PDA

View Full Version : Suprising stat from the Texans

Wolf
07-25-2006, 02:13 AM
what stinks is we don't have a back that rushes for 100 very much. surpising is everyone praises our running game yet after 4 years 6 games only of over 100 yards

when we have a back that rushes for 100 yards we are

10/19/03 davis rushes for 129 yards we lose to the Jets(loss)
10/26/03 davis rushes for 109-yard against the Colts(loss)
11/27/03 davis rushes for 101 against the falcons (win)
10/3/04 Wells rushes for 105 against Oakland (win)
11/25/04 davis rushes for 129 against titans (win)
12/24/04 davis rushes for 150 yards against the jags (win)

4-2 after 4 years..

TK_Gamer
07-25-2006, 02:25 AM
what stinks is we don't have a back that rushes for 100 very much. surpising is everyone praises our running game yet after 4 years 6 games only of over 100 yards

4-2 after 4 years..

keep in mind, we played a stalling dont lose offense during that time. I look for our offense to be 350 ish this year, but dont look for many 100 yard single performances. RB snaps will be spread out more this year. im guessing 2500 yds rushing between 3 backs.

aj.
07-25-2006, 07:53 AM

Not being on a NFL roster days before training camps begin is not a good sign. I wonder if the attitude came back, or if he's in trouble, or there's an injury we don't know about.. surely his agent couldn't be playing a stupid game and still "looking for the best opportunity." Wells wasn't all that great but he could be a servicable backup/special teamer in the NFL.

He's only 27 years old and he didn't make that much money in his four years in the league - so I hope he has a good backup plan. He may end up falling into the category of the "average NFL player" whose career lasts 3.75 years followed by a fade to black.

D-Vizzl
07-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Not being on a NFL roster days before training camps begin is not a good sign. I wonder if the attitude came back, or if he's in trouble, or there's an injury we don't know about.. surely his agent couldn't be playing a stupid game and still "looking for the best opportunity." Wells wasn't all that great but he could be a servicable backup/special teamer in the NFL.

He's only 27 years old and he didn't make that much money in his four years in the league - so I hope he has a good backup plan. He may end up falling into the category of the "average NFL player" whose career lasts 3.75 years followed by a fade to black.

I hope they take a look at him though, even big Ron Dayne made a diff. last year. The team who can use a big pounder most would be Pittsburgh and I think that could happen.

goodnews boy
07-25-2006, 08:19 AM
I hope they take a look at him though, even big Ron Dayne made a diff. last year. The team who can use a big pounder most would be Pittsburgh and I think that could happen.

Yes, but he didn't pound the rock like a big back.

AFD1717
07-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Part of the reason we have such a good record when we have a 100 yard back is because it meant we weren't losing in the 4th quarter and having to throw the ball to catch up.

It's a chicken/egg thing.

aj.
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
I wasn't implying the Texans should look at Wells - quite the opposite - he's a big straight ahead runner with marginal blocking/receiving skills who doesn't fit in our scheme - and apparently a lot of other team's schemes.

Hutch13
07-25-2006, 08:40 AM

Congrats on 3,000 posts. I dont see whats so suprising on this stat, we dont have the greatest O-Line to make the holes. This also means that we arent passing the ball late in the games and getting sacked all the time.

Texans Horror
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM

4-2 after 4 years..

Ah, 2004. How I miss that 7-9 season. Houston actually had a winning record at one point in the season...

But to my point. 100-yard games control the clock, which is something Houston did not do last year. He who controls the spice, err...clock...controls the game.

I am hesitant with the Houston defense this year, so I am hoping that the Texans offense will offensively control the clock and give the defense some rest. I know, I know - "that's not the Texans" you're saying, but it is something they will have to do this year in order to win.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2006, 10:38 AM
I wasn't implying the Texans should look at Wells - quite the opposite - he's a big straight ahead runner with marginal blocking/receiving skills who doesn't fit in our scheme - and apparently a lot of other team's schemes.

I agree. I always thought he hit the hole too high. It almost seemed like he was straight up. He didn't have the put a helmet/shoulder pad in the gut type running style.

Vinny
07-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I dont see whats so suprising on this stat, we dont have the greatest O-Line to make the holes. This also means that we arent passing the ball late in the games and getting sacked all the time.actually pass blocking skills are different than run blocking skills...and our line has been decent to good run blockers but poor pass blockers. Teams with leads tend to run the ball, so running stats can be deceptive as with most football stats if taken by itself.

I'm not shocked Wells is still out there myself. I was never impressed with his running abilities.

Hervoyel
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I think his (Wells) last chance to get on a roster is when the injuries start to pile up around the league. He'll then have a shot at coming on as depth somewhere. I liked him but I can't deny his shortcomings. He just never ran like a guy who weighed what he weighed. On one or two occaisions I saw him put his head down and run with authority. I don't know what was different on those days/plays but he didn't seem to grasp the concept that this was what he was supposed to be doing every down.

In order to be thought of as an option for an injured player Wells is going to have to stay in shape and wait for his phone to ring. He'd better stay in shape.

hollywood_texan
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Ah, 2004. How I miss that 7-9 season. Houston actually had a winning record at one point in the season...

Yeah, at 4-3 and then down hill from there in 2004. It's too bad we couldn't play Tennesse 16 times that year.

Banging on the running game, I can't believe it.

Well, think about this. David Carr has only thrown for 300+ yards about 4 times and thrown for 3TDs about 3 times in about 4 years worth of starts. He couldn't even get big stats in the garbage time.

srstex
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Love those ain'ts, ain't in the playoffs, ain't in their own city, ain't in training camp. You can't win if don't sign.

Double Barrel
07-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Hopefully we'll have an offense that can score somewhat consistently so we can put good leads up and rely on our ground game to control the clock. Our inability to drive down the field always meant we never had a safe lead and could not rely on our offense to come from behind.

I think we'll have a balanced offense under Coach Kubiak, but it will be heavily dependent on the running game. Establish a consistent ability to pound the ball so defenses have to respect it and play it accordingly. Then our receivers are left in man coverage and Carr can pick his passes behind decent protection.

But we should see more 100+ yard rushing game, as long as we have a RB that stays healthy.

In theory anyways....

aj.
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Nice stats. now i see why y'all didn,t see a need to take VY or RB looks like you're set at those positions..:confused:

Just remember when you point your finger, there's three pointing back at ya.

rafterticket
07-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Nice stats. now i see why y'all didn,t see a need to take VY or RB looks like you're set at those positions..:confused:

Broussard, my old pal. Still writing silly posts from the road to nowhere?

Hey, I never answered your question! You know who is NOT drunk or otherwise impaired? Reggie Bush and his agent!

He knows if he's going to be the next George Rogers, he better get the bank up front.

El Tejano
07-25-2006, 03:17 PM

Please place Reggie Bush training camp progress here:

NoBullTexan
07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey OSO! Not to sweat, you are soon to see at least an 8-8 season this very year. We will have the passing attack to bolster our already good run game. The defense could be scary. The only thing holding us back from an even better season is the unknown (as of now) injury bug.

NoBullTexan
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
How can any Saints fan be so stupid as to come on our site and make snide remarks about running games, when his own team is the one that doesn't have an offensive line, and right now no Reggie Bush. I don't see much for you to be so smug about chum~ And when have you last been in the playoffs?

MorKnolle
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM

4-2 after 4 years..

Davis had three more 100 yard games this year (130 and 139 against the Titans and 155 against the Ravens), all three of which we lost.
He also had four games in 04 (129 vs. Titans, 128 vs. Indy, 158 vs. Jacksonville, and 103 vs. Cleveland), we were 2-2 in those games.
He also had four games in 03 (129 vs. Jets, 109 vs. Indy, 104 vs. Cincinnati, and 101 vs. Atlanta), we were 1-3 in those games.

All told we are 4-8 in games where we had a 100+ yard rusher.

ocd
07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Initially, that stat might feak you out. But keep in mind that none of the stats mean JACK to us. Capers football is entirely different from what we're about to see this year alone.

Give us two years with this new system and a run game will mean wins, not losses.

TexansSeminole
07-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Good stats, but with a new system and new players constantly coming in, its going to be a different era for the Texans.

South Texan
07-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Please place Reggie Bush training camp progress here:

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TwinSisters
07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Part of the reason we have such a good record when we have a 100 yard back is because it meant we weren't losing in the 4th quarter and having to throw the ball to catch up.

It's a chicken/egg thing.

Of which we couldn't do. ( throw the ball to catch up )

And No Hollywood you are wrong... He hasn't thrown for more then THREE 300 yard games in four losing seasons.

Three not four. Because if he had thrown for four he would have done something. Like Favre that could throw for four 300+ yard games in ONE 4-12 season with a third string RB, and three missing offensive linemen ( no guards, and center that was always hurt )

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20051225_CHI@GB

Toughest defense in the league or one of them. Favre throws 300+ yards in a losing effort without even his 3rd string Running back.

( Flanagan was healthy enough to start in this one though )

Got picked a couple times...but he was making an attempt.

Bobo
07-25-2006, 11:34 PM

4-2 after 4 years..

So what's so magic about 100 yards? That's nothing but a media myth. A RB can end up with close to 1500 yards on the ground for the entire season and never have one game of more than 90 yards.

Bobo
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Good stats, but with a new system and new players constantly coming in, its going to be a different era for the Texans.

Different, yes. Better -- maybe not.