PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Day 4

YoungTexanFan
07-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Coach, AJ, Mork, anyone? TC is over now, and looking for a lot of info from day 4. Vinny or similar mod, please change title when a report is posted here, or delete it if another thread is started with a report in it. Thank you.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 12:32 PM
YTF, it was lunch time man give us a chance to get back. It was a good day to be a Texan.

OL- The OL played much better today, and gave me alot more confidence than I had yesterday. The first team handled business during 11on11. One thing of note is that Wand ran with the second team for a good part of the day today. It was more a light a fire under him than anything else. Spencer ran with the first and was strong, but made some rookie mistakes such as overextending and not setting his base quickly. Overall the line looked good. Winston was ok against the second team, but had no answer for Mario today.

WR/RB/TE- Moulds did not go this morning and neither did DD. Rest was the main reason and Domanick is just preserving those knees for the season dont want to have to drain them after every two practices, unfortunately he has only practiced 2 out of 8 right now so say what you will. AJ was on fire as usual and the rest of the core was solid. There were a couple of really nice grabs by AJ and D. Lewis. Putzier got into the act today with a nice grab over the middle to promptly get nailed by CC Brown. Taylor and Morency ran alot with the first team with Smith. Those three looked good. And Rhodes fumbled the ball again.

CB- Chris McKenzie was kinda the star of the show today, grabbing two picks one off of Carr while he was on AJ. It was a nice play. The secondary was aggressive today and made some nice picks. J. Walker is looking alot better the more reps he gets and that is a good thing since he is our biggest corner right now. If our secondary can be opportunistic like they were today consistently we will force some turnovers. They were making the offense pay for badly thrown balls.

Overall it was a good practice and the guys were sharp. The OLine really brought it today and they had a fire about them. That is all I can really go into right now, so Mork, Jerek, and I will get together later and give a little more love out to the board...

aj.
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm taking a break from the reports for a while. Maybe when we get a little closer to the KC game...

valleytexfan
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
thanks for the info once again!!

Hardcore Texan
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
YTF, it was lunch time man give us a chance to get back. It was a good day to be a Texan.

OL- The OL played much better today, and gave me alot more confidence than I had yesterday. The first team handled business during 11on11. One thing of note is that Wand ran with the second team for a good part of the day today. It was more a light a fire under him than anything else. Spencer ran with the first and was strong, but made some rookie mistakes such as overextending and not setting his base quickly. Overall the line looked good. Winston was ok against the second team, but had no answer for Mario today.

WR/RB/TE- Moulds did not go this morning and neither did DD. Rest was the main reason and Domanick is just preserving those knees for the season dont want to have to drain them after every two practices, unfortunately he has only practiced 2 out of 8 right now so say what you will. AJ was on fire as usual and the rest of the core was solid. There were a couple of really nice grabs by AJ and D. Lewis. Putzier got into the act today with a nice grab over the middle to promptly get nailed by CC Brown. Taylor and Morency ran alot with the first team with Smith. Those three looked good. And Rhodes fumbled the ball again.

CB- Chris McKenzie was kinda the star of the show today, grabbing two picks one off of Carr while he was on AJ. It was a nice play. The secondary was aggressive today and made some nice picks. J. Walker is looking alot better the more reps he gets and that is a good thing since he is our biggest corner right now. If our secondary can be opportunistic like they were today consistently we will force some turnovers. They were making the offense pay for badly thrown balls.

Overall it was a good practice and the guys were sharp. The OLine really brought it today and they had a fire about them. That is all I can really go into right now, so Mork, Jerek, and I will get together later and give a little more love out to the board...

This is sounding promising. Glad to hear the O-Line stepped it up. I hope the DB's continue to look, we need them to be, given how thin we are in the secondary. Maybe we will be pleasantly suprised when the season rolls around. :homer:

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm taking a break from the reports for a while. Maybe when we get a little closer to the KC game...

AJ you may be onto something, it seems to me that some people are twisting words or arguing with what we see on the field like it is not true. That bothers me abit. I may be with you on this one, Mork, Jerek, and I will do our thing tonight, but it may be the last one till after the HOF game or so.

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 12:50 PM
wow glad to see the O line stepping it up. Thanks for the report. :)

Runner
07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
AJ you may be onto something, it seems to me that some people are twisting words or arguing with what we see on the field like it is not true. That bothers me abit. I may be with you on this one, Mork, Jerek, and I will do our thing tonight, but it may be the last one till after the HOF game or so.

Come on Coach C - not everyone sees everything the same as you? People have the temerity to argue with you, and that's unacceptable? Others have been watching practices and hanging with the team too. Is there anything of value we might add to the boards that differs from your opinion?

Did you say what you meant to say?

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 12:57 PM
I enjoy the argument, but when someone is on second team or for a fact has done this or that and they want to question it I have a problem. Runner you may add what you want, because I think we may know some of the same things. Wink Wink. By all means argue with me, because as a man I am not always right and according to my chick I never am so eventhough it is hard to be perfect I will continously strive to be excellent in my pursuit of perfection. Ya know.

alphajoker
07-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the updates...and I'm glad to hear that the team is looking sharp!

threetoedpete
07-31-2006, 01:00 PM
thanks for the update.

real
07-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Coach C. I feel you...It's one thing to disagree with perceptions, but it's another thing for someone to tell you that what you have seen is false...

jerek
07-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Come on Coach C - not everyone sees everything the same as you? People have the temerity to argue with you, and that's unacceptable? Others have been watching practices and hanging with the team too. Is there anything of value we might add to the boards that differs from your opinion?

Did you say what you meant to say?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll chip in. I enjoyed going to camp immensely despite the heat and have enjoyed reporting on/discussing what I saw there. There has been some misconstruing of my words specfically, but for the most part I have felt that people have taken things well and responded with their own observations. I've freely admitted that I don't see everything, and on a football field scattered with 70-some football players, I'm sure to miss things. I'll watch specific drills and watch for certain players but there is plenty of room for contention and additional observations to be voiced.

Like Coach C said though, some things are just more obvious than others, and it's a little irritating to be argued when it seems so apparent to myself. I don't mind questions or desire for clarification, and I certainly don't even mind people questioning my perception of a player's general attitude, but it's just a little offbase when Joe Q Fan who wasn't there wants to tell me that I'm full of it, when I'm standing ten feet away from Seth Wand as Jason Babin repeatedly shoves him into a permanent ass print on the ground.

But hey -- we're a message board, we're all Texans fans, and that's why we're here. FWIW to all of you I genuinely enjoy the discussion most times; it's why I'm here.

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
I enjoy the argument, but when someone is on second team or for a fact has done this or that and they want to question it I have a problem. Runner you may add what you want, because I think we may know some of the same things. Wink Wink. By all means argue with me, because as a man I am not always right and according to my chick I never am so eventhough it is hard to be perfect I will continously strive to be excellent in my pursuit of perfection. Ya know.

dont sweat it coach my girl never thinks I am right either. Funny thing is I am right most of the time.:)

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
So Jerek is Jason Babin looking better this year at DE? Has he put on some weight?

Honoring Earl 34
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Coach , Jerek , AJ and Mork I read you guys before I read the paper FWIW . I just like different points of views and come up with trends .

The most important point is a lot of us share your enthusiasm and are thankful for your time

How is Kubiak doing as a Head Coach , does he seem content with his position ?

aj.
07-31-2006, 01:16 PM
AJ you may be onto something...
Actually my problem is the real job is demanding more of my time this week and maybe next.

As far as the other stuff -- I'm just trying to relay what I'm seeing and hearing (good and bad) to people who appreciate the info - and I know there are a lot of people who appreciate the info. I would be bothered if people didn't disagree with my opinion, because then I know they're not bothering to read what I sometimes take hours to prepare. That's when it's not worth it. I want to share opinions and observations and I want people to disagree - on merit - so we can all learn more about the team and the NFL in general.

If people think I'm making an astute observation - great... If people think I'm pulling stuff out of my ass - great. Credibility is a two-way street. I like the football debate/discussions/information here but there's nothing that's ever occurred on this message board that's caused me to lose any sleep or anything... except maybe when I'm writing VOF or other articles at 2:00 a.m.

The selfish thing I enjoy the most out of all this is meeting player's family members through email after one of my recaps on houstontexans.com (...been having a nice discussion with DaShon Polk's brother recently, as one example)...

Back to Day 4:

Honoring Earl 34
07-31-2006, 01:19 PM
because as a man I am not always right and according to my chick I never am so eventhough it is hard to be perfect I will continously strive to be excellent in my pursuit of perfection. Ya know

:tease: Its amazing how I ever got around this big city of ours ... because after I got married I was always going the direction . Their seems to be a million ways for a guy to catch a catfish but only one way for ( you fill in the blank ).

jerek
07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
So Jerek is Jason Babin looking better this year at DE? Has he put on some weight?

Babin looks improved. I believe he has put on weight (as much as 10-15 lbs IIRC, but just looking at him, he looks bigger and more in shape) and he looks stronger and more aggressive. I love his move to DE as he will be more of a vertical rusher/run stopper here and less of a coverage guy. I'm still not extraordinarily high on him and I think his moves could use polish, but as of now he is still taking most of the first team snaps ahead of Peek (who will slot in mostly as a situational rusher, like Mathis with the Colts and I predict similarly successful) and I think Babin will surprise a lot of people this year if he continues to improve. He has looked good in 1-on-1s as well as the team drills.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Not taking much offense guys. Dont make this thread about us, fellas, just a slight annoyance sometimes. Talk about the Texans and what you think, also post your questions so we can know somewhat of what to answer also.

the wonger need food
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
How did J. Walker look in the secondary today?

Does he have a legit chance at seeing some playing time or did he just have a couple of good days?

U4ikrob
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Any news on the Peek injury?? Was reading the reports and mentioned him going down and that they would report after x-rays?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2690&section=N%20Latest%20News

And how was TJ looking?? After being callled out a number of times now and being told he has to loose some weight I'm anxious to see if he's gonna man-up.

Any news on Demeco? I hear my main man D-Wreck is playing almost every LB position out there - with Rainer going down its looking like Demeco may be cracking the starting lineup. As I was saying back after the draft - I think Demeco will be giving anyone stiff competion for RoY if he gets to start this year. I definitely see him becoming a future Pro-bowl type player.

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
thanks for the update. Hopefully he will continue to improve :)

Kaiser Toro
07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
What type of routes are we seeing AJ running? Which ones does he and Carr look comfortable? How is Carr looking under pressure, footwork in and around the pocket?

tsip
07-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Why aren't you all talking more about the QBs?...nothing today, very little yesterday...

OzzO
07-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Agree with the above. Kinda like AJ wrote in VoF, when the defense does really well, you wonder if the offense is realy messing up (or something like that). What's Carr looking like these days with the revised system - from what I saw on ch 13's hour long special, I was liking the nice passes on target (would they highlight anything else?) but then hearing of the picks today, it sparked a renewed wonder. Overall - how is Carr, Rosen., and all QB's looking?

Oh, and maybe it's just a few highlights given v. thought out viewpoints? I know the majority appreciate y'alls review, especially those unable to attend or out of towners. It's kinda like the Texans ticker report.... just some info / observation till we can ALL see on August 12th.

HOU-TEX
07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Not taking much offense guys. Dont make this thread about us, fellas, just a slight annoyance sometimes. Talk about the Texans and what you think, also post your questions so we can know somewhat of what to answer also.

I hope ya'll reconsider about filling us in on TC daily practices. I look forward to coming to work and reading up on what happened at TC. IMO, it's better getting the info from a fans POV than anyone elses. Keep up the good work, it's very much appreciated.:yahoo:

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Wonger- I may have forgot to post it on the first part, but J. Walker looked pretty good, if you know about corner technique I can explain it further if you PM me, because it can get wordy. But for the casual he is gets better the more reps he gets, he also has some of the best hands of our secondary.

U4- I cannot talk about any injuries, past that TJ is TJ was TJ starting to think will always be TJ. Demeco ran with the first team alot today at MLB so that was nice.

KT- AJ routes are generally outs, deep outs, and slant variations. There is always the post, corner and straight nines. The slant is between Carr and AJ is deadly right now and they are clicking nicely. When Moulds is out there with them Carr almost always completes the pass, unless our line forces him to get out of the pocket. Under pressure Carr is making the throws and seems to be falling in love with the tight ends when the pressure is on. His footwork is good, but Kubiak talks to him after every throw to kinda break certian tendencies that CBs will pick up on. Also, Carr only threw two picks I think, cant remember right now because I am rushing. Anyway anyone who has been out at practice even the fans from so far away should have been able to see the nice passes from Carr on 11on11 drills over the past couple of days.

TSIP- Will go into it later on...

El Tejano
07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
From what I read on the practice reports, seems like David is doing fine and that AJ is running alot of slant routes which is basically giving him more of a chance this year to make runs after the catch, meanwhile Moulds is finding the holes in the zone (something I don't think any of our previous receivers were GOOD at) and then taking the ball to the house.

TexansSeminole
07-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Demeco ran with the first team alot today at MLB so that was nice.

Nice, thats what I like to see. DeMeco needs to take that MLB spot now with improvement in TC.

the wonger need food
07-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Wonger- I may have forgot to post it on the first part, but J. Walker looked pretty good, if you know about corner technique I can explain it further if you PM me, because it can get wordy. But for the casual he is gets better the more reps he gets, he also has some of the best hands of our secondary.

Yes, there was a blurb. I couldn't care less about technique... I want to see some plays being made. The couple of days I was I out there he was jumping routes and making his presence known. It looks like we have to have him and/or McKenzie step up.

You guys are doing a great job. Thanks again for sharing.

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Coach , Jerek , AJ and Mork I read you guys before I read the paper FWIW . I just like different points of views and come up with trends .

I also wholeheartedly second what 34 says here, though I do tend to look at
the papers (electronic version) first to see if W has invaded anybody else
overnight.
The only poster I like better than you guys right now is "BullPinPhotos" with
our daily allotment of TC pictures.
By the way, where is that guy at with our 7-31 pics ?
Thanks to all who post with TC info, especially for those of us who can't attend the sessions in person !

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Wonger just a thing on McKenzie if he was two or three inches taller the kid would be our starter. He is a D-Rob clone, but he is so small that it is just funny some time.

Kaiser Toro
07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Under pressure Carr is making the throws and seems to be falling in love with the tight ends when the pressure is on. His footwork is good, but Kubiak talks to him after every throw to kinda break certian tendencies that CBs will pick up on.

Not quite as fine as a Russian River Pinot from 2002, a plate of asiago, 10 year gouda, apples, grapes and some prosciutto overlooking the Pacific with hypnotic sirens bellowing in bass ala Barry White (also known as car radio on, windows and doors open). But I am digging it on Day 4.

Great stuff guys and get over the bs that you are wrongly and rightly feeling. You have been around here during the lean times and you are, at the moment, the link to that knowledge that keeps us here. Please help justify the time we put into this thing and give us our fix. Keep it coming. If you do not like someone's comment, great, move on. We would rather see you post your thoughts then see you have to debate your credibility. We are already starvin' like Marvin for a PM report.

the wonger need food
07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Wonger just a thing on McKenzie if he was two or three inches taller the kid would be our starter. He is a D-Rob clone, but he is so small that it is just funny some time.

So you're saying he's really 5'5" and not 5'8"?

It's sounds like we have a couple of undrafted gems in Walker and McKenzie. And you guys wanted to waste a draft pick on a corner.... :shades:

jerek
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Will add my two pennies ...

Carr looks good right now. More comfortable and is dealing well for the most part with the pass rush he is already receiving. As previously noted, they seem to be incorporating a lot of designed playactions and rollouts to take advantage of Carr's mobility and protect against the sack. Numerous flashbacks of Jake Plummer with more speed and a better arm IMO. I saw a handful of plays in which Carr either (a) went with the dump off, which was completed and is fine, or (b) went to the run, but in both cases where I would have liked to see him try to buy more time and get a longer, open route for additional yardage. He looks improved though and for the most part appears to be responding well to the pressure and expectations. He has thrown a handful of beautiful deep routes that were dead on and as Coach mentioned, the slant to AJ is just sick. I haven't seen Moulds practice much and am anxious to see how they develop a chemistry. FWIW I have watched Moulds take Andre aside many times and they seem to be hanging on the sidelines; exciting stuff.

Rosenfels looks good but is clearly of reserve caliber. Not a very strong arm but he seems to make good decisions. His deep ball is really weak but inside of 15 yards he is pretty money.

Porter, IIRC, is ahead of Pickett in terms of depth chart and hasn't shown a lot either way, but he looked okay in a lot of the passing drills.

Pickett has received extremely limited reps in the major team drills and appears likely to be practice team fodder.

Again, I am noticing a general trend of (a) a lot of mixed routes; short, long, out and in, and a lot of plays incorporating a safety valve, and (b) 3+ eligible receivers on a lot of plays. A few screens and a lot of backfield routes. A lot of misdirection plays on the run. Makes you downright giddy, and cannot help but imagine how this will look on the field against Philly. No more run-run-pass, no more playing not to lose; that's for sure.

McKinzie in my limited observation has looked good; sticks to his man really well, but inevitably gives up catches to taller receivers. Hopefully he will succeed in becoming more physical, as his size almost inherently limits him to nickel and dime packages. Unfortunately I haven't seen much of Walker one way or the other; just haven't looked for him, and on Sunday I was usually watching the offense or line drills.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
So you're saying he's really 5'5" and not 5'8"?

It's sounds like we have a couple of undrafted gems in Walker and McKenzie. And you guys wanted to waste a draft pick on a corner.... :shades:

DR is 5'10"

humbleone
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM

First, thanks a million Coach C, Jerek and others for taking the time to post your observations. Many of us are starving for anything "Texan" these days.

Regarding questions, here are mine:

(1) Have you seen us in 11 on 11 practicing against a "cover 2" and if so how do we look?

(2) What is Moulds doing so far and when he is not in there, who is lining up in the "2"?

(3) Sounds like Putzier is getting most of the TE reps with the 1st team, where is our boy BJ seeing action?

Thanks again guys...your terrific!!!

:redtowel:

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Kub was just interview on 610...............He stated that Mario was looking great and that the intention was to use him liberally INSIDE AND OUTSIDE in order to create mismatches and confusion for the offense.

SESupergenius
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. For those of us not in the Housto area this absolutely fantastic to get a fans viewpoint. I respect everyone's take on the actions but please do keep in mind that we all may not see the same things eye to eye. I always look forward to camp reports.

powerfuldragon
Not quite as fine as a Russian River Pinot from 2002, a plate of asiago, 10 year gouda, apples, grapes and some prosciutto overlooking the Pacific with hypnotic sirens bellowing in bass ala Barry White (also known as car radio on, windows and doors open). But I am digging it on Day 4.

That was a little too much, man. :D

Kaiser Toro
Will add my two pennies ...

Carr looks good right now. More comfortable and is dealing well for the most part with the pass rush he is already receiving. As previously noted, they seem to be incorporating a lot of designed playactions and rollouts to take advantage of Carr's mobility and protect against the sack. Numerous flashbacks of Jake Plummer with more speed and a better arm IMO. I saw a handful of plays in which Carr either (a) went with the dump off, which was completed and is fine, or (b) went to the run, but in both cases where I would have liked to see him try to buy more time and get a longer, open route for additional yardage. He looks improved though and for the most part appears to be responding well to the pressure and expectations. He has thrown a handful of beautiful deep routes that were dead on and as Coach mentioned, the slant to AJ is just sick. I haven't seen Moulds practice much and am anxious to see how they develop a chemistry. FWIW I have watched Moulds take Andre aside many times and they seem to be hanging on the sidelines; exciting stuff.

Rosenfels looks good but is clearly of reserve caliber. Not a very strong arm but he seems to make good decisions. His deep ball is really weak but inside of 15 yards he is pretty money.

Porter, IIRC, is ahead of Pickett in terms of depth chart and hasn't shown a lot either way, but he looked okay in a lot of the passing drills.

Pickett has received extremely limited reps in the major team drills and appears likely to be practice team fodder.

Again, I am noticing a general trend of (a) a lot of mixed routes; short, long, out and in, and a lot of plays incorporating a safety valve, and (b) 3+ eligible receivers on a lot of plays. A few screens and a lot of backfield routes. A lot of misdirection plays on the run. Makes you downright giddy, and cannot help but imagine how this will look on the field against Philly. No more run-run-pass, no more playing not to lose; that's for sure.

McKinzie in my limited observation has looked good; sticks to his man really well, but inevitably gives up catches to taller receivers. Hopefully he will succeed in becoming more physical, as his size almost inherently limits him to nickel and dime packages. Unfortunately I haven't seen much of Walker one way or the other; just haven't looked for him, and on Sunday I was usually watching the offense or line drills.

By the beard of Zeus have we been given such fair gifts that not only one eye shall see, but many. A conduit to the road to redemption rather than the road to perdition if you will.

In other words, great stuff.

Kaiser Toro
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
That was a little too much, man. :D

Planning and executing are two different rodeos my friend, frog or feline? If my Mr. Kitty saw how you were humiliating his fellow feline he would be extremely put out.

Meloy
07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Actually my problem is the real job is demanding more of my time this week and maybe next.

As far as the other stuff -- I'm just trying to relay what I'm seeing and hearing (good and bad) to people who appreciate the info - and I know there are a lot of people who appreciate the info. I would be bothered if people didn't disagree with my opinion, because then I know they're not bothering to read what I sometimes take hours to prepare. That's when it's not worth it. I want to share opinions and observations and I want people to disagree - on merit - so we can all learn more about the team and the NFL in general.

If people think I'm making an astute observation - great... If people think I'm pulling stuff out of my ass - great. Credibility is a two-way street. I like the football debate/discussions/information here but there's nothing that's ever occurred on this message board that's caused me to lose any sleep or anything... except maybe when I'm writing VOF or other articles at 2:00 a.m.

The selfish thing I enjoy the most out of all this is meeting player's family members through email after one of my recaps on houstontexans.com (...been having a nice discussion with DaShon Polk's brother recently, as one example)...

Back to Day 4:AJ tell me how to find your voice of the fan article again. I've not found it since the new format. Also, if Wand is running the second team to get his attention, what does this guy need to wake up? I've always been a Wand fan but the above notes are worrisome. Wand should be kissing Kube's ring to still be on team.:twocents:

jerek
07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
First, thanks a million Coach C, Jerek and others for taking the time to post your observations. Many of us are starving for anything "Texan" these days.

(1) Have you seen us in 11 on 11 practicing against a "cover 2" and if so how do we look?

(2) What is Moulds doing so far and when he is not in there, who is lining up in the "2"?

(3) Sounds like Putzier is getting most of the TE reps with the 1st team, where is our boy BJ seeing action?

I haven't watched the defensive playcalling too closely. That said, generally speaking, we seem to be running a lot of different man zones. I haven't seen a lot of blitzing (or should I say, as much as I expected to see) to this point but then again, we may not need a lot of blitzing this year, given the way our D-line is shaping up. I haven't noticed a lot of Cover 2, but in general, against the zone, Carr seems to be going to a lot of routes underneath and across the middle. I definitely like the mixed look, however; the man zones have looked solid and again, our D-line (and the various LB blitz, when we send it) is absolutely punishing.

Moulds has looked good in very limited reps. Apparently he has having difficulty adjusting to the heat and hasn't been very active in the morning sessions. Watched him in the 1 on 1 WR drill: quick feet, very sharp routes, good hands, big and strong. Honestly, he is sort of a veteran, less athletic version of AJ. Pretty much what we expected and hoped for. Once he and Carr get a rhythm, he is going to be a vicious alternative to AJ. I've noticed Walters getting reps at the #2, with Lewis and Schifino getting a few tries. I am still surprised to see Derrick Armstrong get no love from the coaches; other than the fact that he still is just not fast.

I haven't noticed Joppru much either way but I haven't watched for him enough either. I did note one nice catch on his part. He looks confident and in shape. He's looked a little rusty routewise but he's been mixing reps with Daniels.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
AJ tell me how to find your voice of the fan article again. I've not found it since the new format. Also, if Wand is running the second team to get his attention, what does this guy need to wake up? I've always been a Wand fan but the above notes are worrisome. Wand should be kissing Kube's ring to still be on team.:twocents:

Go to HOUSTONTEXANS.COM and click on new.............then look on the right side of the page for "VOICE OF THE FAN"..or just click here (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2692&section=N%20Latest%20News)

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow thanks a ton guys I love seeing what you have to say. All of us fans with limited Texans coverage really appreciate it :thumbup

tsip
07-31-2006, 02:39 PM
...some nice info on TC--you all are doing a great 'job'--THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!:highfive:

BradK10
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
thanks for all the info guys...especially for this fan stuck in Arizona

rockabilly
07-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Question. When I read about ints I am thinking 2 things. Either A, our defense is performing great or B, our offense is performing bad.

Of course it would be an endless battle as to figure that out because either one is performing bad on a play or one is performing good.

So the question to the guys that get to see the camps:

After 4 days, which unit (offense or defense) in your OPINION is performing better? Or is it at a middle ground?

WWX
07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow… This is a great place to be. The reports on this mornings practice made my Monday bearable. I like that Spencer is spending quality time with the starters and looks like he’s being carved into a truly talented NFL linemen. With plenty of time to iron out all the wrinkles Spencer should be a key piece of the puzzle, a very big piece at that.

On the secondary did anyone see signs of hope? I’ve heard on Buchanon and McKenzie and all sounds great. I think McKenzie will be an effective asset on Dime and Nickel packages. Is the veteran Dexter McCleon up to anything? If we have a decent pass coverage to compliment our D-Line… Hmmm…

Anyway thanks to those who give us such detailed reports on TC, yall are great… Laters. :trophy:

humbleone
07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I haven't watched the defensive playcalling too closely. That said, generally speaking, we seem to be running a lot of different man zones. I haven't seen a lot of blitzing (or should I say, as much as I expected to see) to this point but then again, we may not need a lot of blitzing this year, given the way our D-line is shaping up. I haven't noticed a lot of Cover 2, but in general, against the zone, Carr seems to be going to a lot of routes underneath and across the middle. I definitely like the mixed look, however; the man zones have looked solid and again, our D-line (and the various LB blitz, when we send it) is absolutely punishing.

Moulds has looked good in very limited reps. Apparently he has having difficulty adjusting to the heat and hasn't been very active in the morning sessions. Watched him in the 1 on 1 WR drill: quick feet, very sharp routes, good hands, big and strong. Honestly, he is sort of a veteran, less athletic version of AJ. Pretty much what we expected and hoped for. Once he and Carr get a rhythm, he is going to be a vicious alternative to AJ. I've noticed Walters getting reps at the #2, with Lewis and Schifino getting a few tries. I am still surprised to see Derrick Armstrong get no love from the coaches; other than the fact that he still is just not fast.

I haven't noticed Joppru much either way but I haven't watched for him enough either. I did note one nice catch on his part. He looks confident and in shape. He's looked a little rusty routewise but he's been mixing reps with Daniels.

Thanks again "J"...wow football is really getting fun again. One more question (at least for awhile I promise): How is Carr doing with his vision so far (looking off receivers etc...)?

PeekingDuck
07-31-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't post much...

But I do want to say a quick word of thanks to those who give us these TC reports. As someone who lives outside the US now I depend on this message board for info on my team (you certainly won't see us in national media outlets...yet!)

Anyway, thanks guys, from the soon-to-be founder of the Texans fan club London office. And yes, we'll be meeting at the Texas Embassy (http://www.texasembassy.com/) for beers and nachos!

cheers,
Peek

jerek
07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
As far as Carr's vision goes, I think he is doing pretty well finding the open receiver. He has thrown a couple of INTs throughout camp so far, and there have been a few times where I would have liked to see him exercise a little more patience, but has for the most part handled the pass rush well. IMO a big part of Carr's "vision" has to do with giving him viable routes and receivers that will reliably catch what's thrown to them. Kubiak and Calhoun are implementing a very different offense and it's my understanding they are teaching Carr an accompanying method with which to work his progressions.

McCleon looks rusty but I figure he will factor into the dime package sooner or later. He's at least in shape and is working his way into the team.

As for O vs. D, the answer right now is, some of both. Our D and especially our front four are going to create a lot of pressure that will make our pass coverage look a lot better. Our front guys are overpursuing a little too much right now and biting for play fakes, but that is equal parts lack of experience and aggression. Offensively, an OL just takes more time to gel. It's just the nature of the position and the teamwork that must occur across each play. Our O-line is very young and the coaches are doing a lot of subbing right now. Right now, they are literally improving noticeably each day, and I expect that to continue as positions become more finalized and as the rookies gain experience.

DocBar
07-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Moulds seems to be receiving a lot of rest. Is this because of the heat or has he strained or tweaked something? It seems he has missed as many practices as DD.

jerek
07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Moulds seems to be receiving a lot of rest. Is this because of the heat or has he strained or tweaked something? It seems he has missed as many practices as DD.

My understanding is that he is strictly having trouble adjusting to the heat. He has sat out of most of the morning practices and I'm not sure how much work he's been getting in the afternoons in the bubble. Don't think (and haven't heard) it's an injury and I expect him to be worked in as he adjusts. In what limited reps I saw him take, he looked good.

Bottom line, this ain't Buffalo :)

tulexan
07-31-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't post much...

But I do want to say a quick word of thanks to those who give us these TC reports. As someone who lives outside the US now I depend on this message board for info on my team (you certainly won't see us in national media outlets...yet!)

Anyway, thanks guys, from the soon-to-be founder of the Texans fan club London office. And yes, we'll be meeting at the Texas Embassy (http://www.texasembassy.com/) for beers and nachos!

cheers,
Peek

I wasn't a big fan of Texas Embassy

DocBar
07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
My understanding is that he is strictly having trouble adjusting to the heat. He has sat out of most of the morning practices and I'm not sure how much work he's been getting in the afternoons in the bubble. Don't think (and haven't heard) it's an injury and I expect him to be worked in as he adjusts. In what limited reps I saw him take, he looked good.

Bottom line, this ain't Buffalo :)
Thanks for the info. I hope he's getting some practice time in to build some timing and all with DC. I'm sure he's putting in the mental effort, both teaching and learning.

cj5776
07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
past that TJ is TJ was TJ starting to think will always be TJ.

Can someone clarify this for me?

wags
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Can someone clarify this for me?

I think it means he do what he do....or something like that.:um:

Farough
07-31-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks for all the info guys...especially for this fan stuck in Arizona

and for this fan in Canada...

cj5776
07-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I think it means he do what he do....or something like that.:um:

It sounds like people do not have a lot of faith in Travis Johnson. I thought he was making strides, loosing wieght, improving footwork and quickness. Maybe it just takes time for people to see a difference.

Lucky
07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Again, I am noticing a general trend of (a) a lot of mixed routes; short, long, out and in, and a lot of plays incorporating a safety valve, and (b) 3+ eligible receivers on a lot of plays. A few screens and a lot of backfield routes.
jerek, what have you seen regarding the pass protection schemes? Are you seeing a lot of 5 man routes, or are they keeping FBs in to block sometimes? Have the tackles gotten any help from the TE to block Mario?

The Preacher
07-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the updates texanpride and willingness to serve those less knowlegeable and distant.

Wolf
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Derrick Armstrong.. just wondering.. what I have read the last 4 days is he isnt' very fast but hands of glue... what is holding him back...not to compare Armstrong with Steve Largent, I just wonder.. Largent wasn't fast but knew how to get open .. Is Armstrong's problems that he doesn't know how to get open? or run good fakes on routes? don't know the open spaces in the zones? (probably a horrible comparison or WR's but only one that I could think of that was slow off the top of my head)

Hutch13
07-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Do the players sign after and/or before they start with their drills?? thanks in advance

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 05:24 PM
and for this fan in Canada...

and Illinois here :) :texflag:

aj.
07-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Sets/routes/action:

Tight ends and fullbacks in motion to split wide.

AJ in the slot with Moulds split wide on the same side.

Lots and lots and lots of short crossing routes to TEs and WRs.

FB in flats

Lots and lots of boots and rollouts

Not as much deep as people will clamor for - but they will take their shots.

TE on Mario constantly - sometimes strong left.

Hape as a FB

FWIW

Texans86
07-31-2006, 05:54 PM
I am greatly interested in y'alls point of view on Chris Taylor. Apparently he is very decisive and getting a lot of attention from the coaches. That's great news, considering the lack of progress from D.Davis. I was curious if C.Taylor has been used to catch the ball out of the backfield. From what I've read, he is fast, but I haven't heard anything about his hands. Not sure if it's because he hasn't been tested, or if it hasn't come up.

Along with everyone else who can't make it to camp, thank you.

aj.
07-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Good hands out of the backfield. I wouldn't call him fast - he's shown enough speed to get around the corner at times, but his biggest asset is that he's a decisive one-cut and go kind of back that's perfect for this system. He's a big back ~220 and will try to run people over, but he won't run away from anyone. If he gets through one of those cutback lanes and into the second level, he can punish tacklers.

Add: He's trying out for the kick returner job as well.

jerek
07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
jerek, what have you seen regarding the pass protection schemes? Are you seeing a lot of 5 man routes, or are they keeping FBs in to block sometimes? Have the tackles gotten any help from the TE to block Mario?

See AJ's reply ... a lot of 3 and 4-man routes ... not much at 5. Lot of fullback inside either going out for pass to the flats or as extra blocker. Interesting mix so far. TE is a blocker a lot of the time on Mario.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
07-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Good hands out of the backfield. I wouldn't call him fast - he's shown enough speed to get around the corner at times, but his biggest asset is that he's a decisive one-cut and go kind of back that's perfect for this system. He's a big back ~220 and will try to run people over, but he won't run away from anyone. If he gets through one of those cutback lanes and into the second level, he can punish tacklers.

Anybody have a combine stats on him... or is that why he was undrafted?

aj.
07-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Didn't get an invite to the combine.

Below average Pro Day workout. Ran only mid 4.5's on turf which was slow based on prior 40 times. Played on a bad team.....

....no other explanation for being undrafted.

Like I told someone in a PM earlier, I'm excited about Taylor -- he's been impressive in camp and is all the buzz but let's keep it all in context. Remember when Jason Anderson burst on the scene a couple of years ago? Same buzz. Although I think Taylor brings more to the table than Jason, expecially in the size and power dept. Not to mention his style fitting the system perfectly.

Don't forget Wali Lundy whose actually quicker than Taylor, although not as big. I'm excited to have both guys here.

Texans86
07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
If he can play now, I don't care much how he played in college, other than the fact that it'd be nice to look at stats. Personally, I'd prefer to look at him in a actual game. Hope he gets a lot of touches this preseason, which he should, since he isn't a starter (yet).

aj.
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
You will see Morency, Lundy and Taylor a LOT on August 12 @ 7:00 p.m. Central.

Texans86
07-31-2006, 06:18 PM
DVR is amazing, can't wait to watch it, multiple times possibly.

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 06:25 PM
I must ask, performance wise so far, how would you guys who attended TC rank the players at RB and CB. I'm curious with all of this Taylor "hype" so far along with other undrafted free agents Chris McKenzie from last year and John Walker from this year. And how has Lewis Sanders look? From what it sounds like and if Walker and McKenzie have been as good as it seems I see Sanders on the way out. Just my opinoin. Thanks again guys!

ALSO: Yes! The Texans game will be aired on the NFL Network Sunday morning! I'll be listening to the boards on Sunday night and I'll actually get to watch the game on Sunday :yahoo:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/preseason_2006

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Lewis Sanders is just fine. It is early right now but look for D-Rob and Buch to start with Sanders and McKenzie in on dime and nickel. Sanders gets most of the run on first team with Dunta sitting out. Walker right now is looking good but he is going to be battling T. Williams right now. They both are showing flashes and then make rookie mistakes. Walker is a decent bit larger though and could not only help in the secondary but on ST.

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Terrell Davis, the great Broncos running back out of Georgia taken in the 6th round, was anything but a burner and actually not very big either, I'm thinking about 210 llbs. Nor was he really shifty, but rather a slashing runner with high knee action and a real hard runner who was a hitter. When I finally get a look at Taylor, hope I see some similarity to the former Bronco.

aj.
07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Chris Taylor reminds me more of a guy like Marion Barber in terms of his game and physical attributes. He's a lot thicker in the lower body than TD.

MorKnolle
07-31-2006, 08:19 PM

Babin has been a pleasant surprise thusfar. I still think Peek is the better pass rusher but Babin is probably a more solid allround DE as of now. I heard Babin is currently weighing around 272 and Peek is around 268, so they have both bulked up some. Babin needs to work on developing more moves though, he's somewhat of a 1 trick pony right now.

Any news on the Peek injury?? Was reading the reports and mentioned him going down and that they would report after x-rays?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2690&section=N%20Latest%20News

And how was TJ looking?? After being callled out a number of times now and being told he has to loose some weight I'm anxious to see if he's gonna man-up.

Any news on Demeco? I hear my main man D-Wreck is playing almost every LB position out there - with Rainer going down its looking like Demeco may be cracking the starting lineup. As I was saying back after the draft - I think Demeco will be giving anyone stiff competion for RoY if he gets to start this year. I definitely see him becoming a future Pro-bowl type player.

I don't think Peek is really hurt, he looks like he was feeling sick the last day or two, probably from the heat. Dunta is day to day with a tweaked ankle, Faggins is out 6-10 weeks with a broken foot, Rainer is done for the year, and there have been some other minor tweaks and problems adjusting to the heat, but I'm not aware of any other real injuries.

TJ has improved marginally the last couple days and is seeing some more reps, but he still has a long way to go before he gets much playing time. Weaver has looked very good so far and they play the same position on the line, so unless Weaver gets hurt I don't see much PT for TJ.

Demeco has looked pretty solid so far and seems to be picking things up pretty well, especially considering he's having to learn multiple positions. I was originally thinking he'd probably see more time at OLB this year but with Rainer's injury he could see significant time at MLB, he spent most of today at 1st team MLB with Cowart on 2nd team.

Agree with the above. Kinda like AJ wrote in VoF, when the defense does really well, you wonder if the offense is realy messing up (or something like that). What's Carr looking like these days with the revised system - from what I saw on ch 13's hour long special, I was liking the nice passes on target (would they highlight anything else?) but then hearing of the picks today, it sparked a renewed wonder. Overall - how is Carr, Rosen., and all QB's looking?

Oh, and maybe it's just a few highlights given v. thought out viewpoints? I know the majority appreciate y'alls review, especially those unable to attend or out of towners. It's kinda like the Texans ticker report.... just some info / observation till we can ALL see on August 12th.

Carr still looks sharp, other than the DLine is getting pretty consistent pressure on him and in a real game he'd have to move around more than he is for practice. Rosenfels had a bit of a rough day today, especially against our 1st team defense, but overall he's looked pretty good. Pickett looks ok but nothing special, he's seen very few reps but he just arrived here three days ago and is learning the whole system. Porter has shown flashes of talent but is making a lot of rookie mistakes, which is to be expected from an undrafted rookie.

The offense has gone against some zone, but not really a cover 2. Right now they are running our offensive scheme vs. our defensive scheme, and we aren't running a cover 2 so the offense hasn't seen much of it at all. The defense is running a lot of man to man thusfar (may add more zone coverages later, who knows at this point other than the coaches), and have run some man zones and a little cover 2, but that hasn't been a primary defense that the offense has faced thusfar.

Moulds has been held out of a couple morning practices but I've heard he participates fully in the afternoon ones out of the heat, so I think that's been his problem thusfar. When he's not playing he's right there watching and picking up on things and offering advice to AJ and others.

They have actually rotated the TEs a lot. Putzier and Bruener have basically exclusively been in with the 1st team, but Daniels, Steele, and Joppru have all seen some reps with them too and more reps with 2nd/3rd team. Bruener has seen a lot of action too, and has pretty good hands, he's just real slow. Putzier is a nice receiving option. Joppru and Daniels have seen a decent amount of action as H-Backs too and seem to be embracing that versatile role and both have looked pretty solid. Steele has looked ok the few times they look his way.

I'm not Jerek but I'll add my comments to this. Thusfar the pass protection has been fairly suspect, although I think a lot of that is our DLine playing very well, playing very aggressive, and really being driven by Smith/Karm. At times we've seen a lot of play actions, bootlegs, etc. and Carr has thrown the ball very well on the move in these situations. So far when they've had him stay in the pocket he's getting pressured pretty quickly, although he does look a lot better at staying with it, bailing only if necessary, and either throwing it away out of bounds or waiting and finding a receiver on the move rather than taking a hit behind the LOS. The TEs and FBs don't stay in and pass block much in this system, they have a decent amount where they block for a second then release for a pass, and they've run some screens that have been pretty effective against the high pressure. Mario, Peek, Babin, and Weaver have all looked great so far, especially when it's the four of them together on nickel formations.

I am greatly interested in y'alls point of view on Chris Taylor. Apparently he is very decisive and getting a lot of attention from the coaches. That's great news, considering the lack of progress from D.Davis. I was curious if C.Taylor has been used to catch the ball out of the backfield. From what I've read, he is fast, but I haven't heard anything about his hands. Not sure if it's because he hasn't been tested, or if it hasn't come up.

Along with everyone else who can't make it to camp, thank you.

Haven't seen a ton of catches out of the backfield but it's not a real big part of their offense anyways, FBs and TEs get a decent amount of catches but not so much the RBs. Taylor has dropped some balls but I think he will be a fairly productive receiver. I think Morency has pretty nice hands too, and once he stops dancing so much (he is getting better at this) then I think he'll get more action and be productive as well.

Lewis Sanders is just fine. It is early right now but look for D-Rob and Buch to start with Sanders and McKenzie in on dime and nickel. Sanders gets most of the run on first team with Dunta sitting out. Walker right now is looking good but he is going to be battling T. Williams right now. They both are showing flashes and then make rookie mistakes. Walker is a decent bit larger though and could not only help in the secondary but on ST.

I'll add that McCleon has looked decent in the fairly limited action he's seen in the day that he's been here, plus they are on the lookout for more CBs so we may have another effective veteran for the season.

Number19
07-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Anybody have a combine stats on him... or is that why he was undrafted?
Pro Day Results: Chris Taylor

Dates: 03/07/06
Height: 5112
Weight: 223
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 9'-7"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.24
3-Cone Drill: 6.99

Combine Results: Wali Lunday

Height: 5110
Weight: 214
40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
20 Yrd Dash: 2.67
10 Yrd Dash: 1.61
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 9'3"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.37
3-Cone Drill: 7.01

What stands out is Taylor's 20 yd shuttle time vs Lunday's. Maybe he's a little quicker, in the short area, hitting the holes/lanes???

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info and the sig :thumbup

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
By MorKnolle
""Babin has been a pleasant surprise thusfar. I still think Peek is the better pass rusher but Babin is probably a more solid allround DE as of now. I heard Babin is currently weighing around 272 and Peek is around 268, so they have both bulked up some. Babin needs to work on developing more moves though, he's somewhat of a 1 trick pony right now."
I think your info about Babin's weight is about right, but not so about Peek,
atleast according to John McClain.
The other day on SR 610 he said Peeks weight had actually dropped to 250 lbs. And he seemed very confidant and convincing about his info, because he even joked about wondering if a guy could be fined for reporting at less weight than they wanted him at, as apparently both guys were instructed to put on the lbs with their coming conversion to DE from LBs last season.
And as McClain said, 250 is definitely on the light side for a "full time" DE.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Peek is heavier than 250 that is a fact. It has dropped from the 270 he was at but he is at the over/under 265 depending on the meal and bathroom breaks ya know what I mean.

aj.
07-31-2006, 09:01 PM
The daily roster on 7/28 has Peek at 258. Looking at him, that seems about right. Robert Mathis is around 240 tops and plays nearly every down.

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 09:07 PM
The daily roster on 7/28 has Peek at 258. Looking at him, that seems about right.
McClain said he was at 258 at the end of last year, but inexlicably lost 8 lbs
during the off season even though he was told (as was Babin) to beef up for
his new position in the 4-3 at DE.
I've not had the luxury of attending any TC, so have not seen Peek for myself.
I'd be the first to say McClain could be mistaken about his info, be he did seem confidant about this, FWIW ?

MorKnolle
07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
By MorKnolle
""Babin has been a pleasant surprise thusfar. I still think Peek is the better pass rusher but Babin is probably a more solid allround DE as of now. I heard Babin is currently weighing around 272 and Peek is around 268, so they have both bulked up some. Babin needs to work on developing more moves though, he's somewhat of a 1 trick pony right now."
I think your info about Babin's weight is about right, but not so about Peek,
atleast according to John McClain.
The other day on SR 610 he said Peeks weight had actually dropped to 250 lbs. And he seemed very confidant and convincing about his info, because he even joked about wondering if a guy could be fined for reporting at less weight than they wanted him at, as apparently both guys were instructed to put on the lbs with their coming conversion to DE from LBs last season.
And as McClain said, 250 is definitely on the light side for a "full time" DE.

Peek had trouble keeping his weight up last year, but he has definitely bulked up. While on the sidelines I overheard someone asking him what he weighed now and he said 266, so that's what I'm going on. I trust Peek's own words over John "show up for the last 10 min of practice" McClain.

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Peek had trouble keeping his weight up last year, but he has definitely bulked up. While on the sidelines I overheard someone asking him what he weighed now and he said 266, so that's what I'm going on. I trust Peek's own words over John (show up for the last 10 min of practice" McClain.
OK. The source can't get much better than Peek himself on this topic.
Probably serves me right for paying attention to what McClain said.

SAMURAITEXAN
07-31-2006, 09:16 PM
and Illinois here :) :texflag:
and Japan

powerfuldragon
07-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Planning and executing are two different rodeos my friend, frog or feline? If my Mr. Kitty saw how you were humiliating his fellow feline he would be extremely put out.
it's not me. it's the crazy japanese.

http://www.petoffice.co.jp/catprin/english/

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Robert Mathis is around 240 tops and plays nearly every down.
I also saw someplace else that Mathis was going to be an every down DE for
the Colts. I assume they'll leave Feeney over on the weakside, which should
make it even tougher for a DE that small trying to handle the rushing plays
across from a 300 lb tackle and a TE whos gonna be maybe 25 lbs bigger than him.
I don't see how the Colts can expect to handle rushing plays over on his side ?

aj.
07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
John "show up for the last 10 min of practice" McClain.

I was at the gate when McClain signed in on Friday and Sunday and he was there before 8:30 each day and stayed after practice. He was walking alone with Sherman toward the locker room when I last saw him Sunday after practice was over.

He was there at 7:30 this morning with Granato.

powerfuldragon
07-31-2006, 09:30 PM
I was at the gate when McClain signed in on Friday and Sunday and he was there before 8:30 each day and stayed though practice. He was walking alone with Sherman toward the locker room when I last saw him Sunday long after practice was over.
Hahaha, no, no, no, silly goose. That was Sean McClain... John McClain was in Tennessee eating raisins out of vince young's hand.

jerek
07-31-2006, 09:37 PM
FWIW I would gauge Peek at 260ish. He is substantially larger than last year and I don't know where McClain got his 250 from. Peek still looks perpetually angry, like he wants to eat Peyton Manning's children; what I like to see in my defensive lineman. And yes, in my time there, I've noticed McClain around throughout most of the early morning practices. I resisted the urge to ask him how Vince Young is doing.

And to echo what Mork pointed out earlier; that is one of the most positive things I've seen in DC's game in camp this year. It's so simple it seems stupid, I know it was a beef with a lot of fans last year. In those (increasingly rarer) plays where he is forced to flee the pocket, he's either made a good run or thrown the ball out of bounds. I know it's only practice, but there is an already apparent emphasis on getting rid of the ball and not taking negative yardage when the play is lost. Good news to his detractors and his fans alike.

Hahaha, no, no, no, silly goose. That was Sean McClain... John McClain was in Tennessee eating raisins out of vince young's hand.

Hahahahahaha.

F-minus67
07-31-2006, 10:14 PM
After going to the link that PowerfulDragon put up, I'm wondering why no one has called the ASPCA on that web site and if you can actually see an animals soul die in a picture.

powerfuldragon
07-31-2006, 10:15 PM
I like how in his blog post today (found here (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/07/big_man_comes_to_camp.html#more))

he says:
Cal's unofficial title is assistant owner. I've been wondering if Cal and his older brother, Cary McNair, ever complain to their father about the first pick in the draft. They're both Longhorns. You'd think they would have had more influence, and, well, never mind.

I'm determined to get through an entire blog without mentioning the former Longhorns' quarterback.

hah. i wonder if he reads and posts here.

After going to the link that PowerfulDragon put up, I'm wondering why no one has called the ASPCA on that web site and if you can actually see an animals soul die in a picture.
it's japanese. out of thier jurisdiction.

ojthecat
07-31-2006, 10:40 PM
I have not yet been able to attend a practice but was wondering how Lundi has looked up to now?

Thanks for the updates

TexansSeminole
08-01-2006, 02:18 AM
What stands out is Taylor's 20 yd shuttle time vs Lunday's. Maybe he's a little quicker, in the short area, hitting the holes/lanes???

Yea, plus look at his broad jump. Chris is more explosive than Lundy, but judging by their college careers, I would say that Lundy has more endurance.

ocd
08-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Sets/routes/action:

1. Lots and lots and lots of short crossing routes to TEs and WRs.

2. Lots and lots of boots and rollouts

FWIW

So I'm thinking we're gonna see a hybrid (current buzz word in vogue) version of Bill Walsh and Shanihan's offenses.

Short passes will do two things...build Carr's confidence immensely opening up the running game. And the second, keep our defense on the bench where it's supposed to be.

Also, thanks guys for keeping us filled with info.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
So I'm thinking we're gonna see a hybrid (current buzz word in vogue) version of Bill Walsh and Shanihan's offenses.

Short passes will do two things...build Carr's confidence immensely opening up the running game. And the second, keep our defense on the bench where it's supposed to be.

................And open it up for the long ball.