PDA

View Full Version : The One And Only......mario

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Did you know that Mario is the only signed 1st round pick to date? (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=109195)..and every one of the next 3 picks evidently feel that they are more valuable than Mario.

TheOgre
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Did you know that Mario is the only signed 1st round pick to date? (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=109195)..and every one of the next 3 picks evidently feel that they are more valuable than Mario.

It is like dominos. As soon as Bush signs, they will all fall into place.

TexansFanatic
07-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Ridiculous bunch of greedsters!

I've decided Bush is a phoney. We made the right choice with Mario...

El Tejano
07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I was wondering with such a deep draft class. I didn't think anybody would sign that quickly because the draft was deep at alot of positions like TE etc...

We may have made the right decision in getting someone who would sign now. Hopefully everyone else takes their time to sign.

aj.
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Seth Payne had some great things to say about Mario this morning on SR 610. Can't reconstruct all the details here (check the audio vault) but basically he said he's the real deal...

TexanFan881
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
:mario: Super Mario :mario:

We are the best team at signing our picks so I'm not suprised. :texflag:

wags
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Seth Payne had some great things to say about Mario this morning on SR 610. Can't reconstruct all the details here (check the audio vault) but basically he said he's the real deal...

Just curious, but do you remember what was said about TJ last year?

aj.
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Just curious, but do you remember what was said about TJ last year?

What was said by whom, and when?

I remember some who said TJ was a classic one-gapper who would have to adjust his style to play in Fangio's system.

I'm sure you can find lots of "real deal" quotes on him too if that's what you're getting at.

I was simply relaying a linemates comments from July 18, 2006.

Texans86
07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
The CBA needs to have the salaries of rookies put into writing. They get paid outrageous amounts of money for potential. Millions of guaranteed dollars and they haven't played a down. Reggie Bush wants to get more guaranteed money than LT, Shaun Alexander, and basically any other RB in the league. And he has yet to don a uniform in a pro game. This really is getting out of hand, and someone needs to put a stop to it. Unfortunately, I doubt it willl for some time.

TD
07-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Maybe Bush knows what his value will be AFTER he faces NFL defenses so he's getting what he can now.:hmmm:

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Maybe Bush knows what his value will be AFTER he faces NFL defenses so he's getting what he can now.:hmmm:

Not a very way out statement........get it while the HYPE is there.......it'll be much more difficult to ask for more later.....from a hospital bed. :hides:

MightyTExan
07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
We gets no love. You would think they would memtion the #1 draft pick.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3296418/

NFL teams open their training camps next week, officially touching off the long road toward the next Super Bowl. And for the first time in many moons, the most interesting stories will center around prized rookies and their colossal upsides moreso than veterans and established teams.

Reggie Bush is now a New Orleans Saint. Will he be the dynamic, game-breaking dervish who bedeviled opponents while at USC? Will new head coach Sean Payton be able to find enough creative ways to get Bush the football? Will Bush be able to take the pounding of bigger, stronger and quicker defenders week after week?

Then there’s Vince Young. He was practically unstoppable while at Texas. But he toiled in a relatively simple offense in college and relied mostly on his superb athletic gifts. Can he be molded into a patient, drop-back passer who can read complicated defenses? Did the Titans do the right thing in bringing in Young as the quarterback of the future and kicking out Steve McNair, who would have been the perfect mentor?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-18-2006, 04:31 PM

NFL teams open their training camps next week, officially touching off the long road toward the next Super Bowl. And for the first time in many moons, the most interesting stories will center around prized rookies and their colossal upsides moreso than veterans and established teams.

Reggie Bush is now a New Orleans Saint. Will he be the dynamic, game-breaking dervish who bedeviled opponents while at USC? Will new head coach Sean Payton be able to find enough creative ways to get Bush the football? Will Bush be able to take the pounding of bigger, stronger and quicker defenders week after week?

Then there’s Vince Young. He was practically unstoppable while at Texas. But he toiled in a relatively simple offense in college and relied mostly on his superb athletic gifts. Can he be molded into a patient, drop-back passer who can read complicated defenses? Did the Titans do the right thing in bringing in Young as the quarterback of the future and kicking out Steve McNair, who would have been the perfect mentor?

Because most NFL fans aren't concerned with whether or not Mario Williams will fail. Vince Young is definitely the thing on most NFL fans minds, simply because they want to see if he will fail or not. It's like a reality show.

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Technically, Bush is NOT a New Orleans Saint...........until a contract is signed, the RIGHTS to Bush are held by the Saints.

mexican_texan
07-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Because most NFL fans aren't concerned with whether or not Mario Williams will fail. Vince Young is definitely the thing on most NFL fans minds, simply because they want to see if he will fail or not. It's like a reality show.
Don't kid yourself, its Reggie Bush people are looking out for, most football fans should know that Vince won't start this year.

MorKnolle
07-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Don't kid yourself, its Reggie Bush people are looking out for, most football fans should know that Vince won't start this year.

I agree with your first statement, Bush is definitely in the forefront of national attention (and always has been), although I think Vince will end up starting this year, likely more than he should.

Chance_C
07-18-2006, 05:34 PM
The CBA needs to have the salaries of rookies put into writing

I agree with that

Overalls
07-18-2006, 07:40 PM

I agree. Most NFL fans KNOW Mario is the real deal, while it's split on if Vince will be a bust or not. Nice of you to admit that Vince has a high bust factor

TexansSeminole
07-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I dont know if most NFL fans think Mario is the real deal....I think those that actually know something about Mario know he has probably the biggest chance out of the top 3.

TheCD
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I used to fall for this "Reggie is a class act" b.s. until recently. He had the opportunity to fall into the lap of a city that desperately needs him to help rebuild itself from its recent catastrophy...and yet he could care less about doing that until they pay him first...

He wants 1st overall QB money...not just good money, he wants to the the highest paid rookie ever (and I'll be willing to bet that if he gets it he'll have the highest rookie contract for a great number of years as well, since every team will be saying "You're no Reggie Bush, we're not going to pay you more than he got paid") The fact is, he's turned out to be greedy and selfish on a team who's city is in desparate need of a stand-up guy to help turns things around. I'll be the first to laugh at him if he turns out to be the greatest bust in the history of sports...

Tailgate
07-19-2006, 03:40 PM

He basically said that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE that Mario will be a bust. Says he is a hard worker, loves the game of football, and DOES have a lot of heart and doesn't see that ever being a problem.

Numbskull
07-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I used to fall for this "Reggie is a class act" b.s. until recently. He had the opportunity to fall into the lap of a city that desperately needs him to help rebuild itself from its recent catastrophy...and yet he could care less about doing that until they pay him first...

Ignorant and bitter still almost three months later. Yall need to get over your front office's nonpick of Bush.

http://www.nola.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-2/1151906459103650.xml#continue

Since being drafted in April, the No. 2 overall pick has teamed with his sponsors to give $50,000 to Holy Rosary Academy and High School and $86,000 to help seed the field at Tad Gormley Stadium, and to lend 12 Hummers to the Slidell Police Department for another year. And he's planning to make more donations under a 10-point plan that, if he didn't add another point, already has scored big in our rebuilding community.

NoBullTexan
07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
"Reggie Bush says all the right things when folks are watching. He could very well turn out to be a problem child however, behind closed doors."

Sure has a resonant ring to it. We shall see.

the wonger need food
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Ignorant and bitter still almost three months later. Yall need to get over your front office's nonpick of Bush.

http://www.nola.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-2/1151906459103650.xml#continue

Great first post numbskull! Hopefully it will be your last...

Leon's philanthropy is simply a part of his marketing campaign and doesn't detract from the fact that he has close ties to known gang members and committed several NCAA violations which may end up costing USC a national championship or two. There isn't much (if any) money coming out of Leon's pockets.

SAMURAITEXAN
07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
We only got one more draft pick to sign and I'm happy with that. Other draft picks mentioned in this thread are not Texans!! Greedstar or not, who cares.
At least, we have our draft picks ready for TC and that I care.

threetoedpete
07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
It is like dominos. As soon as Bush signs, they will all fall into place.
Agreed with the dominos....Believe brick will be the first domino to fall. Bush will be the last. He "should" of been #1 overall. We'll see. Have we inked Spencer & Winston yet ?

Texizgreat
07-19-2006, 10:16 PM
waiting on Winston

Numbskull
07-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Sure has a resonant ring to it. We shall see.

Oh, so we're going to quote the media and speaking it like gospel are we? I believe you are quoting profootballtalk, no less. I'll have at crack at it then....

Ladies and gentlemen, your Houston Texans, an outfit that might do better were Mr. Magoo executing its lottery selections. Hand out the darts, folks, and take cover. Even quarterback David Carr, throwing from his back, which is where he has been for most of his four seasons in Houston, has better aim than his bosses.

That also has a resonant ring to it. :shades:

Leon's philanthropy is simply a part of his marketing campaign and doesn't detract from the fact that he has close ties to known gang members and committed several NCAA violations which may end up costing USC a national championship or two. There isn't much (if any) money coming out of Leon's pockets

Its very selfish in my opinion to portray his charity into some sort of coverup scheme. Its good press, but I don't see Mario Williams or any other 1st round draft pick spending thousands of dollars to help New Orleans or their own communities for that matter. Do you think that the school for the handicapped cares that he got good press for helping save their school? Hell no, he's a savior to them and is making a difference in the community. Your angle is incredibly transparent; it is a twisted, grudging, and bitter perspective.

mexican_texan
07-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh, so we're going to quote the media and speaking it like gospel are we? I believe you are quoting profootballtalk, no less. I'll have at crack at it then....

That also has a resonant ring to it. :shades:

As for using philanthropy as a marketing campaign, thats just BS. Its good press, but I don't see Mario Williams or any other 1st round draft pick spending thousands of dollars to help New Orleans or their own communities for that matter. Do you think that the school for the handicapped cares that he got good press for helping save their school? Hell no, he's a savior to them and thats the point of the money.
Actually, Vince Young and Mario Williams have gone to schools to give out money and talk, but Bush is the one with the press...It's like tobacco companies that donate hundreds of dollars to charities and spend millions advertising their act.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 12:44 AM
As for using philanthropy as a marketing campaign, thats just BS. Its good press, but I don't see Mario Williams or any other 1st round draft pick spending thousands of dollars to help New Orleans or their own communities for that matter. Do you think that the school for the handicapped cares that he got good press for helping save their school? Hell no, he's a savior to them and thats the point of the money.

Wonger and I have shared these thoughts in the past. I don't see Reggie spending thousands of dollars to help Houston take care of the quarter of a million mostly dead beat New Orleans transplants most of whom are still on welfare..............by the way, in light of his potential anticipated income, those dollars will fare well when they are deducted at tax time. In fact, I would not be surprised, if he would exceed his "charitable" contribution deduction, that he would write the rest off as "PR expenses."

Your line of thought reminds me of what James Michener once wrote: "An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it."

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888888888888

Numbskull
07-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Actually, Vince Young and Mario Williams have gone to schools to give out money and talk, but Bush is the one with the press...It's like tobacco companies that donate hundreds of dollars to charities and spend millions advertising their act.

Ok. Let me get this straight. You are comparing a pro football player who has parents whom MIGHT HAVE received benefits in college with a company which kills 2.5 million people a year in the United States alone. You my friend are a master of argument.

mexican_texan
07-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Ok. Let me get this straight. You are comparing a pro football player who has parents whom MIGHT HAVE received benefits in college with a company which kills 2.5 million people a year in the United States alone. You my friend are a master of argument.
Yes. Exactly. Just what I meant. Great Analysis. :stirpot:

LBC_Justin
07-20-2006, 02:22 AM

A few of Reggie Bush's sponsors are ponying up the donation dollars to protect their huge investment in Reggie, they need him to come accross as a golden boy. He took a big hit after the housing scandal and then the fact that he didn't go with the #1 pick to a big market team and instead ended up in probably the worst possible market for advertising. Low population, Low Income....not a good combination.

Personally I could care less how well Reggie does. As soon as we didn't call his name and he went to the NFC he became a "non-factor" in my book. I hope he does just fine. In fact I hope the Saints beat the snot out of every AFC team they play. It can only help the Texans.

I don't think that Texan fans are jealous of New Orleans for getting Reggie Bush. Our guys said....."No Thanks, well take Mario".

BTW I was also shocked to hear that not a single team attempted to trade up to get Reggie Bush when he dropped to #2, and that contrary popular believe the Saints were not jumping for joy when the Texans signed Mario. They had their eye on that prize and knew first hand what a freakish DE can do after face Julius Peppers twice a year. (This was derived from Interviews on Sirius NFL radio with several members of the Saints staff.)

South Texan
07-20-2006, 02:45 AM
I agree with those that think our defense was more in need of the high picks rather than the offense.

I strongly feel that Mario, directly or indirectly, will cause turnovers, more 3 and outs, and get our offense on the field more often.

I think management guessed right that at least 1 good lineman would still be around by our third pick. (We got lucky that there were 2 available.)

Every indication is that Reggie and Vince Young will have great careers, but Reggie's style is not what we need in our new system, and right or wrong the Front Office still has faith in Carr's potential.

What excites me most about Mario, is that he seems to have most desire of all three of the top picks to prove himself, and the talent to do it.

And on a lighter note, Anyone else think DE's will be compared to Mario instead of Peppers in the years to come??

blockhead83
07-20-2006, 02:51 AM
[Insults deleted--infantrycak]

Whereas real intellectuals troll internet message boards to ensure nobody offers anything but a glowing supposition about their new found hero.

Don't worry.....Numbskull...., there are plenty of 'Nawlins fans already policing our threads to let us know the extent of buyer's remorse we should be feeling after passing on your boy.

bigtex77
07-20-2006, 04:02 AM
who has parents whom MIGHT HAVE received benefits in college

Yeah, they MIGHT HAVE received benefits, just like Barry MIGHT HAVE used steriods, and OJ MIGHT HAVE done it. :rolleyes:

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Nice quote, I mean.. Great job trying to discredit me by using James Michener. He's a wise man. Your line of thought reminds me of what Dr. Seus once wrote: "Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/querijn/rolleyes1.gif

[Insults deleted--infantrycak]

My, my.........we have to resort to name calling............Did you have to look up who James Michener was?

Numbskull
07-20-2006, 12:38 PM
My, my.........we have to resort to name calling............Did you have to look up who James Michener was?

Wikipedia... He was a writer... a Texan.... A fan of UT Women's Basketball... wrote a bunch of books....

It wasn't much an insult.... Just said that quoting a vague statement by a dead writer was pretty unoriginal and lazy for an educated person like yourself. Tell me how you really feel in your own words about my forced ignorant perspective...

Chi2HOU
07-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Sure, he's given a nice chunk to the community to give the illusions that he's a great guy.

But in football you're only a great guy as a rookie if you don't have hold-out potential.

Bush has holdout written all over him.

Viva La Mario Williams who WILL BE in camp on time...

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Wikipedia... He was a writer... a Texan.... A fan of UT Women's Basketball... wrote a bunch of books....

It wasn't much an insult.... Just said that quoting a vague statement by a dead writer was pretty unoriginal and lazy for an educated person like yourself. Tell me how you really feel in your own words about my forced ignorant perspective...

Consider the insults and above misrepresentation of what you oiginally wrote (which our moderator INFANTRYCAK appropriately deleted) putting an end to this "conversation."

TexansLucky13
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Consider the insults and above misrepresentation of what you oiginally wrote (which our moderator INFANTRYCAK appropriately deleted) putting an end to this "conversation."

The conversation was over before it began. I pity the troll.

I would like to see both VY and RB do well, so long as they are both destroyed by Mario when the Texans play them. I liked RB before, but I agree that he is doing a bad thing down there in New Orleans. That truely is a pity.

As for Vince.... I never really liked him, and I think he will never be able to adjust to a real offense and become a drop back pocket passer more than a "one progression" passer. I think he had a chance with McNair as a mentor... but I guess that's the name of the game (at least for Dud Adams). He screwed himself over trying to spite Houston.

P.S.- This RB thing may be the prelude to a much larger situation where the Saints move to LA. I really think that it may happen soon, if LA can get the ball rolling (new stadium?).

DocBar
07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Are the sAint's fans still mad at us for picking Mario? :crying:

El Tejano
07-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Everyone be nice. Our dude will be in camp. Nuff said.

infantrycak
And do you REALLY think that no team tried to offer something to get Reggie???? come'on man don't post false things just to try to justify y'all taking Mario.

Sure there may have been some offers, but no team offered anything the Texans thought worthwhile to take a lesser player. Texans trade out for someone moving up for Bush and NO takes Mario. TN was set on a QB. The Texans would have had to move down to 4 or below--that's an approximate value of getting the #12 pick in the 1st round of this draft or an even higher one next year. Getting a 2nd or 3rd or even both doesn't come close to the same value so accepting that would only make sense if the team felt the talent of the player they would get there was essentially the same--something they obviously did not believe was the case. The closest thing to false going on with this issue is armchair GM's assuming facts and second guessing.

Lucky
what i heard was they got offers and none was overwhelming enough to not take Reggie.
What I heard on draft day (ESPN) was that the Jets offered a 4th round pick to move up 2 spots. And that's the only offer the Saints got for the pick.

mexican_texan
07-20-2006, 03:15 PM
give us some links that we can read to back up you're claim.....???
Sorry, saw it on TV. I do know however, that some of the homers were PO'd that Vince Young was wearing a Titans jersey when he visited the school, which happened to be in Houston. If you check the draft discussions, you should find them, but...just take my word for it.

HOU-TEX
07-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry, saw it on TV. I do know however, that some of the homers were PO'd that Vince Young was wearing a Titans jersey when he visited the school, which happened to be in Houston. If you check the draft discussions, you should find them, but...just take my word for it.

Probably because pud adams wanted him to. That guy needs a Tiger Woods driver to the ballsack!:ouch: Is it legal to say that?

Insideop
07-20-2006, 05:10 PM
We only got one more draft pick to sign and I'm happy with that. Other draft picks mentioned in this thread are not Texans!! Greedstar or not, who cares.
At least, we have our draft picks ready for TC and that I care.

Exactly! I have to agree with you SAMURAI on this. I don't care about who other teams drafted and if they are signed or not! I wish Bush and Young the best (except when they play us of course), but it's time to "stop feeding the trolls!" I'm more interested in our team and what they are doing.

I think it's going to be an exciting season!:gotexans1

Numbskull
07-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I liked RB before, but I agree that he is doing a bad thing down there in New Orleans. That truely is a pity.

What are you talking about? I still do not understand how charity is a bad thing. The NCAA deal is a non-issue with the Saints. On our MB, it hasn't come up as a topic of discussion in weeks... He's done nothing but excite the fans in New Orleans and show that he's willing to make a difference both on and off the field. The only reason we don't have 10 relocation threads on the front page of our board is because of the excitement he and the new regime have brought in (Drew Brees, Sean Payton, etc.). He's been a becon of hope for the "new" New Orleans. With half of the city's population MIA, the Superdome will be sold out through season tickets alone for the first time in the 31 years they have played there. Its not all Reggie, but he's part of the excitement for a city which desperately needs something to smile about.

edo783
07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
What are you talking about? I still do not understand how charity is a bad thing. The NCAA deal is a non-issue with the Saints.

And I supose the fact that his family took ~300K of money from a known gangster and southern cal gang leader (not gangsta raper or anything) LLoyd Lakes wouldn't bother anyone either. Lakes is a background member of the sports rep firm that the house and money came from and he was the one funding the firm. IMO, that is the real reason why the Texans dropped RB like a hot potatoe the Tuesday befor the draft. I doubt the Texans were real happy about the way he and his agent were acting and the NCAA thing, but when they found out about Lake they dropped him in a heartbeat. Check the San Diego newspaper about Lakes. He was just recently sent to prison on an unrelated charge.

TexansLucky13
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
What are you talking about?

I was referring to him holding out. I know the condition of the majority of NO. It will take some time before the city and the people heal. RB opening wounds isn't what I would call charity work. Maybe he needs to realize that no matter how much ESPN and Sports Illustrated try to hide it, he did in fact land 2nd in the draft. Not first. I think it was a lesson in humility for him to be passed up this past April.

P.S. - I could care less how many "gifts" his family received, or in what manner. He just needs to stop being a sore loser.

the wonger need food
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
He's done nothing but excite the fans in New Orleans and show that he's willing to make a difference both on and off the field.

Not so fast there... last I checked he wasn't exactly willing to make a difference on the field. He's looking for a few more million in his bank account before he's willing to do that.

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Not so fast there... last I checked he wasn't exactly willing to make a difference on the field. He's looking for a few more million in his bank account before he's willing to do that.

It's funny how early perception ends up present reality. This is a piece I found from mid May '06:

And I have to be honest, I'm not in love with the idea of drafting Williams as much as the idea of not drafting Bush. Two words summarized Bush in the week or two leading up to the draft – holdout and scandal. As in, will Reggie demand the 25 percent jump in guaranteed money that last year's number one pick, QB Alex Smith, got from the 49ers? And, what will be the fallout for Bush once the investigation is complete in regards to the allegations that his family lived in a wannabe agent’s house for free last year?

That’s a move straight out of the movie “Blue Chips.” Of course, in the movie it was only a tractor. But as you can tell from the Reggie Bush holdout rumors, he likes to aim for the sky. When Casserly sat down with Reggie and asked him about his parent’s housing arrangements last year, he walked away from the conversation convinced the kid was lying to him. Which tells me Bush doesn't get it - even though these allegations are serious enough that the USC running back could be the first player ever to lose his Heisman Trophy (something that even O.J. Simpson avoided). Casserly believed Bush was withholding the truth, and with everything else piled on top it was enough for the GM to say "thanks, but no thanks."

Even now, Bush is more concerned with whether or not he can wear #5 on his jersey next season than making this ugly situation with his parents go away. And there is plenty of talk that the New Orleans Saints, who grabbed Bush with the second pick in the draft, won’t be able to get Reggie signed before training camp.

Complete piece (http://blogs.foxsports.com/themurf/Reggie_Bush/6684)

srstex
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I hope the Saints use the Eagles philosophy and let him sit, let's see how much he can make outside of Football.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I hope the Saints use the Eagles philosophy and let him sit, let's see how much he can make outside of Football.

that would be hilarious

LBC_Justin
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Where did you hear that not a single team attempted to trade up to get Reggie Bush when he dropped to #2, and that contrary popular believe the Saints were not jumping for joy when the Texans signed Mario. They had their eye on that prize and knew first hand what a freakish DE can do after face Julius Peppers twice a year. (This was derived from Interviews on Sirius NFL radio with several members of the Saints staff.)????????? what i heard was they got offers and none was overwhelming enough to not take Reggie. And that was on Sirius radio.
And do you REALLY think that no team tried to offer something to get Reggie???? come'on man don't post false things just to try to justify y'all taking Mario.The interview I heard was with the General Manager of the New Orlean Saints.

I posted about it either the day of or the day after the interview (May 1st)
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=22726

Pat Kirwin also later reported(on the radio, sorry no link) that according to his inside source in the Saints Organization that they were very very quiet when Mario was signed and that they were not as estatic as the fans and the Media. They thought Reggie was great but not the perfect player for their team either.

Reggie will be great. I have no doubt. But I would rather the Texans pick Mario Williams, mainly because I spent the entire last season cussing at my TV because the Texans defense was not getting any pressure on the opposing team's QB. Plus in our division the only way to beat the Colts is to pressure Peyton.

Your happy with Reggie, We're happy with Mario. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Numbskull
07-21-2006, 08:00 PM
And I supose the fact that his family took ~300K of money from a known gangster and southern cal gang leader (not gangsta raper or anything) LLoyd Lakes wouldn't bother anyone either. Lakes is a background member of the sports rep firm that the house and money came from and he was the one funding the firm. IMO, that is the real reason why the Texans dropped RB like a hot potatoe the Tuesday befor the draft. I doubt the Texans were real happy about the way he and his agent were acting and the NCAA thing, but when they found out about Lake they dropped him in a heartbeat. Check the San Diego newspaper about Lakes. He was just recently sent to prison on an unrelated charge.

Your supposition is exactly right. We don't care whatsoever. Whether Reggie Bush's parent's might have benefitted from Reggie's status at USC is the furthest thing on New Orleans' citizens collective minds; we have more important things to worry about. Nothing has been proven as of yet and none of these accusations are carry any kind of criminal charges. If they declare him ineligable, so f'ing what? Take his Heisman, but frankly we have better things to worry about. You know what? I bet most here would hope he did it so that the NCAA could strip a national title and a half from that school. LSU fans hate USC and we have nothing but contempt for that school. This isn't New York, this isn't Chicago, this is New Orleans; "you know, the city you saw on CNN back in September with houses flooded all the way up to their 2nd floors."

Have yall actually seen, with your own two eyes, the devestation in New Orleans? I'm not talking about on TV, I mean "HAVE YOU BEEN THERE?" There are still places where there are cars turned over ontop of houses. I was over there a couple months ago helping a friend tear through the rubble of her ruined childhood home so that they could sell the house's foundation and land. WE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT REGGIE BUSH'S PARENTS! People are just trying to survive over here and make slow progress toward normalcy. Reggie Bush has brought only hope and joy to this city, nothing else.

Watch the reaction from the Saints draft party. Do you see anyone who is upset?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1241091096088941178&q=reggie+bush+saints

Then you have all this talk about a holdout. Any real observer of the NFL should realize that holdouts are a part of the game. Don't hate the player, hate the system. If he's out a week, thats part of the game when you are trying to sign a top draft pick; when you are getting upwards of 2 weeks into a holdout, then you have a real problem. Here in New Orleans, we have seen many holdouts before and they ussually only last a few days. The NFL is a business and players want to maximize their earnings when they are about to sign away their future. Thats human nature folks. In a perfect world, Reggie would have signed with the Saints the day before the draft (like Mario), but that is just not a realistic scenario. Thats great for the Texans (I guess) that they used their leverage and got a pick signed before the draft, but that was not an option for the Saints or Reggie unfortunately.

As for the Saints coveting Mario Williams over Reggie.... LOL

Seriously, you could bash Tom Benson, Cathlene Blanco, or Ray Nagin all you want and I wouldn't have really any problem with it because most of the criticism they would get would be deserved. What I see here is a bunch of bitter boys trying to convince themselves that Reggie has somehow wounded New Orleans and its football team. A slightly strained hammy that held him out of practice for a day in mini-camp got a 2 page thread here from Dr. Cloak. People here want him to fail because they want to convince themselves that their team did the right thing in passing him up. The RB hate here is purely a result of a bunch of bitter Texan fans.

the wonger need food
07-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Your supposition is exactly right. We don't care whatsoever. Whether Reggie Bush's parent's might have benefitted from Reggie's status at USC is the furthest thing on New Orleans' citizens collective minds

Exactly. That's what differentiates Aints fans from Texans fans.

Have yall actually seen, with your own two eyes, the devestation in New Orleans?

Yes we have. We've seen an increase in our crime rate by approximately 25% since we inherited New Orleans' "displaced citizens".

Then you have all this talk about a holdout. Any real observer of the NFL should realize that holdouts are a part of the game.

Really? We have had a "real" NFL team for 5 years now and never had a holdout.

Seriously, you could bash Tom Benson, Cathlene Blanco, or Ray Nagin all you want and I wouldn't have really any problem with it because most of the criticism they would get would be deserved. What I see here is a bunch of bitter boys trying to convince themselves that Reggie has somehow wounded New Orleans and its football team. A slightly strained hammy that held him out of practice for a day in mini-camp got a 2 page thread here from Dr. Cloak. People here want him to fail because they want to convince themselves that their team did the right thing in passing him up. The RB hate here is purely a result of a bunch of bitter Texan fans.

Actually, most of us don't give the Aints or its chocolate city a second thought. But I will admit that most of us will be happy to see Leon fail because we see him as a greedy, arrogant person.

edo783
07-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Your supposition is exactly right. We don't care whatsoever. Whether Reggie Bush's parent's might have benefitted from Reggie's status at USC is the furthest thing on New Orleans' citizens collective minds; we have more important things to worry about. Nothing has been proven as of yet and none of these accusations are carry any kind of criminal charges. If they declare him ineligable, so f'ing what? Take his Heisman, but frankly we have better things to worry about. You know what? .

Well, I guess this all fits well. NO is now just a pile of trash and aparently the fans are pretty much happy with, about and as trash. Good fit all around IMO. Have fun.

Overalls
07-21-2006, 08:35 PM
that would be hilarious

No what would be hilarious is that Vince is waiting till Reggie signs so he can see what he gets.

#1 pick signed
#2 pick wants more than #1 pick got and Tom Benson is not a free spender
#3 pick thinks a QB is worth more than a DE and RB and doesn't want to sell his self cheap.

Funny, funny stuff.

Numbskull
07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Exactly. That's what differentiates Aints fans from Texans fans.

Yes we have. We've seen an increase in our crime rate by approximately 25% since we inherited New Orleans' "displaced citizens".

Really? We have had a "real" NFL team for 5 years now and never had a holdout.

Actually, most of us don't give the Aints or its chocolate city a second thought. But I will admit that most of us will be happy to see Leon fail because we see him as a greedy, arrogant person.

Call me when Reggie Bush beats his wife, pulls a gun on someone, or is hit with a DUI, then you can legitimately slander RB. Till then you are either bitter or just a hater. Also, I'm not the one trolling here. Expressing a different (and more realistic) point of view is not trolling. I haven't said anything negetive about the city of Houston or the Texans. My mother's entire side of the family lives in Houston; I don't have anything against yall. Many of you however have chosen to insult both my team and city. Calling New Orleans a pile of trash is low. I could think of alot of smartass comments to reply with about both your "real" NFL team and your city, but I'll seek a higher road.

Saying that "we care about class on our football team" and then calling New Orleans a pile of trash in the next sentence illustrates the mindset of many of you.

TexansLucky13
07-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I could think of alot of smartass comments to reply with about both your "real" NFL team and your city, but I'll seek a higher road.

Hopefully that road leads you in the opposite direction of the fair city of Houston. We'll even make you some "special" brownies for your trip back home. You have done nothing but act a fool so far, and you deserve the responses to this point. I would not personally insult the city of NO, but I have to tell you from experience.... this time the boot fits. So lets just move on and compare W-L at the end of this season. You might be moving in with yo mommas family over here in H-town after you see what these Texans can do.

Numbskull
07-21-2006, 10:25 PM
You might be moving in with yo mommas family over here in H-town after you see what these Texans can do.

LOL, we'll sure see.

the wonger need food
07-22-2006, 10:15 AM
We'll see how much love New Orleans fans have for Leon if this happens... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkaZfLI889AxVfjm3tI_jlFDubYF?slug=jc-bush072106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

CloakNNNdagger
07-22-2006, 10:35 AM
We'll see how much love New Orleans fans have for Leon if this happens... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkaZfLI889AxVfjm3tI_jlFDubYF?slug=jc-bush072106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bush to hold out (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=25103&page=5)

Texans_Chick
07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
PFT stuff (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Heh.

BUSH SITTING OUT THE YEAR?

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that Saints tailback Reggie Bush is contemplating sitting out the entire 2006 season and re-entering the draft next year if he doesn't get the kind of contract he thinks he deserves.

His leverage? More than $5 million in endorsement deals that don't require him to actually play football this season and a local fan base that thinks he's Jesus -- and that Saints owner Tom Benson is Beelzebub.

On the surface, Cole's item reads like a shill job for Bush, Segal, and/or Bush marketing agent Mike Ornstein. But unless Cole has undergone an organic personality change since jumping from the Miami Herald to Yahoo!, the last guy for whom he'd be in the tank is Bush. After all, Cole was at the leading edge of the story regarding Bush's dealings with New Era Sports & Enterainment, which helped fuel the controversy that dropped Bush to No. 2. Cole likewise has raised questions regarding Bush's relationship with Ornstein.

Instead, the Segal shill is Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com, and to date Len has yet to suggest that Bush would sit out for the entire season. (In Friday's "Inside" -- i.e., not free -- Tip Sheet, Pasquarelli says that if the Saints try to work off of the deal that running back Ronnie Brown received as the No. 2 overall pick in 2005, "that won't get a deal done.")

And we're glad to see that someone in the "real" media other than the Clarion-Ledger is mentioning on the looming threat of a protracted holdout by Bush. The AP shockingly failed to pick up the item from earlier in the week in the Jackson, Mississippi newspaper regarding Bush's belief that the Saints promised to pay him as if he were the No. 1 overall pick, and regarding Ornstein's belief that a holdout is likely.

Surely, Bush and his advisers think that the money Reggie has sprinkled over various New Orleans charities is enough to secure for him the full support of the man on the street in New Orleans. But will it? With $5 million already in his pocket, why does he need to squeeze so much more money out of the Saints than his position in the draft merits, especially when so many of the men on the street are still struggling after Katrina?

Look, it's not the Saints' fault that the Texans, who held the No. 1 pick, concluded Bush was lying to them about the involvement of him and/or his family with folks in San Diego who allegedly provided rent-free housing and cold, hard cash in an effort to get the gig that Ornstein ultimately landed.

We don't think Bush is serious about sitting out the year, because there's no way he'd be drafted No. 1 or No. 2 in 2007 after exposing himself as a complete and total turd by refusing to play for the Saints. But it's now obvious that there is a strong likelihood of a holdout lasting deep into training camp. So that picture of Reggie wearing his New Orleans uni on the cover of the current Sports Illustrated might be the last time anyone sees him in those colors for a long time.

Meanwhile, how smart do the Texans now look for telling Bush to get bent?

This will be sad for everyone if someone with the potential of Bush gets derailed because of the money thing. There have been lots of hyped college players that got off-track making the jump--protracted holdouts are stupid.

aj.
07-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Why are we surprised?

I think in addition to the housing situation, the Texans realized back in mid-April that 5's priorities are clearly not football first.

Bob McNair: "Hello Reggie, welcome to Houston."

Blackberry buzzz...

Hollywood: "Hello? Yeah. Yeah... okay sure, hang on a minute.... hey Joel, tell this McNair dude to hang on a sec, Nike's on the phone."

Hang up.

Hollywood: "Sorry about that."

McNair: "No problem, welcome to Hou..."

Blackberry buzzz...

Hollywood: " Uh hang on a sec. Yeah, yeah, the NFL Office? Uh huh. Uh huh. What? Whaddaya mean I can't wear #5!"

I'm happy with the big humble kid from the small town in North Carolina. At least for now.

nunusguy
07-22-2006, 12:49 PM
"More than $5 million in endorsement deals that don't require him to actually play football this season and a local fan base that thinks he's Jesus "
I dunno, but when I watch the ESPN talking heads going on and on about Bush as soon as his name is mentioned, I get this same suspicious feeling as when I watch the TV financial gurus on the stock market shows going on and on about a particular stock they obviously want you to buy and I hear this voice that keeps saying in my mind "caveat emptor..caveat emptor".
Then at the end of the pitch about Bush, I almost expect to hear the ESPN
guys say something like you know ABC owns us and Disney owns ABC, and Disney will be coming out with a new movie starring Reggie Bush, just as the
financial guys are required by the SEC to give minimal disclosure re their own
personal equity portfolios.
I think celebrity Bush/Bush Inc. is already a bigger deal than Reggie Bush the
college football ever was. But I'm still very much looking forward to seeing the real football player on the field in the NFL, whenever that will be, to see how he stacks up against the legend.

Coach C.
07-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Bush will make camp, and yes he should be taking the Saints for as much as he can get them for. It is the Saints people. The kid wont sit out football, because he loves the game, but he is expecting Benson and Co. to come through on their promise to treat him like he was the number 1 pick.

OzzO
07-22-2006, 01:13 PM
...As for the Saints coveting Mario Williams over Reggie.... LOL....
Betcha they would've taken Mario if we didn't. From the Saints website (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=2418), an interview with Mickey Loomis
Q: Were you eating with Sean Payton when you heard that the Texans signed Mario Williams?

A: "We were going to dinner and got that call. We were surprised. I wouldn't say shocked. Mario Williams is a great player. We think an awful lot of Mario Williams. I don't think Houston needs any criticism for taking him. This kid's (Reggie Bush) worthy of being the first pick in the draft and in a lot years he would be, but we were surprised, but not shocked. We talked about the chance that we might have the chance to take Reggie Bush. I don't think any of us really took it seriously in terms of that opportunity, but when it came it was discussed."

Now, he didn't exactly come out and say it, but pretty close.

Numbskull
07-22-2006, 06:51 PM
All of this yahoo.com stuff is pure speculation and I have to figure that these "inside sources" are just trying to build up Reggie's negotiating power and leverage to get the best deal they can possibly get. If it comes down to that, I'll be a very unhappy camper. Still, right now it is slow news in the NFL and I don't see this as a very likely scenario whatsoever. Reggie will be signed and be in camp after a short holdout. The Saints and RB know whats at stake in these negotiations and things will get resolved.

I don't doubt that the Saints might have taken Mario Williams had the Texans taken Reggie. He was definately one of the players on the Saints radar at the #2 pick. Many sources though have reported that the Saints actually were poised to pick AJ Hawk at #2 if Reggie wasn't there and if they couldn't make a trade down to grab him at #4 or #5. Once Reggie came available, Saints officials immediately said that their demands went way up and that it would have taken a monster deal for them to leave Reggie to another team. Loomis was quoted as saying they didn't get an offer that they even came close to accepting and that it would have taken a "Ricky Williams" type deal for them to move the pick. Prisco reported that Sean Payton was doing handstands after he heard that yall had passed up Bush. I really doubt that the Saints had anyone rated higher than RB.

Numbskull
07-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Hmmmm... Reggie Bush bought a house in New Orleans yesterday... Why would he do that, considering yahoo.com has him holding out the entire year?

:shades:

http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/ind...l=1&thispage=2

Poydras St. 3, Unit 12-C. Succession of Roy Joseph Mossy to Reginald Alfred Bush, $1,800,000.

The Pencil Neck
07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Hmmmm... Reggie Bush bought a house in New Orleans yesterday... Why would he do that, considering yahoo.com has him holding out the entire year?

Maybe he needed somewhere to stash his family.

Anguyen
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
give us some links that we can read to back up you're claim.....???
Here is the link about Mario Williams shows big heart off field. Hope this is not repost.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2006-06-20-williams-cover_x.htm

Anguyen
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Here is the link about Mario Williams shows big heart off field. Hope this is not repost.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2006-06-20-williams-cover_x.htm
Here is the quotes about Williams.

Williams visited the "wounded warrior" barracks at Camp Lejeune, N.C. There he addressed about 50 Marines injured while fighting in Iraq. He even arm-wrestled Lance Cpl. Johnny R. Burra; Williams won the match. Williams was so moved that he invited each Marine to a Texans game this fall at his expense.

"I told him I was going to tell the media about what he did," says Steve Marshburn, who organized the appearance. "He said, 'Please don't.' But I said, 'Mario, people need to know about this.' "

HOU-TEX
07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Maybe he needed somewhere to stash his family.

That's cold man. Pretty darn funny though.lol:

HOU-TEX
07-25-2006, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=

This will be sad for everyone if someone with the potential of Bush gets derailed because of the money thing. There have been lots of hyped college players that got off-track making the jump--protracted holdouts are stupid.[/QUOTE]

Haven't several hold outs in the past gotten hurt the first year in the NFL? Cedric Benson, Kellen Winslow, etc. What comes around goes around:spy: