they haven't released the details. Either way I have had a bad feeling for a long time about DD's knee and these last couple of days I have gotten an even a worse feeling about it. At this point depending on DD's knee and our other backs, we might almost have to put up the 3rd. I just wonder if the coaches find out DD's knee is really bad or they think think he won't make it through the season they don't let it be known publicly so New Orleans doesn't drive up the asking price.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I doubt the team will make a move for Bennett, and if it happens it won't be for another week or two until they have a better idea of what they already have at the RB position, maybe even after a preseason game or two. I really don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd rounder for Bennett, he is very fast for a RB but he has had fumbling problems and plenty of injury problems, and I don't think we are in that desperate of a RB situation.

It's going to be later than that in that any Bennett trade will occur ONLY after Duece has proven to the Saints that he will be able to "shoulder the weight" of a good portion of the carries.

AFD1717
08-01-2006, 10:06 PM
No way do we give up a third for this guy. I say we limp along (no pun intended) with what we got this year and address RB in the offseason if these guys don't pan out. Denver was the second best rushing team in the NFL with Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson last year. Davis, Morency, Smith, Lundy, and Taylor can at least be good enough to put us middle of the pack.

TexanFan881
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Giving up a third I think is reasonable. Why not? I mean look at our third round pick last year in Vernand Morency. There's a 50/50 chance that the player we pick is going to pan out. Let's fix the problem and get a solid starter in Michael Bennett to fix the problems we have now. I think Lundy, Smith, Morency, and Taylor can all pick up some of the slack but we'd be a lot better off with Michael Bennett if he can stay healthy.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Giving up a third I think is reasonable. Why not? I mean look at our third round pick last year in Vernand Morency. There's a 50/50 chance that the player we pick is going to pan out. Let's fix the problem and get a solid starter in Michael Bennett to fix the problems we have now. I think Lundy, Smith, Morency, and Taylor can all pick up some of the slack but we'd be a lot better off with Michael Bennett if he can stay healthy.

But look at what we potentially might have landed in our third round picks this year!

MorKnolle
08-01-2006, 10:27 PM

Bennett isn't a solid starter, that's the problem. He's had as many if not more injury problems than DD (missed 16 games over 5 seasons, only played all 16 games twice, and one of those he only had 126 carries for the year) and has never carried the ball more than 255 times in a season. He is not worth giving up a 3rd rounder, look at what we got in the 3rd this year in Spencer and Winston. I don't want to give up on possibly getting another player of that talent for Bennett.

Coach C.
08-01-2006, 10:29 PM

Cant agree with you hear. Michael Bennet lost his job to Mewelde Moore a mid round pick. Bennett has had fumbling problems and been injured as much as DD. No reason to get him just because he can run the 40 well. Smith, Taylory, Lundy, and Morency can shoulder the load if DD cant go. I doubt we even slip from the 16 spot we achieved last year.

texan279
08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
The more I think about it the more I think we should go after Bennett. IF DD is unable to perform this season or play at 100%, we will have to rely on a 34 year old vet, a 6th round rookie, two undrafted rookie free agents, and a second year guy who has started one NFL game in his career to carry the load. Unless one of the rookies turns out to be one of those "diamond in the rough" finds or Morency can step up, we are going to need a solid experienced running back if one becaomes available. Sure Bennett has had injury problems and has had problems fumbling, but DD is still having injury problems and had fumbling problems in the past.

HOOK'EM
08-01-2006, 11:59 PM
A 3rd round pick is a little high, but we could give'em Travis Johnson.

texan279
08-02-2006, 12:04 AM
A 3rd round pick is a little high, but we could give'em Travis Johnson.

A 3rd round pick is too high but a former 1st round pick isn't? :hides:

texan279
08-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Bennett has been traded to the Chiefs, via ESPN radio reporting.

Now this thread can die lol....

WildBlackBear32
08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
A 3rd round pick is too high but a former 1st round pick isn't? :hides:

Well a former first rounder who plays like a 3rd rounder isnt.

texan279
08-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Here is the link...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2536868

With the future of Priest Holmes still undetermined, the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday night acquired running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints for what is believed to be a future draft choice, ESPN.com has learned.

Paperwork must still be filed with the NFL office and the deal is contingent on Bennett passing a Chiefs-administered physical exam. That should not be a problem since Bennett was already in camp with the Saints and practicing.

The subject of considerable trade talk ever since the Saints chose Reggie Bush in the first round of the draft, Bennett will become the primary backup to starter Larry Johnson. The absence of Holmes, and the possibility that he might be forced to retire because of head and neck injuries sustained last season, left the Chiefs perilously thin at the position.

Several teams inquired about Bennett and, in the past week, the St. Louis Rams -- who will be without Marshall Faulk for all of the 2006 season -- offered the Saints a fourth-round pick in next year's draft. Bennett would have preferred being traded to the Rams, where Scott Linehan, his onetime offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings, is the first-year head coach.

New Orleans officials told Bennett and his agent that they dealt him to Kansas City because they did not want to trade him to an NFC team. Other franchises that expressed an interest in Bennett in the last three months included Miami and Houston.

The Saints could have traded Bennett earlier, but held off until they could assess the recovery of starting tailback Deuce McAllister from 2005 knee surgery and until they got Bush under contract.

A former first-round draft choice and a onetime Pro Bowl performer, Bennett was signed by the Saints as an unrestricted free agent on March 17, at a time when New Orleans was seeking an established back and had no idea Bush would be available at No. 2 in the draft. Bennett signed a two-year, $3 million contract.

Before signing with the Saints, Bennett, 27, played all five previous seasons with the Vikings, who chose him in the first round of the 2001 draft. The former University of Wisconsin star was the draft's 27th overall selection that year, four spots after the Saints chose McAllister.

The speedy Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns in '02, and became the first player in NFL history to produce runs of 60-plus yards in three straight games that year. Over the ensuing three seasons, however, Bennett totaled only 1,196 yards and five touchdowns. In 16 appearances in 2005, including six starts, he carried 126 times for 473 yards and three touchdowns.

TwinSisters
08-02-2006, 12:17 AM

Not yet.

Now we can shift it over to the NFL section, so that it can compete with the Reggie Bush threads.

Texans Pride
08-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey, Hey, Hey, goodbye thread!

LikeABoss
08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Should help LJ out alot, they already lost Priest and now Roaf.

MorKnolle
08-02-2006, 12:43 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2536868

no Michael Bennett for us.

TEXANS84
08-02-2006, 12:46 AM

As it now moves to the NFL forum....

thetexanator
08-02-2006, 12:46 AM
well that shucks, the rb situuation is looking bad.

TexanFan881
08-02-2006, 01:43 AM
darn!

TexanSam
08-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Dammit! I would much rather have had Bennett starting over Wali Lundy, Antowain Smith, or any other RB we have in camp.

TwinSisters
08-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Should help LJ out alot, they already lost Priest and now Roaf.

They still have three other Pro Bowlers on their line: Gonzalez, Shields, and Big Tex Waters.

Tale Gator
08-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I really thought the Rams would grab him somehow, but clearly the Chiefs are planning on Priest not playing next season.

nunusguy
08-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm glad this happened, because as someone posted earlier (don't remember who ?), this guy has been very injury prone and had a serious case of fumbalitus. Bad, bad combination.

Capster67
08-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Yahoo sports announced the deal for an undisclosed draft pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-chiefstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

While it would have been nice to get Bennet for purposes of depth, I'm glad we didn't give up a draft pick that was too high. This says the coaches must feel okay with who we've got in camp. I'm hoping I will too come October and November.

TheRealJoker
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Will that thread finally die now?:brickwall

Hutch13
08-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Now this extremely long thread can finally go away!

thunderkyss
08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
The more I think about it the more I think we should go after Bennett. IF DD is unable to perform this season or play at 100%, we will have to rely on a 34 year old vet, a 6th round rookie, two undrafted rookie free agents, and a second year guy who has started one NFL game in his career to carry the load. Unless one of the rookies turns out to be one of those "diamond in the rough" finds or Morency can step up, we are going to need a solid experienced running back if one becaomes available. Sure Bennett has had injury problems and has had problems fumbling, but DD is still having injury problems and had fumbling problems in the past.

When I look at Antowain Smith, I see a guy who could do for us what Terrell Davis (another nobody before the run blocking scheme)did for the Broncos........ I think he is that type of runner, or can be in a run blocking system.......

I think DD can be something totally different, but special just the same.

I also don't understand why their is so much concern for our running back situation when we haven't even so much as looked at our secondary unit.

threetoedpete
08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Yep this was a herpes thread no doubt. Did it break the record ? The day this turd sinks to page two....the "off" season's over. My respect for Rick Smith just went up ten fold. Don't over pay or someone else's garbage.

TexanFan881
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
They had to give up a 3rd round pick considering I think the Rams offered a 4th and they got turned down. All I've got to say is atleast Chris Brown is still somewhat available.

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
When I look at Antowain Smith, I see a guy who could do for us what Terrell Davis (another nobody before the run blocking scheme)did for the Broncos........ I think he is that type of runner, or can be in a run blocking system.......

That "type of runner"--what type is that both could be considered the same type beyond NFL RB's in a ZBS?

Talk about unbridled optimism--Smith has only averaged over 4.0 ypc once in his career--his rookie season 10 years ago. Hard to imagine him suddenly galumphing along at 5.0 ypc.

jerek
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
the image that comes to mind for me is, ''old guy past his prime who is going to struggle just to make the team".

Nah ... I think he'll easily make it. He's a strong runner and a veteran who I think might become a leader of sorts. As far as TD ... no way in hell. Two totally different types of runners. Antowain flat out doesn't have the wheels to break out of the secondary. He'll primarily be our short yardage back this year.

And I am glad Bennett was traded ... now we can stop talking about him. Trust me folks, we have plenty of young talent in camp right now.

Cruuuuuuuz
08-03-2006, 02:08 AM
MCKENZIES FIRST #$% up if you ask me, letting Bennett get away.

TexanSam
08-03-2006, 02:28 AM
MCKENZIES FIRST #$% up if you ask me, letting Bennett get away.

Who's McKenzie? The Saints GM? If you're talking about the Texans though, our GM is Rick Smith.

texan279
08-03-2006, 02:38 AM
from www.kffl.com

Saints | Team acquired 2007 fourth-round pick for Bennett
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:07:05 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Kansas City Chiefs traded a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for RB Michael Bennett, according to league sources.

I would think if we were in the running for Bennett and we offered a 4th the Saints would have taken it over the Chief's 4th since our pick will more than likely be higher than the Chief's in '07. :hmmm:

TexanFan881
08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
from www.kffl.com

Saints | Team acquired 2007 fourth-round pick for Bennett
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:07:05 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Kansas City Chiefs traded a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for RB Michael Bennett, according to league sources.

I would think if we were in the running for Bennett and we offered a 4th the Saints would have taken it over the Chief's 4th since our pick will more than likely be higher than the Chief's in '07. :hmmm:

Wow we could have offered better. That's disappointing. We must have been trying to give them a fifth or we were only offering players. :brickwall Hopefully this means we're looking hard at Chris Brown or we're looking good at RB.

Dime
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow we could have offered better. That's disappointing. We must have been trying to give them a fifth or we were only offering players. :brickwall Hopefully this means we're looking hard at Chris Brown or we're looking good at RB.

Word was they didnt want to trade him to someone in thier division.. But just what I heard. Dont know how valid that was.

Numbskull
08-03-2006, 04:03 PM

Giving up a 3rd round pick for Michael Bennett would have been absolutely insane. A 4th round pick is an ok deal, but not really a favorable one in my opinion for the Chiefs.

Think about it. Who would you rather next year? Michael Bennett or a Charles Spencer/Eric Winston type?

TexanFan881
08-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Giving up a 3rd round pick for Michael Bennett would have been absolutely insane. A 4th round pick is an ok deal, but not really a favorable one in my opinion for the Chiefs.

Think about it. Who would you rather next year? Michael Bennett or a Charles Spencer/Eric Winston type?

I'm saying we should have offered a fourth, considering the Saints would probably think that our fourth was more valuable than the Chiefs fourth, therefore it being a logical deal.