PDA

View Full Version : Which of you wanted Reggie/Vince?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't want to start an argument, but which of you truly wanted Reggie or Vince? Which one did you want and why?

I know most of you are happy with having Mario, but if it were up to you and you could go back and do the draft again, who would you have taken?

I just want to see the common consensus. It's like a study, really.

Tell the truth!

Thanks in advance.

Chicagotexan1
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
First let me start by saying - I am happy with MW. He's a stud prospect and fills a huge need. Having said that I wanted Reggie Bush. I am not anti VY, but just didn't think he warranted the top pick. Man, I already know that's going to take this thread in another direction.

TheOgre
07-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Despite being a UT alumni, I wanted Reggie Bush not Vince Young. It is more of a function of DD and Carr than anything else. I think DD has shown us all he can do. He is a solid rusher with good vision and a nice first cut. However, he has no speed, limited power, and is a liability as a pass blocker. Carr hasn't been upright enough for me to know if he is worthy or not. He still has potential to be significantly better.

Bush is a marketed upgrade over DD IMO. He brings homerun hitting ability to the offense (that is lacking atm), and, believe it or not, he is a better pass blocker than DD. I thought he would excel in that Denver style of offense and give us some great threats to go with AJ and Moulds.

Young is raw, struggled with the pro-style of offense the Horns ran when he first got there, and runs the ball too much. Those characteristics could make him a star or a bust. But my reasons for not selecting Young have more to do with Carr. I just don't know what we have with him yet. He hasn't had the targets or the pass-blocking to make a fair assessment of his skills. I think it would be foolish to replace him until we know what we have. If a year or two from now Kubiak decides he is a bust, then we can address the position.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Two good responses.

real
07-19-2006, 10:26 AM
VY was my first choice...I just think he is gonna be super special...Reggie was my second choice....I thought he could have made our offense really potent..A.J hawk was my third choice in a trade down scenario....I thought he could have been a staple on our defense for years, and we needed linebacker help....But after the fact i am very excited about Mario and I think that he was the best choice for us after all...

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
VY was my first choice...I just think he is gonna be super special...Reggie was my second choice....I thought he could have made our offense really potent..A.J hawk was my third choice in a trade down scenario....I thought he could have been a staple on our defense for years, and we needed linebacker help....But after the fact i am very excited about Mario and I think that he was the best choice for us after all...

Mario was definitely the safest choice

thunderkyss
07-19-2006, 10:31 AM
When I realized we were definitely going to get the first pick, I really had no preconcieved notion of who the top choices would be. But I do know because of the sickening BushBowl, and Reggie Bush signs I saw at Texans games...... I didn't want Reggie Bush.

I like our running back, and I feel his health issues are related more to our poor offensive line than anything.

So I was definitely a trade down guy.

Then Vince announced his eligibility.............

So I became a trade down, or draft Vince guy.

If I were the Texans though, and had to do it all over again, David Carr wouldn't have got his contract extension, and Vince would be a Texan.

TheOgre
07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention my take on Mario Williams. I like the guy and think he will add a playmaker to our defense. The problem I see is value. We could have traded down and likely gotten him still. I would have traded down for less (take a 2nd or 3rd rounder?) with the Jets, Saints, Titans or Packers then taken Bush, Mario, D'Brickshaw, or AJ Hawk (in that order). We could have gotten an extra player and paid less for our 1st rounder. I'm not sure if it was possible, but I would have tried that.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention my take on Mario Williams. I like the guy and think he will add a playmaker to our defense. The problem I see is value. We could have traded down and likely gotten him still. I would have traded down for less (take a 2nd or 3rd rounder?) with the Jets, Saints, Titans or Packers then taken Bush, Mario, D'Brickshaw, or AJ Hawk (in that order). We could have gotten an extra player and paid less for our 1st rounder. I'm not sure if it was possible, but I would have tried that.

yeah that was my thinking. It was dumb as he!! for the Texans not trade down. I mean even down to like Green Bay's spot. I don't think any of those teams would have taken Mario. It seems like you could have gotten more value out of trading down.

And to comment on the Jevon Kearse thing: Man was he amazing. But when he left TN, he turned into a nobody. The guy isn't that good anymore, he just has the athleticism.

real
07-19-2006, 10:50 AM
My thinking on the whole Mario thing was...i thought we should have tried to trade picks with GB if we knew we weren't going to take reggie or vince...and if someone did happen to pick Mario then we could have went with A.J Hawk...plus we'd either have more picks from the trade, or a player from GB...

Double Barrel
07-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I was one of the minority of posters who wanted a trade down scenario and a pick of AJ Hawk or Mario Williams.

While I think Young and Bush are great prospects, I'm a big fan of dominant defense (especially on our team). Obviously, the FO made a decision to keep Carr, so we didn't need another QB. And Kubiak's history with Denver has been one of establishing a solid o-line where any decent RB can be plugged in and find success.

So it was really a matter of need, and with our defense ranked almost dead last in the NFL, we had to take a defender. And more to the point, we were unable to stop the run or pressure QBs last year, so a good lineman was a huge hole in our roster.

With regards to trading down, I don't think there were any valid offers that were worth the pick.

Texans Front Row Crew
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I think Mario Williams is going to be a monster on defense and instantly elevate all the defensive players. But I was hoping for Vince or Reggie for several reasons:

1. They both bring a HUGE media following. The nation would have had there eyes on TEXAS and not just the Cowboys. I travel to NYC and Florida often and all I hear is how we didn't get Reggie Bush. When I ask what do you know about Mario Williams, they say "not much". (THEY WILL!)

2. Endorsment $$$- which would be because everyone in the football nation would be watching us.

3. Fans. I'm not trying to Preach but, I've gone to almost every home game (missed 1) and several away games and I'm in MY SEAT the entire time. I know those on the board do the same- From Kickoff to the end. HOWEVER, in the last 2 years, IMO the fans are getting fewer and fewer. I HATE when they announce "the total Paid attendance is 72,000". That is insulting- I can see that we didn't fill the stadium- I don't care that you made your ticket money. Let me know what is the true attendance!! I believe that Reggie and Vince (UT fans) would have put more fans in the seats. I know winning would make a difference but I'm going to be here through thick and thin.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I think Mario Williams is going to be a monster on defense and instantly elevate all the defensive players. But I was hoping for Vince or Reggie for several reasons:

1. They both bring a HUGE media following. The nation would have had there eyes on TEXAS and not just the Cowboys. I travel to NYC and Florida often and all I hear is how we didn't get Reggie Bush. When I ask what do you know about Mario Williams, they say "not much". (THEY WILL!)

2. Endorsment $$$- which would be because everyone in the football nation would be watching us.

3. Fans. I'm not trying to Preach but, I've gone to almost every home game (missed 1) and several away games and I'm in MY SEAT the entire time. I know those on the board do the same- From Kickoff to the end. HOWEVER, in the last 2 years, IMO the fans are getting fewer and fewer. I HATE when they announce "the total Paid attendance is 72,000". That is insulting- I can see that we didn't fill the stadium- I don't care that you made your ticket money. Let me know what is the true attendance!! I believe that Reggie and Vince (UT fans) would have put more fans in the seats. I know winning would make a difference but I'm going to be here through thick and thin.

You make very good points. the NFL is a business and by not taking Vince/Reggie the Houston Texans made a BAD business decision. Bush or Young would have sold more jerseys and more tickets, that is a fact. Maybe Mario is a better fit for your team, but you never really know. I feel sorry for Texans fans, i dont mean any disrespect by that. I feel for you guys. I hope Mario works out for you, but damn, you've been through a lot and now they do this to you?

cap1
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
I am not going to lie. I jump around a few times on this issue.

First I wanted Reggie Bush. I thought he could bring another deminsion to this offense. We were missing a #2 Reciever and He could do that. He was a fast back out of the back field and we need someone with break away speed.

Then after watching how deep this draft was and that we got Moulds for the #2 (or 1A) WR I wanted to trade down. I even had the Trade down Avatar up.

I am happy with what we got in Mario Williams and I support him 100%. I already bought his jersey and I will not look back and judge this past draft on who we should have taken.

Just my:twocents:

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I am not going to lie. I jump around a few times on this issue.

First I wanted Reggie Bush. I thought he could bring another deminsion to this offense. We were missing a #2 Reciever and He could do that. He was a fast back out of the back field and we need someone with break away speed.

Then after watching how deep this draft was and that we got Moulds for the #2 (or 1A) WR I wanted to trade down. I even had the Trade down Avatar up.

I am happy with what we got in Mario Williams and I support him 100%. I already bought his jersey and I will not look back and judge this past draft on who we should have taken.

Just my:twocents:

Well what it all boils down to is letting by gons be by gons. You've got to support your team and it's decisions. There's nothing you can do it about it now except sit back and support Mario and hope they win.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
You make very good points. the NFL is a business and by not taking Vince/Reggie the Houston Texans made a BAD business decision. Bush or Young would have sold more jerseys and more tickets, that is a fact. Maybe Mario is a better fit for your team, but you never really know. I feel sorry for Texans fans, i dont mean any disrespect by that. I feel for you guys. I hope Mario works out for you, but damn, you've been through a lot and now they do this to you?

Winning produces good "business" as well. That's all I'm going to say on this thread, as it is in the past. What's done is done. Now we just need to produce! I don't really think Mcnair gives a rat's arse about what player will bring him more money. He just wants to WIN! :brickwall

WWJD
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
I wanted Vince and still think they'll regret not drafting him.

WWJD
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Huh?

Ok..let me spell it out as best I can.

In my opinion the TEXANS will regret not drafting Vince one day.

I root for both teams. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

tulexan
07-19-2006, 12:00 PM
I wanted Reggie Bush because I thought (and still think) he will be a great player. But I am happy with Mario because I do not like the way that Reggie handled himself from the week before the draft until now.

jerek
07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Mario was definitely the safest choice

Mario Williams, the safest choice? LOL. Bush was by any stretch the "safest" choice; even if he doesn't live up to His Hype and score 75 TDs per season on his way into Canton, he's a sure 1500 total yards/15 TDs per.

I didn't want Bush or Young. Kubiak's system has proven that nearly any Joe Running Back can get the job done, and Bush was going to cost us way too much money at an already well paid position; let alone questions of ego, reliability, longevity, etc. VY is a project and a primadonna IMO, and I like Carr insofar as that I believe when we give him a line and a real offense, he'll get the job done and probably even excel.

I wanted Mario Williams from the minute I first heard about the guy at the Combine, started checking out tapes I could acquire on him, but it wasn't until about a week or so before the draft that I really believed it was possible we were going to draft him. When I got advance word that we had signed him and sent Bush packing, a part of me just couldn't believe it, but sure enough, we had done just that.

Kubiak has done a phenomenal job so far and I can only hope this season goes half as well as I think it will.

And for crying out loud, drop the "Reggie/Vince sells tickets" argument already. I pay to see a winning team. Fans pay to see winning teams. I wish I had hard statistical data on ticket sales/gross revenues, but I wonder if the New England Patriots have any trouble selling out? Who was Tom Brady before he started winning games? I don't even know who NE's current RB or starting WRs are. I just know they win games. IIRC the Lions had the worst time selling tickets, despite that Barry Sanders was one of the greatest backs ever to play. In any event, winning sells tickets and fans start crawling out of the woodwork when winning happens.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Mario Williams, the safest choice? LOL. Bush was by any stretch the "safest" choice; even if he doesn't live up to His Hype and score 75 TDs per season on his way into Canton, he's a sure 1500 total yards/15 TDs per.

I didn't want Bush or Young. Kubiak's system has proven that nearly any Joe Running Back can get the job done, and Bush was going to cost us way too much money at an already well paid position; let alone questions of ego, reliability, longevity, etc. VY is a project and a primadonna IMO, and I like Carr insofar as that I believe when we give him a line and a real offense, he'll get the job done and probably even excel.

I wanted Mario Williams from the minute I first heard about the guy at the Combine, started checking out tapes I could acquire on him, but it wasn't until about a week or so before the draft that I really believed it was possible we were going to draft him. When I got advance word that we had signed him and sent Bush packing, a part of me just couldn't believe it, but sure enough, we had done just that.

Kubiak has done a phenomenal job so far and I can only hope this season goes half as well as I think it will.

I think AJ Hawk was actually the safest chioce. Other than QB, I think RB is about as an unsafe pick as any. If you're being sarcastic about Canton and those stats, then disregard this. If not then I think you're reaching big time.:challenge

jerek
07-19-2006, 12:31 PM
I think AJ Hawk was actually the safest chioce. Other than QB, I think RB is about as an unsafe pick as any. If you're being sarcastic about Canton and those stats, then disregard this. If not then I think you're reaching big time.:challenge

Safest? ... I was being sarcastic about Canton and the stats ... my only point being that if Bush doesn't live up to the hype (and according to some of the absolute hyperbole I've read about His Highness, there isn't a chance that he will) that he should nevertheless be good for 1500ish total yards per season and a number of TDs. I don't know if and probably doubt that he'll "redefine" the game, but he'll still be a worthy speed back who provides a lot of offense.

I was reading Titan's comments to mean "safest" from a don't-be-crucified-by-the-fans standpoint, ala according to many of the arguments I read here at that time, a factor for choosing Bush was "well, if he busts, at least no one will blame management," since everyone and their mother was already setting aside a first-ballot HOF nomination for Bush. If you are talking about "safest" strictly in terms of guaranteed production and fewest practical question marks, I could definitely see a case made for Hawk.

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Before the draft I definately wanted Reggie Bush. It still would have been nice to have him on our team now. I think Reggie's got a lot of talent and he's going to be a great NFL player in years to come. But I am by no means disappointed in getting Mario Williams.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Safest? ... I was being sarcastic about Canton and the stats ... my only point being that if Bush doesn't live up to the hype (and according to some of the absolute hyperbole I've read about His Highness, there isn't a chance that he will) that he should nevertheless be good for 1500ish total yards per season and a number of TDs. I don't know if and probably doubt that he'll "redefine" the game, but he'll still be a worthy speed back who provides a lot of offense.

I was reading Titan's comments to mean "safest" from a don't-be-crucified-by-the-fans standpoint, ala according to many of the arguments I read here at that time, a factor for choosing Bush was "well, if he busts, at least no one will blame management," since everyone and their mother was already setting aside a first-ballot HOF nomination for Bush. If you are talking about "safest" strictly in terms of guaranteed production and fewest practical question marks, I could definitely see a case made for Hawk.

Cool deal

I also think he could become an elite RB, but with the team he's on, I don't see it happening anytime soon. I do wish him the best as he seemed like a good guy, but obviously Kub didn't seem to think he fit the offense.:shades:

PapaL
07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Reggie. Why? Gamebreaker. I'm finally over the Super Mario thing and can see he should become a gamebreaker on D. I often compared Bush and Clinton Portis (same size, similiar speed) and thought of Reggie putting up 1500+ yard seasons as Portis did his few years in Denver.

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
To get you an idea Titan fan, here's a poll a couple days before the draft: http://houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=21574&highlight=mario+williams

Then some more threads:
http://houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=21885&highlight=mario+williams
http://houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=21899&highlight=mario+williams
http://houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=21937&highlight=mario+williams

Honoring Earl 34
07-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Mario is in the same sentence with Bush as far as atheletes go . Therefore if you want offense you go Bush , if you want defense you go Mario . The Texans needed a playmaker on the front seven desperatly .

I'm not sure Hawk is that much better a player than Ryans .

thunderkyss
07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
yeah that was my thinking. It was dumb as he!! for the Texans not trade down. I mean even down to like Green Bay's spot. I don't think any of those teams would have taken Mario. It seems like you could have gotten more value out of trading down.

And to comment on the Jevon Kearse thing: Man was he amazing. But when he left TN, he turned into a nobody. The guy isn't that good anymore, he just has the athleticism.

no, if we were to trade down, we'd have to have accepted less Value......... and people would have still been saying that was dumb as hell.

Jevon was a beast his first couple of years, but his game was based on his speed. one criticism of him early on, was that if he doesn't learn some techniques, he was going to be avg later in his career, largely due to his size.......... and sure enough.

Mario on the other hand, isn't just huge, or fast, but he understands the importance of technique as well.

Double Barrel
07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
You make very good points. the NFL is a business and by not taking Vince/Reggie the Houston Texans made a BAD business decision.

Perhaps it was a "bad business decision" for the short term, simply because of jersey sales. But that's it.

The draft had absolutely no impact on season ticket sales (well over 95% renewal rate, and ALL games will be sold out at Reliant...again).

But the point of the NFL is success, and if having a dominant defensive end helps us win games, then picking Williams was a smart business decision for the long term. When the Texans become a winning franchise, jersey sales will pick up irregardless of who we picked. So that negates the short term sales of getting Bush or Young.

Tulip
07-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I wanted Vince Young (surprise). But I knew the Texans were never going to pick him, which is why I hoped that he wouldn't declare for the draft early. I didn't want the Texans to have the opportunity to pass him up. And I certainly didn't want them to pass him up and let him fall right into the Titans' lap.

Vince is a guy who just wins. He's an amazing athlete, and he has all of the intangibles, too. I think he's going to have an amazing career in the NFL.

I did not want Reggie Bush. I can't see the value in picking up any running back, even Reggie Bush, at the #1 overall spot. I really can't see that value in the offense that Kubiak & Calhoun are installing. And with Domanick Davis's contract - it seemed like too much money invested at the one position (and to address the similar issue that would have arisen with David Carr/Vince Young - be clear that I did not endorse exercising Carr's option earlier this year).

Also, to me, Reggie Bush seemed like a large holdout risk. And he wasn't a primary back in college - he shared time with Lendale. I just couldn't justify the pick in my mind.

With Vince out of the picture, Mario was a great pick. He filled a giant hole in our new defense. This was the time to correct the mistake of not choosing Peppers in 2002 (why were they so stubborn about the 3-4?) - here was someone on par or better with Peppers. The media guys had no problem with him being chosen #2 - but #1- GASP! How dare the Texans! The media got wrapped up in their own hype and didn't like looking like idiots in the end. So there's this new wave of need to label Mario Williams as a future bust (hey- let's interview Tony Mandarich for Mario's ESPN Magazine cover story). I'm really excited about our front 7. I think we have a lot of players who are flexible enough to be able to show the opposing offenses a lot of different looks.

Tulip
07-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Perhaps it was a "bad business decision" for the short term, simply because of jersey sales. But that's it.

The draft had absolutely no impact on season ticket sales (well over 95% renewal rate, and ALL games will be sold out at Reliant...again).

Well, it had a great impact on me. We were able to move up 7 rows due to nonrenewals. Now maybe the team won't look so ant-like in 2006.

Coach C.
07-19-2006, 01:47 PM
This is easy. I wanted Mario Williams. When I was considering a trade down to the middle of the draft I wanted Winston and Mario Williams with our two picks. Was talking Mario up the whole time and caught serious flack, because I did not buy into the hype machine that was VY and RB. Not saying they both wont be good players in the NFL, but neither are the game redefining players the hype has billed them to be. RB cannot and was not the best runningback to ever play in college, he could not even tie Barry Sanders shoes. He should hope to be half as good as Barry(the greatest running back of all time). VY is a more athletic Steve McNair. Does not really impress me much, and has problems learning systems. The kid can win and I wish both of them luck, but It was MARIO all the way!!!!

Lucky
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Well, it had a great impact on me. We were able to move up 7 rows due to nonrenewals. Now maybe the team won't look so ant-like in 2006.
Wow, there is a rationale for selecting Mario over Bush I had not considered. The 6'6" 295 lbs. Williams will be much easier to view from the cheap seats than the diminutive Bush. See, Bob McNair really is all about the fans.

Hulk75
07-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I wanted Reggie Bush, no reason to lie about it.

BUT I am very happy we got Mario, because he will dominate Peyton, Vince and Byron, there is no getting around it, he IS going to get the dog out of them all.

texasguy346
07-19-2006, 02:10 PM
I was in the trade down camp. I wasn't a Bush or Vince guy. Both are great talents, but so is Hawk, Williams, and Ferguson. I liked the idea of getting Williams or Huff after a trade down. We still ended up with a guy I thought was a good value so I'm happy. Even more so I'm happy with the value we got with our later round picks. Ryans in the 2nd, Winston & Spencer in the 3rd. I think it went a long way in correcting some of the problem areas on our team from last year.

mexican_texan
07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
I can honestly say I didn't care much. I was more worried about our later picks and FA acquistions. I'm a UT fan, but I know VY has his flaws. I've seen plenty of Reggie Bush highlights, but if you judge a player based on highlights, you're in for a rude awakening(Peter Warrick ring a bell?) I thought LenDale White would be a better pick than Bush. I admit I was PO'd, but I quickly advanced up my scale of Mario Williams:
Angry(Why in the f--who is--%#^%#%^)
Doubtful (Maybe they're just warning Bush..)
Bargaining (Can we trade him to NO?)
Accepting (Okay, he IS the most logical pick)
Excited (Oh, yeah, Peyton's going to eat turf!)

santo
07-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I wanted Vince Young. I really thought the Texans were going to pick him because Kubiak mentioned that he liked him. I also liked Vince because he just seemed to be more about being a team player.

When I saw that they were persuing Bush and Mario, I thought the Texans were going to pick Bush. I'm glad that they didn't because IMHO Mario deserved it due to the fact that he seemed to work hard at getting to where he is. The draft is making Reggie Bush look like a spoiled brat, demanding all that money.

:mario:

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I wanted Vince Young. I really thought the Texans were going to pick him because Kubiak mentioned that he liked him. I also liked Vince because he just seemed to be more about being a team player.

When I saw that they were persuing Bush and Mario, I thought the Texans were going to pick Bush. I'm glad that they didn't because IMHO Mario deserved it due to the fact that he seemed to work hard at getting to where he is. The draft is making Reggie Bush look like a spoiled brat, demanding all that money.

:mario:

If I averaged 10 yds a carry and won the Heisman, i would demand all that money too.

santo
07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
If I averaged 10 yds a carry and won the Heisman, i would demand all that money too.

That is true, I probably would too. But the thing is, the draft is over, he got picked second. He needs to deal with it. If he really wanted to play football right away, then he would have taken the same amount that Mario did, or not little less.

I guess I just don't understand why he is holding out in signing. It just makes it seem that he (or his agent) is being greedy.

swtbound07
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I wanted Vince Young. Scratch that. I WANT Vince Young. I am, however, ecstatic about the Mario pick because it means we DIDNT get Reggie Bust...erm, Bush. I don't like Bush as a player, don't like what he brings to the table, think he might be the most overrated player to come along in quite some time, and think he will be out of the nfl within 3 years. That being said: I have no faith in David Carr. He has shown me nothing, and I think letting him be on this team is a mistake. I think Vince would have been the smart pick, would have been the better pick, and when we look back on things, we will regret taking mario.

eltoro
07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
I wanted Bush because I felt he was far superior at his position than any other player in the draft. Mario is a nice pickup and should have an impact on our defensive play. However, with DD still hurting and Morency apparently not fitting well within the system, I would have liked the speed, agility and game-breaking ability Bush could have brought.

BigBull17
07-19-2006, 02:43 PM

That really wasnt an a choice if Mario was your guy, cause NO wouldnt move up cause theey get one or the other. If u move to 4 or 5, u lose Mario and Reggie.

MorKnolle
07-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't want to start an argument, but which of you truly wanted Reggie or Vince? Which one did you want and why?

I know most of you are happy with having Mario, but if it were up to you and you could go back and do the draft again, who would you have taken?

Tell the truth!

Thanks in advance.

I would have taken Mario and said so numerous times before the draft, Reggie Bush was a fairly distant 2nd option.

Mario would have gone #2 to the Saints, and if they somehow went another direction with their pick the Titans or Jets would have taken Mario. The Texans entertained trade offers but didn't get anything worthwhile. All along they wanted to ensure that they were going to get Mario or Bush so they weren't going to move down as far as #5 and hope one of those two fell, and once they decided Mario was their guy they didn't want to take any chances by taking an undervalued trade down.

Texans Front Row Crew
07-19-2006, 03:43 PM

But the point of the NFL is success, and if having a dominant defensive end helps us win games, then picking Williams was a smart business decision for the long term. When the Texans become a winning franchise, jersey sales will pick up irregardless of who we picked. So that negates the short term sales of getting Bush or Young.

I still think that with either Bush or Young, we would have put more FANS in the seats and had more media time with the Football nation. Reliant will continue to sell tickets regardless (new stadium/PSLs). I'm tired of seeing empty seats. Do you really think that any of them (Bush, Young or Williams) would help the team give us more wins than the other. (hmmmmmm):goodbad:

SF49erFaithful
07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I still think the Texans should have traded down to grab Ferguson if they were not going to take Bush. I know some of you will say "well you need someone to trade with". But, C'mon, ii bet the Texans could of worked out something. With that out of the way, since they stayed at #1 i think they should of chosen Bush, just since you can some many things with him. However, i don't think Mario is a horrible pick, because he fills a need and is an awesome prospect. As for Vince Young, if they chose him i think that would be the most idiotic move they could of possibly made. David Carr hasn't even really had a fair shot yet with the crap O-line he has been behind.

What about you Titan, did you want Leinart or Young? Or even someone different?

Personally, as a 49er fan, i was hoping NY and GB passed on Vernon Davis so he would go to us, and i was stoked when we selected him! I believe i am much happier with him than i would ever be with AJ Hawk.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I still think the Texans should have traded down to grab Ferguson if they were not going to take Bush. I know some of you will say "well you need someone to trade with". But, C'mon, ii bet the Texans could of worked out something. With that out of the way, since they stayed at #1 i think they should of chosen Bush, just since you can some many things with him. However, i don't think Mario is a horrible pick, because he fills a need and is an awesome prospect. As for Vince Young, if they chose him i think that would be the most idiotic move they could of possibly made. David Carr hasn't even really had a fair shot yet with the crap O-line he has been behind.

What about you Titan, did you want Leinart or Young? Or even someone different?

Personally, as a 49er fan, i was hoping NY and GB passed on Vernon Davis so he would go to us, and i was stoked when we selected him! I believe i am much happier with him than i would ever be with AJ Hawk.

Rewind to the 2005 Rose Bowl. At the end of the game i remember turning to whoever i was with and saying "i hope that we draft that guy" .... I watched him all last year and at the end of the 2006 Rose Bowl and when he declared for the draft I said "he's our guy..."

I've wanted Vince for a long time. When we selected him i ran around the room screaming and yelling and calling everyone i knew.

Porky
07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Despite being a UT alumni, I wanted Reggie Bush not Vince Young. It is more of a function of DD and Carr than anything else. I think DD has shown us all he can do. He is a solid rusher with good vision and a nice first cut. However, he has no speed, limited power, and is a liability as a pass blocker. Carr hasn't been upright enough for me to know if he is worthy or not. He still has potential to be significantly better.

Bush is a marketed upgrade over DD IMO. He brings homerun hitting ability to the offense (that is lacking atm), and, believe it or not, he is a better pass blocker than DD. I thought he would excel in that Denver style of offense and give us some great threats to go with AJ and Moulds.

Young is raw, struggled with the pro-style of offense the Horns ran when he first got there, and runs the ball too much. Those characteristics could make him a star or a bust. But my reasons for not selecting Young have more to do with Carr. I just don't know what we have with him yet. He hasn't had the targets or the pass-blocking to make a fair assessment of his skills. I think it would be foolish to replace him until we know what we have. If a year or two from now Kubiak decides he is a bust, then we can address the position.

This is essentially my position as well, so I would like to echo what Ogre said.

SF49erFaithful
07-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Rewind to the 2005 Rose Bowl. At the end of the game i remember turning to whoever i was with and saying "i hope that we draft that guy" .... I watched him all last year and at the end of the 2006 Rose Bowl and when he declared for the draft I said "he's our guy..."

I've wanted Vince for a long time. When we selected him i ran around the room screaming and yelling and calling everyone i knew.
What were your thoughts about Norm Chow insisting for them to take Matt?

Tulip
07-19-2006, 04:15 PM

Trading down takes a willing trade partner. No one was willing to make a deal with the Texans. Not even the Jets with their extra picks.

MorKnolle
07-19-2006, 04:17 PM
I still think that with either Bush or Young, we would have put more FANS in the seats and had more media time with the Football nation. Reliant will continue to sell tickets regardless (new stadium/PSLs). I'm tired of seeing empty seats. Do you really think that any of them (Bush, Young or Williams) would help the team give us more wins than the other. (hmmmmmm):goodbad:

Yes, Mario brings us the biggest positive impact among those three players (or anyone else in the draft for that matter).

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 04:18 PM

We'll wait in see how he does in the NFL. I liked watching Texas play due to the edge of your seat type games they had. I like VY but did not want him on the Texans due to his lack of football intel. I mean they had to create an offense that he could understand which was about as basic as you can get. If he didn't have the physical ability he has then we wouldn't even be talking about him. I think the only reason why the titans drafted him was because pud adams wanted him to try to rub it in Houstons face. Well it doesn't bother me any because I wanted AJ Hawk, but was more than satisfied with Mario.:cool:

MorKnolle
07-19-2006, 04:20 PM
We'll wait in see how he does in the NFL. I liked watching Texas play due to the edge of your seat type games they had. I like VY but did not want him on the Texans due to his lack of football intel. I mean they had to create an offense that he could understand which was about as basic as you can get. I think the only reason why the titans drafted him was because pud adams wanted him to try to rub it in Houstons face. Well it doesn't bother me any because I wanted AJ Hawk, but was more than satisfied with Mario.:cool:

I think this was a very large part of it, especially since both Fisher and Chow preferred Leinart. I think both will be out of Nashville before the 2007 offseason ends.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 04:21 PM
What were your thoughts about Norm Chow insisting for them to take Matt?

No one can really prove that "the front office wanted Vince and the coaches wanted Leinart" .... that's all heresay. But if it is true then i dont care, Chow has one year under his belt in which he won 4 games. I trust Floyd Reece to make the right decision.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I think this was a very large part of it, especially since both Fisher and Chow preferred Leinart. I think both will be out of Nashville before the 2007 offseason ends.

I agree, and I think they're both really good coaches. I hope we pick them up as coaches for the Texans.:ok:

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I agree, and I think they're both really good coaches. I hope we pick them up as coaches for the Texans.:ok:

I'd be pissed if we lost Fisher. How many coaches would win with the player purge we had after the '04 season? Answer: none.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
No one can really prove that "the front office wanted Vince and the coaches wanted Leinart" .... that's all heresay. But if it is true then i dont care, Chow has one year under his belt in which he won 4 games. I trust Floyd Reece to make the right decision.

That's a good one, chief.:redtowel:

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I'd be pissed if we lost Fisher. How many coaches would win with the player purge we had after the '04 season? Answer: none.

You ever heard of the saying "the ball rolls downhill"? He'll be the scapegoat for an idiotic owner and FO.:stirpot:

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM

That's a good one, chief.:redtowel:

Floyd Reece made the decision to take McNair over Kerry Collins. He made the decision to take Vince over Leinart. I think that those are two good comparisons.

Glew83
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Texans are so stupid they didnt get Reggie Bush.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=HOU-TEX]

Floyd Reece made the decision to take McNair over Kerry Collins. He made the decision to take Vince over Leinart. I think that those are two good comparisons.

Vince over Leinart= good choice. Umm OK, whatever floats your boat. If you're happy with the choice then that's all that matters. Good luck

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 04:30 PM

Uh-Oh. Here they come out of the woodwork. Too bad the Titans and Texans are going to beat the Eagles this year.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-19-2006, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Titan "Tack" Fan]

Vince over Leinart= good choice. Umm OK, whatever floats your boat. If you're happy with the choice then that's all that matters. Good luck

Thanks. I will continue to support the pick and IMHO i think it was a good one.

Chicagotexan1
07-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Great job on that TO signing. Sell your soul and well....

MorKnolle
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM

I doubt that happens, Kubiak and Calhoun will stick together. I could see Chow going to the Cardinals to resume coaching Leinart and the offensive squad they have there. Dennis Green is likely relatively close to retirement.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
I doubt that happens, Kubiak and Calhoun will stick together. I could see Chow going to the Cardinals to resume coaching Leinart and the offensive squad they have there. Dennis Green is likely relatively close to retirement.

I know, I was just joshin. They are good coaches and I definetly see them staying in the NFL.:redtowel:

Hervoyel
07-19-2006, 08:03 PM
I wanted Reggie Bush as much as anyone. Second to that I thought Mario was the pick. I never saw the point in Vince and still don't.

Hutch13
07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I wanted reggie bush like a lot of people just seeing that clip of the punt return against washington was incredible but Mario Williams is good player and i can see him turning it a one of the most feared DE in the game.

TexanSam
07-19-2006, 08:31 PM
I wanted Reggie Bush and if I had to do it all over again, I would still take him over Mario Williams. Mario was the guy I wanted after Bush, but he was a distant 2nd. No matter if Bush wasn't the type of back that is normally used in Kubiak's/Denver's running scheme. He is a playmaker and a game changer type player. Not that Mario Williams can't be, but Bush could line up at more than one position. He could be a WR or a RB and probably be good at both. I'm happy with Mario though, but Bush was the most talented player in this draft, IMO.

axman40
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
I would have taken VY! Because I do not want to see our Defense chasing him around for the next 10-15 years.Yes he does have some flaws but yet he still finds a way to win! Would he have a major impact right away, NO! I do believe when he finds his Pro Game the Titans are going to be tough to beat in a couple of years.
So let's load up the D-line and bring in some fast headhunting LB's!
:redtowel:

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
With a QB as good as David Carr you don't throw away you're shot at getting the best possible player to get a backup QB who you are going to have to change your whole offense around. David Carr is too good to spend a #1 pick to get an insurance policy. Reggie Bush would've been nice but in the passing game I don't know if David would be able to check all of his options until he gets to Reggie because someone is bound to be open. Mario makes the biggest instant impact (unless DD can't come back from his injury). But like most people I was on the Bush bandwagon but I now respect the pick of Mario Williams.

DominickDavisFan76
07-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Myspace that I have, is all about Reggie...I think that we should have picked him..I mean dont get me wrong, Mario Williams is the prospect, hes the man with the plan...but I honestly think we would have a more dimensional offense with him on the field.

Kaiser Toro
07-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Mork, Jerek, Coach C and I, I believe, were all in agreement. If you can take Mario in a trade scenario do it. If you are at #1, you take him. In essence there was one player we were going to take from picks 1-4 and his name was :mario:

threetoedpete
07-20-2006, 12:58 AM
When I realized we were definitely going to get the first pick, I really had no preconcieved notion of who the top choices would be. But I do know because of the sickening BushBowl, and Reggie Bush signs I saw at Texans games...... I didn't want Reggie Bush.

I like our running back, and I feel his health issues are related more to our poor offensive line than anything.

So I was definitely a trade down guy.

Then Vince announced his eligibility.............

So I became a trade down, or draft Vince guy.

If I were the Texans though, and had to do it all over again, David Carr wouldn't have got his contract extension, and Vince would be a Texan.

What he said. Further, while watching the USC-Fresno State game...I was tring to figure out who would jump up and grab this mind numbing tallent. How much would someone pay to have the privilege to jump up and draft one of these can't miss supper stars. 2- 1's and 2 -2's ? A one , a three and next years 1 and three ? Nope..neither was worth three thousand points. 2600 ?
I wanted Brick and extra picks really bad. Would of settled for A.J. Hawk, Huff, Davis and Picks. Didn't Happen. What I believe will happen is that a lot of folks are going to come back in here as the season progresses and try to whip out what they wrote about RB and VY. One has the cance to be Andre Ware and the other...Billy Simms. I'm dancing a jig we got what we got. Thank's God !

texan279
07-20-2006, 01:05 AM

Tell the truth!

Thanks in advance.

Before the draft I didn't want either. After watching Young in the Rose Bowl I was amazed at his performance but still did not want to draft him #1 overall. As the draft drew closer, I started warming up to the idea of drafting Reggie, not that I wanted Reggie, but that it wouldn't be so horrible if we did draft Reggie. I wanted to trade down from the beginning and take D'Brick, but if I could have seen into the future and known we would have ended up with Spencer and Justice in the third I would have taken Mario #1 because IMO the Mario pick fills a need and was not a reach at all.

threetoedpete
07-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Agreed.

Texansfan36
07-20-2006, 05:52 AM
I wanted Reggie to be honest:hides: , I thought that if we had him and opposing defenses had to devote a good portion of there time having to worry about where he was it might help our offense score more/move the chains. I have no problem that we picked Mario, I think he will be a a great addition to our defense.

Chicagotexan1
07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Another factor that has eased my mind when we didn't take Reggie is the fact that Reggie is an RB and RBs don't last so long (being elite RBs).

Wharton
07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
As many people have said on this board, I am very happy with the Mario pick. Otherwise, I wanted us to take VY or trade down. I didn't like he way Bush allowed his family accepted the home during his last season with USC. It showed a lack of concern for the team, the school and it showed that he is a very selfish player.

If the family had gotten caught, there could have been dire consequences to Bush's career and the USC program.

stevo3883
07-20-2006, 02:37 PM
I wanted Bush most of all. I just feel he's going to be one of those impact players who can bring excitement to a dead in the water team. versatility, popurlarity, national recognition... these are all GOOD things.

I love vince as a player, and i will watch him every chance i get, but i dont think he was the right choice because i think Carr can still manage our team.

All that said Mario is a great player with limitless potential, but it still feels strange. the weaver signing makes you REALLY question their "seriousness" about getting MW over the whole process, and that it wasn't a decision made because of questions of signability or such.

I dont have quite the DJ to TJ feeling I did last year, because the gap between those two is just immense in talent/heart/everything.

Bush and Mario and Vince will all walk into the league as the 2nd most physically talented at their position, in the entire NFL. thats a heck of a crop to choose from.

TexanAddict
07-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I wanted neither, but would have been more willing to stomach the selection of Bush over Young. I was hoping for either Mario or D'brick after a trade down. As it is, I am very happy the way it turned out.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Good post Tack... I gotta say that i am impressed:shades: with everyones honest reply.

Thanks, im pretty impressed too

MorKnolle
07-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Bush appears to be a phenomenal prospect, but to properly use him you'll have to design an offense around him to make use of his multiple talents. You'd need to alter your running game to suit him and you'd have to split him out wide a lot to use his speed and catching abilities, and I"m not sure Kubiak's system was the best fit for him, although Bush could have been very nice in a ZBS as long as he learned to make one cut and go a little better. However, Kubiak has run his system very effectively for the last 11 years and I definitely understand him not wanting to change that up to accomodate one player. Add to that the fact that they've enjoyed immense success with lower-round RBs and the fact that RBs typically don't last as long as most other positions, and that Bush wasn't a workhorse 20+ carry a game back, and picking him started to not make as much sense, especially considering the $54 million contract we would have had to pay him. I also think our defense was in much more dire need of help, we needed to get much stronger against the run and get a dominant pass rusher, and Mario provides both. I also personally think that Mario is a more rare type of athlete/player, and dominant DEs are more rare and valuable than RBs. Add all that together and Mario makes the most sense for us.

powerfuldragon
07-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I would've taken Reggie over Vince.

Tulip
07-23-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't think they were really thinking about trading down hard enough... if so then why announce Mario Williams 24 hours before the draft?? they should have waited till the draft and look at all last minute offers....

I think that by 18 hours before the draft, you know if your phone is going to ring or not. Casserly wasn't getting any play.

Honestly, I don't remember hearing about the Saints' phone ringing off the hook that Saturday. Their only real trade option was with the Jets, who just weren't interested in giving up anything of real value for Reggie. There just wasn't any serious trade-up interest in Reggie Bush. Everyone said that he was the best ever, yet no one seemed to want to give up anything for him.

NoBullTexan
07-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Reggie is also proving to be the hardes ever,.....to sign!

And why was it so hard for other teams to trade-up for Reggie? Oh, you heard the talk about him being possibly the best ever, but you didn't see anybody commited enough to back that up. The Texans were commited to Reggie up until he started having the scandal about the apartment. McNair is determined to get high moral guys for the Texans. He doesn't want trouble makers, or jail birds, unlike some other teams. Hence the fall back to Super Mario, and the best decision the Texans have ever made.

I wanted a defensive player the whole way. I had accepted that we were going to draft Reggie, but I wasn't happy about it. I wanted either Mario, or trade down and get Cromartie. The Texans didn't want to trade down too far, and NOLA, Nashville, and the Jets thought if they stayed put they would get a good player, and they did. So trading down was simply out of the question.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
bUmP

Yankee_In_TX
07-24-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm right with the guys who wanted to fill D line or O line with the draft, but wished we could have traded down.

However, if the trade was out there, no one wanted to make it. Not to repeat everyone, funny no one wanted to barter for the 'best player' in X many years.

NO should NOT sign RB above Mario. As some of the 610 guys pointed out, every 2nd pick from here on out will think he's better than the 1st pick and demand more $. And what happens when the 3rd pick says he is actually better than the 1st pick and wants more $$$.....?

TwinSisters
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm right with the guys who wanted to fill D line or O line with the draft, but wished we could have traded down.

However, if the trade was out there, no one wanted to make it. Not to repeat everyone, funny no one wanted to barter for the 'best player' in X many years.

NO should NOT sign RB above Mario. As some of the 610 guys pointed out, every 2nd pick from here on out will think he's better than the 1st pick and demand more $. And what happens when the 3rd pick says he is actually better than the 1st pick and wants more $$$.....?

Just a point to ponder, because I haven't heard what exactly was said on 610.

BUT

Being drafted first does not mean you are the best player in the draft. It just means you best suited the fancy of the team that drafted you that just so happened to be first.

SO the one spot team might draft the best TE first when 3-5 better QBs are in the draft pool. They don't draft any of the QB's because they already have one.

Now should this TE get more money then a bunch of guys that could be franchise QBs? ( or at least drafted to be )

I have always thought the pay scale for draftees was a little strange to say the least. I certainly wouldn't pay Ray Guy what I would pay Peyton Manning ...but I would draft him in the first round, if I already had Manning, just for the value.

( I know I am mixing eras.. but he is the best punter example I could think of )

Chicagotexan1
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Don't really agree.
LT has dominated IMO over the past five years with the Chargers.
In a questionable offense. Even 5 years of domination with Reggie would've been better than "piecing together" a backfield.

True, but "potentially" having a dominant offensive player or having a defensive player that could "potentially" dominate for 10+ yrs is the question.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Just a point to ponder, because I haven't heard what exactly was said on 610.

BUT

Being drafted first does not mean you are the best player in the draft. It just means you best suited the fancy of the team that drafted you that just so happened to be first.

SO the one spot team might draft the best TE first when 3-5 better QBs are in the draft pool. They don't draft any of the QB's because they already have one.

Now should this TE get more money then a bunch of guys that could be franchise QBs? ( or at least drafted to be )

I have always thought the pay scale for draftees was a little strange to say the least. I certainly wouldn't pay Ray Guy what I would pay Peyton Manning ...but I would draft him in the first round, if I already had Manning, just for the value.

( I know I am mixing eras.. but he is the best punter example I could think of )

I think there should be a set pay scale for the draft set by the league. I mean hasn't it gotten a little out of hand what they're getting paid?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I think there should be a set pay scale for the draft set by the league. I mean hasn't it gotten a little out of hand what they're getting paid?

I agree. If the NBA can do it, so can the NFL.

tulexan
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I think there should be a set pay scale for the draft set by the league.

That would make too much sense.

Chicagotexan1
07-24-2006, 05:04 PM

I thought so, but on 610 they are talking about Bush holding out for #1 money despite being the #2 guy taken. And they are also talking about the possibility of him holding out all year to re-enter the draft next year. I hope so, that way if we tank again, we can talk about taking either a QB (Brady Quinn) or Reggie Bush. Won't matter though, because we'd probably end up taking a center or something.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2006, 05:58 PM
I thought so, but on 610 they are talking about Bush holding out for #1 money despite being the #2 guy taken. And they are also talking about the possibility of him holding out all year to re-enter the draft next year. I hope so, that way if we tank again, we can talk about taking either a QB (Brady Quinn) or Reggie Bush. Won't matter though, because we'd probably end up taking a center or something.

The Texans won't probably need the 1st and, under the pre and post draft circumstances, won't want the 2nd.

NoBullTexan
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
If we tank again? You sound like a clunker. No way do we in any way shape form or fashion, finish up 2-14 with Kubiak at the helm and Carr at the wheel. The only thing that will hold us back is the injury spector. Why don't you Doom and Gloomers jump on that. You take a thread put on here by a "tack" and you have really entertained him. Way to go chumps!!!

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Allow me to be one of many to say that if Reggie Bush re-enters the draft, he will be the most foul-smelling scumbucket to leave New Orleans since the Ninth Ward dried up.

Definitely funny.....but not too realistic (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/07/24/165001.php)

CenTexNative
07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
I wanted neither of them. I believe the right choices were made in the picks they decided on.

Bob_A
07-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I have not read the whole thread but I'll bite on it and toss in my 2 cents.

I was in favor of dealing down. Honestly I felt from the day the draft order came out that we could work out a deal with the Jets, take Ferguson in that 4th slot and pick up some other picks from them. I thought the "Bush in New York" angle would be real tempting to them. When it became clear that wasn't going to happen I was prepared to have Bush here and the idea grew on me, to the point I was excited about the prospect of him as a Texan. But the whole time I kept reminding myself that one football trueism is that "He who wins the battle of the line wins the game."

I never was in favor of Young. Have you ever had a bunch of friends over and some universally adored actress would appear and they'd all go nuts except one guy who would say "I just don't see it?" When it comes to Young... I'm that guy. He'll have to prove to me he can throw on an NFL level. :stirpot: :hides:

But back to the original premise... I guess you can count me as a Bush guy with an *

I was actually stunned they drafted Williams. I never saw it coming until the last couple of days when something in the way they were talking made me think they might be serious. He will make everyone on the defense better. Maybe not the first game, or even the first seson but over time he'll turn our defense into something much stronger than its been.

Now if only we didn't have the toughest schedule in the league I'd be saving up for a pair of playoff tickets.