PDA

View Full Version : What was the downfall of the 2005 Texans?

Wolf
07-22-2006, 11:59 PM
what do you think was the downfall?

Wolf
07-23-2006, 12:02 AM
oops forgot an "All of the above on that "

reason I start this is because it seems like Carr is the one taking the blame. Now I know that is normal for any team the QB is the focal point, but just gettting feelers out

dat_boy_yec
07-23-2006, 12:10 AM
I put caper's loyalty, but then again so was the whole Pendry/Palmer offense, the D- schemes. The loosing of players shouldn't be attributed like that, I mean we could have gotten better replacements or whatnot. So I really can't see them leaving being the problem. I think the problem was that we didn't bring in anybody that could fill their shoes half way decently.

Scooter
07-23-2006, 12:16 AM
most of the above and then some

pendry proved useless as a line coach, however, capers' loyalty lead him to getting promoted anyways. capers' inability to be a head coach lead to the offense being called by a defensive coordinator (capers himself), and a provenly weak DC (fangio) being given free reign on defense (a read & react 3-4? that's just dumb). the scheme on both sides of the ball were flawed before training camp started each year because of the wrong people being in charge of them. i'm willing to bet that if capers were DC, palmers OC, and we had no head coach that we would've been better off ... instead, all sides were stifled. 2005 is also rumored to have thrown away the entire texans playbook 2 weeks before the first game. the scouting department has been very suspect, and the contracts given are simply rediculous. our first round pick was a project, and not expected to make much of an impact (and obviously didnt). our free agency was pathetic - victor riley?!?! what usually holds teams together despite these overwhelming flaws, is veteran leadership on the field, which disappeared entirely with the loss of glenn & sharper. myself & many others were saying this before 05, we were doomed before the first kickoff.

and i could go on...

edited for clarity.

jerek
07-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Pendry and Fangio, with some blame going to Capers for not having the cajones to can them both (or ignorance to put them in charge.)

Coleman should have been sat. Cutting Sharper and Glenn IMO ahead of the need to do so hurt us also.

Texansfan36
07-23-2006, 12:26 AM
I think it was the coaching staff plain and simple.

Hardcore Texan
07-23-2006, 12:33 AM
I have not voted yet, because what I think is not an option on the list. Which is basically Capers could not put a winning team on the field to include overseeing Fangio and Pendry. Maybe I should choose the "Capers was too Loyal" option.

We had no offense, unless 1, 2, 3, punt is an offense. We had no defense, wrong culture, no offensive line, schemes were in the toilet. Everyone in the stadium new what the next play was going to be. We were to easy to shutdown because we were one dimensional. The coaching staff failed to motivate the players, everyone was going through the motions. Didn't play with enough heart or mental toughness.

Oh yeah, and we didn't execute! :brickwall

TexanFan881
07-23-2006, 01:26 AM
I think Pendry was the most obvious answer. When they stop him from calling the shots our offense puts up amazing numbers and points and all of a sudden he's got to call the second half and we lose the whole lead and lose. Sure, the bad coaching didn't help, but David showed he's a better play caller than Pendry and just Pendry's play calling cost us a few games.

WiiBrawler
07-23-2006, 01:30 AM
I would say losing Glenn and Sharper, we needed veteran leaders for such a young defense, but then again, we had Gary Walker and Seth Payne,Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper were the Heart and Soul of our defense

AFD1717
07-23-2006, 11:12 AM
I really think it was the conflicting styles and schemes, but Capers being to loyal is pretty close to that.

HoustonFan
07-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Capers' loyalty. The coaching changes should have been made in the off-season. Losing Sharper and Glenn was a big factor as well.

Sitting here watching Total Access, and of course they show Mr. Harvard of the Rams engineering the worst come back in Texans' history - and alot of the horrible come backs came from last season, I personally think some of those games were thrown.

*Optimism speaking "It can't get any worse than last season."

cj5776
07-24-2006, 01:10 AM
I know no one wants to hear this but I think the owner brought the mess on himself, because he gave way too much control to Capers. Just a rookie owner going through some growing pains, and it does not matter because it is in the past and the future is looking so bright it scares me. Plus, to me the real bottom line is simply,.. building a team from the ground up is a tough process. Fours years ago if you would have told me the Texans would have 17 wins in 4 years, and be in the shape it is now, I would have been totally ok with that.

TexanSam
07-24-2006, 01:16 AM
There's no "All of the above" so I chose Capers' loyalty because it's the closest thing. Capers kept Fangio when he shouldn't have. Same with Palmer and Pendry. Now it's not all the coaches fault, but I think it was more them than the players.

swtbound07
07-24-2006, 01:17 AM
I'll take David Carr. All the pieces in the world wont make a puzzle if the main one just doesn't fit.

thegr8fan
07-24-2006, 01:32 AM
well lets see, at the beginning of the season everyone was calling for Chris Palmers head as HE was the problem. so he resigns and we go on to win a whole whopping 2 game afterwards. so was HE the problem, or not?

seems everyone and everything on this team has been changed except for the prima donna QB.

are we out of body's and excuses NOW or can we lay the blame where it belongs? Carr and McNair are the problem. McNair for having too much faith in Carr and Carr for not having the ability to get it done on Sunday's.

Now were they the ONLY problems with the Texans, nope. But they were the MAIN problem with the Texans.

Carr is on his 3rd OC in only 5 season's. Coincidence? I don't think so.

LORK 88
07-24-2006, 01:53 AM
I couldnt decide between our horrible matchup problem on offense or our defense being so passive, so ill just go ahead and say all of the coaches and the front office. I also dont think you can blame Carr for the reason we've had 3 OCs the past 4 years, so I wont throw Carr out there until he actually gets a chance to suceed.

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2006, 01:54 AM
well lets see, at the beginning of the season everyone was calling for Chris Palmers head as HE was the problem. so he resigns and we go on to win a whole whopping 2 game afterwards. so was HE the problem, or not?

Well, 2 games is better than 0. The thing that didn't make sense to me at the time was your problem is with your offensive line, the OC leaves, and you replace him with your line coach (which is the suspect area of the team.) Huh? Where is the logic in that? I think there were problems all through that old coaching staff and the way things were working (or not working...)

Re: Prima Donna comment: I don't live in Houston anymore and so I don't see the media coverage of the team y'all do... but I've never, ever seen Carr as a prima donna. If he was a prima donna, he'd be pointing fingers at everyone else on the team. He'd be screaming about his line and how his receivers drop his passes. He'd have all sorts of excuses for his lack of performance and he'd be asking to be traded. I haven't seen anything like that. I think he's acted with class in a very difficult situation.

But that's just me.

cj5776
07-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Carr is on his 3rd OC in only 5 season's. Coincidence? I don't think so.

So having sub average receivers to throw to and a playbook that was out of the stone age was the fault of Carr?

Of his previous two OCs only one has a job, if you call manageing bus driver QBs a job, good luck TO

Honch Delgado
07-24-2006, 02:03 AM
All of the above, and you forgot to include Charlie in the equation.

Hutch13
07-24-2006, 03:05 AM
I think everything was. Our coaching was awful. Our o-line were playing like a bunch of pee wee football players. But im just glad its over and now we can root for :mario:

ensign_lee
07-24-2006, 03:39 AM
I'm going to choose right when everything started to fall apart: releasing Sharper and Glenn. I remember thinking "awesome. Now, we have Glenn and Dunta, with PBurnt being able to learn from these guys and maybe making an impact later" and then later thinking "WHAA???? We RELEASED GlenN????"

And then I was like this: :francis: :challenge

And then the Texans were like this for the rest of the year: :crutch:

And then I was like this. :crying:

powerfuldragon
07-24-2006, 09:55 AM
i think that losing sharper and glenn started the spiral.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
i think that losing sharper and glenn started the spiral.

I agree with this, but you have to realize who made the decision to release them. Coaching staff and CC!! I think we would've released them eventually due to age, just not that soon. Glenn ended up having a decent year and I think Sharper got hurt and had his job taken away by Tatupu. I also think we paid too much for Greenwood.:twocents: