PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News Insight

F-minus67
07-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Keeping up with tradition I picked up the Sporting News football season preview from a local store and figured I save you guys $7.00, so here what they have to say;

They predict DD to fit the denver system and have his best year so far if healthy. He is also their 10th best fantasy pick, with AJ at 46. In their "5 things to look for,"
1) Carr won't be sacked as much thanks to new system
2) AJ will be a 1,000 yard reciever thanks to Moulds coming here
3) Mario will have double digit sacks and be defensive rookie of the year
4) After a rough start, the team will go 4-4 in the second half of season(even though they predicted us to go 3-13:tease: )
5) team will double interception totals from last year(7).

They also gave our draft an A-.

Here's how they ranked the team by position:
QB: B-
RB: B-
WR/TE: B
OL: C-
DL: B
LB: C+
CB/S: C-
ST: B

Dre_80
07-16-2006, 05:25 PM
thanks! :)

Lucky
07-16-2006, 08:03 PM
That's how to summarize an outside article without a cut & paste. Good work.

After a rough start, the team will go 4-4 in the second half of season(even though they predicted us to go 3-13 )

LOL! Not a lot of math majors at TSN.

Grid
07-16-2006, 08:38 PM
LOL! Not a lot of math majors at TSN.

Apparently not.. im still trying to figure out how 5 B's and 3 C's makes an A-.

sakebomb
07-16-2006, 09:07 PM
The Draft is an A-.

The other rankings are the positions breakdown of the overall team.

NoBullTexan
07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Just another eastcoast draft blurb, but the best of a bad lot at that.

Of course they always downgrade us at the beginning. I think they are way off in their won/loss prediction. No way do we go 3-13. I think we can crack even this year, at least 8-8, and with a break or two, better than that.

If DD can get that knee together in time, I would bump that RB grade up to a B+.

I will bet the offensive line will be better than C-. If things come together, and the injury bug doesn't bite too deep, I would bump the grade up to at least a B.

LBs C+ may be pretty close, but I think with the new defense we can do at least B-, maybe even better.

CBs C- is pretty brutal. IF pBurnt can have a good contract year, we can better that grade to a B, especially if we get a better pass rush out of the front four. And we will do better than, what was it, 7 ints. I am banking on 17 to 21.

Grid
07-16-2006, 11:58 PM
The Draft is an A-.

The other rankings are the positions breakdown of the overall team.

hmm..yah thats pretty obvious isnt it? :hides:

Bobo
07-17-2006, 12:32 AM
They predict DD to fit the denver system

Well, there goes the uniqueness of the Houston Texans. Didn't take them long to kill their own identity and copy somebody else's. Does this make the Houston Texans FO guilty of identity theft? Might as well wave the Bronco flags this season.

powerfuldragon
07-17-2006, 09:14 AM
so we're a C+ team at best? eh. i'd say we're a B- overall.

nunusguy
07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Here's how they ranked the team by position:
QB: B-
RB: B-
WR/TE: B
OL: C-
DL: B
LB: C+
CB/S: C-
ST: B
Even though we had an excellent Draft (they rated it an A-) and a very good
FA offseason (apparently they didn't assign a rank to that ?), IMO their position rankings are accurate and fair. Afterall we were by record the worst team in the NFL last year and while we all may be very biased about the Texans, we should try to keep a grip on reality. I mean 2-14, what would you expect ? But very soon now, we'll have a chance to change all of that !

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Here's how I would LIKE to see it play out (while still being realistic):

Colts: 10-6
Jags: 9-7
Titans: 9-7
Texans: 8-8

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2006, 11:49 AM

I'm hoping the Texans get that many wins.

I don't see the Titans getting that many wins. I don't expect a lot out of Volek or Young.

I just don't know about the Jags. I didn't feel like they were a good team last year but they still had a great record. From where I'm sitting, they didn't improve in the offseason. I think the Jags are going to fall back this year but maybe I just don't know the Jags well enough.

I see the Colts going 12-4. Everyone knows their weakness but I don't think most people can exploit it. They'll be hurt by losing James but I don't think they're going to lose that much.

wrestler4life
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I just think that 9 wins is an awful lot to predict for a team that only won 2 games last year. I would be ecstatic woth 6!

the wonger need food
07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I just think that 9 wins is an awful lot to predict for a team that only won 2 games last year. I would be ecstatic woth 6!

A few examples of worst to (first) playoff teams in recent history...

2002 Dallas Cowboys 5-11
2003 Dallas Cowboys 10-6

2003 San Diego Chargers 4-12
2004 San Diego Chargers 12-4

2004 Chicago Bears 5-11
2005 Chicago Bears 11-5

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM

2002 Dallas Cowboys 5-11
2003 Dallas Cowboys 10-6

2004 Chicago Bears 5-11
2005 Chicago Bears 11-5

Yeah but those teams didn't only win 2 games

OzzO
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah, but they turned it around with +5, +8, +6 wins the following year - so that would take our 2 win team to 7, 8, or 10 wins.... how 'bout that Mr. math logic? :tease:

KingRat
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM

2002 Dallas Cowboys 5-11
2003 Dallas Cowboys 10-6

2004 Chicago Bears 5-11
2005 Chicago Bears 11-5

2005 Houston Texans 2-14
2006 Houston Texans 14-2

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but they turned it around with +5, +8, +6 wins the following year - so that would take our 2 win team to 7, 8, or 10 wins.... how 'bout that Mr. math logic? :tease:

Math was never my strong suit.

South Texan
07-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Football would be boring if it really were that predictable. So when I read the "experts" comments and ratings, I take them with a grain of salt.

Wonder what the odds were going into last season that Pittsburg would win the big one.

With all the intangibles and a ball with pointy ends that bounces really funny, all sorts of interesting things can happen. :cool:

TexanFan881
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM

It's definately 10. The other two don't make as much sense as 10 wins. :yahoo:

hadaad
07-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I love how a Titans fan's unrealistic dreams still include Indianapolis winning the division.

That's kinda funny.

HOU-TEX
07-17-2006, 05:14 PM
I love how a Titans fan's unrealistic dreams still include Indianapolis winning the division.

That's kinda funny.

It's Tennesee, what do you expect?:stirpot: 9-7, that's some funny stuff right there.:bananasplit:

BigDTexansFan
07-19-2006, 01:07 AM

thanks for letting us know, so we can tell Michael Irvin Tennessee has his magic pipe and is making use of it

kcwilson
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Just another eastcoast draft blurb, but the best of a bad lot at that.

Of course they always downgrade us at the beginning. I think they are way off in their won/loss prediction. No way do we go 3-13. I think we can crack even this year, at least 8-8, and with a break or two, better than that.

If DD can get that knee together in time, I would bump that RB grade up to a B+.

I will bet the offensive line will be better than C-. If things come together, and the injury bug doesn't bite too deep, I would bump the grade up to at least a B.

LBs C+ may be pretty close, but I think with the new defense we can do at least B-, maybe even better.

CBs C- is pretty brutal. IF pBurnt can have a good contract year, we can better that grade to a B, especially if we get a better pass rush out of the front four. And we will do better than, what was it, 7 ints. I am banking on 17 to 21.

East Coast blurb or not, you have to be objective about this... While there is reason to believe that aspects of the team will improve, I think the writer is fair in assessing that the OL is a C - . Last year, we were an F, and bumping up two grades already to a slightly average OL is about right.

With regards to CBs, they are our weakest position depth wise and C-, again is slightly lower than average, which is fair. Someone has to step up on D, but I don't believe the current crop are the CBs that will take this position to a B.

Of course, these grades are from a talent perspective. It would be nice for the author to have contributed something about the coaching staff and strategy. A lot of the 'ifs' proposed to increase the grades of the positions is dependent on the coaching abilities and system. Coaching and strategy will be what drives up the potential of the position players.