PDA

View Full Version : Opening day, Houston has never beaten Philly

Hookem Horns
07-23-2006, 09:35 PM
The Houston Oilers, never beat the Eagles. I attended 3 of those games. My first ever Oilers game was watching them play the Eagles in 1980 at the Dome. The Eagles won, while the game mattered little since both teams had already clinched playoff berths. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl that season and the Oilers lost in the playoffs to the Raiders, the team that beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

The other 2 games I attended were at the Vet. The first one was in 88 during the Glanville era. Commander Cody started due to Moon being injured. I remember the Oilers took an early big lead in that game, however blew it in typical Oiler fashion as Randall Cunningham brought the Eagles back. The second was a Monday Night Football game at the Vet during that disastrous 2-14 season in 94. I think we were up to Billy Joe Tolliver that week. Pardee was fired soon after that game. The Eagles won that one too though I forget the score.

Of course every Oilers fan remembers the MNF game in '91 at the Dome when the Eagles defense put on one of the best defensive shows in NFL history. The Eagles were starting their 3rd string QB and I thought the Oilers would kill them, however the opposite happened almost literally. Andre Waters KO of Ernest Givens summed that game up. I remember his facemask being broken as was his nose. To Givens credit though he continued to play with a broken nose. The Eagles won that game 13-6 as the run and shoot was pounded and grounded. I will never forget that game because I watched it at a Bill Bergey (former Eagle LB) owned sports bar outside of Philly. I took a pounding too by rabid Eagle fans as I sported by Moon jersey, though I did get to sing the Oilers fighting song live on a Philly radio station before the game started.

The Texans played the Eagles in Philly in their first season and played well. However it wasn't enough for them to win. So Houston NFL football teams are 0'fer vs. the Eagles. Will that continue this season. Chances are yes. However one common trend will end that week. There will be a player or number of players used to losing at Reliant that will walk away with a victory (barring a tie) that day. As a Texans fan I hope it is a number of players wearing blue helmets. However, it could be Jabar Gafney who plays his first game as an Eagle in familiar surroundings.

aj.
07-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Of course every Oilers fan remembers the MNF game in '91 at the Dome when the Eagles defense put on one of the best defensive shows in NFL history. .

If I recall correctly, that was the game where Felecia Moon had a really bad time in the stands - or at least that's when it peaked. I also recall a bunch of turnovers and bigtime frustration for the rest of us.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
If I recall correctly, that was the game where Felecia Moon had a really bad time in the stands - or at least that's when it peaked. I also recall a bunch of turnovers and bigtime frustration for the rest of us.

I thought that it was in a KC playoff game. Someone pretended to wipe their butt with something and threw it at her.

CajunTexan
07-23-2006, 10:13 PM
The Houston Oilers, never beat the Eagles. I attended 3 of those games. My first ever Oilers game was watching them play the Eagles in 1980 at the Dome. The Eagles won, while the game mattered little since both teams had already clinched playoff berths. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl that season and the Oilers lost in the playoffs to the Raiders, the team that beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

The other 2 games I attended were at the Vet. The first one was in 88 during the Glanville era. Commander Cody started due to Moon being injured. I remember the Oilers took an early big lead in that game, however blew it in typical Oiler fashion as Randall Cunningham brought the Eagles back. The second was a Monday Night Football game at the Vet during that disastrous 2-14 season in 94. I think we were up to Billy Joe Tolliver that week. Pardee was fired soon after that game. The Eagles won that one too though I forget the score.

Of course every Oilers fan remembers the MNF game in '91 at the Dome when the Eagles defense put on one of the best defensive shows in NFL history. The Eagles were starting their 3rd string QB and I thought the Oilers would kill them, however the opposite happened almost literally. Andre Waters KO of Ernest Givens summed that game up. I remember his facemask being broken as was his nose. To Givens credit though he continued to play with a broken nose. The Eagles won that game 13-6 as the run and shoot was pounded and grounded. I will never forget that game because I watched it at a Bill Bergey (former Eagle LB) owned sports bar outside of Philly. I took a pounding too by rabid Eagle fans as I sported by Moon jersey, though I did get to sing the Oilers fighting song live on a Philly radio station before the game started.

The Texans played the Eagles in Philly in their first season and played well. However it wasn't enough for them to win. So Houston NFL football teams are 0'fer vs. the Eagles. Will that continue this season. Chances are yes. However one common trend will end that week. There will be a player or number of players used to losing at Reliant that will walk away with a victory (barring a tie) that day. As a Texans fan I hope it is a number of players wearing blue helmets. However, it could be Jabar Gafney who plays his first game as an Eagle in familiar surroundings.

When I look at the top of this web page, I see "HOUSTONTEXANS.COM." I am unsure why some of you old school Oilers fans, feel you need to relive those days on the Texans board!!!!

Didn't all of you suffer enough!!!! I bet your old "buddy" Bud, visits this web site on a daily basis and just gets his jollies on you guys and gals that fondly remember those gut wrenching days!

I lived in Houston for the exit of the Oilers and the birth of the Texans and was NEVER an oiler fan, but "feel in love" with the Texans. (I preferred the Cowboys to the Oilers but dumped them for the Texans)

We must make sure we have a clean break from those days...we do not need any Oiler carma carring over to the Texans...none...zero...zip!!!!!!!!!!

Do us all (well at least me) a favor and put your Columbia Blue hankies back in the drawer and only bring them out to wipe your eyes when ESPN Classic reruns the '92 debacle in Buffalo.

aj.
07-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I thought that it was in a KC playoff game. Someone pretended to wipe their butt with something and threw it at her.

I'm sure it happened more than once but there's something about that game - Monday Night and all - that makes me remember that....

p.s. Cajun. Some of us have been HOUSTON NFL fans forever and this is the current HOUSTON NFL franchise's message board. The reason why a lot of us are here is because of our passion for the NFL and HOUSTON's pro football teams. My HOUSTON NFL memories don't belong on a Nashville message board. Have a little respect for the roots of pro football in this city and those who have loyally followed our teams through thick and thin since the beginning of time. To say "we" need a clean break from Bum, Earl and the rest of our city's NFL history is just plain ignorant.

Hookem Horns
07-23-2006, 10:23 PM

Not sure about the Felicia Moon thing since I was living in the Philly area at that time, but you are right about the turnovers. To the Eagles credit, most all of them were caused by their game plan.

The week after the game, some Eagles players on their sports station (also 610) talked about how Bud Carson (then Eagles D Coordinator, now deceased) game planned for the Run and Shoot. He felt that the Run and Shoot Oilers were so successful because teams were too busy trying to prevent completed passes which was next to impossible if Moon and his receivers were in sync. So his plan was to allow the Oiler receivers to catch the ball and just go for well timed hits. Since the Eagles had some KO guys in the secondary he felt he could wear down the receivers to where they would either start dropping balls out of fear or fumble after the reception due to the timing of the hits. His plan worked to perfection. Those guys were bragging about that game for weeks. I remember the late Jerome Brown leaving the field saying in reference to the House of Pain ... "They provided the house, we provided the pain".

CajunTexan
07-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm sure it happened more than once but there's something about that game - Monday Night and all - that makes me remember that....

p.s. Cajun. Some of us have been HOUSTON NFL fans forever and this is the current HOUSTON NFL franchise's message board. The reason why a lot of us are here is because of our passion for the NFL and HOUSTON's pro football teams. My HOUSTON NFL memories don't belong on a Nashville message board. Have a little respect for the roots of pro football in this city and those who have loyally followed our teams through thick and thin since the beginning of time. To say "we" need a clean break from Bum, Earl and the rest of our city's NFL history is just plain ignorant.

aj...I have much respect for your roots...and your insights specifically in regards to the access you have to the Texans...

just hate to see that oiler carma associated with the Texans...I know there were many great oiler moments for local fans, but there is a national stigma associated with that franchise IMO...

Hookem Horns
07-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I lived in Houston for the exit of the Oilers and the birth of the Texans and was NEVER an oiler fan,

That's why you don't understand. They are OUR memories as Houston fans. Oiler history is our history as fans also. Should we just forget that we passionately watched football for all those years? I would believe most Texans fans were Oilers fans too.

Should Cleveland Browns fans forget their history also? The only difference between the Browns and Texans is the NFL let them keep their old name and history, however the new Browns is a completely new organization just like the Texans and that is only a technicality on paper.

CajunTexan
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
That's why you don't understand. They are OUR memories as Houston fans. Oiler history is our history as fans also. Should we just forget that we passionately watched football for all those years? I would believe most Texans fans were Oilers fans too.

Should Cleveland Browns fans forget their history also? The only difference between the Browns and Texans is the NFL let them keep their old name and history, however the new Browns is a completely new organization just like the Texans and that is only a technicality on paper.

Understood "Horns"...my perspective is from a desire to keep the two era's seperate...I am sure had I been born and raised a Houstonian, I would see it a little differently.

Hookem Horns
07-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Understood "Horns"...my perspective is from a desire to keep the two era's seperate...I am sure had I been born and raised a Houstonian, I would see it a little differently.

You probably would. However, I am with you on keeping the eras seperate. You will notice that I often convienently cast off Oiler history when necessary, for example telling Titans fans that it is their organization that holds the record for largest blown lead in playoff history, not ours.

However, while that is true, it is part of our history too as fans.

aj.
07-23-2006, 10:40 PM
just hate to see that oiler carma associated with the Texans...I know there were many great oiler moments for local fans, but there is a national stigma associated with that franchise IMO...

I hate to tell ya this, but there's a national stigma associated with the Texans too.

The Oilers played 31 postseason games in their 36 year history here. The Texans have yet to field a .500 team in their brief existence.

The Oilers are part of Houston's NFL (and AFL) history, just like the Texans.

CajunTexan
07-23-2006, 10:51 PM
I hate to tell ya this, but there's a national stigma associated with the Texans too.

The Oilers played 31 postseason games in their 36 year history here. The Texans have yet to field a .500 team in their brief existence.

The Oilers are part of Houston's NFL (and AFL) history, just like the Texans.

Spoken like a true Oiler homer...come on aj...you can not honestly equate the Oiler stigma to that of the Texans, could you???

When you say "Houston Oilers" anywhere outside of Harris, Fort Bend, Montgemary et.al counties, the first and probably only thing that come to mind is the '92 debacle in Buffalo...when you mention "Houston Texans" they say "thats the expansion team whose QB has been sacked a "bijillion" times that passed on Reggie isn't it"...I much prefer the later 'cause something can still be done about it...nothing, nothing, not one thing can ever be done to undo Buffalo.....

aj.
07-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Homer? I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Frankly I don't care about what other people think about my teams, whether they are re-living Buffalo for the nth time or blasting Carr for setting sack records. And I sure as hell don't let that influence who I root for.....but it sounds like you are 'bothered' by negative perception...hmmmm.....that doesn't sound like someone who is secure in their fandom does it Dr. Phil? - especially when taken with the Cowboys disclosure.... What happens to you if the Texans go four more years sub-.500 and Reggie Bush rushes for 2000 every year and Mario really is Sam Bowie, while the 'boys somehow return to the promised land?

.. btw that was a nice 'national stigma parallel' you drew up for our teams past and present. Congrats.

All I know is that even with the meltdowns, those ten or so playoff years with the Oilers since and including LYB were far more satisfying than anything I've seen on the field in four years with the Texans, with the exception of Opening Night. Maybe in twenty years or so, we'll have our own Texans playoff meltdowns to reminisce. Maybe we can even get to a couple of conference championships. In the mean time, I will keep buying my season tix, god willin.

Feel free to think whatever. I really don't care to pursue this debate btw.

threetoedpete
07-23-2006, 11:21 PM
When I look at the top of this web page, I see "HOUSTONTEXANS.COM." I am unsure why some of you old school Oilers fans, feel you need to relive those days on the Texans board!!!!

Didn't all of you suffer enough!!!! I bet your old "buddy" Bud, visits this web site on a daily basis and just gets his jollies on you guys and gals that fondly remember those gut wrenching days!

I lived in Houston for the exit of the Oilers and the birth of the Texans and was NEVER an oiler fan, but "feel in love" with the Texans. (I preferred the Cowboys to the Oilers but dumped them for the Texans)

We must make sure we have a clean break from those days...we do not need any Oiler carma carring over to the Texans...none...zero...zip!!!!!!!!!!

Do us all (well at least me) a favor and put your Columbia Blue hankies back in the drawer and only bring them out to wipe your eyes when ESPN Classic reruns the '92 debacle in Buffalo.

Yeah well grasshopper, I invested forty years in those Oiler teams. I was never a traitor though. I never rooted for the cow polks. Do me a favor and go to where you belong...Kissing Jimmy and TO's Assets. :tease:

beerlover
07-23-2006, 11:30 PM
its fun to imagine beating the storied Eagles here in Houston :homer:

It should be a defensive battle with our secondary missing key plays against the master in McNabb, but wait does he wear down in the 4th qt. with a relentless pass rush from :fireball: & co? while the once conservative Texans running and short passing game suddenly spreads its wings and airs things out making a dramatic come from behind win :shades:

CajunTexan
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Homer? I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Frankly I don't care about what other people think about my teams, whether they are re-living Buffalo for the nth time or blasting Carr for setting sack records. And I sure as hell don't let that influence who I root for.....but it sounds like you are 'bothered' by negative perception...hmmmm.....that doesn't sound like someone who is secure in their fandom does it Dr. Phil? - especially when taken with the Cowboys disclosure.... What happens to you if the Texans go four more years sub-.500 and Reggie Bush rushes for 2000 every year and Mario really is Sam Bowie, while the 'boys somehow return to the promised land?

.. btw that was a nice 'national stigma parallel' you drew up for our teams past and present. Congrats.

All I know is that even with the meltdowns, those ten or so playoff years with the Oilers since and including LYB were far more satisfying than anything I've seen on the field in four years with the Texans, with the exception of Opening Night. Maybe in twenty years or so, we'll have our own Texans playoff meltdowns to reminisce. Maybe we can even get to a couple of conference championships. In the mean time, I will keep buying my season tix, god willin.

Feel free to think whatever. I really don't care to pursue this debate btw.

No need to debate, and very poor attempt to discredit my "fandom." I was not trying to discredit yours.

Actually, the first professional football game I ever attended was in 1970, Oilers vs. 49ers in the dome. Just never panned out as a huge oiler fan and do not want the Texans to turn out the same.

CajunTexan
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah well grasshopper, I invested forty years in those Oiler teams. I was never a traitor though. I never rooted for the cow polks. Do me a favor and go to where you belong...Kissing Jimmy and TO's Assets. :tease:

Don't get your Columbia Blue panties in a wad.... rooting for the Cowboys when there was no vialble alternative in Houston does not make me a traitor...and I am were I belong...a CajunTexan fan.....

Double Barrel
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
While I used to be an Oiler fan (born into it), I understand CajunTexan's perspective of keeping the baby blue karma away from our dear Texans. We've got enough going against us without bringing the 35-3 debacle up.

I'm not knocking Houston's 'glorious' football legacy, but I don't live in the past. The Oilers are gone, dead, history. Their records are now the records of a Tennessee franchise that bears no resemblence to the team I used to love. Sure, I remember the good times....but the fact remains that the way it ended is full of bitterness and heartbreak.

But yeah, the Houston Texans have never beaten the Eagles on opening day. :ok: That's a fact, Jack!

aj.
07-24-2006, 06:23 PM
... very poor attempt to discredit my "fandom." I was not trying to discredit yours.

Just a reminder that you posted the following before I went there:

I bet your old "buddy" Bud, visits this web site on a daily basis and just gets his jollies on you guys and gals.

Do us all (well at least me) a favor and put your Columbia Blue hankies back in the drawer ....

Spoken like a true Oiler homer....

So you want long time Houston NFL/AFL fans to 'stifle' when we want to discuss Houston pro football history on Houston's official NFL message board? Yes, I do realize our current team is the Texans, so what do you suggest, that we go to the Titans board and reminisce about Earl, Bum, Moon, et al. with a bunch of people from Murfreesboro?

I'm guessing the Oilers will continue to come up here until the last generation of home-bred Oilers fans is six feet under. When would they have been born, in the late 1980's I guess? So, you probably have about 50 more years to deal with it.

Actually, you don't have to deal with any of this - just tell everyone you were a Cowboys fan back then and you'll be able to maintain your purity that you're so concerned about without getting any Oilers scent on you.

As far as "karma," I'm not superstitious nor do I think we are voodoo west so if you believe that the mere mention of the Oilers in this space somehow jinxes the Texans, well..... I really don't get that but to each their own.

It's pretty obvious the Texans are their own team and own organization with a great owner and a ton of potential. The two orgs are like apples and oranges but they share the honor of having played in front of many of us.

And the Texans are 0-1 against Philly.

Double Barrel
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
yep, and until the Texans put up a winning record, those memories are all we have of a winning football team in Houston. (man, reading about Warren Moon and the run and shoot brings back some great memories. Those were exciting times and I didn't quite realize how special it was until it was gone.)

I can't wait until winning times again!!!! :texflag:

aj.
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
yep, and until the Texans put up a winning record, those memories are all we have of a winning football team in Houston. (man, reading about Warren Moon and the run and shoot brings back some great memories. Those were exciting times and I didn't quite realize how special it was until it was gone.)

There were three good eras and I'm fortunate to have witnessed two of them. Now we need to get going on the first Texans 'era' that we can look back on in about in 25 years. I hate the fact that 64 games into their existence, the high point of the franchise was 64 games ago.

cincyTEXAN
07-24-2006, 07:26 PM
hey..... check out that dudes hat! i love the texans and i love bob mcnair for saving me from the "dark years" as i like to call them.but the oilers will always be a part of mine and many others lives til the day i pass. its about having a professional football team in the city i was born in and will always love. it actually doesn't bother me so much that cajun was never an oiler fan,rooted for the cowboys,and now loves the texans.it's more like ......sad really.

Dawkins
07-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Don't count on that trend changing anytime soon. :hides:

Actually, the Eagles in recent years have been slow starters so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in for a dogfight with the Texans. Your team has a new direction, new leadership, practically a whole new face to put out there. Any Eagles fan expecting us to be playing last year's Texans should take off their blinders.

Of course I'm hoping you lose, badly, but that kinda goes with the territory. :)

CajunTexan
07-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Just a reminder that you posted the following before I went there:

So you want long time Houston NFL/AFL fans to 'stifle' when we want to discuss Houston pro football history on Houston's official NFL message board? Yes, I do realize our current team is the Texans, so what do you suggest, that we go to the Titans board and reminisce about Earl, Bum, Moon, et al. with a bunch of people from Murfreesboro?

How about the "NFL" board and not the "Bull Pen"?

I'm guessing the Oilers will continue to come up here until the last generation of home-bred Oilers fans is six feet under. When would they have been born, in the late 1980's I guess? So, you probably have about 50 more years to deal with it.

Actually, you don't have to deal with any of this - just tell everyone you were a Cowboys fan back then and you'll be able to maintain your purity that you're so concerned about without getting any Oilers scent on you.

I believe I already fessed up to pulling for the Cowboys back then...do you need to hear it again?

As far as "karma," I'm not superstitious nor do I think we are voodoo west so if you believe that the mere mention of the Oilers in this space somehow jinxes the Texans, well..... I really don't get that but to each their own.

It's pretty obvious the Texans are their own team and own organization with a great owner and a ton of potential. The two orgs are like apples and oranges but they share the honor of having played in front of many of us.

And the Texans are 0-1 against Philly.

We will be 1-1 after opening day...mark it down.....

aj.
07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
How about the "NFL" board and not the "Bull Pen"?

I didn't start this thread so I don't have any control over what forums these things appear. Talk to a moderator and have it moved..... although with your prediction of a Texans victory over the Eagles in Week 1, and the rest of the Texans - Eagles content here, I'd argue that it should probably stay put. Although if you keep bringing up the Cowboys, we'll have to ask you to take it next door.

CajunTexan
07-24-2006, 10:15 PM
hey..... check out that dudes hat! i love the texans and i love bob mcnair for saving me from the "dark years" as i like to call them.but the oilers will always be a part of mine and many others lives til the day i pass. its about having a professional football team in the city i was born in and will always love. it actually doesn't bother me so much that cajun was never an oiler fan,rooted for the cowboys,and now loves the texans.it's more like ......sad really.

Cincy...thanks for the empathy, sympathy or back handed insult, whatever that was you were trying to express.

It comes from being born in a non-NFL city with varying allengecies to regional teams i.e Cowboys, Saints, Oilers/Texans. (Heck, I also was and am still, a huge Packer fan. Showing my age there)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was fortunate enough to call Houston home during the formation of the Texan franchise and it stuck.

CajunTexan
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I didn't start this thread so I don't have any control over what forums these things appear. Talk to a moderator and have it moved..... although with your prediction of a Texans victory over the Eagles in Week 1, and the rest of the Texans - Eagles content here, I'd argue that it should probably stay put.

You asked a question, I made a suggestion...not NEAR enough important to me to contact a member of the "Mod Squad." (My apologies to Pete, Link and Julie)

aj...I admire your allegence to Houston's former pro football team after, everything you and the rest of the Oiler Nation went through in the 90's.

aj.
07-24-2006, 10:26 PM
aj...I admire your allegence to Houston's former pro football team after, everything you and the rest of the Oiler Nation went through in the 90's.

The early 70's and early 80's took a helluva lot more perseverance than two crushing playoff chokes. Going to the playoffs 7 straight years from '87-'93 was a blast, as was LYB. Hopefully the Texans can go to the playoffs 7 straight years and get to a conference chamionship or two someday. Enjoy your rings.

And I think the Texans will upset the Eagles in a Week 1 shocker.

TEXANRED
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Don't count on that trend changing anytime soon. :hides:

Actually, the Eagles in recent years have been slow starters so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in for a dogfight with the Texans. Your team has a new direction, new leadership, practically a whole new face to put out there. Any Eagles fan expecting us to be playing last year's Texans should take off their blinders.

Of course I'm hoping you lose, badly, but that kinda goes with the territory. :)
To late, the "Its never happened" curse has now been put into effect. Any time someone says, so and so hasn't been sacked in 4 games, or so and so hasn't thrown an interception in 200 attempts, or this guy here hasn't fumbled in 300 plus carries, what happens? They get sacked picked and fumble on the next play.

Most memorable example, Adam V for the Patriots year one at home, the announcers states how accurate Adam V was and how he had never missed an indoor field goal. What happens? He missed. Not just once, but twice.

So its too late Eagles fans, might as well look forward to week two b/c now someone has stated how Houston has never ever beaten the Eagles........................never ever. Now we will.

The Houston Texans have never ever, ever, ever, started the season 6-0 either. Thought I would throw that out there.

Wolf
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
you have to remember cajun.. houston oilers are as much part of the texas tradition as the Texans are..

Bud just took the team and got froze the oilers legacy in the NFL vaults (not that I cared if we took the Oilers name again, I like the Texans.

Oilers are rich in Houston as the Colts are in Baltimore or the Rams in L.A. or the browns history (if it werent for the NFL stepping in and keeping the history in Cleveland) that would have moved to Baltimore.

I bet if you took a poll of how many people wouldn't mind retiring a jersey of 34 for the Texans in honor of Earl Campbell, you'd be suprised how many people (or maybe me) would love that.. eventhough Earl didn't play for the Texans, he is always an Houstonian

TEXANRED
07-24-2006, 11:07 PM
you have to remember cajun.. houston oilers are as much part of the texas tradition as the Texans are..

Bud just took the team and got froze the oilers legacy in the NFL vaults (not that I cared if we took the Oilers name again, I like the Texans.

Oilers are rich in Houston as the Colts are in Baltimore or the Rams in L.A. or the browns history (if it werent for the NFL stepping in and keeping the history in Cleveland) that would have moved to Baltimore.

I bet if you took a poll of how many people wouldn't mind retiring a jersey of 34 for the Texans in honor of Earl Campbell, you'd be suprised how many people (or maybe me) would love that.. eventhough Earl didn't play for the Texans, he is always an Houstonian
#34, #1, #81, #84(this is Drew Hill right?) #54, Munchak's #, Matthews' #, I can't think of the name of our DB that was outstanding, tip of tounge though, someone help.

I would like to see a ring of honor at reliant. It would be nice. No matter how many times they say it, that is Houston history and will never be Tenn history.

Hookem Horns
07-24-2006, 11:45 PM
#34, #1, #81, #84(this is Drew Hill right?) #54, Munchak's #, Matthews' #, I can't think of the name of our DB that was outstanding, tip of tounge though, someone help.

I would like to see a ring of honor at reliant. It would be nice. No matter how many times they say it, that is Houston history and will never be Tenn history.

#85 was Drew Hill, #84 was Haywood Jeffires. Matthews was #74, Munchak was #63, an don't forget Elvin Bethea #65

TexansSeminole
07-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I think that the first pass McNabb throws Dunta is going to intercept it and run it for a touchdown. :shades:

Did you guys know that he has never scored a touchdown in the NFL, while Buchanon has scored 7, 4 on defense.

p.s. Buchanon is 26, Dunta is 24.

TwinSisters
07-25-2006, 02:12 AM
(if it werent for the NFL stepping in and keeping the history in Cleveland) that would have moved to Baltimore.

just adding some stuff:

The fans stopped the records move for Cleveland. If the fans didn't care, the NFL would not have cared so much. I don't think we as a community wanted them or the records! ( we meaning by majority )

and Earl is a Texan legend! ( for the state )

When I think Eagles and Houston.. I don't even think about the Eagles themselves as much as that crazy football opera Buddy Ryan!

O lordy... the big punch out, babygate, Jimmy Johnson smack talking..all ending with a Moon fumble and Joe Montana closing the last act.

aj.
07-25-2006, 07:35 AM

That's where I draw the line. Keep retired Oilers numbers and honors out of Reliant. The Texans shouldn't be retiring Oilers numbers or plastering names and jersey numbers on the facades. Save that for next door.

I have been pushing for a Greater Houston Area Football Hall of Fame (Pro, College, and HS, including coaches) as part of the Astrodome renovation - if it ever occurs. The only issues are 1) to work the overlap with the one up at Waco, and 2) to get anyone to listen.

Or you could expand it to other sports and develop a "Houston Legends Museum," to preserve and build on what we witnessed at Reliant Arena during Super Bowl Week.

I think that the first pass McNabb throws Dunta is going to intercept it and run it for a touchdown. :shades:
With Todd Pinkston and Jabar Gaffney as two of his top receivers, McNabb will be wishing he had TO back by Week 4.

edo783
07-25-2006, 09:43 AM
With Todd Pinkston and Jabar Gaffney as two of his top receivers, McNabb will be wishing he had TO back by Week 4.

Yup, week 4 of training camp!

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Nice history talk here but that was history... this is now.

Cannot wait until this game comes up. Eagles fan in Houston and I have been looking forward to this game when my Eagles come into town. Good luck to your team Texans. I think the Eagles will win big and keep your head up. Kubiak will be a great coach for you guys and the team will bounce back in a couple of years.

HOU-TEX
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Nice history talk here but that was history... this is now.

Cannot wait until this game comes up. Eagles fan in Houston and I have been looking forward to this game when my Eagles come into town. Good luck to your team Texans. I think the Eagles will win big and keep your head up. Kubiak will be a great coach for you guys and the team will bounce back in a couple of years.

I hope Gaffney works out for ya'll.:rofl:

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I hope Gaffney works out for ya'll.:rofl:

I think he will be alright. We needed a short pass WR badly to take the pressure off of Westbrook since he was out best WR/RB for that. He has one of the best hands in the NFL and he has been having a decent training camp. He may work out great in this system -- never know. I have seen plenty of players that were crappy in one system and a huge playmaker in another.

TransplantTexan1
07-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Never knew the Oilers/Texans are a combined 0-for-Life against the Eagles. Not too hard to believe, though, considering that for years the Oilers/Eagles only played (at the most) every three years and of course the Texans/Eagles haven't played since 2002.

I don't think the Eagles are as imposing, given their continued problems at WR. While I think Jabar still has the tools to be a solid receiver, Todd Pinkston has proven conclusiviely that he is unreliable and lacks toughness. I don't know how much more Reggie Brown will improve but Eagle Land is a bit optimistic still.

Given the Texans question marks in the secondary, it may be a wash, but I like the Texans to cause a bit of chaos just the same. The question I have is can the new look Texans OL deal with Eagle DC Jim Johnson's pressure defense?

Hookem Horns
07-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I think he will be alright. We needed a short pass WR badly to take the pressure off of Westbrook since he was out best WR/RB for that. He has one of the best hands in the NFL and he has been having a decent training camp. He may work out great in this system -- never know. I have seen plenty of players that were crappy in one system and a huge playmaker in another.

You originally from the Philly area?

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:03 PM
I think Reggie Brown will step up as a big playmaker for the Eagles. Look what he did last year as a rookie with who as QB???? MIKE MCMAHON! :thud: As for Pinkston, he gets open and is a deep threat but look out if the secondary is close... HA! LOL! They are saying Hank Baskett might give a nice run as trying to get a spot and has been balling out at camp..... but is it is camp.

Vinny
07-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I think he will be alright. We needed a short pass WR badly to take the pressure off of Westbrook since he was out best WR/RB for that. He has one of the best hands in the NFL and he has been having a decent training camp. He may work out great in this system -- never know. I have seen plenty of players that were crappy in one system and a huge playmaker in another.I think he will be dynamite in your short passing game. I think all his numbers shoot up this season. I'm gonna take him late in all my fantasy drafts because I think he will be very productive and under almost everyone's radar.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:04 PM
You originally from the Philly area?

Born across the state line in Delaware and raised in the Poconos of Pennsyltucky. Spent 5 years in SC and then got to Texas as quick as possible. :shades:

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I think he will be dynamite in your short passing game. I think all his numbers shoot up this season. I'm gonna take him late in all my fantasy drafts because I think he will be productive.

Love the avatar and DeMeco Ryans is a beast. Cannot wait to see him and Dunta Robinson on opening day.

El Tejano
07-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Gaffney may not've been the man here but then again that system made alot of people look bad. I hate that he left like that and talked smack about us but he wanted to be with a winner.

Vinny
07-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Gaffney may not've been the man here but then again that system made alot of people look bad. I hate that he left like that and talked smack about us but he wanted to be with a winner.He wasn't talking smack....I thought that was refuted here properly.

TEXANRED
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Gaffney may not've been the man here but then again that system made alot of people look bad. I hate that he left like that and talked smack about us but he wanted to be with a winner.
Then why did he go to the Eagles?

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Because the Eagles have been the most dominating team in the NFC in the last 6 years.

chuckm
07-27-2006, 01:26 PM

Because their WR corp is among the thinnest in the league ..... supply and demand IMO

M@DD Mike
07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
He probably figured the Eagles were the best team that he could make an impact on.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
He probably figured the Eagles were the best team that he could make an impact on.

Yeah, he can make a difference but are y'all forgetting that Lito Sheppard is his cousin and that they played in High School and at Florida together. He is only signed to a one-year contract. If he does not work out, he is gone but I think he will be just fine.

the wonger need food
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Because the Eagles have been the most dominating team in the NFC in the last 6 years.

Had been, maybe, but one Super Bowl appearance is far from dominant.

Currently, they're probably the weakest team in their division.

TransplantTexan1
07-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Lots of things probably factored but the Eagles offered $$$ he liked, they had/have a legit need at WR, and I suspect Jabar thinks that Andy Reid's scheme is conducive to his game.

I can't remember... did the Texans bother to match the Eagles' offer?

the wonger need food
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Lots of things probably factored but the Eagles offered $$$ he liked

He got around $1 million for one year, so there wasn't a whole lot of demand for him.

I'm pretty sure that the Texans had no interest in trying to re-sign him.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Because their WR corp is among the thinnest in the league ..... supply and demand IMO

Okie dokie then. LMAO! The average WR in the NFL is 6'1 199 pounds... that is usually how a WR is built. The Texans have some 6'2 194 pound WRs. Pinkston is one hell of a skinny WR but he is a good #2.

infantrycak
07-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Lots of things probably factored but the Eagles offered $$$ he liked, they had/have a legit need at WR, and I suspect Jabar thinks that Andy Reid's scheme is conducive to his game.

Jabar got a minimal one year contract with no signing bonus. There were no reports of the Texans extending him any offer.

chuckm
07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Okie dokie then. LMAO! The average WR in the NFL is 6'1 199 pounds... that is usually how a WR is built. The Texans have some 6'2 194 pound WRs. Pinkston is one hell of a skinny WR but he is a good #2.

wrong definition of thinnest ........

from www.dictionary.com ....

1) Relatively small in extent from one surface to the opposite, usually in the smallest solid dimension: a thin book.

2) Not great in diameter or cross section; fine: thin wire.

3) Lean or slender in form, build, or stature.

4) Not dense or concentrated; sparse: the thin vegetation of the plateau.
More rarefied than normal: thin air.

5) Flowing with relative ease; not viscous: a thin oil.

6) Watery: thin soup.

7) Sparsely supplied or provided; scanty: a thin menu; thin trading.

8) Lacking force or substance; flimsy: a thin attempt.

let's go with door #7 Monte ...

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Had been, maybe, but one Super Bowl appearance is far from dominant.

Currently, they're probably the weakest team in their division.

Who says? THE MEDIA? The same ones that said in 2005 that the Steelers will not make the playoffs and that the Colts will win it all? Do not believe the media. I did not say they were the most dominant in the NFL -- I said NFC. How many NFC Championships were they in consecutively? Exactly. Just because of last year's fiasco, they are a much better team than they were in 2004... on paper. Their D is beefed up a lot and they have more depth then they ever had in the last 10 years -- last year's injury problem took care of that. Nine pro bowlers out last year along with 12 guys out in the IR for most of the year.... no team in history could survive something like that. You never know what can happen during a season... it can always sway one way or another.

Ryan
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
i was alive but i was like 4 months old during that game so i wouldnt remember

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:42 PM
wrong definition of thinnest ........

from www.dictionary.com ....

1) Relatively small in extent from one surface to the opposite, usually in the smallest solid dimension: a thin book.

2) Not great in diameter or cross section; fine: thin wire.

3) Lean or slender in form, build, or stature.

4) Not dense or concentrated; sparse: the thin vegetation of the plateau.
More rarefied than normal: thin air.

5) Flowing with relative ease; not viscous: a thin oil.

6) Watery: thin soup.

7) Sparsely supplied or provided; scanty: a thin menu; thin trading.

8) Lacking force or substance; flimsy: a thin attempt.

let's go with door #7 Monte ...

Yeah, there are no big names in the WR department but I really think Reggie Brown will be a great playmaker for them this year. The guy reminds me of Chad Johnson a lot with his playing ability. I think they will be okay. They know how to spread the ball around a lot, better than any other team, and having two really good tight-ends is really going to help.

the wonger need food
Who says? THE MEDIA?

No... the wonger.

TEXANRED
It was a joke. I was implying that the Eagles were not any good.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
No... the wonger.

Well, I think a lot of people will be surprised and there is one thing that I really love about this upcoming season --- we are the underdogs once again and there is no other place I would rather be. It takes a lot of the pressure off.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
It was a joke. I was implying that the Eagles were not any good.

Yeah, heard the same thing every year in the last 6 years. :tease:

TransplantTexan1
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
LOL @ the last ten or so posts!!

the wonger need food
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah, heard the same thing every year in the last 6 years. :tease:

Unless Harold Charmichael and Mike Quick decide to come out of retirement you guys are hurting at WR. If Westbrook can stay healthy he'll probably be your best receiver.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Unless Harold Charmichael and Mike Quick decide to come out of retirement you guys are hurting at WR. If Westbrook can stay healthy he'll probably be your best receiver.

Yeah, that would be nice. lol Like I said, Reggie Brown broke out nicely last year as a rookie and McMahon was throwing him the ball. What do you think a healthy McNabb is going to do? I think Brown will be a great playmaker. Plus, we never had a big name WR this decade except for Owens (we didn't have him very long) and we still made it to the NFC Champ games. Owens was out for the end of 2004 and all throughout the playoffs, remember? Who got them through all of that? Remember all of the media saying that Philly was done after Owens got hurt? Who stepped up? Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell! LMAO! Wow!

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that would be nice. lol Like I said, Reggie Brown broke out nicely last year as a rookie and McMahon was throwing him the ball. What do you think a healthy McNabb is going to do? I think Brown will be a great playmaker. Plus, we never had a big name WR this decade except for Owens (we didn't have him very long) and we still made it to the NFC Champ games. Owens was out for the end of 2004 and all throughout the playoffs, remember? Who got them through all of that? Remember all of the media saying that Philly was done after Owens got hurt? Who stepped up? Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell! LMAO! Wow!

The eagles had their chance and now it's all down hill. They are getting older and have no depth. I don't see them as being a serious contender for another 3-4 years.

the wonger need food
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM

Well, outside of your own division you have one of the easiest schedules. I would put the over/under at 8.5. Probably not enough to make the playoffs, but better than last year.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
The eagles had their chance and now it's all down hill. They are getting older and have no depth. I don't see them as being a serious contender for another 3-4 years.

They never had depth until this year. Check out their depth chart... looking sweet. NFL ACCESS, ESPN, and the mediaheads (which I cannot stand) are even saying that the Eagles have the nicest depth this year in the NFC. They have a pro bowl backup QB, Trent Cole (which is a beast) on D, and so many talented players on depth. That is their strong point this year -- last year it was their weakness. They are getting stronger and stronger and this is the best team they have had in years -- on paper. We will see how it pans out with injuries and strength of schedule. lol

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, outside of your own division you have one of the easiest schedules. I would put the over/under at 8.5. Probably not enough to make the playoffs, but better than last year.

10-6 (11-5 if healthy) and make playoffs but I hate making predictions because you never know with injuries and such. The last half of the schedule is really tough and looks a little scary but hopefully the momentum will be on their side. Hope.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-27-2006, 02:04 PM
They never had depth until this year. Check out their depth chart... looking sweet. NFL ACCESS, ESPN, and the mediaheads (which I cannot stand) are even saying that the Eagles have the nicest depth this year in the NFC. They have a pro bowl backup QB, Trent Cole (which is a beast) on D, and so many talented players on depth. That is their strong point this year -- last year it was their weakness. They are getting stronger and stronger and this is the best team they have had in years -- on paper. We will see how it pans out with injuries and strength of schedule. lol

well i am a titans fan so i dont have much room to talk. its hard to tell how good a team is if they had no injuries (e.g. the Titans in '04, we had 13/22 starters injured). So in all reality i guess i dont know how good the eagles really are

19-10
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself and I'm a lifetime Houstonian and bled the Columbia Blue. BUT....That is OVER. Steel Blue running through these veins now and hate the Titans just a little more than the Star up north. We beat Philly on 9/10!!!

Hookem Horns
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Born across the state line in Delaware and raised in the Poconos of Pennsyltucky. Spent 5 years in SC and then got to Texas as quick as possible. :shades:

Del a where? I lived in Wilmington for about 10 years. Went to many games at the Vet. Also skied the icey slopes of the Poconos. Funny thing is I too moved to SC before coming back to Texas. I lived in Greenville for a short period of time before coming back home to Texas.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Del a where? I lived in Wilmington for about 10 years. Went to many games at the Vet. Also skied the icey slopes of the Poconos. Funny thing is I too moved to SC before coming back to Texas. I lived in Greenville for a short period of time before coming back home to Texas.

Very cool. Ah, the roads we take. Everyone on this board is very cool and glad I finally came in here.

Also, would like to say good luck in the upcoming season. Hope I can hit up a Texans game other than the Eagles one later this year. Always have a great time.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 06:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhoeXZ1smTbF8Vv2vvXPcNZDubYF?slug=cr-eagles072606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

damn talking heads. LOL!

BigDTexansFan
07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
for those you enjoying this stroll down memory lane, your ol buddy Johnny McClain says look for Chronic Sunday for Warren Moon special feature. I hear Johnny is trying to make Vince his godson so he can brag on him legitimately, we already know he wishes he and Buddy Backdoor were brothers. Man I wish we had sent John up to write about space shuttle and maybe slipped someone a $5 to have him jettisoned.:stirpot:

the wonger need food
07-27-2006, 06:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhoeXZ1smTbF8Vv2vvXPcNZDubYF?slug=cr-eagles072606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

damn talking heads. LOL!

Can you summarize for us? That's way too much to read... especially from some East Coast hack that's never been West of Ohio.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
07-27-2006, 07:53 PM
for those you enjoying this stroll down memory lane, your ol buddy Johnny McClain Man I wish we had sent John up to write about space shuttle and maybe slipped someone a $5 to have him jettisoned.:stirpot:

Where do we send donations?

HoustonFan
07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Damn, the Eagles. It's 2006. We're gonna beat 'em down. I look for Philly to get ran over in Texas - from in Houston and in Dallas. Sure the eagles had a better record than we did last season. And who didn't??? But they didn't make the playoffs either. We'll beat those broads from Philly.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Damn, the Eagles. It's 2006. We're gonna beat 'em down. I look for Philly to get ran over in Texas - from in Houston and in Dallas. Sure the eagles had a better record than we did last season. And who didn't??? But they didn't make the playoffs either. We'll beat those broads from Philly.

LMAO! Totally different team man. Nine pro bowlers out and the average of 12 / 13 guys out on the IR all year. It was a team plagued by injuries. Teams go through it and bounce back... look at the Panthers and the Patriots. They went through it the last few years. It's all good but if you think the Eagles will get "beat down" by the Texans and the Cowboys. You have some serious reality issues but good luck to you.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2006, 09:50 PM
It's all good but if you think the Eagles will get "beat down" by the Texans and the Cowboys. You have some serious reality issues but good luck to you.

Not the Cowboys. Most of us root for the Iggles at least twice a year.

You will be beat down by the Texans but if you don't beat down the Cowgirls twice every year for eternity, then you don't deserve to have a team at all.

And you know it.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Can you summarize for us? That's way too much to read... especially from some East Coast hack that's never been West of Ohio.

Dude, no reason to name call and be a jerk. I live in Houston. I have been all over the States.

flylikeaneagle
07-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Not the Cowboys. Most of us root for the Iggles at least twice a year.

You will be beat down by the Texans but if you don't beat down the Cowgirls twice every year for eternity, then you don't deserve to have a team at all.

And you know it.

We will split with them this year but I would love to beat them twice this year and knock Owens head off.

BigDTexansFan
07-28-2006, 01:53 AM
We will split with them this year but I would love to beat them twice this year and knock Owens head off.

do you study your opponents AT ALL, Dallas has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese.

TK_Gamer
07-28-2006, 03:57 AM
I didn't start this thread so I don't have any control over what forums these things appear. Talk to a moderator and have it moved..... although with your prediction of a Texans victory over the Eagles in Week 1, and the rest of the Texans - Eagles content here, I'd argue that it should probably stay put. Although if you keep bringing up the Cowboys, we'll have to ask you to take it next door.

Ive learned to eagerly await your insights on this board, and respect them most of the time but I gotta cry foul on this one. you claim you have a right to quote and lament oiler history here because "this is a houston/nfl message board" but check the top of the page it says Houston Texans . com. then check the room. yer in the "Texans" Bullpen. not the NFL room. and if someone wants to ask you or anyone else to stop or take it to another room. IMHO they are perfectly within thier right. my :twocents:

flylikeaneagle
07-28-2006, 04:16 AM
do you study your opponents AT ALL, Dallas has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese.

Hope you are right but Parcells is a good coach and they have some great talent this year. I wish Witten was on my team... that rat *****! LOL!!

aj.
07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
I gotta cry foul on this one. you claim you have a right to quote and lament oiler history here because "this is a houston/nfl message board" but check the top of the page it says Houston Texans . com. then check the room. yer in the "Texans" Bullpen. not the NFL room. and if someone wants to ask you or anyone else to stop or take it to another room. IMHO they are perfectly within thier right. my :twocents:

Like I said, I didn't start this thread. Someone else did and I chimed in because it was one of those Pavlovian things and I assumed I was perfectly within my right to do so. If the mods deem content inappropriate for this forum let them move it to NFL Forum. PM them - get 'em to move it, whatever. They move threads all the time. That makes no difference to me or probably anyone else. This thread obviously was a hybrid from the get-go. A Houston professional football team has never beaten the Eagles.

My main point was that long time Houston pro football fans should be able to talk Houston pro football history on Houston's official pro football message board. There's a lot of rich history here and although it doesn't come up that often, when it does, people want to talk about it. It's like talking about your kids who have grown up and moved on. Others who want to deny that history are perfectly within their right to do so, especially if they're not from here or rooted for another team back then. So there you have it.

Back to the Eaglets.

TEXANRED
07-28-2006, 08:51 AM
My best friends are from Philly so I have, out of courtesy, rooted for the Eagles. I feel I have to b/c he and his wife has sat through every game with me for the past four years and even all four drafts.

However, the other day I got a pic of Mario (the one of him looking mean with his head down walking off the field) and I told them-I hope McNabb goes to church b/c he is going to need Jesus on Sept 10, 2006.

And on another note, how do you get swept by the Cowboys? C'mon. At least win at home!

Fly Eagles Fly!:hunter: :shoot: