PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak's Training Camp Eve Presser

the wonger need food
07-26-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2670&section=N%20Latest%20News

Some interesting things and a some answers to our questions. Here's what I took from it...

- They are worried about Domanick's knee.
- DeMeco will be starting somewhere. Probably MLB.
- No one has really stepped up as a leader on either side of the ball.
- Babin's put on some size and appears to be the leader for the RDE spot.
- Travis Johnson is still a lazy slob.
- They're still looking for some veteran help (depth) in the secondary.
- He still likes Michael Stone a lot.

the wonger need food
07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
If you don't feel like reading the whole transcript, here's the Reader's Digest version... http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2671&section=N%20Latest%20News

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Good read. Do you get the notion that Demeco may be the face of the franchise for the next 10 years?

Kubiak really likes the guy and it sounds like he has earned the respect and the time to be on the field as a starting LB. Can't wait to see Demeco on the field this pre season.

MightyTExan
07-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Scanning..........

Scanning...........................

I do not see the word "execute" anywhere in his quotes

the wonger need food
07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Do you get the notion that Demeco may be the face of the franchise for the next 10 years?

Without a doubt.

the wonger need food
07-26-2006, 08:37 PM
I do not see the word "execute" anywhere in his quotes

Substitute execute with winning.

TexansSeminole
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Awesome, I didn't know Wong was at the mike for us. I think DeMeco will grab the MLB job even if Cowart is playing 100%.

Brandon420tx
07-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok.... *Sniff*

I started tearing up at the end of the (on how it feels to be head coach) and on the (message to the players) section I could swear I felt one on my cheek. Especially on the part about having meetings, practicing, and playing like winners.

Vinny
07-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Hmmm, Vinny is right once again!

maybe

Brandon420tx
07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Substitute execute with winning.
That was beautiful. Much Rep added to you.

TexanFan881
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Also I was impressed with Taylor as a kick returner during camp. I think that’s an added dimension that he has.”

Our KR savior while Mathis is out? And this should really help his chances of making the team.

Runner
07-26-2006, 09:02 PM

maybe

If you've started referring to yourself in 3rd person, I guess it's time for camp too start, and not a moment too soon! :cool:

powerfuldragon
07-26-2006, 09:13 PM
If you've started referring to yourself in 3rd person, I guess it's time for camp too start, and not a moment too soon! :cool:
I was about to say that.

I was very impressed with Wali Lundy, he did make a couple of plays in camp.
-Kubes

I'll be watching that guy in preseason.

I liked what i heard about DeMeco. I also liked how the focus wasn't on Mario. No need to put any more pressure on the guy.

jerek
07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Good read. Do you get the notion that Demeco may be the face of the franchise for the next 10 years?

Kubiak really likes the guy and it sounds like he has earned the respect and the time to be on the field as a starting LB. Can't wait to see Demeco on the field this pre season.

I second the motion.

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I second the motion.

Jerek, odd to see you in this forum. :)

I kind of feel I have been trapped in solitary, spending time in the NSZ, and finally there is light at the end of the tunnel in the form of training camp.

The virtual air in this thread is mighty fine and may have to stick around awhile. :mario:

mexican_texan
07-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Just what I need...another reason to look forward to September. Can someone tell me something negative? Like scouting reports on possible first overall picks?

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
(on the running back situation) “I think the running back situation will be very interesting. Antowain (Smith) had a good camp. He's been successful in this league. He takes care of his body. There's no reason why he doesn't have some good football ahead of him. I think from a young standpoint, I’m excited to watch these guys compete. I was very impressed with Wali Lundy, he did make a couple of plays in camp. I was very impressed with Chris Taylor. (Vernand) Morency missed a lot of time throughout that month, and he’s going to battle with some good young football players. And of course the young man from Syracuse did some good stuff so I think it’ll be interesting to see who’ll be the other backs on this football team. There will be great competition and we’ll see how that pans out. Also I was impressed with Taylor as a kick returner during camp. I think that’s an added dimension that he has.”

You think he likes this guy? Can any of the members who were at OTA comment? I am sure you noticed and said something before, but...

And for a preemptive strike I did notice the lack of zeal for Vernando.

Porky
07-26-2006, 10:23 PM
You think he likes this guy? Can any of the members who were at OTA comment? I am sure you noticed and said something before, but...

I remember AJ and I think coachc both saying they were impressed with Taylor. Who knows, either he, Lundy, or both could turn out to be at least role players on this team.

Porky
07-26-2006, 10:26 PM

maybe

Sounds like you need to be brought down a notch. Let's see. Lemme reach into my porkorama memory bank. Oh lookee, I think I found something. Hmmm, could Vinny have said these things?

Mike Williams will never be stopped in the red zone.

Larry Fitzgerald is too slow, and can't gain any seperation.

Oh and for the record, your's truly loved Fitz coming out, and was not enamored with Williams. :stirpot:

Texans Pride
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2670

My goal for this team is to have meetings like winners meet, prepare like winners prepare and practice like winners practice. We will go out and turn this football team around and be able at some point and say we’re a winner and become a team that has a chance to win 9, 10, 11, 12 games a year, that’s where we’re headed.

This is my favorite portion of the presser. I like how everything starts with doing what a winner does. The expectations for these guys are high, and I like how they aren't going to be compromised in any manner.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2006, 10:31 PM

Kub never has been high on Morency's technique for his system. That along with the fact that no mention of his injury status (only his missed practice time) makes me believe that his plantar fasciitis is chronic now and Kub has all but given up on trying to "transform" him to fit the system.

Vinny
07-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Kub never has been high on Morency's technique for his system. That along with the fact that no mention of his injury status (only his missed practice time) makes me believe that his plantar fasciitis is chronic now and Kub has all but given up on trying to "transform" him to fit the system.
I think the opposite. I think he see's Morency's great potential and was putting pressure on him publicly. Morency has explosive cutting ability but I think Kubiak wants to see him make his moves in the open field and to break the habit of trying to make something happen the instant he touches the ball. I think Morency could very well end up our lead back if Dom can't get healthy.

aj.
07-26-2006, 10:36 PM

I said this on June 8 but was immediatley accused of 'overspeculating:'

"For those looking for an early sleeper, look no further than Chris Taylor. The 6-0, 224-pound running back out of Indiana is taking full advantage of a nicked up running back corps and made several impressive runs during full-team drills. Taylor has good size and adequate speed and could be one of those guys who really benefits from the Texans’ new system."

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I said this on June 8 but was immediatley accused of 'overspeculating:'

Thanks AJ. Good stuff as usual.

Hardcore Texan
07-26-2006, 10:42 PM
It seems everything I have seen that Kubiak has said about Morency is "he missed a lot of time". I like the Morency pick last year and thought he would be getting more involved with the team, but every single quote I have seen from Kubiak leads me to believe he is not impressed with him at all. I am beginning to worry about him making the team, I hope he does.

I like the way most everything sounded, especially about Demeco. I really hope we have more leaders step up during TC.

One thing I really like about Kubiak is how honest his assesments seem to come across. He is a straight shooter.

southtexan
07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
I think the opposite. I think he see's Morency's great potential and was putting pressure on him publicly. Morency has explosive cutting ability but I think Kubiak wants to see him make his moves in the open field and to break the habit of trying to make something happen the instant he touches the ball. I think Morency could very well end up our lead back if Dom can't get healthy.
Do you think the Kubiac is putting the same kind of pressure on TJ? I remeber Buddy Ryan did put pressure on a lineman as soon as he got to the Oilers, I forgot the guy's name but I think that he used to play for the U of H.

painekiller
07-26-2006, 10:54 PM
First off, Vinny good call on the LBs. As always you are the man.

Also I agree with you about Morency, I think Kubiak is trying to light a fire under him.

Lastly, I think Kubiak is also trying to light the fire under Travis Johnson also. Seems he wants to see him really step up and add to a strong DT rotation. :brickwall

Vinny
07-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Do you think the Kubiac is putting the same kind of pressure on TJ? I remeber Buddy Ryan did put pressure on a lineman as soon as he got to the Oilers, I forgot the guy's name but I think that he used to play for the U of H.
I don't have a good feel for TJ's situation. Craig Veasey was probably the guy you are thinking about, but I don't think he had too big a role in the rotation. Doug Smith was in the middle with Sean Jones, Lee Williams (trade from the Bolts) and William Fuller were our mainstays on the line. We may have had the most talented ends in the NFL back then...as a group.

thanks paine ;)

southtexan
07-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't have a good feel for TJ's situation. Craig Veasey was probably the guy you are thinking about, but I don't think he had too big a role in the rotation. Doug Smith was in the middle with Sean Jones, Lee Williams (trade from the Bolts) and William Fuller were our mainstays on the line. We may have had the most talented ends in the NFL back then...as a group.

thanks paine ;)
Wasn't Veasy, as soon as Buddy arrive he called the player "too short" or something of that nature.

aj.
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
You're probably thinking of Lamar Lathon, the LB.

rockabilly
07-27-2006, 01:11 AM
I have a man crush on Kubiak. I love the honesty in his answers. And when you have honesty, you have confidence. I feel reaaaaaal good about Kubiak in the long term.
:trophy:

Insideop
07-27-2006, 01:14 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2670&section=N%20Latest%20News
- Travis Johnson is still a lazy slob.

Wonger, are you reading between the lines again?lol:

Ibar_Harry
07-27-2006, 03:55 AM
I focused on something totally different in terms of what Kubiak said and I believe its one of the most important concepts in all of football. He said he is going to evaluate what our players do best. We will incorporate that portion of the offense they do well and we must find out what that is as a group of coaches.

Capers was trying to make them do what he thought was best regardless of their capability or the possibility of the play working. Almost everything Kubiak does is the opposite extreme to Capers. If you look closely its amazing how opposite Kubiak is to Capers. Anyway, everything points to a coach who is cognizent of what his players are capable of doing.

In fact I would dare say that might even cause him to pass more than everyone thinks at this time. Certainly we will and have to run the ball, but realisticly our strength may well be with our passing game. We have 2 top WR's and at least one not too far behind. We have some TE's who can do something with the ball. From an experience point of view our Receivers are way ahead of our running game except for Davis.

Kubiak is a football chess player. When you read his presser you see a very organzied man with a vision for every position on the field. He disects it all. I don't think too much is missed by this man. I keep saying I think he may well become the next great NFL coach. He seems to have all of the intangibles.

TwinSisters
07-27-2006, 05:20 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2670

My goal for this team is to have meetings like winners meet, prepare like winners prepare and practice like winners practice. We will go out and turn this football team around and be able at some point and say we’re a winner and become a team that has a chance to win 9, 10, 11, 12 games a year, that’s where we’re headed.

This is my favorite portion of the presser. I like how everything starts with doing what a winner does. The expectations for these guys are high, and I like how they aren't going to be compromised in any manner.

Ah yes, for second there, I thought I was talking to myself.

DeMeco and Kubiak

A few more changes and you are going to be able to say we have a chance to win 19 games a year.

Pearls of the South:

Bill Parcells, on his expectations for the Cowboys in his first season as head coach: "My expectations are greater than the average fan's but, I'm more realistic than the top prognosticators."

Sid Gillman: "Attitude is the whole thing in football. Every team has the talent and the coaching. Motivation makes the difference. The teams that win stay healthy and interested."

touttail
07-27-2006, 06:56 AM
I focused on something totally different in terms of what Kubiak said and I believe its one of the most important concepts in all of football. He said he is going to evaluate what our players do best. We will incorporate that portion of the offense they do well and we must find out what that is as a group of coaches.

Capers was trying to make them do what he thought was best regardless of their capability or the possibility of the play working. Almost everything Kubiak does is the opposite extreme to Capers. If you look closely its amazing how opposite Kubiak is to Capers. Anyway, everything points to a coach who is cognizent of what his players are capable of doing.

In fact I would dare say that might even cause him to pass more than everyone thinks at this time. Certainly we will and have to run the ball, but realisticly our strength may well be with our passing game. We have 2 top WR's and at least one not too far behind. We have some TE's who can do something with the ball. From an experience point of view our Receivers are way ahead of our running game except for Davis.

Kubiak is a football chess player. When you read his presser you see a very organzied man with a vision for every position on the field. He disects it all. I don't think too much is missed by this man. I keep saying I think he may well become the next great NFL coach. He seems to have all of the intangibles.

Ibar I totally agree. I said this about 2/3 times in the past.
"Capers was hired because of his organizational skills, not of his Coaching skills."

Bobby 119C

El Tejano
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
The thing that I really liked about what he said was finding the leaders. In the past alot of us have said that we would even go as far as wanting TO on our team or Ray Lewis because we would have someone who would ignite a fire under our team.

Much of last year was without leadership from coaches or players. I just love the fact that Kubiak has already shown leadership in showing and telling his players that he doesn't want our team to wait to be led but for someone to take the reins. IMO, this is how you get players to play for each other and when they play for each other they play together and that always brings success.

AFD1717
07-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Doug Smith was in the middle with Sean Jones, Lee Williams (trade from the Bolts) and William Fuller were our mainstays on the line. We may have had the most talented ends in the NFL back then...as a group.

We really clobbered big city prices.

Vinny
07-27-2006, 07:53 PM
We really clobbered big city prices.We sure did have a ton of talent on that team. Any time you forget Ray Childress your team is loaded.