PDA

View Full Version : Voice of the Fan, first day of Training Camp

Kaiser Toro
07-29-2006, 08:17 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2681&section=N%20Latest%20News

Nice and timely work AJ.

My favorite line by far is:
Coach Bob gets my award for coach’s quote of the day when he screamed “I want upper body violence!” to get a point across.

That is just brilliant.

GP
07-29-2006, 09:05 AM
What? No mention of old pals he hasn't seen in awhile....or how about some news about a friend who's having a baby?

Keith at HPF, TexansChick, and AJ are all producing the type of coverage and analysis that big-name writers are failing to provide.

Thanks, AJ. Another great coverage of the action from someone who really loves Texans football. Thanks, man.

How the Chronicle bosses can live with themselves is BEYOND me. :hides:

Texan Asylum
07-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Real nice piece of writing aj. Felt as though I was there. I really like this part, and can picture this in my mind...

Peek showed his intensity and explosiveness during the hangman, once leaving “Caveman” Eric Winston wondering what happened as Peek spun by him and ripped the dummy off the sled.

Gotta feeling 'bout these Texans!:cool:

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Next blog post will be about training camp, but mostly a collection of stuff because there's not much to add to the fine things already done.

Well, and also, because of the way I submit things to the Chronicle, there is usually a frustrating delay from the time I write something until the time it is posted, so the blog posts are more likely to be more focused on analysis and data collection, then providing straight up news.

As for Coach Bob, he is the assistant coach that I haven't met that I would most like to meet.

nunusguy
07-29-2006, 09:53 AM
"Friday’s high of 94 degrees was right on the norm for this time of the year, so for those Texans players from Portland, Maine; Caldwell, Idaho; and Gillette Wyo., welcome to Houston!
Actually, I don’t think it really matters where you’re from, since I saw equal opportunity slog and sweat among veterans of the Big Sky and SEC on Friday morning’s first installment of training camp at the Texans’ practice facility. "
I dunno, but I think it matters. I remember getting off work one day in July
many years ago when I was working in Boise, Id. and it was 106 degrees ! But I also remember thinking it was not as bad as 95 degrees in Houston.
When they say its a "dry heat", it really makes a difference.
"Johnson getting stonewalled by rookie free agent tackle Mike Brisiel during the hangman was somewhat troubling, but coach Kubiak has made no secret of the fact that Travis needs to step it up during this camp. "
How long before TJ picks a fight with the undrafted rookie FA OLineman ?
But this year, the rook FA may not be the one that gets cut.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 10:10 AM
"Johnson getting stonewalled by rookie free agent tackle Mike Brisiel during the hangman was somewhat troubling, but coach Kubiak has made no secret of the fact that Travis needs to step it up during this camp. "
But this year, the rook FA may not be the one that gets cut.

Just to add, it is my understanding that TJ dropped the weight that they wanted him to drop. Don't know if that means anything in the big scheme of things other than he is taking the challenge of the coaches seriously.

nunusguy
07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
"My favorite pre-game beverage is St. Arnold beer. I am particular partial to their Amber Ale. They have a tailgate going in the Platinum lot, and I feel that it is probably a good thing to support a Houston company named after a saint before I see my Houston Texans play. I don't drink much, but when I do, I would prefer it to be a beverage that is worth drinking. St. Arnold does a nice job. "
So you're a connoisseur of fine beers, uh TC ?
I enjoy sampling an exotic brand now and then, but remain ever faithful to my "Colorado Koolaid".

Kaiser Toro
07-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I dunno, but I think it matters. I remember getting off work one day in July
many years ago when I was working in Boise, Id. and it was 106 degrees ! But I also remember thinking it was not as bad as 95 degrees in Houston.
When they say its a "dry heat", it really makes a difference.

It is the age old arguement, but I am in your camp. Having grown up in Las Vegas and Austin. I will take the dry heat anyday for outdoor activity.

FILO_girl
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

Them are some nice lookin' Texans fans in the pic. One looks very familiar...:cool:

Keep the camp reports coming, some of us can't get there :crying: and appreciate the insight.

Dunno which is worse, broken toes or grown kids with no cars who think Mom is their Metro service. But that rant is for the NO Spin Zone.

vtech9
07-29-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

Them are some nice lookin' Texans fans in the pic. One looks very familiar...:cool:

Keep the camp reports coming, some of us can't get there :crying: and appreciate the insight.

Dunno which is worse, broken toes or grown kids with no cars who think Mom is their Metro service. But that rant is for the NO Spin Zone.
for some reason, your link isn't working

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 11:48 AM
"My favorite pre-game beverage is St. Arnold beer. I am particular partial to their Amber Ale. They have a tailgate going in the Platinum lot, and I feel that it is probably a good thing to support a Houston company named after a saint before I see my Houston Texans play. I don't drink much, but when I do, I would prefer it to be a beverage that is worth drinking. St. Arnold does a nice job. "
So you're a connoisseur of fine beers, uh TC ?
I enjoy sampling an exotic brand now and then, but remain ever faithful to my "Colorado Koolaid".

I like supporting local folks. Especially when they make products as fine as St. Arnold does. I appreciate fine food and beverages--I have a refrigerator that mostly has things of the liquid variety in it. Water, Milk,Sodas, Coors Lite, various St. Arnold products, non-alcoholic beers and wine. I like making sure I have the right beverage to go with food:

Asian food - beer
Pizza - diet coke
Mexican food - diet coke
fancy food - wine
Texas summer - lots o water

I mostly drink tap water but I find that I like bottled water when I am running errands or else I just don't think to drink enough.

The next blog post will be up this afternoon--the web people are out until later. It's a Day 1 recap--though admittedly this piece is mostly aimed for Chronic online readers who may not be MB types.

My 2006 Texans Virtual Tailgate ain't blue lot worthy though.

nunusguy
07-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Asian food - Coors Lite
Pizza - Coors Lite
Mexican food - Coors Lite
fancy food - Coors Lite
Texas summer - Coors Lite & lots o water

"To each his own".

Double Barrel
07-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Great column, aj! I appreciate the insight you bring to us.

I definitely sounds like a new era in Texansland. :texflag:

Kaiser Toro
07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
"To each his own".

What the? Feel like I am in a Time Warp and viewing a Kewr's Light ad.

Just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey, the FanBlog post is up earlier than I was told.

Day 1: Texans Training Camp (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/day_1_texans_training_camp.html)

Love to have any additional comments on the post. I've gotten a lot of emails from folks that say that they have limited internet access for various reasons and rely a lot on the blog to keep them up with the skinny.

Coach C.
07-29-2006, 12:17 PM
TC I think it is a nice take on what was going on, would be interesting to see your observations if you were closer to the action and could actually here alot of what was being said.

nunusguy
07-29-2006, 12:20 PM
What the? Feel like I am in a Time Warp and viewing a Kewr's Light ad.
Just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.
KT, you're not one of those neo-Nazis are you ?
I mean if I met you, would I see some skin-headed white guy with tatoos all
over both arms ? I heard those a bunch of that type over in South Austin. Do you live in South Austin KT ? Just checkin ?

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 12:25 PM
TC I think it is a nice take on what was going on, would be interesting to see your observations if you were closer to the action and could actually here alot of what was being said.

There is no doubt. I'd love to write those observations.

Rub. It. In.

I've been closer to the action before, but on my own nickle.

I do not get media access because I am not media.

Media means that you are supposed to have the facade of neutrality and write stuff that goes on paper or goes over the airwaves.

I'm just trying the best I can with the resources I have.

aj.
07-29-2006, 01:26 PM

I would love to see that kind of emotion out of TJ. Right now there's no emotion, no nothing. He's lifeless, sluggish and appears about as unmotivated as any first rounder I've ever seen.

Just to add, it is my understanding that TJ dropped the weight that they wanted him to drop. Don't know if that means anything in the big scheme of things other than he is taking the challenge of the coaches seriously.

I don't see it. Quite the opposite from what I've seen.

Coach C.
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
TJ is in the process of dropping the weight, but he is looking overly lazy out there.

aj.
07-29-2006, 02:00 PM
... he is looking overly lazy out there.

Yes he is.

What makes me wonder about the guy is that last year, he had an entirely different personality ... or at least a different persona that was visible to fans and media. It appears he's fighting as many mental battles as he is physical ones.

Double Barrel
07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
I would love to see that kind of emotion out of TJ. Right now there's no emotion, no nothing. He's lifeless, sluggish and appears about as unmotivated as any first rounder I've ever seen.

aye yi yi, not a good sign at all. Is there a chance that he might not make the squad? He's showing the exact opposite attitude that you'd want from a player, especially this early in the season. I'd be a little surprised if Kubiak keeps him if TJ doesn't pick it up.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2006, 02:10 PM
TJ is in the process of dropping the weight, but he is looking overly lazy out there.

Weak from lack of food.

Someone get this man a double cheeseburger! STAT!

nunusguy
07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
In all seriousness, TJ sounds like he's having a problem with his medication.
"He returned to the football field in 2004 with renewed vigor. He was placed on medication prior to 2004 to help him battle attention deficit disorder and his performance drastically improved.
Johnson garnered ESPN All-America honors and was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team, as he started all year at left defensive tackle, serving as defensive captain. He led a unit that led the nation in rushing defense, allowing only 69 yards per game during the regular season."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/johnson_travis

aj.
07-29-2006, 02:28 PM
aye yi yi, not a good sign at all. Is there a chance that he might not make the squad?

Weaver, Robaire, and Payne are clearly our top three DTs. Travis is still relatively cheap -- he just needs a good swift kick in the butt or an IV of adrenaline or somthing.

disaacks3
07-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I would love to see that kind of emotion out of TJ. Right now there's no emotion, no nothing. He's lifeless, sluggish and appears about as unmotivated as any first rounder I've ever seen. I was pointing him out at TC today to the wife. When I told her that he's our first-rounder from LAST year, she looked at me like I was pulling her leg. :rolleyes:

You can definitely see the missing "poundage", but listless is the best choice for his on field combativeness right now.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't see it. Quite the opposite from what I've seen.

Hmmm.

I was told 20 pounds.

aj.
07-29-2006, 04:10 PM
If he's already lost 20, he was in worse shape than I thought. I fear it's not just about the weight with TJ.

vtech9
07-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Weaver, Robaire, and Payne are clearly our top three DTs. Travis is still relatively cheap -- he just needs a good swift kick in the butt or an IV of adrenaline or somthing.
How about Malone? I liked what little I got to see of him last year. What kind of chance does he have of making the final roster? Believe me, any information on any of the players is appreciated by all of us out-of-towners.

aj.
07-29-2006, 04:53 PM
I'll make it a point to watch big Alfred tomorrow. Quite honestly, I haven't paid much attention to #97 the last two days.

vtech9
07-29-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll make it a point to watch big Alfred tomorrow. Quite honestly, I haven't paid much attention to #97 the last two days.
Thanks aj. Honestly, I like to hear about all of the players. I'm even curious about the guys that really don't have a shot at making the squad. I've been too long without football, so ANY and ALL news is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

aj.
07-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Ok then.....One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday was the "vocal leader" of the LB corps, none other than Wali Rainer.

When the team splits into unit drills, LB Coach Johnny Holland turns to Rainer and tells him to "get 'em going Wali." Ranier then leads the LBs in their 'fire up circle' and the 'punch and pursue' drill which is their first warmup as a group.

Wali is a couple years junior to Cowart but he's much more extroverted and he's become the defacto leader, at least the vocal leader, of the LB corps with Wong out. I like his enthusiasm, his mouth is always running, but he's still playing behind Cowart.

TwinSisters
07-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Ok then.....One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday was the "vocal leader" of the LB corps, none other than Wali Rainer.

When the team splits into unit drills, LB Coach Johnny Holland turns to Rainer and tells him to "get 'em going Wali." Ranier then leads the LBs in their 'fire up circle' and the 'punch and pursue' drill which is their first warmup as a group.

Wali is a couple years junior to Cowart but he's much more extroverted and he's become the defacto leader, at least the vocal leader, of the LB corps with Wong out. I like his enthusiasm, his mouth is always running, but he's still playing behind Cowart.

Mouth always running. Leader.

There is hero number 1. 11 more and I got a dozen.

O wait... they were together in Detroit. So that would explain why Holland counts on Wali

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 05:51 PM

With apologies as someone who was not out there today and didn't really have the angle to watch him to close yesterday, how can you tell that he is lifeless, sluggish and unmotivated?

I mean, they stand a bit. Then they have their reps. It just seems to me that if you are looking at anyone on the field, and you are looking for bad stuff, it might be easy to project something that is not there.

I'm not saying you aren't right, I'm just saying that I've seen practices up close before, and don't see a whole lot of rah rah jumping up and down or otherwise excitable stuff by anyone. It is usually the exception and not the rule.

In other words, personally, I don't like saying stuff about peeps unless it is something easily observable and not subject to different interpretation.

aj.
07-29-2006, 06:17 PM
With apologies as someone who was not out there today and didn't really have the angle to watch him to close yesterday, how can you tell that he is lifeless, sluggish and unmotivated?

......you are looking for bad stuff, it might be easy to project something that is not there.

I have a teenager who's nearing the end of summer vacation so I'm an expert on lifeless, sluggish and unmotivated. I also have a Pomeranian just to maintain balance in my life.

If I hadn't watched TJ last year and seen a different person, I wouldn't be making these observations. Something's different this year. The way he carries himself, the lack of emotion on his face, getting stood up repeatedly by guys like Mike Brisiel, everything. The way he reacts - or doesn't react - when he's getting his butt chewed on. Robaire is a robot in practice too, and often times looks like he's just going through the motions, especially in individual unit drills, but he was always like that. TJ seems to be having a tough time of it right now and hopefully he can pull himself out of it. But then, maybe I'm just imagining it all...

I'm not 'looking for' bad stuff and have no reason to dog TJ. I liked the guy last year. He was a great interview, always cracking jokes, smiling... .....I looked forward to the switch to the 4-3 because I thought he would be a player who would most greatly benefit from it. The only reason I'm making the observation is because it's there and something is obviously diffferent from last year. If it wasn't there I probably wouldn't be talking about it, nor would anyone else, including the Head Coach. I'm making these observations anywhere from 6 - 30 feet away or so with last year as a datum. Hopefully the switch will flip because the last thing I want is for another high round draft pick to fail.

I could light some potpourri and throw a few rose petals on the floor in here, I guess, and just go Yay Texans about everything, but when your first round pick from a year ago comes in heavy, gets hurt and then sulks - I find that a little unsettling. He's nowhere close to being one of our top three defensive tackles at the moment and if you don't think that's easily observable you're not watching close enough.

Again, hopefully something clicks and it turns around for him. It is only the second day of training camp after all.

TwinSisters
07-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I also have a Pomeranian just to maintain balance in my life.

OOoo man. You poor suffering .... fella. That's a horrible dog. ( Shanghai Knights )

Daschund or Jack Russell. That's the better pickings. You heard it first here.

aj.
07-29-2006, 07:06 PM
It wasn't by choice.... yap yap yap.

Tedc
07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Pomeranians are great football dogs. They fly truer through the uprights and give good hang time when punting.

Texans_Chick
07-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I could light some potpourri and throw a few rose petals on the floor in here, I guess, and just go Yay Texans about everything, but when your first round pick from a year ago comes in heavy, gets hurt and then sulks - I find that a little unsettling. He's nowhere close to being one of our top three defensive tackles at the moment and if you don't think that's easily observable you're not watching close enough.

Again, hopefully something clicks and it turns around for him. It is only the second day of training camp after all.

I just wanted to know what the evidence of sulking is. All the written words are out of camp are that TJ has taken the challenge and has been working really hard coming off of his calf injury. And that they were going to ease him back into things.

Here's an example from Kubiak: “I’ve been very impressed with Travis. You don’t want to put the cart before the horse. I’ll tell you all like I told him, ‘Travis, it’s time to be a big-time player on this team, and there isn’t another year of growing. Now is the time.’ He comes out and misses time during the offseason due to injury, which is not his fault. A lot of players can relax a little bit when that happens. We’ve challenged him in front of the football team before we took our summer break that he had more to do than anyone else on this team, and he stayed here and he did it.”

So what you are saying seems contrary to what is being said by coach. It wouldn't be the first time that misinformation has come out of the front office, but they have been generally pretty straightforward in their comments this year.

I just was wondering what the evidence of sulking was. It just seems like a lot to infer from some poor drills and body language.

I'm not saying you should say Yay Texans about everyone, but I'm thinking you want to have a fairly high threshold before you say anything real negative about someone based on fairly inconclusive evidence that at least is opposite of the things Kubiak is saying publicly. In other words, say what you said about him looking poor in drills, but unless you have something really tangible to base other negative observations on, it's voodoo.

I like gossip, but its easier to listen to if when the evidence behind it is based on stuff. I was just asking what exact things happened that you observed that made you draw the conclusion that he was unmotivated. You know, just wondering.

I'm just bringing this up because otherwise I think some people will just accept your TJ observation as something that's more likely true than not without questioning where that observation came from.

Thanks for sharing tho. :cool:

aj.
07-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Well I tried to explain...... oh well...

Using your logic, then maybe you shouldn't believe what I said about Wali Rainer being a leader of the LB corps either, or Chris Taylor being a guy to keep your eyes on, or Babin seeming to have more confidence, or Charles Spencer having the potential to be a very good lineman, etc., etc., etc., because I'm using the same set of eyes and the same mental process and experience base for all of that, so all that must be discounted as gossip too I guess. Maybe I should have the Texans change the name of my column to AJ's Gossip Column. Thanks for the rousing compliment. <insert wink thingy here>

As long as your quoting the Chronicle here's another one from yesterday's Lopez column - written in the context that TJ is still having to be challenged by his head coach and defensive coordinator.

Defensive coordinator Richard Smith told Johnson before Friday's workout, echoing Kubiak's words, "No one's giving you a spot on this team."

When the head coach has to call out a young player publicly twice in the media.... and the D-coord is doing it as he's walking out on the field for his first practice, that tells me the usual methods inside the locker room aren't working. That might tell me that Travis hasn't established himself as a leader or role model who is self motivated. Maybe the two-by-four between the eyes is what he needs.

I'm entitled to my opinion about TJ based on what I've seen, and you are entitled to question how I form my opinions. I'm sorry but I am not a sunshine pumper 24/7. Maybe 12/5 ....

Who knows, maybe by the end of preseason I will write something to the effect that everything with TJ is peachy keen and he obviously accepted the challenge like a man and will be a leader on the defense for years to come. I hope TJ makes a big fat liar out of me.

It's way too early for that however. I still see him as a work in progress who needs to be pushed (as do his coaches obviously) which is a shame for a first round pick entering his second season.

CoachJim
07-30-2006, 08:16 AM
I have a teenager who's nearing the end of summer vacation so I'm an expert on lifeless, sluggish and unmotivated. I also have a Pomeranian just to maintain balance in my life.

I have the same at home also, only my daughter's dog is a yappin' ass chiuh-chihu ... aww hell, one of those pound & a half ankle biting headaches. I ALSO have 230 ponds of German Rotweillers (Bear@130 & Harley @100) that keeps yapper in line.

If I hadn't watched TJ last year and seen a different person, I wouldn't be making these observations. Something's different this year. The way he carries himself, the lack of emotion on his face, getting stood up repeatedly by guys like Mike Brisiel, everything. The way he reacts - or doesn't react - when he's getting his butt chewed on. Robaire is a robot in practice too, and often times looks like he's just going through the motions, especially in individual unit drills, but he was always like that. TJ seems to be having a tough time of it right now and hopefully he can pull himself out of it. But then, maybe I'm just imagining it all...

I'm not 'looking for' bad stuff and have no reason to dog TJ. I liked the guy last year. He was a great interview, always cracking jokes, smiling... .....I looked forward to the switch to the 4-3 because I thought he would be a player who would most greatly benefit from it. The only reason I'm making the observation is because it's there and something is obviously diffferent from last year. If it wasn't there I probably wouldn't be talking about it, nor would anyone else, including the Head Coach. I'm making these observations anywhere from 6 - 30 feet away or so with last year as a datum. Hopefully the switch will flip because the last thing I want is for another high round draft pick to fail.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger AJ, unlike you I've only been to the Friday AM practice but I watched him getting his reps too & it seemed quite the same for me ... really distressing considering we passed DJ to get to him. God only knows what our D would be capable of with our current backers AND DJ instead of 'Stonewalled Johnson'.

Texans_Chick
07-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Well I tried to explain...... oh well...

Using your logic, then maybe you shouldn't believe what I said about Wali Rainer being a leader of the LB corps either, or Chris Taylor being a guy to keep your eyes on, or Babin seeming to have more confidence, or Charles Spencer having the potential to be a very good lineman, etc., etc., etc., because I'm using the same set of eyes and the same mental process and experience base for all of that, so all that must be discounted as gossip too I guess. Maybe I should have the Texans change the name of my column to AJ's Gossip Column. Thanks for the rousing compliment. <insert wink thingy here>

Yeah, everything is speculation.

When you speculate about good stuff, you aren't hurting anyone by what you are saying. You aren't saying something damaging people's reputations. It's just fan blather like everything else here. The more of that speculation based on reportable, observable stuff instead of spider sense--how catches were happening or whatever, it makes the speculation a little less blathery.

When the head coach has to call out a young player publicly twice in the media.... and the D-coord is doing it as he's walking out on the field for his first practice, that tells me the usual methods inside the locker room aren't working. That might tell me that Travis hasn't established himself as a leader or role model who is self motivated. Maybe the two-by-four between the eyes is what he needs.

I'm entitled to my opinion about TJ based on what I've seen, and you are entitled to question how I form my opinions. I'm sorry but I am not a sunshine pumper 24/7. Maybe 12/5 ....

I am certainly not asking you to pump sunshine, but in my opinion, it is irresponsible to say stuff in a public forum negative about someone's reputation unless it is based on something pretty durned tangible.

So, yeah, mentioning how TJ looked beat in drills, that's perfectly fine and is the sort of stuff definitely worth mentioning. You have anything else tangible to talk about of why you think something looks that way, say what those things are.

I was just asking you what your opinion was based on, and you didn't want to say other than to say he looks different than last year. I was just wondering if you might be imagining things given the stuff that we do know factually (coaches pushing him), or if you were seeing actual stuff other than TJ looked bad in drills.

I'm not trying to dog you in particular--just always questioning why anyone is making the opinions they are making. Whether it is reporters or otherwise.

There is so much good info on MBs, but there is a lot of stuff where people make opinions on stuff and you can never figure out where that came from.

I still see him as a work in progress who needs to be pushed (as do his coaches obviously) which is a shame for a first round pick entering his second season.

Agreed.

bigTEXan8
07-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Hopefully TJ picks it up. He could be very valuable to that d-line. Hopeful Kubiak can light a fire under his ***.

vtech9
07-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey TC, this really isn't any of my business, but I thought I'd comment none the less. I've been reading the message boards for the last 5 years, and although I don't post very often, I do know a liitle about how certain people post. In this case, aj always tells it like he sees it. He doesn't pull any punches, and he doesn't throw any where he doesn't think they belong. He simply states his opinion, and lets you know just that, that it is his opinion. If he later sees that his opinion was wrong, he will let you and everyone know that he was wrong. I know some people will take everything he says as gospel, but at least give the rest of us credit for being able to think for ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

I know I speak for all of the out-of-towners when I say this...we are very appreciative for everything that you, aj, coachc, terek, and everyone else, write about the Texans. We are all grateful to Bullpenphotos for bringing us the images from training camp and the OTA's. I know I personally, take every bit of information I gather from the posters here and from everywhere else, and form my own opinion. I know my what I read isn't always right, but I still read it, and enjoy it for what it is worth.

I guess the short version of what I am trying to say is, just because you may not agree with what someone posts, don't berate them for it. Simply take what you want from it, just like everyone else will, and leave it at that.

thegr8fan
07-30-2006, 11:30 AM
I am certainly not asking you to pump sunshine, but in my opinion, it is irresponsible to say stuff in a public forum negative about someone's reputation unless it is based on something pretty durned tangible.
-so if it's so irresponsible to do this, why do you question aj's reputation in this public forum without anything tangible to hang it on?

aj gives informed opinions and analysis. Key word there is INFORMED. He has as much right to his opinion as you do yours, even when that opinion is something negative about a current player. for some of us out of towners those opinions and analysis are very important and keep us somewhat linked to a process that we can not personally attend ourselves. I am very thankfull for aj's perspective. There are actually a few writers/MB members who can watch a football team and make INFORMED opinions on them. aj, Keith at HPF, Vinny, cak, Ses, come to mind immediately. Those people have been around the boards a very long time, and around NFL football even longer, and have proven themselves to be able to make these kinds of observations and pass them along to others fairly and reliably.

give some credit to the rest of the board for being intelligent enough to understand that they are still observations and opinions though.

southtexan
07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I have 2 teenagers and I had a Pomeranian but he loved to scratch my furniture I had to kick him out with my Boxer and I think my Boxer eat that little dog because I can't find him.

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2006, 12:38 PM
TJ is crazy wearing long sleeves , that wouldd make anyone sluggish . If we were in a low humidity climate then wearing long sleaves would cool you off once you were saturated with sweat . This would happen because the sweat would evaporate cooling you down . Being that its 90% humidity ... he might as well be wearing saran wrap .

vtech9
07-30-2006, 01:11 PM
TJ is crazy wearing long sleeves , that wouldd make anyone sluggish . If we were in a low humidity climate then wearing long sleaves would cool you off once you were saturated with sweat . This would happen because the sweat would evaporate cooling you down . Being that its 90% humidity ... he might as well be wearing saran wrap .
which may be part of his intention...He should drops some pondage that way.

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
He loses water , which he puts right back on when he re-hydrates .

aj.
07-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah, everything is speculation.

It's just fan blather like everything else here.

it is irresponsible ...

I was just wondering if you might be imagining things ....

Whatever TC.

While I'm not a utopian dreamer, I am a football fan - have been for a good while - and I'm going to continue to watch football and football players, and talk about football and football players, like football fans do. I'm not going to wait for the quote sheets to be handed out by media relations before I say and write what I feel, what I see, and what I sense.

The only thing I'd like to ask is that you exercise equal opportunity criticism of fans on this message board who dare to say anything negative about the Texans, even if it might be - god forbid - speculative.

I'd like you to PM me if you have a problem with what I post so we can handle this offline and not continue to waste megabytes of space, and waste people's time on things that aren't related to important stuff like training camp news, etc.

Double Barrel
07-30-2006, 03:38 PM
All I know is that TJ is a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. That, in itself, should be reserved for highly talented players that know how to keep themselves in shape and self-motivate.

When multiple coaches are required to publicly dog a player - especially a first round pick - something is not right.

aj's perspective/insight/opinion/speculation/whatever only confirms the fact that TJ is not living up to his potential, talent, or status as a first rounder, IMO.

It is pathetic that TJ requires extra motivation from coaches, and it is extremely pathetic that he comes in fat, out-of-shape, and without the will to be the best on his own.

It sounds like our coaches are having to take the time to baby-sit. I'm sorry if I expect more from a first round pick in the NFL.

Coach C.
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
TC I dont mean to jump on you cause you know you are slowly becoming my girl(in a homegirl kinda way), but AJ is right on about TJ. The guy is lazy out there and lethargic. He needs to get in gear or he will have a new address real soon. I said it earlier on the boards and got many bad remark toward me, but the guy is fat and not nearly as explosive as he should be. Legitimately he is really a 270lb guy with just extra added on to play DT. Not saying that he cannot be good, but he will need to get the stick out of his posterior and get his mind right to truly help this team and get some PT.

jerek
07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
All I know is that TJ is a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. That, in itself, should be reserved for highly talented players that know how to keep themselves in shape and self-motivate.

When multiple coaches are required to publicly dog a player - especially a first round pick - something is not right.

aj's perspective/insight/opinion/speculation/whatever only confirms the fact that TJ is not living up to his potential, talent, or status as a first rounder, IMO.

It is pathetic that TJ requires extra motivation from coaches, and it is extremely pathetic that he comes in fat, out-of-shape, and without the will to be the best on his own.

It sounds like our coaches are having to take the time to baby-sit. I'm sorry if I expect more from a first round pick in the NFL.

That's my take and honestly has been so for months now; was just disappointed to see that he showed up to camp for the Kubiak Era in the same condition. I never liked the TJ pick because he had a rep for those same things at FSU and questions of his off-field personality aside, I was never convinced he would be a major contributor and especially at the cost of passing on Derrick Johnson. I'm not writing him off yet because he's still young and IMO this new coaching staff and specifically Carm (not going to try to spell his name and too lazy to look it up) just might be just the guy to raise his level of play. Travis Johnson is a Texan and as such I wholeheartedly root for his success.

And not to dog you, Texans Chick, but like aj., I have to call it like I see it. In my comparatively short 26 years on this earth I've made it a point to study people, and I'm good at picking up on and interpreting behavioral nuances that most people miss; let alone my direct observations of his play and the things I hear from team sources. I can be wrong, just doesn't happen all too often. Same goes for my comments re: Seth Wand, who got abused in practice today.

I sincerely like your writing and I've grown to appreciate it much more during my time on this board, so I hope my negativity in regards to different players doesn't come across as personal; I'm just reporting on what I see and hear.

nunusguy
07-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Are you sure that's an accurate description of how that process works ?
If you notice most of the Hispanic landscape guys, they've got long sleeves,
even sweat shirts, in this summertime heat and humidy. And nobody has the
kind if stamina they have working outstide here in the Houston elements.

TexansLucky13
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM

Kubiak was wearing a sweater, but I guess he wasn't on the field sweating. :rolleyes:

aj.
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Carm (not going to try to spell his name and too lazy to look it up)

Bob Karmelowicz, aka Mickey.

He was teaching his ass off today. Today's quote was "Every time you put your hand on the ground, you sign your name." Followed by motivational bits like "what do you want your peers to say about you when you're not around?" "You want them to say, we're playing the Texans - no big deal?" I wish I could translate better - with the voice.

It seemed like an entirely new dynamic to see them in pads and hearing the pads cracking. They were in shells for the Friday and Saturday morning sessions.

Coach C.
07-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Just a sidenote I would love for Karm, Riley, and Hoke to have their own radio show it would be better than anything on 610 except for Texans Games.

jerek
07-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Good call. My Karmelowicz instructional quote of the day: "It's like that Busta Rhymes song ... 'put your hands where my eyes can see'" ... Dude cracks me up.

aj.
07-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Good call. My Karmelowicz quote of the day: "It's like that Busta Rhymes song ... 'put your hands where my eyes can see'" ... Dude cracks me up.

Or "John Chick!" "What the *%#@&%$#$ are you looking at the ground for, (during a rush drill) there's nothing down there! *%#@&%$#" Keep your *%#@&%$# head up!!! *%#@&%$#

Some of us were joking after practice that that was the reason they moved practice to Field 3, to keep the kids from hearing all that.

Texans_Chick
07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Whatever TC.

While I'm not a utopian dreamer, I am a football fan - have been for a good while - and I'm going to continue to watch football and football players, and talk about football and football players, like football fans do. I'm not going to wait for the quote sheets to be handed out by media relations before I say and write what I feel, what I see, and what I sense.

The only thing I'd like to ask is that you exercise equal opportunity criticism of fans on this message board who dare to say anything negative about the Texans, even if it might be - god forbid - speculative.

I'd like you to PM me if you have a problem with what I post so we can handle this offline and not continue to waste megabytes of space, and waste people's time on things that aren't related to important stuff like training camp news, etc.

Look, AJ, and everyone.

I am not trying to berate anyone, and especially AJ in particular, someone whose opinion and writing, I very much enjoy reading and someone I enjoy talking with. I don't have a problem with anyone. Life is too short and precious to be busted up about something that is fun.

And yes, I often take the role of questioning opinions on the MB both positive and negative about players, coaches, schemes, whatever. Often threads become exercises in group think.

Sometimes a lot of the things said on the message board are so ridiculous that if I questioned everything here that didn't seem to have any factual basis, I'd spend more time here than I already do. I've questioned AJ before and tons of others. Just because I want to try to figure out what the deal is.

I respect AJs opinions of stuff, and just wanted to know what they were based on.

I was just wanting to know what he was basing his observation that TJ looked "lifeless, sluggish and unmotivated?" That was it.

The fact that he is not reacting when coaches are chewing on him could be that he is hot or focused or serious or taking correction or dreaming about food, or lifeless, sluggish and unmotivated. It just seemed like a pretty harsh interpretation of stuff based on the observation of some poor drills and not reacting to getting chewed on. I wanted to know if there was more to that.

Really I don't want to make this a deal. Saying stuff over the internet is always up for misinterpretation of tone and intent and meaning, and I'm cool with everyone.

:cool:

P.S. BTW, being a Utopian Dreamer shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Just in the worst of the worst of last year, in the most empty of a big stadium, when I wouldn't have anyone sitting around me for rows, watching some really miserable product, all I could think of is how fine it would be for the stadium to be packed. Packed with fans cheering for the team.

And the team actually looking and performing like a real NFL team. That it would be fun to watch the team. Not just watching them to see glimpses of development and lots of regression. But to ENJOY watching something that was working. And picturing what the playoffs would look like. And being a part of that.

I went to the Big 12 championship and it was just amazing to see so many people cheering the team, so loud, all wearing the colors and just thinking I am so ready to see the Texans succeed. Reliant has been loud for the Texans in the past, but I'm talking about destroying the other team loud, being a great team loud.

And just thinking of how difficult that would be for them to get there. It is so much easier to fail in the NFL than to succeed.

So, in the midst of knowing what the reality is, and how hard and sometimes ugly it can be and immersing myself in it, the thing that keeps me going is the the dream of better times. That someday it is going to happen, and I will have had the privilege of seeing it from the beginning.

So yeah, last season made me self-identify as "Utopian Dreamer." You can interpret that as being rah rah, cheerleader, Miss Merry Sunshine, self-delusional, naive or any number of things but that is not where it comes from. It comes from wanting the team to succeed so badly that I wish I could put on gear myself and hit somebody. Real football.

The team isn't ready, but I sure am ready for the season to start. :texflag:

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Or "John Chick!" "What the *%#@&%$#$ are you looking at the ground for, (during a rush drill) there's nothing down there! *%#@&%$#" Keep your *%#@&%$# head up!!! *%#@&%$#

Some of us were joking after practice that that was the reason they moved practice to Field 3, to keep the kids from hearing all that.

That's what I am talking about... get those church mice stirred up and moving around a bit.

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Are you sure that's an accurate description of how that process works ?
If you notice most of the Hispanic landscape guys, they've got long sleeves,
even sweat shirts, in this summertime heat and humidy. And nobody has the
kind if stamina they have working outstide here in the Houston elements.
Yeah , all those 320 lb hispanic landscape guys with helmets . We're not talking about guys who work in the heat everyday and weigh in at 140 . We 're talking about a guy that seems to need all the help he can get . Just for giggles and grins go get a pushmower and try mowing half the yard in long sleeves and half with short sleeves .

MorKnolle
07-30-2006, 10:32 PM

He was teaching his ass off today. Today's quote was "Every time you put your hand on the ground, you sign your name." Followed by motivational bits like "what do you want your peers to say about you when you're not around?" "You want them to say, we're playing the Texans - no big deal?" I wish I could translate better - with the voice.

It seemed like an entirely new dynamic to see them in pads and hearing the pads cracking. They were in shells for the Friday and Saturday morning sessions.

Karm is always very entertaining to listen to if you're within earshot. The DLine seems to be our best group so far, and Karm is frequently spending individual time with Mario in between plays and drills, working on showing him some tricks and improving his technique. Peek has looked good, Babin has looked surprisingly good thusfar, Weaver has looked very nice, it looks like our DLine is in good hands between Karmelowicz and Richard Smith.

Meloy
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
You know what? If the central figure in this thread had simply said to himself, "Hey, Travis, you are a 1st round pick getting 1st round money. Last year sucked. You can blame coaching, karma, 3-4 versus 4-3 in college, or what ever. Look Trav, the new coaches want you to succeed. The new scheme should benefit you. Take your meds, eat better, lose the weight and keep it off and you should be ok." If he just goes about things like he was trying to convince that 2006 was going to be his year,IMO this thread would never have appeared. I think some of us are just concerned that a high pick may have been wasted. All of us want this young man to be successful. I hope he wants it as bad as I want it for him.

Marshall'sLaw
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
You know what? If the central figure in this thread had simply said to himself, "Hey, Travis, you are a 1st round pick getting 1st round money. Last year sucked. You can blame coaching, karma, 3-4 versus 4-3 in college, or what ever. Look Trav, the new coaches want you to succeed. The new scheme should benefit you. Take your meds, eat better, lose the weight and keep it off and you should be ok." If he just goes about things like he was trying to convince that 2006 was going to be his year,IMO this thread would never have appeared. I think some of us are just concerned that a high pick may have been wasted. All of us want this young man to be successful. I hope he wants it as bad as I want it for him.

Havent our last three first round picks been on DE Babin T Johnson Mario Williams Hopefully the third time is a charm.:confused:

HOU-TEX
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Havent our last three first round picks been on DE Babin T Johnson Mario Williams Hopefully the third time is a charm.:confused:

Are you saying the first two are busts? I think not. I agree Babin has been average at best but far from bust. Having said that, this year's going to be an outstanding year for him, watch. As far as TJ, he's only in his second year. He can't be determined a bust yet. He'll be OK.:ok: