PDA

View Full Version : Today's Moves

Capster67
07-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I see on the transactions piece of our website that Jammal Lord & Nick Luchey were released and Eric Winston & Charles Spencer officially signed. I was a little surprised to see Lord go. Thoughts?

Meloy
07-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I see on the transactions piece of our website that Jammal Lord & Nick Luchey were released and Eric Winston & Charles Spencer officially signed. I was a little surprised to see Lord go. Thoughts?
Caught me by surprise. I liked Lord. Hope he catches on somewhere.

wags
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
No surprise really. Lord didn't have any real experience at safety and was longer than a longshot to ever contribute.

Vinny
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm not shocked at all to see Lord go. He didn't look like he had a clue when he did get his tidbit of playing time last preseason.

GP
07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....kinda' strange to see Lord released.

Anybody got an idea of why he was released?

One of those Casserly "reaches"?

AfricanCracker
07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
jamaal lord was a project that wasnt working out... good to see him go to make room for 2 respectable o-lineman...

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 03:02 PM
What about Luchey? Did he even have a chance to prove anything?:confused:

chuckm
07-24-2006, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't sweat it ..... he has his memories of Jessica to keep him warm ....

Vinny
07-24-2006, 03:03 PM
perhaps he ate his way off the team.

Yankee_In_TX
07-24-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm not shocked at all to see Lord go. He didn't look like he had a clue when he did get his tidbit of playing time last preseason.

We followed him because Lil_Red was a fan from his Nebraska days. Every year we were shokced to find him on the roster again. Just not a contributor, for whatever reason.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't sweat it ..... he has his memories of Jessica to keep him warm ....

Alrightythen:ok: I wish I had Jessica to..... Whoops, what were we talking about now?:shades:

Seriously though, Is Cook our only option at FB? Or am I missing someone?

TexansSeminole
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
We followed him because Lil_Red was a fan from his Nebraska days. Every year we were shokced to find him on the roster again. Just not a contributor, for whatever reason.

Because he played QB in college. College QB to NFL Safety? No much of a chance there.

Brandon420tx
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Alrightythen:ok: I wish I had Jessica to..... Whoops, what were we talking about now?:shades:

Seriously though, Is Cook our only option at FB? Or am I missing someone?
Cook and Hill

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
perhaps he ate his way off the team.

True, he was kind of looking like a sloth. Whoelse do we have besides Cook?

Vinny
07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
True, he was kind of looking like a sloth. Whoelse do we have besides Cook?
I think we are still looking for our short yardage/goal line back.

BamaTexan
07-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Don't forget Hape. He will start camp practicing at FB...

the wonger need food
07-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Cook and Hill

Hill was cut last month.

The Tight Ends play Fullback or HBack in quite a few formations, so the traditional FB type of player is not really used.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Hill was cut last month.

The Tight Ends play Fullback or HBack in quite a few formations, so the traditional FB type of player is not really used.

Does anybody know why we cut Norris? I always thought he wasn't utilized enough.

chuckm
07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Does anybody know why we cut Norris? I always thought he wasn't utilized enough.

not a fit for Kubiak's system, I think

the wonger need food
07-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Hands of stone. Probably other reasons also, but he is mainly straight ahead blocking Fullback.

Brandon420tx
07-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Hill was cut last month.

Must have been when I was working in no computer land. We could always put Owen Daniels back there.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
not a fit for Kubiak's system, I think

I would think a FB is a FB. I don't think there has to be a wide range of talent at that position. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's basically blocking and maybe once in a while a short pass/screen.

the wonger need food
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I would think a FB is a FB. I don't think there has to be a wide range of talent at that position. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's basically blocking and maybe once in a while a short pass/screen.

Oh no. Fullbacks in the WCO need to be a lot more athletic and have good hands. Look at how many passes Denver's Fullbacks have thrown to them to get an idea.

chuckm
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM

no in general you're right but as a previous poster stated his hands are suspect

BamaTexan
07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
H-back's rule the day at the Fullback spot in this offensive system. Cook might be the only "true" fullback to see time at his position. 2-3 TE's on the squad will get looks at FB.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh no. Fullbacks in the WCO need to be a lot more athletic and have good hands. Look at how many passes Denver's Fullbacks have thrown to them to get an idea.

Good deal. Since I haven't really heard much about him, does Cook fit the bill? Or will he be more of the blocking type FB? I guess one of the TEs would fill in in a passing situation?

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I think we are still looking for our short yardage/goal line back.

As a senior in high school, Mario was used a a running back because all of those at that position were injured. He rushed for 3 touchdowns, chalking up 590 yards on 58 carries. May seem a little out there, but then again maybe not.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
As a senior in high school, Mario was used a a running back because all of those at that position were injured. He rushed for 3 touchdowns, chalking up 590 yards on 58 carries. May seem a little out there, but then again maybe not.

Good Gawd, could you imagine squaring up in a hole just to see Mario barreling down on you at full speed.:crying:

HomeBred_Texan
07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Well as long as Spencer and Winston were signed, now time for them to get to work. I hope they become what everyone thinks they should be. God knows we need em...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2528325

the wonger need food
07-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Good deal. Since I haven't really heard much about him, does Cook fit the bill? Or will he be more of the blocking type FB? I guess one of the TEs would fill in in a passing situation?

I've never seen Cook play so I couldn't really elaborate on his skill sets other than what the stats show. According to those, he's a much better pass catcher than Norris. I would imagine that we'll see a lot of 2 TE formations this season... and not just for pass blocking purposes.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
I've never seen Cook play so I couldn't really elaborate on his skill sets other than what the stats show. According to those, he's a much better pass catcher than Norris. I would imagine that we'll see a lot of 2 TE formations this season... and not just for pass blocking purposes.

It's going to be nice to actually see Our TEs make some catches this year. I'm assuming our line will be improved enough to do so. :ok:

AFD1717
07-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Wasn't Tom Rathman the FB for Bill Walsh's teams when this offense was just getting started? That guy could do everything - block, catch, and drive the bus.

NoBullTexan
07-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Wait a minute. what about Winston? The original thread said Spencer and Winston, our 2 rookie OTs, had signed. I was aware of Spencer, but not Winston. Anybody have anything else on this, or is it B.S.?

According to Ourlads depth chart, the rookie, Dominick Rhodes is listed at FB. If we keep 5 RBs, it would be double D, Antowain Smith, and the rookie Lundy. The FBs would be Cook and Rhodes, I guess.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
H-back's rule the day at the Fullback spot in this offensive system. Cook might be the only "true" fullback to see time at his position. 2-3 TE's on the squad will get looks at FB.

Parcells has stated the Girls may not carry a FB.......only TE's. If I'm not mistaken, at least at this time, the Girls are without a true FB. The ultimate is to carry big, quick blocking TE's (doubling as a H-back/FB) with good hands to free up a space or two on the roster.........though certainly not that easy to find.
:hmmm:

the wonger need food
07-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Wasn't Tom Rathman the FB for Bill Walsh's teams when this offense was just getting started? That guy could do everything - block, catch, and drive the bus.

Rathman was amazing. There will never be another FB like that guy. Alstott had some good years, but he wasn't on the same level IMO.

Vinny
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Parcells has stated the Girls may not carry a FB.......only TE's. If I'm not mistaken, at least at this time, the Girls are without a true FB. The ultimate is to carry big, quick blocking TE's (doubling as a H-back/FB) with good hands to free up a space or two on the roster.........though certainly not that easy to find.
:hmmm:
I believe the Cowboys primary set will be the Ace formation that features no weak side (until you use motion and overload a side). The extra TE will force the defense more to a run set then you play-action off of it. It is a great formation for QB's that can't move (Bledsoe - Manning) as you have two blockers that can sprint out and catch a dump pass. The Colts run a ton of it as they have been stocked with two good TE's for years. I look for Owen Daniels to get many looks at our H-back/FB slot and used in motion quite a bit. If he can block he may be our Chris Cooley. I think Cook will probably be the only true FB we keep. imo, this is the easiest position to fill in a pinch.

TwinSisters
07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I was looking at Gruden and Alstott compared to Walsh and found this little article from Steve Young and Gruden debate.

It's pretty neat

"Those things were kind of the linchpins," Walsh said. "We demanded that everyone be a good receiver and that everyone have great discipline. I think those are still the foundations of the offense."

the rest of it here
http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/history.html#
---

On the Ace being run in Dallas:
WOOT the Bum returns!!! 3-4 and the Ace

If they do somehow manage to make it into the Super Bowl against the Steelers with that kinda thinking... O man. That is going to be one HELL of a game 5 to 5

This offense did hit one bump in the road on its way to Super Bowl XL, though, and that came in Week 7 against the Dallas Cowboys' 3-4 defense. Seattle trailed 10-3 in that game until scoring twice in the final two minutes to pull out a 13-10 victory. As luck would have it, the Seahawks' Super Bowl opponent also runs an effective 3-4 defense, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are firing on all cylinders as well.

free part of insider
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/insider/columns/story?columnist=spielman_rick&id=2315043&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fplayoffs05%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumn ist%3dspielman_rick%26id%3d2315043

TwinSisters
07-25-2006, 01:16 AM
Because he played QB in college. College QB to NFL Safety? No much of a chance there.

Ah! John Lynch was a QB at Stanford that switched to safety. I just saw that a few minutes ago... I would not have guessed it either, but I am thinking he was not alone. Moon was a QB that some people thought should be a safety in the NFL.

TexansSeminole
07-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Ah! John Lynch was a QB at Stanford that switched to safety. I just saw that few minutes ago... I would not have guessed it either, but I am thinking he was not alone. Moon was a QB that some people thought should be a safety in the NFL.

Wow, I didn't know that. It takes a special guy. Our safety in high school was the best QB on our team.

swtbound07
07-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Jamel Cook was underutilized in tampa IMO...with mike alstott typically in the backfield, he didn't get near enough opportunity to showcase his talent.