PDA

View Full Version : # 1 reciever ?

real
07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Just to take a break from the D.Carr talk....I would like to now throw Andre Johnson under the Bus...I know this guy is a beast and he is "The" reciever of our future, but We have recently added another reciever name Eric Moulds...Now, I hear everyone saying that he is capable of being a number one reciever for many teams in the leauge...Well What about this team?? He DID have a better year than Andre last year...and he IS a veteran with pro-bowl experience....Not that it will matter much, because they will probably be on the field together a lot...but just for arguments sake..Do any of you think that Eric Moulds should be/ could be our number one reciever ???

The Preacher
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
I said AJ but the best of all worlds is they both are. They aren't quite Fitz/Bolden but Moulds could show everybody what people never saw because he played in Buffalo if DC gets time. Hopefully they combine for 170 catches and 15 TD's. It really doesn't matter to me who gets the majority as long as the production is there.

South Texan
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them neck and neck at the end of the season for total yardage. Which ever one the other team disrespects by putting in single coverage will probably burn them. If there is an edge, I think AJ may have it as being a little better runner after the catch but as a tandem I think these two guys could easily be among the very best in the NFL this year, if the QB (no names here, don't want to start one of THOSE threads) can get a little time in the pocket. If they do both pull double or triple coverage, I suspect our TEs will have huge years. When they have to respect your long game, it open's up your short game and vice versa.

Hopefully our one dimensional run, run, sack, punt is a thing of the past.

Rosewood
07-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Johnson is far....Moulds is a great receiver but Johnson is the head of household here in Houston...the duo will be in the top five in everything....im looking forward to seeing the two on the field together......

hollywood_texan
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
It seems apparent that most league scouts believe Moulds is on the decline.

If not, then we got a steal. Which would be nice for once!

Moulds came way too cheap to be a legit #1 receiver.

El Tejano
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
The reason why we say EMo is a #2 here and #1 elsewhere is A) he said so himself, B) because the other teams that needed Eric Moulds didn't have a legit #1 receiver like we have.

I am just glad that AJ finally gets a TC with a veteran WR that plays at or above the Pro Bowl level. This is going to pay off big time for us because AJ finally gets some real tricks of the trade to learn. Everything else he did before was based on athleticism.

Ibar_Harry
07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Its kind of funny, because I don't think Moulds cares about who is number 1 or number 2. What really matters is winning and that's all he thinks about. In reality, Moulds is probably the real number 1 receiver and AJ is the future number 1 receiver. AJ posses a lot of skill, but he does not match Moulds ability to execute the position. Do not under estimate Moulds hands vs AJ. Moulds will out move(run routes) and out catch AJ at this point in time. There is simply no comparison.

AJ is going to run over more people, get down the field faster, but Moulds is the one they will be scared of to begin with. That's exactly why he was brought here. Carr also knows if the ball is anywhere near Moulds he's going to be fighting for it. AJ doesn't as yet have that ability.

No, I'm not down on AJ, I simply find it hard to believe that people can look at a 3 time all pro who has a lot left in the tank and classify him as a number 2 receiver. He has a very much larger skill set than AJ. Again, he wants to transfer that knowledge to AJ and that's what is great about this situation. AJ has suffered as much as anyone under the previous coaching regime. He has not developed into what he should be. No different than the Carr scenario.

Quite frankly, these two could become one of the scarest combo's in the NFL. They could become the shock and awe of the NFL.

whiskeyrbl
07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
It would be a dumb move to make Moulds the #1 after having AJ as our #1 and Moulds coming in knowing he is #2,think changing that would make unneccesary friction.

real
07-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Ibar...Good post...I agree with you about Moulds "executing" at the position more...I think A.J is the more talented player...and has more big play potential...But if it were crunch time I'd want the Vet in the game...

Hutch13
07-25-2006, 02:58 PM
i think it should be AJ the guy is a playmaker and can change a whole game.

real
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
It would be a dumb move to make Moulds the #1 after having AJ as our #1 and Moulds coming in knowing he is #2,think changing that would make unneccesary friction.

This is a message board where we discuss different things...some of which have no bearing as to what is actually happening within the confines of the team...relax...i don't think coach Kubes heard you...But I do respect your opinion...And I think that we have a situation SIMILAR to the Randy Moss/ Chris Carter situation....The only reason I asked the question is because truthfully Moulds had the better season last year, and everyone is always complaining about Carr...Well I am complaining about A.J and his less than stellar season...

HOU-TEX
07-25-2006, 03:02 PM

Truthfully, I don't think they even worry about who's #1 or #2. I think they're just chomping at the bit to get on the field. I don't really care who's what either, I just want them to kick some arse! They're both pretty darn big for WRs and I feel sorry for the DBs they line up against this year.:yahoo:

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
The #1 receiver will be whichever one the opponent of the week is trying to double/triple and the #2 receiver will be the one taking advantage of that.

:superman:

El Tejano
07-25-2006, 03:24 PM
The #1 receiver will be whichever one the opponent of the week is trying to double/triple and the #2 receiver will be the one taking advantage of that.

:superman:
Agreed. That should be a new man law.

edo783
07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
IMO, I am not sure either is a number 1. Molds was and is now in decline and AJ has yet to prove he can consistantly do it and get open. He has had a real problem with concentration. He has had one real good year, one fairly good year and an injury year. He has real potential (there is that word) and most likely will be a very good to possible great WR, but at this point the coin is in the air IMO. Lots of things have worked against him being the WR that I and most think he can be (scheme, time to throw etc) and some of that will likely be dealt with this year and next, so that we will see him reach his potential.

MorKnolle
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't think there will be much of a distinction in our offense, both will start the game, both will be on the field the vast majority of our offensive plays, etc. I think if it comes down to making a clutch reception I would probably look to AJ first unless he is still drawing significantly more attention than Moulds.

real
08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
(BUMP)...........Just for You Kyss....

Double Barrel
08-22-2006, 05:57 PM
I honestly don't think AJ has been given a fair shot to live up to his true potential on this team.

We've had a QB who has been unable to make plays for a variety of reasons, and our offense has had no consistency in the three years AJ has been playing. We seemed like it could have come together in 2004, but the wheels fell off the next season.

But I think AJ would be considered a top 5 WR in the NFL if he had been drafted by an established team. The no. 1 spot is his job to lose, IMO.

thunderkyss
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Just to take a break from the D.Carr talk....I would like to now throw Andre Johnson under the Bus...I know this guy is a beast and he is "The" reciever of our future, but We have recently added another reciever name Eric Moulds...Now, I hear everyone saying that he is capable of being a number one reciever for many teams in the leauge...Well What about this team?? He DID have a better year than Andre last year...and he IS a veteran with pro-bowl experience....Not that it will matter much, because they will probably be on the field together a lot...but just for arguments sake..Do any of you think that Eric Moulds should be/ could be our number one reciever ???

first, what is the basis of saying that Moulds had a better year than AJ?? Just asking.... Yards per game, they're about even...... YPC...... about the same.

Then they are both Vets....... and they are both ProBowlers.....

AJ has been here longer....... he wears the number 80....... Moulds respects AJ..... I don't know...... I think AJ is the default #1...... but I think we have two #1s......

cuppacoffee
08-22-2006, 11:33 PM
AJ posses a lot of skill, but he does not match Moulds ability to execute the position. Do not under estimate Moulds hands vs AJ. Moulds will out move(run routes) and out catch AJ at this point in time. There is simply no comparison.........

and

Carr also knows if the ball is anywhere near Moulds he's going to be fighting for it. AJ doesn't as yet have that ability.

and

AJ has suffered as much as anyone under the previous coaching regime. He has not developed into what he should be. No different than the Carr scenario.

My thoughts exactly...:ok:

:coffee:

cuppacoffee
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
first, what is the basis of saying that Moulds had a better year than AJ?? Just asking.... Yards per game, they're about even...... YPC...... about the same.

AJ has been here longer....... he wears the number 80....... Moulds respects AJ..... I don't know...... I think AJ is the default #1...... but I think we have two #1s......

Happy now? ;)... You got the thread you requested.:D

:coffee:

real
08-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Player Team...... G .......Rec ..Yds ..Yds/G ..Lng ..Avg ..TDs 20+ 40+
Andre Johnson .....13 .......63 ...688 ..52.9 ....53 ....10.9 ..2 ...4 ...1
Eric Moulds .........15 .......81 ...816 ..54.4 .....55 ...10.1 ..4 ....5 ...1

This is my basis...Now I'm not saying that Andre should not be our number one...But like I said since this is our teams message board every position is up for discussion, and Moulds beat out AJ in every category last year except avg yards/catch...And it's not like Moulds came from a powerhouse offense himself...I think with his veteran leadership in some cases where we use one wide reciever sets, he may be more valuable to have on the field...And you are right there isn't much difference, but AJ is in the "prime" of his career and he should be performing better than he has...

real
08-23-2006, 04:32 PM
bump

tulexan
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Does it matter who is technically the #1 receiver? We aren't going to have many 1 WR formations on the field, which means that both will probably be on the field at the same time every game (assuming both stay healthy).

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I agree it does not matter unless you have a gap in talent, which i do not think there is.

This receiving corp reminds me of the Rams when they went to the superbowl and won it all with Bruce and Holt as the #1 and #2 but they both carried the team as WRs as much as the other.

thunderkyss
08-23-2006, 06:15 PM
NO it doesn't matter........ but this is what we do. Argue over things that don't matter............

duh...

tsip
08-23-2006, 06:46 PM
What are you basing this on? Practice? AJ got ZERO balls in game 1, Moulds ZERO in game 2--7 passes combined for 61 yds, with 11 yds the longest for both!

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2006, 07:50 PM
NO it doesn't matter........ but this is what we do. Argue over things that don't matter............

duh...

No we don't.

edo783
08-23-2006, 09:00 PM
No we don't.

Yes we do!

Mysteryhunt
08-23-2006, 09:02 PM
holt and bruce anyone? ;)

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes we do!

Oh, no we don't!!!

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes We Do!!!

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Andre all way, just hope and pray he stays healthy this season, so he can have a stellar year, and another trip to the pro-bowl.....:francis:

real
08-24-2006, 02:20 PM
YOU ALL ARE ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY RIGHT !!! It doesn't mean anything...So I guess thats the last time I'll hear anything about why we only talk about Carr and why don't we talk about any of the other position battles going on...Because none of them matter as much....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!# ^@#&%*%*@#$^&

thunderkyss
08-24-2006, 03:13 PM
YOU ALL ARE ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY RIGHT !!! It doesn't mean anything...So I guess thats the last time I'll hear anything about why we only talk about Carr and why don't we talk about any of the other position battles going on...Because none of them matter as much....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!# ^@#&%*%*@#$^&

Your sooooo sneaky

Meloy
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
We have two guys who could be our # 1 receiver. I'm just glad this is the first season we could say that. AND maybe fewer sacks and probably 1500yds on ground AND three monster sackers (Mario, Orr and Peek) AND (yes, I said it) a good year by DC. Whooeee! I'm pumped.

real
08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Your sooooo sneaky

I try...:fireball:

real
08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
We have two guys who could be our # 1 receiver. I'm just glad this is the first season we could say that. AND maybe fewer sacks and probably 1500yds on ground AND three monster sackers (Mario, Orr and Peek) AND (yes, I said it) a good year by DC. Whooeee! I'm pumped.

Speaking of Orr....Is he the invisible man or what...

thunderkyss
08-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Speaking of Orr....Is he the invisible man or what...

Orr is doing what's expected...... no reason to talk about him.