PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs acquire Michael Bennett

Pages : 1 [2] 3

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Bush had a tight hamstring in practice. He missed the evening practice. He was back practicing with the team this morning. Oh whoa is the Saints....

The city is coming along fine, as will Bush. He has stated many times that the most important thing, no matter what, is to get in camp on time.

Why does it always have to come down to this. Fans trying to bash the other fans teams? This is just pathetic. Did you ever see my try to diss your team? Your city? Lets grow up a little man.

Where did you get I was trying to bash your team? I stated with my opinion on why I thought bush will not succeed in this league and as far as your city; did I not say that it was a travesty???? You need to quit getting offensive when someone presents a strong arguement and counter with something insightful or constructive.

JAXwithanX
05-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't understand how this 3 games with over 60 yard runs is just blowing minds. When you have Culpepper connecting to two burners in Burleson and Moss its not to hard to imagine the D plays a little loose. Even completely 100% healthy....Bennett can not run inside or break tackles. People said we should ask the Vikings for a opposing view and they said the exact same thing. Check it out in the link to the thread in the poll i set up. TexanFan881 set up the same thing in another Viking board and exactly the same results concerning who is better when healthy (DD or Bennett) and comments about Bennett period. Bennett = situational back. I think he would be a great addition to the team and no one in the league questions his ability as an athlete....but his talent as an all around RB is very questioned no matter how healthy.

BigSaint8050
05-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Where did you get I was trying to bash your team? I stated with my opinion on why I thought bush will not succeed in this league and as far as your city; did I not say that it was a travesty???? You need to quit getting offensive when someone presents a strong arguement and counter with something insightful or constructive.

Strong arguement? Huh, thats what that was.....

BigSaint8050
05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
So who would you take in exchange for Bennet, or what draft pick would you take? Saint fan.

I don't really know. I mean there are players I would be interested in, but who knows what this front office is thinking. The Haslett camp was pretty easy to figure out, if the guy had a mind blowing 40 he was there man. There are several players I think that could help this team (mostly depth as there are several positions we are thin at), but like I said who knows.

The only word that is coming out is Houston offered a player, rumor is it was Antwan Peek, and the Saints said no. There were further discusions, what substance I don't know. I don't know if the Saints have a particular player or group of players they are interested in, if they would prefer a pick (my guess is they most likely want a player), or how intense the talks are. I know that Miami and Houston are the two "most" interested. How much interest there is I don't know. Houston is interested enough that at least one porposal has been exchanged, beyond that who knows.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 10:55 PM
you still have nothing eh....big surprise there. go back to your teams mb and keep your lame posts to yourself.

Brandon420tx
05-14-2006, 11:05 PM
you still have nothing eh....big surprise there. go back to your teams mb and keep your lame posts to yourself.
Ouch, that isn't nice. I like his posts, they create controversy.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Ouch, that isn't nice. I like his posts, they create controversy.

thats about all they create

TexanFan881
05-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I really wish we would have just signed him while he was available...

dat_boy_yec
05-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't really know. I mean there are players I would be interested in, but who knows what this front office is thinking. The Haslett camp was pretty easy to figure out, if the guy had a mind blowing 40 he was there man. There are several players I think that could help this team (mostly depth as there are several positions we are thin at), but like I said who knows.

The only word that is coming out is Houston offered a player, rumor is it was Antwan Peek, and the Saints said no. There were further discusions, what substance I don't know. I don't know if the Saints have a particular player or group of players they are interested in, if they would prefer a pick (my guess is they most likely want a player), or how intense the talks are. I know that Miami and Houston are the two "most" interested. How much interest there is I don't know. Houston is interested enough that at least one porposal has been exchanged, beyond that who knows.

I don't think it was Peek the Texans tendered him to a mid-level deal and they have been high on him. More than likely it was a player they wanted to unload and weren't high on. Peek could help your team out so I don't think they would have rejected that offer so quickly, I think it was probably one of the backups or something because otherwise the Saints would have asked for something else along with the player. The rejection I take means they didn't think the player would help. Like you said who knows.

My question was who would you like to see in the trade.

sprtsfanatic
05-14-2006, 11:12 PM
if our rb by commitee can keep DD healthier I think we'll be just fine...but if we can pick him up now for some extra insurance at a CHEAP price then Im all for it....and whats with us dangling peek out there for this cat?? I wouldnt do that with the intensity he plays with and brings to our team.

BigSaint8050
05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
said who knows.

My question was who would you like to see in the trade.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Robaire Smith or Marlon Greenwood or even a guy like Polk (might be a good MLBer in the 4-3). I definitly hope they stay away from Buchanon. I know the Saints tried to sign Payne but he ended up resigning with Houston a couple years back (maybe it was last year?), anyway don't think the Texans would let him go. Another guy I am high on, though its out of reach for Bennett, is Travis Johnson. Really liked him coming out of college.

All and all, I think it all depends on who the Texans new coaching staff see as keepers. Who on the defensive side of the ball they think transitions well into there defense and who doesn't. Who are some guys that are on the short list to find new jobs or be gone from the team in the next year?

BigSaint8050
05-14-2006, 11:21 PM
if our rb by commitee can keep DD healthier I think we'll be just fine...but if we can pick him up now for some extra insurance at a CHEAP price then Im all for it....and whats with us dangling peek out there for this cat?? I wouldnt do that with the intensity he plays with and brings to our team.

Thats the talk coming out of New Orleans. Don't know the truth, but its what I am hearing. Houston offered Peek, but the Saints turned it down as they didn't feel he fit well in there defense.

TexanFan881
05-14-2006, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't mind a guy like Robaire Smith or Marlon Greenwood or even a guy like Polk (might be a good MLBer in the 4-3). I definitly hope they stay away from Buchanon. I know the Saints tried to sign Payne but he ended up resigning with Houston a couple years back (maybe it was last year?), anyway don't think the Texans would let him go. Another guy I am high on, though its out of reach for Bennett, is Travis Johnson. Really liked him coming out of college.

All and all, I think it all depends on who the Texans new coaching staff see as keepers. Who on the defensive side of the ball they think transitions well into there defense and who doesn't. Who are some guys that are on the short list to find new jobs or be gone from the team in the next
year?

Without P-Buc our DB would be horrible because I think he could be a decent #2 CB for us with the new coaching staff, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

thunderkyss
05-15-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't really know. I mean there are players I would be interested in, but who knows what this front office is thinking.

He's not asking about your front office. He's asking you. for the moment, you are the N.O. Saints virtual front office........... we represent the Texans.......

lay it out there, what do you want??

& if Kastofsna is around, he can play Miami........ let us know what You'd like out of Miami.

dat_boy_yec
05-15-2006, 11:36 AM

All and all, I think it all depends on who the Texans new coaching staff see as keepers. Who on the defensive side of the ball they think transitions well into there defense and who doesn't. Who are some guys that are on the short list to find new jobs or be gone from the team in the next year?

Smith and Greenwood I think are keepers on this team. Greenwood because he's a Will LB and we are thin at that position and Smith because he's young and a cap hit. However we do have an excess of d-tackles so I can't say its out of the question that Payne could be on the chopping block. Sorry, T.J. is also in the same situation as Smith. Polk I think would be a great trade. He is a great player, but he's also depth on our team. He would have a better chance of making an impact on your team much like Bennet would on the Texans.

Hmm. As far as people I could see on the short list. Theres Kailee Wong who's coming off and injury. Great player, but one we could get by without at his cap hit. Babin or Peek depending on who performs better guess that eliminates them from trades for now though. Mark Bruener his a blocking tight end and I think Kubiak brought in more tight ends so he could do as he saw fit with him. I'm sure there are others, but right now those in addition to the ones I mentioned in the first paragraph are the only ones I could really see involved in a trade.

El Tejano
05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Is this still happening or no?

Sportsfan
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Thats what i'm wondering too. I'm not gonna go through 14 pages to find the answer. LOL

O.G.
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Thats what i'm wondering too. I'm not gonna go through 14 pages to find the answer. LOL

I already did that for you and still didn't get an answer. Lol

BigSaint8050
05-16-2006, 01:51 AM

Talk out of saints camp had died down a bit, but with the rookie mini camp the last 3 days it was expected to. If talks are going to pick back up it will happen between now and the 1st of june prior to TC dates.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-16-2006, 02:45 AM
I already did that for you and still didn't get an answer. Lol
One that you started on Moulds thread went over 2000 post(which was fun but..). Hope, this time it will be a short one please FO make decision on Bennett.

O.G.
05-16-2006, 08:02 AM
One that you started on Moulds thread went over 2000 post(which was fun but..). Hope, this time it will be a short one please FO make decision on Bennett.

Lol, true. I believe we will know by the end of this week, early next week on Bennett.

Ibar_Harry
05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Lol, true. I believe we will know by the end of this week, early next week on Bennett.

The catalyst for this trade or acquistion will be DD's perceived health. It appears that DD's health is now is question. I have gone out on a limb predicting 13-3 and certainly a healthy DD is part of the equation. If not, it really means someone like Lundy has to step and be what DD was to us in his draft year. Lundy is a lot like DD and has played in the zone scheme. He gets a lot of yards and finds the end zone, but he's not flashy. That's very similar to DD.

TEXANRED
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
The catalyst for this trade or acquistion will be DD's perceived health. It appears that DD's health is now is question. I have gone out on a limb predicting 13-3 and certainly a healthy DD is part of the equation. If not, it really means someone like Lundy has to step and be what DD was to us in his draft year. Lundy is a lot like DD and has played in the zone scheme. He gets a lot of yards and finds the end zone, but he's not flashy. That's very similar to DD.
We still have Morency. Who knows, he might be our Larry Johnson.

Morency, Lundy, Smith. These three should be able to shoulder the load until DD gets healthy.

Ibar_Harry
05-16-2006, 11:56 AM
We still have Morency. Who knows, he might be our Larry Johnson.

Morency, Lundy, Smith. These three should be able to shoulder the load until DD gets healthy.

Some say Morency doesn't have DD's vision. I don't really disagree with you, but I think the talks are a result of DD's health. I don't think we would be interested otherwise.

thunderkyss
05-16-2006, 01:56 PM
. It appears that DD's health is now is question.

Where is this coming from??

Do we have any reason to believe he won't be ready by TC??

I haven't heard anything....

gsbtxn
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Where is this coming from??

Do we have any reason to believe he won't be ready by TC??

I haven't heard anything....

DD is one of only 3 players not participating in OTAs due to health issues. The others are Wade and Wong.

Sportsfan
05-16-2006, 02:23 PM
DD is one of only 3 players not participating in OTAs due to health issues. The others are Wade and Wong.

Yeah i read that in the Chronic. Something w/his knee i think it said. Wong is out too which i don't like to hear either.

F-minus67
05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Is this trade dead? Because it seems like there hasn't been any actual news on it in a few days.

thunderkyss
05-16-2006, 03:33 PM

but we knew he wouldn't be ready now, didn't we.... he got hurt what the two weeks before the end of the season??

I'm saying everyone is acting like he's doing worse than suspected, but I thought he was right on schedule.....

BigSaint8050
05-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Is this trade dead? Because it seems like there hasn't been any actual news on it in a few days.

Like I said, which is burried in this post somewhere, the Saints had rookie mini camp this weekend. They were most likely too busy with the rookies to really pursue anything else. I expect the talks to heat back up this week and if something is going to be done expect if prior to June 1st (Saints start training camp on June 2).

BigSaint8050
05-16-2006, 10:43 PM
From John Clayton's web blog posted today

Teams lining up for Bennettposted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Add the Kansas City Chiefs to the teams interested in trading for Saints halfback Michael Bennett. Bennett signed with the Saints to be Deuce McAllister's backup, but those plans went the other way when the Saints drafted Reggie Bush. The Texans are the main team trying to acquire Bennett, but the Saints have initiated talks with the Chiefs, who aren't 100 percent sure if Priest Holmes will play this year because of neck problems.

texan279
05-17-2006, 12:34 AM
but we knew he wouldn't be ready now, didn't we.... he got hurt what the two weeks before the end of the season??

I'm saying everyone is acting like he's doing worse than suspected, but I thought he was right on schedule.....

His surgery was in December, it shouldn't take 5 months to recover from arthroscopic knee surgery. My 80 year old grandmother had a knee replacement and was fully recovered in two months. I also had one of my knees scoped in high school because of cartilage and tissue damage and was playing football again in a little under two months.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 08:17 AM
From John Clayton's web blog posted today

Teams lining up for Bennettposted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Add the Kansas City Chiefs to the teams interested in trading for Saints halfback Michael Bennett. Bennett signed with the Saints to be Deuce McAllister's backup, but those plans went the other way when the Saints drafted Reggie Bush. The Texans are the main team trying to acquire Bennett, but the Saints have initiated talks with the Chiefs, who aren't 100 percent sure if Priest Holmes will play this year because of neck problems.

KC doesn't need Michael Bennett as much as we do. You have Priest Holmes on the bench! Michael Bennett is getting traded because he doesn't want to be a #3 back! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

dirty steve
05-17-2006, 10:07 AM
KC doesn't need Michael Bennett as much as we do. You have Priest Holmes on the bench! Michael Bennett is getting traded because he doesn't want to be a #3 back! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

holmes is far from healthy. injury issues caused him to miss a good chunk of last year.

Mr. White
05-17-2006, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Priest Holmes retires sometime during the preseason.

kcwilson
05-17-2006, 01:04 PM
His surgery was in December, it shouldn't take 5 months to recover from arthroscopic knee surgery. My 80 year old grandmother had a knee replacement and was fully recovered in two months. I also had one of my knees scoped in high school because of cartilage and tissue damage and was playing football again in a little under two months.

Can someone look into trading for Texan279's 80 year old grandmother? Sounds like her knee is better than most of our RB's or C's.

What is weird is that when people have commented about DDavis' no one has characterized it as 'recovering' from knee surgery. It is being characterized as lingering or longer than expected. Doesn't seem to have the same notation/spin of 'normal part of the recovery process etc.'.

Porky
05-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Don't expect Bennett to be a Texan, but another transaction could take place soon. I can't say any more than that. :poker:

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Don't expect Bennett to be a Texan, but another transaction could take place soon. I can't say any more than that. :poker:

Do you know something we don't?

Malloy
05-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Did she have to play Pro Football after those two months? :)

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 02:13 PM

What the hell is wrong with you. Don't tease us like that. Now I'm gonna spend the rest of the day wondering what you could be talking about. When I wake up in a hospital bed after having suffered from an anurism the doctors will tell me that the other white meat is bad for me. :crutch:

Malloy
05-17-2006, 02:14 PM

damn you Porky, can't say more... how about you.. hint it... mimic it... draw it.... email "it" to me ? :)

Porky
05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm already regretting this. Please know I wasn't trying to stir up a hornet's nest. Not sure what I was thinking. I can't say anything more. Must learn to keep mouth shut. :brickwall

Mr. White
05-17-2006, 02:18 PM

I'll take a stab at this one...the receiver from the Packers. I saw on the MB that he was at OTA yesterday and is about to sign. I think I even heard that on 610 earlier today.

Can't remember his name now. I'll look for it.

Lucky
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I'll take a stab at this one...the receiver from the Packers. I saw on the MB that he was at OTA yesterday and is about to sign. I think I even heard that on 610 earlier today.

Can't remember his name now. I'll look for it.
Terrence Murphy, former A&M wideout.

Runner
05-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Maurice Clarrett

joke

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
McCallister, Bush. Ok, what division are they in. Is it a blockbuster deal or a what the deal? Is it a burner, bruiser, or balanced back? Is it a back at all? Damn you Porky! Answer me, don't you care about other's well being? What about our peace of mind?

Porky
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
McCallister, Bush. Ok, what division are they in. Is it a blockbuster deal or a what the deal? Is it a burner, bruiser, or balanced back? Is it a back at all? Damn you Porky! Answer me, don't you care about other's well being? What about our peace of mind?

This is exactly why I shouldn't say anything. Not only does it get people all jumpy, but it makes me look like I am spilling the beans to my source, which means I get no juicy stuff in the future, and alienate him or her, which is not my intention. He or she has been very good to me in the past, and I have always honored the keep my mouth shut policy, and will do so forever more into the future. My apoligies to all. I slipped. I am really sorry about this. This is my lesson that I must say nothing at all, and not a just a little, or people will expect details, which I am not about to provide. It's not T. Murphy is all I will say and nothing is 100% assured until it's announced. We will all find out soon enough.

Hulk75
05-17-2006, 02:40 PM
This is exactly why I shouldn't say anything. Not only does it get people all jumpy, but it makes me look like I am spilling the beans to my source, which means I get no juicy stuff in the future, and alienate him or her, which is not my intention. He or she has been very good to me in the past, and I have always honored the keep my mouth shut policy, and will do so forever more into the future. My apoligies to all. I slipped. I am really sorry about this. This is my lesson that I must say nothing at all, and not a just a little, or people will expect details, which I am not about to provide. It's not T. Murphy is all I will say and nothing is 100% assured until it's announced. We will all find out soon enough.
Maybe your right Porky.
The Superbowl with the Bucs and Raiders was one of my favorites, who was the HB for the Bucs at that time?

Mr. White
05-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Terrence Murphy, former A&M wideout.

If anybody cares...

# 85 Terrence Murphy
Position: WR
Height: 6-1
Weight: 196
Born: 12/15/1982
College: Texas A&M
NFL Experience: 1

Year....Team.......................G..GS...No...Ya rds...Avg....Lg...TD...20+....40+....FD
2005...Green Bay Packers.......3...0.....5......36.....7.2....12... ..0....0........0.......3

Thanks, Lucky.

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Sorry, if I came across like that. I was just joking. If they make another deal we'll know when it happens. If it does happen I just hope it's a good deal.

BigBull17
05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I would love to get Micheal Pittman on this team. He is a decent runner and a nice reciever out of the back field.

Mr. White
05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe your right Porky.
The Superbowl with the Bucs and Raiders was one of my favorites, who was the HB for the Bucs at that time?

Gotcha....

whiskeyrbl
05-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Damn that would be the "PITTS" in a good way

O.G.
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM

So Porky, what quality backs do you think will come available after June 1st Cuts? DB's as well?

O.G.
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I would love to get Micheal Pittman on this team. He is a decent runner and a nice reciever out of the back field.

He would be a nice addition, how old is Pitts now?

Hulk75
05-17-2006, 02:57 PM
He would be a nice addition, how old is Pitts now?
I think he is entering his 9th? if I am not mistaken.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 03:01 PM
If we're looking for a RB and looking for someone who might be available I'm going to go on a limb and pray that I'm right even though I'm hoping way to much...Priest Holmes? I don't think he'll leave KC though...

I'm also glad you said acquisition instead of signing, as there are no really impact RBs in free agency as of now...

Thanks Porky, I'm really excited right now and looking forward to who it is! :francis:

Mr. White
05-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Nothing to worry about, Porky....

You never said anything except an acquisition was coming....

El Tejano
05-17-2006, 03:30 PM
How far along do you mean when you say future?

Porky
05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe your right Porky.

Dude, I don't know who you are, and why you would have information. I shouldn't have said anything at all. I wish you had done the same. It's irresponsible, and frankly I am ashamed that I said anything at all. Discretion is the better part of valor.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Wow, this last hour has been interesting. We still don't know what we gave up for the player so not everything is out there.

El Tejano
05-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Dude, I don't know who you are, and why you would have information. I shouldn't have said anything at all. I wish you had done the same. It's irresponsible, and frankly I am ashamed that I said anything at all. Discretion is the better part of valor.
That's pretty much all I need to know. Thanks. Now I wish I knew what we gave up for it.

Does anyone think that Mathis is excluded from being traded? And no, I didn't hear anything. Just wondering.

Porky
05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
ok..I'll give it up. We are signing Porky. Welcome aboard. I hear you are a one cut runner who can play in a zone blocking scheme.

You got me. I can usually cut twice with the ginzu set.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Does anyone think that Mathis is excluded from being traded? And no, I didn't hear anything. Just wondering.

Honestly, I can see him maybe getting traded. He has his attitude problems and some people say he has a long way to go to be a real NFL WR, and we are loaded with WRs. If he leaves we move Buchanon to KR and have 5 WRs on the roster (Johnson, Moulds, Walter, Armstrong, and Anderson)

El Tejano
05-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I believe that would also leave room for some of these RBs that have returned kicks before.

I don't want to trade the guy but this offseason has me guessing like crazy.

Runner
05-17-2006, 03:57 PM

I think his price/performance ratio is too much in the Texans favor right now to trade him.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm not going to play the guessing game. I'd like to talk about the player we are getting but I don't want to ruin it for the people who don't know. I just need to get away from the computer for a couple hours and come back and then hopefully we can talk and the trade is complete.

EDIT: I bet you it's either Peek (mentioned before as what we might have offered NO) or Orr (raised his stock a bunch last year and we drafted DeMeco)

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
This Bennett rumor has had legs for a while, but it's still early in the off-season so it may be a while before we know what we fully bring to camp.

I thought this was actually happening and that it was not like the rumor of us getting Bennett + Bennett has not been mentioned w/ our name next to him since Friday. But I didn't hear anything about this guy getting traded before this...

El Tejano
05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm not going to play the guessing game. I'd like to talk about the player we are getting but I don't want to ruin it for the people who don't know. I just need to get away from the computer for a couple hours and come back and then hopefully we can talk and the trade is complete.

EDIT: I bet you it's either Peek (mentioned before as what we might have offered NO) or Orr (raised his stock a bunch last year and we drafted DeMeco)
When do you think we should be expecting you back!!!!!!!

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 04:07 PM
When do you think we should be expecting you back!!!!!!!

I'll leave in a couple of hours for a couple of hours :francis:

Malloy
05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm already regretting this. Please know I wasn't trying to stir up a hornet's nest. Not sure what I was thinking. I can't say anything more. Must learn to keep mouth shut. :brickwall

That's just waaaay too late now Porky, you're stuck, gotta give us something, we're hurting here!! :)

[Edit] OMG, Capers is coming back is he not ???... Am I getting too speculative here ? :)

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
That's just waaaay too late now Porky, you're stuck, gotta give us something, we're hurting here!! :)

[Edit] OMG, Capers is coming back is he not ???... Am I getting too speculative here ? :)

No, we've got to limp the rest of the way to the finish line :crutch:

El Tejano
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM
No, we've got to limp the rest of the way to the finish line :crutch:
Limp? Is that a clue? :poker:

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Limp? Is that a clue? :poker:

:lightbulb: it could be if you want it to :hmmm:

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 05:36 PM
How do you guys (hulk & Porky) find this out way before the media? I wish I had/was an inside source w/ the team :spy:

JAXwithanX
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Well the only thing i know is that if the trade Porky and Hulk have aluded to becomes true.....i'm not that excited....i would MUCH rather have Bennett. no question. So i wouldn't be too excited for those who haven't caught on.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Well the only thing i know is that if the trade Porky and Hulk have aluded to becomes true.....i'm not that excited....i would MUCH rather have Bennett. no question. So i wouldn't be too excited for those who haven't caught on.

I agree 100%. I like Bennett a lot and I have warmed up to him a lot since we have been rumored to be trying to trade for him. I like his character and attitude a lot. Michael Pittman has played nothing better than a backup his whole career, even though he did make the playoffs, and has never rushed over 1,000 yards. Atleast Bennett can say that. The only reason Bennett hasn't been able to do better and isn't a starter in the league right now is because he is constantly hurt. Pittman got sat because a rookie beat him out for the starting job and he has never been anything special. He doesn't start because he's not good enough to anymore.

Hulk75
05-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I agree 100%. I like Bennett a lot and I have warmed up to him a lot since we have been rumored to be trying to trade for him. I like his character and attitude a lot. Michael Pittman has played nothing better than a backup his whole career, even though he did make the playoffs, and has never rushed over 1,000 yards. Atleast Bennett can say that. The only reason Bennett hasn't been able to do better and isn't a starter in the league right now is because he is constantly hurt. Pittman got sat because a rookie beat him out for the starting job and he has never been anything special. He doesn't start because he's not good enough to anymore.
And should have been the Superbowl MVP the way he ran that game.
He is not injury prone but does like to get in trouble with the law, so some sort of bagage with either one.

TexanFan881
05-17-2006, 09:40 PM
And should have been the Superbowl MVP the way he ran that game.
He is not injury prone but does like to get in trouble with the law, so some sort of bagage with either one.

Just because he had a good game when it counted doesn't make his whole career amazing. In the last 5 years he has only had 6 100 yard games, and he's played in almost every single one of them.

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Ok, this whole speculation is really irking me. Between Pittman and Bennet, Bennet is the better choice. What would Pittman bring that A. Smith doesn't bring. Bennet has speed, something I've yet to see from any of the backs currently on the roster. Pittman has trouble with the law? I didn't know that but if it's true than he doesn't need to be here. He got beaten out by a rookie last yr. I say we need to give our rookies more opportunities. I wouldn't mind Bennet, but Pittman doesn't really bring anything to the team we don't already have. As far as speculation goes I hope this whole Pittman business is just a smokescreen and they have something worthwhile in the works.

JAXwithanX
05-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok, this whole speculation is really irking me. Between Pittman and Bennet, Bennet is the better choice. What would Pittman bring that A. Smith doesn't bring. Bennet has speed, something I've yet to see from any of the backs currently on the roster. Pittman has trouble with the law? I didn't know that but if it's true than he doesn't need to be here. He got beaten out by a rookie last yr. I say we need to give our rookies more opportunities. I wouldn't mind Bennet, but Pittman doesn't really bring anything to the team we don't already have. As far as speculation goes I hope this whole Pittman business is just a smokescreen and they have something worthwhile in the works.

I don't care that Pittman got beat out by a rookie....that rookie was a top 5 pick and a really good back. In other words, its not something that really counts against him considering we aren't looking for a starter. I felt good with our RB's as they were but when i heard about a possible Bennett trade it intrigued me because of his speed and the potential packages and plays he brings to the table. Pittman isn't going to bring much other than a couple of more legs and a ridiculously massive upperbody (guys is freaking jacked for a RB). I like the guy and everything....but i don't think he adds much to our team and run game. There aren't many players I'd imagine other teams could want from us, that i'd be willing to give up just for another set of legs.

It would be one thing if we were signing him....because maybe he is a good guy to have around the club house (and yes he still is a serviceable back). But trading for him brings in the possibility of us giving up someone I don't necessarily agree with. Although at this point you just have to trust that the staff is trading off a player they are sure we won't utilize much....considering i don't see Pittman being utilized much unless an injury occurs.

Hulk75
05-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Just because he had a good game when it counted doesn't make his whole career amazing. In the last 5 years he has only had 6 100 yard games, and he's played in almost every single one of them.
Case closed............Superbowl, he played the best he ever played.
Maybe I am a little bias because I watched him play in College every Saturday, he was a beast, the guy could play LB if he wanted to............

mexican_texan
05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
http://femmefan.com/site/images/lookerspics/lookers4/Michael_Pittman_thumb.jpg

Hulk75
05-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Paint him Green..........

Mr. White
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Definitely a bad looking dude. He'd bring some good leadership.

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 11:17 PM

I'm not high on this guy. If we get him I'll live with it (I have to now don't I). I just don't really think that he brings much to the team to warrant a trade.

MorKnolle
05-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I would not expect the Texans to make much of an offer for either of these guys. It sounds like we have a pretty solid-looking group of RBs, and Domanick Davis hasn't even practiced yet. From what I've heard it sounds like Morency has looked good, Antowain Smith has looked pretty nice, Wali Lundy has been unexpetedly solid, Jameel Cook and Quadtrine Hill have looked like great fits for Kubiak's system as FBs, and we have a couple other guys in there battling for a roster spot too.

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I would not expect the Texans to make much of an offer for either of these guys. It sounds like we have a pretty solid-looking group of RBs, and Domanick Davis hasn't even practiced yet. From what I've heard it sounds like Morency has looked good, Antowain Smith has looked pretty nice, Wali Lundy has been unexpetedly solid, Jameel Cook and Quadtrine Hill have looked like great fits for Kubiak's system as FBs, and we have a couple other guys in there battling for a roster spot too.

Oh oh, what about Damien Rhodes. Any news on him, I've heard he's supposed to be a sleeper, have you seen or heard anything about him so far. So Hill is penciled in as FB or is he running plays in both HB and FB capacity?

MorKnolle
05-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Oh oh, what about Damien Rhodes. Any news on him, I've heard he's supposed to be a sleeper, have you seen or heard anything about him so far. So Hill is penciled in as FB or is he running plays in both HB and FB capacity?

Hill and Cook have been FBs so far, Rhodes and Chris Taylor have also seen limited action thusfar, nothing special out of either of them so I doubt either Rhodes or Taylor will make the final roster.

dat_boy_yec
05-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Hill and Cook have been FBs so far, Rhodes and Chris Taylor have also seen limited action thusfar, nothing special out of either of them so I doubt either Rhodes or Taylor will make the final roster.

Oh ok. I had forgotten about Taylor. Maybe they make the practice squad. Thanx for the info.

TexanBorn51
05-18-2006, 12:12 AM
I second the motion what and where about is Damien Rhodes, Syracuse...he's not mentioned much so whaaaassup...and hear and read good things about him. He was the one with the weak Ol in front of him and still scored some yardage I believe.

Ibar_Harry
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM

Your comments on Lundy don't surprise me. I think he could be another DD. Kubiak really liked him and he has been in the zone scheme in college. He is very good at finding the end zone. He is not flashy, but he will get the yards like Kubiak wants. He apparently has excellent vision and is good at reading the holes.

texan279
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Did she have to play Pro Football after those two months? :)

No, but the average recovery time for a knee scope is 4-8 weeks depending on what is repaired. It's been 5 months for Dom now.

aj.
05-18-2006, 08:39 AM
DD's knee is not right. You could see it in the way he talked about it... very evasive answers where most guys five months after a scope would typically be talking with much more confidence, if not doing more than just standing around watching.

There is probably more to the Bennett/Pittman talk than we realize. And it's probably not worthwhile to rush to any judgement about the backfield - or any position for that matter - after two practices.

So why didn't we draft Bush, knowing that we had a gimpy RB? Maybe because they felt they could cobble together a backfield that could do the job (because they weren't going to run a Bush-centric offense anyway) plus pick up a potentially dominating DE in the process.

thunderkyss
05-18-2006, 08:46 AM

That's crazy...
Michael Pittman+ Zone Blocking = Terrell Davis
Michael Bennett + Zone Blocking = Clinton Portis

Not saying either will be the case, but those are best case scenarios.

How did Droughns do before/after Denver??

The dudes tough, got power...... & he's got speed....... what can we do with that?? hmmm.......

Who's starting in Minnesota now?? is it some 6 time probowler?? did they even have a starter when they let bennett go??

nunusguy
05-18-2006, 09:20 AM
So why didn't we draft Bush, knowing that we had a gimpy RB? Maybe because they felt they could cobble together a backfield that could do the job (because they weren't going to run a Bush-centric offense anyway) plus pick up a potentially dominating DE in the process.
Apparently they weren't concerned enough about R.Backs on April 29 to trade back into the 20s to get a top tier back like DeAngelo Williams or Joseph Addai, as was rumored they might do. Fact is of course, they did draft a RB that weekend until the 6th round. Not much of a sense of
urgency there.

beerlover
05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
DD's knee is not right.

this was the 2nd most compelling reason to draft Bush, the 1st being he was the BPA, a gamebreaking playmaker.

because they felt they could cobble together a backfield that could do the job (because they weren't going to run a Bush-centric offense anyway) plus pick up a potentially dominating DE in the process.

exactly. RB by committee & franchise DE :lightbulb:

Errant Hothy
05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Apparently they weren't concerned enough about R.Backs on April 29 to trade back into the 20s to get a top tier back like DeAngelo Williams or Joseph Addai, as was rumored they might do. Fact is of course, they did draft a RB that weekend until the 6th round. Not much of a sense of
urgency there.

Actually rumor had it they were trying to trade back up, for whom...who knows. But blame Buffalo and that oddball draft of theirs as to why it ddin't happen. Atleast thats what the rumor mill says.

michaelm
05-18-2006, 10:22 AM
If you want production in the passing game, Pittman is the man for you. The guy can be very productive as a reciever out of the backfield.
My problem is that he tried to run down his wife with his car (SUV?).
I don't remember how that case turned out for him legally, but it was an issue as recently as 2 seasons ago... charges were filed...

*edit*

In 2004 Pittman rushed for 926 yds/ 7 tds, and had 391 yds and 3 tds recieving in only 13 games played. That's not too shabby for a guy who wouldn't be expected to be the starter. I would take a guy with those numbers, but the character issues are a worry.

Ibar_Harry
05-18-2006, 10:36 AM
If you want production in the passing game, Pittman is the man for you. The guy can be very productive as a reciever out of the backfield.
My problem is that he tried to run down his wife with his car (SUV?).
I don't remember how that case turned out for him legally, but it was an issue as recently as 2 seasons ago... charges were filed...

*edit*

In 2004 Pittman rushed for 926 yds/ 7 tds, and had 391 yds and 3 tds recieving in only 13 games played. That's not too shabby for a guy who wouldn't be expected to be the starter. I would take a guy with those numbers, but the character issues are a worry.

I believe Pittman played at Fresno State. He was a hard worker at that time, but these character issues arose later. They are legimate concerns. He was a punishing type of runner. I don't know if he would fit the zone scheme.

The young man Lundy we picked up might turn out to be another DD or better in the zone scheme. I think DD is rapidly becoming a problem. If there was a problem with the draft, it was taking the young defensive man at number 2. It was rumored that they wanted to move up from the number 2 to the 1st round to take one of the RB's available, but didn't do so. Again, there are a lot of reason for both scenarios. That move would have affected other things they did so who knows what was best. We did what we did and we simply have to go forward from here and see what happens.

I think we have all felt that DD at least gave us an above average back, but it looks like the injury goul has kicked in once again. This might result in Kubiak having to switch tactics and become a Pass and then Run team. Our strength right now lies with our WR core, not our RB core.

El Tejano
05-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Was he the starter when he did all of this? Gruden's offense is a passing offense too.

michaelm
05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Was he the starter when he did all of this? Gruden's offense is a passing offense too.

I believe he started 13 out of 13 games he played in, but only had 219 carries w/ 4.2 ypc avg. I looked it up and the other Tampa RBs had around 120 carries combined, so he was not used as much as most backs who are carrying a full time load. He also averaged 9.5 yds per catch which seems to be decent out of the back field.

kcwilson
05-18-2006, 12:45 PM

Looks like Bonds was traded to the Bucs.

kcwilson
05-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Ok, not to try and read too much into the whole thing...

Is this
(a) Porky revealing that the Pittman revelation is correct?... or
(b) Porky trying to throw us all of track by conceding to a revelation in hopes that we all start running around like chickens with our heads cut off in another direction?

I am hoping for (b) because it is all too predictable that we would all take the bait so easily.

Is Pittman that great of a acquisition? I wouldn't think so especially if we were in the running for Bennett.

dwilt72
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Wonder if they would consider trading Reggie Bush for Mario Williams instead? :drool:

MAN I WISH! I don't understand why the Texans would want Bennett. He has speed but NO moves! All he has is straight-ahead speed. I think he is highly overrated.

Hulk75
05-18-2006, 02:05 PM
MAN I WISH! I don't understand why the Texans would want Bennett. He has speed but NO moves! All he has is straight-ahead speed. I think he is highly overrated.
Kubiak wants a guy that can make one cut and run, Tatum Bell does not have the best jukes either.
That ia also why Vernond could be introuble, too many jukes. He better show that he can make a cut and go or he might be gone.

Meloy
05-18-2006, 02:23 PM
As I understand no movement expected until after Friday?

TexanFan881
05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
They're both good #2 RBs but we already have an Michael Pittman on our team. Michael Bennett adds a new demension to our offense and a change of pace. Why trade and give up a player/pick for a player that we already basically have? Bennett = :drool: Pittman = :brickwall

real
05-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Overated by whom....Who thinks highly of the guy??? I think he is rated exactly about where he should be....I give him a d+ or c-

cuppacoffee
05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Overated by whom....Who thinks highly of the guy??? I think he is rated exactly about where he should be....I give him a d+ or c-

I would rather have a clone of that guy in your avatar.

He gets an A++ in my book.

:coffee:

TexanFan881
05-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I just wanted to say that there has been updates on Pittman yet, there hasn't even been anything at all said about his even being discussed in any trade yet. I also don't get it with the fact he just signed a new 3 year deal with them. But maybe that's just what I want to think...after going through the Eric Moulds drama and the "we're close to signing Reggie Bush" saga, I don't believe anything until it happens.

TEXANRED
05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, I am lost. I tried going back four pages to see when it turned into Texans in trade talks with Pittman, but all i kept reading was bickering.

Honestly I would much rather have Pitt then Bennet, that is just me. I think is quicker than DD has the same explosiveness and power when going head to head and his feet like DD are always moving. I dont think he has the same kind of hands though.

In my opinion DD and Pitt would make a pretty good one two tandem.

JAXwithanX
05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
That's crazy...
Michael Pittman+ Zone Blocking = Terrell Davis
Michael Bennett + Zone Blocking = Clinton Portis

Not saying either will be the case, but those are best case scenarios.

lol wait a second here....there is no way you could ever say Pittman is a Terrell Davis....not even on Pittman's best day. they aren't even the same type of back. Not to mention Pittman isn't getting any better he is slowing down....so there is no 'best case scenario'....best cases scenarios are reserved for players you hoping pan out or evolve into something. Pittman has already evolved into a really dependable bruising back....and de-evolved into a slower less productive bruising back. And i never in any way said Bennett was a Clinton Portis....i made a thread talking about how DD was a better RB and I have been the most vocal supporter of the fact Bennett would be coming in situationally unless DD wasn't ready to go, in other words....he is and won't ever be a Portis. The fact is that this team, seems like in my eyes, is being built to take advantage of a Bennett coming in on certain plays than a Pittman. And no matter what i don't think it can be argued who is the better player right now. Pittman is a good back and a great back-up to have....but i would much rather have Bennett.

Once again, if we were signing him this would be different....i would be thrilled. But the possibility of a trade makes me hesitant because i'd imagine we might be giving up someone i think would help our team more....but who knows. Regardless in a situation like this....i know the coaching staff is making the best decision....cause they won't be trading away a piece of the team they really were planning on using for a back-up RB.

Brandon420tx
05-18-2006, 10:27 PM
I think the trades going to fall through, I like our team as is anyway.

JAXwithanX
05-18-2006, 10:29 PM

like i said....dude is sick. could definitely soften up them linebackers.

Pittman isn't going to bring much other than a couple of more legs and a ridiculously massive upperbody (guys is freaking jacked for a RB).

swtbound07
05-19-2006, 01:09 AM
holy heck that dude is ripped

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 07:27 AM
This article says we're still in talks with Bennett:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3874260.html

While the Texans wait for Davis, they continue to try to strengthen the depth behind him. Talks continue with the New Orleans Saints with the hopes of working out a trade for running back Michael Bennett.

I think the whole Pittman thing was false, and I don't think we'd still be trying to get Bennett if we were going to get Pittman...

BigSaint8050
05-19-2006, 09:04 AM
As someone that has got to watch Pittman on a consistant basis, you don't want him. He has no ballance at all, and usually falls down after the 1st contact.

Also all those muscles are fine, but he has a very small lower body. That contributes to his lack of ballance (almost like he is top heavy). Also has had problems in the past with the law. Also he is not quick at all (ran something like a 4.55 when he came out). If you are looking for someone that brings something DD doesn't, Pittman isn't the guy.

El Tejano
05-19-2006, 09:32 AM
But but but.....Porky said there was another transaction.

titan hater
05-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I would rather have a clone of that guy in your avatar.

He gets an A++ in my book.

:coffee:

Who would'nt?

Porky
05-19-2006, 10:45 AM
But but but.....Porky said there was another transaction.

A source that I trust reported to me a different transaction was likely to be made soon, and the Bennett deal was on life support at best. However, nothing is written in stone until it happens. I have received no update since. Frankly, I will say this. Although the transaction reported to me would be a decent acquisation, I would rather have Bennett, but that is just me, and others would probably view it differently.

Trapped
05-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Pittman and David Boston were on the same team together right in Arizona?

Those guys are riduculously ripped, too bad they are not as good as they look.

Pittman is not that good, i think u guys are overvaluing him here on this message board.

wrestler4life
05-19-2006, 01:17 PM
well, if he is anything like david botston, we dont want him!

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Looks like it's pretty much down to us, KC, and Miami. I think we can easily get him if we really want him.

Hulk75
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Pittman is not that good, i think u guys are overvaluing him here on this message board.
Really just from seeing you type that tells me you have never seen the guy play.
He most have done something good to be in the league for going on 10 years, 5 or 6 with the Tampa Bay Bucs, were he won a Superbowl and was the starter for that Superbowl Chapionship team.

Hulk75
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Really just from seeing you type that tells me you have never seen the guy play.
He most have done something good to be in the league for going on 10 years, 5 or 6 with the Tampa Bay Bucs, were he won a Superbowl and was the starter for that Superbowl Chapionship team.

JAXwithanX
05-19-2006, 04:57 PM

Saying someone isn't that good isn't saying he didn't have a good career. the fact is that Pittman never was a top 15 back in the league and obviously he isn't going to get there now. he has always been reliable and solid....but never great or anything. he also isn't really dynamic enough as a runner to throw off a defense with him in the game. in other words....while DD is a really balanced back....i think everyone here is in an agreement that it would be nice to have someone who would throw all that off....a guy with a lot of speed or shiftiness.

But regardless just because he was the starter on a Super Bowl team....come on....do we really need to start naming starters on Super Bowl teams who don't mean anything. there are QB's that have won a SB and are forgettable....and a littany of RB's.

kcwilson
05-19-2006, 05:01 PM
*cough* *cough* Timmy Smith *cough* *cough*

JAXwithanX
05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
*cough* *cough* Timmy Smith *cough* *cough*

lol i actually start looking up some RB's because i was bored and there were even more than i thought. definitely the team getting to and winning the SB in a lot of situations.....or the QB carrying them.

kcwilson
05-19-2006, 05:19 PM
lol i actually start looking up some RB's because i was bored and there were even more than i thought. definitely the team getting to and winning the SB in a lot of situations.....or the QB carrying them.

Plus, Antowain Smith was the starter in a Super Bowl, so if that is the case, we should be happy with him and not look for someone else.

Pittman is ok, Smith is ok, but neither really changes the make up of the running game. DD or Morency have to be able to be big play oriented, DD is somewhat, and Morency hasn't proven anything.

We all know Bennett can rip one off. I think you have to resepect that when he is on the field.

DominickDavisFan76
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Wait, I havent been on in a while, so im a little behind, but did we take michael bennett or not?

TexanFan881
05-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Wait, I havent been on in a while, so im a little behind, but did we take michael bennett or not?

nope not yet, and there's a few more teams involved in the trade talks for Bennett as well. No progress has really been reported since last week.

DominickDavisFan76
05-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks, for catching me up on things

Mario is coming! :mario:

DominickDavisFan76
05-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Wait I havent heard anything about signing him, and him and dominick davis fit the denver system from last year, so are we going to sign him or do we have to much cap room spent on RBs to waste our time?

BigSaint8050
05-20-2006, 11:17 AM
From the latest Len Pasquarelli article about the situation.

Add the Chiefs to the teams discussing a possible trade for New Orleans reserve tailback Michael Bennett, who was signed as an unrestricted free agent in mid-March to be the primary backup to Deuce McAllister. But Bennett slid to No. 3 on the depth chart when Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush fell into the Saints' laps in the draft.

Chiefs officials remain uncertain about the return of Priest Holmes from head and neck injuries that limited him to seven games in 2005 -- most observers feel it's no better than 50-50 that he'll be back for a 10th season in the league -- and Kansas City wouldn't have much experience behind Larry Johnson if he opts to retire. The five other tailbacks on the roster -- former Denver backup Quentin Griffin, journeyman Dee Brown and rookies McKenzi Smith, Derrick Ross and De'Arrius Howard -- have a total of 286 carries, 1,037 yards and six touchdowns. By Holmes' past standards, that would be a modest season.

Houston general manager Charley Casserly seems intent on acquiring Bennett, perhaps as his last personnel move before he officially exits on June 1. The Miami Dolphins, who don't want to surrender a draft choice for Bennett and don't have any veteran players in whom New Orleans is interested, remain on the fringes. If he can stay healthy, Bennett could still be a terrific change-of-pace back for someone; he still has plenty of long speed and is capable of the big play. And for any team that acquires him, he won't be too expensive. The two-year deal he signed with New Orleans included a $1 million signing bonus, but the Saints are on the hook for that. His base salaries are $700,000 for this season and $1.2 million for 2007.

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/19/qa_with_herm_edwardsmc4/
Q: What do you think about Saints RB Bennett as a player?

EDWARDS: “I think he’s a good player, but we’ve got good players here. I think sometimes we lose sight of the players that we have here. I’m going to coach the players that we have here and that are my obligation. Let’s get the players here to play up to their potential and play at a consistent level where we can be a playoff team.”

Doesn't sound like Herman is that interested in getting him...hopefully.

dwilt72
05-20-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/19/qa_with_herm_edwardsmc4/

Doesn't sound like Herman is that interested in getting him...hopefully.

I don't think we should be either. He wasn't that great when he was healthy, fast, but had NO moves. Now he is recovering from a knee injury from 2004. He was tentative last year. I wish they would look somewhere else for a RB.

TexanFan881
05-20-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think we should be either. He wasn't that great when he was healthy, fast, but had NO moves. Now he is recovering from a knee injury from 2004. He was tentative last year. I wish they would look somewhere else for a RB.

With the new zone blocking scheme he can just blast through the wide open holes :)

edo783
05-20-2006, 04:05 PM
While Bennet doesn't have "Moves", it would seem to me that he would fit a "one cut and go" scheme real well. One cut through the line and then out runs the LBs. If healthy, he could prosper in that sort of system.

thunderkyss
05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Plus, Antowain Smith was the starter in a Super Bowl, so if that is the case, we should be happy with him and not look for someone else.

I just saw the NFL game of the week the other day on NFL network. Buffalo vs Tennessee, AFC championship game, from 1999?? I think.

Antowain Smith looked like Terrell Davis to me.... he had a really good game.

Sam Cowart also played, but he pretty much went unnoticed. Everybody else was beating on Eddie George, and McNair was running on everybody, making them look stupid......

That was a good game.

Smith, Pitman, DD....... I think they're all about the same, speed wise. & for the most part, I think what Kubiak is looking for is the next Terrell Davis. Big Strong, Fast enough, he'll punish you through the first half, come second half, come the 4th qtr...... defenses'll be getting mad everytime they see them on the field. Physically DD isn't the same as Smith, Pitman, and TD, but running style........ I think he fits.

Bennett, Kubiak is hoping could be more like Clinton Portis..... more speed/power, than moves...

infantrycak
05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes Smith played in the SB. And the result was that despite a very cheap contract, he was immediately let go and they went looking for another RB. I happened to meet him here in Houston about two months later out at Sam's Boat. He is solid and can provide experience/leadership (if he so desires) but he is a role player at this point.

NoBullTexan
05-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah but Portis doesn't keep getting hurt all the time.

I, too, am of the opinion that Bennett would be a waste of time and money.

aj.
05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Wait until June 1 when they can move something like $5.5 million of Walker's dead money to next year's cap.

BigSaint8050
05-21-2006, 04:21 AM
SAINTS STILL TRYING TO DEAL BENNETT: The Saints continue to talk with teams about trading veteran tailback Michael Bennett. The 27-year-old just came to New Orleans this year in free agency but got demoted when the team drafted Bush -- a similarly-skilled speed back.

Reportedly, the Houston Texans are making the biggest push for Bennett (5-foot-9, 209 pounds), and the Saints have also talked with Miami and Kansas City. Bennett signed a two-year deal with a reported signing bonus near $1 million, but his salary is an affordable $700,000 this season and $1.2 million next season.

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/inde...19305732350.xml

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-21-2006, 04:56 AM
SAINTS STILL TRYING TO DEAL BENNETT: The Saints continue to talk with teams about trading veteran tailback Michael Bennett. The 27-year-old just came to New Orleans this year in free agency but got demoted when the team drafted Bush -- a similarly-skilled speed back.

Reportedly, the Houston Texans are making the biggest push for Bennett (5-foot-9, 209 pounds), and the Saints have also talked with Miami and Kansas City. Bennett signed a two-year deal with a reported signing bonus near $1 million, but his salary is an affordable $700,000 this season and $1.2 million next season.

Maybe they should get Ray Nagin to handle the negotiating for them. (dripping with sarcasm) He always seems to have a cool-headed, diplomatic, and smart approach to things.

MorKnolle
05-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Interesting how they call Bush a "simlarly-skilled speed back" compared to Bennett.

edo783
05-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Interesting how they call Bush a "simlarly-skilled speed back" compared to Bennett.

Bennett doesn't have anything resembling Bush's moves, but his combine speed was actually a tad faster. IMO, IF, IF, IF he can stay healthy, he should fair well in a one cut and go type of offense.

aj.
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
iirc Bennett was one time a Big 10 sprint/hurdles champion. He was a serious breakaway threat back when.....but that was before a knee surgery...

jacquescas
05-22-2006, 10:43 AM
i'd loove to see him in this system.

El Tejano
05-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Any word on this or the "other" transaction that should've happend on Friday?

O.G.
05-22-2006, 11:24 AM

I second that question. I believe we should hear something on the Bennett Situation sometime this week. :spy:

Mr. White
05-22-2006, 11:29 AM

...only if a cut (Ragone) counts as a transaction.

TexanFan881
05-23-2006, 04:13 PM
More news on this:
http://saints.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/super-saints-weekly-203-2/
Rumor Whirlwind
Free agent addition, running back Michael Bennett, remains the center of numerous trade rumors. With several teams needing running back depth or even possibly somebody to contend for the starting spot, the Saints have the luxury of waiting for the right offer to come along or simply hold onto their back for insurance. Some teams who are rumored to be in discussions are the Texans, Dolphins, Chiefs, and recently the 49ers and Browns names have surfaced.
Another name that continues to surface is safety Dwight Smith, who is still apparently being discussed in a few deals. Smith is coming off his first season with the Saints in which he appeared to have a solid year. However, with the new additions that the Saints have made, he has become expendable and could be dealt anytime before the pre-season begins. Once again though, don’t expect the Saints merely to give him away unless the offered deal is in their price range.

El Tejano
05-23-2006, 04:55 PM
If we can get a safety out of all this we need to make the deal. I just don't know what to part with.

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2006, 07:14 PM
If we can get a safety out of all this we need to make the deal. I just don't know what to part with.

-------------------------------------

Third round draft pick in 2001 for the Bucs. Versatility Plus.........He has shown solid performance with the Bucs and N.O. as cornerback, free safety, and strong safety.............and throughout this has remained uninjured!

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=251

TexanFan881
05-23-2006, 07:16 PM
-------------------------------------

Third round draft pick in 2001 for the Bucs. Versatility Plus.........He has shown solid performance with the Bucs and N.O. as cornerback, free safety, and strong safety.............and throughout this has remained uninjured!

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=251

I have a feeling if he comes here he it will be as a safety, but once the season starts if P-Buc still can't tackle (which is defainitely a possibility) maybe he moves over to corner.

Sportsfan
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Anything new w/this deal?

TexanFan881
05-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Anything new w/this deal?

Nope, there hasn't been anything new for quite awhile. Look at maybe the beginning of June after June 1st cuts for something to happen considering how long it's been so far.

El Tejano
05-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Blah, just logged on and got all happy as soon as I saw this thread at the top. Oh well. I still would like to get that safety.

JAXwithanX
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Blah, just logged on and got all happy as soon as I saw this thread at the top. Oh well. I still would like to get that safety.

I know what you mean.

Maybe they are waiting to see if the god-sent RB is going to sign in a respectable time. Might be running a little low on RB's to take snaps.

edo783
05-25-2006, 09:14 PM
IMaybe they are waiting to see if the god-sent RB is going to sign in a respectable time. Might be running a little low on RB's to take snaps.

Good point. Could be a long wait. A RB who is ALL about getting the money vs. an owner who is all about NOT giving money. Could get interesting.

El Tejano
05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Well it is almost June so maybe we can hear something today or this weekend.

Could it be because Porky let the cat out of the bag that we are going to all be punished now with no deal?

J/K Porky.

the wonger need food
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Probably won't be a lot of player movement until after the June 1 cuts. Things should get somewhat interesting (again) after that.

kcwilson
05-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Probably won't be a lot of player movement until after the June 1 cuts. Things should get somewhat interesting (again) after that.

Probably won't be a lot of player movement until after we get some resolution at the GM spot. Things will definitely get interesting (again) after that.

texanfan2002114
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Probably won't be a lot of player movement until after we get some resolution at the GM spot. Things will definitely get interesting (again) after that.

CC is still the GM until June 1st. So I don't think team is waiting for a new GM. I truly believe things will heat up after that June 1st date with the cuts.

El Tejano
05-26-2006, 03:18 PM
I think a good approach is to see what is available because it makes NO come down on their offer. My real reason for wanting to make the trade is to obtain the safety they are offering. However I am sure something of the two will show up in the cuts.

Mr. White
05-26-2006, 03:22 PM
We are probably waiting to see if any backs get the axe on June 1 before we make any moves....or have a lowball offer to some team who may be considering cutting one of their older backs who may not be in some teams future plans. No reason to jump right now...since it is still May.

Does this mean that you think the Bennett trade is dead? I've been thinking so for the past couple of weeks.

dat_boy_yec
05-26-2006, 08:41 PM
If this deal doesn't happen before June 1st I don't think it will happen. Reason A is that after the cuts there won't be much need for Bennet or whatever players NO has. (not like we really need them anyways.) and reason B is June 1st is Casserly's last day in office. I don't think anyone will just come in and pick up where he left off. I think when Casserly's done so is any hope of getting Bennett, or whatever transaction's been worked on.

DominickDavisFan76
05-27-2006, 12:35 PM
If this deal doesn't happen before June 1st I don't think it will happen. Reason A is that after the cuts there won't be much need for Bennet or whatever players NO has. (not like we really need them anyways.) and reason B is June 1st is Casserly's last day in office. I don't think anyone will just come in and pick up where he left off. I think when Casserly's done so is any hope of getting Bennett, or whatever transaction's been worked on.

Its gonna happen because spending over (i believe) 60 million dollars on three backs, and only 2 of them are going to play is too much.

TexanFan881
05-27-2006, 12:53 PM
It will happen because if Kubiak feels he needs Bennett (which it seems like he would like to have him) than whoever is the GM will get it done for him as I think I heard something about the fact that Kubes might have a little more power than the new GM. If the GM wants to get along with Kubes, he will get him who he feels he needs for his team to win.

Texas
05-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Priest is the backup...Larry Johnson starts...

TexanFan881
05-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Priest is the backup...Larry Johnson starts...

Yup. Coach Edwards already told Larry Johnson he will be the start if/if not Priest comes back.

JAXwithanX
05-28-2006, 06:26 AM
priest is coming back from a major neck problem and hes 33 year old

im not the only one herm agrees with me http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-ichaelennettoontobea&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

I don't think anyone was questioning that evaluation....just the fact you made it sort of confusing by not mentioning Larry Johnson at all.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2006, 10:45 PM
NFL.com reports the ongoing quest of 4 teams for Bennett. Sounds like the Saints impression of Bennett's value is not shared:

"A Saints official said Tuesday that four teams have made trade offers for New Orleans running back Michael Bennett. The official declined to name any of the potential suitors, but speculation has been that the list includes the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs. But the Saints continue to insist they will not just give away Bennett, who signed with New Orleans this offseason. Without the proper trade, the Saints say they will not make it."

edo783
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
I think they are being offered something like a 6th or 7th rounder by us and others and are looking for a late first day or early second day pick for him, probably because they would be eating a fairly large amount of bonus. Doubt that they get that, but I could see us giving a 5th for him. Based on a likely record of around 6-10, we would be picking around the 10-15th spot, so not to bad of a value for NO.

JAXwithanX
05-31-2006, 01:58 AM
yeah, we'll just "give" him away because you guys drive such a hard bargain. lol.

Na. We thought you were having enough 'hard bargaining' on your teams' hands as it is. Good luck with all that.

BigSaint8050
06-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Dolphins | Team leading the charge for M. Bennett
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 18:45:48 -0700

According to John Czarnecki, of FOXSports.com, the Miami Dolphins appear to be the front-runner to make a trade with the New Orleans Saints for expendable RB Michael Bennett.

Texans86
06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Dolphins | Team leading the charge for M. Bennett
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 18:45:48 -0700

According to John Czarnecki, of FOXSports.com, the Miami Dolphins appear to be the front-runner to make a trade with the New Orleans Saints for expendable RB Michael Bennett.

Thanks for the update. You're awesome, even if we don't end up doing business.

cj5776
06-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't think I've ever seen such an average rb cause so much drama!!!

dat_boy_yec
06-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I just can't see him coming to the Texans right now as we have no GM. Also I read in previous posts something about T. Jones. Are the Bears really thinking about moving him? I'm really skeptical considering he got them 1300 yds. last season. Also I think we have enough RB candidates to eliminate the necessity for any types of trades for RBs. I can see us picking some more up, but not trading for them.

TexanFan881
06-01-2006, 10:44 PM
If we get Bennett I will be really excited. If we don't get Benentt, it's not a big deal. We've got Davis, Smith, Morency, and Lundy, and Chris Taylor who will probably be on the practice squad and looked good in some of the photos (thanks texansbullpen) but you can't really tell how good players are doing just by pictures and pictures can be decieving. Taylor and Lundy seem like good fits for the system, but Morency seems like he doesn't fit good. As a #3 RB that doesn't count as much as if he was a #2, like he would have been if Antowain Smith hadn't signed here. I would be upset if we don't get Bennett and we didn't get Smith, but we have a solid backup in Smith and we don't need 2 #2 RBs, even though it would be a nice luxury.

cj5776
06-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Can you really call smith a #2? To me he is a situtional back and not someone that can carry the load is DD goes down. It does not look like Bennit is coming here but I really think Morency, since his style is different, would have been out. But we will see, but 4 RBs are rare, unless one is FB, but you never know.

run-david-run
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Im thinking its going to be DD as the feature back, with Morency as the #2 per say, but Smith will probably get more carries then Morency, unless DD gets hurt. Overall I think this is a good move and we dont really need Bennet.

MorKnolle
06-02-2006, 01:22 AM
I just can't see him coming to the Texans right now as we have no GM. Also I read in previous posts something about T. Jones. Are the Bears really thinking about moving him? I'm really skeptical considering he got them 1300 yds. last season. Also I think we have enough RB candidates to eliminate the necessity for any types of trades for RBs. I can see us picking some more up, but not trading for them.

Kubiak can never have too many RBs, at least before the final roster cutdowns are made. I agree though I don't see them trading for any more. I think Davis, Morency, and Smith are a solid trio, and Lundy has looked pretty nice so far (gotten a lot of 1st team reps with Davis and Morency seeing limited time with injuries the last three weeks). I think Jameel Cook and Quadtrine Hill could also see some decent use, probably more on special teams and in the passing game than running the ball. I doubt Taylor or Rhodes make the final roster.

cj5776
06-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Kubiak can never have too many RBs, at least before the final roster cutdowns are made. I agree though I don't see them trading for any more. I think Davis, Morency, and Smith are a solid trio, and Lundy has looked pretty nice so far (gotten a lot of 1st team reps with Davis and Morency seeing limited time with injuries the last three weeks). I think Jameel Cook and Quadtrine Hill could also see some decent use, probably more on special teams and in the passing game than running the ball. I doubt Taylor or Rhodes make the final roster.

How can you say Davis, Morency, and Smith are a nice trio??? Davis needs a dependable backup which Smith can not handle and Morency is not a good fit for the offense and is having a tough time with the one cut style!!!! That is why so many backs are being talked about. But yes, T. Jones will still be a Bear, the reports of him being unhappy with contract are not true. He is working out with the team. Q Hill is an undrafted rookie and you are ok with him being the #2 fullback?????

mexican_texan
06-02-2006, 02:44 AM
Q Hill is an undrafted rookie and you are ok with him being the #2 fullback?????
Well, its not like fullbacks are drafted often. Hill was one of the better FBs in college football.

TEXANRED
06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
I would love Jones but he doesn't want to share time with one back, so I can't see him wanting to share time with a stable of backs.

Shockermgd
06-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I dont understand why you people have no faith in DD? The only reason he gets injured is because the OLine blows. But hopefully they can fix that. who else do you know besides LT and Barry Sanders that can get 1000 yds with a sub par or just plain bad Oline? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this. I am a Huge DD fan and hes doing a great job 4.6 yds per carry and 962 yds rushing last year in only what 9 games.. He is our future.

wicked_wayz
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I dont understand why you people have no faith in DD? The only reason he gets injured is because the OLine blows. But hopefully they can fix that. who else do you know besides LT and Barry Sanders that can get 1000 yds with a sub par or just plain bad Oline? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this. I am a Huge DD fan and hes doing a great job 4.6 yds per carry and 962 yds rushing last year in only what 9 games.. He is our future.

walter payton was one but yeah i agree with you DD is a great RB imagine what he could do with the new zone blocking scheme:drool: with a improve O line under sherman DD aint going to get knocked around as much

dalemurphy
06-02-2006, 11:07 AM

I also like DD. However, be careful what statistics you use. The yard per carry number was inflated last year because of the high number of runs/ draw plays he ran on passing situations. It's easy to grab 5 yards a pop in the 3rd quarter of a game you are losing by 30 points. When healthy, I think Davis is an above average NFL starting RB- and that's not bad at all.

AFD1717
06-02-2006, 11:49 AM

I'm a Davis fan too, but I don't think you can say his injury problems are entirely the o-line's fault. He had injury problems in college too which is why he was a fourth round pick and Toefield's backup at LSU. The new scheme (and more importantly the new players) will help him stay healthy, but it is foolish not to have very solid backup RBs in this system. Getting good backs to put around him will prolong his career and ultimately make him more effective.

cj5776
06-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Well, its not like fullbacks are drafted often. Hill was one of the better FBs in college football.

I would prefer him to be on the practice squad for a year instead of being right behind Cook at the very beginning. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad he is with the Texans, but having another true fb with nfl expereince would be ideal.

As far as DD, he is the MAN!!! But... the Texans needs a better group of backs behind him instead of a jorneyman shortyardage back and a inexperienced back who may or may not fit the system.

Brandon420tx
06-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Actually, I wanna put guys on the field that the other teams don't really know much about and don't talk about (Like say Hill and oh we'll go with Rhodes this time) The other teams don't really expect much from them and BAM >.> first down? TD? loss of yards? I want a team that makes other teams have to remember around 18 names ... and respect all of them, its basically a pick your poison ball game if that happens.

cj5776
06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Actually, I wanna put guys on the field that the other teams don't really know much about...

I want a team that makes other teams have to remember around 18 names and respect all of them, its basically a pick your poison ball game.

The thing to remeber is unless a trade happens, (which looks unilkely), there is only one spot up for grabs. Four of the five RB/FB spot appears to be taken, DD, Smith, Morency, Cook. The best news is that with a lot of the TEs, like Hape, could be FB backups. Cook might be the only true FB on the roster. So then the 5th spot would be a either a fb/rb tweener or a rb that could return kicks, like Lundy or whoever.

There is a reason why Hape did not play in 05 and only got an invite after the Mathis injury.

GoBlue
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Any insight to who the player was that was offered and rebuffed?[/QUOTE]

According to Len Pasquarelli, Morlon Greenwood may be heading to the Big Easy in a trade for Bennett...

for espn insider today...

With Bennett's agent, Pat Dye Jr., having departed on Friday for a vacation in Italy, it seems no deal is imminent. Fact is, with Deuce McAllister still recovering from 2005 knee surgery, and negotiations with first-rounder Reggie Bush yet to commence, the Saints might hold onto Bennett a bit longer, until they resolve the status of their top two tailbacks. It's believed that the Texans have offered the Saints a series of players, principally linebackers, for Bennett and have been rebuffed with every name they have dangled. League sources suggested one of the linebackers that Houston proposed at one point was Morlon Greenwood, signed by the Texans last spring to a five-year, $22.5 million deal that was considerably overpriced and included $7 million in bonuses.

GoBlue
06-02-2006, 03:27 PM
According to Len Pasquarelli, we have offered Greenwood and his fat contract to New Orleans ofr Bennett...

from espn insider...

• A fourth team has discussed with New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis the possibility of acquiring tailback Michael Bennett in a trade, and an educated guess is it's the Indianapolis Colts who have joined Kansas City, Miami and Houston as suitors for the five-year veteran.

If that's the case, there is some irony, since the Colts were contacted early on in free agency, long before Bennett signed a two-year, $3 million contract with the Saints, and showed only cursory interest in the former Minnesota Vikings first-rounder. The Colts saw Edgerrin James defect in free agency, of course, and drafted Joseph Addai in the first round as his eventual replacement. For now, though, Dominic Rhodes, at least nominally, tops the depth chart. But Rhodes, who rushed for 1,104 yards as an undrafted free agent rookie in 2001, still has to prove that he can handle the workload. In his three healthy seasons since 2001 -- Rhodes missed the entire 2002 campaign with a torn anterior cruciate ligament -- he has averaged 176.3 yards. In fairness to Rhodes, he didn't get many carries, 43.3 per season, with James as the starter. But the Colts might feel that Bennett, whose uncle, linebacker Tony Bennett, once played in Indianapolis (1994-97), offers an intriguing long-speed dimension.

With Bennett's agent, Pat Dye Jr., having departed on Friday for a vacation in Italy, it seems no deal is imminent. Fact is, with Deuce McAllister still recovering from 2005 knee surgery, and negotiations with first-rounder Reggie Bush yet to commence, the Saints might hold onto Bennett a bit longer, until they resolve the status of their top two tailbacks. It's believed that the Texans have offered the Saints a series of players, principally linebackers, for Bennett and have been rebuffed with every name they have dangled. League sources suggested one of the linebackers that Houston proposed at one point was Morlon Greenwood, signed by the Texans last spring to a five-year, $22.5 million deal that was considerably overpriced and included $7 million in bonuses.

Doom Capers
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM
man, they must really want Bennett

Brandon420tx
06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
According to Len Pasquarelli, we have offered Greenwood and his fat contract to New Orleans ofr Bennett...

from espn insider...

• A fourth team has discussed with New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis the possibility of acquiring tailback Michael Bennett in a trade, and an educated guess is it's the Indianapolis Colts who have joined Kansas City, Miami and Houston as suitors for the five-year veteran.

If that's the case, there is some irony, since the Colts were contacted early on in free agency, long before Bennett signed a two-year, $3 million contract with the Saints, and showed only cursory interest in the former Minnesota Vikings first-rounder. The Colts saw Edgerrin James defect in free agency, of course, and drafted Joseph Addai in the first round as his eventual replacement. For now, though, Dominic Rhodes, at least nominally, tops the depth chart. But Rhodes, who rushed for 1,104 yards as an undrafted free agent rookie in 2001, still has to prove that he can handle the workload. In his three healthy seasons since 2001 -- Rhodes missed the entire 2002 campaign with a torn anterior cruciate ligament -- he has averaged 176.3 yards. In fairness to Rhodes, he didn't get many carries, 43.3 per season, with James as the starter. But the Colts might feel that Bennett, whose uncle, linebacker Tony Bennett, once played in Indianapolis (1994-97), offers an intriguing long-speed dimension.

We're not getting Micheal Bennet, at least not in a trade, you can quote me on it and throw it in my face if it does happen.

Meloy
06-02-2006, 03:32 PM
I heard that another offer had been made by Texans but did not hear who. If Greenwood goes, we still take a heavy hit cap wise. Does it even out if Saints pay most of Bennett's salary?

El Tejano
06-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Does anyone think that GM from the Saints may have been sent over here to find out what we are wanting to do about the Bennett deal or take a look at Greenwood in practice, or am I overestimating the Saints?

Mr. White
06-02-2006, 04:56 PM
We're not getting Micheal Bennet, at least not in a trade, you can quote me on it and throw it in my face if it does happen.

I hope you're right if for no other reason than to kill this thread. We keep coming across it thinking something's happening.

When we look at it, it turns out it's usually just other people wondering the same thing.

:poker:

TexanFan881
06-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Does anyone think that GM from the Saints may have been sent over here to find out what we are wanting to do about the Bennett deal or take a look at Greenwood in practice, or am I overestimating the Saints?

That's a good point. I never thought about it like that.

I think Greenwood is a lot to offer for a #2 RB. Maybe we don't need him that much. We would have Ryans, Cowart, Orr at LB. I think that's decent, but I was looking forward to seeing Greenwood improve this year playing at his natural position. We should offer them Kailee Wong and Mark Bruener, they need a good TE and we could be releasing both of them.

AFD1717
06-02-2006, 07:06 PM

I think that is probably reading too much into the situation, but maybe I'm naive.

cj5776
06-02-2006, 11:46 PM
We should offer them Kailee Wong and Mark Bruener, they need a good TE and we could be releasing both of them.

Greenwood would be solid at the weakside, the same side as Ryans. I guess Ryans is a better fit and that is why he was drafted. Getting a way to get rid of Greenwood is the only way to get Ryans playing time.

Wong is still injured and Bruener is not productive enough to be trade bait, even if he is a darn good blocking te.

I have never liked the MAD trio (Morency is unproven and may not be able to adjust to the one cut style, Antaiwn Smith is a journeymen shortyardage back and not a #2, DD is the man, but... still needs a solid #2)

TexanFan881
06-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Greenwood would be solid at the weakside, the same side as Ryans. I guess Ryans is a better fit and that is why he was drafted. Getting a way to get rid of Greenwood is the only way to get Ryans playing time.

Wong is still injured and Bruener is not productive enough to be trade bait, even if he is a darn good blocking te.

I have never liked the MAD trio (Morency is unproven and may not be able to adjust to the one cut style, Antaiwn Smith is a journeymen shortyardage back and not a #2, DD is the man, but... still needs a solid #2)

Ryans can play any of the 3 LB positions if needed, and if we keep Greenwood I think we'll still start Greenwood and Ryans with Cowart in the middle or put Ryans in the Middle with Greenwood and Orr on the outsides.

Texans34Life
06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Looks like he's staying with the Saints....

Saints | M. Bennett sticking around; but for how long?
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 07:40:09 -0700

Larry Holder, of the Sun Herald, reports New Orleans Saints RB Michael Bennett appears to be staying with the Saints. The team signed the former Minnesota Vikings running back before they drafted rookie RB Reggie Bush. Numerous reports had the Saints attempting to deal Bennett. "He's with us 100 percent," Payton said. "We're going full-speed ahead."

Ibar_Harry
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Looks like he's staying with the Saints....

Saints | M. Bennett sticking around; but for how long?
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 07:40:09 -0700

Larry Holder, of the Sun Herald, reports New Orleans Saints RB Michael Bennett appears to be staying with the Saints. The team signed the former Minnesota Vikings running back before they drafted rookie RB Reggie Bush. Numerous reports had the Saints attempting to deal Bennett. "He's with us 100 percent," Payton said. "We're going full-speed ahead."

This guy was picked up in anticipation of no Reggie. This is a message to Reggie I do believe. NO is saying they can go on without Reggie. It has been real quiet on the Reggie injury front.

MorKnolle
06-03-2006, 02:23 PM
This guy was picked up in anticipation of no Reggie. This is a message to Reggie I do believe. NO is saying they can go on without Reggie. It has been real quiet on the Reggie injury front.

I thought NFL Live yesterday was saying Reggie finally participated in most of a practice at yesterday's mini camp, although it has definitely been quiet on his contract situation.

Ibar_Harry
06-03-2006, 03:18 PM
I thought NFL Live yesterday was saying Reggie finally participated in most of a practice at yesterday's mini camp, although it has definitely been quiet on his contract situation.

Sorry, if that's true I missed it.

Brandon420tx
06-03-2006, 03:49 PM

... If the trade completely falls through, does that mean I can throw it back in other peoples faces? Not that I will :shoot:

edo783
06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
At some point, probably shortly after they have Bush under contract, they will peddal Bennet. Until Bush is signed, they will likely hang on to him in case Bush is a hold out and they need another back.

TexanFan881
06-03-2006, 05:51 PM
At some point, probably shortly after they have Bush under contract, they will peddal Bennet. Until Bush is signed, they will likely hang on to him in case Bush is a hold out and they need another back.

Good point. Maybe they hold the fact that they've got Michael Bennett against Bush and signing a contract? Use him as bait to lower his contract like everyone thought we were doing with him when we were negotiating with Mario. Then once the deal is done Bennett is worth nothing to them and they trade him away. I can see that.

BigSaint8050
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Sorry, if that's true I missed it.

Reggie has been at all the recent practices, 100% participation. He only tweaked a hamstring what three weeks ago in rookie mini camp, come on now.

CloakNNNdagger
06-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Reggie has been at all the recent practices, 100% participation. He only tweaked a hamstring what three weeks ago in rookie mini camp, come on now.

Before you get too excited. I'll repeat a short segment of a post I placed on another section of this message board:

__________________________________________________ _______________

Approximately 20% of symptomatic hamstring injuries are free of positive MRI findings. Once there are positive MRI findings (as was the case for Bush), even more minor ones, prognosis changes. In professional sports these hamstring injuries have a high incidence of recurrence which makes it one of the most frustrating for players, coaches, treating doctors and physiotherapists. A recurrence rate of approximately 30% can be expected over a 2 year period for athletes such as football, soccer and rugby players, as well as sprinters.

bpergrem3
06-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I hope Bush isn't as hampered by his hamstring like Roy Williams is. Williams would be a top 5 receiver in the NFL if it wasn't for his repeated hamstring injuries.

edo783
06-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I hope Bush isn't as hampered by his hamstring like Roy Williams is. Williams would be a top 5 receiver in the NFL if it wasn't for his repeated hamstring injuries.

I think that is exactly what CND is getting at.

TexanFan881
06-04-2006, 07:18 PM
With getting Rick Smith, if Kubes really wants Bennett, we will get him, there's no doubt about that.

BigSaint8050
06-04-2006, 09:49 PM

Once there are positive MRI findings (as was the case for Bush)

Bush's MRI came back negative.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Bush's MRI came back negative.

Bush's MRI was not negative. It was positive for a mild strain graded as what is referred to as a first-degree strain. This is the result of stretching of the musculotendinous unit. It involves tearing of only a few of the tendon or muscle fibers. A lesser injury to the second or third degree strain, but nevertheless capable of resulting in a chronic problem in an athlete who is going to subject the muscle-tendon group to repeated "trauma".........as opposed to your run of the mill couch potato.

texanfan2002114
06-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Bush's MRI was not negative. It was positive for a mild strain graded as what is referred to as a first-degree strain. This is the result of stretching of the musculotendinous unit. It involves tearing of only a few of the tendon or muscle fibers. A lesser injury to the second or third degree strain, but nevertheless capable of resulting in a chronic problem in an athlete who is going to subject the muscle-tendon group to repeated "trauma".........as opposed to your run of the mill couch potato.

Do you have a link? Just asking

Ibar_Harry
06-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Show off! Oh, just kidding. Its nice to have a professional opinion on something like this. I enjoy your thoughts on these issues.

Thanks for sharing this opinion with us.

infantrycak
06-04-2006, 11:01 PM
In case you haven't caught on, Cloak is an MD. He has missed some time from the MB but is an old hand and particularly on these issues should be given some credit.

Glad to see you back CnD.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
My inside source shared this information
There are several wire similar releases eluding to this effect.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-eggieushamstringtrai&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

AFD1717
06-05-2006, 09:20 AM
In Richard Justice's Blog on Chron.com, he predicts Bennett will be our starting RB in Game 1.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/06/10_things_i_may.html

Texans34Life
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
In Richard Justice's Blog on Chron.com, he predicts Bennett will be our starting RB in Game 1.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/06/10_things_i_may.html

It's Richard Justice who reported it. Take his crap with a grain of salt. :hunter: :brickwall :loser

AFD1717
06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
It's Richard Justice who reported it. Take his crap with a grain of salt. :hunter: :brickwall :loser

To be fair, he's not reporting - he's speculating. Of course, many would say that is all he does.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=AFD1717]In Richard Justice's Blog on Chron.com, he predicts Bennett will be our starting RB in Game 1.

Richard Justice's opinion is dumber than something expected from the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. (Not to mention that the scarecrow has more hair!)

Poor Richard didn't get his running back draft choice and his comments are more transparent than glass. The concept of creditability continues to escape him...

TexanFan881
06-05-2006, 01:12 PM
http://saints.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/super-saints-weekly-205/

The Michael Bennett rumors also continue to swirl involving possible deals with several teams. The selection of Reggie Bush has made Bennett expendable, but don’t be surprised if the Saints hold onto him as long as possible unless the right deal comes along, so that way they continue to have exceptional depth at the running back position even if injuries were to occur.

That will make him a little less getable. :thumbdown

Also that blog with Richard Justice
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

7. Michael Bennett will be the Texans' starting running back in the regular-season opener. Two former first-round picks, Travis Johnson and Jason Babin, will need solid training camps just to make the team.

Someone's low on DD :crazy: If we do get him, the only way he'd start is if DD can't get healthy.

TexanFan881
06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
is this just a speculation that bennett will be the starter for the texans or is this any truth to the story that DD will be traded

As of now there is reported interest from us in Bennett but the with the DD trade thing, there is no official word about that. It could happen, but there's no proof yet and is unlikely. Bennett being the starter for the Texans was just speculation.

AFD1717
06-05-2006, 03:48 PM
is this just a speculation that bennett will be the starter for the texans or is this any truth to the story that DD will be traded

I agree that the only way Bennett is our starter is if DD is more messed up than we think. He's not going anywhere.

CloakNNNdagger
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
A Michael Bennet trade is not going to happen any time soon...if ever. McAllister in his return year is not a sure thing, just coming off of his knee injury. How strong will he be? How much of the load (trauma) can he take. Bush has so many questions surrounding him, least of which is the holdout factor. Yes, Bennet is #3 on the depth chart. However, this could easily change to #1 without a great deal of imagination. And the Saints know that. Stecker is not a big or strong enough back to carry a full time load. McAfee is 38 years old, historically a good special teams player, but not a servicable RB......certainly not at this stage of his career. The last Saints RB is an undrafted A&M converted FB who has spent time on the practice squad. He was not productive in college and certainly has not shown promise to fill Bennett’s shoes. Certainly, I cannot see any trade occurring before Bush is signed and/or training camp is over with. Even so, the Saints may be playing a dangerous game of Russian Roulette by considering a trade for Bennett at all.

U4ikrob
06-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Allright so to sum up its looking more and more like the Bennett deal may take a long while to work out as the NO front office seems to be a bit a more concerned with getting their rookeis signed and a healthy backfield before trading too many more players.

However I just was reading on the NFL site that Thomas Jones of the bears is looking for a trade and is not practicing wit hthe team. Any thougths about maybe picking him up as good RB depth?

Discuss...

real
06-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't know about depth...Id have him as a starter

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't know about depth...Id have him as a starter

I think having him as a starter is being a little greedy. But hopefully if we do get him there will be some good competition.

real
06-06-2006, 05:22 PM
I think having him as a starter is being a little greedy. But hopefully if we do get him there will be some good competition.

didn't he have like 1300 yards last season?? I think he would definitely push DD for the starting spot..In fact I think that would probably be the biggest battle..

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 05:44 PM
didn't he have like 1300 yards last season?? I think he would definitely push DD for the starting spot..In fact I think that would probably be the biggest battle..

That was a few years ago and the last couple he has been battling injuries that have probably made him lose a step or two.

real
06-06-2006, 05:46 PM
That was a few years ago and the last couple he has been battling injuries that have probably made him lose a step or two.

We are talking about thomas jones right?

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
We are talking about thomas jones right?

never mind :tease: I thought we were still talking about Bennett lol

if we got thomas jones that would be amazing

real
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
never mind :tease: I thought we were still talking about Bennett lol

lol...Yeah...in that case everything you said was right on

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 05:54 PM
lol...Yeah...in that case everything you said was right on

You are right about Jones though. He can come in here and compete for a starting job. When DD gets hurt the opposing defenses wouldn't be able to sigh in relief :texflag:

Texans Pride
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
didn't he have like 1300 yards last season?? I think he would definitely push DD for the starting spot..In fact I think that would probably be the biggest battle.

Actually Thomas Jones' LONE 1000+ yard season was last year when he ran for 1335 yards (2005 Bears). The two previous years he ran for 627 (2003 Buccs) and 948 (2004 Bears).

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187390

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Actually Thomas Jones' LONE 1000+ yard season was last year when he ran for 1335 yards (2005 Bears). The two previous years he ran for 627 (2003 Buccs) and 948 (2004 Bears).

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187390

Ya I screwed up I was talking about Bennett because I missed the post about Thomas Jones.

amazingandre
06-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Jones ia asking for a lot of money i dont think we are in that need of a rb to invest in him especially since we passed on BUSh which i def. agreed with anywho we are ok with dd and morency and now smith at short yardage goalline i like our offense i worry abuot defense a little especially the safty positions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U4ikrob
06-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Just a hunch - But I brought him up since hes being cut from the Bears and the market what it is this year for RB's I'm smelling a possible bargain with Thomas Jones. I dont think he will get the big dollars he wants and might be tempted with a fair offer from our team. New start, new coach, focused running game :poker: hmmmm maybe....

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Just a hunch - But I brought him up since hes being cut from the Bears and the market what it is this year for RB's I'm smelling a possible bargain with Thomas Jones. I dont think he will get the big dollars he wants and might be tempted with a fair offer from our team. New start, new coach, focused running game :poker: hmmmm maybe....

Kubes said teams need 2 running backs to have a successful running game and Rick Smith said he is going to get what the coaches need to be successful so I definately wouldn't count him out.

MorKnolle
06-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Allright so to sum up its looking more and more like the Bennett deal may take a long while to work out as the NO front office seems to be a bit a more concerned with getting their rookeis signed and a healthy backfield before trading too many more players.

However I just was reading on the NFL site that Thomas Jones of the bears is looking for a trade and is not practicing wit hthe team. Any thougths about maybe picking him up as good RB depth?

Discuss...

After the year he had last year he's likely going to look to be a starter somewhere, or at least compete for a starting spot and get starter money, and I don't see the Texans guaranteeing either of those to him. If we can get him for a good deal I'm all for it, assuming he fits our system, and I haven't seen enough of him to know if he's that one-move-hit-the-hole-type of RB that Kubiak would be looking for.

CloakNNNdagger
06-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Thomas would definitely give DD a real run for his money. Basically a converted FB, he's averaged 4+ yards per carry throughout his career. With his original contract being what it is, and his obvious disdain for his situation with the Bears, and with the Bears feeling they have a 1st round "star" that can step in, there could be a reasonable deal obtainable.............but then, factor in Rosenhaus and.................??????????????????????

FYI:

Contract Details (Original)

Jones signed a four-year contract with the Bears on March 3, 2004. The deal is worth approximately $10 million and includes a signing bonus of about $3.5 million, according to ESPN.com.

2005 Rankings
Ranks 9th in Total Rushing Yards: 1335
Ranks 10th in Total Rushing Touchdowns: 9
Ranks 9th in Total Rushing Attempts: 314

THE NEWS (Before the Draft)

Running back Thomas Jones fired agent Tom Condon and signed with Drew Rosenhaus last week; perhaps not so coincidentally, his name is being mentioned in trade rumors that would have Jones heading to Indianapolis for a third-round pick in the upcoming draft. Jones has stopped reporting for the Bears' voluntary offseason program, and GM Jerry Angelo did not deny the rumors. "We have not initiated any contact," Angelo told the Chicago Sun Times. "If you hear someone say they have talked to me, it's because they have my number."

Per espn.com insider

Colts not interested in Thomas Jones: Don't look for the Colts to make any moves on Bears halfback Thomas Jones. Though the Colts are in the market for a running back, there would be two things that would sour the Colts on the idea. First, Jones just went through an agent change and the Colts don't want to get involved in a messy contract renegotiation. Second, Jones and Cedric Benson are a great one-two punch in their backfield and the Bears would want maybe two first-day draft choices to part with Jones.

The Bears have received underwhelming trade offers for Thomas Jones but aren't seeking to trade him, according to the Chicago Tribune. Jones is believed to be tired of looking over his shoulder at Cedric Benson, last year's first-round pick. Plus, Benson makes more money than Jones, who gained a career-high 1,335 yards last season.

DominickDavisFan76
06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Some people are talking Thomas Jones, and others are talking about Michael Bennett.

Where do both of them want to end up...
I mean what team is pushing hardest for each player?

JAXwithanX
06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
The only reason anyone would want Bennett over Jones would be for trade compensation issues. No team in the league would choose Bennett over Jones if both were coming for the same price. But a trade this early for Jones is very unlikely when a team is wanting a 1st round pick.....no one really has an idea where that pick is going to be next year and I'm sure would like to weigh that out.

ArlingtonTexan
06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Thomas would definitely give DD a real run for his money. Basically a converted FB, he's averaged 4+ yards per carry throughout his career.

Thomas Jones was top 10 pick out of Virginia. Honestly, until two years ago he was an unqualified bust and probably has NEVER a single snap at in his career at FB.