PDA

View Full Version : Texans agree to deal with Spencer

DominatorDavis
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Here's the link to ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2523986

Only Eric Winston remains unsigned at this point...

Runner
07-19-2006, 02:08 PM
All right. Running like a well oiled machine.

Chicagotexan1
07-19-2006, 02:14 PM
He is a big boy. I want to see this man plow the road.

DominatorDavis
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
The article suggets that the Texans are trying him at Left Tackle. He's listed at
350+ that is very big for a left tackle.

Here are his stats from Ourlads.com

Position: OLT
College: Pittsburgh
Height: 6046c / 6' 5"
Weight: 352
Birth Date: 82/03/17
Original Team: HOU
Draft Status: 06 03 065
NFL Exp.: R

Is the Texans staff serious about this guy at LT?

Runner
07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
The article suggets that the Texans are trying him at Left Tackle. He's listed at
350+ that is very big for a left tackle.

Here are his stats from Ourlads.com

Position: OLT
College: Pittsburgh
Height: 6046c / 6' 5"
Weight: 352
Birth Date: 82/03/17
Original Team: HOU
Draft Status: 06 03 065
NFL Exp.: R

Are the Texans staff serious about this guy at Left Tackle?

Spencer was on a weight loss program during OTAs, while some of our other lineman started serious dieting after mini-camp. His goal weight is much lighter than 350. It appears his college playing weight was 330. He has good quickness and footwork. I think he could play tackle or guard.

http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spencer_charles00.html

Interestingly, Kubiak wants the players at their playing weight before training camp starts; many teams (and the Texans in previous years) were more interested in their weight toward the end of camp. The big players typically lose a lot of weight due to the rigors of camp.

El Tejano
07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I think if you are a coach that is trying to implement the team concept, and you have the burden of ressurecting a team that has never really gotten off the ground. You do little things like this to determine who wants to be here and who does not.

Historyhorn
07-19-2006, 02:36 PM
The O-linemen in the new blocking scheme will need to be lighter and more agile, so the holdovers will need to trim down some and the new draftees will either be required to do the same and/or we'll start taking some different body types with our O-line selections in the future.

Go Texans

TommyS
07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
All right. Running like a well oiled machine.

given the way that draft picks contracts 'slots' behind one another, signing Winston should follow right away now there is the benchmark of the pick before him.

great news. those two guys are key for the next 5+ years of texans football

Runner
07-19-2006, 03:31 PM
those two guys are key for the next 5+ years of texans football

Unless one or both don't work out, of course. Then they'll be labeled busts and the intelligence of our coaches and front office will be questioned for ever having considered them for the NFL.

But I'm personally optimistic - I expect them to be part of our core line for a few years once they are ready.

Hardcore Texan
07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
This is good news. Now let's get Winston inked. :yahoo:

If Sherman thinks he can play LT, then I am going to go with it. Training camp can not get here quick enough.

Texans Horror
07-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I think if you are a coach that is trying to implement the team concept, and you have the burden of ressurecting a team that has never really gotten off the ground. You do little things like this to determine who wants to be here and who does not.

I've been thinking about this. I'm not nitpicking your statement, just the use of the term in regular, casual talk. Is Kubiak really resurrecting the team? I have heard people say this before. Resurrecting a team implies they were somewhere and are no longer there. Our best record was still a losing season. In my mind, he's breathing some life into the team. I figure you have to be a Cowboys or Steelers to be "resurrected" back to a successful franchise.

Meloy
07-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Uh, what if...

Coaches are correct and Wand proves to be left t starter AND Pitts excells @ left g AND Flannagan plays well @ center for 3-4 years AND McKinney rebounds @ his natural guard position AND Wiegert has a steady year AND Winston, Hodgdon, Salaam, Spencer perform as expected? Holy chorizo!

El Tejano
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
I've been thinking about this. I'm not nitpicking your statement, just the use of the term in regular, casual talk. Is Kubiak really resurrecting the team? I have heard people say this before. Resurrecting a team implies they were somewhere and are no longer there. Our best record was still a losing season. In my mind, he's breathing some life into the team. I figure you have to be a Cowboys or Steelers to be "resurrected" back to a successful franchise.
Well when you think of it in terms of how we went from a team with promise to a team that flat out quit with no leadership, and now all of a sudden you are seeing a more enthusiastic team that is ready to get this ship running, yes he is resurrecting the team. Maybe not from old winning ways but from an attitude standpoint.

Hutch13
07-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Now that we got spencer signed lets get winston to sign on the dotted line

Coach C.
07-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Winston's signing will be announced relatively soon. Having Spencer locked down is a great thing. He, Winston, and Wand are currently playing the LT position or at least were during OTAs. Winston has played more on the right side, which they roll more towards thereby needing a guy who can set up quick and slide to protect Carr. Spencer is a mammoth and when he plays LT with Pitts running to that side has an eery look like poor mans Walter Jones and Hutchinson, no were near that good, but you see serious flashes and huge holes. Training camp and the battles on the Oline will be great, and against our Dline us fans will know that we are truly playing the best guys we have.

keyfro
07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
the thing about spencer is that he is very big but he moves so well with all that weight...i got a buddy who is a texans intern and he said he heard some of the coaches during the OTA's compare spencer to willie roaf...roaf's not a small man by no means and either is spencer but they both move so well with their weight...as long as he keeps it in check they believe he'll be a good starting LT for years to come :bowser:

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
So the Texans have all but one Draftee signed.

At the other end of the spectrum...

Lions | Team not sweating draft pick signings
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 05:51:37 -0700

Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports the Detroit Lions have not agreed to terms with any of their seven draft choices, but there is no cause for alarm. The first real deadline is one week from today, when all players are scheduled to report. Double practices begin Friday, July 28, at the team's headquarters and practice facility. "We're making progress," Tom Lewand, chief operating officer of the Lions, said Wednesday, July 19. "I think we're where we'd expect to be at this stage. If you look around the league, we're all pretty much in the same situation."

DocBar
07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4058045.html

Hutch13
07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
This has been posted already.

DocBar
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I glanced at the threads and didn't see it. Sorry.

Frills
07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
This year under the CBA if a player shows up overweight they can be fined $582 per pound per day by the team. The $582 is after tax dollars as well.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1153352414130770.xml&coll=1

the wonger need food
07-20-2006, 03:14 PM
This year under the CBA if a player shows up overweight they can be fined $582 per pound per day by the team. The $582 is after tax dollars as well.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.s...0770.xml&coll=1

That's a bad link.

If true however, Victor Riley would still owe the Texans money.

Travis Johnson better have an overweight nest egg set aside.

Frills
07-20-2006, 03:49 PM
That's a bad link.

If true however, Victor Riley would still owe the Texans money.

Travis Johnson better have an overweight nest egg set aside.

Fixed link above

DominatorDavis
07-21-2006, 02:42 AM
I too want to see Winston signed. When that does happen - it will leave me wondering what & where players will be slotted to play in the offensive scheme. So I started to dig a little and this is what I came up with.

Here are what the current depth charts that some are predicting for the Texans offense:

LWR: 80 Johnson Andre, 88 Armstrong Derick, 14 Anderson David, 11 Morgan Donovan, 17 Starling Kendrick, Lewis Derrick
RWR: 84 MOULDS Eric, 83 Walter Kevin, 13 Mathis Jerome, 19 Schifino Jake, 16 Ross Richie
LT: 78 Wand Seth, 77 Spencer Charles, 74 SALAAM Ephraim
LG: 69 Pitts Chester, 62 LOVERNE David, 65 Brisiel Mike
C: 58 FLANAGAN Mike, 63 Hodgdon Drew, 79 Watton Chris
RG: 76 McKINNEY Steve, 70 Weary Fred, 66 Chaisson Kelvin
RT: 72 WIEGERT Zach, 73 Winston Eric, 68 Bedell Brad
TE: 87 BRUENER Mark, 89 Putzier Jeb, 81 Daniels Owen, 45 HAPE Patrick, 83 Joppru Bennie
QB: 8 Carr David, 18 Rosenfels Sage, 5 Porter Quinton, Baker Matt
FB: 43 Cook Jameel, 40 Luchey Nick, 29 Rhodes Damien
RB: 37 Davis Domanick, 34 Morency Vernand, 32 SMITH Antowain, 33 Lundy Wali, 27 Taylor Chris

My question is are these rankings accurate? And can Wand hold down the first team position and keep Spencer on the bench? It will be interesting to see what happens in training camp...

~Dominator

Link: http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=hou

Coach C.
07-21-2006, 04:59 AM
Dominator,

The LT battle in camp will be fiercest battle there other than Chris Taylor trying to move up to active roster. Putz will be the starting TE and Bruener will be the backup, eventhough both will be in on two TE sets which are used often. Winston will challenge for LT and challenge Wiegert for RT, but I dont think he can quite beat out Weigert yet. So the chart they are predicting is pretty accurate..

DominatorDavis
07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info Coach C!

Training camp is right around the corner - I'm jacked.

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1153352414130770.xml&coll=1

Last year rookie Mike Williams spent the whole last season OVERWEIGHT. He learned about fines............net $400000 (gross income loss $600000). He got by cheap, though, since last year the fine was ONLY $457 per pound per day. That along with the $9300 per being late or absent per team meetings (which by the way has gone up this year to $11000), did make a nice "dent" in his wallet.

Postscript: These fines are subject to doubling or trippling for repeated offenses.