PDA

View Full Version : Leinart a no show at camp

OzzO
07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Does this mean that we'll have discussion with Cards' fans now about a hold out? (kidding... geez, don't take it so personal) :)

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) - Matt Leinart did not report to training camp Sunday as contract negotiations cooled between the Arizona Cardinals and their first-round draft pick.

Even as he vowed to stay out of the negotiations, coach Dennis Green blamed Leinart's camp for the failure to reach agreement.

"We have an excellent deal on the table," said Green, who did not provide details.

Green spoke to reporters after the rest of the team checked in to its dormitory at Northern Arizona University. Players were asked to report Sunday, but Green said Leinart won't be considered late unless he misses the first practice at 8:45 a.m. Monday.

Arizona appeared close to a deal with Leinart when his agent, Tom Condon, came to Phoenix Friday to meet with club officials. But Condon left the Valley after the sides did not meet Sunday....

fox sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5831458)

But when the coach gets in a blames the others - that can't be good.

Double Barrel
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
tsk tsk tsk....it amazes me that players with no NFL experience can be so....I don't know...."selfish"?

I understand trying to get as much as you can, but there comes a point where your decisions affect more than just your own development (which shouldn't be underestimated at this point in Leinart's career). He's also messing with the team itself by holding out.

powerfuldragon
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
tsk tsk tsk....it amazes me that players with no NFL experience can be so....I don't know...."selfish"?

i like how when i said more or less the same thing a month or two ago, people came back and said i was way off and that the players are just trying to make thier money.

it's true that they're just trying to make money, but they're unproven.

WildBlackBear32
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Makes me smile. I hate Leinart more than any other player in the (or soon to be) NFL. Anything that stunts/slows his development will get a thumbs up from me.

Double Barrel
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
i like how when i said more or less the same thing a month or two ago, people came back and said i was way off and that the players are just trying to make thier money.

it's true that they're just trying to make money, but they're unproven.

Sometimes the truth hurts, man, and people don't want to face it. Stick to your guns, PD, because it is what it is. There are two sides to every coin.

TransplantTexan1
07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
I heard it speculated the sticking point in negotiations is the Cards are offering a six-year deal and are firm on the six years whereas Leinart's camp want five years.

It doesn't seem like much on the one hand but six years is a long time to be tied to a rookie contract, especially if Leinart has the success that everyone in the org hopes for.

TwinSisters
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Bidwell is a cheapskate, but Green is usually a player's kinda coach... so go figure. ( the two picks that Green talked about also held out for a little bit too )

I wonder who they have at number 2? John Navarre, mister Michigan.
They should be fine with Leinart out for a little while. I mean he played like what 7 years in college or something. :D Plus is he is NFL ready anyway.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
so glad we didn't draft him........................

nunusguy
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
USC players and their agents have such an inflated idea of their value.

Hutch13
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
I always felt like this was the toughest guy to sign even more than Bush.

Coach C.
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Leinhart is a bit of a prima donna, he needs to get into camp, because he and Vince Young will likely see PT this year.

HOU-TEX
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I think Nick Lachey is persuading him to hold out for more money.:bananasplit:

yumyum
08-01-2006, 05:39 AM
He didnt get drafted #1 but he wants #1 money. Sounds familar? haha. Should have came out last year.

SheTexan
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
This is disappointing, I thought he would make every effort to be in camp on time. Maybe his agent is a hard*ss and not Matt. Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway!!

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Never liked Leinart, never will. He's an arrogant hollywood pretty boy who thinks he is better than he is. He needs to accept the fact that he slipped in the draft and take the money for the spot he was drafted.

Vince > Matt

Lucky
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
It doesn't seem like much on the one hand but six years is a long time to be tied to a rookie contract, especially if Leinart has the success that everyone in the org hopes for.
That's why an agent will stick in a fat option bonus after year 4 (ala Carr's contract). Either the club picks up the option (and additional years) or the player walks. It forces the club to make a decision when the player becomes eligible for free agency. I can't believe Condon wouldn't put that in.

KKHouston
08-01-2006, 02:14 PM
USC players and their agents have such an inflated idea of their value.

This is the truth. Simple fix to this. Pay ALL rookies the same salary. If you perform... you then get rewarded.

Matt Leinart blew it last year, and is bitter now.

TexanFan881
08-01-2006, 03:55 PM
He needs to be sacked a few times and maybe it will straighten him out. David Carr seems to be a non-selfish person :)

TexansCanes
08-01-2006, 04:55 PM
This is disappointing, I thought he would make every effort to be in camp on time. Maybe his agent is a hard*ss and not Matt. Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway!!

exactly, we don't know what the deal being offed is and with the history of arizona and spending money it could be a terrible deal. i remember everyone was ripping phillip rivers for not signing but his contract was terrible. yeah it was for 54 million but to get that he had to win four super bowls and four mvps or something like that to get some of that. no big deal becuase matty isn't going to play this year if things go according to plan, of course that might be a big if.

SheTexan
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Matt Leinart blew it last year, and is bitter now.

How can finishing your college education be blowing it?? I commend any of these players who finish college rather than copping out in their Jr year just for the almighty dollar. NFL careers can be mighty short, and these guys need all the help they can get to learn how to manage their money. Nothing is more important than an education!! JMO!!

gwallaia
08-01-2006, 07:28 PM
5 year deal instead of 6? Maybe he does not want to be stuck with the Cardinals for too long.

Still think Leinart will be the best QB taken in this draft.:spy:

KKHouston
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
How can finishing your college education be blowing it?? I commend any of these players who finish college rather than copping out in their Jr year just for the almighty dollar. NFL careers can be mighty short, and these guys need all the help they can get to learn how to manage their money. Nothing is more important than an education!! JMO!!

SheTexan... I agree. Was not commenting on the decision to finish school - I applaud that decision. There was talk he decided to stay another year to increase his value, and that is what I was referring to. Regardless, Leinart doesn't appear to have his head in the game as much as he does Marketing. I'm sure he's seriously disgruntled about being in Arizona, as opposed to New York which is where he would have preferred to go.

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
There was talk he decided to stay another year to increase his value, and that is what I was referring to.

Well that talk was pretty ignorant then because he was virtually unanimously viewed as the #1 pick if he came out last year.

jerek
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
5 year deal instead of 6? Maybe he does not want to be stuck with the Cardinals for too long.

I agree as he is the most pro ready and steps into the easily superior offensive team. Two All-Pro caliber WRs and the Edge. I can't even name who VY or Jay Cutler will be working with this year.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree as he is the most pro ready and steps into the easily superior offensive team. Two All-Pro caliber WRs and the Edge. I can't even name who VY or Jay Cutler will be working with this year.

You can't name Chris Brown, Drew Bennet, David Givens, LenDale White, Travis Henry, Tatum Bell, Rod Smith, or Ron Dayne?

WildBlackBear32
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM

He took ONE class last year. BALLROOM DANCING. His degree was already done after his junior football season.

infantrycak
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
You can't name Chris Brown, Drew Bennet, David Givens, LenDale White, Travis Henry, Tatum Bell, Rod Smith, or Ron Dayne?

Sure--Gimpy, Stretch, Overpaid, Overweight, Toker, Dancer, Clutch and System.

threetoedpete
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I think long term, Cuttler was the guy to get we'll see. Leinart is the most NFL ready today, won't argue that. Anybody that has to "wind up" to get rid of the ball, has an excellent chance to be mediocre in this league. If zona's line comes around Leinart should be ok. I'm not seeing Dan Marino though.

Didn't we dance this dance over Rivers/ Manning a couple of years ago ? Bidwell holds all the cards. Leinart may be counting birds in the bush from '05.

KKHouston
08-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Leinart may be counting birds in the bush from '05.

Exactly.

KKHouston
08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Well that talk was pretty ignorant then because he was virtually unanimously viewed as the #1 pick if he came out last year.

Yes. Like Reggie was this year.

jerek
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Honestly, no. Sounds like a lot of FA leftovers and castoffs to me. In any event, it does nothing to counter my driving point, however lost in poor humor: there is no comparing that supporting cast whatsoever to Leinart's. I think Leinart will be most successful (at least initially) because of his superior cast and QB-friendly playcalling.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Honestly, no. Sounds like a lot of FA leftovers and castoffs to me. In any event, it does nothing to counter my driving point, however lost in poor humor: there is no comparing that supporting cast whatsoever to Leinart's. I think Leinart will be most successful (at least initially) because of his superior cast and QB-friendly playcalling.

If you don't know any of those players then you must not watch football.

jerek
08-02-2006, 03:34 PM
If you don't know any of those players then you must not watch football.

I know who all of them are. And I am saying, they are for the most part castoffs and I can only point to Drew Bennett and Tatum Bell as players I see having the potential to have a major impact this year. See infantrycak's post.

In any event my point was one of hyperbole and given in poor humor, but you continue to ignore it. If you are comparing the playmaking ability of that list to that of the Edge, Anquan (sp) Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, and Bryant Johnson -- let alone the difference between the two offensive lines -- then it's you who doesn't watch football.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I know who all of them are. And I am saying, they are for the most part castoffs and I can only point to Drew Bennett and Tatum Bell as players I see having the potential to have a major impact this year. See infantrycak's post.

In any event my point was one of hyperbole and given in poor humor, but you continue to ignore it. If you are comparing the playmaking ability of that list to that of the Edge, Anquan (sp) Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, and Bryant Johnson -- let alone the difference between the two offensive lines -- then it's you who doesn't watch football.

I'm not comparing the either at all. I just didn't get that you were making a joke. (i really thought you were saying you couldnt name one Titans or Broncos offensive player)

jerek
08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm not comparing the either at all. I just didn't get that you were making a joke. (i really thought you were saying you couldnt name one Titans or Broncos offensive player)

It was hyperbole, but honestly, I knew all of those guys' names ... I just meant it to indicate the difference in strength of supporting cast. Poorly worded on my part. Whateva.

jerek
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
words mean something. I thought you have been reading Infantrycak rail about this?...stuff like this is maddening

Sorry?

Runner
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
words mean something. I thought you have been reading Infantrycak rail about this?...stuff like this is maddening

Being a fan of clear and precise writing - where is this railing?

MightyTExan
08-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Is he signed yet?

santo
08-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Is he signed yet?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2542873

according to this article, he hasn't....

Leinart, meanwhile, who dropped to Arizona at No. 10, is still without a contract, and the two sides have made little progress toward an agreement.

HJam72
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Well....is he signed now? :)

OzzO
08-14-2006, 08:37 PM
He is really knowing how to make friends with the coach.

Cardinals | Green lashes out at Leinart
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:23:18 -0700

During his press conference Monday, Aug. 14, Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green revealed his frustrations over QB Matt Leinart still not under contract and at camp. "When you put $14 million on the table for the 10th pick in the draft, that is a lot more than anyone you've ever heard of for the 10th pick in the draft," Green said. "I think we have been more than generous." Green proceeded to cut the press conference short and left the podium. (from KFFL)

The site also noted latest offer was around 5th pick money.

Cardinals | Team makes new offer to Leinart
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:42:01 -0700

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN, reports the Arizona Cardinals made a new contract proposal to QB Matt Leinart Sunday, Aug. 13, that would put Leinart around the value of a fifth-overall draft pick. The structure of the deal, however, is said to be the sticking point in negotiations.

texan279
08-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Ridiculous...let him sit...

WildBlackBear32
08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I say trade him for next years first rounder to a team like Detroit...

jerek
08-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Leinart had a hell of a game today...I may have to reconsider my thoughts on him. I had him pegged as a poor mans Pennington.

Man I've been pumping him since he went to the Cards. Leinart has sufficient talent but you can't underestimate how playing for Denny Green and throwing to Fitz, Boldin, and Pope can help anybody's pass game out.

Heywood
08-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Leinart had a hell of a game today...I may have to reconsider my thoughts on him. I had him pegged as a poor mans Pennington.

keep watching him.

he has excellent feet (he's not VY, but who is) and he has incredible vision. boomer esiason is a better analogy than gimp pennington.

Heywood
08-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah...I can see some Boomer in his game. Denny is going to have to find some linemen, but that offense is going to be scary by next year.

they have the 2nd-worst worst OL in the history of football (to our own recent homeys).

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 07:28 AM
man really? my friend in AZ always said they had amazing OLinemen but absolutely nothing else. he must be either behind the times or just wrong lol.

4Texans
08-28-2006, 08:17 AM
man really? my friend in AZ always said they had amazing OLinemen but absolutely nothing else. he must be either behind the times or just wrong lol.

They've had some high draft choices on the OL, but they never seem to pan out. Could be their QB's. Green can get their OL problems turned around with Kurt and Matt back there, plus Edge.

Honoring Earl 34
08-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I've read on the Titans MB how they should have drafted the local guy Cutler . I have'nt looked since Leinart completed 12 in a row but I bet its heating up .

Runner
08-28-2006, 09:15 AM
They've had some high draft choices on the OL, but they never seem to pan out. Could be their QB's. Green can get their OL problems turned around with Kurt and Matt back there, plus Edge.

Now they have Milford Brown!

I think they are set up to be a good power blocking team for running plays this year.