07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I am excited about 3 things

AJ and what he is doing on the field
Chris Taylor at RB
John Walker

seems good reviews on all 4 days

day 4 and Pbuc gave me some hope

what is your excitement so far?
Every hour I have taken a pic on my phone of the count down to our first pre-season game and sent it to all my friends.

I am sure they have appreciated it.:shades:

Kaiser Toro
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
No news on Carr, I really like that for some reason as in he is doing a lot of little things right. Boring stuff for media, but the real stuff we crave.

PBuch - Stay on him Coaches, give him some love, but keep his agent constantly around as a reminder.

Chris Taylor - My interest is piqued by our on the spot reporters and then echoed in the words of Kubiak. I am taking notes on this kid.

Mario - All day, all night. I may start working on a sack dance. I am thinking a little humpty dance, with a splash of the Jerry Lewis into a robot finish. :mario:

Honoring Earl 34
07-31-2006, 06:23 PM
" I am thinking a little humpty dance, with a splash of the Jerry Lewis into a robot finish. "

You have got to incorporate the Macarena in somewhere . HEEEYYY MARIO !!!

mexican_texan
07-31-2006, 06:37 PM
The way some guys have been talking about Chris Taylor, I've gotten excited about seeing him in the preseason games.

Double Barrel
07-31-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm stoked about our D-line and linebackers. The bits I've been hearing indicate a very aggressive style of D, which is something that'll pump up the crowd as much as scoring on offense.

aj.
07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm expecting big things from the d-line.

Our linebacker corps is a hodgepodge and leaves a lot to be desired.

Double Barrel
07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Our linebacker corps is a hodgepodge and leaves a lot to be desired.

So even with Greenwood, Ryans, Polk, Cowart, and Orr, do they appear to be forming into a cohesive unit from what you've seen?

For some reason(s), I've had higher expectations from our LB corp.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Polk does not get alot of run man. it is more Greenwood, Ryans, Cowart, Orr, Green, Anderson. They are put together, but they fit the system as long as they make tackles. Greenwood, Ryans, and Orr has been quite an impressive cast.

joshri
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
How has John Walker looked so far? I was pretty excited we signed him as an undrafted FA. He projects as a S, correct? We could sure use some help there.

powerfuldragon
07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
DeMeco and the Super Mario Brother.

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Since the beginning of TC I've been mainly interested in a couple things:

1.) The battle for the #2 RB. I've liked Chris Taylor since we picked him up and I'm extremely impressed with how he's been doing. I like the Willie Parker comparison in one of the other threads. Not neccisarly the running style, just being undrafted and seeing what could happen in the first year. I've been real eager to see what unrolls here and it's good to see Morency is starting to adapt to the new system.

2.) The CB battles. I've always thought Chris McKenzie was going to be good for us, and it's nice to see how well he has done so far. It sounds like with Demarcus' injury that he is nearly a lock to make the team. Tramon Williams has pretty much come out of nowhere and I'm impressed with him along with John Walker.

3.) The WR battle. I thought it was going to be AJ, Moulds, Walter, Armstrong, Mathis, and Donovan Morgan. Looks like Mathis won't be on the roster at the beginning of the season with his injury, and two players in Derrick Lewis and Jake Shifino just come out of nowhere. What a pleasant suprise.

I think the big story of training camp is the upsets that have been happening. Who would've thought that Armstrong would have been so low? Tramon who? Chris Taylor is a beast? Who would've guessed. I'm excited to see these guys step up the game and the battle to make the team should be more interesting than ever.

joshri
07-31-2006, 11:21 PM
I thought by know that I would understand the Texans tight end situation but it still baffles me. I understand that we needed more depth at the position if Joppru went down again but it seems now and than that they went a little overboard.

Putzier, Bruener, Daniels and Joppru. Obviously Putzier is a lock to stick. I think its obvious that only three will make the roster. I personally would be royally ticked of Joppru didn't make the team. I think he deserves a chance. I understand Bruener is a good guy and great blocker but I couldn't imagine the team cutting Daniels or Joppru in order to keep him.

aj.
07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Don't forget Aaron Halterman who's having a good camp (better than Joppru) and Patrick Hape who is the H-back/Fullback/TE hybrid. I think Bennie's days are numbered.

mexican_texan
07-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Don't forget Aaron Halterman who's having a good camp (better than Joppru) and Patrick Hape who is the H-back/Fullback/TE hybrid. I think Bennie's days are numbered.
Bennie is a bit rusy, so I think he would benefit from being on the practice squad and get called up if something unfortunate happens to Cook or any of the TEs on the roster.

joshri
07-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I am assuming we take 2 FB's on the active roster. Who is the frontrunner for the second spot behind Jameel Cook?????????

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
I am assuming we take 2 FB's on the active roster. Who is the frontrunner for the second spot behind Jameel Cook?????????

I think we're only keeping one FB in Jameel Cook. And we'll keep probably one TE that can also play FB.

joshri
07-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Ah ok. Sorry for the stupid question.

GuerillaBlack
08-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I am hearing a lot about this Chris Taylor..Who is he? Does he perform like Willie Parker, because if so, the Texans are set with the RB position.

vtech9
08-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I meant to ask about Halterman, because he played the H-Back roll over in NFLEurope. He would move around from FB to TE to HB, and he was pretty successful over there. You say he is having a good camp. How good? Also, how are the other TE/FB's doing? I haven't heard anything about Hape, Bruenner, Cook, or even Daniels. At this point, which of them do you think are locks, and which ones do you think have an appointment with the Turk?

Vinny
08-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Halterman was catching everything thrown to him and looked solid when I was there...he will be tough to cut since he has some good size and moves very well and seems to adjust to the ball well. I need to see him block though.

TexanFan881
08-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Seems to me that unexpected players stepping up to the plate is a common theme for our training camp.

painekiller
08-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Guys stop thinking the practice squad is a safe haven. Players have to clear waivers inorder to get on the squad. Joppru will not clear waivers. I think a case can be made to keep 4 TE, if 2 play special teams and H-back/fullback. I don't see this unit carring as many LBs this year for special teams as last year, so maybe we can steal a spot from there.

touttail
08-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Since the beginning of TC I've been mainly interested in a couple things:

1.) The battle for the #2 RB. I've liked Chris Taylor since we picked him up and I'm extremely impressed with how he's been doing. I like the Willie Parker comparison in one of the other threads. Not neccisarly the running style, just being undrafted and seeing what could happen in the first year. I've been real eager to see what unrolls here and it's good to see Morency is starting to adapt to the new system.

2.) The CB battles. I've always thought Chris McKenzie was going to be good for us, and it's nice to see how well he has done so far. It sounds like with Demarcus' injury that he is nearly a lock to make the team. Tramon Williams has pretty much come out of nowhere and I'm impressed with him along with John Walker.

3.) The WR battle. I thought it was going to be AJ, Moulds, Walter, Armstrong, Mathis, and Donovan Morgan. Looks like Mathis won't be on the roster at the beginning of the season with his injury, and two players in Derrick Lewis and Jake Shifino just come out of nowhere. What a pleasant suprise.

I think the big story of training camp is the upsets that have been happening. Who would've thought that Armstrong would have been so low? Tramon who? Chris Taylor is a beast? Who would've guessed. I'm excited to see these guys step up the game and the battle to make the team should be more interesting than ever.

Chris was an undrafted FA that wants to make this team.

I think having DESIRE is the key to being a successful player. You got to WANT IT !

Bobby 119C :drool:

aj.
08-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Joppru is around 240 lbs now. He's the smallest (lightest)TE in camp and I think his loss of bulk may have marginalized whatever blocking skills he had when he came here.

I haven't watched Halterman block, but he's good in routes, he's the biggest TE in camp - like a younger version of Bruener - and he turned in at least one eye catching play when he blocked a punt and returned it for a TD (for what that's worth) on the opening day of camp.

Bruener, Putzier, Daniels, Hape ..... it seems like those four names resonate with me for some reason ...

...although it will come down to the skills mix they need because some of these guys will double as h-back and fullback types. Hape and Daniels have shown they can multi-task. It will come down to which of the smaller TEs can do the most including special teams.

I haven't noticed Ben Steele

Runner
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Joppru is around 240 lbs now. He's the smallest (lightest)TE in camp and I think his loss of bulk may have marginalized whatever blocking skills he had when he came here.

This is interesting. IIRC, Bennie was a blocking tight end his first three years at Michigan, and his pass catching came on his senior year. Does anyone think Kubiak et. al. projected him at TE/h-back and directed him to come in lighter?

chuckm
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I haven't noticed Ben Steele

610 just reported that he was helped off the field with an apparent leg injury .... that's all they said ....

U4ikrob
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Anyone hear or read anything more on Peek and the injury stuff he had to go in for X-rays for?

TransplantTexan1
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Poor Bennie. Just isn't working out for him. That's too bad.

chuckm
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Poor Bennie. Just isn't working out for him. That's too bad.

That's Ben Steele not Bennie Joppru .... both are TEs though

MorKnolle
08-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Anyone hear or read anything more on Peek and the injury stuff he had to go in for X-rays for?

He is still practicing so apparently whatever it was isn't serious.

Number19
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
This is interesting. IIRC, Bennie was a blocking tight end his first three years at Michigan, and his pass catching came on his senior year. Does anyone think Kubiak et. al. projected him at TE/h-back and directed him to come in lighter?I posed this question back about a month and a half, or two months, ago because he certainly had enough time to put on a few more pounds. Kubiak also made a comment, more recently, that he was impressed with BJ's ability to split the seam and get deep. So dropping the pounds that he did certainly had the benefit of improved speed.

Maybe someone with the opportunity, at training camp, might try to get a handle on what kind of speed Bennie has now, and also in comparison with the others.

Almost any TE is going to be at a weight disadvantage when blocking inline one-on-one. A TE is usually helping out a tackle, or blocking on the second level against a LB. For a TE, blocking effectiveness is usually determined by a willingness to stick your helmet in there and dish out punishment. Bennie describes Michagan players as being "tough guys" and takes pride in living up to this description. So I wouldn't discount this aspect of his game just because he's a little light.

humbleone
08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey Coach C, Jerek, Mork (or anyone else that is fortunate enough to be able to attend practice)... regarding TE's/H personnel:

How is Bruener doing? How much PT is he getting and with which squad? I still think he might be on the bubble more than some people think due to the talent that is now in camp with more upside/years and the cap savings that keeping one of them versus him would bring.

Thanks in advance...this board is lucky to have you guys!

:ok:

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Last hour 610 was discussing Carr's performance of this morning, saying that he looked sharp as was being drilled a lot on passes on the run plays.........consistently strong and accurate. They were also impressed with Sage, stating that he was showing a very strong and accurate arm when he passes on the run. As an aside, they said that Kubiak definitely must have seen something there when he sought his presence as backup.......and that he should make a reliable one. Lastly, Kubiak's feeling was definitely shared by another coach who "knows" QB's..........."Spurier tried everything he could to get him."

TexansSeminole
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I keep reading reports that give Travis credit on a different number of tackles. I've heard or read around 42, 46 and 52, whats the real number?

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 11:16 AM
This wasn't worth a new thread, but Ephram Salaam was interviewed yesterday after practice on 610 am and gushed about Peek and how his pass rushing was going to shock people this year. Of course every year in camp Peek gets good reviews--let's hope this time the outside perspective comes to fruition.

jerek
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
This wasn't worth a new thread, but Ephram Salaam was interviewed yesterday after practice on 610 am and gushed about Peek and how his pass rushing was going to shock people this year. Of course every year in camp Peek gets good reviews--let's hope this time the outside perspective comes to fruition.

This was my first year in camp so I can't compare to previous years, but Peek looks immeasurably better at this point. He is significantly bigger/stronger and I have already praised his move to DE, where his unbridled aggression is a much more positive attribute. That, and the fact that we no longer have to rely on him in coverage. I see him as being our version of Robert Mathis, though Babin is a better every-down DE at this time.

Runner
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Of course every year in camp Peek gets good reviews--let's hope this time the outside perspective comes to fruition.

I wonder why that is. One theory I've heard from previous years is that he goes 100% all the time in practices. The problem is, that 100% is all speed rush. He didn't seem to ever take it down a notch and try to develop new techniques. The result = great practice player, predictable and limited game player.

This was my first year in camp so I can't compare to previous years, but Peek looks immeasurably better at this point.

However, if this camp is truly different maybe the better coaching* has truly improved him this year.

*they are making him develop rather than just repeat, for example

jerek
08-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey Coach C, Jerek, Mork (or anyone else that is fortunate enough to be able to attend practice)... regarding TE's/H personnel:

How is Bruener doing? How much PT is he getting and with which squad? I still think he might be on the bubble more than some people think due to the talent that is now in camp with more upside/years and the cap savings that keeping one of them versus him would bring.

I haven't noticed Bruener much. IIRC he is getting a good few first team reps and is running a few routes, but is more or less shaping up to be the same sort of TE he was last year: a good blocker who will be sparsely used as a receiving target. He obviously isn't fast enough to be a real threat but his hands are sure enough when he can sneak underneath for a small pickup.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM

That's good to hear. He has the talent and the work ethic........the only concern I have is his apparent need for anger management on the field......not of the motivating type of anger, but the uncontrollable fits leading to unnecessary penalties.

jerek
08-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I wonder why that is. One theory I've heard from previous years is that he goes 100% all the time in practices. The problem is, that 100% is all speed rush. He didn't seem to ever take it down a notch and try to develop new techniques. The result = great practice player, predictable and limited game player.

Why fix what ain't broke? Plenty of memorable DEs in this league have relied on one or two basic moves used over and over, combined with the raw athleticism necessary to make them consistently effective. If Peek were our only pass rusher, then yes, I would worry for him. Lining up with Mario, Weaver, and Payne, he could easily achieve 10+ sacks this year, IMO.

Runner
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Why fix what ain't broke?

I think you posted before I finished my post. However, to answer your question: to make him better and even harder to stop.

jerek
08-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I think you posted before I finished my post. However, to answer your question: to make him better and even harder to stop.

I did, and I agree with your addendum. I think Peek respects his coaching this time around and is responding to the teaching. Just watching him in the one-on-one drills, Karm is working with him on developing different moves and I see him putting that into practice during the sessions. And sure, there is nothing wrong with wanting the guy to improve. I just don't view a lack of additional moves at this time (given that I believe he will be very effective with his basic "speed rush") as a viable knock against the guy, if that is what you meant to imply.

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
That's good to hear. He has the talent and the work ethic........the only concern I have is his apparent need for anger management on the field......not of the motivating type of anger, but the uncontrollable fits leading to unnecessary penalties.

JMO but that concern gets overstated a bit--particularly because of the one game where he drew two penalties and Capers went off on him on the sideline. Capers later said he thought both calls were wrong and looking back I agree--Peek was not being uncontrollable and the flags shouldn't have even flown. On one, Peek hit the opposing QB on the field of play driving him out of bounds--absent an illegal type of hit (helmet to helmet, etc.) that shouldn't have been a penalty and in the very same game Carr got hit in the same fashion without a penalty. The other penalty he got was for contact hitting the QB low while Peek was going to the ground--Peek's head was down and he had no way of knowing the ball had just left. Gary Walker did exactly the same thing several time that same day and never got flagged--frankly Walker did that in a lot of games to the point it seemed like he intentionally tried to get in a little extra contact. I guess he got a little veteran benefit of the doubt.

After watching the tape of the Baltimore game, coach Dom Capers said outside linebacker Antwan Peek shouldn't have been called for two personal fouls one each for hitting the quarterback out of bounds and too low that kept alive a Ravens touchdown drive.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3505182.html)

jerek
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
JMO but that concern gets overstated a bit--particularly because of the one game where he drew two penalties and Capers went off on him on the sideline. Capers later said he thought both calls were wrong and looking back I agree--Peek was not being uncontrollable and the flags shouldn't have even flown. On one, Peek hit the opposing QB on the field of play driving him out of bounds--absent an illegal type of hit (helmet to helmet, etc.) that shouldn't have been a penalty and in the very same game Carr got hit in the same fashion without a penalty. The other penalty he got was for contact hitting the QB low while Peek was going to the ground--Peek's head was down and he had no way of knowing the ball had just left. Gary Walker did exactly the same thing several time that same day and never got flagged--frankly Walker did that in a lot of games to the point it seemed like he intentionally tried to get in a little extra contact. I guess he got a little veteran benefit of the doubt.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3505182.html)

Good call and I agree. A bit of an undeserved reputation. Peek plays very aggressively but he drew several unfair, incorrect penalties for it last year, which contributed to that reputation.

Runner
08-02-2006, 11:44 AM
I did, and I agree with your addendum. I think Peek respects his coaching this time around and is responding to the teaching. Just watching him in the one-on-one drills, Karm is working with him on developing different moves and I see him putting that into practice during the sessions. And sure, there is nothing wrong with wanting the guy to improve. I just don't view a lack of additional moves at this time (given that I believe he will be very effective with his basic "speed rush") as a viable knock against the guy, if that is what you meant to imply.

I guess it depends on what you mean by knock.

If you think I mean that by relying on one move he is a poor player, or a bust, or sucks, or has no game impact, or whatever - then no, I wasn't knocking him. I think you've seen enough of my posts that I don't take a binary approach to players (either they are stars or they are busts).

However, if you think it is a knock for me to say he may not have reached his full potential because he has relied on one move and been rather predictable, then yes it was a knock. A little knock. Judging by the coaches spending time with him developing different moves, I guess they want him to add some stuff too.

I'm on record as saying that I think almost all of our previous players who stick around this year will be improved. I see no reason to believe Peek isn't included in that "almost all".

I don't want to get into scheme, coaching, etc. about this, which also obviously effects differences between this year and last but just muddies this discussion.

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
One thing to remember about Salaam's comments--he faced Peek while playing with the Jags so he has a little perspective on improvement from previous game experience to what he is seeing in TC now.

jerek
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I guess it depends on what you mean by knock.

If you think I mean that by relying on one move he is a poor player, or a bust, or sucks, or has no game impact, or whatever - then no, I wasn't knocking him. I think you've seen enough of my posts that I don't take a binary approach to players (either they are stars or they are busts).

However, if you think it is a knock for me to say he may not have reached his full potential because he has relied on one move and been rather predictable, then yes it was a knock. A little knock. Judging by the coaches spending time with him developing different moves, I guess they want him to add some stuff too.

I'm on record as saying that I think almost all of our previous players who stick around this year will be improved. I see no reason to believe Peek isn't included in that "almost all".

I don't want to get into scheme, coaching, etc. about this, which also obviously effects differences between this year and last but just muddies this discussion.

Agreed on all points.

MorKnolle
08-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Bruener will still see significant PT. He has been practicing with the 1st squad all thru camp thusfar (he and Putzier have only seen time on 1st team, all the other TEs have seen time on everything from 1st to 3rd team) and is still a premier blocking TE. HE also has surprisingly good hands, he's just slow, and he's one of the leaders of the team. There is no way he will get cut, at least not this year.