PDA

View Full Version : Texans Backups??

BroussardSaint
07-31-2006, 12:22 AM
If Carr,D.Davis,AJ,or Moulds went down who would replace them? and are they any good?

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 12:30 AM
If Carr,D.Davis,AJ,or Moulds went down who would replace them? and are they any good?

Carr - Rosenfels (decent backup option)

AJ or Moulds - Walter/Mathis/Armstrong/Shifino/Lewis (looks wide open, if an injury were to happen we'd be in deep trouble but they could probably do decent if one has to step up into the #2 WR position)

Davis - Lundy/Smith (Antowain Smith could shoulder the load but I think it would be more likely that Lundy would become the starter if DD isn't able to recover from his injury)

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Davis - Lundy/Smith (Antowain Smith could shoulder the load but I think it would be more likely that Lundy would become the starter if DD isn't able to recover from his injury)

Actually, this could be wide open here.

If Morency's foot gets to feeling better and if he can adapt to the one cut and go mindset, he could be very, very good in this offense. He's very fast. But right now, he's dancing too much and he's got plantar fascitis.

Antowain Smith is a good power-back option but he's getting up there in years and he'd probably only get a lot of touches in an RB-by-committee sort of setup.

Wali Lundy and Chester Taylor are both supposed to be very good. A lot of guys who've been at the TCs are high on Taylor right now. A lot of guys like Rhodes but he doesn't seem to be getting many touches in TC so he might be on the way out.

And if Kubes can bring that Denver magic with him, then his system might take someone like a Lundy or Taylor and turn them into a 1600 yard rusher.

TexansSeminole
07-31-2006, 05:35 AM
Actually, this could be wide open here.

If Morency's foot gets to feeling better and if he can adapt to the one cut and go mindset, he could be very, very good in this offense. He's very fast. But right now, he's dancing too much and he's got plantar fascitis.

Antowain Smith is a good power-back option but he's getting up there in years and he'd probably only get a lot of touches in an RB-by-committee sort of setup.

Wali Lundy and Chester Taylor are both supposed to be very good. A lot of guys who've been at the TCs are high on Taylor right now. A lot of guys like Rhodes but he doesn't seem to be getting many touches in TC so he might be on the way out.

For one, Morency is not fast. He can run a 4.6 maybe a 4.55 on a good day. Smith will be our power back, and probably get 75 carries over the year, maybe more if DD gets hurt. Looks like Lundy and Taylor are the favorites for the rest of the running backs, so they would get some time in a DD injury.

The worst injury for us would be at WR.

Have y'all addressed you're off. line that much this year? and also can they protect Carr better? (not being a smart @$$ just trying to have a friendly Chat) I really don't think Carr is the QB to bring you to the next level.

Yes, the offensive line was addressed this year with two third round picks, and some Free Agency help. With the increase in talent on the D-line, the O-line should get better accordingly.

TexansSeminole
07-31-2006, 05:45 AM
It seems you are hurting at all 3 positions if one would go down..except maybe Carr.. ?? I don't see you getting any worse than him.. I wish he could be the MAN but i don't see it happening!!!!

We will see but our WR corps would not be horrible if one of our starters went down, we have good depth there, that just happens to be where our best players are. Carr would not be good either to go down, he is looking to have a good year.

Corrosion
07-31-2006, 06:05 AM
A 1600 yard rusher is kinda pushing it huh! Have y'all addressed you're off. line that much this year? and also can they protect Carr better? (not being a smart @$$ just trying to have a friendly Chat) I really don't think Carr is the QB to bring you to the next level.

The Texans Run blocking was pretty good last season , DD got 975+ yards last season in only 11 games , Its the pass protection that was abysmal (68 Sacks) .... Had the pass blocking been better the rushing game would probably been more effective.

Corrosion
07-31-2006, 06:36 AM
I think the Colts will come back to the pack this season .... the Jaq's may even win the division . I dont like Pey-ME-A-Ton either and cant wait too see someone , anyone knock him on his can :shades:

Marshall'sLaw
07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
A 1600 yard rusher is kinda pushing it huh! Have y'all addressed you're off. line that much this year? and also can they protect Carr better? (not being a smart @$$ just trying to have a friendly Chat) I really don't think Carr is the QB to bring you to the next level.

Ok Carr has never actually had a chance to prove himself. This will be the year for him to step up. The o-line is improved with mike flanagan at center so mcKinney moving back to his original position. Then with Andre Johnson healthy and Eric Moulds keeping him from getting doubled even triple teamed. Then we actually have a threat at tight end this year. We have not had a tight end that could catch a ball since billy miller. If those safetys think they can drop back and cover our recievers we will just hit jeb across the middle of the field.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Denver has a habit of taking late round backs and turning them into big producers. That's why I said that "If Kubes can bring that Denver magic with him..."

The offensive line has been fairly good at run blocking the past couple of years. We've added a pro bowl center (on the downside of his career, granted) and a couple of very talented rookies that could have been drafted earlier than the 3rd round. We still have problems, though. But our offense is going to be much, much different than it has been. There are going to be a lot more passes to the tight end and moving pockets (something not done during Capers regime). Carr is going to be asked to do a lot more and I think he can do it. I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt. Here's a guy who's never thrown his line under the bus.

But as to Carr getting us to the next level... I don't agree with that statement for 2 reasons. The first is that I think Carr has a lot of untapped talent and potential. From a recent quote from Carr it seems the Capers/Pendry offense was based on everyone just doing their job and not really knowing what everyone else was supposed to be doing. Including the QB. I think we'll see a lot more responsibility and leadership from Carr this year.

The second is that I don't think you really have to have a "great" performing QB to get to the next level if you have a good running game and a strong defense. I really don't think that Roethlisburger is a great QB, I think he was just put in the right position at the right time. The same is true of Dilfer when he won the SB. Our defensive line this year is going to be scary and hopefully that will help out the other areas. I don't expect us to get to the playoffs this year but I think next year we're going to be a good team.

Oh, and my bad about Morency. I thought he was faster than that.

Tailgate
07-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I really don't think Carr is the QB to bring you to the next level.

Just a question. But what exactly are you basing this off of??