PDA

View Full Version : McClain blog

TexanSam
07-24-2006, 01:06 AM
His blog has been updated (I dunno if he had one before). Here's what I like to hear..

Smith is a bundle of energy. He's always in danger of losing his voice because he screams so much. He's naturally aggressive. So far, he's listening to his coaches and players to get their ideas. I expect Smith will blitz a lot unless he gets a ferocious pass rush from the front four.

There's some other stuff regarding Kubiak and Troy Calhoun on there. Football season is almost upon us!

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/07/this_the_best_time_of_the_year.html

swtbound07
07-24-2006, 01:09 AM
where is his blog exactly?

TexanSam
07-24-2006, 01:12 AM
where is his blog exactly?

My bad. I posted the link now.

swtbound07
07-24-2006, 01:16 AM
My bad. I posted the link now.

thanks...i wasn't meaning it in a bad way...i was just genuinely curious.

Koolaid Time
07-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Richard Smith was the creator of the "House of Pain" Special Teams of the Oilers back when he was coaching here with Glanville

thegr8fan
07-24-2006, 01:25 AM
what a waste of cyber space. there is more info in that blog on Denver, Shanahan, and opinions of Calhoun from everyone OTHER than McLame.

nice fluff piece full of totally useless name dropping BS.

do we really need, or care, to know the name of McNairs personal assistant, Becky Virtue? does he think slipping her name in an article would get him through the door to McNair or something?

How about some meat McLame. What is Calhouns history that would lead one to believe he can actually be an OC?

Jon Gruden?? How in the heck is HE relevant to the Texans?

nice name dropping fluff piece of no actual value or merit at all.

typical McLame article actually.

cj5776
07-24-2006, 01:41 AM
I still have not stopped laughing from my favorite McLame moment.. with Mathis being hurt the Texans might be wishing they could redo thier top draft selection, Super Mario is just going to get double teamed all year...

How does the guy keep his job. That is probably why he takes 2 month vacations. If he didn't he would be playing golf all day with last years Texans assistant coaches.

Texans_Chick
07-24-2006, 08:32 AM
what a waste of cyber space. there is more info in that blog on Denver, Shanahan, and opinions of Calhoun from everyone OTHER than McLame.

nice fluff piece full of totally useless name dropping BS.

do we really need, or care, to know the name of McNairs personal assistant, Becky Virtue? does he think slipping her name in an article would get him through the door to McNair or something?

How about some meat McLame. What is Calhouns history that would lead one to believe he can actually be an OC?

Jon Gruden?? How in the heck is HE relevant to the Texans?

nice name dropping fluff piece of no actual value or merit at all.

typical McLame article actually.

It wasn't terrible. I mean, it was not likely to be information that you don't already know, but it is nice to confirm those things. And it will be interesting to see what comes from the video.

Heck, I'd encourage y'all to leave him favorable comments about having an article that is Texans specific, especially you out of towners who don't get much Texans sports radio talk. Otherwise, his "NFL Blog" is likely to start concentrating on other teams.

If you have questions about aspects of the Texans, be sure to leave them in the comments. He does have access to a bunch of the team, and it will give him stuff that he can write future blog posts about. Seriously. You might not like everything he writes, but why not try to get more information about Texans stuff you are interested in? The worst that happens is that it doesn't get answered.

The more interest that is shown about the Texans, the more coverage they will get. That's how it goes.

SESupergenius
07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
It was beyond terrible, it was pathetic. No coverage of rookies at camp yet?
No "insight" or quotes from players.

Let me get this straight, we are supposed to support this guy and his raunchy writings, that way we get to see more of his pathetic coverage of the Texans??? I'm thinking you might want to take a course or two in basic economics.

chuckm
07-24-2006, 09:04 AM
He's on 610 now ....... supposedly spent yesterday with Young in Nashville at some function ..... no Texans talk yet but I'm holding out hope .....

Runner
07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
He's on 610 now ....... supposedly spent yesterday with Young in Nashville at some function ..... no Texans talk yet but I'm holding out hope .....

I was going to listen, but when he started off with a local swimming competition, I switched channels.

Texans_Chick
07-24-2006, 09:12 AM
It was beyond terrible, it was pathetic. No coverage of rookies at camp yet?
No "insight" or quotes from players.

Let me get this straight, we are supposed to support this guy and his raunchy writings, that way we get to see more of his pathetic coverage of the Texans??? I'm thinking you might want to take a course or two in basic economics.

It is not supporting the guy to ask questions.

But if you want more of a particular type of coverage in the paper, ask. If you were unhappy with the draft preview because it didn't have enough information about rookies, say something.

I would suggest saying those things in a way that is polite and reasoned because that is the best way to try to get things to change in the world.

YRMV

edo783
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
If y'all want to see what a local sports writer is SUPPOSED to be like, check out Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post. Talk about a night and day difference. He isn't a homer, calls it like he sees it and talks (has a radio show in the morning) and writes about all Denver sports constantly and very much about anything Broncos. If only McLame would do that.

nunusguy
07-24-2006, 09:34 AM
C'mon there Hollywood, tell us something we don't know.
McClain as usual is regurgitating old news about the NFL that was in the papers last week or even last month as he rambles along on SR 610 this morning.

Kaiser Toro
07-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Having lived in many cities in my life I have never seen this lousy of coverage for a local NFL team. John McClain is an awful writer in my opinion and provides no value to this market.

Since I do not buy the Chronicle, as I do not live in Houston, I have no need to complain to the staff as I am apathetic to his writing. The Chronic should know that apathy does not move product. He is more fan than a football guy, and he is an awful fan for the local team. I would take informed homer anyday over uninformed turncoat.

SESupergenius
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
It is not supporting the guy to ask questions.

But if you want more of a particular type of coverage in the paper, ask. If you were unhappy with the draft preview because it didn't have enough information about rookies, say something.

I would suggest saying those things in a way that is polite and reasoned because that is the best way to try to get things to change in the world.

YRMV
So now I have to tell him how to do his job by saying something?? I have to tell him what to write about???? OMG!

Sure I'll do it, just send his payroll check right on over and I'll get that first thing.

Texans_Chick
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
So now I have to tell him how to do his job by saying something?? I have to tell him what to write about???? OMG!

Sure I'll do it, just send his payroll check right on over and I'll get that first thing.

It was just an idea.

Personally, I hate grumbling about things without trying to do about things. It's pointless (and sometimes counterproductive). There is limited stuff you can do as just a fan and I find that frustrating. I do believe that individuals, when working together can get things done. That's why there is such a thing as a home field advantage.

If anyone wants to write a reasoned, supported critique of the Chronicle Texans coverage, or the Texans training camp coverage to date, please email me. Say what you didn't like in the Training Camp coverage or what you like in other papers, and I will put that sucker up on the blog if they are amenable to it.

It doesn't have to be long, but it has to be reasonable, practical, logical and something that you wouldn't mind kids reading. Write not to the audience here, but to a general audience that includes people who do not follow the team as closely.

I've written media critiques on the Chronicle and other media sources and have posted them in the blog before. I'd do it myself, but I'm swamped right now with life, and am working on some more football oriented stuff.

Here's my email (texanschick@gmail.com), I'm gonna be gone for a while today, but really, I think this can make a difference.

So there you go. :texflag:

threetoedpete
07-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Chronicle has been, always will be, a baseball paper first. No amount of e-mails is going to change that. Been the same for 45 years. Nothing is going to change. Football guys get the mushroom treatment. Keep'em in the dark and shovel them fertilzer. McClain's got ....influence. They (the NFL) are going to give him an award HOF weekend believe. So the General get's his name scribbled on the walls of Canton. He gives the casual/baseball fans what they want. Fluff.

nunusguy
07-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Chronicle has been, always will be, a baseball paper first.
That may be, you've been in these parts far longer than I have and should know. But if it is so, it still shouldn't be so. This is not Boston or St.Louis, this is Houston. Houston freaken' Texas ! Football is in the genes in these parts.
I will never forget seeing what I consider to be the greatest MNF game of all
time. Its before I ever moved to Houston, before I ever knew I was moving to Texas. It was that game in '79, '80, somewhere in there between the Oilers
and Dolphins in the Astrodome. The one where Campbell had a run from scrimmage that was about 75 or 80 yards long for a TD. I'd never seen such passion by fans, any kind of fans as that night in that game being telecast from Houston.
If football isn't the Chronicle Sports departments top priority, somebody ought
to remind them about that game.

Double Barrel
07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Win, and the pieces fall into place (ie. writers taking the time to learn and write about a team). Like it or not, losing teams are not that popular outside of the hardcore fans.

McClain's alright. While his blog is short on depth, I think we've got to realize that it'll pick up once training camp kicks in and all of our players/coaches are together again.

Vinny
07-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Perhaps it's just selective memory but the Oilers got much better coverage than the Texans have ever gotten for some reason. McClain is a good NFL writer but he isn't young anymore and I don't think he bothers to hustle much for tidbits on the home team and relies on connections he still has with the tacks. He needs to lay off the high dollar restaurants and put some boots on the ground here in his hometown. You can't do that from Maggiano's

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Perhaps it's just selective memory but the Oilers got much better coverage than the Texans have ever gotten for some reason. McClain is a good NFL writer but he isn't young anymore and I don't think he bothers to hustle much for tidbits on the home team and relies on connections he still has with the tacks. He needs to lay off the high dollar restaurants and put some boots on the ground here in his hometown. You can't do that from Maggiano's

I agree, Mcclain is old school. We need someone new like MM or TC.:yahoo:

aj.
07-24-2006, 01:16 PM

or Nashville or Hollywood.

The newspaper and radio coverage seemed better 10+ years ago because we didn't have this fancy gadget called the internet where regular joes and josettes now have access to multitudes of data at their fingertips and can communicate it effectively at warp speed.

The sports media folks, not just at the Chronicle but in a number of newspapers across the country, need to realize they need people who are internet savvy who can use the instantaneous nature of that beast to their advantage. That's what the Chronicle lacks. Their sports dept is still operating as if there wasn't an internet. Why? Because they can. Who is there to compete with? The Houston Press? The Forward Times? The Bellaire Garden Club Weekly?

Also, follow the money. Until the meager revenues from chron.com surpasses what is generated from 500,000+ subscribers and all that advertising in the print version of the Chronic, then you know where the priority will be placed.

Kaiser Toro
07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
or Nashville or Hollywood.

The newspaper and radio coverage seemed better 10+ years ago because we didn't have this fancy gadget called the internet where regular joes and josettes now have access to multitudes of data at their fingertips and can communicate it effectively at warp speed.

The sports media folks, not just at the Chronicle but in a number of newspapers across the country, need to realize they need people who are internet savvy who can use the instantaneous nature of that beast to their advantage. That's what the Chronicle lacks. Their sports dept is still operating as if there wasn't an internet. Why? Because they can. Who is there to compete with? The Houston Press? The Forward Times? The Bellaire Garden Club Weekly?

Also, follow the money. Until the meager revenues from chron.com surpasses what is generated from 500,000+ subscribers and all that advertising in the print version of the Chronic, then you know where the priority will be placed.

It sounds like the Chronicle needs to get Senator Stevens to give them a crash course on the history of the internet and it's tubular origins.

D-Vizzl
07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Win, and the pieces fall into place (ie. writers taking the time to learn and write about a team). Like it or not, losing teams are not that popular outside of the hardcore fans.

McClain's alright. While his blog is short on depth, I think we've got to realize that it'll pick up once training camp kicks in and all of our players/coaches are together again.

I agree, while sheer playing ability had the most to do with it, McClain lobbyed for Warren Moon to get into the HOF. He did this with "passion and persuasion" so he is capable to give you what you want, he just chooses not to. Many in Houston do this though, John Granato works with the Astros and rarely will you get any info that you really want to know. I thought that only I felt this way about Houston, so it's good to know that I'm not crazy.

Meloy
07-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Richard Smith was the creator of the "House of Pain" Special Teams of the Oilers back when he was coaching here with Glanvillegood call. Most have forgotten the House of Pain days, I think. Was some good defensive plays. Everyone seemed to hit somebody, even if the play was to the other side.

Meloy
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I was going to listen, but when he started off with a local swimming competition, I switched channels.Wasn't this due to co-worker Richard Justice's daughter doing well in swimming? I do not mind him giving a plug, but move on! Astros are clanking as usual this time of year, Tour d'Bicycle is over, we finally signed a guard to bring the BB down the court, Tiger done won one for daddy (I really do not mean to be disrespectful) and one of the Williams sisters done jumped over the net. OKAY, now give me some info about the Texans,FGS! (for God's sake). We have what, 90 players on the roster and we can't get some news except in Sundsay paper. Did anyone else laugh at the "all there is to know about the Houston Texans" this past Sunday. GRRR!

Runner
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Wasn't this due to co-worker Richard Justice's daughter doing well in swimming? I do not mind him giving a plug, but move on!

That was my problem - move on!

I guess it is my impatience. So many radio people do a lead up to tell you what they are going to say, say it, then reitierate a couple of times. Add that to the commercials and it gets irritating to me.

chuckm
07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
That was my problem - move on!

I guess it is my impatience. So many radio people do a lead up to tell you what they are going to say, say it, then reitierate a couple of times. Add that to the commercials and it gets irritating to me.

His Friday afternoon visit on 610 has gotten particularly irritating to me .... maybe my timing is off but it seems like whatever part of his ~90 minute visit I catch is always about Vince Young, Baylor sports, Hollywood movies, or Barry Manilow

Meloy
07-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Perhaps it's just selective memory but the Oilers got much better coverage than the Texans have ever gotten for some reason. McClain is a good NFL writer but he isn't young anymore and I don't think he bothers to hustle much for tidbits on the home team and relies on connections he still has with the tacks. He needs to lay off the high dollar restaurants and put some boots on the ground here in his hometown. You can't do that from Maggiano'sYou tagged it Vinny. I do not think McClain is simply coasting, but he does fall back on yester year a lot. I think the guys on 610 mornings, add to this by pumping him up. I do like to hear some "insider stories" about so & so, but McClain has lost his hunger. He has a few seconds in some 3rd rate movies and that plays into his ego IMO. Maybe my complaint is there is just never enough Houston football for me, even when the powder blue team was here.

Meloy
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
His Friday afternoon visit on 610 has gotten particularly irritating to me .... maybe my timing is off but it seems like whatever part of his ~90 minute visit I catch is always about Vince Young, Baylor sports, Hollywood movies, or Barry ManilowTrue true, but isn't it sad? I wait like a faithful puppy hoping a scrap of something digestable falls off the table. At 5pm, I flip back & forth between Pallilo and the Bible answer man on FM. By then I only have another 1/2 hour to get home.

the wonger need food
07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
McClain responded to the comments, thegr8fan specifically...

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/07/this_the_best_time_of_the_year.html#comments

Response from John McClain: Wow! Thanks for all your questions and comments to my first blog in two years, including the ones from those of you who still use Crayolas. And you know who you are.
Those of you who were thoughtful and insightful, thanks very much. I wish I could respond to each of you, but I'm working on a special section on Warren Moon for Sunday. He's being inducted in the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Game, which I typed wrong last week. Sorry about that.

As for the others who sent comments, well, I read insults, too.

Let's start with Cooga Scott. I appreciate your opinion, but it's obvious that you're so far out in left field about Moon, Munchak and Bethea that you're out of the ballpark. Also, I've never called Adam Sandler a "great actor." But the little time I've spent around him, he's been a first-class act, very genuine. This year I'm talking about Mark Wahlberg and Greg Kinnear. Check them out in "Invincible." It opens Aug. 25. You might learn something about class and humility.

And I've said on Sports Radio 610 for years that Guy Lewis belongs in the college basketball Hall of Fame. You're preaching to the choir.
Now, let's move on to thegr8fan. Pete, since you want to insult me so much, let's get it going: First of all, you're a good cook at the tailgate bashes, but you're out to lunch on your observations about my coverage of the NFL.

First of all, Pete, it says "NFL Notebook," not "Texans Notebook." I've only been writing it for 28 years, and since you haven't been able to figure it out, I'll try to explain it very slowly. Contrary to what you might believe, there are Chronicle readers who like to read about other teams. Imagine that. That's why it's an "NFL Notebook," Pete. We write Texans notes almost every day during the season. We also write Texans stories every day. I wrote three Titans stories last season and two on the Cowboys. And yet' you're always complaining that I write too much about them. Tell you what, Pete: I'll give you $100 for every Titans and Cowboys story I wrote last year if you give me $10 for every Texans story I wrote. What do you say, Pete. Put your money where your mouth is.

By the way, Pete, the NFL Notebook, as well as my blogs, will have a lot of information about other NFL teams as well as the Texans. Including Vince Young. Better get used to it.

And thanks for reading and insulting.

See you in the parking lot. Will I need a food taster?
Your buddy,
McLame

Memo: Here's a preview of what we're doing on the Texans right out of the gate: Stories on Mario Williams and the pressure of being the top pick, David Carr's adjustment to the new coaches and system and how Domanick Davis' knee is going to affect the offense.

Kaiser Toro
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Good for McClain and thegr8fan. Thanks for sharing Wonger.

HOOK'EM
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Chronicle has been, always will be, a baseball paper first. No amount of e-mails is going to change that. Been the same for 45 years. Nothing is going to change. Football guys get the mushroom treatment. Keep'em in the dark and shovel them fertilzer. McClain's got ....influence. They (the NFL) are going to give him an award HOF weekend believe. So the General get's his name scribbled on the walls of Canton. He gives the casual/baseball fans what they want. Fluff.

Yeah, like last year when they put the grave headstone with "the Astros are dead" on the front page.

aj.
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Now, let's move on to thegr8fan. Pete, since you want to insult me so much, let's get it going: First of all, you're a good cook at the tailgate bashes, but you're out to lunch on your observations about my coverage of the NFL.

Since when did Pete cook at a tailgate?

Double Barrel
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM

First of all, Pete, it says "NFL Notebook," not "Texans Notebook." I've only been writing it for 28 years, and since you haven't been able to figure it out, I'll try to explain it very slowly. Contrary to what you might believe, there are Chronicle readers who like to read about other teams. Imagine that. That's why it's an "NFL Notebook," Pete. We write Texans notes almost every day during the season. We also write Texans stories every day. I wrote three Titans stories last season and two on the Cowboys. And yet' you're always complaining that I write too much about them. Tell you what, Pete: I'll give you $100 for every Titans and Cowboys story I wrote last year if you give me $10 for every Texans story I wrote. What do you say, Pete. Put your money where your mouth is.

By the way, Pete, the NFL Notebook, as well as my blogs, will have a lot of information about other NFL teams as well as the Texans. Including Vince Young. Better get used to it.

And thanks for reading and insulting.

See you in the parking lot. Will I need a food taster?
Your buddy,
McLame

Wow! A flame war between our very own thegr8fan and John "McLame". How exciting! :shades:

I've got to wonder if either of them expected the responses they've received.

Perhaps my memory is getting fuzzy, too, but I swear I can recall seeing daily stories about the Oilers back in the day (maybe that was due to two papers?).

Do you think things will change when we're posting a winning record? Man, I hope so!

aj.
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow! A flame war between our very own thegr8fan and John "McLame". How exciting! :shades:

It's been going on since last season.

Hopefully gr8 isn't dumb enough to take up JM on that bet because his Texans v. Titans v. Cowboys article count from last season may surprise some people.

rafterticket
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Do you think things will change when we're posting a winning record? Man, I hope so!

I would put money down that's the real issue. Let's face it, this offseason and the first Cowboys game are the biggest highlights of the franchise.

18-46 does not provide you with a lot of source material, and nobody wants to hear any more about "moral victories" in season one and two. Season three gave way too much hope, and season four was a movie starring Carrot Top or Pauly Shore.

Besides, those writers seem to cannibalize each other's ideas into their own stories. Who wants to repeat what everyone has said about the Texans for the last few years? Especially last year?

thegr8fan
07-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Since when did Pete cook at a tailgate?must have me confused with someone else, I don't remember ever cooking at a tailgate. If he did eat there it was probably aj cooking, and YES aj is one heck of a grill chef. :redtowel:

McLame is actually pretty fun to talk to in person at the tailgates. I wish some of THAT kind of football talk made it into this writing.

First of all, Pete, it says "NFL Notebook," not "Texans Notebook." uhhhh, yeah, McLame. sorry I missed that headline. If it's an NFL notebook, why all the beating around the bush with Denver quotes and Jon Gruden quotes regarding the Texans newest OC Calhoun. Or were you trying to tell the other 31 teams in the NFL who Bob McNairs personal assistant was, Becky Virtue, in case they needed to know that info?

anyone read any other teams news in that NFL Notebook blog, NOT directed at something Texans??

Put some meat on the table McLame, or go back to being a Pastry Chef Journalist producing Lemon Meringue pie type stories. Taste great, and good flavor, but nothing really there to sink your teeth into.

MightyTExan
07-25-2006, 04:16 PM
And McLain posted this today?
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/4065525.html
July 25, 2006, 9:10AM

Veteran cornerback Ty Law, 32, is still unsigned, despite intercepting 10 passes for the Jets last season.

Kansas City, New England, Arizona and Seattle have shown interested in Law. Don't be surprised if he ends up with the Chiefs or back with the Patriots.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
And McLain posted this today?
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/4065525.html
July 25, 2006, 9:10AM

Veteran cornerback Ty Law, 32, is still unsigned, despite intercepting 10 passes for the Jets last season.

Kansas City, New England, Arizona and Seattle have shown interested in Law. Don't be surprised if he ends up with the Chiefs or back with the Patriots.

This had to be written by 12 MN last night. To stay up to date and informed, McClain would be doing better if he just cut and paste from our board.

thegr8fan
07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
This had to be written by 12 MN last night. To stay up to date and informed, McClain would be doing better if he just cut and paste from our board. what makes you think he doesn't?? I KNOW he reads it.

BigDTexansFan
07-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Having lived in many cities in my life I have never seen this lousy of coverage for a local NFL team. John McClain is an awful writer in my opinion and provides no value to this market.

Since I do not buy the Chronicle, as I do not live in Houston, I have no need to complain to the staff as I am apathetic to his writing. The Chronic should know that apathy does not move product. He is more fan than a football guy, and he is an awful fan for the local team. I would take informed homer anyday over uninformed turncoat.

Kaiser, should try living up here in Cowgirls land, they all act like every word out of mouth of Cowgirls players,coaches and owner came straight out of heaven. They are pathetic homers and if you tell them this, well we have a letters section for comments and opinions. I told them would call yours opinion, but I can't get my head as far up my @@@@ as you can. :bananasplit:

TwinSisters
07-25-2006, 10:09 PM

YRMV

No it's not. Ugh Hippies.

You have to have something work in order for it to be called "best". Asking politely works like .02% of the time.

The most change comes from the end of gun barrels, muskets, or the sharp end of an axe.

TwinSisters
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM

You know it has to do with the Texans also. McClain along with some other news guys, complain about the access to the Texans and their lack of style or "realism". Meaning that they never get anything from the Texans that doesn't sound canned.

If you look at the journalism awards winners this year, you see Reese and McClain in the top. ( Reese got something for being the 'most cooperative' or something like that )