PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak concerned about DD "since he got to Houston"

texansfaninla
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
"Kubiak, who wants to run the ball consistently to set up the passing game, and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun have been concerned about Davis since they got to Houston."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4082817.html

powerfuldragon
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
well, he has been injured since they came to houston, so it's only natural that they'd be concerned.

jparrish
07-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Davis is extremely productive when he's healthy, but he has trouble making it through an entire season. Any normal head coach would worry about that. Depth is very important.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Kub in a 610 interview just related that the Texans are going to be smart about DD........if he needs a couple more days rest, etc......he said that he is confident because DD knows how to play through these type of adversities.

That may be part of the problem. When a knee is painful, swollen and accumulates fluid, it's the body's way of telling you that there is significant inflammation secondary to continued trauma to the knee. You need to find out what is causing that continued trauma and treat it as appropriately. You don't PLAY through it.

Insideop
07-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Kub in a 610 interview just related that the Texans are going to be smart about DD........if he needs a couple more days rest, etc......he said that he is confident because DD knows how to play through these type of adversities.

That may be part of the problem. When a knee is painful, swollen and accumulates fluid, it's the body's way of telling you that there is significant inflammation secondary to continued trauma to the knee. You need to find out what is causing that continued trauma and treat it as appropriately. You don't PLAY through it.

"Cloak," are you telling us what I think you're telling us? That the surgery (scope?) didn't get everything out, or possibly caused more damage, and that he may need more surgery now? And, if so, if they continue to play him now, will that further damage the knee? :crutch:

Porky
07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
They knew all of this, yet they passed up Reggie Bush? Very questionable decision making imo.

Texans Horror
07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
If only there was a running back we could have drafted... :lightbulb:

Double Barrel
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I've got a bad feeling that DD is not going to be the starting RB for most of our games. As much as I like him as a player and person, I just think his durability is questionable, at best.

tulexan
07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
They knew all of this, yet they passed up Reggie Bush? Very questionable decision making imo.

That is probably why they tried to trade back into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams.

SESupergenius
07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
But in Kubiaks system, I thought you really didn't need a 1st round RB, you could plug in other RB's. (see T. Davis, C. Portis, Bell, Dayne, etc.)

shinerbock_girl
07-31-2006, 03:52 PM

And God help him if he has a re-injury to the same knee...Which will be very possible...This doesn't sound good...Hope Smith can really step up....

GP
07-31-2006, 03:59 PM

Again with the "Texans are stupid for not choosing Reggie Bush" mantra?

Sheesh.........................:superman:

I cringe at how much Bush and his agent would have demanded from us for being the 1st pick. I mean, think about this: Mario and Vince's contracts basically shaped Reggies' contract because it painted him into a corner in terms of what the league's sliding scale of guranteed money looks like...otherwise, we would probably have a serious holdout with Reggie if he went No. 1 with us.

There'd be no telling how much he would have asked...and then it would affect how much No. 2 would ask of the Saints, and how much No. 3 would have asked of the Titans.

I think the reason you saw NO OTHER NFL TEAM trade up to get Bush is because they look at the $$$ ramifications involved. It would have been a huge blow to the whole concept of "keeping it real."

Call me crazy, but I think Houston Texans did all of NFL a huge favor by NOT picking Reggie Bush No. 1 overall. And the ramifications of that extend to us as fans who enjoy the game.

We made the best choice for who we were (and who we want to be).

GP
07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I've got a bad feeling that DD is not going to be the starting RB for most of our games. As much as I like him as a player and person, I just think his durability is questionable, at best.

I've been saying the same thing.

I don't want him to sit, but I mean...how can you truly look at it and think that DD is going to be able to carry the type of load that's needed?

I still say that a Chris Brown trade is in order. While I appreciate Kubiak's "system" being able to support "any" RB...I would like to see us acquire a RB who is proven. And I know Brown has had some injuries, too, but it's nothing like DD's knee.

We provide Brown a golden opportunity: (A) To be the No. 1 guy from the beginning, and (B) To stick it to Bud Adams for drafting LenDale White.

tulexan
07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't count on the Titans trading Brown to a team in the division. If we are going to trade for anyone, I think it is going to be Bennett. A darkhorse that I would like to see us look at if we are looking for a vet is former Tulane alum Mewelde Moore. He reminds me of Davis, only a better receiver.

GP
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't count on the Titans trading Brown to a team in the division. If we are going to trade for anyone, I think it is going to be Bennett. A darkhorse that I would like to see us look at if we are looking for a vet is former Tulane alum Mewelde Moore. He reminds me of Davis, only a better receiver.

I concede that Brown would be an unlikely trade.

Mewelde Moore is not too shabby. And "Yeah," I'd take him over Bennett.

I just don't have a good feeling about the risk/reward ratio involving Bennett.

Hookem Horns
07-31-2006, 04:16 PM

Guess that shows you what they really thought of Bush.

Hervoyel
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Davis is extremely productive when he's healthy, but he has trouble making it through an entire season. Any normal head coach would worry about that. Depth is very important.

He's having a hard time making it through this off-season!

I am far from a gloom and doom guy but Domanick Davis has had me worried since he got hurt last season and now I'm really hoping that we found ourselves one of those late round steals in Lundy or that Morency will suddenly get it and turn into, if not Terrell Davis then at least a Mike Anderson.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 04:26 PM
"Cloak," are you telling us what I think you're telling us? That the surgery (scope?) didn't get everything out, or possibly caused more damage, and that he may need more surgery now? And, if so, if they continue to play him now, will that further damage the knee? :crutch:

Insideop, I posted a comprehensive answer to your question on the 4th page of the TRAINING CAMP: DAY 3 (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=25557&page=4)thread.

U4ikrob
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM

I understand the PoV - but I guess it all depends on how you want ot build your team and where you want to spend your money.

Big money offense - scores lots of points, but cant afford any more than an average defense
Big Money defense - Shuts down alot of teams, but cant afford more than an average offense.

Where do you want to spend the $$$?

To look at another sport [Basketball]

The Big money offense is like The Dallas Mavericks - Great at making points - not so great in stopping anyone from doing the same. Has a chance to win some games, but has to rely on being hot at the end of a game to do it and makign enough stops to prevent the other team from outscoring them.

The big Money Defense would be like last years Detroit - Great at stopping teams and slowing thigns down, not so great at the offensive end. Has a cahcen to win more games because they rely on stopping the other team from scoring and average offensive production. When they get hot on Offense - Look out!

IMO the decision to take Mario over Bush makes alot of sense from a Big picture view of the team. It goes back to the old adage of course - Offense scores Touchdowns - Defense wins championships. IMO We cant outscore the Colts with the talent and experience level we have on the Offense currently. Even if we would have taken bush it would take Kubes & Co a few years to develop the talent on Offense and build some continuity in the gameplan to be competing with the Colts or whomever is tops in our division. By then we could maybe outlast the colts in a shoot out, but we wouldnt have a #1 pick DE to put pressure on the other team with. Granted we could score soem points, but I'm not comfortable giving Manning the ball anytime with what our defense has shown him the last 4 years.

Honestly if I were a coach in this league - give me a dominating Defense everytime over a Point scoring offense. The two will cancel out eventually and one will prevail and history has shown thus far that the Defense is usually the one on top. To me by the time Bush would be making a difference on the offense, the rest of the squad would be improved as well to the point having him would be a good thing, but his salary would be prohibitive to getting many other big players for the team. I look at the Patriots as the best example of making use of the talent they have and not reaching for top pick talents that strap the whole clubs flexability down. To me we can get just about any average RB not named Bush in the league to get 1000+ yards behind a decent zone blocking line. And by going the route we did we can afford a decent RB and a #1 DE to chase the other teams QB too.

Back to Dom - IMO DD is a big ??? and one that will be addressed all year by the team. Honestly I think if they play it safe with DD he will maybe play half the games this year if not be put on the PuP to save wear and tear on him while the team plays its first half schedule and makes adjustments. Kubes knows DD is a good RB and IMO will use him sparingly until he feels he can play good minutes. Even though Davis just signed a big contract with us last year, I could see Kubes picking up a few Rb's next year to compete for minutes and maybe look at releasing DD if his injuries dont respond well enough between this year and next years Off season. Denver had a history of going thru backs good and bad - I dont forsee that changing here in Houston. I really like Dom and think he could be a great player for the team, but if his body doesnt cooperate - he cant force it. I dont think Kubes will wait too much past the end of TC to name a starter. IF DD cant go 90% or better for the first pre-season game I could see him maybe sitting that game and maybe more until they have a handle on how to keep the swelling down in his knee. I really dont see them making DD the starter our of camp if he isnt able to make some strides in his rehab. Its not worth the risk of losing him all year.

WWX
07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Coach Kubiak is looking for backs and is impressed with the young guys already on the roster. IMO he is simply looking for someone with the strait up homerun speed. From the TC reports coming in it sounds like we might have someone to fill that roll. But as Coach K. quoted: “We’ll keep our eyes out in this league for veteran backs just like corners.” Michael Bennett comes to mind and he is fast, and apparently, discreetly, on the market. Can one person honestly tell me DD has that homerun speed. Yea I think Coach K is concerned and looking for the men to fit into his system.

:trophy:

dat_boy_yec
07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
My two cents, everybody says that Bush would have been a hold out, but I disagree. They were close to a deal and then broke off negotiations with Bush's camp in favor of Mario. It may be that Kubiak just doesn't believe in doing what everyone was saying should have been done. I think that he just liked Mario more and chose to go with him. I mean look at the Buffalo picks. Sometimes it's just a question of the coaches preference. If the rumors are true that we tried to get back into the first rd. to take a RB then that proves that RB was and may still be a need. In the long-term we will always look back at this pick and critisize it much like the Carr-Peppers choice in 2002 and there will always be arguments for both sides, but to say all those things about Bush to make ourselves feel better about the pick, I don't get that. Bush said they wanted to get a deal that was fair and they did that. I don't think it was a question of his signability that prevented us from taking him. I think it was just that Kubiak wanted Mario. Now that Bush is signed the talk of at least our pick was at camp on time. I know I'm just ranting now, but DD hasn't ever been known for his durability and it would have made perfect sense to take Bush.

HomeBred_Texan
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
IMHO, this year I still don't expect much from my team. As long as it's not as boring as last year. But many questions will be answered with this season. Some of the questions will be addressed in next years draft, but here are a few of them I have.

1) Is DD really our back of the future

2) Is DC really our QB of the future

3) Have we addressed the weakness in the OL

4) Is our D ready to hold teams to no more than 7 points a quarter

5) Will P-Burnt actually hit a RB and make a tackle

6) Will we have a pass rush that takes pressure off of the DB's

I am excited to see how all of these questions turn out and can't wait to see how the season goes. But I also beleive that there was not a pure number 1 choice in the draft for us. We needed almost every player taken in the first 2 rounds to make a team. The draft was very very deep and the more picks the merrier. But I trust Big Bob Mc and whatever he decides to have the Texans do, I support until I see reason not to.

Even though I also wanted Reggie Bush, deep inside I did not beleive that he is the best RB coming out in the draft. That was reserved for De'Angelo Williams. So we will see how wrong I was AFTER the season...

Let the Games begin.......:yahoo:

Bullpen Drew
07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I feel your pain!:tease:

DocBar
07-31-2006, 05:50 PM

I sure hope it isn't bone-on-bone contact causing it(from removing too much). They're pretty good at smoothing the meniscii these days. I wonder if he pushed a little too hard too soon trying to rehab. Did they remove the tear or try to repair it? Repair jobs, from what I know of the subject, are generally a bad idea and can lead to further complications.

Double Barrel
07-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Honestly if I were a coach in this league - give me a dominating Defense everytime over a Point scoring offense. The two will cancel out eventually and one will prevail and history has shown thus far that the Defense is usually the one on top.

Good post, and I agree. Give me dominant defense over a great offense any day. :thumbup

Grid
07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Has anyone picked up Wells yet?

I know there are probably 100 reasons why we didnt keep him, but I just cant shake the feeling that we would be better off with him on the roster.

I am not a pessimistic person when it comes to the Texans (people here can attest to that).. but this business with DDs knee has me just about convinced that this year he is going to be riding the pine more than running the ball. If his knee is still questionable at this point, after all this time, then i dont see him being our starter in week 1.. if he DOES start for us, then I dont see how his knee could be healthy enough to withstand the beating of a full NFL season, and Id be surprised if he made it the whole year.

If he does start..im going to be knocking on wood before every snap.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Wali Lundy does have a similar running style to Mike Anderson. Hopefully he can flourish in Kubiak's system as Mike Anderson did when he won offensive rookie of the year in 2000.

Mike Kerns
07-31-2006, 06:28 PM

No Kidding . . .Oh! Thats right, we couldn't have signed him....I forgot.

aj.
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Time to accept the distinct possiblity that we'll be lucky to get 100 carries out of DD this year.

RB by committee. Not the end of the world in this system but you need someone to emerge.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
We got the best guy in the draft, you guys need to just chill out. Even if DD cannot carry the ball 25 times a game, we will be just fine. Matter of fact we may be better off.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2006, 09:07 PM

I never wanted Bush. He's not going to be the type of every down running back that we'd need to really, fully replace DD and he's going to be too expensive to have around without him fully replacing DD. I can't see drafting a guy like Bush (or Vick) where you basically have to build an offense around him and what he does. I think Bush has ended up in what could be a good situation for him where McAlister gets most of the straight up carries and they find "sneaky" ways to get the ball to Bush: pitch-outs, reverses, double reverses, using him as a wide-out, etc. If a guy like that goes down, you're left with a crippled offense.

<Added this part>
And for the Saints, I think they've got a helluva lot of money devoted to the running back position. I have to think that's going to end up biting them in the butt.
<OK, end of the edit>

I don't think we're going to get a full season out of DD but I think that Kubes can do the running back by committee better than just about anyone. Not really what I'd like but if we get a couple of guys over 1,000 yds, I'll be happy enough. :)

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Domanick is a must for the team he has great hands, and able to cut, and open things up for david alot more when it comes to passing, hope he get's well soon........

TexansSeminole
08-01-2006, 02:33 AM
It is naturally going to swell up when you start playing on it again, haven't you guys had serious injuries before, or atleast seen them. I've seen guys have more than the trouble DD is having and then come back and play a hell of a football season. It is alot about the player and how they rehab and come back from the injury. Seems to me that DD has been working on it and I think its great that he is in camp. If he was that bad off, he would not be in camp, or even play the preseason, then you would have to be worried.

Do not worry, he is just breaking it back in. It's like gettin new tires on the car. They just gotta get a feel for the road.

aj.
08-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Do not worry, he is just breaking it back in. It's like gettin new tires on the car. They just gotta get a feel for the road.

I don't think this is a case where he just needs to "break it in." He's having chronic knee problems, apparently giving him enough pain to warrant additional MRI's more than six months after a scope. Read some of CNDs stuff about post surgery recovery, symptoms, prognosis, etc.. DD ran hard Friday morning (no pads no contact), said he felt great coming off the field, but then by Sunday morning he's back on the sideline not looking happy.

Texans_Chick
08-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Latest FanBlog post here with a few thoughts:

Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/08/domanick_davis_knee_and_relate.html)

And to add, a number of the backs for the Broncos got their start in the league when the guy in front of him got hurt. It would be not surprising to me for Smith to get the early year starts and then whatever youngin impresses the most in camp to get later starts.

That would probably not be Kubiak's option A, but the Broncos have done it before.

Coach C.
08-01-2006, 07:19 AM
DD will be out there for the start of the season, but he will have limited carries and be monitored during the week to make sure that he can go and prolong his effectiveness. Will he play all 16 games that is very unlikely, but not neccessarily a bad thing. From what I hear Smith and Lundy can handle the tough yards, and Morency and Taylor are nice all around backs.

Pigskin Porkers
08-01-2006, 07:30 AM
It is naturally going to swell up when you start playing on it again, haven't you guys had serious injuries before, or atleast seen them. I've seen guys have more than the trouble DD is having and then come back and play a hell of a football season. It is alot about the player and how they rehab and come back from the injury. Seems to me that DD has been working on it and I think its great that he is in camp. If he was that bad off, he would not be in camp, or even play the preseason, then you would have to be worried.

I have torn my meniscus in my knee and almost all the cartilage in one ankle removed (broke and dislocated my ankle 90 degrees.) I am not worried yet with DD. There is scar tissue that needs to be loosened up, and I am sure it feels different to DD then it did before. For my meniscus tear, I had to stregthen my legs to help better support the joint. Still it aches sometimes, and makes weird clicking and popping noises, as does my ankle. I can pretty much do everything I did before...just need to hit the advil and put the leg up after I excercise. I agree DD will play this season, but I bet he will give up some carries to some of the other players on the team. I know the news is scary, but you have to realize that this guy is hearing his knee crack and pop...ache, and swell up. Once he gets over the fact that this will happen psychologically, he will be fine. I was told I would have to walk with a cane, and overcame it all. I am no where near an elite athlete....I am not concerned. Like I said...I predict DD will get some help from the rest of the RB's.

Koolbrz
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I've been saying the same thing.

I don't want him to sit, but I mean...how can you truly look at it and think that DD is going to be able to carry the type of load that's needed?

I still say that a Chris Brown trade is in order. While I appreciate Kubiak's "system" being able to support "any" RB...I would like to see us acquire a RB who is proven. And I know Brown has had some injuries, too, but it's nothing like DD's knee.

We provide Brown a golden opportunity: (A) To be the No. 1 guy from the beginning, and (B) To stick it to Bud Adams for drafting LenDale White.

Forget Chris Brown...he is another player that is consistently hurt...ala DD. If anything they need to go after Thomas Jones. He is tough as nails and has great speed. He would be a very nice addition to our team. Denver is asking about him, i don't see why the Texans would not show an interest in trading for him. Bennett is also out of the question for the simple reason that he is hurt just as much as Davis. As i have said in the past, it was not a good idea not picking up a solid rb in this yrs draft. Hopefully this will not be our achillies heel this yr. IMHO it is begining to look that way. A. Smith is ok, V. Morency is unproven, and i dont want to have to depend on a rb that i did not hear much about last season. ( Lundy ). Time will tell...the system is a great one, the only thing is that we dont have the rb's Denver has so cant say that our backs will be just as good. Jones has been moved to the 2nd team in Chicago and is not happy. I believe that it would be a great move to try and get him.

Hutch13
08-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Not a good sign when your Starting RB isnt exactly healthy and they havent even started preseason, maybe chris taylor could start then :stirpot:

HOU-TEX
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I have torn my meniscus in my knee and almost all the cartilage in one ankle removed (broke and dislocated my ankle 90 degrees.) I am not worried yet with DD. There is scar tissue that needs to be loosened up, and I am sure it feels different to DD then it did before. For my meniscus tear, I had to stregthen my legs to help better support the joint. Still it aches sometimes, and makes weird clicking and popping noises, as does my ankle. I can pretty much do everything I did before...just need to hit the advil and put the leg up after I excercise. I agree DD will play this season, but I bet he will give up some carries to some of the other players on the team. I know the news is scary, but you have to realize that this guy is hearing his knee crack and pop...ache, and swell up. Once he gets over the fact that this will happen psychologically, he will be fine. I was told I would have to walk with a cane, and overcame it all. I am no where near an elite athlete....I am not concerned. Like I said...I predict DD will get some help from the rest of the RB's.

I've had several surgeries as well. Two of which were arthroscopic on my rt knee. I was back to practically 100% within 3 months after each. IIRC, his surgery was over six months ago. Take it for what it's worth, I don't think he'll be playing much if at all. :crying:

chuckm
08-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I heard a blurb on 790 that DDavis is in North Carolina today getting a second opinion on his knee ...... and the Texans would know the results later tonight ....

JAXwithanX
08-01-2006, 03:18 PM
I have a really strong feeling that if we hadn't brought in the Denver 'any quick RB will do' blocking scheme in this year....we would be in some huge trouble. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....don't spend a top pick on DD this year for FF.

Also, I hope Morency pans out like a lot of poster's opinions i respect think so. DD is not in good health.

real
08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
If we do find another back that happens to be beastly...What will DD role be when he returns back to full form if morency, lundy, and taylor turn out to be pretty good backs???

tsip
08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a really strong feeling that if we hadn't brought in the Denver 'any quick RB will do' blocking scheme in this year....we would be in some huge trouble. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....don't spend a top pick on DD this year for FF.

Also, I hope Morency pans out like a lot of poster's opinions i respect think so. DD is not in good health.

Morency was good in college and played against some tough teams in the Big 12, only knock against has been his 'horizontal' running/stutter stepping at the line of scrimmage. K wants 1 step and then go...IMO, you're right about DD, as his knee is not well--yesterday, a thread mentioned a 'lack' of cartlidge in the knee, which sheds more 'light' on the problem than just a 'drainage' issue. DD could be replaced, but I hate losing a 'fan favorite/team player' who plays with 'heart' and gets good results.

JAXwithanX
08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Morency was good in college and played against some tough teams in the Big 12, only knock against has been his 'horizontal' running/stutter stepping at the line of scrimmage. K wants 1 step and then go...IMO, you're right about DD, as his knee is not well--yesterday, a thread mentioned a 'lack' of cartlidge in the knee, which sheds more 'light' on the problem than just a 'drainage' issue. DD could be replaced, but I hate losing a 'fan favorite/team player' who plays with 'heart' and gets good results.

Yes, DD was the first (and as of yet, admittedly few) Texan(s) to make a name for himself exclusively as a Texan. I really feel like a great career got stolen away from him. But cartilage can't be just put back in or rebuilt like ligaments or bones, and I'd imagine his condition will steadily get worse until he just can't play. But until that day comes i do believe he will continue to grind it out with us. And hopefully long enough for us to find a clear cut replacement.

MorKnolle
08-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't think this is a case where he just needs to "break it in." He's having chronic knee problems, apparently giving him enough pain to warrant additional MRI's more than six months after a scope. Read some of CNDs stuff about post surgery recovery, symptoms, prognosis, etc.. DD ran hard Friday morning (no pads no contact), said he felt great coming off the field, but then by Sunday morning he's back on the sideline not looking happy.

I agree, it is six months since he had athroscopic surgery and it continues to give him problems, and he has only made it out to 2 out of 10 practices so far. I was somewhat concerned when all they thought he could handle was going once a day but I wasn't too worried at that point. Then they said he was going to sit out day 3 and possibly have to continue the trend of two days on, one day off. Then it became two days on, two days off, and now he has missed a third straight day. I hate to be a pessimist but I really don't think we'll see much of Davis at all this year.

threetoedpete
08-02-2006, 08:26 AM
There was....Carolina jumped in and....drafted him.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2006, 08:50 AM

I heard that NO was more than likely going to seek for a trade this week for Bennett. NFL network said yesterday that now that they have Bush signed sealed and delivered they can now move on. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but the guy sounded pretty confident that something was going down this week. We'll see!!:rolleyes:

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 08:55 AM

Supposedly we offered a 2nd (effectively Ryans) and 4th (Daniels) for Chicago's pick just in front of Carolina. Buffalo then out bid us by offering a 2nd and 3rd to move into the spot and take John McCargo. Carolina then took DeAngelo at their spot.

Hou-Tex--the Bennett trade happened last night with him going to the Chiefs--see the NFL forum.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I heard that NO was more than likely going to seek for a trade this week for Bennett. NFL network said yesterday that now that they have Bush signed sealed and delivered they can now move on. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but the guy sounded pretty confident that something was going down this week. We'll see!!:rolleyes:

Nevermind:crying:

Frills
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
DD can't block. DD doesn't have breakaway speed. DD put up the good numbers because he got the ball so damn much cause the coaches were too damn braindead to figure anything else out.

With his knee I wish they would just IR him, start early, get him 100% for next year. Face it the issues he has now are attributed toward the end of last year having him sit during the week, and be a gametime decision. If they just IR'ed him he would prolly be in better shape now.

keyfro
08-02-2006, 10:08 AM
this is why we need to hope that kubiak can work his magic with chris taylor who seems to be the better of all the rookie RB's in the group we had

kingh99
08-02-2006, 10:11 AM

Reggie Bush didn't get the ball in the NCAA championships. Think about that. He's not an every down back.

Dean 74
08-02-2006, 11:44 AM
looks like the chiefs traded for michael bennet.

kcwilson
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
So this is interesting... with DD likely shelved for part, if not most of this season, and assuming we have a better year record wise (5-11, 6-10.... 7-9 seems unlikely without unexepected contribution from Morency, Lundy or Taylor)...

Are we saying the a #1 draft choice in 2007 is going to be used on a RB next year? Have most holes been addressed with this years draft, with perhaps the exception of CB?

With DD's knees chronically a concern, I don't think the next three years can reasonably be shouldered by DD. We could realistically be at the beginning of the last legs of DD's career.

Might we all consider that we end up drafting Bush after all, Michael Bush (Louisville)? A lot of people wanted Bush and Williams, but perhaps we were just rooting for the wrong Bush.

joetexan
08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I tell you what...I agree with the previous poster about questioning the FO's thought process on the No. 1 pick. They already were well-stocked at DE, and knew that DD's bum knee was a concern. That pretty much discounts the "filling a need" with the draft. Common draft knowledge says, if you don't fill a need, go with the best player available. Mario is a beast, and I'm not hating on him, but Bush was the best player available, and now, they don't have any reliable depth at RB. And I'm seeing a lot of "screw Bush, he didn't play every single down in the Rose Bowl" garbage, and "we've got the Kubiak system" stuff, which is ludicrous.

Nobody can argue that Bush is freaking talented. He might be more physically gifted than any other RB in the league, and he is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. It makes zero sense to refuse a guy of his caliber and potential, simply because of "the system". Why couldn't he make "the system" that much more effective?

Now, I'm reading stuff on here about taking a RB in the first round NEXT year. Great thinking. Brilliant.

One more thing - for the concerns that Bush wouldn't have signed...He would have signed a contract and been in camp.

Again, I like Mario Williams, but...the Texans' thought process has to be questioned since DD probably won't be a factor this year, and the best the team is left with at RB is Smith, Morency, Lundy, and an undrafted guy. Not exactly an intimidating cast, and without a good running game, David Carr may well be on his backside a lot - system or no system.

Runner
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
1) I tell you what...I agree with the previous poster about questioning the FO's thought process on the No. 1 pick. They already were well-stocked at DE, and knew that DD's bum knee was a concern. That pretty much discounts the "filling a need" with the draft.

2) Nobody can argue that Bush is freaking talented. He might be more physically gifted than any other RB in the league, and he is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. It makes zero sense to refuse a guy of his caliber and potential, simply because of "the system". Why couldn't he make "the system" that much more effective?

3) Now, I'm reading stuff on here about taking a RB in the first round NEXT year. Great thinking. Brilliant.

1) Maybe even without DD they did not evaluate RB as a need position. And yes, we could debate that assessment.

2) Agreed, Reggie is a rare talent. There were a lot of good players at the top of the draft. It isn't a zero sum game to me. Our defensive line looks incredibly improved. So far.

3) Are you reading this stuff on the message board, or quotes from the front office/coaches? Those are certainly two different things.

joetexan
08-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Runner, in response to your message:

1) Not a wise move to put all your RB faith into an aging vet, a second-year player who hasn't performed well, a rookie, and an undrafted rookie. (I'm removing DD from the equation because it seems his health will prevent him from being effective.) And they've said they need another veteran RB. Bennett was the target, until the Chiefs got him. Right now I'd argue that the Texans have the most questionable/concerning running back situation in the entire league.

2) Good players don't equal rare talent. There have been a lot of RBs come and go over the last several years, and none have the electric potential that Bush has. I agree, the DL looks very improved. And again, I like Mario and think he's a beast. But I'd argue that the DL looked better before the draft too, with the addition of Weaver (who was signed to play the same spot Williams played in college). And given (1) and (2), it sure seems like Bush would have filled a greater need than Williams.

3) Admittedly, this comes from these boards. Of course, the coaches/FO haven't noted next year's draft yet. BUT - if they have a bumpy season because of a total lack of a running game, and they do take a RB in the first round in '07, then it sure will seem like they blew it in '06.

We can agree to disagree, but...I was on board with the Texans taking Williams, so long as DD was the horse at RB, as was part of the justification the team used to sell the pick to the fans. Now, take DD out of the equation, and what do you have? A really thin RB group, and an overstocked DL featuring Williams. And if they knew this all along - I just don't get their logic at all.

Meloy
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Runner, in response to your message:

1) Not a wise move to put all your RB faith into an aging vet, a second-year player who hasn't performed well, a rookie, and an undrafted rookie. (I'm removing DD from the equation because it seems his health will prevent him from being effective.) And they've said they need another veteran RB. Bennett was the target, until the Chiefs got him. Right now I'd argue that the Texans have the most questionable/concerning running back situation in the entire league.

2) Good players don't equal rare talent. There have been a lot of RBs come and go over the last several years, and none have the electric potential that Bush has. I agree, the DL looks very improved. And again, I like Mario and think he's a beast. But I'd argue that the DL looked better before the draft too, with the addition of Weaver (who was signed to play the same spot Williams played in college). And given (1) and (2), it sure seems like Bush would have filled a greater need than Williams.

3) Admittedly, this comes from these boards. Of course, the coaches/FO haven't noted next year's draft yet. BUT - if they have a bumpy season because of a total lack of a running game, and they do take a RB in the first round in '07, then it sure will seem like they blew it in '06.

We can agree to disagree, but...I was on board with the Texans taking Williams, so long as DD was the horse at RB, as was part of the justification the team used to sell the pick to the fans. Now, take DD out of the equation, and what do you have? A really thin RB group, and an overstocked DL featuring Williams. And if they knew this all along - I just don't get their logic at all.#3 your assumption is debatable depending on who that 2007 running back would be?

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 02:03 PM
joe--not that this will change your mind, but one additional consideration is cap dynamics. Mario is paid in line with his potential--i.e. with the elite DE's in the league. Bush (contrary to those who said he would get RB money rather than money based on his slot) has a contract which averages about $9 mil per year or which is 50% more than the franchise tag number of $6 mil as the average of the top 5 paid RB's in the league. Maybe Bush will be the best RB in the league but it is hard to imagine him contributing that much more to his team than LT, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, etc. To justify paying that much more he has to decidedly outperform those guys.

tulexan
08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
He's making that much more than the franchise tag? They really need to change the system

jerek
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Supposedly we offered a 2nd (effectively Ryans) and 4th (Daniels) for Chicago's pick just in front of Carolina. Buffalo then out bid us by offering a 2nd and 3rd to move into the spot and take John McCargo. Carolina then took DeAngelo at their spot.

I've heard that as well from multiple sources I trust. I sincerely wanted DeAngelo at the time and was crushed that Buffalo denied us that (for McCargo, of all people: IIRC he was projected as a mid-second rounder)

In retrospect though, we may not have done so badly in that one. Ryans looks like he might be special and we have plenty of young talent making noise in camp.

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I've heard that as well from multiple sources I trust. I sincerely wanted DeAngelo at the time and was crushed that Buffalo denied us that (for McCargo, of all people: IIRC he was projected as a mid-second rounder)

In retrospect though, we may not have done so badly in that one. Ryans looks like he might be special and we have plenty of young talent making noise in camp.

If that trade had gone down we would be having threads about how thin we are at LB and how they would have been smarter to draft Ryans in the 2nd.

Blu
08-02-2006, 03:22 PM
:fortune:
NFL DRAFT 2007

The Houston Texans Select....Adrian Peterson RB Univ. of Oklahoma

Here's hoping we won't have to pick that high to take him. :cowboy1:

tulexan
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Give my Lynch instead

Vinny
08-02-2006, 03:32 PM
If that trade had gone down we would be having threads about how thin we are at LB and how they would have been smarter to draft Ryans in the 2nd.so true...I was chatting with Keith during the draft and kept calling Ryans out as teams passed on him...I was one happy camper when we called his name. I'd probably be one of those guys starting one of those wth threads if we traded up for Williams.

U4ikrob
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Forget Chris Brown...he is another player that is consistently hurt...ala DD. If anything they need to go after Thomas Jones. He is tough as nails and has great speed. He would be a very nice addition to our team. Denver is asking about him, i don't see why the Texans would not show an interest in trading for him... I believe that it would be a great move to try and get him.

Been beating that Thomas Jones drum ever since the problems came up with DD after the draft. I'm right with yah and think he would be a good fit for us and he's young enough to play for a few years and has some good home run speed.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Been beating that Thomas Jones drum ever since the problems came up with DD after the draft. I'm right with yah and think he would be a good fit for us and he's young enough to play for a few years and has some good home run speed.

I never really thought he was going to be available. I'd love to see the Texans grab him. Gawd, that'd be awsome! What are the chances? Anybody know?

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM

They're trying to push 1300 yard Thomas to the side for their last year's #4 pick Benson, who is to date unproven.
Here's an idea of what's going on with him and why. (http://blogs.suntimes.com/fullcourtpress/2006/07/thomas_jones_has_a_right_to_be.html)

Double Barrel
08-02-2006, 06:20 PM
so true...I was chatting with Keith during the draft and kept calling Ryans out as teams passed on him...I was one happy camper when we called his name. I'd probably be one of those guys starting one of those wth threads if we traded up for Williams.

He was a super cool guy at the All Access event, too. I told him to give us something to scream about this year, and he said he'd try to make us hoarse. :thumbup

I'm looking forward to seeing him play, and hopefully dominate at his position.

MorKnolle
08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
He's making that much more than the franchise tag? They really need to change the system

Isn't he the highest paid RB in the league now? Shaun Alexander's deal is close I know, but I thought I heard within the last day or two that Bush had surpassed him.

I never really thought he was going to be available. I'd love to see the Texans grab him. Gawd, that'd be awsome! What are the chances? Anybody know?

It sounds like the Bears aren't interested in trading him and would likely require a 1st rounder for him, definitely not worth the price.

Tale Gator
08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Seeing as DD has limited cartilage left in his knee and is already sidelined - i'd have some concerns as well...

tulexan
08-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Isn't he the highest paid RB in the league now? Shaun Alexander's deal is close I know, but I thought I heard within the last day or two that Bush had surpassed him.

I guess he is. Tomlinson has a $60M contract, but only got $20M guaranteed and it is an 8 year contract. Shaun Alexander has a $62M contract, but got $15M guaranteed and is also an 8 year contract. So Bush is getting more guaranteed money than the two best backs in the league plus is getting an equal contract in less years. All before taking a single snap in the NFL. Wow.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
It sounds like the Bears aren't interested in trading him and would likely require a 1st rounder for him, definitely not worth the price.[/QUOTE]

Why would he be of 1st rd value? He's only had 1 year of breaking the 1000 yd mark.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187390

wrestler4life
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
So Bush is getting more guaranteed money than the two best backs in the league plus is getting an equal contract in less years. All before taking a single snap in the NFL. Wow.
Yeah- freakin crazy. I wonder how that makes them feel?
Personally, I hope that he and Young get there asses handed to them during the season.

jerek
08-03-2006, 12:32 PM
so true...I was chatting with Keith during the draft and kept calling Ryans out as teams passed on him...I was one happy camper when we called his name. I'd probably be one of those guys starting one of those wth threads if we traded up for Williams.

That one's all you ... I had no idea who he was. I don't pretend to be a true draftnik who knows everybody from everywhere, but I had no idea who this DeMeco Ryans guy was. Looks like he's shaping up to be a true franchise LB.

I hated the loss of DeAngelo at the time, but watching our running backs in action has since convinced me that we came out way ahead on that one.

MorKnolle
08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
It sounds like the Bears aren't interested in trading him and would likely require a 1st rounder for him, definitely not worth the price.

Why would he be of 1st rd value? He's only had 1 year of breaking the 1000 yd mark.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187390[/QUOTE]

Because they aren't really interested in trading him.