PDA

View Full Version : Wali Rainer

TFL
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Rainer was undergoing tests, and the Texans will know the extent of his injury today.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4082817.html

Don't know if already posted

feebleminded
07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
"We had him undergo X-rays just to ease our minds, and everything's fine," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We need to look at some of these other guys anyway. We'll get him healthy, even if it takes three or four more days."

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4082817.html

Don't know if already posted

I think they are talking about D-Rob not Wali in that quote.

TFL
07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Yea you are right i read it wrong. I will edit it.

BigDTexansFan
07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Last I heard, Wali Rainer was spotted in cast, Kubiak reportedly said we will know more today about Wali. so hopefully is a short term injury and just trying to stabilize it until healed.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Last I heard, Wali Rainer was spotted in cast, Kubiak reportedly said we will know more today about Wali. so hopefully is a short term injury and just trying to stabilize it until healed.

If an injury is expected to require only a few days of "stabilization," a boot is usually the choice. Most problems leading to casting, require 4-8 weeks depending on the problem..........then rehabbing..........then trying to get back in playing shape. The injury needs to be defined before making even half way accurate prediction.

aj.
07-31-2006, 12:26 PM
He couldn't put any weight on it when they stood him up to get him into the golf cart. It appeared to be a fairly serious knee or ankle injury by the way he was reacting

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 02:05 PM
He couldn't put any weight on it when they stood him up to get him into the golf cart. It appeared to be a fairly serious knee or ankle injury by the way he was reacting

610 radio just reported.............."broken foot...........out 6 to 10 weeks."
No report of where the break is.

the wonger need food
07-31-2006, 02:16 PM

So much for "less injuries in Kubiak's training camp" theories that were floating around here.

That's 2 pretty good blows in 3 days. On top of that Domanick isn't getting any better.

At least you know who is still healthy.

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 02:30 PM

sounds like a common lenght of time...same with Faggins. Hopefully nobody else gets hurt or they might be out 6 to 10 weeks.

chuckm
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
610 just reported that Rainer's out for the year with a broken ankle ... :(

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 02:57 PM
610 just reported that Rainer's out for the year with a broken ankle ... :(
Isn't Cowart still out ?
So that puts DeMeco at MLB right now ?

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Less severe ankle fractures can be treated by nonoperative means....casting.....rehab.

However, surgery is often needed to stabilize ankle fractures. Usually, the surgery involves the placement of screws and plates. The patient then is placed in a cast or splint after surgery for a variable period of time depending on the severity of the fracture. Weight bearing alone may be delayed until there is evidence of early fracture healing. This may take 4-8 weeks depending on the severity of the fracture.Then rehab and a harder back to shape play.

chuckm
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Kubiak said he got rolled up yesterday at practice, will go on IR, and is done for the year .... just now on 610

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Kubiak said he got rolled up yesterday at practice, will go on IR, and is done for the year .... just now on 610
I dunno, but I think Cloak is in denial about Rainer being out for the year ?

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
I dunno, but I think Cloak is in denial about Rainer being out for the year ?

Not in the least, nunusguy..........You think of an ankle fracture which is a joint fracture differently and more serious in nature than a "foot" fracture as was initially reported. With being called "out for the season," I would supect that surgery will be require, probably screws and plate with prolonged rehab and recovery to preinjury status. When you don't know what the exact nature of injuries are, it's tough to prognosticate. Hope you understand.

wags
07-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Well, this certainly sucks.

cj5776
07-31-2006, 03:54 PM
At least Cowart is Ok, I think he had some minor stuff during OTA. I think that has cleard. So with Rainer out, Ryan becomes the understudy of Cowart and the MLB spot.

SESupergenius
07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Not in the least, nunusguy..........You think of an ankle fracture which is a joint fracture differently and more serious in nature than a "foot" fracture as was initially reported. With being called "out for the season," I would supect that surgery will be require, probably screws and plate with prolonged rehab and recovery to preinjury status. When you don't know what the exact nature of injuries are, it's tough to prognosticate. Hope you understand.
Man I missed the medical talk from Cloak, I almost getting a rush!:crutch:

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Hope you understand.
I do and you obviously know what you're talking about.
What I was saying was I thought you were doubtful about the validity of
the 610 report.
But thanks for the details and the explanation.

Insideop
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, if we go with what we got, who do y'all think will make the team that wouldn't have made it? Or if we try to get somebody :sos: "out there" in FA land, who do y'all think it will be? Any opinions? :hmmm:

Carr Bombed
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Man this sucks, I saw this comming a couple of days ago

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=392152#post392152

Another player lost to a foot/ankle injury.

Forget about the players that were already injured after last season, Wong and DD.

We have now lost 3 players (Faggins, Rainer, Mathis) for considerable time and its only day 4.

MorKnolle
07-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Less severe ankle fractures can be treated by nonoperative means....casting.....rehab.

However, surgery is often needed to stabilize ankle fractures. Usually, the surgery involves the placement of screws and plates. The patient then is placed in a cast or splint after surgery for a variable period of time depending on the severity of the fracture. Weight bearing alone may be delayed until there is evidence of early fracture healing. This may take 4-8 weeks depending on the severity of the fracture.Then rehab and a harder back to shape play.

I heard he broke his fibia (tibia? whichever one is your primary shin bone) in addition to messing up his ankle joint. Supposed to be a 4-6 month rehab from what I heard, and Kubes did say he will go on IR and is done for the year.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM
This really sucks, because Wali was one of our more vocal leaders and the defacto fire it up guy for the LBs. He was giving Cowart a good battle for the MLB spot also.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I heard he broke his fibia (tibia? whichever one is your primary shin bone) in addition to messing up his ankle joint. Supposed to be a 4-6 month rehab from what I heard, and Kubes did say he will go on IR and is done for the year.

Tough injury. Both the tibia (the major shin bone) and the fibula (the smaller bone on the outside part of the lower leg) wrap around the talus bone like a cup to form the ankle joint. The inner bony prominences at the ankle is called the medial malleolus (actually the end of the tibia). Of the weight transferred through the leg, about 90% is carried by the tibia. From the sounds of the combination of these injuries, he has undoubtedly suffered significant ligament damage. He will indeed require surgery probably placement of plate and screws.

South Texan
07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Someone please tell me a post I saw the other day about Wong being ahead of schedule is true!!!

MorKnolle
07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Tough injury. Both the tibia (the major shin bone) and the fibula (the smaller bone on the outside part of the lower leg) wrap around the talus bone like a cup to form the ankle joint. The inner bony prominences at the ankle is called the medial malleolus (actually the end of the tibia). Of the weight transferred through the leg, about 90% is carried by the tibia. From the sounds of the combination of these injuries, he has undoubtedly suffered significant ligament damage. He will indeed require surgery probably placement of plate and screws.

I knew you'd have a bettter explanation than what I could offer. From what I heard it I think it was the fibula (not sure where fibia came from in my previous post), and I think I heard the ligaments between the two had also suffered some damage, hence the combination of these will keep him out this year. I did like in Kubiaks' interview he said they liked what they had seen of him thusfar and would keep him on and give him another chance next year, rather than kicking him to the curb.

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
I must say, I was very impressed in how he was doing before his injury and I didn't really think of him as much of a competitor for the starting MLB spot until Kubes brought him up after OTAs. It's sad to see his season is over but injuries are going to happen and you have to be prepared for them and luckily we are.

threetoedpete
07-31-2006, 08:59 PM
I must say, I was very impressed in how he was doing before his injury and I didn't really think of him as much of a competitor for the starting MLB spot until Kubes brought him up after OTAs. It's sad to see his season is over but injuries are going to happen and you have to be prepared for them and luckily we are.

Agreed: I've got my fingers crossed this isn't a trend.
Seems like every year one of the groups catches the injury bug . Hopfully this will be the last for a while at the lb position. Wonder if they'll give Dixon a sniff now ?

Thanks for the posts CnnnnD. Really helps a knuckle drager like me.

MorKnolle
07-31-2006, 09:15 PM
The only possible positive out of this is it will likely mean Demeco will see more reps in practice and more playing time in preseason and the season, so if he ends up developing quicker and becomes a stud that much faster then I won't mind so much. However I am sad to see Rainer go down like that, I was quite impressed with him so far.

mexican_texan
07-31-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't like seeing players injured, but at least Kenneth Pettway has a better chance of making the team, even if it is only until Ranier gets better(assuming its not season ending.)

MorKnolle
08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I don't like seeing players injured, but at least Kenneth Pettway has a better chance of making the team, even if it is only until Ranier gets better(assuming its not season ending.)

Don't count on Pettway making it, out of curiosity why is that a positive to come out of Rainer getting hurt? Rainer is done for the year.

texan279
08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Not sure if this was posted...

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/52917/115

HOUSTON (Ticker) - Houston Texans linebacker Wali Rainer will miss the 2006 season due to a broken left ankle.

Rainer, the backup to Sam Cowart at middle linebacker, suffered the injury during practice on Sunday.

The Texans placed Rainer on injured reserve on Tuesday and signed Saleem Rasheed.

A fourth-round pick in 2002, Rasheed played in 45 games with the San Francisco 49ers but totaled just 26 tackles and one sack.

Texans defensive coordinator Richard Smith was Rasheed's linebackers coach in 2002.

The Texans on Tuesday also signed cornerback Kevin Garrett.

mexican_texan
08-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Don't count on Pettway making it, out of curiosity why is that a positive to come out of Rainer getting hurt? Rainer is done for the year.
I'm a glass half-full guy and the water in the glass is the fact that Pettway has a better chance at making it. Can't say I've seen him play, but I like the underdogs. :superman: