PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Texans Chick

Ibar_Harry
07-20-2006, 05:21 AM
I listened to McClain the other night on the Chronicle Web Site and he is so enthused that he's going to even start blogging again. Why that is a new one for certain. I bet someone has been ringing his door bell.

Your writings have been far superior to anything put out by Justice and McClain. You should be one proud lady. I suspect someone is lighting a fire under McClain and he is feeling the heat. That's my personal take on what he said. It was just too obvious.

I hope the Texans will allow you to participate in the TC activities. You have certainly earned the right. Its nice to see someone actually trying to come up with new material and explore every nook and cranny at their disposal. I would hope all of your board members will call the Texans and put in a kind word for you. We need someone with an obvious bias to explain how things are going.

Best of luck and let the fun begin and be careful on how you use that hat pen on Justice and McClain. So far, they have no idea what hit them.

Texan Asylum
07-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Texans Chick for Mayor!!! :yahoo: Seriously, why stop there...Lookout Austin, here she comes!!!:superman: Keep up the good work.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 09:16 AM
TC, McClain is probably glued to his computer for your every next blog, in anticipation of using your well thought out writings in a cut and paste for his next appearance..........Keep up the great work!

nunusguy
07-20-2006, 09:27 AM
TC does write some good stuff. Let's hope her own success isn't what does
her in as my impression is she is contributing gratis while other "professionals" at the Chronicle may complain that's its their livelihood.
IMO Megan Manfull is a talented writer who just needs to develope a little more knowledge about football. Maybe she could have a "ladies night out" some time with TC, who seems to be pretty knowledgeable for, whoops, had to bite my tongue, almost said it.
But "Hollywood" McClain is not an accomplished journalist and you'd think he would have polished his skills as a writer given all the decades he's been in the business. And I'd like to see him deliver a few scoops now and then.
Notice it was ESPN and not the Chronicle who broke yesterdays story about
the Spencer signing.
But I like to listen to McClain on SR 610. I been around as long as him, so I can appreciate his regular memory lapses, but he tells some pretty good stories some days and will gives you an occasional gem now and then.

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Thank you.

I reckon there is enough room in this town for lots of commentary on the Texans. The more the merrier. As I've said in my blog, I like John McClain even when I disagree with him, it's just that I' d like to see him talk more Texans.

Enthusiasm is funny. I figure if I've been this enthusiastic about the team all during their in their early years and after a 2-14 season, when they start playing well, my head might explode. I think that is a symptom of how blessed I feel having a team back in Houston--they could have easily been the Los Angeles Suntanners or whatever.

Anyhow, thanks again for the kind words. :redtowel:

GP
07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I think she's showing a lot of people that those guys are not doing their jobs.

Too many years of being the only "voice" has cost 'em some ground the past few months. They have their media passes that whisk them into the posh environments that we all would have pay $$$$$$$$ for...and yet they crank out about a 1/5th of what TC has been posting (for free) in her blog.

Sounds like someone is waking up and smelling the coffee that's been burning on the burner al these years.

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
The Information Age is a wonderful time to be alive. Everyone's feet are held to the fire and no one can escape scrutiny.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnny Football stealing some of his takes from this message board in the near future.

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
TC does write some good stuff. Let's hope her own success isn't what does
her in as my impression is she is contributing gratis while other "professionals" at the Chronicle may complain that's its their livelihood.

What I am doing online doesn't conflict one bit with what the paid people are doing--I can't see how they would feel threated by something that prolly gets a dinky percentage of readership compared to the printed paper.

IMO Megan Manfull is a talented writer who just needs to develope a little more knowledge about football. Maybe she could have a "ladies night out" some time with TC, who seems to be pretty knowledgeable for, whoops, had to bite my tongue, almost said it.

The funny thing is that if you didn't know either one of us were female, you probably wouldn't be questioning of our football knowledge, based on your assumptions of what womens know or don't know about football. I've read a bunch of MM's stuff, and I can't say that it demonstrates any less football knowledge than any number of male football writers. I've read what she wrote in TSN preview--and most of my complaints about it were non-football related.

Personally, I think it is sorry that everything she writes is going to be read through the prism of well she is a female, maybe she don't know football.

But "Hollywood" McClain is not an accomplished journalist and you'd think he would have polished his skills as a writer given all the decades he's been in the business. And I'd like to see him deliver a few scoops now and then. Notice it was ESPN and not the Chronicle who broke yesterdays story about the Spencer signing.

Others disagree about your assessment of his skills. There is no columnist alive who is going to write stuff that everyone agrees with every time. I would just like to see more of it in the paper that is, rightly or wrongly, going to be the place that will contain the most Texans information--for those living in Houston and for those who care from out of town.

The Spencer thing not a huge scoop. Just as long as it is in the paper the next day.

But I like to listen to McClain on SR 610. I been around as long as him, so I can appreciate his regular memory lapses, but he tells some pretty good stories some days and will gives you an occasional gem now and then.

His afternoon spent on 610 is in their audiovault. It is worth a listen.

SESupergenius
07-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I see RocketBoom in your future......start a video blog on the Texans, you'll really make strides there. "Welcome to the Thursday edition of TexansBoom, I'm your host Texans Chick"

I see it coming.

http://www.rocketboom.com

infantrycak
07-20-2006, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnny Football stealing some of his takes from this message board in the near future.

Over the past few years there have been a number of instances of issues or facts brought up here used shortly later on 610 am or in the Chronicle. Nothing wrong with them keeping a watch on the pulse of some of the most hardcore fans and picking nuggets from a pool of ideas.

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I see RocketBoom in your future......start a video blog on the Texans, you'll really make strides there. "Welcome to the Thursday edition of TexansBoom, I'm your host Texans Chick"

I see it coming.

http://www.rocketboom.com

Interesting. And kinda weird. Despite some pictures to the contrary, I think I might be too weirded out to do that.

Blogging is nice because I can do it in my gym shorts with no makeup on and bedhead.

And there is more interaction. I don't want to just be a pontificator on Texans stuff--I like thinking of subjects and getting other people's ideas about them. Similar to but a little different than MB stuff.

Back in the day, I thought I might want to do actual sportscasting but I didn't like the notion that I wouldn't have control over where I could live and do that stuff. I love living in Texas and would have physical withdrawal symptoms if I didn't eat my weekly quantity of Tex-Mex. That, and I don't have sportscaster hair.

One of my favorite things I ever did was be a guest radio host for an afternoon back in the day on 950am--when they were more big into sportstalk, before 610 and 790. I wrote in for a contest they had to be a guest host, and they called me. It's nice to be able to tell callers that they are full of crap but do it in a nice way.

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 10:36 AM
TC, do you have a myspace site?

powerfuldragon
07-20-2006, 10:36 AM
TC's writing reads like a conversation, it flows well, unlike the writing of MANY sportswriters.

That's why she's one of the better ones IMO.

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
TC, do you have a myspace site?

No.

I don't need any more reasons to spend any more time on the computer than I already do. :cool:

U4ikrob
07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
IMO - TC has been the only real reporter for the Texans this offseason at the Chronic site and I have truly enjoyed her many insights and up to date reporting - Honestly though I wish she had her own place to go read as I would rather she not even be associated with those hacks over there anymore. She's shown the Chronicle and the fans of this city what reporting can actually be when you have an interest in your material.

That said

:rant:

As ive stated in other places Mcclain and Justice are hacks that have done little to nothing about reporting on the state of the team, interviews, commentary or anything useful or meaningful outside of a sparse mention here and there and a few interviews since last years season end. It's been a real eyesore and unlike the normal reporting for the Chronic staff which have done nothing this year in general on the team yet had no problem allowing a full page ad paid for by an advertiser demeaning the team's FO choices in the draft. They have shown their true bias in reporting on the team since. I have been terribly dissapointed in the Chronic's coverage of the team, its #1 pick, signings & all the movements with players, New staff , FA's etc. A virtual smorgasborg of things to get involved with and people to interview, yet we hear narry a peep out of our local paper and when we do its re-tread news thats allready been reported elsewhere. Couple that with the fact they let their Senior writer [McClain] go on vacation right at the start and thru all of the first mini-camp with the new staff and left virtually no reporter doing any reports during a majority of the camp time. To me it is just un-thinkable when it comes to news reporting that they would just let all of this opportunity slide by and have nothing to say - IT shows very poor, dis-interested and lazy reporting on their parts.

IMO The "chronic" has turned into a "Chronic" mouthpiece for the AP reporting and has not seized any "REAL" news since last year on the team and has virtually bowed down to the nationalist reporting agenda to the point we have gotten more news about the "Irving Cow-chips" than we have our own local team which is mockery of the team in itself. As one of the other posters pointed out it wasnt the "local paper" the Chronicle who broke the story on Spencer's signing - much less many others, but ESPN - a network that has made a case of putting the team down regularly in articles and advertisements - yet it seems the only way we can get any real news on the team we call our own - The Texans.

IMO thats deplorable for a newspaper group and the reporters the Chronicle have as paid staff. Honestly Ive had to ask myself this year more than once - Exactly why are they being paid??? IMO its obvious to anyone whos been reading the paper esp this year, that the writers and reporters of the Chronicle have very low to no interest in doing their jobs nor reporting on our team much anymore. Its truly sad that now I dont even bother reading the Chronicle sports section anymore because my thinking is - why bother - its not like they are going to do a story on anything pertaining to the team. They have had every opportunity this year to step up and try to improve the coverage of the team, but in all honesty ever since the Draft and the big VY/Bush ordeal they stopped reporting on the team in general and thats just not acceptable to even the most general fan much less me.

Thus far this years few and far-between articles by J & M have come off as biased, half-hearted and vague attempts at re-posting articles that are cut and pasted from ESPN or the AP with little to no value at all to anyone reading them and I for one only visit the chronicle now to read TC's blogs as its the only thing "Newsworthy" to read these days at the 'Chronic'. ITs sad even McClain's interviews feel more like he's reading just a script of questions and that he seems to have really no interest in the team much anymore. I would honestly let McClain go and join the Titans since its obvious from his biased reporting thats where he really is interested in and would demote Justice to reporting on Baseball only and hire new reporters to cover the football teams.

Its really sad when we get better in depth/unbiased reporting on High school football than we do our pro team.

IMO if I were on the Texans PR staff I would be really HOTT!! I would honestly cancel all Chronicle press passes to anything related to the team - I would regularly promote AJ's and TC's reports to a private Texans Writers forum and handle our own self publication and PR until such time as the local Newspaper and its writers show a genuine and real candid interest in actually reporting on OUR team, its players and happenings and not just re-publishing other news from the national sports circles.

:rant off:

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
IMO - TC has been the only real reporter for the Texans this offseason at the Chronic site and I have truly enjoyed her many insights and up to date reporting - Honestly though I wish she had her own place to go read as I would rather she not even be associated with those hacks over there anymore. She's shown the Chronicle and the fans of this city what reporting can actually be when you have an interest in your material unliek the reporting they have done this year in general.

Thank you.

The reality is that they have a soapbox that can get more of a readership than being any ole blogger.

That said

:rant:

As ive stated in other places Mcclain and Justice are hacks that have done little to nothing about reporting on the state of the team, interviews, commentary or anything useful or meaningful outside of a sparse mention here and there and a few interviews since last years season end. I have been terribly dissapointed in the Chronic's coverage of the team, its #1 pick, signings & all the movements with players, New staff , FA's etc. A virtual smorgasborg of things to get involved wit hand interview, yet we hear narry a peep out of our local paper and when we do its re-tread news thats allready been reported elsewhere. Couple that wit hthe fact they let their Senior writer [McClain] go on vacation right at the start and thru all of the first mini-camp wit hthe new staff and virtually no reporting done by any staff during it is just un-thinkable when it comes to news reporting.

IMO The "chronic" has turned into a "Chronic" mouthpiece for the AP reporting and has not seized any "REAL" news since last year on the team. As one of the other posters pointed out it wasnt the "local paper" the Chronicle who broke the story on Spencer's signing, but ESPN - a network that has made a case of putting the team down regularly in articles - yet it seems the only way we can get any real news on the team we call our own - The Texans.

IMO thats deplorable for a newspaper group and the reporters the Chronicle have as paid staff. Honestly Ive had to ask myself this year more than once - Exactly why are they being paid - because its obvious to anyone whos been reading the paper esp this year the writers and reporters have no interest in doing their jobs and their reporting has been dumbed down to the third grade level and is no longer even worth reading most times.

Its truly sad that now I dont even bother reading the Chronicle sports section anymore because my thinking is - why bother - its not like they are going to do a story on anything pertaining to the team. They have had every opportunity this year to step up and try to improve the coverage of the team, but in all honesty ever since the Draft and the big VY/Bush ordeal they stopped reporting on the team in general and thats just not acceptable to even the most general fan much less me.

Thus far this years articles have come off as biased, half-hearted and vague attempts at re-posting articles that are cut and pasted from ESPN or the AP with little to no value at all to anyone reading them and I for one only visit the chronicle now to read TC's blogs as its the only thing "Newsworthy" to read these days at the 'Chronic'.

:rant off:

Seriously, if you are not happy with the off-season coverage, and would like more resources dedicated to the Texans during the season, I strongly suggest contacting the Chronicle and letting them know.

Here is their reader representative's email addy:

James T. Campbell: readerrep@chron.com

This is what his role as reader representative is: About About:Chron (http://blogs.chron.com/aboutchron/archives/2005/06/about_aboutchro.html) and Blog Post: So, what's a readers' representative anyway?
(http://blogs.chron.com/aboutchron/archives/2005/06/so_whats_a_read.html)

Whether you like the Chronic or not, they are the only game in town. They set the water cooler talk. They have the access to the players and coaches. They are the only major newspaper that is likely to do any in depth coverage of the Texans. (TN and Dallas sure aren't, though I have been pleasantly surprised by the USA Today articles). If you want more off-season and during season articles regarding the Texans, you let them know.

There are a lot of things that we can't change in the world and have little control over. But if enough people express their likes and dislikes to the local newspaper, maybe you can help change things for the better in this part of the world. State your case in a rational, straightforward point of view, and people will listen.

I am sure the reader representative would be happy to get something other than the typical political emails.

U4ikrob
07-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks again for the info TC - Please keep up the good work!! My letter has been sent to their reader rep.

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks again for the info TC - Please keep up the good work!! My letter has been sent to their reader rep.

I listened to the audio feed, and it sounds like they will be doing a big roll out of everything Texans come training camp.

Also, that we will be getting a steady feed of Vince Young stuff. (For every email he gets saying there should be less VY talk, he gets 20 more saying they want it).

If I wanted to read that, I guess I'd be OK with the AP feed or reading the TN paper, but oh well.

U4ikrob
07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I understand interest in a Houston player with another team [VY-Titans]. It's newsworthy to read about - or have an occasional article about. But to be reporting more on another city's players and team more than our own is not acceptable to me for a local paper in any way shape or form - I understand what they say they are going to do - But they have shown thus far since February to have little to no interest in reporting on the team when there was ample opportunity to do so including letting McClain go on vacation during all of the mini-camp and having no reporter say or do much of anythign on the team during the time outside of a very few articles done by Megan. Even McClains last interview with MR Mcnair came off as canned/blase reporting which was scripted. Mr McNair's comments were about the only thing worth listening too and much of that was info that had been reported earlier in other Texans articles at the teams website.

IMO Reporting on the team while in camp is expected and will once again be covered by the national media - So I ask again - why are they [Chronic staff] getting paid to republish the National news stuff? Unless the chronicle is reporting something new - not just re-treading what Joe Theisman and the ESPN talking head are saying - I wont be tuning in. I would rather read it straight from the source at Fox or ESPN than a repost of the AP report at the chronicle which I can read basically anywhere.

GP
07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
The Capers regime and the Chronicle staff was a match made in heaven: Capers had little to say that really mattered, as did the Chronicle. This rang true especially for Titan homer McClain, a guy who could focus more on the Titans and less on a pathetic Texans team.

Now, the tide is turning and the Chronicle staff is having to actually "work" again. Poor guys and gal.

And then TC comes along, blogs for free...and basically delivers the type of product that PAID writers should be producing.

TC, you have been overly gracious in your attempts to play it "civil" with the feud that's going on between us fans and the elitist media. I commend you for your manners, and it'd be the prudent thing for you to continue the good vibe.

But trust us when we say that you are running circles around the guys and the gal. All the comments you're getting from us fans is not merely the obligatory "You're doing sooooooo good!" but rather it's the doggone truth.

Out.

Frills
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
VY is now the enemy.

The only news that should be posted is every Thursday when the weekly injury report is release for the NFL.

TC, keep up the good work, its nice to have something decent to read about the Texans finally.

SheTexan
07-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Great job TC!! You have earned the respect of some poster's on this board that I NEVER thought would give you credit for your vast knowledge of the game of football. You deserve it, and I am proud of you!!

nunusguy
07-20-2006, 01:21 PM
The funny thing is that if you didn't know either one of us were female, you probably wouldn't be questioning of our football knowledge, based on your assumptions of what womens know or don't know about football. I've read a bunch of MM's stuff, and I can't say that it demonstrates any less football knowledge than any number of male football writers.

Touche !
But I freely admit to being a bigot and sexist when it comes to women and football. I mean I'm so prejudice on this, any woman tells me she likes football, OK. But if she tells me she knows something about football or even infers that she does, she is automatically on probation with me.
I really think its more about hypocricy than anything. Most women who take an interest in football do it because of the man in their life. Which is fine, but don't really pretend to like it if one is just doing it to make their significant other happy.
But I'm not completely hopeless. My wife told me last year in August that neither Carr nor the Texans generally looked like they had a clue and she was concerned about the 2005 season. And I told quit worrying it's only preseason. I dunno, but for some reason she likes to remind me about that
conversation.

Texans_Chick
07-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Touche !
But I freely admit to being a bigot and sexist when it comes to women and football. I mean I'm so prejudice on this, any woman tells me she likes football, OK. But if she tells me she knows something about football or even infers that she does, she is automatically on probation with me.
I really think its more about hypocricy than anything. Most women who take an interest in football do it because of the man in their life. Which is fine, but don't really pretend to like it if one is just doing it to make their significant other happy.
But I'm not completely hopeless. My wife told me last year in August that neither Carr nor the Texans generally looked like they had a clue and she was concerned about the 2005 season. And I told quit worrying it's only preseason. I dunno, but for some reason she likes to remind me about that
conversation.

It has been my experience that most women who like football like it for just about the same reasons that most guys do. It's the best game on earth.

With apologies to your missus, you've been hanging around the wrong womens.:cool:

shinerbock_girl
07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I listened to McClain the other night on the Chronicle Web Site and he is so enthused that he's going to even start blogging again. Why that is a new one for certain. I bet someone has been ringing his door bell.

Your writings have been far superior to anything put out by Justice and McClain. You should be one proud lady. I suspect someone is lighting a fire under McClain and he is feeling the heat. That's my personal take on what he said. It was just too obvious.

I hope the Texans will allow you to participate in the TC activities. You have certainly earned the right. Its nice to see someone actually trying to come up with new material and explore every nook and cranny at their disposal. I would hope all of your board members will call the Texans and put in a kind word for you. We need someone with an obvious bias to explain how things are going.

Best of luck and let the fun begin and be careful on how you use that hat pen on Justice and McClain. So far, they have no idea what hit them.

I:francis: COULDN'T AGREE MORE

TwinSisters
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2006/07/20/publiceye/entry1823123.shtml

pattern recognition

disaacks3
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
:stirpot:
Justice is a One-Dimensional Baseball guy and everytime he's opened his mouth on football (especially in his blog), he's put his foot in it. His pre-existing relationship w/ Casserly doomed him to see the writing on the wall and cost him any hope of objectivity. His cliams of the opposite on SR610 rang quite hollow, and I seriously doubt CC ever "ducked a call" from Justice. In fairness, he never refused to post my responses...but he also made far too many excuses for his buddy CC. The "Glory Days" of the Redskins are long past and don't matter to Texans fans.

As for "The General", well... He seems to have a thousand stories to tell, but very little "useful knowledge" that the fans want to hear about. Most of his stories leave out the players and concentrate on his 'contact list' of coaches, other press personnel, etc. He acted as though he was essentially demoted when he was forced to write Texans pieces, rather than the NFL "beat"....which, when coming from him, consisted of 99.8% Cowboys & Titans articles. His reporting on the Texans and their choices for new coaches, draft choices, etc., has been simply abysmal. Whether that was his knee-jerk childish response to "forced" reporting on the Texans, or that he's just treading water in the waning years of a long career we may never know.

:twocents: TC - Love your stuff! If you can come up with the gems you have so far in your "spare time", what is the Chronicle paying the stiffs for? It's time for some "new blood"...If they started publishing your "blog" stuff in the print copies, you'd be famous in a week. Originality counts for something, and I'm wondering if the 'old guys' have just run out of steam.

BigDTexansFan
07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Whether you like the Chronic or not, they are the only game in town. They set the water cooler talk. They have the access to the players and coaches. They are the only major newspaper that is likely to do any in depth coverage of the Texans. (TN and Dallas sure aren't, though I have been pleasantly surprised by the USA Today articles). If you want more off-season and during season articles regarding the Texans, you let them know.

AMEN TC!!!!

I live in North Texas where the SECOND BEST Team in Texas (ONLY pro team plays in Houston) plays Arena League Level, only sources up here is www.Chron.com, FSN Houston Texans Shows, www.houstontexans.com.

beerlover
07-21-2006, 03:26 AM
I'll tell you what, when I brew a beer that the right womens like :cool: I'll name it after you :shades: TC Lager

keep posting always a pleasure :love: your work.

eltoro
07-21-2006, 09:41 AM
I can safely say that TC's blog is by far one of the better local sports-related writings that I have seen around the country. She is very informative, but touches on topics that the local "journalists" don't have the space or motivation to talk about.

Kudos to TC and keep up the good work!

Texans_Chick
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I'll tell you what, when I brew a beer that the right womens like :cool: I'll name it after you :shades: TC Lager

keep posting always a pleasure :love: your work.

Mmmmmm. Beer. :homer:

(I guess I can still say that at 9:00am?)

I live in North Texas where the SECOND BEST Team in Texas (ONLY pro team plays in Houston) plays Arena League Level, only sources up here is www.Chron.com, FSN Houston Texans Shows, www.houstontexans.com.

When you are writing anything, you have to think of what your intended audience is. I think of the out of town fans a lot. (especially my commenters who are or have been in Iraq). Because a lot of those folks are the people who want to read the online version of the paper and are looking for any news they can find.

Sportsfan
07-21-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't always like and agree w/McClain on his bold predictions and opinions but I do appreciate and respect the good info that he gets around the NFL and the Texans.

And for those that gripe about him not talking enough Texans, i copied this from the Chronic website: "John McClain covers the Texans and the NFL for the Chronicle"

See that? "AND the NFL", he's not solely a Texans reporter, get over it.

Oh and great job TC, keep up the Texans blogging!

Vinny
07-21-2006, 11:27 AM
The funny thing is that if you didn't know either one of us were female, you probably wouldn't be questioning of our football knowledge, based on your assumptions of what womens know or don't know about football.I would. She lost a ton of credibility with me comparing Dom Davis to Earl Campbell last year. That had nothing to do with being a woman, but everything to do with not knowing what you are looking at.

the wonger need food
07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
I would. She lost a ton of credibility with me comparing Dom Davis to Earl Campbell last year. That had nothing to do with being a woman, but everything to do with not knowing what you are looking at.

What??? Do you have a link for this. That's got to be one of the most ludicrous comparison I've ever heard.

Texans_Chick
07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I would. She lost a ton of credibility with me comparing Dom Davis to Earl Campbell last year. That had nothing to do with being a woman, but everything to do with not knowing what you are looking at.

And Matt Musil just compared Mario Williams to Michael Jordan in his season predictions.

There are both men and women who say silly, stupid or otherwise ridiculous things. On sports stuff and otherwise. Most times when a male sports reporter says something dumb, then it is just that they are being dumb. When a female reporter says something dumb, then, in some people's eyes, it's because they are a woman and don't know what they are talking about.

It just is what it is.

Texans_Chick
07-21-2006, 11:44 AM
What??? Do you have a link for this. That's got to be one of the most ludicrous comparison I've ever heard.

She did not compare them as being similar runners. She said that they might have similar statistics if he could have his first three seasons as being a 1000+ yard back:

Link: Davis has Campbell-like numbers in first two years (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3346116.html)

Vinny
07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
She did not compare them as being similar runners. She said that they might have similar statistics if he could have his first three seasons as being a 1000+ yard back:

Link: Davis has Campbell-like numbers in first two years (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3346116.html)and that is why you have to actually watch the players to figure out who has more talent in the NFL. In sports like Baseball you can get a feel for talent with a stat line, but in football you can gear an entire defense to stopping one player, or set up some offensive scheme where one player has crazy stats (run and shoot for example). I know some PR guy from the Texans probably threw those stats to her and told her...hey, that's as good as Earl did....and I think it was a disservice to the youngsters who have never seen Earl play making them think that Dom Davis is even remotely in his class of player. I thought that was a pure noob article.

the wonger need food
07-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Link: Davis has Campbell-like numbers in first two years (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3346116.html)

Don't scare me like that...

They're not close statistically. Earl had over 5000 after 3 seasons and Davis had a little over 3000. But I see her angle.

I look forward the day that RB's aren't measured with the 1000 yard bar. Half of the starting backs in the NFL get 1000 yards in a season, it's no great accomplishment.

SESupergenius
07-21-2006, 12:00 PM
And Matt Musil just compared Mario Williams to Michael Jordan in his season predictions.

There are both men and women who say silly, stupid or otherwise ridiculous things. On sports stuff and otherwise. Most times when a male sports reporter says something dumb, then it is just that they are being dumb. When a female reporter says something dumb, then, in some people's eyes, it's because they are a woman and don't know what they are talking about.

It just is what it is.
Doesn't dumb=don't know what they are talking about? It all comes together in the same meaning anyways. Yes you are treated different because you are a woman. Instead of calling you a male bad name I would call you a female bad name, but the essense is, I called you bad name...hence I treated you equally.

Texans_Chick
07-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Doesn't dumb=don't know what they are talking about? It all comes together in the same meaning anyways. Yes you are treated different because you are a woman. Instead of calling you a male bad name I would call you a female bad name, but the essense is, I called you bad name...hence I treated you equally.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I don't really want to have this discussion.

It probably belongs more in the stereotype discussion of the No Spin Zone. You know, with what assumptions are made about people based on immutable characteristics before you know anything about what they are all about.

Some people are given more of a benefit of the doubt than others and others have to prove more before being given that benefit--that's what stereotypes are all about. I am not saying that is what the deal is with what people are saying about MM, I am mostly responding to the honest thoughts that nunusguy said about his biases about women and football.

Personally, I love sports partially because I don't like spending mental space on political stuff. :cool:

Texans_Chick
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
and that is why you have to actually watch the players to figure out who has more talent in the NFL. In sports like Baseball you can get a feel for talent with a stat line, but in football you can gear an entire defense to stopping one player, or set up some offensive scheme where one player has crazy stats (run and shoot for example). I know some PR guy from the Texans probably threw those stats to her and told her...hey, that's as good as Earl did....and I think it was a disservice to the youngsters who have never seen Earl play making them think that Dom Davis is even remotely in his class of player. I thought that was a pure noob article.

That is why the sabermetric approach to football will always be lacking.

Your scenario is probably the correct one.

Runner
07-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Never mind - I should have finished reading all posts before I posted.

Texan Asylum
07-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Some people are given more of a benefit of the doubt than others and others have to prove more before being given that benefit--that's what stereotypes are all about.

I'm with you on this one TC. It's like claiming that men can't cook. Perhaps someone should tell Chef Ramsey this.:shades:

Vinny
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
That is why the sabermetric approach to football will always be lacking.

Your scenario is probably the correct one.To be fair to MM, I think her work is getting better. I kinda agree with nunusguy in the sense that I think she is a young NFL observer and needs more experience. Hopefully the Chronicle stops rotating their beat reporters so that we can have some quality insight from a good eye instead of perpetual fluff and puff pieces from new reporters that just write pieces inspired by our PR department.