PDA

View Full Version : Are you still a fan of the Titans?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much do you old Oilers fans still like the Titans?

bigtex77
07-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm not a Titans fan at all. I don't hate them like I hate the Cowboys, but I'm definitely not a fan.

WWJD
07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
No I'm not a fan of the team but I really liked McNair.

I really like Nashville as a city. I've always thought it was a great place and that hasn't changed. I'm much rather go there than Memphis.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much do you old Oilers fans still like the Titans? Let's keep Bud out of the question and just focus on the team.

I'll admit I did watch them for a couple years after they left because I liked the players and coach they had picked up. I even rooted for them in the Bowl. With that being said, you just can't say leave Pud out of it when it was 100% his and only his dumbass that screwed everything up. I now have the Texans, which have an outstanding owner. I look at the titans as nothing else but a bump in the road now.:cool:

Double Barrel
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I watched them all the time when they were stocked with players drafted as Oilers. But over time, I lost interest in rooting for them and just see them as another NFL team now. (I did root for them to win that Superbowl...what a heartbreaker at the end!)

Add Bud, division rival, and a team-formerly-known-as-the-Oilers history to the mix, and they're high up on my list of teams to dislike with a passion.

Hervoyel
07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
The Titans are a division foe and so I want them to lose every single week they play in the NFL unless they are playing against a stronger division foe. Then of course I want them to pull the upset off.

To be perfectly honest I've never understood why so many Titans fans like to come here. Don't take that the wrong way or anything. You're welcome to come on in and hang around but as far as I am concerned I rarely if ever go to the boards of our division rivals. I don't see the point much.

Of course I quit watching NFL football entirely when the Oilers left. I'm not a Texans fan as much as I'm a Houston fan. Without a Houston team in the NFL I couldn't have cared less what they did.

Tulip
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I stopped being an Oilers fan in the 1994 offseason. So I didn't cry when they left.

Hardcore Texan
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I think early on I tried to root for them but just lost interest after a season or two. As DB said, all the Oilers started to disappear and so did any connection I felt with the team. I did quit watching the NFL for a few years, of course some of that was in the military and didn't always get to watch games. But when we got the Texans I plugged back in with a passion, and now I watch almost any game that comes on when the Texans aren't playing.

And now they are a division foe, so you will not ever find me pulling for them.

aj.
07-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Are you still a fan of the Titans?

I never was a fan of the titans.

mexican_texan
07-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that should be an option.

Scooter
07-20-2006, 12:04 AM

agreed

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Lets just say one of my favorite memories of the Titans was when Ray Lewis stripped the ball out of Eddie George's hands and returned it for the game clinching touchdown in the playoffs.

Next one would be Al Del Greco's go ahead FG attempt getting blocked and then returned by Anthony Mitchell for a touchdown.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much do you old Oilers fans still like the Titans?

The thread is mainly for old Oilers fans

TwinSisters
07-20-2006, 12:19 AM

WHAT!

I am disappointed in you. You have let me down.

What's not to love about a team that plays football with coonskin caps? Man, that is the coolest. Running around with that little fluffy tail bobbling about, two tone blue flames on the side, some fat white sneakers, WoOOoooo momma! That's a sight to see.

So come on bud-dy, what do you say? Give me six on that.
:highfive:

YeEAh. That's right... maybe after practice we can load up into my sister's pickup truck and head on down to Hewston. What'd you say? We knock over a few trash cans together or something... or find something to bring home. It will be just like old times.

Kaiser Toro
07-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Never was a Titans fan. During their Super Bowl appearance I was for the Rams. Never have rooted for them and hope they lose every game, but I cannot wait to see VY play.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-20-2006, 12:31 AM
I was an old Oilers fan. Never was a Titans fan. I laughed when Baltimore knocked them out of the playoffs and I will laugh again when Steve McNair wins a ring with the Ravens.

mexican_texan
07-20-2006, 12:34 AM
The thread is mainly for old Oilers fans
Cowboys=Cowboys
Texans=Texans
Oilers does not equal Titans, however.

texan279
07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Hate the titans and hate bud adams. Sorry not going to root for a division rival, especially one owned by dud adams.

Hutch13
07-20-2006, 01:25 AM
I will never root for a divison rival, the texans are my only team.

Chicagotexan1
07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
I hated Bud, but I loved the Oilers. I hate the Titans, but I hate Bud more today.

santo
07-20-2006, 11:04 AM
yep, I liked the Oilers too. Devastated when they left Houston. The only reason I was rooting for the Titans in the Superbowl was because of the players I remember when they were in Houston.

Now, the only reason I'll watch a Titans game is when they play against the Texans.

TheOgre
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm more angry at Bob Lanier, who all but booked the flight to Tennessee for the Oilers. Don't get me wrong, I think Bud Adams is embarrassing, classless, and is the king of cheesy. I just don't think the guy is all bad. I'd actually trust him to shoot it to me straight long before Drayton.

aj.
07-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm more angry at Bob Lanier, who all but booked the flight to Tennessee for the Oilers.

Blame Lanier if you want but the issue was already at a tipping point when Lanier took office in 1992. Mayor Bob had nothing to do with the firing of Bum, the release of Earl and Moon, and the child-like tantrums to move the team to Jacksonville or else.

Bud worked himself into a corner here over a span of decades with some highly questionable and very unpopular moves which ultimately cost him public, private, and political support.

I think without question it started in December 1980 with the firing of the most popular coach (until then) in franchise history at a high point of success for the organization (despite the playoff loss to Oakland). Ladd Herzeg hated Bum because of his charisma (something extremely lacking in the Oilers front office) and emerging power. Instead of listening to his most successful and popular coach in franchise history, Bud chose as his number one confidant, a guy who mooned a wedding party at the team hotel.

Before the Bum firing, Bud was just another rich recluse who stayed in the background for the most part. After that, all trust was out the window. We were shocked and blindsided to say the least.

The 1987 Jacksonville tantrum was answered by the community with a 84 million (in '87 dollars) upgrade to the Dome that the Harris County taxpayers are still paying off their share of 67 million (Fool me once). Astros and Oilers fans were angered because the Dome expansion came at the expense of the giant scoreboard in center field.

The Bud-Dome proposal in what - 94? - was what sealed Bud's fate. Calling a surprise news conference to announce that a new stadium would be built downtown for the Oilers and Rockets (never mind that he never consulted the Rockets) was the biggest of many PR blunders that Bud made. Bud never consulted local political and business leaders (he had that knack) before rolling out his 'model' of 'his' multipurpose stadium. The timing was horrible as it was on the heels of the 1993 first round playoff loss to KC and the Buffalo debacle the year before. The proposal was met with laughter, ridicule and skepticism. Fans and taxpayers weren't in the mood for yet another another tax bill courtesy of Bud Adams (fool me twice).

Basically, Bud lost any chance of survival in this city at that point. Bud alienated the public and business/political leaders because of his refusal (or inability) to work with them over the years. Creative stadium financing hadn't been invented yet, (such as what we have now with Reliant -- no taxes levied on the resident taxpayer).

Lanier would have committed political suicide for siding with Bud at that point. Remember, Bud's bread and butter is oil, a business he inherited, in a ruthless industry where you don't need PR skills, just a lot of money to kill your competitors. He was used to getting his way and is not used to asking permission. Yes, Bud was a tenant. Yes, there is blame to spread around to McLane and Lanier. But what one single person had control over the decision to yank our NFL team away from us?

I don't hate Bud. I hate what he did, and he is what he is.

That's why the question of old Oilers fans whether we "still" like the titans is flawed -- because many of us stopped rooting for that franchise the minute they removed "Houston" from their name and never were Tennessee Oilers fans much less tack fans (shudder).

powerfuldragon
07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
I will never root for a divison rival, the texans are my only team.
Yes.

Kaiser Toro
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Can someone learn me on who Bob Lanier is and what he did?

Texan Asylum
07-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm not even gonna read the thread on this one. As a diehard Oiler fan, I never followed them out of Houston. Never liked them after they left, and never will. Nothing against those that did.

gwallaia
07-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Great post aj.

I have a copy of the letter that Bud Adams ran in the Chronicle explaining the Oliers/Rockets stadium. I'll try to find it tonight and post it.

Frills
07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I hope they go 6-10 every season. I don't wish an 0-16 season because they get a good pick, 6-10 means they are drafting the 2nd tier and suck forever.

Classless with the McNair situation.

May Bud die before ever winning the superbowl.

Hervoyel
07-20-2006, 01:54 PM

Agreed, if that had been an option then I would have picked that.

TwinSisters
07-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Can someone learn me on who Bob Lanier is and what he did?

He was the mayor of Houston from 92-98 that handled all of the negotiations with the NFL and Adams. He is a business mogul or Houston real-estate man that is little bit like Bob McNair really.

He was the face of the city that said 'no' to the Bud Bowl. And to top it off, he was a little stand offish with the NFL and their drive to get new stadiums built.

Kaiser Toro
07-20-2006, 02:53 PM
He was the mayor of Houston from 92-98 that handled all of the negotiations with the NFL and Adams. He is a business mogul or Houston real-estate man that is little bit like Bob McNair really.

He was the face of the city that said 'no' to the Bud Bowl. And to top it off, he was a little stand offish with the NFL and their drive to get new stadiums built.

Appreciate the lesson TwistedTwinSister. :)

Hutch13
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM

His son lives pretty close to me in one of those huge houses and i heard he throws really good partys.

TD
07-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Hate is such an ugly word.......but an appropriate one.

TwinSisters
07-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Appreciate the lesson TwistedTwinSister. :)

I am not twisted. I am a straight shooter. It's the rest of yas that are crooked.

I'm just not too sure how much you already know and how much you want to know.

The lines divided on whether or not to use public tax money on a new stadium, that's where the real fight was going on. It wasn't just about Houston either. The Baltimore deal just broke down and there were several other owners that were going to need money to build new stadiums. They all planned on using taxes or bonds in some way, shape, or form to get the new stadiums built. Modell has said that his move built 5 new stadiums for the NFL.

Lanier opened his side up with a study that shows less then 1% of the region's economy is driven by all 3 clubs ( Astros, Rockets, Oilers ). Yet somehow this new stadium would pay for itself from the money it generates.

( noting that percentage points are a common trick used by politicians... how much is one percent? Don't know or don't remember )

Lanier and the public approved tax money for the Astros, but did not for the Oilers and Bud's joint.
---

While we are on the subject and I am looking at things:
Wilson - Bills
Rooney - Steelers
Mara - Giants
Brown - Bengals
Cooke - Redskins
Headrick - Vikings

Davis - Abstain

Those were the owners that voted against the Oiler move.

No Jerry Jones in there.

TwinSisters
07-20-2006, 03:55 PM
His son lives pretty close to me in one of those huge houses and i heard he throws really good partys.

Lanier or McNair?

infantrycak
07-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I moved to Houston right as this was occurring and grew up a Cowboys fan so didn't follow all the history of conflict aj explained. I will say, as it was happening I thought it was a little short sighted because Houston was obviously going to want a new team and to get one would have to build a new stadium so either way the citizens were going to be involved--the difference was merely for an existing team or a new one. Personally, I am glad it worked out this way as I enjoyed hooking onto the Texans from ground zero.

Kaiser Toro
07-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I moved to Houston right as this was occurring and grew up a Cowboys fan so didn't follow all the history of conflict aj explained. I will say, as it was happening I thought it was a little short sighted because Houston was obviously going to want a new team and to get one would have to build a new stadium so either way the citizens were going to be involved--the difference was merely for an existing team or a new one. Personally, I am glad it worked out this way as I enjoyed hooking onto the Texans from ground zero.

I am in the exact same boat, sans the move to Houston, and feel the same way.

Appreciate the history lesson TS and AJ.

infantrycak
07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
THE COWBOYS???

Man...I thought that I KNEW YOU!!!

:dangit: :dangit: :dangit: :dangit:

Grew up in Austin in Dallas. For me I always supported the Cowboys 1st and then any other Texas team including the Oilers. It is just a difference on average between Dallas (support the other team or don't care about them) and Houston (hate the other team). Now I support the Texans 1st and any other team from Texas after that.

Jags&Dawgs
07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
I'd :shoot: the Titans. :)

TexanFan881
07-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm a Chris Brown fan :drool: :redtowel: Close enough?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd :shoot: the Titans. :)

Jags will go 8-8 this year. They actually have a tough schedule this year. Welcome back to the real world.

Brandon420tx
07-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Jags will go 8-8 this year. They actually have a tough schedule this year. Welcome back to the real world.

So does the rest of the AFC South. (Yes, including the colts)

We all play the Jets (Ok, not that tough), Cowboys (Not tough for Houston :tease: ), Bills, (ok... another not so tough team), Dolphins (Looking a little better), Eagles (Can't think of anything to comment), Giants (Could be very tough this year), Redskins (an expensive team), and the Pats (Though could be declining always very tough)

Now for the onlys. (Onlys is a term I created for the teams that you play and not the rest of your division)

With the Titans getting - Chargers and Ravens (That looks a little touch, both are questionable at how they will perform with their new QBs)

Jags getting - Steelers and Cheifs (This actually looks the toughest)

Colts getting - Broncos and Bengals (Second toughest)

Lastly the Texans getting - Browns and Raiders (Probably the easiest)

Then of course are all the division games and thats the schedules for the AFC South minus dates and correct order.

MorKnolle
07-22-2006, 01:11 PM
I can't really vote for any of these options, I was never an Oilers fan to begin with and definitely have never liked the Titans. I didn't live in Houston back when the Oilers were here so I wasn't tied to them in any way, I liked the 49ers (started liking football in the height Montana-Rice era), then the Bears, Chiefs, and Broncos, then for a few years after the 9ers let Rice and Montana go I was more just a fan of football and not any specific team, then I moved here, we got a team back, and I became a fan.