PDA

View Full Version : Its going... going... GONE!!!

AfricanCracker
07-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I have the understanding that most members on this forum are more of the "glass half full" type, thus shooting optimism around like its the truth... There is no problem with that type of a mentality, its just unrealistic.. Gosh I hope I am wrong, but being a pessimistic a-hole that I am... I think it is unrealistic to expect immediate improvement... BUT, yet again... by adding a proven winner at the head coach slot, makes me second guess my initial pessimism towards our beloved texans... So, to get to my main point, I will ask this question...

The texans went 2-14 last season, and at times we looked discouraged and unmotivated, thus leading us to play with no heart... With the bulk of the players from that team returning, how will our team react to a rough start to the season? or even a tough stretch of games?? I am concerned with the "losing" mentality that has already been integrated into the majority of our players.... This training camp seems almost no different than any other camp held by capers... players and coaches are expressing their optimism for the upcoming season, while blah blah blahing about whatever.. I just hope that when the "chips are down", the ***** doesnt hit the fan with our team like it has in the past... because most of our players are SO used to playing for nothing, Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?

southtexan
07-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I have the understanding that most members on this forum are more of the "glass half full" type, thus shooting optimism around like its the truth... There is no problem with that type of a mentality, its just unrealistic.. Gosh I hope I am wrong, but being a pessimistic a-hole that I am... I think it is unrealistic to expect immediate improvement... BUT, yet again... by adding a proven winner at the head coach slot, makes me second guess my initial pessimism towards our beloved texans... So, to get to my main point, I will ask this question...

The texans went 2-14 last season, and at times we looked discouraged and unmotivated, thus leading us to play with no heart... With the bulk of the players from that team returning, how will our team react to a rough start to the season? or even a tough stretch of games?? I am concerned with the "losing" mentality that has already been integrated into the majority of our players.... This training camp seems almost no different than any other camp held by capers... players and coaches are expressing their optimism for the upcoming season, while blah blah blahing about whatever.. I just hope that when the "chips are down", the ***** doesnt hit the fan with our team like it has in the past... because most of our players are SO used to playing for nothing, Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?
Time will tell. I don't believe that we're going to the superbowl or that we will make the playoffs but I do believe that we will see improvements, eventually we'll be a solid team.

texanfan2100
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Hello everyone,

what say you?

Show me a team that isn't optimistic this time of year. No one goes into training camp saying, "Yeah, I'll think we'll win about four games this year." All coaches say everything looks great, and all fans are allowed to be somewhat optimistic.

That being said, anyone saying the Texans are gonna win 10 games and go to the playoffs this year are setting themselves up for a letdown. If it happens, I'll be pleasantly suprised. But I'm hoping for six to seven wins this year. That would be progress. And this is the one time of year where everyone can be optimistic.

Marcus
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
It all depends on what your 'realistic' expectations are for the upcoming season. Keeping in mind that the team DID go 2-14 last season, (and not forgetting that) then you can expect the team is not going to get better overnight. It's going to take awhile. Enjoy the transition from loser to winner, and that in itself will make watching a winner more enjoyable.

Don't equate pessimism for realism. It's real easy to do. It's real easy to look at it 'glass half empty'.

And another thing. Is it too much to ask that you keep your pessimism in check until you've watched a couple of pre-season games at least?

Please.

Kaiser Toro
07-30-2006, 12:26 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Do not get optimism, as a stand alone trait, confused with the difference in the last two staff's method of operation and how they disseminate the message to the team. There is a causal raleationship so need for a comparative measurement.

We are indeed optimistic because of the style change and the way the players are receptive to the new regime. Kubiak has been an intangible difference maker for years and has been one in everything he has touched to date with the Texans, therefore I am optimistic.

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2006, 12:32 PM
:lightbulb: The pessemist is never dissapointed . He cannot celebrate with vigor either when his train comes in .

OzzO
07-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I think we're closer to the 7-9 season before than the 2-14 previous season. Last season, I think there was a buy out on multiple levels - mentally and physically by players and coaches (those that stayed the entire season) and without at least a half-hearted buy-in by the players to what the coaches are preaching, there will be 2-14.

This year, yep there's the pre-season optimisim of fans and players - but can't you just see or feel a difference this year? Some of the same general things may have been said so far this year as last year's preseason, but maybe it's the way it's said or that it doesn't sound PC or scripted. Dunno - it some seems like, at least, there is player buy in to the optimism this year.

Agree with the above - I don't think there's a playoff this year (though that would be the icing), but I do think there will be a close to 8-8 season with possibly a "winning season". The first half of the schedule will be rough with the the teams the Texans are playing along with learning their new system, but hoping that'll turn around the 2nd half of the season.

staind755
07-30-2006, 12:51 PM
I think going 8-8 this year is very possible if not better. We lost 6 games last year by 7 points or less. With the upgrades we got on both sides of the ball, minus a few injuries, with all new personal we will win for thank half of those 7 point loss games. Hopefully we will compete and have a chance to WIN the games were predicted not too. Does anyone remember just 2 years ago I believe, the Texans lost on a last second Field goal to the Colts here in Houston? I'm not saying we can beat the Colts, but we can definitey compete. OUR coaching staff alone blew a few games last year. LIke they say, Any team can win on any given Sunday. Lets just hope it has a "W" next to the Texans....

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I have the understanding that most members on this forum are more of the "glass half full" type, thus shooting optimism around like its the truth... Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?

I say...

You got it all tangled up. If you find 100 people out in a field while it's pouring down raining, with funnel clouds, thunder, lightning, and a big old twice burnt patch of smoldering grass... unto which they are standing. You expect to find nothing but optimist.

That's the only reasonable explanation. Reason. Not idealism from sophist.

That said.

I eat lots of animal crackers with my milk. My favourite is the bengal looking one. It's crunchy and tasty... and good. If somebody could cap that losing tradition there, it is possible that lightning will not hit the same spot 4 times in a row.

BUT then again when I get to the LION cracker... oOOo man do I get depressed. There goes all my milk.

South Texan
07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Positives:
New coaching philosphy that is more hands on and 1 on 1 with players
Coaching staff is more passionate
A defensive scheme and players that should put more pressure on the opposition
Upgraded o-line and more targets for the QB
Potential for returning players to really be optimistic because of the changes

Negatives:
Leaning a new system on both sides of the ball
Dependence on rookies to step up and learn fast
Shell shock for returning players from last year... having to put last year behind them
Lack of depth in some areas, especially DBs
May need more time for team to "gel"

So, with that in mind I am thinking:

0 to 3 wins: Back to the drawing board
4 to 7 wins: Step in the right direction
8 to 10 wins: BIG step in the right direction
11+ wins: Cinderella just delivered the slipper in person

Personally, I am expecting 6 to 8 wins depending on how that pointy little ball bounces, but I sure wouldn't mind if we got the slipper.

phan1
07-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Let's not mistake "excitement" with "optimism". Having the Texans out here working is damn exciting, and I'm sure as heck am excited to at least read about how the team is doing during training camp. But does that mean our team kicks ass and we're the favorite to win the Super Bowl next year? Hardly. I'm a realist too and there are plenty of things to be worried about:

1) From everything I heard, it looks like our O-line still sucks. All I hear about is how our tackles are getting beat left and right during scrimmage and 1 on 1 drills. I'm sure glad that this new system is supposed to get Carr to get rid of the ball in a very timely manner or he'll once again be the most sacked QB in the league again. Hopes that Wand would come back and be our starting LT for years to come have been grossly exagerated, and apparantly, he was benched for legitimate reasons. Put Pitts back at LT dammit!

2) Faggins is a huge blow to us on an already presumably weak seconday. This sucks, what else can I say?

3) Carr definitely doesn't look bad, but I would think the jury is still out on how well he'll be able to take the next step when the season starts.

But there's a whole lot of good news too! We've been looking for a pass rush since our rookie year, and it looks like we're finally about to get it! Mario is doing great, and our RB situation is not as dire as it looked with DD not being 100%. I'm a realist too, and I can defiinitely see that we have some weaknesses as well as strengths. But Texans training camp has got me all pumped up for the season! :whip:

Honch Delgado
07-30-2006, 02:50 PM
From a realists POV, there is a strong possibility we could start the season 0-4 hitting the bye. That being said, we won't lose 14 games this year. The coaching change and the improvements to both sides of the line should shore up the pass rush and pass protection problems. I expect Mario Williams to do good things simply because his power and athleticism should overwhelm the tackle. Buchanan will shine this year, that's my longshot prediction. When given the ability to roam he should make plays. I'd be content with 6 wins and competitive effort each game. Less than 6 wins and 3 or 4 blowouts in my opinion should be considered a disappointment.

Hottoddie
07-30-2006, 02:53 PM
:lightbulb: The pessemist is never dissapointed . He cannot celebrate with vigor either when his train comes in .

I disagree. The pessimist is always disappointed when his ship comes in. The only way he finds joy & happiness, is to be right. :thud:

AfricanCracker,

I'd rather be a sunshine a-hole, than a pessimistic a-hole, any day. :D

Thus, I'm predicting 9 wins this year.

GP
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Pessimistic people are people who mock others for having hope.

They gloat when the ship doesn't come in, saying, "See, I told you so."

And they offer an indifferent shrug and a "tsk tsk..." if the ship does come in.

They win either way and thus have nothing to lose for their attitude.

Doesn't take much skill or talent to be a pessimist.

But go out on a limb and expect the best of somebody or some thing--Risk your pride for the reward of seeing your ship sail into the harbor. There is an eventual satisfaction in being optimistic that can't be explained. It must be experienced.

Better to have believed and be disappointed than to have disbelieved and be proven short on faith.

Double Barrel
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Show me a team that isn't optimistic this time of year. No one goes into training camp saying, "Yeah, I'll think we'll win about four games this year." All coaches say everything looks great, and all fans are allowed to be somewhat optimistic.

That being said, anyone saying the Texans are gonna win 10 games and go to the playoffs this year are setting themselves up for a letdown. If it happens, I'll be pleasantly suprised. But I'm hoping for six to seven wins this year. That would be progress. And this is the one time of year where everyone can be optimistic.

I agree. Being optimistic in training camp is the essence of renewing your fanatic devotion to the team. To believe that anything can happen, that your team is the one that might capture that elusive chemistry that seems to permeate championship calibur teams.

I'm optimistic, but I temper it with being realistic, as well. I'd be happy with our team if they go 6-10 this year, as long as they were close and in the game for those 10 losses.

AfricanCracker
07-30-2006, 04:11 PM
errrr... first of all, being pessimistic about my texans this upcoming season makes sense considering we were 2-14 last season.. If anything, i wouldnt say that i am a total pessimist, but I am very cautiously optimistic about our expectations for this season. Yes, I would be happy with a 6-10, maybe a 7-9 season... but more importantly, I do believe that we have the talent in order to maybe (with major emphasis on the word maybe) reach a 10-6 record. That doesnt matter though, in reality... we have an UNPROVEN coach (whom i think is great, but still unproven), we have NO depth at key positions, and we have many players (carr, williams, o-line..) that will be under the microscope this season, thus adding pressure that they have never faced in houston before. Please do not reply by questioning my knowledge or "talent" of the texans, because that is very unnecessary.. I thought that I would post a thread to change things up in this forum.. because all I have been seeing (for example) is "Jopprue - getting much deserved attention" and what not... while bennie has YET to even play in a game.. much less a preseason game. but that is besides the point...

Suprisingly, not a single fan gave their "two cents" on the question of my post.. I just wanted to know ya'lls take on our "losing mentality" or so to say our "losing tradition"... i think this is a serious matter, and yes kubes is a proven winner, but no he's not a proven head coach.. but, sometimes people just need to get their chance..

are we ready to build on the 7-9 season we had a couple of seasons ago.... or are we going to build on the 2-14 season???

Marcus
07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Suprisingly, not a single fan gave their "two cents" on the question of my post.. I just wanted to know ya'lls take on our "losing mentality" or so to say our "losing tradition"... i think this is a serious matter, and yes kubes is a proven winner, but no he's not a proven head coach.. but, sometimes people just need to get their chance..

Okay . . then my "two cents" on the question of your post, is that I don't buy into your pessimistic view that the team has a "losing mentality" or has a "losing tradtion". That's quite different from losing "seasons" or losing "records".

Texian
07-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Let's put the P&O aside for now and try some OBJECTIVITY. Last year at 2-14 Houston was 15th in the league in rushing. With the addition of Kubiak, Calhoun, Sherman, Benton and (Real Zone Blocking) all are familiar with Top 5 rushing teams. Add Flanagan, Salaam, Spencer, Winston, the influx of tight ends, Smith, Lundy and Taylor things have improved.
Real Possibility is a TOP 10 Rushing Team
Concerns is Davis knee:crutch: Oline performance:crying:

The Texans ranked 30th in passing. With addition of Moulds, Walter, Putzier and the passe of TE's, Gulf Coast Offense Playbook and a different game plan there is a real possibility of the Texans cracking the Top 20 in passing.
Concerns: Oline Performance:crying:

The Texans ranked 32nd in rushing defense last year. With the addition of Kubiak, Richard Smith and a change from a 3-4 to 4-3, Mario, Demeco, Kalu, Cowart, Weaver and on paper this is now a better team. Real possibility of moving up 10 spots to 22nd in the league.
The Texans were ranked 24th against the pass. With all the above mentioned additions a real possibilty would be improvement to Top 20 agaisnt the pass. Concerns: The secondary:crutch:
So what does this get you:
#10 rushing offense team = Jacksonville 12-4
#20 passing offense team = Minnesota 9-7
#22 rushing defense team = Tennessee 4-12
#20 passing defense team = Miami 9-7

34 - 30 / 4 = W8.5, L7.5 or 8 or 9 Wins and 8 or 7 losses.

corrected as noted by Coach C.

AfricanCracker
07-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Okay . . then my "two cents" on the question of your post, is that I don't buy into your pessimistic view that the team has a "losing mentality" or has a "losing tradtion". That's quite different from losing "seasons" or losing "records".

Ok smart ass.... SO, i guess records of : 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14... constitute being displayed as "losing records", or even "losing seasons"... nevermind the trend that our team seems to be following (thus, a losing MENTALITY..TRADITION)... if your going to be a jerk, at least be competent...

Coach C.
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Texian you messed up your calculations the #10 rushing offense in the league was Jacksonville or Cincinatti. Which would change your prediction. Also, AfrikanCracker (which is a questionable name to begin with) do not attack posters please. State your points and logically battle each other if that is not possible attack each other over Private Message.

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 04:43 PM

Alright. Since indirect communication failed, I will turn the knob to direct communication.

Marvin Lewis was able to turn around the Bengals' losing mentality.
Bill Parcells was able to turn around the Cowboys from a slump.

One assistant rookie, one proven head coach shows that it can be done.
So being unproven is not that big of a deal. ( this is a short list )

HOWEVER the Lions never get it right... assistants, proven head coaches, former players... you name it and they have blown it. Blown it for nearly 50 years straight. ( I would mention another team also, but their fans hang out here and I do not wish to hurt their feelings )
( this is an even SHORTER list )

The good part is that Bob McNair is not afraid to stick with a loser to give him a chance.

The bad part is that Bob McNair is not afraid to stick with a loser to give him a chance.

The worst part is that we could get stuck with a Butch Davis.

The best part is that's what sells the tickets.

Texans_Chick
07-30-2006, 04:53 PM
errrr... first of all, being pessimistic about my texans this upcoming season makes sense considering we were 2-14 last season.. If anything, i wouldnt say that i am a total pessimist, but I am very cautiously optimistic about our expectations for this season. Yes, I would be happy with a 6-10, maybe a 7-9 season... but more importantly, I do believe that we have the talent in order to maybe (with major emphasis on the word maybe) reach a 10-6 record. That doesnt matter though, in reality... we have an UNPROVEN coach (whom i think is great, but still unproven), we have NO depth at key positions, and we have many players (carr, williams, o-line..) that will be under the microscope this season, thus adding pressure that they have never faced in houston before. Please do not reply by questioning my knowledge or "talent" of the texans, because that is very unnecessary.. I thought that I would post a thread to change things up in this forum.. because all I have been seeing (for example) is "Jopprue - getting much deserved attention" and what not... while bennie has YET to even play in a game.. much less a preseason game. but that is besides the point...

are we ready to build on the 7-9 season we had a couple of seasons ago.... or are we going to build on the 2-14 season???

You are right. One of the most difficult things in sports is creating a winning tradition out of nothing. It can be done, but it is easier to fail at it than succeed.

As for optimism and pessimism, I did a series of blog posts on this subject:

It appears from the comments, there is a big mix of optimists and pessimists and thems in the middle in the Texans fan base:

Link: Take the Texans test: How do YOU think they will do? (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/take_the_texans_test_how_do_yo.html)

I later did my own prediction. I don't think predictions are worth much but it was really just an excuse to post about positive and negatives and just plain questions at this time of the year:

Link: Texans 2006: The bad news and the good news (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/texans_2006_the_bad_news_and_t.html)

I hope this helps answer your question.

BTW, I don't know where your screen name comes from but you might have a better reception here if you chose to change it. I suggest contacting Vinny to figure out ways to do that.

Hottoddie
07-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Ok smart ass.... SO, i guess records of : 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14... constitute being displayed as "losing records", or even "losing seasons"... nevermind the trend that our team seems to be following (thus, a losing MENTALITY..TRADITION)... if your going to be a jerk, at least be competent...

Oh how I love posts like this.

First off, if you want to gain respect around here, don't call out the veteran posters that have already earned their respect.

Secondly, While losing records might indicate a trend, they don't always tell the whole story. With the exception of last year, the Texans have been very competitive & shown steady improvement each year. That doesn't speak of a "(losing MENTALITY..TRADITION)" to me.

Thirdly, it was more than obvious that the players quit on the coach. In my opinion, his ultra conservative approach wasn't working & he didn't make any adjustments to his weekly game plan to shake things up. It's true that he lost some key players to injuries, but the coach has to find a way to make what he has work. Capers lost the confidence of his players.

Fourthly, of the 89 players listed on our roster by NFL.com, only 41 of them were on last year's team. Of that, only 34 of them were on the roster for more than 4 games. Also, 19 of the 41 players have only been with the Texans for 2 seasons, or less. Since 2 years isn't a tradition, that means that roughly ¾ of the roster has nothing to do with the so called "(losing MENTALITY..TRADITION)" that you're speaking of.

Finally, a completely new coaching staff & GM will get any group of players, & fans excited. Look what Dallas did the first year that Parcells took over.

So, maybe you should take your own advice & "(at least be competent)".

I'm excited about the new season & the possibilities it brings. Hope springs eternal for us :homer:'s. :D

Oh yeah, & welcome to the board.

Texian
07-30-2006, 06:09 PM
errrr...

OK I will give you two that made a difference and a reason for optimism for the new head coach. Let's start with;

2004 Atlanta Falcons, Jim Mora new HC, hired Alex Gibbs, installed zone blocking, changed defense from 3-4 to 4-3, installed version of WCO. Went from 5-11 to 12-4 and NFC Championship game.

2005, Miami Dolphins, Nick Saban new HC, won last 6 games just missed playoffs. Went from 4-12 to 9-7.

AfricanCracker
07-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh how I love posts like this.

First off, if you want to gain respect around here, don't call out the veteran posters that have already earned their respect.

hahahahahaha.... respect??? what?? you have to be kidding me... im not out to insult anybody or to start problems, but what the heck? I am as big of a texans fan as any of you, and I get my head bit off because I was critical of them.. I think ya'll make some alright points around here, but geez... no need to be so defensive.. what does respect have to do with anything on a forum?? this is supposed to be about football, not senority... grace & peace

BigDTexansFan
07-30-2006, 06:49 PM
as to your pessism about improvement, we have a new Head Coach who has proven his methods work AND on a Super Bowl team. We have drafted and signed Free Agents to improve defense (cliche or no cliche) DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. That said recent history shows improvements can happen 1 season to next, here is the proof

2004 NFL San Diego Chargers 12-4-0 Schottenheimer Brees
2003 NFL San Diego Chargers 4-12-0 Schottenheimer Brees

SAME TEAM, SAME COACH, SAME QB

NUFF SAID!!!

Vambo, the Marble Eye
07-30-2006, 07:33 PM
hahahahahaha.... respect??? what?? you have to be kidding me... im not out to insult anybody or to start problems, but what the heck? I am as big of a texans fan as any of you, and I get my head bit off because I was critical of them.. I think ya'll make some alright points around here, but geez... no need to be so defensive.. what does respect have to do with anything on a forum?? this is supposed to be about football, not senority... grace & peace

"Dog pile on the rabbit, dog pile on the rabbit"- Bugs Bunny circa 1960s?

thunderkyss
07-30-2006, 07:45 PM
What's the big deal with being realistic anyway??

Personally, If I were Bob McNair, I'd feel like I made the wrong decision if Kubiak doesn't feel like we'll be competetive 60 minutes a game, for 16 games...... He's had free reign, to do what he needed to do........ except he couldn't touch the QB........

But F.A., we went and got his guys...... draft, he had the final pick..... coaches, he put together his team.

He feels good about our secondary(I don't)......... we've got linebackers out the rear......... and he's got three 1st round picks on the defensive line.

We've got 4 probowlers on offensive...... three of them play wide reciever, one on the offensive line. He's got two proven hawses in the backfield..... Davis(my boy) and Smith(say what you want, but he's always came through when his team needed him). We've got an army of talented tightends....

For the last three years, we've been saying David has had no weapons, and Capers wouldn't let him throw the ball....... that we were playing not to lose.

Now he's got the weapons, and Kubiak is going to open it up..... I have no doubt that we will avg between 24 & 32 points in '06. No doubt. All our defense has to do, is keep the other guys below 21..... I feel good enough about our defense to make me believe that will happen...... We've got enough defensive linemen to bring the blitze every down well into the 4th quarter.... again, littered with talent and experience. Dunta will get the job done, and Buchannon is going to look like a new man( I think this is a contract year for him)...... Between Orr, Wong, Polk, Ryans, & Greenwood(yes Greenwood) we can put together a competitive corps.......

I'm really liking our team..... & I'm dead freak'n serious when I predict we'll go 13-3. and having homefield advantage in the AFC championship game.

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 08:05 PM
What's the big deal with being realistic anyway??

He feels good about our secondary(I don't)......... we've got linebackers out the rear......... and he's got three 1st round picks on the defensive line.

I do believe we have 5 1st round picks on defense right? ( total, not just the line )

It should be interesting to see how many defenses have fielded that many starting 1st rounders. It seems like a lot just looking at it as a cap era figure.

Capster67
07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
With the bulk of the players from that team returning, how will our team react to a rough start to the season?

The assumption that we are returning with the "bulk of the players" is not true. Of the current roster of today, 42 players have arrived since Gary Kubiak was named head coach. Only 41 players were here for Dom. This constitutes a major turn over. Granted while many of the 41 players here under Dom's tenure are starters, the 42 new players bring something lacking the last couple of years - depth and mental toughness. I'm looking forward to at least a 7-9 record.

thunderkyss
07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I do believe we have 5 1st round picks on defense right? ( total, not just the line )

It should be interesting to see how many defenses have fielded that many starting 1st rounders. It seems like a lot just looking at it as a cap era figure.

Mario, Demeco, TJ, Babins, Dunta, and Buchanon...........

All but Buchanon were drafted by the Texans....

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Mario, Demeco, TJ, Babins, Dunta, and Buchanon...........

All but Buchanon were drafted by the Texans....

DeMeco was a second round pick.

So it's still 5 unless I am missing one of the LBs??

Edit:
actually after you mentioned it... maybe it is normal since they are all from us.

Wolf
07-30-2006, 08:46 PM
weaver? was he a 1st rounder from baltimore? or 2nd rounder?

tulexan
07-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Wasn't Weaver a first round pick?

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 08:49 PM
weaver? was he a 1st rounder from baltimore? or 2nd rounder?

HAHA yep that one got me too!!!!!! I was under the impression that he was a 1st rounder and had to look at it twice.

TRANSACTIONS: Selected by Baltimore Ravens in second round (52 nd pick overall) of 2002 NFL draft…Signed by Ravens on July 27, 2002…Signed by Houston Texans on March 12, 2006.
---

for the record I do not actually HAHA or eheh or LOL.

tulexan
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Nevermind 2nd round

Wolf
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I read he is a 2nd rounder now.. interesting tidbit.. Weaver was born in Abilene,Texas :redtowel:

Wolf
07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
HAHA yep that one got me too!!!!!! I was under the impression that he was a 1st rounder and had to look at it twice.

---

for the record I do not actually HAHA or eheh or LOL.

twin sisters :hmmm:

Wolf
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
showing my age but

seeing your post reminded me of this song
Remember when you ran away
And I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I'd go berzerk
Well, you left me anyhow and then the days got worse and worse
And now you see I've gone completely out of my mind

And...They're coming to take me away HAHA
They're coming to take me away HOHO HEHE HAHA
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away HAHAAA

http://www.zenlyrics.com/Dr.+Demento/They're+Comin+To+Take+Me+Away/showlyric/searchid/36628/

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I read he is a 2nd rounder now.. interesting tidbit.. Weaver was born in Abilene,Texas :redtowel:

UH? It says Killeen on his biography.

I thought he was like Grogan.. born in Texas, but grew up somewhere else?

---

And that Napoleon song is a classic.

---

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/sports/default.asp?ArID=185242

Weaver is not a Texan, so to speak.. Since he was born in Killeen, he is most likely an Army brat or something like that.

GP
07-30-2006, 08:58 PM

You asked for it.

It's just something you are going to learn on your own...sort of like a distance education program where you learn at your own pace, as you're ready.

We've seen it all, discussed it all, and argued until 4 a.m. and/or for HOURS at a time. There's nothing you are going to post that we are going to see and and go, "Wow! Now THERE is a great comment. Man, he's on top of his game today."

We've been here a looooooooooong time, and you're just getting started. It's not about seniority...it's about the longevity of a lot of us who have seen people come and go, sort of like NFL players who claim they are going to be the greatest and then they get hurt on a motorcycle.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you stick around. I sure won't run you off. But as time progresses, and as you see more dialogue between these "veterans" that you don't seem too interested in respecting...you're going to look back and wish you hadn't acted this way.

I do. I acted like you are (about 4 or 5 years ago) and I wish I had just played it cooler. Now, I am a little more savvy and I know the ins and outs, and I know that if I get slammed by other people...more than likely I brought it onto myself. It's like the old saying goes: When you find yourself in a deep hole, stop digging...

I would say to you: Just put down the shovel and climb on out of the hole.

Stick around. Welcome to the board. And for your own sake: Play it cool until you've seen and discussed a lot of Texans football talk around here. It'll be best in the long run.

GP
07-30-2006, 09:06 PM

OK....

First, you say you are pessimistic....

Then, you say you are "cautiously optimistic"..........

THEN, you say we have the talent to possibly go 10-6......

THEN, you say that doesn't matter, though, because we have an unproven coach.

My goodness, man. You don't need to debate with us...you're doing a great job of debating yourself!

Look, you are wired really hot right now. You've got expectations, that's very clear, but you need to just slow down and cool your jets a little.

Find out where you stand, and get back to us OK?

Wolf
07-30-2006, 09:08 PM
UH? It says Killeen on his biography.

I thought he was like Grogan.. born in Texas, but grew up somewhere else?

---

And that Napoleon song is a classic.

---

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/sports/default.asp?ArID=185242

Weaver is not a Texan, so to speak.. Since he was born in Killeen, he is most likely an Army brat or something like that.

not sure.. wikipedi was saying abilene :hmmm: but a Texas boy to say the least :redtowel:

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 09:12 PM
not sure.. wikipedi was saying abilene :hmmm: but a Texas boy to say the least :redtowel:

yeah I am looking at the Texan roster bio though. ( not that it is all that honest all the time )

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2006, 09:31 PM
...most of our players are SO used to playing for nothing, Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?

After 4 years, it's a bit hasty to say that we have a "tradition" of anything. Wait until we have a real tradition like the Cardinals, Lions, and Saints.

Usually, winning and losing is cyclical. Teams are up and then they're down for awhile. 4-5 losing seasons doesn't bother me. 10-15 and I'll start to get a little despondent.

I think we've made a lot of good changes. I'm concerned about our offensive line... just like every year of our existence. I'm concerned about our secondary but I hope that our D-line is good enough to mask the shortcomings there.

I'm expecting a 5 win season and I'll be satisfied with that. I think an 8 win season is well within our grasp and I would be ecstatic with that.

Oilers/Texans
07-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't want to make any record predictions because if I say 10-6 then that means I'm picking six games to lose. I can't look down the schedule and pick a game to lose, I've never been able to do that. Because of that, I have decided that I don't like making record predictions anymore. I look at every season this way, if they don't win the Super Bowl, the season is a failure and all you have is looking foreward to next year.

BigDTexansFan
07-31-2006, 01:21 AM
Bill Parcells was able to turn around the Cowboys from a slump.

Actually Parcells scared players 1st year and then doubled wins from 2002, 2004 they went 6-10 and last year went 9-7 and will probably do poorly in 2006.

:challenge

HJam72
07-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Actually, I'm going to go ahead and say this:

I am not worried about our secondary. I think the D-line is going to make things much easier for them this year and I also believe that Buchannon is out to prove that he's not going to be a half-effort kind of guy. Just like everything else, you can blame a lot of Buchannon's lack of enthusiasm last year on the coaching staff. The whole team just didn't believe in the system.

I was just as upset with Buchannon as anyone last year, but what I'm hearing tells me he has a different attitude and learned from all the retribution.

swtbound07
07-31-2006, 02:11 AM
5 defensive starters drafted in the 1st round

Buchanon, Robinson, mario williams, travis johnson, jason babin.

AfricanCracker
07-31-2006, 03:32 AM
You asked for it.

It's just something you are going to learn on your own...sort of like a distance education program where you learn at your own pace, as you're ready.

We've seen it all, discussed it all, and argued until 4 a.m. and/or for HOURS at a time. There's nothing you are going to post that we are going to see and and go, "Wow! Now THERE is a great comment. Man, he's on top of his game today."

We've been here a looooooooooong time, and you're just getting started. It's not about seniority...it's about the longevity of a lot of us who have seen people come and go, sort of like NFL players who claim they are going to be the greatest and then they get hurt on a motorcycle.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you stick around. I sure won't run you off. But as time progresses, and as you see more dialogue between these "veterans" that you don't seem too interested in respecting...you're going to look back and wish you hadn't acted this way.

I do. I acted like you are (about 4 or 5 years ago) and I wish I had just played it cooler. Now, I am a little more savvy and I know the ins and outs, and I know that if I get slammed by other people...more than likely I brought it onto myself. It's like the old saying goes: When you find yourself in a deep hole, stop digging...

I would say to you: Just put down the shovel and climb on out of the hole.

Stick around. Welcome to the board. And for your own sake: Play it cool until you've seen and discussed a lot of Texans football talk around here. It'll be best in the long run.

I understand what your saying.. but the thing is.. I simply posted a thread, and boom... i had all these people out to kill me... i said it once, and i'll say it again, im not out to insult or to disrespect anybody... im here to talk texans football, plain and simple.. we are in this together everybody.. we all want the same outcome..

i am pretty pumped about the general's report on mario williams being the "real deal"... i usually dont take too much stock into what the media has to say, but john mclain is the man... so i have confidence that super mario has the potential to be a stud!!!

AfricanCracker
07-31-2006, 03:40 AM
OK....

First, you say you are pessimistic....

Then, you say you are "cautiously optimistic"..........

THEN, you say we have the talent to possibly go 10-6......

THEN, you say that doesn't matter, though, because we have an unproven coach.

My goodness, man. You don't need to debate with us...you're doing a great job of debating yourself!

Look, you are wired really hot right now. You've got expectations, that's very clear, but you need to just slow down and cool your jets a little.

Find out where you stand, and get back to us OK?

Just because I am a pessimist, that doesnt eliminate the room for me to feel alittle "cautiously optimistic" about our team... Also, i said our team has the "talent" to possibly go 10-6, but talent does not always equate to W's... because football is so unlike any other sport, where coaching is so critical (i know all of ya'll already know that) and with the texans having an "unproven" coach.. it doesnt matter what our optimal season record (or our talent level for that matter) could be... for instance, mike martz... an amazing and flat out incredible offensive coordinator,.. but, very dismal head coach. so, kubiak is no guarantee based on his success and track record in denver... thats all i was trying to say