PDA

View Full Version : Texans still looking for players to improve the roster

Texans34Life
07-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:46:18 -0700

Sports Xchange reports the Houston Texans still would like to add a veteran running back and fullback into the mix by training camp, but they have yet to make any major moves.

TexanFan881
07-16-2006, 01:01 AM
We need a veteran RB really bad because if DD gets hurt we don't have much behind him. We have Wali Lundy and I hope he will be able to have a great year, but I think it's a little far fetched for me to think a rookie 6th round pick can come in and be very effective right off the bat. We don't need to be using Smith as a full time backup and Morency's problems adapting to the offense so far this offseason is the reason why we are looking at players not on the team to be a backup in the first place. We have a good situational back in Antowain Smith, but we don't need to be using him every down and DD has had his problems with injuries and we need to be secure at backup RB.

texan279
07-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I keep forgetting we have Antowain Smith now but another vet running back would not hurt at all. I have lost interest in the whole Bennett thing at this point, the Saints hold the upper hand in that deal whoever they make a deal with.

Coach C.
07-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Not really interested in getting a veteran running back. Antowain Smith in spot duty is enough for me. Between Morency, Lundy, and Chris Taylor I think we have more than enough talent. Chris Taylor is right now a darkhorse pick for me, I have seen the kid work and he reminds me of a Priest Holmes type of guy. He is unherald, but has loads of talent and just needs to get the opportunity to show it. He should look great in preseason if he keeps up the work. I would like to see us get a young veteran corner to help in the secondary.

aj.
07-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Agree on Taylor. I wrote this on June 8 : For those looking for an early sleeper, look no further than Chris Taylor. The 6-0, 224-pound running back out of Indiana is taking full advantage of a nicked up running back corps and made several impressive runs during full-team drills. Taylor has good size and adequate speed and could be one of those guys who really benefits from the Texans’ new system.

I also wrote this in the aftermath af that article amid accusations of overhype: Chris Taylor is impressive in the context of Jason Anderson being impressive two years ago .... just trying to point out new guys who make you go hmmmm on the sideline. I wasn't the only observer who noticed him.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
http://texans.scout.com/2/536144.html Here's something I found that I have'nt seen on the MB. Not the most impressive players but looks like the pickings right now are thin to say the least. Just info though I'd pass on.

the wonger need food
07-16-2006, 12:10 PM
http://texans.scout.com/2/536144.html Here's something I found that I have'nt seen on the MB. Not the most impressive players but looks like the pickings right now are thin to say the least. Just info though I'd pass on.

Yeah, these guys tried out over almost 2 months ago and didn't get an offer.

It looks like the Titans might be shopping a RB... http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=50985

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-16-2006, 12:20 PM
IMO I don't see the Texans being able to pick someone up until TC cuts start happening, unfortunely that means leftovers that could'nt make their first teams roster or their pratice squad. Anybody know on any RB's on the cap bubble or have those players be cut aready?

nunusguy
07-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Between Morency, Lundy, and Chris Taylor I think we have more than enough talent.
May very well be, but more importantly does Kubiak & Co. really feel that way ? Even though they took Mario with the #1 and not Bush, its been widely reported that they wanted to move back into the first round (using their #2 and another pick), to get Laurence Maroney, a back they liked a lot who ran with the ZB scheme in college at Minnesota. Of course the Pats moved too quick for them to pull off a trade.
Then all the ongoing talk about getting Bennent from the Saints, you've got to know that Kubiak is not totally comfortable with the status quo of his running back situation here even though some of the additions may have impressed him in the mini-camp practices, not to mention the element of the added uncertainty of DDs return this year.

Coach C.
07-16-2006, 12:44 PM
AJ I remember that. Chris has slightly more than adequate speed. I dont know if you were close enough on the runs he made to hear Dunta and Peek talking about how damn fast the kid is. He is also quite strong. I think we have a some quality RBs they are just young. I will take young talent over a castaway vet right now. I really do want that extra corner though.

aj.
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, slightly more than adequate is probably about right. He has good burst and is a good receiver which will help. He doesn't have take-it-to-the-house breakaway speed though. He ran 4.53 and 4.55 at his Pro Day on turf which was a disappointment since he had run high 4.4's in the past. He's a no-nonsense workhorse type that could could see a lot of action in preseason.

I was standing on the sidelines at the practice facility when I made those observations and was close enough to hear more than I needed to hear, but I didn't pick up on the particular conversation you're talking about.

His Pro Day results: CHRIS TAYLOR ran between 4.50 and 4.55 in the 40... some watches had him as fast as 4.48 and 4.53 on both runs… 4.22 short shuttle… 6.96 in the 3-cone… 11.20 60-yard… 34” vertical… 9’7” broad jump… also completed 15 reps of 225 pounds… weighed in at 511, 222 pounds… has been timed in the 4.45 range several times in the past… his straight-line speed will capture the attention of teams, but he needs to continue working on his flexibility, change-of-direction and hands… just over 20 teams were represented at this workout… all times were recorded on an indoor, AstroTurf-type surface, which scouts recognize as being faster than average… although none of the times listed would be adjusted.

DocBar
07-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, slightly more than adequate is probably about right. He has good burst and is a good receiver which will help. He doesn't have take-it-to-the-house breakaway speed though. He ran 4.53 and 4.55 at his Pro Day on turf which was a disappointment since he had run high 4.4's in the past. He's a no-nonsense workhorse type that could could see a lot of action in preseason.

I was standing on the sidelines at the practice facility when I made those observations and was close enough to hear more than I needed to hear, but I didn't pick up on the particular conversation you're talking about.

His Pro Day results: CHRIS TAYLOR ran between 4.50 and 4.55 in the 40... some watches had him as fast as 4.48 and 4.53 on both runs… 4.22 short shuttle… 6.96 in the 3-cone… 11.20 60-yard… 34” vertical… 9’7” broad jump… also completed 15 reps of 225 pounds… weighed in at 511, 222 pounds… has been timed in the 4.45 range several times in the past… his straight-line speed will capture the attention of teams, but he needs to continue working on his flexibility, change-of-direction and hands… just over 20 teams were represented at this workout… all times were recorded on an indoor, AstroTurf-type surface, which scouts recognize as being faster than average… although none of the times listed would be adjusted.
One of the things I find interesting is the difference in "speed" between 40yd. times and actual game time speeds. What I mean is that some players run very fast 40's but aren't nearly as fast when all the equipment is added and some guys are, or seem, as fast with the pads added. In y'all's opinion, is there a distinct difference between the two and, if so, just how important is that difference? I've seen many RB's and WR lacking "breakaway" speed do exactly that and break one for long yardage.

nunusguy
07-16-2006, 02:45 PM
One of the things I find interesting is the difference in "speed" between 40yd. times and actual game time speeds. What I mean is that some players run very fast 40's but aren't nearly as fast when all the equipment is added and some guys are, or seem, as fast with the pads added. In y'all's opinion, is there a distinct difference between the two and, if so, just how important is that difference? I've seen many RB's and WR lacking "breakaway" speed do exactly that and break one for long yardage.
I think this is pretty much a fallacy. If a guy is fast, he's fast with or without
pads. Same goes for those who aren't fast: its silly to think that some players "bump up their speed whne they put the pads.
I suspect the distinction is more between flat speed or top end speed vs. quickness or explosiveness.

DocBar
07-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I think this is pretty much a fallacy. If a guy is fast, he's fast with or without
pads. Same goes for those who aren't fast: its silly to think that some players "bump up their speed whne they put the pads.
I suspect the distinction is more between flat speed or top end speed vs. quickness or explosiveness.
I dunno, but those are good points you made. I wasn't really talking so much about the difference between quick and fast, though. Some guys that don't run quick times seem to be "as fast as they need to be" when on the field. They find another gear when being chased. Jerry Rice is the 1st name that comes to mind.

TK_Gamer
07-16-2006, 03:04 PM
yeah its an acceleration thing, for some it only shows on short runs, like emmit smith , he could accelerate on a 20 yard burst, but ran out of nitrous after that. come to think of it, barry sanders often ran out of gas 40 yards down the field. but on short runs he looked alot faster

The Pencil Neck
07-16-2006, 03:23 PM
yeah its an acceleration thing, for some it only shows on short runs, like emmit smith , he could accelerate on a 20 yard burst, but ran out of nitrous after that. come to think of it, barry sanders often ran out of gas 40 yards down the field. but on short runs he looked alot faster

It's a fast-twitch thing. There was an interesting study done at the '68 Olympics. They had a bunch of athletes compete in OTHER sports just to get some test data. One interesting thing was that the olympic lifters (even the really huge superheavyweights) had a much faster 10-20 yard burst than even the guys that trained in the 40. They didn't have the technique for coming out of the blocks, but because OL training emphasizes quick burst/explosiveness, they could FLY out of the blocks. And then totally run out of gas. :)

For me, the 40 time is interesting to look at but for a RB, I'd prefer having that initial burst into the hole. Most RB's don't break a 20+ run more than 10-15 times a year. If you can average getting 4-5 yards a carry but only have a max run of 15 yards, I'd prefer that to someone who breaks a 40 yarder every 30 touches and only gets 2-3 yards per carry on the other attempts. So running for 40 yards is usually irrelevant and unnecessary for a RB.

TK_Gamer
07-16-2006, 03:29 PM
It's a fast-twitch thing. There was an interesting study done at the '68 Olympics. They had a bunch of athletes compete in OTHER sports just to get some test data. One interesting thing was that the olympic lifters (even the really huge superheavyweights) had a much faster 10-20 yard burst than even the guys that trained in the 40. They didn't have the technique for coming out of the blocks, but because OL training emphasizes quick burst/explosiveness, they could FLY out of the blocks. And then totally run out of gas. :)

For me, the 40 time is interesting to look at but for a RB, I'd prefer having that initial burst into the hole. Most RB's don't break a 20+ run more than 10-15 times a year. If you can average getting 4-5 yards a carry but only have a max run of 15 yards, I'd prefer that to someone who breaks a 40 yarder every 30 touches and only gets 2-3 yards per carry on the other attempts. So running for 40 yards is usually irrelevant and unnecessary for a RB.
yeah i agree, that and avoiding that first hit, or avoiding the full brunt of the first hit, e. g emmit smith , priest holmes

Hutch13
07-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Travis Henry would be a good pickup for us.

TK_Gamer
07-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Travis Henry would be a good pickup for us.

I agree on that one, I didnt know he was available?

The Pencil Neck
07-16-2006, 03:47 PM
yeah i agree, that and avoiding that first hit, or avoiding the full brunt of the first hit, e. g emmit smith , priest holmes

Exactly.

And I took a quick glance at some stats and most RB's are doing good to get 3-5 20+ yard runs in a season. That makes the 40 time even less applicable in most cases.

Hutch13
07-16-2006, 04:33 PM

im not sure but they already have chris brown and lendale white.

Hutch13
07-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Look what i found, right when i say that we should get Travis Henry looks like it will be determined on how Lendale does during training camp http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-ravisenryuturewithit&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

DocBar
07-16-2006, 04:39 PM
im not sure but they already have chris brown and lendale white.
M*A*S*H and fumbles!!!!! I love those guys.

HJam72
07-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I think running stride (or length of stride, to be more specific) has something to do with it too, but not to disagree with what's been said.

CloakNNNdagger
07-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Henry has not shown himself to be anything with real "potential." His stats are at best average, he has been involved with substance abuse and has a fairly extensive injury history. That's just what we need.......a mediocre, cripple, druggy. What do you think Mr. McNair?

will be showcased in preseason for trade purposes (http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=50985)

It's one thing to bring in a rookie running back that draws comparisons to some of the greatest backs in NFL history. It's quite another to bring in a guy who careened down the draft boards due to an injury at his pro day, a bit of a perceived attitude problem, and a general inability to push away from the table. That doesn't mean LenDale White is no good. It means that he's no lock to be good. And since Chris Brown and Travis Henry are pretty much locks to be about average, the Titans look unlikely to have a particularly good group of running backs this year.

fox sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5785564)

Capster67
07-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I noticed today that Jonathan Wells is still floating out there. Hasn't been picked up by anyone. Any chance we go with a (semi) proven commodity?

NoBullTexan
07-16-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll be glad when this site finally starts showing the depth chart again. On Ourlads they are still not Showing Chris Taylor on our depth chart. Yet eyeryone is talking about him. What is the real dope?

Michael Bennet, I saw somewhere, was traded to the Rams, I think it was.

What is wrong with Dominick Davis' knee? What is taking it so long to recuperate?

CloakNNNdagger
07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
I'll be glad when this site finally starts showing the depth chart again. On Ourlads they are still not Showing Chris Taylor on our depth chart. Yet eyeryone is talking about him. What is the real dope?

Michael Bennet, I saw somewhere, was traded to the Rams, I think it was.

What is wrong with Dominick Davis' knee? What is taking it so long to recuperate?

As reported previously, the Saints have received offers from several teams which they say have been inadequate to consumate a trade. The Rams are one of those teams.

MorKnolle
07-17-2006, 12:33 AM
I noticed today that Jonathan Wells is still floating out there. Hasn't been picked up by anyone. Any chance we go with a (semi) proven commodity?

Not a chance they bring back Jonathan Wells, he does not fit a zone blocking scheme, he is not better in any way than what we already have on the team, and they wouldn't have let him go in the first place if they wanted him.

Dime
07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Not a chance they bring back Jonathan Wells, he does not fit a zone blocking scheme, he is not better in any way than what we already have on the team, and they wouldn't have let him go in the first place if they wanted him.

I , for one, would love to Wells on our team again

ensign_lee
07-17-2006, 01:01 AM

I do not agree with this. Who says that he does not fit a zone blocking scheme? Hasn't that been the only scheme that the Texans have run recently? And didn't he step in and have some REALLY great yardage days when DD went down?

Bobo
07-17-2006, 01:29 AM
I do not agree with this. Who says that he does not fit a zone blocking scheme? Hasn't that been the only scheme that the Texans have run recently? And didn't he step in and have some REALLY great yardage days when DD went down?

You are correct. The failure to re-sign Jonathan Wells is something only Kubiak Kool-Aid drinkers would dare defend. Wells helped the Texans win one of their two games last year when he gained 88 yards, scored two TDs and added 33 yards through the air. Wells has proved he can get it done off the bench. This excuse about "he doesn't agree with the system" is simply a smoke screen used to cover every bad decision Kubiak has made.

mexican_texan
07-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Stephen Davis is a free agent, but he would have the same problem as our other Davis. Of the guys available, TJ Duckett is probably the best fit here, as he already plays in a similar system.

HJam72
07-17-2006, 02:34 AM

What we were running is not a real ZBS. I always liked Wells very much too, and even thought we did better overall as a team with him than DD (for some reason that I won't get into right now), but Wells is not a true ZBS RB. If we had brought in another HC who doesn't use it (exclusively anyway), I would have been really pulling to keep Wells around, but Kubiak it is :yahoo: and we've gotta do this thing all the way.

TK_Gamer
07-17-2006, 04:30 AM
we will prolly have to wait for the waiver/fa casualties to pop up during camp when they make the big roster adjustments, some good veteran talent usualy leaks out then. remember we dont need a 30 carry back, about 15 to 20 carrys should do.

powerfuldragon
07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
What we were running is not a real ZBS.
So what we're running is a BSZBS?

GP
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I've been a HUGE fan of Domanick Davis.

I have heard whispers from very reliable sources that his knee is in pretty bad shape, and that it's not looking good.

This is no bull. And I'm not a DD basher.

So, "Yeah," Kubiak and Co. are very desperate for a RB that they feel offers the starter quality we need. I envision Antowain Smith getting cut the instant we secure a free agent RB that Kubiak feels can make the team. Otherwise, Smith might make the team just on luck alone.

wrestler4life
07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
So we have basically been BS'd for months now that his knee was all better?
Glad we signed him for 25 mill!

BigBull17
07-17-2006, 02:09 PM

But after 40 yards, Berry had juked the opposing defensemen twice each...

TK_Gamer
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
yeah great to watch, it was really too bad he ended up on the lions

DocBar
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Barry could run 40 yds. to net 2

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Barry could run 40 yds. to net 2

Most of the most exciting 0 yard runs ever.

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
I have heard whispers from very reliable sources that his knee is in pretty bad shape, and that it's not looking good.

This makes me very, very sad. I really want Domanick to pull through.

Historyhorn
07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
If DD is really in bad shape, then we've got troubles.

I think that people will find that Morency will fit the ZBS that we will now run with surprising efficiency. In watching him do his thing at OSU, he was very quick to the hole and a slashing/one cut type of runner.

I'm not sure why he hasn't been as productive or gotten as many touches here with the Texans, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become another one of those "no-name" backs who in the Bronco system turns into a 1,000 yard rusher.

Go Texans

TexanFan881
07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
If DD is really in bad shape, then we've got troubles.

I think that people will find that Morency will fit the ZBS that we will now run with surprising efficiency. In watching him do his thing at OSU, he was very quick to the hole and a slashing/one cut type of runner.

I'm not sure why he hasn't been as productive or gotten as many touches here with the Texans, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become another one of those "no-name" backs who in the Bronco system turns into a 1,000 yard rusher.

Go Texans

Supposedly Morency has done poor adjusting to the ZBS so far and that's the reason we need to look at a solid backup RB. He'd have to improve a lot quickly to make your assumtion right. Hopefully you are right though. I think Wali's the backup and Chris Taylor and Morency are close and that Morency is going to have to pick up his game.

edo783
07-17-2006, 04:28 PM

The problem has been that he hasn't been one cut and go. He has been trying to make several moves and that seems to have POed Kubes a bit from what some folks have said.

Meloy
07-17-2006, 04:32 PM
What is the difference between the zone blocking Kube's runs and what we used last season? No one and I mean no one has been able to explain. I know the new one uses smaller linemen, but are blocking responsiblities the same? I have trouble getting excited but I know Kubes was successful @ Denver with that offense.

MorKnolle
07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
What is the difference between the zone blocking Kube's runs and what we used last season? No one and I mean no one has been able to explain. I know the new one uses smaller linemen, but are blocking responsiblities the same? I have trouble getting excited but I know Kubes was successful @ Denver with that offense.

Half of the problem with our past system is we didn't have people that properly fit it, i.e. guys like Todd Wade and Victor Riley as our starting OTs. I think Morency will develop into a good ZBS RB, he danced around too much last year but that is something that can be fixed when Morency gets more than one week of OTAs to work on the offense. I think he can be as good of a RB for our system than Domanick Davis and he doesn't have the chronic knee problems at this point in time.

Wells had 4 games of over 50 rushing yards last year, with a season high of 87 yards on 28 carries, hardly impressive stats. For all the talk about Morency dancing too much when he runs and does not fit a zone blocking scheme, Wells dances even more and he weighs 40 lbs. more (i.e. should run with power, which he doesn't), and is slower.

El Tejano
07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
I think we have to remember that VMo was a rookie last year and he had some good games once he decided how he was going to play. In the preseason he was the only bright spot we had.

HOU-TEX
07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I think we have to remember that VMo was a rookie last year and he had some good games once he decided how he was going to play. In the preseason he was the only bright spot we had.

I think he'll pan out as well. Although I'd still be keeping an eye out for a good RB to pick up. I don't think DD will be ready to go. If he is, I just don't see him being reliable at all. :brickwall

South Texan
07-17-2006, 06:37 PM
While I agree a solid RB would be a good catch for us, I am more worried about the secondary... doesn't look like much depth there on the corners.

Anyone know much about CB Ty Law? I saw today on the NFL site that he is available.

What I don't know is how he would fit in our proposed system, and can we afford him.

Any insight from the experts on here would be much appreciated!:confused:

TexanFan881
07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
With us cutting Wade and deciding to eat up his whole salary this year, I think that means were not looking at any big time players like Ty Law. I hope I'm wrong though but I don't think we can fit his huge contract he wants into our salaray cap.

Texans_Chick
07-17-2006, 07:26 PM
The problem has been that he hasn't been one cut and go. He has been trying to make several moves and that seems to have POed Kubes a bit from what some folks have said.

Kubiak said it in the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3874260.html) on May 19th:

"He's more of a shifty-type runner, and that's not what we want him to do," Kubiak said of Morency. "We tell them they get one cut and then they have to get the ball downfield. He's being told a few different things than maybe he's been told in the past, but he's responded well and practiced well."

That is the only thing that has been said. The only thing. At the beginning of OTAs.

They have been looking for more runners, and I am guessing it is because they want more experience.

We shouldn't read more into it than just one article. Though I will say that Morency is not shaped like a typical Bronco back, (nor most people on earth for that matter. Fireplugs maybe)

With Morency, I would be more concerned that he has been having issues with Plantar Fascitis because sometimes that can hang on some.

Basically, the deal with the running backs is that DD would good for the offense, but hasn't been able to practice because of the knee, and we are likely to know more come training camp whether he will be OK.

Under Shanahan/Kubiak, Denver typically hasn't wanted to start rookies. Even their more talented ones have had to wait. But on the other hand, in our circumstance, we may not have a choice unless we get someone new quicklly. All the running backs are starting new with a new system, so the difference between an experienced player who knows the system isn't as great as it would be with an experienced Denver back and a rookie.

Buzz
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
If they want a guy who can be a backup RB, I don't think Jesse Chatman signed with a team yet. He played well for a few games when Tomlinson was out and he started for the Chargers, and didn't play much for the Saints last year. He's from Houston if I remember correctly, so I bet the Texans would be a good fit for him.

Coach C.
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Morency is likely the best RB we have on the team as far as overall talent goes. He has enough speed to take some to the house and he is strong enough to shrug off tackles. He can also catch the ball well eventhough it is not a large part of his game. Problem is exactly what Kubiak said, the kid is use to being shifty. You are asking him to change what got him into the NFL and that is hard for some men to do. Morency had one week of practice before he went down with his foot so after he is healthy it should be an interesting battle for carries this year between him, DD, Antowain, and Taylor. Rhodes is not bad, but more a practice squad guy.

the wonger need food
07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Morency is likely the best RB we have on the team as far as overall talent goes. He has enough speed to take some to the house

When did he show this speed? I seem to recall him getting caught from behind on several runs last preseason.

powerfuldragon
07-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Wali Lundy is our man.

Bobo
07-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Wells had 4 games of over 50 rushing yards last year, with a season high of 87 yards on 28 carries, hardly impressive stats. For all the talk about Morency dancing too much when he runs and does not fit a zone blocking scheme, Wells dances even more and he weighs 40 lbs. more (i.e. should run with power, which he doesn't), and is slower.

This is revisionism. Wells did not start and didn't get many touches, so you can't come down on him if he didn't rack up a lot of yards. But when he did have to step in for Davis, he did very, very well. His stats, when you take everything into account, were indeed impressive.

edo783
07-17-2006, 09:00 PM
I think everyone is a bit "Jumpy" about the RB situation, but IMO I doubt we have a real problem. Lundy or Morency or both or even the other kid (?) will be good enough and Smith will be in the mix filling in and giving veteran help and at some point DD will be back at full strength. Then we will see, but it's a just bit uncomfortable at this point.

MorKnolle
07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
When did he show this speed? I seem to recall him getting caught from behind on several runs last preseason.

His speed isn't anything real special, but he has slightly better straight line speed than Domanick Davis. He won't break many 40+ yarders but he could churn out a few more of those than Davis if given the same number of opportunities. I really think he can turn into a better RB than Domanick as long as he can stay healthy too (he is actually older than Davis although he has much less miles on his legs).

Kaiser Toro
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
I think everyone is a bit "Jumpy" about the RB situation, but IMO I doubt we have a real problem. Lundy or Morency or both or even the other kid (?) will be good enough and Smith will be in the mix filling in and giving veteran help and at some point DD will be back at full strength. Then we will see, but it's a just bit uncomfortable at this point.

I am for the most part in this camp. However, I do feel that Morency earns the position mid way through the season.

TexanFan881
07-17-2006, 10:41 PM

When we would end up having our rookie 6th round pick, disapointing 2nd year 3rd round pick, a veteran situational back not suited to be a feature back, and an undrafted free agent be in our starting RB competition, yes we do have a problem.

MorKnolle
07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
When we would end up having our rookie 6th round pick, disapointing 2nd year 3rd round pick, a veteran situational back not suited to be a feature back, and an undrafted free agent be in our starting RB competition, yes we do have a problem.

I agree to an extent, but at the same time Terrell Davis started as a rookie 6th rounder (1117 yards and 7 TDs as a rookie), then Olandis Gary came in and started the last 12 games of his rookie year as a 4th round draft pick (1159 yards and 7 TDs, filled in after Terrell Davis got injured), Mike Anderson stepped in as a rookie 6th round pick and started from the 2nd game on (1487 yards and 15 TDs), Clinton Portis started from day 1 as a 2nd round pick and put up 3099 yards and 29 TDs in two years, and Tatum Bell made a pretty nice impact in his 2nd year after being taken in the 2nd round (921 yards and 8 TDs splitting carries with Anderson), so Kubiak's system has been able to find many diamonds in the rough to plug into their running game. I'm fully confident that they will find a way to put up a solid running game. Adding a better RB could definitely take our running game to the next level, but I'm still confident we will have a solid running game with our current stable of RBs.

infantrycak
07-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I am for the most part in this camp. However, I do feel that Morency earns the position mid way through the season.

Are you predicting an injury or suggesting Morency is going to do so well he gets the starting nod from a healthy DD?

If it is the latter, we need to bet a dinner at the Black Lab or something (actually you can make it Castle Hill).

Kaiser Toro
07-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Are you predicting an injury or suggesting Morency is going to do so well he gets the starting nod from a healthy DD?

If it is the latter, we need to bet a dinner at the Black Lab or something (actually you can make it Castle Hill).

Been on record after the draft that I feel that way. Hardly quantifiable, just a feel that he earns it straight up by week 9. Not familiar with the Black Lab. Castle Hill Austin?

GP
07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Basically, the deal with the running backs is that DD would good for the offense, but hasn't been able to practice because of the knee, and we are likely to know more come training camp whether he will be OK.

I saw a video interview of DD, and he was saying how he didn't have swelling after a walk-through (or some sort of low-level practice routine).

Then, I read a report somewhere that stated he couldn't finish a walk-through (or some sort of low-level practice routine) without the knee getting swollen and/or fluid on it. That he had to stop.

That's not good.

My guess: DD sits out the entire season...if our coaching staff is smarter than the previous staff.

Get this guy a year of complete rest, or he'll be ruined forever. RBs already have a short lifespan, I'd lose a year to get 4-5 years in return.

Runner
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I saw a video interview of DD, and he was saying how he didn't have swelling after a walk-through (or some sort of low-level practice routine).

Then, I read a report somewhere that stated he couldn't finish a walk-through (or some sort of low-level practice routine) without the knee getting swollen and/or fluid on it. That he had to stop.

That's not good.

My guess: DD sits out the entire season...if our coaching staff is smarter than the previous staff.

Get this guy a year of complete rest, or he'll be ruined forever. RBs already have a short lifespan, I'd lose a year to get 4-5 years in return.

I've heard some of the same things. I don't know about sitting out a whole year though - if it's that bad would he ever come back?

Even good running backs can have short careers - I hope we aren't seeing an abrupt end to DD's. I'd much rather have him on the field this year and next year and...

El Tejano
07-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Sometimes a good player goes down for a year and a great player comes out of it by making the most of a situation ie...Bledsoe and Brady.

edo783
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
The question in my mind is; why is he having trouble on what was/should be a fairly routine proceedure? Is something else going on? Surgury didn't go well? Something doesn't pass the smell test for me at this time.

AFD1717
07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I was really hoping Davis would have about 2200 all purpose yards this year to go with Mario's 15 sacks so that we could really thumb our nose at the "Should have taken Bush" crowd. Now I'm afraid that even if Davis plays, he won't be 100%.

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2006, 10:55 AM

I wouldn’t bet the farm on either of them. Neither can be expected to return with any semblance of predictability. Morency with his plantar fasciitis may not be able to return with the repeated trauma as a RB, and if he returns may not be able to go full speed without reinjury. DD, after continued swelling and tenderness 7 months post “clean up arthroscopy” may very well be looking at return to the knife. This chronic postop problem can be from particles left behind from the original surgery, chondromalacia, extended meniscus tear, tendinitis or osteoarthritis from cartilage worn down to bone.........none of these problems are particularly desireable for any RB that plans to return to duty in the near future. For that matter, depending on the exact underlying problem, the status of simply “returning,” period, comes into question. I hope that both make that great turnaround, but I personally am very guarded about the when's and if's surrounding their returns.

Bobo
07-18-2006, 12:08 PM

A.) If the coaching staff had any inkling of this being possible before draft day, then they are far from being smart. B.) Is Shane Mack available?

HOU-TEX
07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Maybe we can lure Bettis out of retirement, or Earl for that matter.:brickwall

El Tejano
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
This sounds bad and is going to hurt this team if we don't get something done right away.

TexanFan881
07-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Chris Brown! Chris Brown! Please, LenDale, do good so we can get Chris. We need him more than the Titans!

El Tejano
07-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey the Titans owe us for the Babin deal.

nunusguy
07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Here's what puzzles me about the way Kubiak has handled the RB situation.
Maybe he didn't take Bush, but he must have had enough concerns about DD and the position that, by most reports, he wanted to move back into the 1st round and get Laurnece Mahoney. Ok, he didn't move fast enough to beat the Pats who took the Minnesota RB at 21, so get a back a little bit later in the Draft. But wait all the way to the 6th round to get that back ?
I loved DeMeco in the 2nd and think taking the 2 OLineman with our third round picks was great. But did we really need to use our 4th rounder on another TE after getting Putzier in FA. And especially after almost moving up
to the first round and probably use our 2 and one of the 3s to get Mahoney.
It seems like by the time you get to the 4th round, you finally get a RB. I don't get it ?

Runner
07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Here's what puzzles me about the way Kubiak has handled the RB situation.
Maybe he didn't take Bush, but he must have had enough concerns about DD and the position that, by most reports, he wanted to move back into the 1st round and get Laurnece Mahoney. Ok, he didn't move fast enough to beat the Pats who took the Minnesota RB at 21, so get a back a little bit later in the Draft. But wait all the way to the 6th round to get that back ?
I loved DeMeco in the 2nd and think taking the 2 OLineman with our third round picks was great. But did we really need to use our 4th rounder on another TE after getting Putzier in FA. And especially after almost moving up
to the first round and probably use our 2 and one of the 3s to get Mahoney.
It seems like by the time you get to the 4th round, you finally get a RB. I don't get it ?

Good question - maybe the simple answer is......they made a mistake. Then again maybe they are confident Davis will be ready. Maybe the RBs we have will do the job. Maybe...

We may have to wait for some hindsight to answer this one.

infantrycak
07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
by most reports, he wanted to move back into the 1st round and get Laurnece Mahoney.

The Texans weren't trying to get Maroney, they were trying to move up to 26th to get DeAngelo Williams ahead of the Panthers. The Bills out bid them for the pick to move up and take McCargo.

TexanFan881
07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Man if we had DeAngelo Williams right now we would be sitting pretty. Looks like we need him more than we need DeMeco right now.

El Tejano
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Not true. When rebuilding your defense needs to be in order. Our LBs is just as bad when it comes to depth. The Demeco pick was the right pick after we couldn't draft back up into the 1st.

I think some serviceable backs will surface but then again we might find a real good one in camp.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Man if we had DeAngelo Williams right now we would be sitting pretty. Looks like we need him more than we need DeMeco right now.

DeAngelo is a BADASSSSS. Wow i love watching that guy play football. If he was on USC he would have done the same things that Reggie did. But he ran behind the O-Line at MEMPHIS. Imagine if he had the O-Line Reggie did..........................

TexanFan881
07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
He was the right pick after we couldn't trade back into the first round. But I sure would have liked to see DeAngelo in a Texans uni right now. We wouldn't be talking about trading for Michael Bennett or Chris Brown because we'd have a late first round draft pick who should've been a top 10 pick. I love the Demeco pick but I like DeAngelo a lot too and I think we are fine at LB with Greenwood, Cowart, Rainier, Orr, and Wong (if he comes back). I don't think our LB corps is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. There was no RB worth the #33 pick but there was one worth it at #26.

TexanFan881
07-18-2006, 02:24 PM
DeAngelo is a BADASSSSS. Wow i love watching that guy play football. If he was on USC he would have done the same things that Reggie did. But he ran behind the O-Line at MEMPHIS. Imagine if he had the O-Line Reggie did..........................

Exactly how I feel. Talking about him know really makes me wish we had him and he was on my fantasy football team lol :yahoo:

nunusguy
07-18-2006, 04:00 PM
The Texans weren't trying to get Maroney, they were trying to move up to 26th to get DeAngelo Williams ahead of the Panthers. The Bills out bid them for the pick to move up and take McCargo.
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. It still begs the same question, if Kubiak was concerned enough about the RB situation to make it a top priority and nearly move up into the first round to get one of the top tier backs, then after not doing so why all of a sudden make drafting a RB an incidental priority and wait until the next to last round of the whole Draft in the second day to take a back ?

infantrycak
07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. It still begs the same question, if Kubiak was concerned enough about the RB situation to make it a top priority and nearly move up into the first round to get one of the top tier backs, then after not doing so why all of a sudden make drafting a RB an incidental priority and wait until the next to last round of the whole Draft in the second day to take a back ?

I don't think it was made an incidental priority at all. The main point of the draft is to add talent. Ryans was viewed by many as 1st rounder. Winston and Spencer were both also value/talent picks and at positions of undeniable need. The 1st time you can really say things got iffy was in the 4th. The only RB's taken in the 4th were Leon Washington at #20 who is not considered an every down RB and PJ Daniels at #35 who is also not considered starter quality. Sometimes the chips just don't fall so you get everything you want.

MorKnolle
07-18-2006, 04:13 PM

I think they prefered Maroney to DeAngelo but would have taken either one available, and either way They were trying to send their 2nd and 4th to the Bears to move up and grab a RB but the Bills offered a 2nd and 3rd and jumped in front of us. As much as I like Demeco I would have given him and Owen Daniels up for DeAngelo Williams or Laurence Maroney.

After the big 3 RBs (Bush, Maroney, and DeAngelo) there obviously weren't any RBs that they valued over Demeco Ryans, so they took Ryans, and after Addai and LenDale White there weren't any standout RBs, and by the 4th round pick there weren't really any RBs left that stood out over the others. I'm not sure why they drafted Owen Daneils there (I would have gone for a DB first), but I don't think any of them available are much, if any, better than Lundy.

GP
07-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Been on record after the draft that I feel that way. Hardly quantifiable, just a feel that he earns it straight up by week 9. Not familiar with the Black Lab. Castle Hill Austin?

While a lot of people here were bashing Morency, wondering why he hadn't performed as expected or hoped for, I had attributed his sub-par showings with what I believe to be a situation of "waiting his turn."

Morency, to me, seems like a guy who has his head on straight. He is talented. He is smart. He's actually a little more mature because he's older than most guys in his draft class. With that age, and with that talent, comes the idea of character.

In my eyes, Morency will not show us the "goods" until DD is out of action. Last year, DD was in and out. There was never a chance for him to be "the guy." The spot, under Capers' regime, was always given to the incumbent...just as it was for all positions with Capers.

I don't think Morency was intentionally holding anything back out of respect for DD, etc., but I think that subconsciously he wasn't able to run with 100% focus and concentration because he knew as soon as DD was healthy, it was DD's rock again.

Bledsoe/Brady was mentioned earlier. I think it might hold true for DD/Morency. I think we have a guy in Morency who is (A) Talented, (B)Mature, and (C)Ready after a year of NFL experience under his belt.

I, too, agree with Kaiser that Morency wins out about mid-season. That's "if" he is healthy. But, the thing about Kubiak's offense is that he always wants a full roster of backs whom he can plug onto the field at a moment's notice.

One thing's for sure: If our running game is ANYTHING less than what we've been used to (for our team) then we are realllllllllllllllllllly going to hear the boos and the "Why, oh why, didn't you draft Reggie Bush?" cat calls from the haters.

Without a good running game, we're in real big heap'uh trouble.

HOU-TEX
07-18-2006, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure I would've given up Demeco for a running back. IMO RB's are expendible (yes there are some exceptions). They don't have the NFL life like LB's do. If not this year you will eventually see that Demeco was the right choice. Don't give up on RB just yet. Coach K will find one, heck he might even already be on the roster.:whip:

infantrycak
07-18-2006, 05:38 PM
As much as I like Demeco I would have given him and Owen Daniels up for DeAngelo Williams or Laurence Maroney.

It would have been Demeco plus Winston to move up for DeAngelo and even more for Maroney.

MorKnolle
07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
It would have been Demeco plus Winston to move up for DeAngelo and even more for Maroney.

If that was the case we would have gotten the trade, we were offering our 2nd and 4th, but Buffalo jumped in with a 2nd and 3rd so Chicago took their deal. If we were offering a 2nd and 3rd we would have been the ones making the trade, and then we would have given up Ryans and Spencer or Winston, which I'm not sure I would give up, but Daniels and Ryans I likely would give up in a heartbeat.

nunusguy
07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
After the big 3 RBs (Bush, Maroney, and DeAngelo) there obviously weren't any RBs that they valued over Demeco Ryans, so they took Ryans, and after Addai and LenDale White there weren't any standout RBs, and by the 4th round pick there weren't really any RBs left that stood out over the others. I'm not sure why they drafted Owen Daneils there (I would have gone for a DB first), but I don't think any of them available are much, if any, better than Lundy.
OK, your explanation (and Infantrycak basically says the same thing) makes perfect sense.
The only remaining thought I have about this subject is, I wonder if there's any chance they wanted to get one of the 2 remaining "big 3 RBs" to pacify
those numerous Texans' fans who were frustrated about the Bush snub ?
And I'm getting more and more convinced as more time passes from Draft Day
back in April that the Texans snubed Bush because he's an NFL prima donna
waiting to happen and would not be consistant with the Texans' persona,
not because he wasn't at the top of the Texans' Draft Board.

cincyTEXAN
07-19-2006, 04:19 PM
imagine if he didn't play in the conference USA

NoBullTexan
07-19-2006, 08:18 PM
You guys will count your blessings once you see Demeco on the field and the difference he will make for our defense.

threetoedpete
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
You guys will count your blessings once you see Demeco on the field and the difference he will make for our defense.

Well you won't have to wait long NO BUll. the first one out of the nfl box is the waterbug, Westbrook. Then Addai, GrandMa & Ronnie Brown...we'll see. If the kid's still standing...I'll buy you a coffee & Kolache. The kid steps up he'll be on the inside track for ROY honors.