PDA

View Full Version : Rave Reviews for Mario

THEFUTURE
07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Not Sure If Already Posted.....http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5824522

HOUSTON (AP) - Beads of sweat poured off Mario Williams' head and a small blade of grass sat perched just below his left eye as he mentioned the Houston heat not once or twice - but about seven times.

The Houston Texans' No. 1 draft pick got rave reviews after his first practice of training camp on Friday, but knows that the tempo and climate of practice will take some getting used to.

"It's hot," he said of the 90-degree temperature mixed with stifling humidity. "But it's probably not as hot as it's going to be. Just being out here and getting a taste of it and just trying to get your body back in football shape is pretty tough."

Williams, a defensive end who starred at North Carolina State, said college two-a-days don't even compare to the difficulty of Friday's session.

"The tempo is very high and the coaches keep it high," he said. "If it's down they get on us constantly. In college it wasn't that hard. This is a different level with the tempo and the enthusiasm and intensity."

Williams fit in well with his teammates and didn't seem to be the victim of much rookie hazing. Veteran Robaire Smith handed him his shoulder pads to lug back to the locker room after practice, but a Texans staff member carried them away as Williams met with reporters.

New Texans coach Gary Kubiak was impressed with Williams on Friday and loves his attitude. Williams made his way into the backfield a couple of times in the short time the team ran full-squad drills.

"I know one thing, if you run that ball his way there's a lot of havoc going on over there - there's a lot of guys going backward," Kubiak said. "And that's what he's here for. He's a tremendous young talent, and it's going to be about consistency with him as a pro."

Double Barrel
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
New Texans coach Gary Kubiak was impressed with Williams on Friday and loves his attitude.

I like hearing this! :thumbup

I hope MW surprises a lot of people around the country. The Texans FO has taken so much heat the past couple of months for making the "wrong" pick, and the national media says it with such a know-it-all disdain that it makes it hard for me to even pay attention to their opinions. Because in their mind, they are so sure of what they think they know, and in expressing opinions they seem to disregard Williams.

JDizzle
07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Very refreshing .... he didn't start any fights with the benchwarmers, gotta love that!

SESupergenius
07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Anyone know what Marios bench press stats were?

JDizzle
07-28-2006, 06:29 PM

He rep'd out at 35 for the combine. Not sure what his max is.

nunusguy
07-28-2006, 06:38 PM
"Williams fit in well with his teammates and didn't seem to be the victim of much rookie hazing. Veteran Robaire Smith handed him his shoulder pads to lug back to the locker room after practice, but a Texans staff member carried them away as Williams met with reporters."
Who's gonna dis a multi milillionare ? And I'm not talkin a couple mil, cause
that's chump change for Mario. He's gettin 'bout 15 mill cash this year alone !
He seems like a real descent, good kid.
OK. Lets just hope McNairs very large investment pays off.

the wonger need food
07-28-2006, 06:56 PM
It's going to be fun watching this guy mature. Watching him interact with the fans today, he seemed like a kid (which in reality, he is). He walked down the stairs and got 20 feet through the fan gauntlet refusing to sign autographs. Then about halfway through he caved and signed for 10 or so people. While he was stretching, a guy walked by and yelled "get'em Mario". He immediately looked up and gave the guy a tenative wave with sort of a lost puppy dog look. I can't imagine the pressure this guy is feeling while trying to live up to a $50 million contract that he could not have even fathomed a year ago at this time.

Texan Asylum
07-28-2006, 07:04 PM
It's going to be fun watching this guy mature. Watching him interact with the fans today, he seemed like a kid (which in reality, he is). He walked down the stairs and got 20 feet through the fan gauntlet refusing to sign autographs. Then about halfway through he caved and signed for 10 or so people. While he was stretching, a guy walked by and yelled "get'em Mario". He immediately looked up and gave the guy a tenative wave with sort of a lost puppy dog look. I can't imagine the pressure this guy is feeling while trying to live up to a $50 million contract that he could not have even fathomed a year ago at this time.
I would imagine that the overwhelming resposibility he feels for proving he was worth the #1 pick has got to be tremendous. I can imagine that he's just itching to get out there and prove that he is. Uhhh, look out McNabb.:mario:

Nawzer
07-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Key word in that entire article is "havoc". His job is to create havoc as much as possible. If he can do that consistently then our team should be improved immediately.

Insideop
07-28-2006, 07:37 PM

I don't know what they are now, but I heard on that Ch 13 show last night when they did a segment on his life, that he benched pressed a little over 400 lbs., IN HIGH SCHOOL! :superman: What a Monster!

Carr Bombed
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
]']Ummmm his also 300 lbs and 6-8. Hahahahah He is the biggest guy we have. Yeah.....somebody will diss him.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

The Vets are probably sitting in the cafeteria saying, "Uh whos going to haze Mario"......."I don't know why don't you do it, you play with him"........"Uh no I'm.. uh too busy right now"

he he:howdy:

Mario will probably go down as our least messed with rookie of all time....

He should made Travis Johnson carry HIS pads.

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
you guys think he looked good this morning you should have seen the next practice.

Honoring Earl 34
07-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Well Coach C , we're waiting .

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Honoring Earl what are you waiting for? Come out next public day, I think it is Sunday or Sat whichever and see the show. I kid you not our D-line is going to be a force this year. Our O-line will also be better just from going up against higher quality personnel

Texan Asylum
07-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Man, I envy you guys being able to go down and watch these guys practice. :crying:

TheRealJoker
07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
So ummm, how's that guy everyone wishes we would've drafted doing in training camp?

Oh wait...

Honoring Earl 34
07-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Coach C , I 'd love to come out but don't you need tickets ? At this point and time I'd like to know if you think Mario's all that and more .

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Kubiak you are right Babin and Peek should look quite good on the other side of Mario. One play comes to mind when Babin was on the opposite side and Mario just blazed in and Rosenfels stepped to the left only to see Babin staring him in the face. It was disturbing how little time and how bad Wand got beat on that play. Anyway I am looking forward to the rest of TC and it should be great, need to put a couple more Cool Fans down there though to keep everyone from cooking.

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Coach C , I 'd love to come out but don't you need tickets ? At this point and time I'd like to know if you think Mario's all that and more .

Umm yeah I think you do need tickets, not sure were you get them from though. As far as Mario goes, this kid has that IT that people were talking about before the draft about those other two guys that we did not pick. He is a true beast. It is awesome to watch one play and he just blows by Weigert or whichever lineman and the next pushes them back into the play to disrupt it. He is so very disruptive, and unfortunately that is harder to measure, but when you watch the film he just makes so many things happen and those around him better. That is the most important thing is that he makes the whole front 7 better. The sad thing is this though, you can tell he still does not have the nuances of his position down yet, so he is really just going off pure instinct and athleticsm, when he puts it together with the knowledge Karm is teaching him the kid is going to be a freakin MONSTER!!!

YoungTexanFan
07-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Umm yeah I think you do need tickets, not sure were you get them from though. As far as Mario goes, this kid has that IT that people were talking about before the draft about those other two guys that we did not pick. He is a true beast. It is awesome to watch one play and he just blows by Weigert or whichever lineman and the next pushes them back into the play to disrupt it. He is so very disruptive, and unfortunately that is harder to measure, but when you watch the film he just makes so many things happen and those around him better. That is the most important thing is that he makes the whole front 7 better. The sad thing is this though, you can tell he still does not have the nuances of his position down yet, so he is really just going off pure instinct and athleticsm, when he puts it together with the knowledge Karm is teaching him the kid is going to be a freakin MONSTER!!!

Thanks for the good updates Coach, but remember Mario entered the draft early and is only 21 years of age. He can barely drink yet. He isn't going to have all the nuances of DE down just yet. Let his insurance rates go down first. :drool: :redtowel:

TheRealJoker
07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
:fireball:

Honoring Earl 34
07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I think Mario will live up to his hype ... he is mature beyond his years .

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Just something extra that I thought of more about Demeco and how savy that young kid is. He is going to be around a long time in this league and once we have some respect around the league he could be a future pro-bowler. His technique is as good as you could expect from a rookie and he literally gets better every practice.

P.S. Watch Chris Taylor a dark-horse pick of mine and a couple of people now. He looks good, will have to see what he looks like when they strap the pads on Sunday though.

Honoring Earl 34
07-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Coach C , how much difference is there between AJ Hawk and DeMeco in your point of view ?

Double Barrel
07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
]']In all my life, I have never seen a guy move like Mario. Jason Taylor might move like a cat, but he is small. Mario is like a damn buffalo that moves like a Jaguar.

Barring injury, this guy might very well end up in HOF!

He has everything to succeed!

1) Measurables - off the charts
2) Attitude
3) 2 DTs in Payne and Weaver that can stuff the run so Mario can just pin his ears back and attack
4) Strong DE on the other side. Still questionable, but I think Babs and Peek can even ride Marios wave and get a sack or 10.

I like it! :thumbup I'd take a HoF defensive end over a HoF RB anytime. Having a dominant D is almost always a road to the championship. All too often the public is razzle-dazzled by offensive highlights, but a good defense will stop those points from getting scored. A mediocre offense can ride a great defense to a Superbowl title, but rarely does a powerful offense carry a mediocre D.

I can't wait to see Williams blast past a linemen for his first NFL sack! :redtowel:

TexansSeminole
07-28-2006, 09:52 PM
He creates a good situation at the weakside DE spot. At N.C. State Manny Lawson shined with Mario, so he is proven to make his teamates better. Peek and Babin should fill that spot well. I really think by this time next year we will have a set starter at that position, but this year I think there will be alot of shared time throughout the season.

MorKnolle
07-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Coach C , how much difference is there between AJ Hawk and DeMeco in your point of view ?

I would say Hawk is the more athletic of the two for sure, but Ryans probably reads and reacts quicker, that isn't Hawk's s strong suit. I've heard numerous times that at Ohio St. Carpenter and especially Schlegel read the plays sooner, but Hawk was just athletic enough to beat them to the ball once he figured out what was going on. Ryans has very good instincts and good technique, and is definitely adequately athletic.

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I would say Hawk is the more athletic of the two for sure, but Ryans probably reads and reacts quicker, that isn't Hawk's s strong suit. I've heard numerous times that at Ohio St. Carpenter and especially Schlegel read the plays sooner, but Hawk was just athletic enough to beat them to the ball once he figured out what was going on. Ryans has very good instincts and good technique, and is definitely adequately athletic.

Mork is right on with his analysis. Hawk is usually slow off the ball and makes up for it with his athleticism. As he learns in the NFL he will become much better at that, and may have a higher upside than Demeco, but Meco will likely always react better to the ball. Hawk is more of a big safety wereas Meco is a true LB.

aj.
07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Hawk is a reincarnation of Chris Speilman.

Kaiser Toro
07-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Hawk is a reincarnation of Chris Speilman.

Isn't Spielman still alive? I would consider this more of a possession than reincarnation. :francis:

Carr Bombed
07-29-2006, 12:10 AM
The difference between Hawk's and Ryans' 40 time is only .04 of a second. Demeco is just one of those players that for whatever reason slipped through the crack and out of the first round. He has all the intangibles to be a star in this league.

Carr Bombed
07-29-2006, 12:16 AM
The home page has him listed at 6'2 and 236, plenty big enough.

As he gets older and goes through more NFL seasons, he'll naturally get bigger. 245 range

YoungTexanFan
07-29-2006, 12:19 AM
The home page has him listed at 6'2 and 236, plenty big enough.

As he gets older and goes through more NFL seasons, he'll naturally get bigger. 245 range

I agree that he is big enough. He will also add more weight as you said.

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2006, 08:10 AM
In my opinion , the three most hyped players last year were Reggie Bush , Matt Leinart and AJ Hawk . Sometimes the hype elevates a player more than he should be . Does anyone know who AJs girlfriend was in the OSU vs ND game ?

Kaiser Toro
07-29-2006, 08:11 AM
In my opinion , the three most hyped players last year were Reggie Bush , Matt Leinart and AJ Hawk . Sometimes the hype elevates a player more than he should be . Does anyone know who AJs girlfriend was in the OSU vs ND game ?

Quinn's sister.

JDizzle
07-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Quinn's sister.

I think anyone who watched that game was reminded many times of that. It got kind of annoying after a while. At any rate, it's time for him to leave the college girls alone and start dating a coked-up super model!

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Quinn's sister.
KT , two things that I know for sure , who Bubby Brister's mother is and who AJ Hawk's girlfriend is . We may not know who the father of Tom Cruse's baby is but we do know the other two facts .:bananasplit:

The Preacher
07-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Great to here from everybody about camp sounds like we could be surprising some folks this year. Keep it coming the worst thing about Tennessee is the Texans are far away and the Titans are all the talk. For all Vince fans the news is he is firmly entrenched behind Billy Volek on the depth chart and Kerry Collins might be brought in. Actually I'm rooting for the kid and hope he gives all my Titan friends something to cheer about, as long as the Texans win and Mario has more sacks than Vince TD's head to head in what is sure to be one of the best rivalries for the next decade to come. :fireball:

threetoedpete
07-29-2006, 09:33 AM
I think anyone who watched that game was reminded many times of that. It got kind of annoying after a while. At any rate, it's time for him to leave the college girls alone and start dating a coked-up super model!

Thought I saw they got married the other day ?
http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/quinn_kelly00.html

I think she's a nice looking girl.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/29/sports/ncaafootball/29brady.html

TwinSisters
07-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Key word in that entire article is "havoc". His job is to create havoc as much as possible. If he can do that consistently then our team should be improved immediately.

Right on. That's what I keyed on too.

The only problem with that is he is making havoc against our line... which doesn't make me feel as good!

But then that should help them improve too.

South Texan
07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Right on. That's what I keyed on too.

The only problem with that is he is making havoc against our line... which doesn't make me feel as good!

But then that should help them improve too.

The O-Line is just slacking off on Mario to build his confidence. Yeah, right.

TS is right, when you play against the best you definately get better, ask any Chess Master about that. This may be exactly what our O-Line needed in past years, every day practice against a pressure defense, instead of seeing real pressure just one time a week, namely gameday. The o-line has to get better to keep the coaches off their backsides in practice, the d-line get's better to counter the better o-line, who gets better to counter the d-line.... things begin to open up all over the field... Anyone got a napkin? I am starting to drool all over myself. :drool:

GuerillaBlack
07-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Mario is going to be one good player. Reggie White returns in Mario Williams. People are starting to change their opinions on him. I remember at the draft, people were yelling overrated.

BradK10
07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
KT , two things that I know for sure , who Bubby Brister's mother is and who AJ Hawk's girlfriend is . We may not know who the father of Tom Cruse's baby is but we do know the other two facts .:bananasplit:

wait, so who is Bubby's mother?

MorKnolle
07-29-2006, 09:13 PM

FYI, Hawk and Quinn's sister got married last weekend.

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
wait, so who is Bubby's mother?
Several years ago , the Steelers were in a playoff game and the network kept showing Brister's mother over and over and over .

TwinSisters
07-30-2006, 05:46 AM
http://bunkie.com/Reunions/AWsPictures_50s/pages/P4230104.htm