PDA

View Full Version : Report on Seth Wand

hollywood_texan
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I got this from an e-mail regarding my fantasy football team,

Houston Texans LT Seth Wand, a former tight end who converted to tackle, is making huge strides at left tackle this offseason. Wand, a 6-7/335-lb behemoth, has been their pet project since being taken in the 3rd round (NW Missouri State) of the 2003 draft. He was thrown into the fire in 2004 and ceded 13.5 sacks on David Carr, prompting fans and the Houston media to call for his head. Last season Wand was shuffled all over the line and finally ended up playing on special teams. This year they launched a full-on tutorial under new OL coach Mike Sherman - and he's responding nicely. Our Texans insider told us, "Wand is overpowering people in practice, to the point where it's ridiculous, they had to pull him aside during 11-on-11's one time and tell him to save it for training camp." With Pro Bowl center Mike Flanagan (who also came from Green Bay with Sherman) making line calls the Texans front-five could be much more efficient this year.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

YoungTexanFan
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM

Houston Texans LT Seth Wand, a former tight end who converted to tackle, is making huge strides at left tackle this offseason. Wand, a 6-7/335-lb behemoth, has been their pet project since being taken in the 3rd round (NW Missouri State) of the 2003 draft. He was thrown into the fire in 2004 and ceded 13.5 sacks on David Carr, prompting fans and the Houston media to call for his head. Last season Wand was shuffled all over the line and finally ended up playing on special teams. This year they launched a full-on tutorial under new OL coach Mike Sherman - and he's responding nicely. Our Texans insider told us, "Wand is overpowering people in practice, to the point where it's ridiculous, they had to pull him aside during 11-on-11's one time and tell him to save it for training camp." With Pro Bowl center Mike Flanagan (who also came from Green Bay with Sherman) making line calls the Texans front-five could be much more efficient this year.

Its great to see he is overpowering, but I always heard that he lacked upper body strength for such a big man. His footwork however, has never been questioned.

Wolf
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I like to hear that, but I am cautious being that the full pads haven't been put on yet.

TexanFan881
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I guess that's the best way you can get taken off the field :)

wags
07-17-2006, 06:57 PM
I need to see it on Sunday... about 16 times.

infantrycak
07-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Well the facts are interesting. Wand was 321 lbs coming out of college and is listed by the Texans at 327 lbs. Would be surprised if the Texans asked him to or were happy with him moving up to 335 lbs--seems a lot more likely for them to ask him to get down to 310-315 lbs. Maybe he played HS TE, but all his college experience was at OT. As for his upper body strength, it is important to differentiate coming out of college from the present--he came from a school with if memory serves no official weight program and maybe no separate OL coach. He has been reported as a big improvement guy in the Texans' strength and conditioning program.

Thanks for the heads up HT--if he makes a big jump it is HUGE to the OL and the O as a whole.

AtheGreat
07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Well the facts are interesting. Wand was 321 lbs coming out of college and is listed by the Texans at 327 lbs. Would be surprised if the Texans asked him to or were happy with him moving up to 335 lbs--seems a lot more likely for them to ask him to get down to 310-315 lbs.

Yeah, that is interesting. I thought a big part of the ZBS was the lighter but quicker lineman. Either way, im sure Mike Sherman knows what he is doing. Good to see some postive news about our Oline for once!

:texflag:

Coach C.
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I am inclined to be skeptical of this email man. Not saying Seth has played badly, but he has only dominated against the lower second string and third string guys. Peek, Mario, and Babin have used him on a constant basis. I am speaking from seeing this first hand, so maybe I missed this ultimate domination, but I doubt that I did.

TexanSam
07-17-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm a little skeptical. Who is the insider? I would have more confidence in it if it said "Gary Kubiak says Wand is overpowering people". I think Wand will be better but the email looks fishy.

TexansJunkE
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I remember on Fridays before games we would have walk throughs in shorts, tee's and helmets. I rememer that everyone on the team lloked like a gamer all the way down from the water boy. Then when the pads were strapped on and the hitting commenced it always let you know where you stood. So in other words who cares what people do in walks throughs and practice. IT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PADS ARE ON AND HITTING STARTS WHAT MATTERS!:listening

aj.
07-17-2006, 08:23 PM
hyperbole ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-prb-l)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed : huper, beyond; see hyper- + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European Roots.]

jerek
07-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I am inclined to be skeptical of this email man. Not saying Seth has played badly, but he has only dominated against the lower second string and third string guys. Peek, Mario, and Babin have used him on a constant basis. I am speaking from seeing this first hand, so maybe I missed this ultimate domination, but I doubt that I did.

I second the motion. I missed out on attending the mini camps but I have heard it from two people -- both of them football analysts I trust -- that personally sat through these camps and said Wand was the one looking bad. I'm not going to go into it again as last time I said something, the Wand Fan Club rode my case about it, but suffice it to say I'm not holding my breath. But ... if he's really all that this time around, I'll be more than happy for the guy and what he'll do for the team as a result.

HJam72
07-17-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't know if I'd be too terribly happy to here that Seth Wand is dominating our #1 overall draft pick anyway. It's all relative. Even if it were completely true, I want to see him dominate opponents, instead of all our currently unproven talent.

Hervoyel
07-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Seth Wand will surprise many people this year. I've been saying that since Joe Pendry got his talentless carcass kicked out the door and I am still absolutely certain that I'm right.

HJam72
07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Seth Wand will surprise many people this year. I've been saying that since Joe Pendry got his talentless carcass kicked out the door and I am still absolutely certain that I'm right.

In the greater scheme of things (football-wise, I mean), It's about that time. Seth Wand has been thrown to the wolves, under-coached, through his growing pains, and then stuck on the bench just when he might have been ready to show improvement. With Kubiak and Sherman and that experience stuck behind him (thank God), he MIGHT be ready to look completely different from what we're used to. I just need to wait and actually see it before I'll get too excited.

You're certainly right about Pendry's talentless carcass. :)

tex
07-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I've always liked Wand so I hope he becomes a force for the Texans.

Texans_Chick
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah, that is interesting. I thought a big part of the ZBS was the lighter but quicker lineman. Either way, im sure Mike Sherman knows what he is doing. Good to see some postive news about our Oline for once!

:texflag:

Quick linemen that can move are in important, but Denver has had some big guys too.

There was an interesting comment in my blog a while back suggesting that the Texans offense may not put quite the premium that Denver had on light linemen because the Texans play at sea level and Denver needed lighter ones for the home altitude games. Just complete and rank speculation, of course, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

As for Wand dominating or being used. Blah blah blah and whatever. Don't trust nothing until some dang hittin is going on.

Edit: Here (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/more_on_the_texans_gulf_coast.html) is the link to the blog post on this if you are interested. Look near the end.

Runner
07-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Well the facts are interesting. Wand was 321 lbs coming out of college and is listed by the Texans at 327 lbs. Would be surprised if the Texans asked him to or were happy with him moving up to 335 lbs--seems a lot more likely for them to ask him to get down to 310-315 lbs. Maybe he played HS TE, but all his college experience was at OT. As for his upper body strength, it is important to differentiate coming out of college from the present--he came from a school with if memory serves no official weight program and maybe no separate OL coach. He has been reported as a big improvement guy in the Texans' strength and conditioning program.

310-315 will be his playing weight this year. People get this "converted tight end" stuff from his rookie season when he lined up at tight end in what was basically a 3 OT set. Given his college vs the Texan weight program, I'm sure he'll be stronger even at a lower than college weight.

n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed : huper, beyond; see hyper- + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European Roots.]

Agreed 100%.

Agreed 100% again.

------------------------

I'm going with the opinions of coaches I trust - Sherman and Kubiak - in that order on this topic. A few people spin their use of Wand as first string left tackle as "an experiment" or "doomed to fail", but I don't think any of our coaches are going to waste all of OTAs and mini-camps on a player who is constantly "owned". The coaches evaluate players from a much better perspective than anyone else, so I trust coaches that have proven their competence in their area of expertise. I'm sure if and when Wand makes it through training camp as a starter we'll start to hear how he'll never make it through pre-season. That's the nature of fandom.

MorKnolle
07-17-2006, 10:41 PM

The bolded part is the biggest crock of BS I've heard from the two practices I saw and anything I've heard about Wand thusfar. I still believe Wand will be replaced in the starting lineup before the season starts, may have already happened from the way things sounded in practice.

I'm going with the opinions of coaches I trust - Sherman and Kubiak - in that order on this topic. A few people spin their use of Wand as first string left tackle as "an experiment" or "doomed to fail", but I don't think any of our coaches are going to waste all of OTAs and mini-camps on a player who is constantly "owned". The coaches evaluate players from a much better perspective than anyone else, so I trust coaches that have proven their competence in their area of expertise. I'm sure if and when Wand makes it through training camp as a starter we'll start to hear how he'll never make it through pre-season. That's the nature of fandom.

Understood, but at the same time I question whether Kubiak would have drafted two OTs on the first day of the draft if they were all that sure that Wand would end up being their long-term solution, and from the practices I saw Wand was the one getting dominated repeatedly, not the other way around, and I've heard speculation that he will soon be removed from the starting lineup if he hasn't already. At this point everything is speculation though, in 11 days we get to see them in live action in pads and everything, I am pumped about July 28th and will definitely be there.

infantrycak
07-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Nobody has to reveal their identity or any confidence, but I will say all the "I was there" or "I have a source" testimony is starting to conflict. It sure might help if folks explained how they got to Texans' mini-camps rather than just said they were there. I know how aj got there--being a 30 year Houston football fan with a rather astute knowledge of the game and ability to write entertainingly.

MorKnolle
07-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Nobody has to reveal their identity or any confidence, but I will say all the "I was there" or "I have a source" testimony is starting to conflict. It sure might help if folks explained how they got to Texans' mini-camps rather than just said they were there. I know how aj got there--being a 30 year Houston football fan with a rather astute knowledge of the game and ability to write entertainingly.

Minicamps and OTAs were open to guests of players/coaches/staff, and I for one am lucky enough to know someone that could get me in to a few of the practices, so I have seen a decent amount first hand in addition to anything that I hear from the media or the people I know over there (when said conflicts arise I go with my firsthand knowledge or what I hear directly from people that I am certain know what they are talking about over media and any other "sources" on places like the MB).

Runner
07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Understood, but at the same time I question whether Kubiak would have drafted two OTs on the first day of the draft if they were all that sure that Wand would end up being their long-term solution, and from the practices I saw Wand was the one getting dominated repeatedly, not the other way around, and I've heard speculation that he will soon be removed from the starting lineup if he hasn't already. At this point everything is speculation though, in 11 days we get to see them in live action in pads and everything, I am pumped about July 28th and will definitely be there.

Yeah, but I saw similar "insider" speculation posted on the board early in the off-season that he'd be lucky not to be cut before OTAs - this was at the same time the coaches were inserting him at the top of the depth chart.

As far as drafting tackles goes, do you remember that after his second season Wand got a pretty big bonus from the players association? That was because his starting 16 games in his second year greatly exceeded the expectations for a person of his pay rate. Since the pay rate is pretty well determined by draft slot, he was exceeding expectations for a second year 3rd round tackle. I hope we don't have to rely on one or two rookie 3rd round tackles this year - we'd be pretty lucky if that worked out. I understand you personally consider Winston better than a 3rd rounder though.

Also, we drafted two tackles but we will be needing a right tackle soon regardless of Wand's performance - Weigert isn't so young/healthy any more. The second tackle is good insurance if Wand does falter, but he may need some NFL seasoning before he's ready to be a heavy contributor anyway.

Finally, Yes! It will be nice to get some pads on and some pre-season games in. OTA performances are kind of like combine numbers - if the OTA performance/combine numbers support a poster's viewpoint they are important; if they don't support the view they are irrelevant.

HJam72
07-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't see anything 'till preseason, so my opinions this time of year, in particular, are pretty much BS, but you guys already know that. :tease:

TexansSeminole
07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Its great to see he is overpowering, but I always heard that he lacked upper body strength for such a big man. His footwork however, has never been questioned.

I dont know if thats true but, thinking about it, I would rather have a tackle that had good footwork as apposed to ideal upper body strength. Especially in this scheme.

TwinSisters
07-18-2006, 01:48 AM
n.

Ah yes. hmmm... alright, I think I understand. Let me try...

SETH WAND, n. Pronunciation ( free-inch pan-see )

A cornerstone piece to the Maginot line.

YoungTexanFan
07-18-2006, 02:06 AM
I dont know if thats true but, thinking about it, I would rather have a tackle that had good footwork as apposed to ideal upper body strength. Especially in this scheme.

This isn't something (upper body strength) that I am recalling from his college days, this is something as in last year. I would also rather take footwork, but if he doesn't have the hand punch, the defender is going to be inside his arms and he will be on his heels and his butt very quickly. When the O-tackle no longer needs to extend his arms and lock them out to a point, three things are about to happen: 1.) defender blows by for a sack 2.) defender pancakes the tackle, then goes and gets the sack 3.)the o-tackle is forced to grab onto whatever he can, and with his arms outside the defenders, it is an easy automatic holding every time.

Footspeed is great, but he has to be able to hold up well at the point of attack. If he can do this, he will have my full support. I am nuetral on Wand at this point in time however.

TexansSeminole
07-18-2006, 02:12 AM
This isn't something (upper body strength) that I am recalling from his college days, this is something as in last year. I would also rather take footwork, but if he doesn't have the hand punch, the defender is going to be inside his arms and he will be on his heels and his butt very quickly. When the O-tackle no longer needs to extend his arms and lock them out to a point, three things are about to happen: 1.) defender blows by for a sack 2.) defender pancakes the tackle, then goes and gets the sack 3.)the o-tackle is forced to grab onto whatever he can, and with his arms outside the defenders, it is an easy automatic holding every time.

Footspeed is great, but he has to be able to hold up well at the point of attack. If he can do this, he will have my full support. I am nuetral on Wand at this point in time however.

I am neutral as well. I agree with you. He needs to show me this year.

I like the fact that he has good footwork though. I hate to see plays fail because an offensive lineman wasnt able to block where he was supposed to because of immobility.

beerlover
07-18-2006, 03:51 AM
seems like there have been gross mis-calculations & the new regime has been fast revamping not only the scheme but the personel as well. so it is that I sense alot of fans just wish to put behind them the failures of the past. I know coming into last season I took a huge hit in regards to Wands output or lack thereof, having him as one of my top 5 Texans (what was I thinking?).

personally I still wish him the best, but like many I also feel bewildered that Seth has suddenly transformed into the HULK, yeah yeah yeah his footwork and intelligence cast a long shawdow in the general scheme of things, but overpowering?

whatever :bowser:

mexican_texan
07-18-2006, 04:11 AM
I won't read too much into this for I read and heard some good scouting reports on Victor Riley last year. I know some of the people on this board have liked Wand and wanted him in the lineup last year, but he didn't play well. To me, he seemed shell shocked or confused about what he had to do, I don't think it had much to do with skill. Yet, I would rather have our new behemoth, Spencer, start alongside Pitts sometime in the season. We've heard better reports on him, but he is still a rookie, just as Wand was/is a project. I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Spencer-Pitts-Flannagan-McKinney-Wiegart

TexansSeminole
07-18-2006, 05:26 AM
I'd rather have Winston in there than Wiegart. I think that if Wiegart messes up alot in the beginning of the season, or preseason, we will see Winston coming into this spot. But I would also rather have Wand than Spencer.

HJam72
07-18-2006, 05:46 AM
At least we know that McKinney isn't our #1 center.

Runner
07-18-2006, 08:08 AM
At least we know that McKinney isn't our #1 center.

Or #2.

Coach C.
07-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Minicamps and OTAs were open to guests of players/coaches/staff, and I for one am lucky enough to know someone that could get me in to a few of the practices, so I have seen a decent amount first hand in addition to anything that I hear from the media or the people I know over there (when said conflicts arise I go with my firsthand knowledge or what I hear directly from people that I am certain know what they are talking about over media and any other "sources" on places like the MB).

I am in the same boat as Morknolle, it just happens that I am lucky enough to know someone that can have me around the players and personel. Wand has not looked as bad as Pendry or the previous coaching staff made him seem, but his problems have been exploited greatly by our defensive line. I am not sure who AJ is and I would like to mee the guy at one practice or another, but he has watched alot of football and if he was there he saw Wand getting used repeatedly.

Texans Horror
07-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Wand's doing fine and the coaches are happy. I say let's wait for the pads, but I guess if you think Wand is either doughy or has bad football IQ, you're probably biased in the first place. There is a lot to be said for what a person on the sidelines brings to the practice.

Hulk75
07-18-2006, 09:24 AM
.............:confused: I dont know about that but............Nice to here that he is doing good, I dont care who starts just put AND KEEP the best guys on the field.
I hope this is our starting "line"up for the 1st game..............
Wand/Winston
Pitts
Flanagan
Wiegert
Spencer-I really think this guy is a good one.

Texans Horror
07-18-2006, 09:30 AM
.............:confused: I dont know about that but............Nice to here that he is doing good, I dont care who starts just put AND KEEP the best guys on the field.
Wand/Winston
Pitts
Flanagan
Wiegert

I agree with you. I want to see the best players on the field. However, just by virtue of them being rookies, I suspect neither Spenser nor Winston will be starters. This is what I think the starting lineup will look like:

Wand
Pitts
Flanagan
McKinney
Wiegert

Runner
07-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I am in the same boat as Morknolle, it just happens that I am lucky enough to know someone that can have me around the players and personel. Wand has not looked as bad as Pendry or the previous coaching staff made him seem, but his problems have been exploited greatly by our defensive line. I am not sure who AJ is and I would like to mee the guy at one practice or another, but he has watched alot of football and if he was there he saw Wand getting used repeatedly.

When I first saw this thread I was going to stay out of it, but since it contains more reasoning than some other "he sucks because I say so" threads, I'll play a while longer.

I think the bolded portion is a key statement in what you've said. Wand came into the league as a project that needed two things: an NFL weight program and good coaching. He did not receive the good coaching. In fact, one of our veteran lineman told the new coaching staff when they arrived that not only had Wand not received "good" coaching, but he was being taught to do things wrong. The player said that Wand was being taught techniques he had never seen before, and those techniques were just bad.

I think the coaches see that Wand can improve drastically over time just by applying what he is learning from the new competent coaching staff. I'm sure he makes some mistakes - he's starting a pretty steep learning curve. I'm also sure he isn't the only player that is making mistakes right now. We expect almost everyone from lineman like McKinney to defensive players like Babin to highly compensated players like Carr to pro-bowlers like Dre Johnson to improve their performance with the new coaching staff. Wand is no different and could just as easily step up to meet expectations.

TwinSisters
07-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Wand/Winston
Pitts
Flanagan
Wiegert

DANG Hulk!

You want to see two rookies on the ends when Carr needs to have a break out season?

Pitts should finally be ready to hold down the left fort with McKinney holding the gate. With plenty of double TE sets, he should do fine and not look so bad. Winston/Spencer can cut their teeth behind Salaam and Wiegert on the strong side.

The Pencil Neck
07-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Nice to here that he is doing good, I dont care who starts just put AND KEEP the best guys on the field.
I hope this is our starting "line"up for the 1st game...

Well, like you, I want the coaching staff to put the best group of guys out there but... I don't have any hopes of a particular line up.

jerek
07-18-2006, 11:10 AM
If Wand can play ball, let him, and bring it on. It will be interesting to see who's right out of this; I have a lot of faith and cred in my sources but I've generally trusted Runner's take on things too. Bottom line I'm not the coach and I don't know what playing OL is about, other than I know there's no way I'd ever want the job. It's cliche but true; OL is the single most hardest job on the field.

Does anybody else still wish we were starting Pitts at T? I can't help but think I liked his performance there last year. He more or less shut down Freeney and I don't remember him ever really screwing anything up. Oh well ... we'll see how the new guy (whoever it ends up being) works out.

wrestler4life
07-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I don't think that you can go from special teams/non-factor to dominator in a few months, even with the best coaching. There was a reason he was not playing last year. I really hope that he does improve and can make an impact. I just don't believe that he is "dominating" anyone other than second stringers and practice squad fodder.

Runner
07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Does anybody else still wish we were starting Pitts at T? I can't help but think I liked his performance there last year. He more or less shut down Freeney and I don't remember him ever really screwing anything up. Oh well ... we'll see how the new guy (whoever it ends up being) works out.

I've noticed that Pitts has fallen out of discussions for a while now. I think this is a sign that the fans have confidence in him and aren't too worried about him handling his responsibilities.

I think, and this is certainly just opinion, that Pitts may really blossom at guard this year. With Wand/Spencer/Winston he may - consciously or subconsciously - now accept that the more "glamorous" LT slot is not dangling just within his reach anymore. I think he'll show improvement in the team aspects of o-line play, just like everyone else improves some aspect of their own play. I would not be surprised if the left side of our line ends up stronger than the right.

If Pitts does end up at tackle again, I think it will be because of a rash of injuires or because the coaches really messed up their evaluations going into the season. Neither of these scenarios is very appealing.

HOU-TEX
07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Texans_Chick]Quick linemen that can move are in important, but Denver has had some big guys too.

There was an interesting comment in my blog a while back suggesting that the Texans offense may not put quite the premium that Denver had on light linemen because the Texans play at sea level and Denver needed lighter ones for the home altitude games. Just complete and rank speculation, of course, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

As for Wand dominating or being used. Blah blah blah and whatever. Don't trust nothing until some dang hittin is going on.

I agree. Slap on some pads and match him up with Mario. That should be a pretty darn good test.:drool:

TwinSisters
07-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Pitts has played every single down for the Texans... I find it really hard to believe that he will replaced on the line without injury or being beat in regular season play.

EDIT:

Also the Denver altitude factor doesn't have any long term effects. KC, Minnesota, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Green Bay, and yes oddly enough Detroit and San Fran have comparable W to L ratios at home. KC even tops Denver over-all and hangs with them over the past 15 years.

SO... if a ZBS really took advantage of the altitude, then you would expect to see more of a difference in the past 15 years.

infantrycak
07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't think that you can go from special teams/non-factor to dominator in a few months, even with the best coaching. There was a reason he was not playing last year. I really hope that he does improve and can make an impact. I just don't believe that he is "dominating" anyone other than second stringers and practice squad fodder.

Yeah--it is called Pendry being talentless as an OL coach. Wand at his worst in 2004 looked better than Victor Riley. The minute Pendry walked up to Capers and said he wanted Riley at LT, Capers should have fired him as incompetent.

HOU-TEX
07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah--it is called Pendry being talentless as an OL coach. Wand at his worst in 2004 looked better than Victor Riley. The minute Pendry walked up to Capers and said he wanted Riley at LT, Capers should have fired him as incompetent.

You're correct, but instead of firing him he gave him a promotion to OC. It's hard to beleive they're gone. Pffft, right!:francis:

wrestler4life
07-18-2006, 02:03 PM
It is like on Seinfeld, when Elaine did not want to fire the rough army guy, so she kept promoting him...
Ahhhhh...good times, good times....

Texans86
07-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I think, and this is certainly just opinion, that Pitts may really blossom at guard this year. With Wand/Spencer/Winston he may - consciously or subconsciously - now accept that the more "glamorous" LT slot is not dangling just within his reach anymore. I think he'll show improvement in the team aspects of o-line play, just like everyone else improves some aspect of their own play. I would not be surprised if the left side of our line ends up stronger than the right.

I wonder if a Pro Bowl guard can make more than an average LT.

Hulk75
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
DANG Hulk!

You want to see two rookies on the ends when Carr needs to have a break out season?

Pitts should finally be ready to hold down the left fort with McKinney holding the gate. With plenty of double TE sets, he should do fine and not look so bad. Winston/Spencer can cut their teeth behind Salaam and Wiegert on the strong side.
If they are better YEA why not, got to get them in sometime right?

I believe that the 2 Tackles we got will start for us at some point.

edo783
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Mmmm, that guard Hutchison, from the Seahawks seems to have made out fairly well.

Texans86
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Mmmm, that guard Hutchison, from the Seahawks seems to have made out fairly well.

Very true. I never saw Pitts becoming a dominant LT like some people thought he could. I do however see him as an extremely good guard. One reason he liked LT was that he got payed more. We'll see soon enough if he really is a dominant guard.

infantrycak
07-18-2006, 04:02 PM
One reason he liked LT was that he got payed more.

Potentially paid more maybe. His rookie contract was slotted so no difference for guard of tackle. His 2nd contract came upon the heels of his moving to guard and certainly isn't premium tackle money.

Texans86
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Potentially paid more maybe. His rookie contract was slotted so no difference for guard of tackle. His 2nd contract came upon the heels of his moving to guard and certainly isn't premium tackle money.

Thanks for correcting. That's what I meant. LTs can make more money, which is why he wanted to stay there.

TwinSisters
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
If they are better YEA why not, got to get them in sometime right?

I believe that the 2 Tackles we got will start for us at some point.

Understood.

however, If they turn out to be the best we got... the odds are heavily stacked against us to pulling out a even half way decent season. It's hard enough to find one good starting tackle in the 1st round of the draft. If those guys panned out, that would mean we found 2 after the second round.

real
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Ask Steve Hutchinson...