07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
This is a pretty good summary:

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout135.html

And the McClain blog:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/07/sights_and_sounds_of_training.html

Texans34Life
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I like this from McClain's blog:

The crowd has just ooooed and aaaaahed because Mario Williams got off the line of scrimmage as if shot out of a cannon and could have destroyed David Carr if defensive linemen could hit quarterbacks. Carr says after practice that this happened more than once. He praises Williams' quickness and explosiveness off the ball.

Brandon420tx
07-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I like the final comments about Joppru in Weilands article

Big78
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
good read. i like how he covered the entire day and all its happenings. i like what im hearing about all of our coaches. hope the guys new to the texas heat get used to it soon and it doesnt hurt anyone worse than just making them have to leave the field.

Vinny
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Keith does very nice work and has a good eye for the game.

Brandon420tx
07-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Did anyone else notice if McClains blog doubled?

nunusguy
07-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I really liked Keith Weiland's article. A very thorough, comphrehensive, and
informative article. Yes it was lengthy, which was fine with me since I've been
craving more and more info now that we are getting things cranked up for real.

the wonger need food
07-28-2006, 05:28 PM
If you had to choose between the two... Keith's article is much more entertaining than Johnny Football's.

ArlingtonTexan
07-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Why is it of no surprise that McLame's blog contained more info on Manfull's baby, and Spencer Tillman's ring thn anything that happen on the field?

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2006, 05:40 PM
From Keith's story:

Bennie Joppru Watch: Well, he made it through his first day of training camp. Peek abused him though when he tried to block. Then later, Joppru made a nice catch downfield, but his shorts slipped past one of his butt cheeks in the process. There is no dignity in football!

This is a case where it's just best to turn the other cheek.:embarrass

Kaiser Toro
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Why is it of no surprise that McLame's blog contained more info on Manfull's baby, and Spencer Tillman's ring thn anything that happen on the field?

Agreed. I actually want that three minutes back in my life. That will be the last article/blog I read from McClain on the Texans.

threetoedpete
07-28-2006, 05:51 PM
If you had to choose between the two... Keith's article is much more entertaining than Johnny Football's.
McClain's not the "General " any more. He's Hollywood John.

GP
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Did anyone else notice if McClains blog doubled?

Yeah, he must have trouble with cut-n-paste.

Guess it's fortunate for him that he did it to himself and not cut-n-pasting from TexansChick or Keith or someone else who CAN WRITE WITHOUT TURNING IT INTO A "Good to see my old pal so-and-so and blah-beh-dee-bloo-blah..."

I like his sign off at the end. Yeah, Johnny...you somehow won life's lottery because you cannot write analysis to save your rear. I'm sorry. I could care less if the guy is likeable or not, he cannot write to save his life. And then he rubs it in our noses at the end of his piece. Uggghh. :challenge

What an incredibly sad and depressing situation for millions of people who crave to hear good Houston pro football analysis and commentary (in print) and they've been given Johnny Mac.

TexansSeminole
07-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Agreed. I actually want that three minutes back in my life. That will be the last article/blog I read from McClain on the Texans.

That's for sure!

Double Barrel
07-28-2006, 06:43 PM
The crowd has just ooooed and aaaaahed because Mario Williams got off the line of scrimmage as if shot out of a cannon and could have destroyed David Carr if defensive linemen could hit quarterbacks. Carr says after practice that this happened more than once. He praises Williams' quickness and explosiveness off the ball.

If anyone should know about being on the receiving end of defensive linemen, it would be David Carr. I figure 200+ sacks gives him a unique perspective.

Texans_Chick
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Keith's recap was perfect.

It is refreshing to read something that involves an event I was at, and the written description of the event matches what was actually on the field.

I love Coach Joe too. :redtowel:

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Texans Chick, you I was specifically looking for and I thought I saw you in the stands during 7-7 doing a cheer or something, but I have no clue really what you look like so maybe it was not you. You know what they say "You all kinda look alike to me"

Texans_Chick
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Texans Chick, you I was specifically looking for and I thought I saw you in the stands during 7-7 doing a cheer or something, but I have no clue really what you look like so maybe it was not you. You know what they say "You all kinda look alike to me"

I don't "do cheers." Though I tend to yell and whistle. :)

I can't imagine that if you saw me, you would think I am fungible.

When I was there, I made sure to sit in the stands closest to where the players were at the time. Stood watching the linebackers, than sat for the 7-7s, then moved closer to the south when they were doing the full boogie drills.

I was sporting my "#1 TEXAN FAN" license plate purse.* Well, and other assorted Texans stuff that nobody else is uh, semi-offbalanced (but I contend in a good way) enough to wear.

*It is fun to bring the purses I make to games because I think it is hysterical that guys actually comment about purses. It violates man law.

Coach C.
07-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Nevermind then sorry. Was not in the stands so did not really notice alot of the people round that way.

Texans_Chick
07-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Nevermind then sorry. Was not in the stands so did not really notice alot of the people round that way.

Next time I'm able to go to camp again, I will be sure to do a shout out before I go.

We should probably start in the Tailgate section threads about who's going to camp what days.

A story.

It was funny. So I'm sitting in the stands, and people around me I don't know are talking about different players and stuff. And they are saying stuff that is just wrong. And finally, I can't stand it any more and I start politely correcting them. By the end of the practice, everybody is just asking me who is what number and where are they from and what happened to who, and then I realize that I've become some sort of weird Rain Man or something.

Am I the only one that does that?

Scooter
07-28-2006, 11:16 PM
With Ortiz, Robertson, Fran Blinebury and John Lopez on the sideline, the Chronicle is well-represented at the first practice.

Three of the local television heavyweights, Mark Berman, Bob Allen and Randy McIlvoy, are prowling the sideline. McIlvoy informs me that he's just returned from Los Angeles, where he got a special preview of "Invincible," which opens across the country Aug. 25. It stars Mark Wahlberg as former Eagles receiver Vince Papale and Greg Kinnear as his coach, Dick Vermeil.

I understand that Vermeil is going to participate in the promotion of the film that's produced by the same team as "The Rookie" and "Miracle," two of the best feel-good sports films of all time.

i have never, and will never buy a houston chronicle. what in the flying poo does this (and other randomness like megan's baby) have to do the first day of training camp?!?

Texans_Chick
07-28-2006, 11:30 PM
i have never, and will never buy a houston chronicle. what in the flying poo does this (and other randomness like megan's baby) have to do the first day of training camp?!?

The way McClain wrote the blog post is that if you click on it from the main portal (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/), you get most of the meat of the post without the blather. Personally, I don't mind blather, and often enjoy it, but I read fast and tend to blather my ownself.

It's like most stuff here on the MB or anywhere. Skim until you get the stuff you think is worth reading.

Kaiser Toro
07-28-2006, 11:36 PM
I just tried and his writing style wreaks of a fourth grade substitute teacher reading you the biography of Johnny Unitas. God bless the guy for his success, but God please bless us Texans fans and give us someone who cares about the Texans and not Scatman Crothers and Bud Adams playing baccarat in McClain's garden gazebo to John Tesh's cover of Smoke on the Water.

Texans_Chick
07-28-2006, 11:54 PM
I just tried and his writing style wreaks of a fourth grade substitute teacher reading you the biography of Johnny Unitas. God bless the guy for his success, but God please bless us Texans fans and give us someone who cares about the Texans and not Scatman Crothers and Bud Adams playing baccarat in McClain's garden gazebo to John Tesh's cover of Smoke on the Water.

I'm glad that I wasn't drinking something when I read that. :cool:

I didn't know your ears could bleed from mentally *hearing* a song that you have never actually heard.

I think he has to be pretty busy with everything going on, and I think he has to blog for a very general audience--hard core fans and those who are casual followers of the team. Those who are bright, and maybe not so much.

I have no stinkin' rules for how I blog other than it has to be self-amsuing. My bar is low.

Scooter
07-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I have no stinkin' rules for how I blog other than it has to be self-amsuing. My bar is low.

a personal touch is defining and fun to read. name dropping local reporters and going off on tangents about movies & babies during the first week of training camp is poor journalism. you'll not convince me that there was so little going on that 4+ paragraphs could be dedicated to talk non-relative to football, and a couple more that didnt involve the texans (when the subject was texans football). keith wrote an entertaining and informative article, mclain didnt even give me a chance to skim without getting annoyed.

as for "meat", that was wholly pathetic in comparison to anything i'd read here (and have read here ... see coach c).

DenverBorn
07-29-2006, 12:44 AM
4-12

aj.
07-29-2006, 06:56 AM
I just read McClain's blog and Robertson's article in today's Chronicle. Since they both thought they were being original by invoking the "Mickey" reference for Bob Karmelowicz, I'd like to remind them of my article that appeared on houstontexans.com on May 16, 2006:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2591&section=N%20Latest%20News

Here’s another insider bit. Remember Sylvester Stallone’s gravel-voiced trainer and coach Mickey (Burgess Merideth) in the movie Rocky? Texans fans, allow me to introduce you to defensive line coach Bob Karmelowicz.

No kidding. As I watched defensive line drills back in the corner field about mid-way through the practice, I had “Gonna Fly Now” ripping through my head. I was waiting for Sly to run out in his red, white and blue shorts and scale the “hill” at the back of the practice facility for effect. No, wait - that’s not possible since the hill is gone.

My report from yesterday is on the "It's training camp and it's hot" thread if anyone cares to read it.

GP
07-29-2006, 08:09 AM
a personal touch is defining and fun to read. name dropping local reporters and going off on tangents about movies & babies during the first week of training camp is poor journalism. you'll not convince me that there was so little going on that 4+ paragraphs could be dedicated to talk non-relative to football, and a couple more that didnt involve the texans (when the subject was texans football). keith wrote an entertaining and informative article, mclain didnt even give me a chance to skim without getting annoyed.

as for "meat", that was wholly pathetic in comparison to anything i'd read here (and have read here ... see coach c).

I am a very good writer. I write for accuracy (as much as I can) and I write for entertainment. I studied journalism in college. McLain would have been the absolute worst student in my class back in 1998, and I cannot believe that the Chronicle pays this guy to do the type of job he does.

It's embarassing. Embrassing.

His blog was a complete waste of his time, my time, and anybody else's time who went to it. And, I shall not read future blogs again. Not after reading Keith, AJ, and others who are running circles around him.

What a joke.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2006, 09:05 AM
I just read McClain's blog and Robertson's article in today's Chronicle. Since they both thought they were being original by invoking the "Mickey" reference for Bob Karmelowicz, I'd like to remind them of my article that appeared on houstontexans.com on May 16, 2006:

To be fair, it is such an apt and instant comparison, I am guessing that it just begs to be made. You can't help but make it.

And because I am bored, here are various Mickey quotes from Rocky, I am offering them because it seems as though Karm and Mickey both are good with a turn of phrase to coach and make their points:

Mickey: Women weaken legs!

Mickey: You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!

Mickey: Your nose is broken.
Rocky: How does it look?
Mickey: Ah, it's an improvement.

Mickey: You know what you are?
Rocky: No, what?
Mickey: A tomato.
Rocky: A tomato?
Mickey: Yeah, and I'm running a business here, not a ******* soup kitchen.

Mickey: Hey Rock. It's three in the morning. I went up to your house there and they told me you was here. It's a 3:00am kid. You know that Adrian, she's a good girl. Me, you know I'm sorry for both of ya. There's nothing I can do about it. Except uh I wanna tell you this once and then uh I ain't gonna say it again. But Rock you got another shot. This is the second shot. At uh I don't know the biggest title in the world, and you're gonna be swappin' punches with, with the most dangerous fighter in the world. And just in case you know your brain ain't workin' so good. All this happens pretty soon and you ain't ready. You know you're no where near in shape. So I say for God's sake. Why don't you stand up and fight this guy HARD? Like you done before that was beautiful! But don't lay down like this! Like uh I don't know like some kind of mongrel or something. Cause he's gonna kick your face in pieces! That's right! This guy doesn't just wanna win you know, he wants to bury ya, he wants to humiliate ya, he wants to prove to the whole world that you was nothin but some kind of freak the first time out. He said you were a one time lucky bum! Well now I don't wanna get mad in a biblical place like this. But I think you're a hell of a lot more than that kid! A hell of a lot! But now wait a minute if you wanna blow this thing if you wanna blow it then damn it I'm gonna blow it with ya. If you wanna stay here I'll stay with ya. I stay with ya. I'll stay and pray. What do I got to lose?

Mickey: Why do you have to wear that stinkin' sweatsuit?
Rocky: It brings me luck, you know?
Mickey: Brings you luck. I'll tell you what it brings - it brings FLIES! Now here's what I want you to do - I want you to chase this little chicken.
Rocky: Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?
Mickey: First, because I said so. And second, is because chicken-chasing is how we used to train back in the old days. If you can catch this thing, you can catch greased lighting.
Rocky: Well, I'll do it if you say so, but it ain't very mature.
Mickey: Yeah, well NEITHER ARE YOU, very mature!

Rocky: [noticing Mickey's hearing aid] What's that in your ear there?
Mickey: What it is, is I hear stupid things better.

Mickey: Left handed fighters they're the worst. They try to come in there with that big left. Right's no damn good. They ought to outlaw southpaws!
Rocky: Why didn't you tell me that before?
Mickey: I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Mickey: [after slapping Rocky in the face with his left hand] Now you didn't even see that comin', did ya? And that's comin' from a broken down punk like me. What... what do ya think the champ would do to ya?
Rocky: Hurt me bad I guess...
Mickey: Na, he'd hurt ya permanent. *Permanent*!

Mickey: The worst thing that happened to you, that can happen to any fighter: you got civilized.