PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Just Might Get A Deal

GuerillaBlack
07-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Amazing, I know. I wonder if he will actually sign.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s7751.jpg

Although considerable work remains on the deal, a source close to the negotiations between the New Orleans Saints and first-round draft choice Reggie Bush told ESPN.com on Saturday night that the two sides have made "significant progress" in bargaining.

The source said that an agreement in principle could be arrived at fairly quickly, perhaps by Saturday night or Sunday morning, provided the positive momentum created through the day continues.

The two sides were scheduled to continue negotiations by phone well into Saturday night.

"I wouldn't say [an agreement] is imminent," said the source, "but if things keep coming together the way they have today, something could happen sooner rather than later."

It is not known how much impetus was provided by the contract that former University of Texas quarterback Vince Young, the third overall selection in the draft, agreed to this week. Young received $25.74 million in guarantees from the Tennessee Titans, slightly less than the $26.5 million in bonuses that the Houston Texans awarded top overall pick Mario Williams.

Bush was the second player chosen and has missed the first two days of training camp practices.

Before the Thursday discussions, the two sides had discussed framework and concepts, and perhaps even floated some dollar figures. But clearly, the talks have been ramped up the last few days.

Compounding the negotiations for the Saints was the fact that Bush, who has embraced the hurricane-ravaged city of New Orleans and already made several sizeable donations to charities there, has banked $5 million-$7 million in various endorsement contracts negotiated by Mike Ornstein, his marketing agent.

That certainly alleviated the urgency for Bush to sign a contract quickly, since he already has considerable cash flow.

Bush said during the team's rookie minicamp in May that he wanted to be in camp on time and that he had instructed Segal to attempt to accomplish that goal. But only a few days later, Bush clarified his remarks, telling ESPN.com that any contract had to be a sound business decision.

ESPN Article Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2533890)

texan279
07-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Wonder if he'll get more than Mario when it is all said and done. If so, with his contract and Young's, it should give Mario just that much more motivation to prove to everyone that he was worth the #1 pick.

Koolaid Time
07-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Wonder if he'll get more than Mario when it is all said and done. If so, with his contract and Young's, it should give Mario just that much more motivation to prove to everyone that he was worth the #1 pick.

I bet Bush's base contract will be less than Mario's.. but it will have easily obtainable incentives that will make it higher overall

Numbskull
07-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Some of the RB haters here are just pathetic. They are obsessed with him.... Let it go.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5828672

Reggie Bush could join his first pro team as early as Sunday. Team sources told FOXSports.com that Bush and the New Orleans Saints are very close to agreeing on a 6-year deal that is sandwiched between Vince Young's contract at No. 3 and Mario Williams' at No. 1

texan279
07-29-2006, 09:07 PM
I bet Bush's base contract will be less than Mario's.. but it will have easily obtainable incentives that will make it higher overall

I'm not sure how easy the incentives would be to reach, as of now they've got Deuce and Bennett in the backfield so more than likely they will be splitting the load I would think.

texan279
07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Some of the RB haters here are just pathetic. They are obsessed with him.... Let it go.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5828672

Who is hating on RB? Just talking about his contract.

Koolaid Time
07-29-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure how easy the incentives would be to reach, as of now they've got Deuce and Bennett in the backfield so more than likely they will be splitting the load I would think.

I have a feeling Bennett will ge traded as soon as Reggie shows up....

Numbskull
07-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Its not you.... I'm talking about the people who have been calling him greedy and selfish in spite of his charity efforts... speculating charity as acts of self-promotion and such....

texan279
07-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Its not you.... I'm talking about the people who have been calling him greedy and selfish in spite of his charity efforts... speculating charity as acts of self-promotion and such....

Oh, ok, I thought you were talking about in this thread, I'm thickheaded lol.

texan279
07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I have a feeling Bennett will ge traded as soon as Reggie shows up....

I agree, and the Saints will hold leverage in whoever they deal him to with Bush and Deuce already in the backfield.

GrandPa
07-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Reggie signed a 6 year deal with the Saints...