PDA

View Full Version : Saint to release FS Smith

TommyS
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2525154

this guy could be a solid pick up. veteran safety. thoughts?

El Tejano
07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I believe we mad a bid for this guy a while back. Looks like we could go for him and possibly get him without sacrificing anything.

However, I wont get too happy. Other teams seem to always outbid us or be more attractive and Kubiak seems happy with what we got ( I don't know why).

He also seems to have made himself look like a bad locker room guy. I don't think Mcnair will go for that.

However, he has playoff/Super Bowl experience and possesses way more than any of the the guys we got .

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Saints overloaded at safety (http://saints.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/super-saints-weekly-209-3/)

Defensively the safety position appears to be just as cluttered as the receiver position is on offense. Payton and staff have been acquiring safeties since arriving in New Orleans. By far this is the deepest position on defense and one that will force players to fight for roster spots. With players like Smith, Bellamy, Bullocks, Scott, Stoutmire, Gleason, and rookie Roman Harper, the battle appears set to be a tough one. While Dwight Smith has been in many trade rumors, he continues to work with the team and unless somebody makes the right offer, he will likely remain in contention to start.

This is the write up (http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2005-07-26/feat2.php) that Smith received just after his free agency aquisition by the Saints in 2005:

Saints fans have had four years to get a good look at safety DWIGHT SMITH -- arguably the franchise's biggest pick-up in the offseason -- who has played for NFC South rival Tampa Bay through his entire NFL career. With Smith, the Saints hope they have an athletic, fierce playmaker in the defensive secondary, a force that's been missing since the departure of Sammy Knight in 2003. Also, Smith brings a Super Bowl ring to the Saints, which management hopes brings that intangible quality of a winning attitude to the locker room. In Super Bowl XXXVII, Smith became the first player in NFL history to return two interceptions for touchdowns during the championship game, making flashy runs of 44 and 50 yards.

Known for hard hits and superb cover skills, Smith (5-foot-10, 201 pounds) is expected to be a starter on opening day in the free safety slot. Smith started his last 32 games for Tampa Bay after playing college ball at Akron and last season recorded a career-high 104 tackles. Smith was signed to a five-year contract worth $15 million, with perhaps the only question mark coming from two arrests on weapon charges. A conviction in 2002 for pulling a gun on a motorist brought anger-management classes, probation and fines. Charges were dropped subsequent to an arrest this March following an incident in which two fans approached Smith in a fast-food parking lot and alleged that Smith pointed a pellet gun at them.

Smith was considered by many to be the best free safety in this year's free-agency pool, but the arrests could have dampened his marketability. This move helps the Saints on several fronts: it removes the glaring (and expensive) disappointment of Tebucky Jones from the roster and adds a playmaker to the secondary while also removing one from a division rival. It won't help, though, if Smith makes more headlines off the field.

Further clarification of the BB gun incident (http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid15226.aspx)
BB-gun shootings by athletes take place about once a year and are generally a collegiate offense directly connected to massive alcohol consumption. Pro athletes, however, have also been known to dabble. The most heralded BB-gun offender in this country is probably former Tampa Bay defensive back Dwight Smith, he of two Super Bowl interceptions for touchdowns. Some years back, Smith allegedly pulled a BB gun on a motorist in the drive-through lane of a McDonald’s. Smith’s BB gun was the firearm version of the Patch; he was using a substitute after having been arrested for pulling a nine-millimeter pistol on a motorist years before.

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 02:11 PM
He's going to be moderately expensive, but definitely an uprade over what we currently have.

Let's hope our Tampa connection (Kyle Shanahan) can help us sign this guy.

ArlingtonTexan
07-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Smith would be a quality pick up and better at this point in his career would be better than either starting safety.

TexansSeminole
07-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I would not mind picking him up, inserting him into the FS position, and have Earl and CC fight for the SS spot.

kcwilson
07-20-2006, 03:46 PM
The disturbing part of this story is that multiple teams pursued him with New Orleans as part of a trade and somehow straight up releasing him seemed to be the best option.

Maybe throwing a late round pick to them at this point is more appetizing than nothing. At this point, adding a playmaker at the SS position would be wonderful, and worth the character issues in my opinion.

El Tejano
07-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Well that BB gun stuff could never be pulled in Houston. You pull a gun over there, that thing better be real and it better be loaded or your going to have five pointing right back at you.

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Maybe the coaches really do feel good about the secondary and we will just stand pat. No doubt Smith is an upgrade, but there are a lot of other factors that we are not privy to.

“We actually felt like that’s kind of a strength of our football team. We were a little worried at safety about three weeks ago and then we were able to sign Michael Stone from New England, so that helped us." - Gary Kubiak (day after the draft)

kcwilson
07-20-2006, 04:26 PM
I read about Stone's profile, and seems like he is big and athletic, but is dogged for always being a step late due to a lack of football instinct.

Seems to be the same critique for everyone, but why does bringing in a guy with 37 career tackles in 50 games 'solidify' what we are doing.

Ceandris Brown (just wanted to use his real name after finding it out) is solid, as is Earl, but having a high quality S like Smith instantly makes this defense better for the next 3 - 4 years (whatever is left on the contract).

After Stone, we rely on Walker? Lord? Simmons? Simmons is undersized and Lord is athletic but not savvy. I think if we have the cap space, we go after an area on the team that could be a solid component for years to come.

South Texan
07-20-2006, 04:32 PM
It appears he has the talent to be an upgrade, but with the attitude he seems to have I think McNair would be a bit hesitant to go out on a limb for him.

Insideop
07-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Known for hard hits and superb cover skills, Smith (5-foot-10, 201 pounds) is expected to be a starter on opening day in the free safety slot. Smith started his last 32 games for Tampa Bay after playing college ball at Akron and last season recorded a career-high 104 tackles. Smith was signed to a five-year contract worth $15 million, with perhaps the only question mark coming from two arrests on weapon charges. A conviction in 2002 for pulling a gun on a motorist brought anger-management classes, probation and fines. Charges were dropped subsequent to an arrest this March following an incident in which two fans approached Smith in a fast-food parking lot and alleged that Smith pointed a pellet gun at them.

I'd be surprised if McNair and Kubes go after this guy with his bad off the field background. But, you never know!:shrug:

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I read about Stone's profile, and seems like he is big and athletic, but is dogged for always being a step late due to a lack of football instinct.

Seems to be the same critique for everyone, but why does bringing in a guy with 37 career tackles in 50 games 'solidify' what we are doing.

Ceandris Brown (just wanted to use his real name after finding it out) is solid, as is Earl, but having a high quality S like Smith instantly makes this defense better for the next 3 - 4 years (whatever is left on the contract).

After Stone, we rely on Walker? Lord? Simmons? Simmons is undersized and Lord is athletic but not savvy. I think if we have the cap space, we go after an area on the team that could be a solid component for years to come.

Stone is a 2nd round (2001) safety that never started a game until last year. The guy couldn't get a start with the friggin' Cardinals in 4 seasons. That doesn't sound very solid to me...

swtbound07
07-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Stone is a 2nd round (2001) safety that never started a game until last year. The guy couldn't get a start with the friggin' Cardinals in 4 seasons. That doesn't sound very solid to me...

In Kubiak We Trust right?

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 05:13 PM
In Kubiak We Trust right?

For now...

Porky
07-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I think they need to do their due dillegence, but talent wise, this is a no-brainer. It all depends on whether or not the character issues outweigh the potential play on the field, because he would give us a legit FS for the first time in our history. Maybe not pro-bowl caliber, but the guy has been a solid starting free safety, which makes one ask, why did N.O. just dump him like that?

infantrycak
07-20-2006, 05:48 PM
because he would give us a legit FS for the first time in our history.

We had a solid FS in Marlon McCree. The brain trust of talent evaluators let him go--he wasn't good enough to start for us, but he was good enough to start for the #3 D last year and has been signed to upgrade the #13 D.

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
We had a solid FS in Marlon McCree. The brain trust of talent evaluators let him go--he wasn't good enough to start for us, but he was good enough to start for the #3 D last year and has been signed to upgrade the #13 D.

Kenny Wright started for a pretty good defense last season also.

TexansJunkE
07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
From day one we've lacked a good free safety. Earl and Smith would be a good tandem in the secondary. I'm all for it, comptition if nothing else. Doubt it will happen though.

Coach C.
07-20-2006, 07:21 PM
D. Smith is not likely to get a look from the Texans. The guy is a good safety, but we have two young guys that have shown adequate flashes when healthy. With work Hoke and Smith feel that the safety position will get better. Smith will likely end up on a team that is lacking a true starting or legitimate backup FS. Look for him to maybe land around Tampa, San Diego, Baltimore, or even Pittsburgh.

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Smith will likely end up on a team that is lacking a true starting or legitimate backup FS.

See Houston Texans

He will likely go to the highest bidder and is probably the best reasonably priced free agent on the market right now.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
D. Smith is not likely to get a look from the Texans. The guy is a good safety, but we have two young guys that have shown adequate flashes when healthy. With work Hoke and Smith feel that the safety position will get better. Smith will likely end up on a team that is lacking a true starting or legitimate backup FS. Look for him to maybe land around Tampa, San Diego, Baltimore, or even Pittsburgh.

I doubt that Tampa considers his return, since that's where he originated and was not retained.

bigbrewster2000
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Kenny Wright started for a pretty good defense last season also.
Yep and he sucked something feirce.

Porky
07-20-2006, 08:22 PM

In fairness, the Jags also let Mcree go, but I am definately in agreement with your overall point.

Hutch13
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I think we gotta go after this guy, we really need help in our secondary and he would big a big upgrade at FS.

TexanFan881
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm happy with who we have. CC is going to be amazing this year, just watch. Earl will be solid. I'm more concered about a #2 CB. Ty Law! Ty Law! :party:

infantrycak
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
In fairness, the Jags also let Mcree go, but I am definately in agreement with your overall point.

True--weird three way quasi trade. The Panthers released a player Del Rio was familiar with and wanted so the Jags claimed him and released McCree. We claimed McCree and waived Travaris Tillman. The Panthers then claimed Tillman. When we let McCree go the Panthers signed him.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Having surfed Saints boards, there is majority surprise and dismay and disbelief that Smith was released. Most feel that he was definitely starter material in both FS AND SS position. Speculation was problems with the new staff following his "demotion." Although outwardly, Smith acted professionally and the staff commended him for it, some with inside contacts said that he was quite vocal in the locker room about his demotion and essentially made it known "play me or trade me." It is said the staff publicly commended Smith on his good attitude following his demotion in order to avoid destroying his trade value. Across the board it was felt that he was definitely trade worthy......with a pick, and should not have been released. Cap numbers had nothing to do with his being cut. It was felt that they did have a good deal of potential replacements, but no one that could guarantee proven solid start material like Smith.............Just FYI

Lucky
07-20-2006, 11:11 PM
I think we gotta go after this guy, we really need help in our secondary and he would big a big upgrade at FS.
He would be. For this season, anyway. But Smith lost close to $10 million in salary and future bonuses. And I'm certain that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, will be looking to recoup that. At least.

I think that Brown could develop into a nice FS (or SS). Plus,there seems to be a lot of depth at that position in the '07 draft. I'm not sure that getting into a bidding war for Smith is in the Texans long-term interests.

TexanFan881
07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
All signs point to Smith being a no go.

1.) Kubes said he feels comfortable with our secondary
2.) We passed on DBs for a reason in the draft
3.) Signing will put us close on cap depending on how much he wants
4.) CC Brown has been developing well so far this offseason
5.) There's 31 other teams out there that have a shot at getting him
6.) He has past problems with the law

the wonger need food
07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
My money is on Dallas. He seems like a good fit there.

Vikings | Team showing interest in D. Smith
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:04:28 -0700

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) said several teams already have shown interest in him. He mentioned the Minnesota Vikings as one of those teams.

Cowboys | Team showing interest in D. Smith
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:03:56 -0700

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) said several teams already have shown interest in him. He mentioned the Dallas Cowboys as one of those teams.

Raiders | Team showing interest in D. Smith
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:02:54 -0700

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) said several teams already have shown interest in him. He mentioned the Oakland Raiders as one of those teams.

Buccaneers | Team showing interest in D. Smith
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:00:27 -0700

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) said the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have shown an interest in signing him.

real
07-21-2006, 09:45 AM
5.) There's 31 other teams out there that have a shot at getting him

ahem...30....now back to your regularly scheduled program...:tease:

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I previously commented that the Bucs would not be interested in him since they were the ones originally who released him. The Times-Picayune reports otherwise. This interest would make me feel that Smith must indeed have perceived potential that overshadows the problems that led to his break with the Bucs .:

Smith said several teams already have shown interest, including Tampa Bay, where he played four seasons. He also mentioned Minnesota, Oakland and Dallas.

The Saints will save Smith's salary of $1.2 million against the salary cap this year. He was scheduled to earn salaries of $1.6 million, $2.5 million and $3.5 million over the following three seasons. The team will still be charged the remainder of his $3.5 million signing bonus over the next two years.

Smith (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-24/115346176275740.xml&coll=1)

El Tejano
07-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Of course, we can't get him. He's proven he can play in this league.

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2006, 06:51 PM
The St. Petersburg Times report this interview with Smith.....this leads me to believe that 1) Smith is "worth it" and 2)the Bucs are the front runner.:

Ex-Buc ponders a return to Tampa
By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
Published July 21, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Safety Dwight Smith said Thursday he wouldn't mind returning to the Bucs.

The New Orleans Saints informed Smith's agent Drew Rosenhaus they plan to release the five-year veteran immediately.

After just one year with the Saints, the team tried unsuccessfully to trade Smith, one of their better defenders in 2005.

The Bucs are among the teams expected to pursue Smith as a free agent. Tampa Bay had discussions with the Saints about a possible trade prior to the draft last April but never pulled the trigger on the deal.

The Bucs would like to improve their safety position. Jermaine Phillips and Will Allen are penciled in as starters, and the team lost Dexter Jackson to the Bengals in free agency.

But Phillips has been plagued by injuries, missing 12 games in the last three seasons.

Smith said Thursday night he was glad the Saints decided to release him even if most teams report to training camp next week.

"I'll have to wait and see," Smith said. "Yeah, I mean if they're not going to play me, I appreciate them letting me go. I'm playing to make a Pro Bowl and not just a check. Hopefully, something will happen soon."

When asked if he would have a problem returning to the Bucs, Smith said, "Nah, not at all. I'd come back for sure."

The Bucs certainly can afford Smith. Tampa Bay is about $8-million below the salary cap, general manager Bruce Allen said earlier this week.

Smith, 27, signed a five-year, $15-million deal with the Saints that included a $3.5-million signing bonus. The four years remaining on his contract were for reasonable base salaries of $1.2-million in 2006, $1.6-million in '07, $2.5-million in '08 and $3.5-million in '09. As a free agent, Smith can negotiate a new contract.

Smith would give the Bucs more depth and flexibility in their secondary. He began his career as a cornerback before moving to safety. In 49 starts, Smith has 14 career interceptions. He returned two interceptions for touchdowns in Super Bowl XXXVII.
link (http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/21/Bucs/Ex_Buc_ponders_a_retu.shtml)

Coach C.
07-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I tried to tell you that Cloak. Hopefully you will listen to me next time.:) :) joking...

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I tried to tell you that Cloak. Hopefully you will listen to me next time.:) :) joking...

"You belly smart ferrow"--Confucius:highfive: