PDA

View Full Version : Can The Texans Be This Year's Miami Dolphins?

RTP2110
07-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Does anyone think we have a good chance at having a surprising season this year? We have Kubiak coming in as a 1st year head coach like Miami had Saban last year. Both have high drafte picks with Williams and Brown. Hopefully we can have a great season and win 7-9 games.

NoBullTexan
07-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Why not? We will be 8-8, or better.

Tailgate
07-16-2006, 09:46 PM
There is no better time to have high hopes than now. :thumbup

aj.
07-16-2006, 10:03 PM
3-7 after Week 11 is a possibility. It's that 6 game winning streak to end the season that's going to be tough.

aj.
07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, this was a good thread while it lasted.

wags
07-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, this was a good thread while it lasted.

Yep. Someone just poured gasoline all over it and it's about to catch fire.

YoungTexanFan
07-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I feel most of miamis sucess was built on youth, heart, and a fast defense. We are working on all three, but the last one being able to completely do it's job as Miami's defense did last year will be the key IMO. Of course we do have one of their D-cordinators who says he wants to be agressive. :rolleyes:

aj.
07-16-2006, 10:24 PM
And hopefully he learned something from Saban because it was Saban's defense he was co-implementing.

NATHANHALE
07-16-2006, 10:25 PM
I feel most of miamis sucess was built on youth, heart, and a fast defense. We are working on all three, but the last one being able to completely do it's job as Miami's defense did last year will be the key IMO. Of course we do have one of their D-cordinators who says he wants to be agressive. :rolleyes:

...and they have Capers--could be interesting. Will he rebound?

Bobo
07-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Does anyone think we have a good chance at having a surprising season this year? We have Kubiak coming in as a 1st year head coach like Miami had Saban last year. Both have high drafte picks with Williams and Brown. Hopefully we can have a great season and win 7-9 games.

No.

Hutch13
07-17-2006, 01:20 AM
I think we definetly have a chance of becoming the Dolphins, we have that mix of youth and veterans. I Think some of this will be because David Carr will finally prove why he is chosen number one. Eric Mould will have 700 yards and 6 touchdowns

mexican_texan
07-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Why the Dolphins? I'm hoping for the 2004 Chargers. An underperforming QB(Brees/Carr) and unexpected TE(Gates/Joppru) break out and have a large part in turning around the worst team in the NFL to a playoff team. :ok:

threetoedpete
07-17-2006, 02:00 AM
They up set philly, all things are possible. Agree with A.J., this thing could get real nasty really fast if they don't. Going to a new defense, offense, and we have a brutal opening scedule. Not saing it can't be done...but a lot of players are going to have to step up befor it does. The only positive that I see is we got a decent bye this year.

TwinSisters
07-17-2006, 02:14 AM
would be nice. but you still have Carr. i wonder if he can become the QB everyone thuoght he could be under Kubiak ??

well then, we would end up just like the 05' Dolphins. New coach, new DE, pretty good turnaround, but didn't have a quarterback worth a damn. In fact they had a quarterback that was still riding his one and only decent season... which consequently was his third. Odd as it may seem, Kubiak didn't work wonders with him in Denver either.
---

Interesting Dolphins trivia... since the merger they have had only 3 losing seasons. 35 seasons and only three of them finishing as losers

76 - 6-8
88 - 6-10
04 - 4-12

Haven't had a number one overall since they started. And last year's Ronnie Brown was their highest pick at 2nd overall since 66.

Dolphins, Texans... I am not sure about that.

jagibelieve
07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
As they say all the time "Any Given Sunday". After saying that though, it's very tough in the current league to be successful after major changes.

Texans_Chick
07-17-2006, 08:58 AM
For me, I think the best comparison between the Texans/Dolphins might be the sort of season we might face. Last years Dolphins had a horrible start. They had a hard time learning the 3-4 defense (it is easier learning 4-3 than a 3-4).

And then they started winning.

With our schedule, it is quite possible that we could have a similar slow start changing stuff on both sides of the ball.

Kaiser Toro
07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
well then, we would end up just like the 05' Dolphins. New coach, new DE, pretty good turnaround, but didn't have a quarterback worth a damn. In fact they had a quarterback that was still riding his one and only decent season... which consequently was his third. Odd as it may seem, Kubiak didn't work wonders with him in Denver either.
---

Interesting Dolphins trivia... since the merger they have had only 3 losing seasons. 35 seasons and only three of them finishing as losers

76 - 6-8
88 - 6-10
04 - 4-12

Haven't had a number one overall since they started. And last year's Ronnie Brown was their highest pick at 2nd overall since 66.

Dolphins, Texans... I am not sure about that.

You mean they rarely spend money on unproven talent? Never have thought that would work as a formula for success. :rolleyes:

Hookem Horns
07-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I saw this thread and thought 72 Dolphins. I think that would be a stretch.

Texans Horror
07-17-2006, 10:47 AM
The possibility is there because Houston has a system that can turn an average back into a dominant running game. Instead of having one credible pass threat, teams are going to have to go between Moulds and Johnson. TE help (for once) will really open up the passing game.

So I think the Texans have the potential for great offense, something they haven't ever had.

The defense cannot be worse than it was last year. P-Buc is showing great signs of improvement, and the front seven have been upgraded in almost every way imaginable.

The shift to the 4-3, having Sherman on the line, and with Kubiak at the helm, this has the potential of being a really good team this year. It's not like in years past when the fans had to wonder what was really going on in management's head.

There are still a lot of questions, but I think chances are that the Texans could improve vastly, the way the Dolphins did last year, and the way many teams have done in the past four years. In 2002, the Jags were 6-10, Cinci 2-14, and Tennessee and Oakland were 11-5. The Texans are primed to turn this around.

KingRat
07-17-2006, 12:31 PM
...they go 10 & 6, if they lose, they go 6 & 10, simple as that

srstex
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
On paper we look great. and if the coaches do what we all think they can do, we can Rule The World, sorry got carried away, we can make 8 & 8, maybe 10 & 6 if the Jags stumble. We will beat the Colts this year, and Kubiak will look like a genius, and Sherman will have a new job as head coach with this year's worst team.

DocBar
07-17-2006, 01:14 PM
I saw this thread and thought 72 Dolphins. I think that would be a stretch.
a stretch like spagettification at the singularity!!!! Infinitely stretched and infinitely squeezed at the same time.

Historyhorn
07-18-2006, 09:56 AM
While the potential for great improvement over last year's effort exists, I think to expect a Miami type run at the end of the year is a stretch.

I don't believe the Texans team is as bad as they played last year, but the Dolphins, even when they were bad, had a solid to very good defense. Their anemic offensive production was the major cause for their struggles prior to Saban arriving.

The Texans on the other hand can't claim a good defense. We'll transition to the 4-3, which will entail a learning curve like the Dolphins had, but they're D is simply more talented right now. So when they got the new scheme down, they were pretty much ready to rock. We've got....potential on the Defensive side of the ball.

Our offense and even our offensive line could make huge strides toward respectability in the Kubiak system, but it is no mistake that we went with D in the first two rounds of this year's draft.

Make no mistake, I'm pleased with the direction and the program being put in place, but I think we'll be respectable this next year and then a contender for a playoff berth the year after.....assuming we draft well again. Call it tempered optimism. We won't be last year's Dolphins, but we won't be last year's Texans either.

Go Texans

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM

I don't see why not. I also don't see why the Titans can't be either.

HOU-TEX
07-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Nah, the titans will be lucky to reach 6 wins this season. We might be there too, but I don't think the titans have really improved that much unless White shows to be worth a crud.:twocents:

Bobo
07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
On paper we look great. and if the coaches do what we all think they can do, we can Rule The World, sorry got carried away, we can make 8 & 8, maybe 10 & 6 if the Jags stumble. We will beat the Colts this year, and Kubiak will look like a genius, and Sherman will have a new job as head coach with this year's worst team.

It is not wise to post when drinking.

MorKnolle
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM

The Titans didn't go thru as many changes as we did this year, so in one sense that have less differences to work thru this season and will probably have a little smoother transition than us, but at the same time we have the potential to have a much bigger positive turnaround IMO since we did overhaul so much of the team. I think if coach Fisher stays and your FO can avoid crashing the salary cap again that your team is on the right track to rebuilding and should be a playoff worthy team a couple years down the road, although as of right now I have doubts that Fisher will remain after this year which will set you back again. I still think we are a year ahead of you guys in a run to the playoffs.

South Texan
07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
New coaches, new system, Davis, Mathis, Wong questionable, potentially lots of rookies in the lineup.

I think if we go 2-4 after the first 6 games, we will be doing good. I am looking for a "click" down the stretch, including a win over Indy, the Jags, or both.

If that pointy little ball bounces our way a few times and we avoid attacks from the injury bug, I think a close to .500 season is not unrealistic. I also am NOT ruling out a Cinderella season by any means, even as good as 11 - 5 and a wildcard spot.

The two games I am really looking forward to are the back to back games with Indy and the Pats in Decemeber, I think those will a good measuring stick on what kind of team we really have.

Oh, and BTW, my birthday is Feb 4 (Super Bowl Sunday) and I have been asking God for a special birthday gift... I want to watch the Texans playing live on TV that day.

:redtowel: