PDA

View Full Version : Miami Cheapskates

cuppacoffee
07-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Wonder why Capers isn't the DC of the Dolphins?

" Dom Capers won't have the defensive coordinator title, but that essentially is his job.
''Maybe some day he'll be that, but not this year,'' coach Nick Saban said.

Miami is saving a bundle by withholding that title. Now Houston, which fired him as head coach, must pay Capers $2 million in 2006, and Miami only $300,000."

Sounds like it may be more than just money.

"Maybe some day" sure doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to me.

I suppose Saban wants to be sure that Capers can execute before he gives him the title...:backsout:

Link (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/15018796.htm)

$ 2.3 mil. to be "essentially" a DC ain't bad.

:coffee:

Double Barrel
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM
So coaches get guaranteed contracts but players don't? :um: That ain't right...

That says a lot when a team would rather fire a HC and take a $2 million hit instead of keeping him that extra year.

Thanks to Mr. McNair for being a gazillionaire and having the guts to absorb a loss like that. A lot of owners would just sit on their hands another year instead of making the hard decision.

ledzeppelin229
07-12-2006, 01:01 PM

That says a lot when a team would rather fire a HC and take a $2 million hit instead of keeping him that extra year.

Thanks to Mr. McNair for being a gazillionaire and having the guts to absorb a loss like that. A lot of owners would just sit on their hands another year instead of making the hard decision.

He would lose a lot more than $2 million in revenue if he kept Capers around another year...so in the long run I think it will help him financially to have a fresh start.

infantrycak
07-12-2006, 01:21 PM
McNair is being a pretty nice guy by not refusing to pay the money if Capers obviously functions as the DC under a different title. What next--call all your coaches Head Coaches so none can be hired away to a better position?

Double Barrel
07-12-2006, 02:36 PM
McNair is being a pretty nice guy by not refusing to pay the money if Capers obviously functions as the DC under a different title. What next--call all your coaches Head Coaches so none can be hired away to a better position?

See, that's what I don't get. Reminds me of the Abe Lincoln quote, "How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

threetoedpete
07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Agrred got to figgure the new commish will have this on his radar. They go ape over under reported injuries. Holding up one of the Holy thirty two isn't going to fly.

TheOgre
07-13-2006, 09:32 AM

The only thing is that you never see coaches sit out to renegotiate a contract either. It goes both ways.

I personally hate the guaranteed contracts in basketball and baseball. Guys like Kelvin Cato, Maurice Taylor, Richard Hidalgo, and, recently, Jeff Bagwell, have hamstrung my teams.