PDA

View Full Version : The new Texans have arrived!

Ibar_Harry
07-29-2006, 12:09 AM
The train is at the station getting ready to leave for the playoffs. I know this is premature, but there is nothing about today's practice to make me feel differently. Last year at this time it was gastly.

One of the most encouraging signs was the appearance of a reasonably sound DD. Is he a 100%, no but he's close. His well being has been of considerable concern and speculation over the last several weeks. So, that problem looks like it has been put to rest.

An often injured TE proved to be a viable player on the field and caught his coaches eye, not because he almost lost his shorts. That person also added a few more nails to the coffin of the previous staff when he elaborated on perhaps what they said and how he was treated.

Mario was simply Mario with the coach indicating that he caused havic when people tried to run his way. I also like the remarks from Wiegert in this regard as he is about our best lineman. He is impressed with Mario's ability. Mario is in camp and the Saints are trying to find out if there is anyone hiding in the Bushes. Oh, yea that's right they may have closed all of their practices to the public for the time being.

Seriously the 1st day has been as about as good as it gets for the Texans. From what I have read of the Kubiak comments I think we are headed in the right direction. The team is coming together and we are simply not going to be the team we were last year. The defense is probably going to be a heck of a lot better than people think with an offense that may develop a little more slowly than I thought. That is the opposite of what most of us have felt. That's not all that bad though as you can win a lot of games playing good defense. I have no reason as yet to change my 13-3 prediction. My biggest concern was DD and so far so good.

Anyway as I have been saying -- Folks just sit back and enjoy the ride, its going to be a long one and I might add a very satisfying one at that.....

Carr Bombed
07-29-2006, 12:30 AM
I think the rest that DD is being given will be beneficial. There really is no reason to overwork your starting RB in camp, save it for the season. They can knock off the rust during the preseason games.

TK_Gamer
07-29-2006, 12:41 AM
The train is at the station getting ready to leave for the playoffs. I know this is premature, but there is nothing about today's practice to make me feel differently. Last year at this time it was gastly.

One of the most encouraging signs was the appearance of a reasonably sound DD. Is he a 100%, no but he's close. His well being has been of considerable concern and speculation over the last several weeks. So, that problem looks like it has been put to rest.

An often injured TE proved to be a viable player on the field and caught his coaches eye, not because he almost lost his shorts. That person also added a few more nails to the coffin of the previous staff when he elaborated on perhaps what they said and how he was treated.

Mario was simply Mario with the coach indicating that he caused havic when people tried to run his way. I also like the remarks from Wiegert in this regard as he is about our best lineman. He is impressed with Mario's ability. Mario is in camp and the Saints are trying to find out if there is anyone hiding in the Bushes. Oh, yea that's right they may have closed all of their practices to the public for the time being.

Seriously the 1st day has been as about as good as it gets for the Texans. From what I have read of the Kubiak comments I think we are headed in the right direction. The team is coming together and we are simply not going to be the team we were last year. The defense is probably going to be a heck of a lot better than people think with an offense that may develop a little more slowly than I thought. That is the opposite of what most of us have felt. That's not all that bad though as you can win a lot of games playing good defense. I have no reason as yet to change my 13-3 prediction. My biggest concern was DD and so far so good.

Anyway as I have been saying -- Folks just sit back and enjoy the ride, its going to be a long one and I might add a very satisfying one at that.....

I think we started good too, on many positive notes, DD is getting better fast, Bennie didnt get injured ( big sigh ), alot of good remarks about Mario, generally good upbeat attitude about the new regime/system.

now not to say I woundnt love a 13-3 season, I have worries. maybe minor , maybe not. I think the homer feelgood attitude has kindly shaded our weaknesses. one injury at linebacker (we are thin) will hurt us severely. offensive line....hello, we still have mostly the same line we had last year, subtract wade and add flanigan shift a couple around and you still have our old line + 2 rookies. dont get me wrong our rookies will be solid in a couple years, but rookie lineman dont usually make a huge impact their rookie year.
Lastly secondary. honestly look at our secondary, grade them on a 1 to 10 for coverage and tackling then decide how well we are set at DB. i give us an overall average of 6 coverage, 5 tacklng. most of the score waited by D-rob. we should have picked up another corner and a FS. IMHO. so all things considered i think we go 2-6 first half of the season, then barring injury bug, the o-line and carr get in the grove and we go 5-3 the second half . still not to shabby and next year we beef up our o-line more, and secondary, add a linebacker or 2 and we have a chance at the playoffs.

edit on most threads i have predicted 8-8 or better with some luck , but i really honestly thought we would add some LB and DB help before camp. maybe help is still in the works and in that case disregard all of this..

ocd
07-29-2006, 03:10 AM
If we can make it thru September without all of the so called fans wanting to linch Carr and Kubiak (remember the playbook is very complicated), we're gonna finish second in the division. And you know that's huge coming off an 0 and 8, last place finish last season...btw, I said we were gonna go 2 and 6 so I was close.

Will I be close again this season? Probably.

:bananasplit:

phantom17
07-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Well, I can't wait for the season to start! My expectations won't be too high because it's a new HC & system on both sides of the ball! I will be happy if the Texans win 5 games this year. It's just silly to expect this team to go to the playoffs ( but it would be nice) this year. I'm keeping a close eye on all the rookies & to see how they progress this coming season!:cowboy1: Remember, everyone just be happy H-town has a pro football team, 'nuff said!

Stampede
07-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Nice post ibar. It feels good to know that we are headed in the right direction.

Double Barrel
07-29-2006, 11:16 AM
The new attitude in Texansland is refreshing. I like the perspective that Coach Kubiak is bringing to the team, and it shows in the fans reactions to training camp and team news in general.

I feel like we're at the beginning of a long road, instead of at the end of one like last season. Except this road will lead us to positive places.

TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!! :texflag:

Ole Miss Texan
07-29-2006, 06:36 PM
The thing I'm most concerned with are injuries, esp DD. If we don't have too many serious injuries this year, I'll be extatic.

Given you can say this for just about every team in the NFL, I don't know if you could say this about us last year. IF our offensive and defensive lines simply when their battle against the other teams, we cant beat most any team(including Indy this year). I don't know if we could have last year, but this year we have such an improved offense (moulds, putzier, DD please stay healthy) we will score some points. Our defense is much improved and if we can stop the o-line we can stop their points. It's pretty easy, if we dont stop their off. line, we lose.

I'm really excited about this year as are all Texans. We will be getting a lot of respect from the league and other teams over the next few years!

Rosusu
07-29-2006, 07:32 PM
The main good feeling I get from this year is the Winning attitude that this new coaching staff brings. They come from winners and they plan on winning games here. DD getting injured is a soft spot for a lot of people but I believe that Morency can step in very well and play some good ball for us. Not to mention the rest of the backs we have. Smith is a solid big back that has won a super bowl and thats always good to have in the locker room. I think we have a chance to have a solid season, I don't know about playoffs but I expect at least 6 wins this year.

Runner
07-29-2006, 07:40 PM
The new attitude in Texansland is refreshing. I like the perspective that Coach Kubiak is bringing to the team, ...

The impressive thing is Kubiak started developing this team's new attitude at his very first team meeting. I think he'll be able to continue it even when we hit the occasional rough patch, which is what is most important.

cuppacoffee
07-29-2006, 08:40 PM

Post from the past

05-17-2005
Ibar_Harry
All Pro Join Date: Apr 2004

What was not said!

"When I looked through the comments and pictures I found it interesting there were zero comments concerning the O-line. I mean nothing about Smith or the young Center. There were a number of comments on the other rookies. In fact the O-line comments centered around the recent O-line FA pickup. Interestingly, like everyone said he was in poor shape. I think that is ominous. They showed a picture of the D-line, but not the O-line. Some would say you are reading too much into this 1st workout, but I think not. This is the one continuing weakness and BJ going down means we can not rely on the TE at the present time to fortify the O-line. I will remain adiment that this team goes nowhere without O-line improvement. In fact I feel we will have a much worse season than last year if the O-line is not fixed. I did pick up on the fact they have changed some of their plays, however. One of the reporters, I believe in the Capers interview, refered to that.

Changing the plays or schemes will give you a temporary advantage until people adjust to what you have changed, but in the final analysis you have to do what you do well to be successful in the long run. Our O-line has to learn to block effectively if we are to go anywhere and have a successful season. The same could be said for the D-line."

Gotta give IBAR the props he is due! Can't nail it any better than that...:bowdown:

When do the playoff tickets go on sale?

:coffee:

El Tejano
07-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Post from the past

05-17-2005
Ibar_Harry
All Pro Join Date: Apr 2004

Changing the plays or schemes will give you a temporary advantage until people adjust to what you have changed, but in the final analysis you have to do what you do well to be successful in the long run. Our O-line has to learn to block effectively if we are to go anywhere and have a successful season. The same could be said for the D-line."

Gotta give IBAR the props he is due! Can't nail it any better than that...:bowdown:

When do the playoff tickets go on sale?

:coffee:
Yeah, That statement right there is basically what Kubiak said about two days ago. Wait, maybe Ibar is Kubiak :spy: