PDA

View Full Version : Any Card Collectors Out There?

Luv_ya_blue
07-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Was just wondering if there were any sports cards collectors out there on the boards? I've been a collector for several years now and have had some pretty awesome pulls.

So what's your story?
What's your best card?
Favorite athlete?
Favorite Team?
Favorite card company?
Favorite Store?
Any local Houston (or your local) stores with good prices and inventory.

I've enjoyed collecting over the years and now my wife and five year old son are hooked! Expensive hobby though.

Include scans if you've got `em.
:rockets: :logo: :astros: :killerbs:

Capster67
07-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi there:
I got into collecting cards last year. In the past 15 months, I've pulled together 566 cards representing 258 players. I started following Houston football in 1978 so all my cards are Oilers (1978-1996), Gamblers (1984-85), and Texans. My favorite card is Elvin Bethea's rookie card. Another thing I'm having fun doing is collecting autographed pictures of the head coaches from 1978 on. I've got Bum Phillips, Jerry Glanvile, Jack Pardee, Jeff Fisher, and Dom Capers. Am having a heck of a time trying to find Ed Biles, Chuck Studley, Hugh Campbell and - oddly enough - Gary Kubiak. Of course I live in Denver so it's doubly tough to collect. My favorite on line card shop is www.5thqtr.com. They are awesome. Another thing I've gotten into is collecting Houston football media guides. I have every one (Oilers, Gamblers, Texans) from 1978 on (except for a 1985 Houston Gamblers guide). They are AWESOME additions to my collection. Let me know more about your collection.

Capster67
07-16-2006, 10:01 PM
My favorite Oiler all time is Ray Childress - he's still the only player whose jersey I have. I'm optimistic that David Anderson from CSU comes through as a rookie this year. Like the Colorado connection (getting a lot of those this year). I'm also a HUGE stat freak. I've spent the last 6 months on line (nursing the pain of last season) by collecting almost every stat imagineable on the team. Info is in Excel. Would be happy to share them. Let's hope this year goes better and I can get a life again :)

wags
07-16-2006, 11:31 PM
So what's your story?

I used to collect cards as a kid. I still have all my cards sitting at my parents house. Probably 60,000 or so. Still remember going to my first card show and walking up to a collector asking if he wanted to trade. He said show me what you got and I pulled out my cards from my pocket that were tied together with a rubber band. Thought the guy was going to die right there. He taught me a lesson in keeping cards safe and gave me a few holders for my cards. One of the cards in my pocket was a Clemens rookie card.

What's your best card?

I think it's a 1954 Hank Aaron. Whatever his second year card was.

Favorite athlete?

As a kid it was Dale Murphy, guy is pure class. Now it's Carr and Thomas Davis.

TexanFan881
07-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I used to collect a bunch of Basketball, Football, Hockey, Baseball, and NASCAR cards but that sort of stopped about 5 years ago. A couple months ago I stopped by my local hobby shop and I've picked up about 70 cards - rookies and texans - for a huge discount. I got a DD jersey card for $3! I can't wait to get back over there.

TexanFan881
07-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Is that in Illinois?
Got any good Urlacher's?
My son loves the Bears!!!!

Why yes it is. I'm not the biggest collector, and I don't have any Urlacher's, but my friend collects a ton and one card is barely anything to him and he drops his Texans cards off to me. I'll probably get some more once school starts in about a month.

Hutch13
07-17-2006, 02:44 AM
So what's your story?
What's your best card? Barry Bonds rookie card
Favorite athlete? um Lance Berkman or Andre Johnson
Favorite Team? Texans and Astros
Favorite card company? Topps hands down
Favorite Store? Dont know any close but if you know any in houston i would love to know

Some of my cards are pudge, arod, jeter, bagwell, biggio rookie cards i also have a roger clemens game worn jersey and albert pujols game worn jersey just to name a few. Some of the baseballs i have are the future all star game ball, Got another when i was at the astros game and Dotel gave me his ball while he was warming up and then a few years back i was sitting front row and i got one from Bags when he got the final out. I also have a jersey signed by a few of the first texans like Bosseli and Gary Walker.

Hutch13
07-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Great collection!
Here you go Hutch...
Just type in your zip code and "follow the yellow brick road."
Good luck and happy hunting.
:hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter:
http://www.topps.com/scripts/mqinterconnect.exe?link=find

Thank You, i have been looking for a place close by for a while!

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 08:33 PM
My friend collects a ton of cards (I think he said $100 a week) and he is a Bears fan. He keeps the cards that are really worth something. He knows I'm a big Texans fan. He's gotten 6 Mario Williams rookie cards this summer and only one is worth a ton. That means I'm getting 5 Mario Williams rookie cards :redtowel:

-Blue, I was talking to the guy that owns the store and he's closing it in two weeks, so I'll make sure I stop by over there and get you some Urlachers. I've got to at 5 cents a card :redtowel:

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Awesome 881!!! My son would love it!
Where is the store? Illinois right?
Yeah, that's too far for me to drive.

A $100.00 a week? Must be nice?
We are already eating SPAM because of my collection addiction! lol

lol I know. I couldn't dream of spending money like that a week. The dad must have a good job :)

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Just FYI, I bought a box of 2006 Throwback Threads baseball at a hobby shop in Jefferson City, MO.

I got it home and it was a "Hot Box."

I pulled a jersey or autograph card OUT OF EACH PACK!!!

24 total jerseys and autographs out of ONE BOX!!!

It was unbelievable.

I always try to feel the packs before I open them and if I feel a jersey, I let my son open it. Once I realized that every pack had a jersey in it, I just kept handing one after another to my son and he had a blast!

He pulled a Bagwell and Berkman jersey card and you would have thought that you gave him a million bucks!!! It was pretty cool.

The card opening experience :) The most thrilling part for any collector. Once in a lifetime you get one of those perfect boxes. I've always stayed cheap with the packs but my friend tells me all about it lol. I love jersey cards a bunch and I have a couple Texans and it's awesome to get those memorabilia cards. Congrats on the great pull :thumbup

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
You never really mentioned...
Do you have any favorites?
Not just Texans (unless they are you fav's) but on any team.

I've had my older cards packed away for a little bit now since I'm moving, and I haven't seen them in awhile, but I had an Edge rookie that I thought was pretty cool. When I went to my card store for the first time I bought over 50 cards, just Texans, along with that DD jersey that I like a lot. Then I went back and got some non-Texans. My favorites are probably my two Reggie Wayne rookie numbered, my Jeremy Shockey rookie numbered, and my Torry Holt rookie. Unlike a lot of people, I go for quanity instead of quality, and I like getting the ones that are worth a lot if I don't have to pay much for them :) I'm not going to go to the store and buy a Peyton Manning rookie for $40. I like the jersey for #3 but I'm not going any higher than that lol. You can say I'm cheap. But right now I'm trying to get my collection back going and I've got almost 100 so it's going well.

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Sorry, I meant do you have any favorite players that you'd like to have cards of. My fault.

Like I tell my wife, "You have to be able to read my mind at least every once in a while."

Oh, I see.

There's actually one player I've been looking for. Jarrett Payton. Son of the late and great Walter Peyton. I think he scored against us last year lol. I went to the card store and he said he has one and he's keeping it. He also said I'm not the only one interested. It's probably this area that respects him and his son so very much. I was looking at Ebay though and someone has two cards of him up at 75 cents with shipping so I'll probably take a good hard look at that.

I'm also looking at getting some of the Texans rookies this year. I'll leave that up to me friend lol. He gave me a Mathis last year :redtowel:

TexanFan881
07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Very cool
I've got a DD that I know you'd like.
It's a Topps Pristine Untouched and Uncirculated Refractor #ed to 25 I think? I may be completely wrong about the #.
It's in a sealed case and came from the factory that way. It's pretty sweet.

It came in a sealed case :wow: I've never seen one come like that before. And #ed? That's an awesome card you've got there :drool:

Hutch13
07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Well if you ever find any Fransico Liriano rookie cards please send me a pm. I'm convinced that if this guy stays healthy he will make it to the hall of fame and be the best pitcher of the 21st century. If you get a chance to see him pitch watch him!. i saw him in person against roger clemens and boy hes got game! oh ya how much do you think it will cost to get one of those.

TexanFan881
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I just won two Jarrett Payton cards and a lot of 13 2006 Score Houston Texans cards :redtowel: With shipping and everything it was 3 dollars. Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Jeb Putzier and Eric Moulds are in there. :)

Hutch13
07-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Today im going to the card shop And i got $75 to spend:fireball: but i dont know exactly what i want. any suggestions?? Im thinking Texans and some young baseball rookie cards.

Hutch13
07-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Suggestions?
Hutch, I've ALWAYS got suggestion...and sometimes...they even make sense. lol

If you're going to buy singles and not boxes...YOU CAN COME AWAY WITH A PILE OF GOOD STUFF.

First of all, are you familiar with "Beckett" card pricing guides? They are a BIG help to make sure they don't try and STICK IT TO YOU on the prices at the stores. They should have some copies of them at the Hobby Store.

Secondarily, I'd go with a personal favorite first! If you've got a favorite athlete, then I'd go with that: Carr, Andre, Domanick, etc. Gaffney was always one of my favorite...looking back now, not sure why?

Moulds stuff will probably go up this year if he has a good season. Maybe some of his rookies if available.

Mario, Reggie and Vince are all good choices of course. I'd stay away from the cheap crappy cards like Sage Hit, Press Pass, Topps (original), and the like. Unless you just want to be able to say, "I've got a Reggie Bush rookie card" then it's not really a good investment. My personal feeling is that Reggie's R/C's are gonna really be worth something in a couple years.

This is the best draft we've had since the 2001 Draft with Vick, LT and so on.

I'm envious Hutch! Wish I was going with ya.
Happy Hunting!
:hunter: :hunter: :hunter:
Let me know what you scored!

Thanks for the suggestion! what type of card company do you recomend like topps, upper deck, donnrus etc. Was going to give you rep. but it says i have to spread it around before giving it to you again so the minute i can, i will. Oh and i have heard of beckett and i will go buy me the magazine when i get a chance.

the wonger need food
07-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Today im going to the card shop And i got $75 to spend:fireball: but i dont know exactly what i want. any suggestions?? Im thinking Texans and some young baseball rookie cards.

A few words of advise from an on/off investor/collector for 20+ years...

- Buy packs and boxes on ebay, not at the card shop. Things are going to a lot more expensive at a retail storefront.
- Wait to buy brands that are going to maintain and/or increase in value. These generally include the higher end Upper Deck products like SP and Ultimate Collection. Graded cards are also a good investment.
- If you buy cheap cards and/or brands they will rarely increase in value.
- Be careful when buying singles on ebay. You will be lucky to get Gem Mint cards because these are usually sent off to be graded before listed.
- Don't try to make money because you won't unless you have the capital to buy in large volumes. Collecting is a lot more fun than investing.

mexican_texan
07-22-2006, 06:12 PM
I've always collected cards, I collected baseball and basketball cards as a kid and Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards as I got older(before the fad.) Today, I saw some card packs and thought I should get back in the game. I was not dissapointed. I opened my first pack and saw a rookie CC Brown card and a Battle Red Andre Johnson from his Pro Bowl year. I also got L. Arrington, Michael Bennet, and JP Losman in that pack. I decided to buy another pack, but one with 2006 rookies. I saw a rookies card pack with Leinart on the cover, but Antonio Cromartie is the only rookie I got in the pack! I got a shiny(holographic?) Marion Barber, and regular Antonio Gates, Kyle Orton and Mark Clayton cards.

I'm looking for Browns, Giants and Texans cards...anyone wanna trade?

TexanFan881
07-22-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm looking for Browns, Giants and Texans cards...anyone wanna trade?

I've got over 60 Texans cards. I don't have much of the others though. Only one you'd be interested in is my Big Numbers Jeremy Shockey rookie.

TexanFan881
07-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Giants...
Ike Hilliard Jersey Cd.
Ron Dixon Jersey Cd.
Joe Jurevicius Jersey Cd.
Double Jersey Card-->Ron Dayne & Bernie Williams
Tiki Barber Jersey Card Serial #ed 74/475
Jason Sehorn Jersey Card

Browns...
Luke McCown Rookie Game Worn Shoe Card #ed 8/100
Quincy Morgan Rookie Jersey Cd. #ed 732/1000
Dennis Northcut #ed 578/750
William Green Rookie Jersey Cd.
Kevin Johnson Jersey Cd.
Tim Couch Jersey Cd.
JaJuan Dawson 2-Color Patch Card

Texans...
I'm holding on to most of those.
Anybody in particular you're looking for?

Holy wow you've got a bunch of amazing cards. I'd be interested in trying to trade. Do you have any '06 rookies? I've got 11 or 12 #ed cards with some rookies in there too (atleast 2 Reggie Wayne #ed rookies and 1 Antonio Bryant/Larry Fitzgerald #ed rookie) if you're interested.

This is a great thread you've made here blue :thumbup

mexican_texan
07-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Giants...
Ike Hilliard Jersey Cd.
Ron Dixon Jersey Cd.
Joe Jurevicius Jersey Cd.
Double Jersey Card-->Ron Dayne & Bernie Williams
Tiki Barber Jersey Card Serial #ed 74/475
Jason Sehorn Jersey Card

Browns...
Luke McCown Rookie Game Worn Shoe Card #ed 8/100
Quincy Morgan Rookie Jersey Cd. #ed 732/1000
Dennis Northcut #ed 578/750
William Green Rookie Jersey Cd.
Kevin Johnson Jersey Cd.
Tim Couch Jersey Cd.
JaJuan Dawson 2-Color Patch Card

Texans...
I'm holding on to most of those.
Anybody in particular you're looking for?
Derek Armstrong or Glenn Earl would be great. Of course, all the big name players would be alright, but my holographic Marion Barber or rookie Antonio Cromartie would be my best offer. I wouldn't mind trading for any of the Giants cards or any of the Browns cards.

Anyone have Ruben Droughns?

Hutch13
07-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Well i went to target and bought a couple of packs nothing to special the only good things i got were a rookie topps franciso liriano card, a jeff mathis topps rookie card, a Bo Scaife leaf 2005 stars and rookies, the last one was a Dominque Byrd playoff prestige rookie card.

Hutch13
07-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I rarely buy single packs unless I know there's a jersey card in it.
If I go, I almost always buy boxes. A lot better chance to get a hot pull.
Didn't you ask about a Liriano yesterday or the day before?

ya i thought that was pretty funny. How much do the boxes cost?

Hutch13
07-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Just FYI, I bought a box of 2006 Throwback Threads baseball at a hobby shop in Jefferson City, MO.

I got it home and it was a "Hot Box."

I pulled a jersey or autograph card OUT OF EACH PACK!!!

24 total jerseys and autographs out of ONE BOX!!!

It was unbelievable.

I always try to feel the packs before I open them and if I feel a jersey, I let my son open it. Once I realized that every pack had a jersey in it, I just kept handing one after another to my son and he had a blast!

He pulled a Bagwell and Berkman jersey card and you would have thought that you gave him a million bucks!!! It was pretty cool.

My brother and Dad would do the same thing with me when i was about 5 or 6. Right after my brothers baseball tournament we would go to target and they would feel for a jersey and then let me open it, i went bannanas!:banana: I remeber about 6 years ago when my Dad and brother would find those gatorade bottles that would say Free Gatorade on the caps and i would open them, i think we got like 10 free gatorades at one time. Alright back to the main point, whats your collection Will, i have a feeling that there might be a couple of pretty cool cards. Do you sell cards on ebay, if so whats your username i might wanna check out a few of your sells.

TexanFan881
07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I just bought a box of 2006 score cards yesterday - $10 for 77 cards. You're supposed to get one bonus pack but I got two :). I think I got 20 rookie cards but I was opening them with my friend and he definately got the better box. The highlights were probably a Sinorice Moss rookie, a Santonio Holmes rookie, a Derrick Hagan rookie, and a Maurice Stovall rookie. I knew most of the rookies I got so atleast they weren't a bunch of people I didn't know. Now I've got the itch to go back and buy another box. :)

texasguy346
07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
I was an avid card collector as a kid. I'd walk from my house to the Trading Card shop (maybe about a mile walk). I still have my collection. I've got at least a few big boxes worth of baseball/basketball/football cards, and add to that another box or two worth of memorabilia. I've got a good mix of old and new stuff with cards from old guys like Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Yogi Berra to new guys like Pujols, McGwire, Bonds, Berkman, Bagwell, Biggio, etc. I've got a few autographed baseballs one is a ball autographed by Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax (by far my favorite). I've got several memorbilia pieces of Micheal Jordan some that were very limited editions. I haven't really added to the collection in quite some time, but that might change. I plan on redoing my office in my house in a way that makes it easy for me to display some of my collectibles and cards. Eventually I hope to pass the collection down to my kids.

Hutch13
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Pretty Cool Collection:thumbup i like that jabar gaffney game used texans jersey.

El Tejano
07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
I only collect the 1st round draft choices for the Texans rookie cards. I got all of them so far but no Mario Williams, anyone seen his anywhere and where I might be able to get it?

mexican_texan
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Anyone want a Bo Jackson White Sox card? I'm searching for a rookie Glenn Earl card.

Hutch13
07-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I just bought a Bob gibson game used jersey, ozzie smith game used jersey, frank robinson game used jersey and a hank greenberg game used bat all for 14.76. :redtowel: Mextex try ebay you could probably find a glen earl rookie card their.

mexican_texan
07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I got two Marcedes Lewis cards in the same pack...

Hutch13
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
I got two Marcedes Lewis cards in the same pack...

Cool what company

Hutch13
07-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Well i bought a box of ultra fleer baseball cards and i got NOTHING except a josh beckett lucky 13 :confused: what ever that is.

threetoedpete
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Well I don't have a lot of stuff. I'm just not agreesive enough. I always felt foolish pushin the kids outta da way. Anyway, Got a Moon Cap and the KC game card signed. Got a book signed by Bud. Got a Eugene Seals autograph. I hope to get squaty's, Elvin Bethea's, book signed.That's a good read btw old oiler fans, "from Canton to Trenton". I'd also like to get a Pict with Duck with mango salza and Spencer. I hope they do card show after the season. Oh and I got a "Love & Peace, Tyler Rose" picture from a folleys thingy.

JFYI- i posted about a lady I saw on the Antiques Road Show, in the "No football talk section" under "Football Cards"....eat your hearts out guys.

mexican_texan
07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Cool what company
Fleer

Hutch13
07-31-2006, 01:36 PM
I just got a leaf autographed Brian Lawerence card and a Bunkley rookie card and a Ngati rookie card.:yahoo:

TexanFan881
07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Wow is this a great thread or what :thumbup

I bought about 40 different 2006 rookie cards off ebay the other day, and I bought the complete 2006 Score Texans set and I'm getting the complete fleer set. I'm trying to get all the rookies, but there are barely any made of David Anderson and I'm not even sure if they made some for Charles Spencer. :hmmm:

Hutch13
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Anybody no where i can get some Chris Taylor stuff, from what yall are talking about he seems like a solid back who reminds of a Terrell Davis.

TexanFan881
08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Anybody no where i can get some Chris Taylor stuff, from what yall are talking about he seems like a solid back who reminds of a Terrell Davis.

I wish, I've been looking and nothing. I'd also like to know if anyone can find anything. :redtowel:

TexanFan881
08-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Nope that's not it Blue, that's from too far back. Considering he's an undrafted rookie I would think it would be hard to find any of his stuff if anything was even made which is doubtful. I've been looking for Chris McKenzie stuff too but there doesn't seem to be anything made of him either.

TexanFan881
08-01-2006, 12:49 PM
He is an RB. http://ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=hou

He's brand new. Undrafted rookie from this years draft.

Yup, two different people. :shades:

TexanDave
08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I used to sell baseball cards until so much product came out that it became impossible to keep up. Every week I was spending about $1000 on new product and then customers would only want the newest product and any leftover product from previous weeks would sit for awhile. I decided to cut my losses and get out.
I still have my inventory in storage or in boxes at home. I will have to see if I can scan some of the Texans or Houston related stuff.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-01-2006, 04:45 PM
I collected the Star Wars CCG card game cards about 8-9 years ago. I just got back into it.

Not only is it fun to collect them but it has this very strategic game that goes with it. It's so fun

Hutch13
08-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Just got my eric moulds card. It looks purtty cool.

Texan Asylum
08-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Alright, I got to tell this story. While living in Iowa, I was reading the paper and noticed a moving/garage sale ad in the classified. They listed many of the items but what caught my eye was "archery items and sports cards". Being an archer and an ex collector, I went to the sale. Once I got there, another guy had already cobbed onto the bow. Was a PSE bow, which is a good brand, but not what I shoot. Not seeing the sports cards, I asked if they were gone as well. He said..."Nah, they're still in the back of my truck." I asked if I could look at them and he took me to his P/U. Now I'm thinking a couple of shoeboxes at the most, but his pickup bed was LOADED. I mean, loaded with BIG rubbermaid large style totes and BIG cardboard boxes. I asked if he had any idea when he would unload it so someone could look at it. He says..."I was hoping someone would take the whole lot. Save me the trouble of unpacking it." I'm figuring he's wanting a price way out of my price range, but asked him what he wanted for it anyway. He comes back with a..."Oh, I don't know $10.00 or $20.00 bucks I guess." I was floored. I about busted my arm getting my wallet out of my back pocket to pay him before he changed his mind. I asked if I could use the totes he had them in to take them home, and he said..."Sure, but bring them back, I gotta use them to move with." I didn't even dicker on the price, I gave him the $20.00 due to me being a nice guy and all.

I get home and my wife sees the the pile of boxes and totes and about has a conniption right there. In the past, I used to dump untold amounts of money into collecting. Even did a few card shows on the circuit to sell some product, so she's thinking the "Demon" was back. She was pretty shocked at the amount, and often wonder if she really believed me. Anyhoo, I get the boxes unloaded, and the sheer number of PRIZE pulls that are in there were mindblowing. Out of that load I pulled out 10 or 11 Shaq rookies...Mourning rookies...a buttload of Nascar Earnhart cards, not Jr but Sr...a ton of unopened packs...top level vintage cards...and too many other top pulls that I can't even recall.

At any rate, a true story. Kind of hard to believe, but is that one rare time we all hear about but always happens to someone else. This time was my turn.

Hutch13
08-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Alright, I got to tell this story. While living in Iowa, I was reading the paper and noticed a moving/garage sale ad in the classified. They listed many of the items but what caught my eye was "archery items and sports cards". Being an archer and an ex collector, I went to the sale. Once I got there, another guy had already cobbed onto the bow. Was a PSE bow, which is a good brand, but not what I shoot. Not seeing the sports cards, I asked if they were gone as well. He said..."Nah, they're still in the back of my truck." I asked if I could look at them and he took me to his P/U. Now I'm thinking a couple of shoeboxes at the most, but his pickup bed was LOADED. I mean, loaded with BIG rubbermaid large style totes and BIG cardboard boxes. I asked if he had any idea when he would unload it so someone could look at it. He says..."I was hoping someone would take the whole lot. Save me the trouble of unpacking it." I'm figuring he's wanting a price way out of my price range, but asked him what he wanted for it anyway. He comes back with a..."Oh, I don't know $10.00 or $20.00 bucks I guess." I was floored. I about busted my arm getting my wallet out of my back pocket to pay him before he changed his mind. I asked if I could use the totes he had them in to take them home, and he said..."Sure, but bring them back, I gotta use them to move with." I didn't even dicker on the price, I gave him the $20.00 due to me being a nice guy and all.

I get home and my wife sees the the pile of boxes and totes and about has a conniption right there. In the past, I used to dump untold amounts of money into collecting. Even did a few card shows on the circuit to sell some product, so she's thinking the "Demon" was back. She was pretty shocked at the amount, and often wonder if she really believed me. Anyhoo, I get the boxes unloaded, and the sheer number of PRIZE pulls that are in there were mindblowing. Out of that load I pulled out 10 or 11 Shaq rookies...Mourning rookies...a buttload of Nascar Earnhart cards, not Jr but Sr...a ton of unopened packs...top level vintage cards...and too many other top pulls that I can't even recall.

At any rate, a true story. Kind of hard to believe, but is that one rare time we all hear about but always happens to someone else. This time was my turn.

Pretty cool story! Its one of those great so called "steals"

would give ya some rep but

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later

Hutch13
08-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Just bought a couple of topps packs and got a vince young rookie card and a wali lundy rookie card!

jerek
08-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I collected the Star Wars CCG card game cards about 8-9 years ago. I just got back into it.

Not only is it fun to collect them but it has this very strategic game that goes with it. It's so fun

I hate to say this to a Titans fan, but that's awesome dude. Me and my brother used to play that all the time. I finally sold most of my cards for way less than I paid for them and wish I hadn't now. Was a really fun game. And crap ... it really has been 8-9 years since that came out, hasn't it?

I'm getting old. :hides:

jerek
08-07-2006, 01:47 PM

That's an awesome story dude.

jerek
08-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought I had posted to this, guess not ...

I collected pretty much until I went to college, and even then played Star Wars CCG heavily, sampled a little Magic:TG and Pokemon. For years I would spend my allowance at the local card shop, which laughably is reminiscient of the Simpsons' characterization of Comic Book Guy. Have thousands of cards still put away in my closet, most of which aren't valuable and never will be. I got interested (started out in basketball) right about the time where card companies took notice of increased demand and started pumping out countless copies of their sets (89 or so.) I had the opportunity to buy a Michael Jordan rookie card near mint for several hundred dollars (was a fortune to me at the time and I couldn't have swung it) though of course now it's worth I don't even know how much more, thousands probably.

My "prized" collection includes 20-some different autographed cards, including Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Troy Aikman, Herschel Walker, Randall Cunningham, Mike Singletary, Derrick Thomas, and Dan Marino, among others. I have a copy of every single Alonzo Mourning rookie card ever made (24 or so IIRC); my best friend at the time collected Shaq ... go figure.

Hulk75
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Best Rookie Cards I have or Cards period................
Barry Sanders R
McNabb R
Edge R
Ricky Williams R
Deion Sanders R
Jevon Kearse R
Howie Long Rookie
Mike Singleterry R
Lyle Alzado R
Junior Seau R
Mark McGwire R
Shaq R
Peppers R
Vick R
LT R
Ladanian R
Bo Jackson R
Randy White R
Christian Okoya R
Derek Jeter R
Alex Rodriguez R
Nomar R
David Carr R
Dre R

Andre and Carr signed ball.

TexanFan881
08-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Anyone interested in trading? I'm looking for 06 texans rookies, auto or jersey, and I just got a Mario Williams 2x jersey 1x ball Absolute card, and I'm looking to trade it or sell it if the right price comes around. PM me if you want to offer me something :thumbup

uhcougar08
09-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Im teying to get most of the short printed Autograph rookie cards for Super Mario. So far my collection looks like this:
Donruss Elite Status 07/24
Aspire
Sge Hit The Write Stuff 16/25
Press Pass Authentics (GO Pack! #9) 23/50
Sage Master Edition 1/1
Fleer Ultra Lucky 13's
Press Pass Legends (Supermario)
Playoff Prestige 03/50
Press Pass Legends All Conference (RED) 155/260

And more to come........

uhcougar08
09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
:ok: SWEET CARD!!!:ok:
:yahoo: :yahoo:

Yeah, I paid a pretty penny for it, but the good thing is the value of the card is what I paid for it. You can not dispute that. I think I will keep this one forever. I am going to have it graded very soon.

uhcougar08
09-03-2006, 11:51 AM
You paid the FULL VALUE of it???
:yikes:
Are you a new collector?
(No offense intended?)
:hides:

There was no set value on the card, because it was new. When you purchase a card like that, Beckett will usually list it in their magazine and say it is too rare to place a value on it, but they will also list what price it recently sold for. In return, on a card like this one, the selling price is the value price, because there is only one of them. What that player does after that ,and the demand for his cards, will determine the value at a later date. Do not forget that I said I will have this card graded very soon. The card is in perfect condition, and in my opinion, it is one of the most flawless cards I have ever seen.

Farough
09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
well.. my only card I have that I really like is a Julius Jones rookie card that has been rated a 9.5/10. I got it at the NFL experience when it was just across the border. It was the highlight of the day.

Farough
09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
I took my wife and son to the NFL Experience when it was in Houston.
It was awesome! My son loved it, and he was just a little pup.

Yeah, its great the interactivity they have there. When it was in Detroit almost none of the people showed up to sign the autographs. The only player that I bothered to wait in line for was London Fletcher, none of the other big name players that were suppost to go ended up signing autographs. I understand if they don't want to do it, but why have them promote it that you will then back out? Come on now.

Farough
09-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I made a complete fool out of myself trying to kick the field goals... I'm just happy I didn't look like an idiot throwing the ball too.

Hutch13
10-23-2006, 09:34 PM
I know this really doesnt have to do with card collecting but it has to do with autograph collecting. I just got an Anthony Weaver signed mini helmet from rajun cajun tonight because of his radio show he does with 610 from 7-8. He seems like a nice guy with a big happy smile.

doughboy
10-24-2006, 07:54 PM
So what's your story? Grandfather gave me like 10 20pd boxes of cards

What's your best card? Joe Montana Rook,Dan Marino Rook,John Elway rook

Favorite athlete? Eddie George,Jim thorpe

Favorite Team?Titans

Favorite card company? Topps

Favorite Store? Wal Mart::rolleyes:

Favorite Card:Larry Johnson Jersey.